Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ComRes poll finds voters feel more positive about leaving t

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,979
    edited June 2016

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Survation phone poll conducted on Friday and Saturday,

Remain 45% (+3) Leave 42% (-3)

Meh, that's in the immediate aftermath with huge media coverage. I don't think it will change the picture for Thursday.
    I was right. 5 point swing. Add in status quo swing back and remain will win. It's a tragic way to decide a referendum. Simply awful.

IF that happens (still uncertain), why should anyone on the Leave side accept the result?

What reason could we have for not accepting it?! Not liking the potential reason people may have used to sway their vote? I don't care about immigration but plan to vote Leave, should I not accept a Leave win because I don't agree with people using immigration as a basis to vote Leave?

Reasons for people voting were discussed earlier, and it bears repeating - people vote for stupid reasons sometimes, or based on misconceptions, faulty assumptions and ignorance. Their votes still count.

I'm not convinced by this poll either, it's not that massive a swing, and I expect Leave to win, if more narrowly than before, but if people vote Remain, it doesn't matter what decided it for them.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Is Juncker still coming over to dispense his wisdom?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    tyson said:

stodge said:

Oh how us Eurosceptic Tories laughed and Laughed...

I was having a chat with Mr Soames in 2010 just after the coalition was formed at a celebration.

I said the LDs would be arriving to the next parliament in a mini bus at best and he assured me they would be fine... I assured him they wouldn't.

I feel sorry for them because they did the right thing, but you can't buck reality.

It's ironic how some people are now looking back on the Coalition years with a degree of nostalgia.

I'm probably now as detached from the party as I've ever been but I can't see the shape of politics past Thursday. It's not going to be easy for Conservatives to put the genie back in the bottle - too much has been said which will be remembered. Cameron may try to play at being all the king's horses and all the king's men but I doubt he can put the Humpty Dumpty party back together again.

Cameron's theory of party unity is based on WWTSD What Would Tony Soprano Do?
    Don't stop believin' in Dave

(A true Sopranos fan will get that reference)
    Tic tac.....the greatest episode of TV ever.

What a way to.......??? Just showing I'm a Sopranobeliever

I still think Breaking Bad was slightly better than The Sopranos, but loved both shows
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Your mum strikes me as a particularly vile and unpleasant person.

How could she have contempt for Jo Cox? She was horribly and brutally murdered by a man who repeatedly kicked her and stabbed her as he shot her and she was dying. She has two young children that will never know their mother. In her last months she was abused, intimidated and harassed simply because she was compassionate about asylum seekers.

I have seen some disgusting posts on this site....but I think yours has just won the trophy. You know something...your post has really quite upset me. I hope it is taken off this site. There is no place for this kind of comment here.

She is neither vile nor unpleasant. But she is representative of middle Scotland to whom someone like Jo Cox does not relate well. In her words Cox "never did a days work in her life", working for Oxfam who she believes is a wealth creation scheme for those who work there (and its hard to argue it is not). She may or may not be right about this but those are her views and I suspect views that a lot of people share about the political elite, especially those on the Labour side who are increasingly completely unrepresentative of Labour voters or members (hence their shock and Corbyn's counter-coup.

You were warned the post was not a Safe Space. It was your choice to read on. but if you insist on blocking out any view that you do not agree with or any report of the wider world beyond your rose tinted glasses, then you are utterly typical of the liberal left who think sweeping issues under the carpet deals with those issues when it clear does not.
    Jo Cox came from a working class background and got herself to grammar school and Cambridge and spent part of her summers working in a factory to pay for her studies so your mum was wrong on her prejudices anyway!
    Ah grammar schools! The way for the working classes to better themselves... What ever happened to them?
    Margaret Thatcher realised they didn't help, so she abolished or merged many of them and put comprehensives in their place.
    Which is why so many people move to Kent and Bucks and over counties that still have the grammar system in order to have the opportunity for their kids to go to grammars. Grammars - loved by parents, hated by the ideologues, including the elite who send their own kids to private schools.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,993

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

How could she have contempt for Jo Cox? She was horribly and brutally murdered by a man who repeatedly kicked her and stabbed her as he shot her and she was dying. She has two young children that will never know their mother. In her last months she was abused, intimidated and harassed simply because she was compassionate about asylum seekers.

