Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What would David do?

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 59,574
    Pulpstar said:
    This looks like the basis of an AV thread.....................
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098

Scott_P said:

The Daily Record

@Daily_Record

Why we say stay: Leaders of Scotland's five main political parties issue joint statement backing Remain

Sturgeon needs to sack whoever picked that outfit.
    Agreed!
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Sturgeon needs to sack whoever picked that outfit.

And standing "shoulder to shoulder" with a Tory...
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    I'd like to ask the PB brains trust a question.

I have been asked to cast a proxy vote on Thursday, but I have not received a polling card for it. Do I need it to vote, and if not what do I need to prove my identity?
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Scott_P said:

@arobertwebb: But I wouldn't risk Leave - I wouldn't risk other people's jobs. That's it for me. You don't fuck around with other people's jobs. The end.

What we might call the SeanT dilemma

@KateEMcCann: Ruth's line - and a good one too. Haven't heard it from Remain camp up until this point. https://t.co/uMEYlZEQKT

How can you quote that when you vote Tory and actively vote to get rid of public sector jobs ☺
    kle4 said:

Quite. It's equivalent

No, it isn't.

And if you have appropriated a word because you weren't smart enough to work out what it meant in the first place, can my legion of fans tell us what word we should now use when the accurate and appropriate word would be retweet in it's only definition?
  • BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    Scott_P said:

It's well established what "retweet" means

Yes it is well established, and none of my fans have worked it out yet.

Tragic
    Do you have any fans?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 20m20 minutes ago
    I've been trying to envisage a way that @RuthDavidsonMSP could become party leader at Westminster. Hard to see how but she'd be formidable

They could take the opportunity to adopt the CDU/CSU solution. Davidson could then be the presumptive PM candidate for the Conservative Union while still being in the Scottish Parliament for the time being.
    It'll never happen, but could you simultaneously be FM and PM (via a peerage in the House of Lords)?
    Mate of mine sat in the House of Lords and the Irish Senate at the same time.
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Scott_P said:

It's well established what "retweet" means

Yes it is well established, and none of my fans have worked it out yet.

Tragic
    That you quote out of context? Indeed.

But not as tragic as you joining the ranks of the imbecilic green-inkers who think it's witty to change someone's name to try to make a point. Bliar, Camoron, ZaNu Labour - and even the EUSSR.
    Fenster said:

How can you quote that when you vote Tory and actively vote to get rid of public sector jobs ☺

I voted Tory for the highest employment on record!

And proud of it.
    Charles said:

RobD said:

I've been trying to envisage a way that @RuthDavidsonMSP could become party leader at Westminster. Hard to see how but she'd be formidable

They could take the opportunity to adopt the CDU/CSU solution. Davidson could then be the presumptive PM candidate for the Conservative Union while still being in the Scottish Parliament for the time being.
    It'll never happen, but could you simultaneously be FM and PM (via a peerage in the House of Lords)?
    Of course he did... LOL.

Do you have any fans?

They can't get enough of my posts, apparently :)
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:
    PB has had its fix of AV threads for 2016.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Of course he did... LOL.
    Not *literally* at the same time, obviously. Doh!

• Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    This is all very interesting but can someone enlighten me as to why the bottom button hole on a decent shirt is horizontal and not vertical like the ones above up to the collar?
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I should have thought the solution was straightforward. Ms Davidson resigns as an MSP, stands for a Westminster seat, gets elected to Parliament then, when there is a vacancy, puts herself forward for the leadership of her party.

Unless of course you think that not only the Conservative Party rules but the UK constitution should be bent solely in order to promote a politician to a job. It might create a bit of a precedent.
    Scott_P said:

Do you have any fans?

I can, I assure you. In fact, possibly toooooo much.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

Very Orwellian...

Humanoid pincers holding up a metallic slogan to blot out the sun.

Unless Orwell wrote an episode of "Star Trek", that's probably the wrong adjective...
    If Orwell had lived long enough, he would have gotten around to it, I'm sure...
    Orwell's 1984 was explicitly influenced by reading We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, which is far more sci-fi, impressively so for 1921. No robot claws in it that I recall. But if I could meet one fictional character, it'd have to be a toss-up between I-330 and Thackeray's Becky Sharp. An immaculately vivid characterisation, even if not's someone I could bring myself to like.
    "We" is an astonishing work. A very mathematical book as well as a disturbing dystophian work.
    One thing that puzzled me - Zamyatin was actually a naval engineer (lived and worked in Britain for a while, on a project building Russian icebreakers in the Newcastle shipyards) so did have a technical education, not just a political one (he was an Old Bolshevik and lucky to escape Stalin's purges). But as far as I can discern, the pseudo-mystical "energy versus entropy" antithesis which seemed to be Zamyatin's underlying philosophical point was totally bogus from a scientific perspective. I wonder whether he really meant freedom (at the expense of chaos) versus order (at the expense of slavery), but didn't think he could get it past the censors. It surprised me when I first read it, that he seemed to feel this scientific/philosophical point and counterpoint was more the core of the story and the political dystopian satire (from someone who lived in the USSR no less!) was just in the background. It struck me that the latter was by far the more powerful idea.
    Tuesday evening saw the final TV debate of the EU referendum campaign and there was a clear winner: Ruth Davidson. The leader of the Scottish Conservatives has been absent from the national campaign and her late arrival has injected some much-needed mojo into the pro-EU cause. Ms Davidson, with her combative campaigning and debating style, is well-liked in political circles north of the border — now the rest of the country was able to witness it. She did what David Cameron has struggled to do: appear genuinely pumped up about voting In and make people feel good about it.

https://next.ft.com/content/1e0b8ef0-37a1-11e6-a780-b48ed7b6126f
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Of course he did... LOL.
    Not *literally* at the same time, obviously. Doh!

Thanks for clearing that up :D
  • PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Ian Kate
    President Erdogan's chief advisor Ilnur Chevik tells #newsnight: "We thought Mr Cameron was our chief supporter in quest for EU membership"
    Moses_ said:

This is all very interesting but can someone enlighten me as to why the bottom button hole on a decent shirt is horizontal and not vertical like the ones above up to the collar?

EU regulation
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    I'll be humming this as I go to vote on Thursday. Project Fear, you'll never get me!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NosKQSkzh54
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:
    Oh I wish I could vote for the Leave but Farage is still a dickhead option. Please, please can we change the ballot.
    Scott_P said:

Do you have any fans?

Quantity rarely correlates with quality.
    nunu said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:
    Oh I wish I could vote for the Leave but Farage is still a dickhead option. Please, please can we change the ballot.
    +1.
    Moses_ said:

The wonders of the internet...

https://www.quora.com/Why-on-most-mens-button-down-shirts-is-the-bottom-most-button-slit-horizontal-not-vertical-like-the-rest
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

I should have thought the solution was straightforward. Ms Davidson resigns as an MSP, stands for a Westminster seat, gets elected to Parliament then, when there is a vacancy, puts herself forward for the leadership of her party.

Unless of course you think that not only the Conservative Party rules but the UK constitution should be bent solely in order to promote a politician to a job. It might create a bit of a precedent.
    It wasn't an entirely serious idea but no I wasn't suggesting to bend the constitution. There's nothing to stop the leader of the party being someone different from the leader at Westminster. She could then stand to become an MP in the next General Election on the basis that she would become PM if her party had a majority.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,966
    Scott didn't want to retweet that one? ;)
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,723
    Moses_ said:

So when in a hungover state/escaping from your lover's place at dead of night, you know it is the last button hole.....
    http://news.sky.com/

Has sky news come out for Remain, yet?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,365
    Scott_P said:

Be gentle - he's not happy if he's not retweeting inanities.

Another fan who doesn't know what retweet means

And is unable to comment on the substance.
    But do they know the correct answer to the monty Hall problem?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    I wonder how many political careers will be destroyed by this referendum. After we lost Clegg, Cable, Laws, Alexander, Alexander, Miliband, Balls and Murphy last year it could be a quite remarkable turnover in the space of a year.
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,917

RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

Very Orwellian...