I have seen some disgusting posts on this site....but I think yours has just won the trophy. You know something...your post has really quite upset me. I hope it is taken off this site. There is no place for this kind of comment here.

She is neither vile nor unpleasant. But she is representative of middle Scotland to whom someone like Jo Cox does not relate well. In her words Cox "never did a days work in her life", working for Oxfam who she believes is a wealth creation scheme for those who work there (and its hard to argue it is not). She may or may not be right about this but those are her views and I suspect views that a lot of people share about the political elite, especially those on the Labour side who are increasingly completely unrepresentative of Labour voters or members (hence their shock and Corbyn's counter-coup.

You were warned the post was not a Safe Space. It was your choice to read on. but if you insist on blocking out any view that you do not agree with or any report of the wider world beyond your rose tinted glasses, then you are utterly typical of the liberal left who think sweeping issues under the carpet deals with those issues when it clear does not.
    Jo Cox came from a working class background and got herself to grammar school and Cambridge and spent part of her summers working in a factory to pay for her studies so your mum was wrong on her prejudices anyway!
    Ah grammar schools! The way for the working classes to better themselves... What ever happened to them?
    Margaret Thatcher realised they didn't help, so she abolished or merged many of them and put comprehensives in their place.
    Which is why so many people move to Kent and Bucks and over counties that still have the grammar system in order to have the opportunity for their kids to go to grammars. Grammars - loved by parents, hated by the ideologues, including the elite who send their own kids to private schools.
    Yep. Same for Lincolnshire.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

First, what does a synthetic clearing house mean? Second, it regulates us when we trade european stocks.

Prime brokerages, they will self clear securities trades.

And what? Stock trades are bread and butter. It's derivatives trading that matters, I struggle to see how the City would continue to come under EU regulations, then again I'm not in regulations, yet the experts in our reports specifically outlined how being outside of EU regulations for derivatives would be a net gain for the City, again a reason why the Hedge funds back Leave.
    What is the proportion of funds under management for hedge funds and institutional asset managers?

What do you mean "stock trades are bread and butter"?
    There's no money in trading cash equities.
    Still not sure what that means

Europe trading = approx EUR70bn/day.
    Margins are a fraction of a penny in some cases (surprised the euro denominated cash equity trading volumes numbers are that high but thats not a number I track)

given the high fixed cost of a cash equity desk and the trend towards electronic trading it's brutally competitive and chronically unprofitable unless you are really big in a specific product.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

She is neither vile nor unpleasant. But she is representative of middle Scotland to whom someone like Jo Cox does not relate well. In her words Cox "never did a d

I watch news a lot and all I heard she worked overseas for charities. A lot of people feel like charities like Oxfarm have become money making organizations, rightly or wrongly.
    Well do some more bloody research before forming an opinion.
    What! I'm talking about the average voter, they won't know more about her than I do.
    Here you go. Took me 20 seconds on Google. You might disagree with her opinions but this, to my mind, is exactly the sort of person we need in politics.

"Cox was born on 22 June 1974 in Batley, West Yorkshire, England, and raised in Heckmondwike. Her mother was a school secretary while her father worked in a toothpaste and hairspray factory.[7] She was educated at Heckmondwike Grammar School, a state grammar school, where she was head girl. During summers, she worked packing toothpaste.[7]

Cox studied Social and Political Sciences at Pembroke College, Cambridge, and graduated from the University of Cambridge with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1995. She was the first in her family to attend university. She later studied at the London School of Economics.[1][8][9][10][11] She later recalled that her experience at Cambridge, where family pedigrees were viewed as important, "knocked me for about five years".[1]"
    My mum's not going to do a Google search. I'm not agreeing with some peoples perception, just reporting on it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    edited June 2016

I'm still sticking with my prediction of Remain to win by 12%-15%

A decisive win for REMAIN would be better than a small one.

Would seal our fate forever in the Superstate and we could all begin the process of coming to terms with it (rather than trying to resist the inevitable)
  • Options
    Andrew Lilico might be rivalling Louise Mensch for the twitter idiocy/offensive crown.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Except that it appears that we have a lot less grammar educated top politicians and more privately educated ones now.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I've never seen any of either Breaking Bad or The Sopranos.

I'm still waiting for a drama to be made about the Macedonian dynasty of the Eastern Roman Empire.
  • Options

tyson said:

stodge said:

Oh how us Eurosceptic Tories laughed and Laughed...