Unless Orwell wrote an episode of "Star Trek", that's probably the wrong adjective...
    Orwell's 1984 was explicitly influenced by reading We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, which is far more sci-fi, impressively so for 1921. No robot claws in it that I recall. But if I could meet one fictional character, it'd have to be a toss-up between I-330 and Thackeray's Becky Sharp. An immaculately vivid characterisation, even if not's someone I could bring myself to like.
    "We" is an astonishing work. A very mathematical book as well as a disturbing dystophian work.
    One thing that puzzled me - Zamyatin was actually a naval engineer (lived and worked in Britain for a while, on a project building Russian icebreakers in the Newcastle shipyards) so did have a technical education, not just a political one (he was an Old Bolshevik and lucky to escape Stalin's purges). But as far as I can discern, the pseudo-mystical "energy versus entropy" antithesis which seemed to be Zamyatin's underlying philosophical point was totally bogus from a scientific perspective. I wonder whether he really meant freedom (at the expense of chaos) versus order (at the expense of slavery), but didn't think he could get it past the censors. It surprised me when I first read it, that he seemed to feel this scientific/philosophical point and counterpoint was more the core of the story and the political dystopian satire (from someone who lived in the USSR no less!) was just in the background. It struck me that the latter was by far the more powerful idea.
    Thanks for the tip-off.

Just bought the book for 99p on Kindle.

But do they know the correct answer to the monty Hall problem?

If not, I can help them
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,966
    edited June 2016
    nunu said:

I notice The Sun going with HMQ...

Vote LEAVE for your Monarch! :smiley:
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,723
    Scott_P said:

Great. You can get to poke the whole job lot of them in the eye with just one Leave X.....

It wasn't an entirely serious idea but no I wasn't suggesting to bend the constitution. There's nothing to stop the leader of the party being someone different from the leader at Westminster. She could then stand to become an MP in the next General Election on the basis that she would become PM if her party had a majority.
    Fair go, Mr. Glenn, I think I misunderstood your original post on this issue
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2016
    Looking at the Euro 2016 I am struck by the anomaly of Italy at 20 on Betfair. They are certainly through, have a solid defence, score goals and real pedigree. Looks like value to me so I put a purple drinking voucher on.
    edited June 2016
    GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

Using the same image as their previous HMQ story on EU:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClgVEzMWEAE7t5T.jpg

She clearly hasn't heard of my idea to install her as Empress of Europe.....
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

The wonders of the internet...

https://www.quora.com/Why-on-most-mens-button-down-shirts-is-the-bottom-most-button-slit-horizontal-not-vertical-like-the-rest
    I shall sleep easier tonight now.

It reminds me of the question posed many years ago as to why there is always a single teaspoon left in the sink when the washing up water is drained away. This resulted in many theories over a number of weeks in the Times letter pages.
  • PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sam Coates
    Times / YouGov BBC Debate panel
    Who performed best (choose 3)

Johnson 23%
    Davidson 22%
    Stuart 19%
    Khan 19%
    Leadsom 14%
    O'Grady 5%

Moses_ said:

So when in a hungover state/escaping from your lover's place at dead of night, you know it is the last button hole.....
    :D
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

nunu said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:
    +1.
    +2
    GIN1138 said:

I did retweet it.

I didn't post it here.
    RodCrosby said:

I'll be humming this as I go to vote on Thursday. Project Fear, you'll never get me!

I'll stand by EU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLpmj059JFA

RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

Very Orwellian...

Thanks for the tip-off.

Just bought the book for 99p on Kindle.
    An interesting question is whether Huxley wrote "Brave New World" before reading "We" (as Huxley claimed - he said was simply inverting H G Wellsian scientific utiopias into a dystopia), or after (Orwell believed Huxley lied about about his inspiration).

I wouldn't be prepared to bet much either way but the similarities are uncanny. And Orwell acknowledged the debt that "1984" had to it.
    GIN1138 said:

Apparently not. I however have not seen a verification of his poll.
    Went leafletting today in Fulham council estate for Leave. Don't know why we weren't knocking up doors at this stage but there you go Have a feeling LabourIn Ground war will save Dave's bacon!

No suprising anecdotes to report.

Your welcome!

RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

Very Orwellian...

Science is used allegorically as well as literally in the book. It describes a future rather like North Korea as I recall.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    I suggested shy Leavers a few hours ago as a factor in why the polls are neck and neck but Cameron publically shat himself to beg for mercy this afternoon.

I have come out for Leave. Reluctantly, having mulled it over for a long time. I despise a lot of what both sides have said, have basically ignored the debate and made my own conclusions from what I believe to be best and what I believe to be principles.

I have good friends who support all parties and none. We talk politics, we disagree amicably, there is some mild mockery, we agree to disagree. But not this time. Many of my friends are descending into a screaming hate filled rage on Facebook. The EU is the best thing ever. The leave camp are the worst kind of hatemongers. To air any deviant opinions is to pander to thugs and nazis. That I found that Farage poster repugnant (though defend their right in a free country to show it) doesn't matter. I have to side with Goldman Sachs Mark Carney George Osborne fucking George Soros. Or I am Neville Chamberlain. Marshal Petain.

I won't be the only one. Having huddled conversation in the office kitchen with the other Leave supporter because to not side with Jamie Dimon or the ECB is *wrong*. Amongst my peer group, Leave is dangerous. So we talk quietly. My close colleagues in my department know I am a Labour activist and councilor. There is good natured banter and also genuine questions as they know I know what's going on (I never ever impose my views). I came out for Leave last Thursday morning. The banter increased. Now it's become a bit harder edged.

Shy Leavers. Get a piece ready for the weekend as to why the betting markets got it wrong.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

"I don't think Her ma.. "

Actually hold on, we're way past the stage - ANYTHING that can be politicised in this EURef debate that CAN be politicised WILL be.
    edited June 2016

Apparently not.

wrong again.

See the problems you get into when you try and use word to mean something other than its definition?

RodCrosby said:

I'll stand by EU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLpmj059JFA
    What a voice.
  • OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Obviously no chance of Lizzie purring down the phone on friday, if Dave phones her win a remain win.
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

Why on earth would she accept such a demotion?
    Can anyone point me to a political party or pressure group that advocates the UK joining a federal EU/the euro/Schengen? I thought of the European Movement but their website is all referendum.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,365
    Scott_P said:
    Perhaps not as at odds as first appears....telling Scots Cameron wants you to do this might not be greeted with a positive response.
  • El_DaveEl_Dave Posts: 145
    RoyalBlue said:

I'd like to ask the PB brains trust a question.

I have been asked to cast a proxy vote on Thursday, but I have not received a polling card for it. Do I need it to vote, and if not what do I need to prove my identity?

The 'about my vote' site doesn't seem to be at all clear on that.

"What happens after I’ve returned
    this form?
    n Your proxy must go to your polling station to vote on your behalf.
    n You should tell your proxy how you want them to vote on your behalf, for example, which candidate, party, or outcome.
    n Your local election office will tell your proxy when and where to vote on your behalf.
    n You will need to give your date of birth
    and signature on this application form. This information is needed to prevent fraud. If you are unable to sign this form, please contact your Electoral Registration Officer."

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/how-do-i-vote/voting-by-proxy
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,917
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

The problem for The Sun is in the top corner: 'Don't put your trust in Cameron'. They asked people to do just that only 13 months ago.
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

Na, she'd be Queen-Empress, the Europeans would know their place.

I suggested shy Leavers a few hours ag
    o as a factor in why the polls are neck and neck but Cameron publically shat himself to beg for mercy this afternoon.

I have come out for Leave. Reluctantly, having mulled it over for a long time. I despise a lot of what both sides have said, have basically ignored the debate and made my own conclusions from what I believe to be best and what I believe to be principles.

I have good friends who support all parties and none. We talk politics, we disagree amicably, there is some mild mockery, we agree to disagree. But not this time. Many of my friends are descending into a screaming hate filled rage on Facebook. The EU is the best thing ever. The leave camp are the worst kind of hatemongers. To air any deviant opinions is to pander to thugs and nazis. That I found that Farage poster repugnant (though defend their right in a free country to show it) doesn't matter. I have to side with Goldman Sachs Mark Carney George Osborne fucking George Soros. Or I am Neville Chamberlain. Marshal Petain.

I won't be the only one. Having huddled conversation in the office kitchen with the other Leave supporter because to not side with Jamie Dimon or the ECB is *wrong*. Amongst my peer group, Leave is dangerous. So we talk quietly. My close colleagues in my department know I am a Labour activist and councilor. There is good natured banter and also genuine questions as they know I know what's going on (I never ever impose my views). I came out for Leave last Thursday morning. The banter increased. Now it's become a bit harder edged.

Shy Leavers. Get a piece ready for the weekend as to why the betting markets got it wrong.

Don't be shy with your friends, if all they hear is an echo chamber telling them they are right they will agree with it. Try your best to convince your friends this is going down to the wire.

Thank you. And we have to remember this is a vote for the next few decades atleast not the next four years.