I was having a chat with Mr Soames in 2010 just after the coalition was formed at a celebration.

I said the LDs would be arriving to the next parliament in a mini bus at best and he assured me they would be fine... I assured him they wouldn't.

I feel sorry for them because they did the right thing, but you can't buck reality.

It's ironic how some people are now looking back on the Coalition years with a degree of nostalgia.

I'm probably now as detached from the party as I've ever been but I can't see the shape of politics past Thursday. It's not going to be easy for Conservatives to put the genie back in the bottle - too much has been said which will be remembered. Cameron may try to play at being all the king's horses and all the king's men but I doubt he can put the Humpty Dumpty party back together again.

Cameron's theory of party unity is based on WWTSD What Would Tony Soprano Do?
    Don't stop believin' in Dave

(A true Sopranos fan will get that reference)
    Tic tac.....the greatest episode of TV ever.

What a way to.......??? Just showing I'm a Sopranobeliever

I still think Breaking Bad was slightly better than The Sopranos, but loved both shows
    Both great, really great, but still overrated, in my view. But then I like things with more of a fantasy/sci-fi bent - you can do everything other excellent shows do, but also include cool fantastical things.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited June 2016
    Stick to your guns, Nunu.
  • Options
    Sunday Torygraph declares for Leave (because readers).
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

What odds?
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454

GIN1138 said:

Why are pollsters not giving the figures in terms of certainty to vote and excluding Don't Know's now?

As I forecast, the slender Leave lead has gone. And Leave needed a big lead going into Thursday. It's over, I can see a convincing Remain victory which will get Can and co off scott-free and it'll be business as usual going forward. Thanks to the nut with his homemade gun.

I'd still be careful reading into one poll. Not sure the swing is that significant - I still fully expect a remain win but It will be close
    If and its avery big if that this tragedy has had any effect on this poll then its effect will have worn off by Thursday
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

Until the 10pm YG
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    What the referendum has shown, like the IndyRef before it, is that referendums are a really bad idea.

The poison that has been introduced will not quickly disperse.

We live in a representative democracy. If there is unease about the result, either way, at the next GE parties are free to stand on a platform of leaving if we have not.

if there is still a functional Tory party it should not stand on a platform of another referendum

If that means a UKIP majority, so be it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    alex. said:

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Warning - this post is not a Safe Space.

When the blackest of black swans hit, I was very much of the mind that it would swing things towards Leave. However, it appears this is less likely than I thought. On speaking to my no voting mother, it appears that Jo Cox is just the sort of leftie that the small c conservative middle really do not like much.

My mum's actually angry at the level of deification and coverage that its getting and its making her an even more committed leaver (of course, she has already postal voted Leave for both herself and my father). But as the only Christian (and a committed one) in my family and one of the nicest people you might meet, I was absolutely flabbergasted by the level of contempt she had for a victim of a horrible tragedy.

I'm now of a mind that the very idea that Jo Cox awful murder might have the exact opposite effect to what the Westminster bubble have expected (and I had expected myself) and it might harden Leave still further.

So your nice Christian mum has contempt for someone who was murdered by someone who is reportedly on the same side of the argument as herself. Glad I'm an atheist.
    BTW You say 'Leave' in your first sentence, I guess you mean 'Remain'.
    Yes I did mean Remain, I was unable to edit it.

She does not have contempt for someone who was murdered. She has contempt for those on the liberal left who have the career path of Jo Cox and if she was aware of Jo Cox before her murder would have felt the same way. The murder is irrelevant to the view of what Jo Cox represents to people like my mother.

"I was absolutely flabbergasted by the level of contempt she had for a victim of a horrible tragedy."

Perhaps you should have been more careful in your posting if you didn't mean it...
    I believe he's saying the fact that she was murdered does not redeem her in his mother's eyes - and that he found that surprising
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Ko Barclay has given around £500,000 to UKIP. I would have been very surprised if they came out for anything other than Leave.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,408

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Margaret Thatcher in 1977:
    "People from my sort of background needed Grammar schools to compete with children from privileged homes like Shirley Williams and Anthony Wedgwood Benn."
  • Options

While not my preferred outcome, if it is Remain I hope it is that strong - that way no one can complain about the result (credibly) and the only people still in a war will be Tories.
    Stunning.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

One more thing (!!) - can some Leavers at least understand why the stuff downthread about a deregulated, offshore City frightens the life out of some of us Remainers?