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

The problem for The Sun is in the top corner: 'Don't put your trust in Cameron'. They asked people to do just that only 13 months ago.
    Not sure that's a big problem, to be honest, especially given Cameron's plummeting trust ratings.
    Scott_P said:

Apparently not.

wrong again.

See the problems you get into when you try and use word to mean something other than its definition?
    I wasn't talking to you. The person I was talking to was using the term to mean posted here.

It is a lazy shorthand, not some plot to cause offence and I find it remarkably tedious that people feel the need to argue about it. It is not, after all, discussing the wording of a treaty of great import, where precise terminology and interpretations might be key.

But no, you just want another pointless fight. Fill your boots, but not with me.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Quite. It's equivalent

No, it isn't.

And if you have appropriated a word because you weren't smart enough to work out what it meant in the first place, can my legion of fans tell us what word we should now use when the accurate and appropriate word would be retweet in it's only definition?
    Scott, I enjoy you linking to things on here with twitter, particularly as I am not on it, but I do not understand why you feel the need to insult people using what seems a perfectly adequate appropriated use of a word. By referencing them as retweets it is immediately apparent, even to people who have not seen your posts and whether they like the stlye or not, that you are not merely quoting someone or linking an article, you are linking to or quoting tweets.

It makes perfect sense in the context of this forum, can be used neutrally and not just as a pejorative, and is not the least bit confusing, since this is not twitter, so obviously it is not a literal retweet. So again, seizing upon a linguistical shorthand and acting like a cock about it, well, what's the bloody point?

You must go nuts over people talking about Netflix 'queues'. Why did computing appropriate a term whose original literal meaning was about people and objects? Gods, people are so stupid, aren't they Scott? Why do we use google as a generic term for using as a search engine, even if we are using bing (because we forgot to change the default)? Oh gods, according to the intenet an engine is a device that convers potential energy into mechanical work, why did we appropriate it to mean something like a search engine which is not mechanical?

You want to be a pedant? Sure, it's fun, but please don't pretend yours is an authoritative voice on when one is allowed to be a pedant or not, unless you want every single word you've ever used scrutinised and discover you are using words that used to mean other things, or were specific to other contexts - because there will be a lot of them, it's the joy of an

And before you use the tiresome quip about your 'fans' on me, please consider I defend the use of retweeting information on here all the damn time, I welcome it, but just because it irritates some people and you quite reasonably enjoy mocking people back for complaining about it, doesn't make insulting people's intelligence for using understandable shorthand less pompous.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been irritated to such a degree on here. Your record would indicate you would welcome you have managed to do so so for me. You join a few obstreperous scottish nats and SeanT in managing to do so, and without even needing to get nasty, just pompous, quite a feat.

I look forward to seeing what people are saying on Twitter in the morning though - as I said, I'm not on there myself, so it's a way to get a feel for what's being said. Good night
  • YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    The Sun wants us to " Believe in Britain " but will happily damage our constitutional Monarchy to pursue it's own agenda.

I suggested shy Leavers a few hours ago as a factor in why the polls are neck and neck but Cameron publically shat himself to beg for mercy this afternoon.

Top post.

But I have no doubt there are shy remainers too.
    Scott_P said:
    Ah. Duplicitous B'Stards the mail. Covering all horses. Who knew?

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

It wasn't a very rousing endorsement.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    EU referendum: Lord Sugar accused of racism over blasting 'immigrant' Gisela Stuart's Brexit call

The reality star questioned whether the German-born MP should be able to 'tell British people what to do'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/eu-referendum-lord-sugar-accused-of-racism-over-blasting-immigrant-gisela-stuarts-brexit-call-a7094516.html

The Sun wants us to " Believe in Britain " but will happily damage our constitutional Monarchy to pursue it's own agenda.

It's funny you say that because our constitutional Monarchy could well be the subject of our next referendum.
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

She is the Queen. You can't get higher than that.
    edited June 2016
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

Don't let Obama hear you say that. In fact, do.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    I'm mixed race, female, left-wing, a 19-year-old student - and yes, I really am voting for Brexit

We would do well to remember that the actual EU is a group of powerful bureaucrats stuffed inside a neo-liberal institution, who are poised to sign TTIP - the terrifying EU-US trade deal that threatens so much of what we stand for as a socialist country

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/im-mixed-race-female-left-wing-and-a-student-and-yes-i-really-am-voting-for-brexit-a7093221.html

The Sun has never supported the Monarchy. Occassionally exploited it, never supported it.