Why do you think the official campaign and its funders are keeping quiet about it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127
    The crucial Colonel Mustard Sunday Telegraph reader still deciding whether he loathes or just hates the EU!
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, Rome's everlasting success was once deemed inevitable.

The EU's going to fall. It's a question of when. The longer it is, the more things will have integrated, and the worse the impact will be. Right now, it'd lead to economic problems and perhaps civil strife.

In a decade or two, we could be looking at small scale military action.

A decade or two after that...

A vote to Remain for fear of the probable short term pain is a vote to embrace the agony of later years. I suspect it'll happen in my lifetime.
  • Options

Until the 10pm YG
    BMG the gold standard
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

As I forecast, the slender Leave lead has gone. And Leave needed a big lead going into Thursday. It's over, I can see a convincing Remain victory which will get Can and co off scott-free and it'll be business as usual going forward. Thanks to the nut with his homemade gun.

One thing I'm certain of is that if Remain win, which looks likely, it will not be business as usual. The rift has opened, much like in Scotland with independence, and our EU membership will be a bigger issue in future than it has been in the past. Cameron has not achieved any meaningful reform, his party is split in two, about half the public want out, many troubling EU issues will be back on the table after the referendum, and many within the EU will interpret a Remain vote as a vote for more Europe.

I think our leaving the EU is more a matter of when now than if.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

What the referendum has shown, like the IndyRef before it, is that referendums are a really bad idea.

We live in a representative democracy. If there is unease about the result, either way, at the next GE parties are free to stand on a platform of leaving if we have not.

if there is still a functional Tory party it should not stand on a platform of another referendum

Aren't we supposed to have a referendum anytime there is a new transfer of power to the EU?

Don't see that policy lasting much longer than 24th June do you? ;)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

tyson said:

I too was not overimpressed by Lowlander's mum. However, it is usually thought polite not to go up to people and tell them that their mum smells of poo, at least not since primary school. Lowlander was accurately reporting voting-relevant information, which for this site is the exception. The fact that it was unpleasant information is not relevant. You should have thanked him, not excoriated his mother, regardless of how much you thought she deserved it.

"Ken" who posted here last week was a somewhat grating fellow who referred to Remanians as "Federasts" and other similar witticisms. But he reported accurately and at length his experiences as a LEAVE campaigner in Glasgow and I was pleased that he took the time to do so, and I hope he will do so again. We spend so much time arguing about stuff we can ill afford to reject reports from the front line when they fall in our laps.

A fair point. I had just watched the tv coverage of Jo cox's sister making that fine speech, so maybe I was being oversensitive. Unusual for me.

Also as I'm in Italy I'm not getting the apparently annoying 24/7 Diana stuff, at all.

It's all very sad. Whatever one's opinions. Whoever wins now, their victory will be tainted. And undermined my suspicion. And so this issue won't go away, AT ALL

Don't back track on this one seanT. Lowlander's comments were utterly vile, and something that should not have been aired. Not because I don't believe own free speech, but because it is just upsetting for someone to say that they could hold Jo Cox in contempt after she has been brutally killed.

The fact that it drew some of the usual characters out of the ether- Plato, MikeM, etc.... just made it worse.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Scott_P said:

Democracy is a bad idea? We can have BOTH direct and representative democracy. Very many of the arguments against one form often apply to the other.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

tyson said:

I too was not overimpressed by Lowlander's mum. However, it is usually thought polite not to go up to people and tell them that their mum smells of poo, at least not since primary school. Lowlander was accurately reporting voting-relevant information, which for this site is the exception. The fact that it was unpleasant information is not relevant. You should have thanked him, not excoriated his mother, regardless of how much you thought she deserved it.

"Ken" who posted here last week was a somewhat grating fellow who referred to Remanians as "Federasts" and other similar witticisms. But he reported accurately and at length his experiences as a LEAVE campaigner in Glasgow and I was pleased that he took the time to do so, and I hope he will do so again. We spend so much time arguing about stuff we can ill afford to reject reports from the front line when they fall in our laps.

A fair point. I had just watched the tv coverage of Jo cox's sister making that fine speech, so maybe I was being oversensitive. Unusual for me.

Also as I'm in Italy I'm not getting the apparently annoying 24/7 Diana stuff, at all.

It's all very sad. Whatever one's opinions. Whoever wins now, their victory will be tainted. And undermined my suspicion. And so this issue won't go away, AT ALL

Correct.
  • Options
    The Sunil on Sunday comes out for LEAVE:

Oh, I already have, haven't I? :lol:
  • Options

One more thing (!!) - can some Leavers at least understand why the stuff downthread about a deregulated, offshore City frightens the life out of some of us Remainers?

Why do you think being regulated closer to the coal face is worse than being regulated from farther away?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    chestnut said:

What odds?
    TSE's prediction corresponds to the 55% to 60% Remain band on Betfair. Avaliable to back at 4.3 or Lay at 4.5

Sounds a bit low to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    GIN1138 said:

Would seal our fate forever in the Superstate and we could all begin the process of coming to terms with it (rather than trying to resist the inevitable)
    Unless we join the eurozone we will never be in the Superstate and the only chance of that is a big Remain win, even on tonight's poll probably gone now as a possibility
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited June 2016
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

What! I'm talking about the average voter, they won't know more about her than I do.

Here you go. Took me 20 seconds on Google. You might disagree with her opinions but this, to my mind, is exactly the sort of person we need in politics.

"Cox was born on 22 June 1974 in Batley, West Yorkshire, England, and raised in Heckmondwike. Her mother was a school secretary while her father worked in a toothpaste and hairspray factory.[7] She was educated at Heckmondwike Grammar School, a state grammar school, where she was head girl. During summers, she worked packing toothpaste.[7]

Cox studied Social and Political Sciences at Pembroke College, Cambridge, and graduated from the University of Cambridge with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1995. She was the first in her family to attend university. She later studied at the London School of Economics.[1][8][9][10][11] She later recalled that her experience at Cambridge, where family pedigrees were viewed as important, "knocked me for about five years".[1]"
    My mum's not going to do a Google search. I'm not agreeing with some peoples perception, just reporting on it.
    I must have misread your earlier post stating

"your mum's views are similar to mine"...

• Options

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

"People from my sort of background needed Grammar schools to compete with children from privileged homes like Shirley Williams and Anthony Wedgwood Benn."
    Like on the EU, Thatcher said one thing, and did another

Margaret Thatcher holds the prize as the secretary of state who closed or merged the most grammar schools for a comprehensive alternative.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/education-the-end-of-the-grammar-school-1179844.html
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, dragons pave the way to victory.

As do frisky elves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Edric-Hero-Hornska-Book-ebook/dp/B01DOSP9ZK
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

The single best thing that ever happened to me - apart from being born to my extraordinary parents - was to go to the last ILEA grammar school. There were expectations. You were expected to go to university. I was exceptionally lucky.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Aren't we supposed to have a referendum anytime there is a new transfer of power to the EU?

Don't see that policy lasting much longer than 24th June do you? ;)

I expect it to last until it is repealed...
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Just remember the Survation poll was run at peak emotion after the murder (as well as peak 'Britain First' outburst - but see how Mair pled) - we have 5 days for things to settle down.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited June 2016

chestnut said:

What odds?
    TSE's prediction corresponds to the 55% to 60% Remain band on Betfair. Avaliable to back at 4.3 or Lay at 4.5

Sounds a bit low to me.
    It's not a 7-2 shot. Certainly longer.
  • Options
    Betfair, Leave at 3 again
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Democracy is a bad idea? We can have BOTH direct and representative democracy. Very many of the arguments against one form often apply to the other.

We can have direct democracy. Our experience of it is division, hatred and violence, with no resolution of the question.

I will be happy with less of that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

TSE was educated privately I believe, the privately educated are often amongst the most staunch supporters of comprehensive as it reduces the competition
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,204
    Scott_P said:

I think the mistake was not having referenda in getting to where we are now. But I agree that politicians shouldn't offer them when they are not comfortable with one side winning. Cameron only promised this because he wanted to shoot the Ukip fox. As it turned out, he probably didn't need to do it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,251

viewcode said:

tyson said:

What was his take on Glesga? Think I missed it.
    It was actually Edinburgh, I think.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    alex. said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

I must have misread your earlier post stating

"your mum's views are similar to mine"...