EU referendum: Lord Sugar accused of racism over blasting 'immigrant' Gisela Stuart's Brexit call

The reality star questioned whether the German-born MP should be able to 'tell British people what to do'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/eu-referendum-lord-sugar-accused-of-racism-over-blasting-immigrant-gisela-stuarts-brexit-call-a7094516.html

It is a sad state of affairs where people can, on the one hand be so in touch, but on the other get hung out to dry over a silly comment. Oh dear.

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

He wants to listen, he can go to the back of the queue.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

nunu said:

He wants to listen, he can go to the back of the queue.
    Heh

Can anyone point me to a political party or pressure group that advocates the UK joining a federal EU/the euro/Schengen? I thought of the European Movement but their website is all referendum.

All the parties backing Remain are effectively backing the UK being part of a federal EU.

• Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067
    Loving the final orb poll
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    tlg86 said:

EPG said:

PB comments on the debate performances: Tories amazing, Labour bad. Well, you learn something every day.

Gisela is great - but I guess many Labour people think she's a red Tory.
    Wrong. She is a Tory.
    El_Dave said:

All the parties backing Remain are effectively backing the UK being part of a federal EU.

No they aren't. I am totally confident that there would be a referendum again if we were still in the EU and this was going to happen.
    surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

PB comments on the debate performances: Tories amazing, Labour bad. Well, you learn something every day.

Gisela is great - but I guess many Labour people think she's a red Tory.
    Wrong. She is a Tory.
    She'll be purged soon, I guess?
    El_Dave said:

Yes, I understand that, but I'm looking for someone who's honest and open about it.
    RobD said:

El_Dave said:

No they aren't. I am totally confident that there would be a referendum again if we were still in the EU and this was going to happen.
    You think that there would be another referendum and you are still voting remain? Masochist doesn't begin to describe it. Are you sure you are not looking for a more, eh, exotic site?
    RobD said:

El_Dave said:

The EU is already a state. The ECJ is already the UK's superior court.

RobD said:

El_Dave said:

Are we not already in a federal EU? Where is the line in the sand where you would call this referendum?
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

El_Dave said:

You think that there would be another referendum and you are still voting remain? Masochist doesn't begin to describe it. Are you sure you are not looking for a more, eh, exotic site?
    I'm not sure where you got the impression I was voting remain?

RobD said:

El_Dave said:

Are we not already in a federal EU? Where is the line in the sand where you would call this referendum?
    Any further transfers of power from the UK parliament to the EU, as is the current law.
  • PlatoSaid said:

If only Boris had said 'we're not looking to set the number, we're fighting for the people of Britain to be able to do that!'

Gisela did that bit.
    That must have gone over my head whilst despairing at the apparent flummoxedness of my team. Massive miss, imho, not to have had LEAVE jumping all over that. Boris could have said something like 'right back at ya, how's about 500,000 extra every year? Give us your number!' Would have been very effective and very true.
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

El_Dave said:

From your recent comments. Apologies if I misunderstood.
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

El_Dave said:

I'm wavering between abstaining and leave. Maybe you think abstaining is as good as voting remain though :D

Loving the final orb poll

Remain 54% leave 46%

Certain to vote remain 52% leave 48%
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    edited June 2016
    The Times poll basically shows not much effect. Results not shown by others (from Sam Coates via the Guardian blog)::

How will you vote Remain 41% (-4) Leave 40% (-5) Not sure 8% (-2)
    (not clear where the other 11% went!)

This is the same sample that thought Leave won by 5 points. They started the evening on 45/45/10 (through deliberate selection, though some might have lied).

What do don't knows think

(*tiny* sample of 115)

Who won?
    R 38%
    L 45%
    DK 17%

How will you vote?
    R 11%
    L 16%
    DK 73%

Meh.

El_Dave said:

Yes, I understand that, but I'm looking for someone who's honest and open about it.
    The EPP had a 'four freedoms' party in the UK EU Parliament election, but I think they nominally say that the EU should delegate powers to member states.

http://www.epp.eu

The EU Commission perhaps?

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

El_Dave said:

I'm wavering between abstaining and leave. Maybe you think abstaining is as good as voting remain though :D
    I'm not going to have to withdraw the whip am I from you in our new tory party....
This discussion has been closed.