I meant my mum's whoops
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Stick to your guns, Nunu.

Little surprise that you think Oxfam is a waste of space, time and money or worse.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

The single best thing that ever happened to me - apart from being born to my extraordinary parents - was to go to the last ILEA grammar school. There were expectations. You were expected to go to university. I was exceptionally lucky.

Yes, without grammar school I'm not sure I'd be doing what I'm doing now. My parents played a big part in it of course, but grammar school made it possible for me to receive an education usually reserved for the middle and upper classes at no cost to my parents who could never have afforded private education for me.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    LOL@Ronaldo...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

I've said many times, the reason I've done so well out of life was my parents (and grandparents) made a lot of sacrifices so I could attend a private school.

It was only later in life I appreciated my luck.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,993
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Unless we join the eurozone we will never be in the Superstate and the only chance of that is a big Remain win, even on tonight's poll probably gone now as a possibility
    So we will continue to sit on the margins with our power and sovereignty seeping away as the Eurozone dominates the EU, subject to all the rules but with no control over them. It is a bleak vision you paint of our future.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

TSE was educated privately I believe, the privately educated are often amongst the most staunch supporters of comprehensive as it reduces the competition
    He will now claim he's "working class Northerner!" :lol:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No, the problem isn't that we have had too many but not enough.

The tone of the debate is the issue not the debate itself. It has been filled with nasty vile attacks with people calling others nasty things like little Englanders, making offensive signs at people they disagree with (EG Bob Geldoff mocking fishermen).

If the debate were conducted by 8 year olds rather than 5 year olds the quality would be much better.
  • Options
    Well Gove's just put enormous hostage to fortune in the event of Brexit

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/744270819384246272
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Survation is 51-49 Leave pre weighted.
  • Options
    Ilford still has a Grammar School, BTW. I went there in the late 80s/early 90s.
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, quite.

Power and money will continue to flow to Brussels. People will continue to be angered by rates of immigration and being called xenophobic or racist for wanting fewer to be allowed in.

Could be a purple patch for UKIP.
  • Options
    I'm listening to Sam Cooke live at the Harlem Square Club. Side Two is the best 20 minutes of music ever recorded. Look it up.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

It will come anyway
  • Options
    edited June 2016

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Jo Cox went to one in the late eighties and nineties so there are still a few around
  • Options

viewcode said:

tyson said:

What was his take on Glesga? Think I missed it.
    It was actually Edinburgh, I think.
    Oh, I think I read that. Sorry, its hard to type through the tears of laughter at the utter ineptitude of Cristiano Ronaldo this evening. Pleasing.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, no, he hasn't. We won't have another vote if we Leave and then there's a recession.

It's the opposite (but still wrong) of what the BBC business editor did when he asked Carney if he [Carney] could guarantee we wouldn't have a recession if we voted to Leave.
  • Options

I also hate the fact that Leavers who have waited years for this feel that something utterly wrong and appalling may change the outcome of this referendum. What the hell is happening to our country?

I agree entirely. This whole thing has made me feel sick. It makes me ashamed to support my own side, and it makes me for the first time look at my country and grimace. For remain to win off the back of a murder is the most horrific end to this whole campaign. As Sean says, it will resolve nothing.
  • Options

I've said many times, the reason I've done so well out of life was my parents (and grandparents) made a lot of sacrifices so I could attend a private school.

Sacrifices they were able to make, how does that translate to a single earner family with two children on a bookkeepers hourly wage? Grammar school gave me (and my sister) a chance of the education you received that my parents would never have been able to afford whatever sacrifices they made.
  • Options

No, the problem isn't that we have had too many but not enough.

The tone of the debate is the issue not the debate itself. It has been filled with nasty vile attacks with people calling others nasty things like little Englanders, making offensive signs at people they disagree with (EG Bob Geldoff mocking fishermen).

If the debate were conducted by 8 year olds rather than 5 year olds the quality would be much better.

On that note...

http://chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/the-blame-game.html
  • Options

htps://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/744270819384246272

He can say it would have happened anyway, due to Osborne or the global situation. Granted, he would have denied that 6 months ago, but our memories are short.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

viewcode said:

tyson said:

Don't back track on this one seanT. Lowlander's comments were utterly vile, and something that should not have been aired. Not because I don't believe own free speech, but because it is just upsetting for someone to say that they could hold Jo Cox in contempt after she has been brutally killed.

The fact that it drew some of the usual characters out of the ether- Plato, MikeM, etc.... just made it worse.
    I think that there is a legitimate critique of the aid and NGO sector in development, and the seminal work "Lords of Poverty" is a book that should be read by all in the field. There are other more recent works too.

Nonetheless Jo Cox seems to have worked in Brussels lobbying the EU for more favourable trade arrangements with developing countries, and in New York campaigning for humanitarian aid in warzones to help refugees stay in protected zones locally. Both highly laudable, and indeed advocated by several Leavers on this site in discussions the other day.

I also note that she voted for Liz Kendall in the leadership election.
  • Options
    Mr. (Miss?) QC, I think laughing at Ronaldo is something around which the site can unite ;)
  • Options
    Democracy by its very nature lets the voters decide so whatever they conclude goes
  • Options
    Nothing, since we don't know for sure that is the reason, or it is real, or will be maintained, and the reasons people decide their vote are already petty, so there's no difference.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It's an unanswerable question. The country will not stand for permanent immigration at net 200,000-400,000 a year, or whatever. And if we stay in Europe that kind of migration will continue.

So the whole debate is going to get MORE poisonous.

UKIP will prosper. Tories will bicker. Labour could potentially disintegrate.

Yes. Winning with real EU reform and and solution to the immigration "problem" would be entirely different from winning with none of that.

Cameron has achieved no meaningful reform of the EU, and has no solution to limiting immigration within the EU. Next Friday all our EU problems will still exist, about half the country are mad as hell about the EU, and I would say that at least half of the Remainers have cold feet about the EU. Does anyone really think these issues will evaporate soon?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    kle4 said:

htps://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/744270819384246272

He can say it would have happened anyway, due to Osborne or the global situation. Granted, he would have denied that 6 months ago, but our memories are short.
    I'm guessing that he's referencing the IMF report.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    eek said:

It will come anyway
    Exactly. What are the chances the economy will go tits up even if we do vote remain. Must be quite likely.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I'm listening to Sam Cooke live at the Harlem Square Club. Side Two is the best 20 minutes of music ever recorded. Look it up.

From 1963? It's awesome. I second the recommendation.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    It says more about the current state of mind in the West rather than the age-old virtues of democracy.

We are in trouble. And it's not democracy that's the problem.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sacrifices they were able to make, how does that translate to a single earner family with two children on a bookkeepers hourly wage? Grammar school gave me (and my sister) a chance of the education you received that my parents would never have been able to afford whatever sacrifices they made.
    Indeed, I want all children to have the opportunities I had, I just wish I knew how.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    tyson said:

Again, I posted because I had a surprising experience which may reflect wider public opinions and might have an impact on an election which people are trying to predict and who have money staked on the outcome.

If you don't like the real world, perhaps it would be better not to expose yourself to real world opinions and find a Safe Space to spend your time in where rainbow lollipops drop from the sky and rivers of lemonade can be sailed in chocolate boats.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Like on the EU, Thatcher said one thing, and did another

Margaret Thatcher holds the prize as the secretary of state who closed or merged the most grammar schools for a comprehensive alternative.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/education-the-end-of-the-grammar-school-1179844.html
    That does not mean she was right to do so. (I am in two minds myself. If I had the money I would start a Grammar and secondary modern. You would not be able to get on unless you could lay bricks, do a foreign language as well as be good at maths and the physical sciences.)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    New Poll

Yougov-ITV have Leave 44:42 up

Which is Leave's lead slashed by 5%

Which is Remain +3 Leave -2

Unsure of the fieldwork dates
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

So we will continue to sit on the margins with our power and sovereignty seeping away as the Eurozone dominates the EU, subject to all the rules but with no control over them. It is a bleak vision you paint of our future.
    It is what I always felt would happen though
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

That is the one thing private schools have over the state system.

Expectations. It also breeds confidence.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

While I did pretty well out of my bog standard comprehensive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Jo Cox went to one in the late eighties and nineties so there are still a few around
    I went to a grammar school and my six form Latin class mate was Graham Brady- he was a year older than me, but they combined classes since there was only 3 of us...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,778

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Parents HATE grammar schools. That's why there's no rush to bring them back. Think about it. Chloe gets into grammar school. Her parents are ecstatic. Sam, Will and Emma don't. Their parents are not pleased at the rejection and that their children get a second class education. The setup means there are more second class students than first class ones. Which is a problem when those parents vote.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    HYUFD said:

Democracy by its very nature lets the voters decide so whatever they conclude goes
    I would speculate (always the way to go on this site) that people making their mind up for Remain on the basis of the murder, will be largely using it as a way of a justification of a vote they really wanted to make anyway. If someone really wanted to vote Leave, it isn't difficult to come up with a different rationale, even within the context of the murder.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Meh, that's in the immediate aftermath with huge media coverage. I don't think it will change the picture for Thursday.
    I was right. 5 point swing. Add in status quo swing back and remain will win. It's a tragic way to decide a referendum. Simply awful.

IF that happens (still uncertain), why should anyone on the Leave side accept the result?

Because I'd hope Leavers supported democracy.

If Remain wins because of a killer (who either supports Remain or is insane), then it is not democracy.

You guys have spent the last couple of days telling us it won't shift more than a handful of votes now it going to become excuse to ignore the result if you lose.

• Options
    glw said:

SeanT said:

It's an unanswerable question. The country will not stand for permanent immigration at net 200,000-400,000 a year, or whatever. And if we stay in Europe that kind of migration will continue.

So the whole debate is going to get MORE poisonous.

UKIP will prosper. Tories will bicker. Labour could potentially disintegrate.

Yes. Winning with real EU reform and and solution to the immigration "problem" would be entirely different from winning with none of that.

Cameron has achieved no meaningful reform of the EU, and has no solution to limiting immigration within the EU. Next Friday all our EU problems will still exist, about half the country are mad as hell about the EU, and I would say that at least half of the Remainers have cold feet about the EU. Does anyone really think these issues will evaporate soon?
    Nobody will want to go through the trauma of another referendum though. Most people will want to put this strange summer out of their minds I think.

Course, there will (hopefully) be a significant shift from the Tories so that Cameron and Osborne are forced out (and UKIP will continue but will evolve as a post independence party) but I don't see another referendum in my lifetime (30-40 years) and that includes when we join the Euro.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

It says more about the current state of mind in the West rather than the age-old virtues of democracy.

It's not as, absent the murder, the result was going to be decided on a sober and detailed assessment of the respective merits of the case.
  • Options

I think that there is a legitimate critique of the aid and NGO sector in development, and the seminal work "Lords of Poverty" is a book that should be read by all in the field. There are other more recent works too.

Nonetheless Jo Cox seems to have worked in Brussels lobbying the EU for more favourable trade arrangements with developing countries, and in New York campaigning for humanitarian aid in warzones to help refugees stay in protected zones locally. Both highly laudable, and indeed advocated by several Leavers on this site in discussions the other day.

I also note that she voted for Liz Kendall in the leadership election.

Absolutely, the ire that seems to be aimed at her is something I don't understand. I don't agree with much of what she stood for, however, it is clear she tried to make a change for the better in a lot of places and for a lot of people that have no advocates at the top. For that she should be lauded. That her murder may lead to a Remain vote is hugely lamentable, but it is no reason to besmirch her legacy. The ire belongs in the direction of the nutter who murdered her and those who seek to politicise and take advantage of her murder.
  • Options

It's not as, absent the murder, the result was going to be decided on a sober and detailed assessment of the respective merits of the case.
    David, I've replied to your email
  • Options
    @tag_freeman: Double-page editorial in tomorrow's Mail on Sunday: "For a safer, freer, more prosperous & even greater Britain, we urge you to vote Remain"
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

From 1963? It's awesome. I second the recommendation.

That's the one. Bring it on home to me.

• Options
    Mr. Alex, or ignore the murder. It doesn't alter the UK's position in the world or the relationship we have with the EU, it's simply a tragedy for the family and friends of the victim.
  • Options

Oh yeah we have a lot bigger problems than the EU.
  • Options

Mr. (Miss?) QC, I think laughing at Ronaldo is something around which the site can unite ;)

If my Twitter feed is anything to go by, this has temporarily healed our divided nation. Every single post reads HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I really hate Cristiano Ronaldo. Come on the Hungarians.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Betfair, Leave at 3 again

Are you laying it ?
This discussion has been closed.