Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ComRes poll finds voters feel more positive about leaving t

Comments

• Options
    tyson said:

GeoffM said:

tyson said:

Lowlander said:

Warning - this post is not a Safe Space.

When the blackest of black swans hit, I was very much of the mind that it would swing things towards Leave. However, it appears this is less likely than I thought. On speaking to my no voting mother, it appears that Jo Cox is just the sort of leftie that the small c conservative middle really do not like much.

My mum's actually angry at the level of deification and coverage that its getting and its making her an even more committed leaver (of course, she has already postal voted Leave for both herself and my father). But as the only Christian (and a committed one) in my family and one of the nicest people you might meet, I was absolutely flabbergasted by the level of contempt she had for a victim of a horrible tragedy.

I'm now of a mind that the very idea that Jo Cox awful murder might have the exact opposite effect to what the Westminster bubble have expected (and I had expected myself) and it might harden Leave still further.

Your mum strikes me as a particularly vile and unpleasant person.

[snip much self righteous bollocks]

There is no place for this kind of comment here.
    The view from your high horse must be tremendous.
    How could anyone show contempt for a defenceless young mum shot, stabbed, kicked to death as she goes about her job. And the reason, because she was supportive of migrants.

The fact that you rush to his defence is pretty grim to be honest. In fact it is worse than grim.
    Read my response. I think you will find such reaction is not uncommon
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,616
    TOPPING said:

Haha yes the hand of friendship!!

The serious point is that we have no say over the rules of USD trading. Call it no sovereignty over what British banks in the UK can or can't do.

And @BenedictWhite is happy for us to give up to the ECB the same degree of sovereignty over our EUR transactions.

And I thought this whole thing was about sovereignty...

Its also probably a case of judicial over reach, but since Wall Street is such a huge draw it gives the US a huge amount of leverage. None of the EU markets after Brexit approach anywhere near the size or importance of NYC with which the EU could force non domiciled banks to submit to their regulations/laws. Also remember that the banks didn't break regulations, they broke US laws and sanctions and used USD while doing it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

Roger said:

Lowlander said:

When the blackest of black swans hit, I was very much of the mind that it would swing things towards Leave. However, it appears this is less likely than I thought. On speaking to my no voting mother, it appears that Jo Cox is just the sort of leftie that the small c conservative middle really do not like much.

My mum's actually angry at the level of deification and coverage that its getting and its making her an even more committed leaver (of course, she has already postal voted Leave for both herself and my father). But as the only Christian (and a committed one) in my family and one of the nicest people you might meet, I was absolutely flabbergasted by the level of contempt she had for a victim of a horrible tragedy.

I'm now of a mind that the very idea that Jo Cox awful murder might have the exact opposite effect to what the Westminster bubble have expected (and I had expected myself) and it might harden Leave still further.

Spare the rod and spoil the child. You must have had a painful childhood at the hands of your less than compassionate Mum
    Was there any need to respond by insulting his mother?
    I was being polite. I'll say what I really thought. What a piece of work. Like Mother like son. Proud of her? Most people would be die sooner than admit to having someone like that as their mother.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,125
    edited June 2016
    NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

Your mum was voting Leave anyway, the undecideds however will see a young mum brutally slain by an insane British nationalist and be a bit more shocked and appalled
    Nonsense
    No fact, the Comres numbers show more voters would be delighted if Leave won than Remain won even after 2pm but more would also be upset if Leave won and relieved if Remain won. That suggests Leavers are sticking with Leave but the undecideds are shifting to Remain
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    OUT said:

Fenman said:

Ready for next Thursday. All my assets except property moved out of Sterling and the UK. My bank in France say I'm not alone. They tell me brexit will mean parity with the euro and 1.1 to the dollar.

Buy shares in tinfoil.

Better start conversing in french, surely to become more widely spoken than english
    after thursday.
    One of the historical legacies of the first and second world wars is we have forgotten the real enemy. The French. The Germans are not the Enemy the French are.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxB - What really concerns me about you and a few other right wing Brexiters is not that you want to REPLACE EU financial regulations with a better British approach but just get rid of the EU regulations full stop. Do you want our government to be regulating derivatives or do you think they can insure it all so cleverly this time that it could never go wrong?

Don't be silly, of course they would still be regulated, just by the FCA and BoE. Both of whom are better at it than the EBA and ECB. More regulation isn't better than the right regulation. Brown proved that with aplomb in 2007/8.
    But what's the justification for saying they are better at it? Because it's the preference of people in the city? Bit like asking schoolkids if they prefer the teacher who's strict or the one who's a pushover.
    In this case the teacher that knows what they are doing and wants to teach vs the teacher who is very strict but just has the students sit in silence all lesson learning nothing.
    But again surely the BOE doesn't regulate certain things because the EU currently does it itself. You seem to want to escape Brussels regulation and just assume the BOE wouldn't be interested.
    Not in the slightest, if we left I fully believe that the BoE and FCA would undertake regulations of all City functions. I just believe they'd do it better and be less hostile.
    You might think's it's hostility, other might regard it as safety. Mervyn King got a lot of criticism from the left over his apparent colluding with the coalition's fiscal policy but to be fair he was always unimpressed by the financial sector. Carney, the former Goldman Sachs man, I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    tyson said:

GeoffM said:

tyson said:

Lowlander said:

How could anyone show contempt for a defenceless young mum shot, stabbed, kicked to death as she goes about her job. And the reason, because she was supportive of migrants.

The fact that you rush to his defence is pretty grim to be honest. In fact it is worse than grim.
    No-one is showing contempt for the victim of a murder.

Can you understand that the issue of what Jo Cox stood for as a typical member of the Blairite Left is separate to how Jo Cox is viewed as the victim of a heinous murder? Being the victim of a despicable act does not change perceptions that people may have of the way you chose to live your life before that despicable act occurred.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    It looks as though people are jumping from Jo Cox a good person - to the EU must be good people. But the Cox's Save the Children, Medicins sans Frontiers and others have withdrawn cooperation from the EU for the way the EU is making agreements with Turkey, Eritrea and the Sudan to return people to war areas. Labour MPs have been told the party policy is remain - not sure Jo Cox would have had no criticisms to make of the EU if the referendum wasn't happening.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Lowlander said:

So your nice Christian mum has contempt for someone who was murdered by someone who is reportedly on the same side of the argument as herself. Glad I'm an atheist.
    BTW You say 'Leave' in your first sentence, I guess you mean 'Remain'.
    Lowlander has hit the spot. My wife a committed Remanian cannot bear Jo Cox ever present smile anymore. This whole Dianavication of MP Cox is turning many people off. The shock of the murder is giving way hatred of the way the political and MSM elite have tried to attach Cox's death to the referendum
    Yep people have said a gaffe could make a huge difference.

This dianafication of someone who most people have never heard of is that gaffe.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

Your mum was voting Leave anyway, the undecideds however will see a young mum brutally slain by an insane British nationalist and be a bit more shocked and appalled
    No they wont
    They will as Comres shows
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

How could she have contempt for Jo Cox? She was horribly and brutally murdered by a man who repeatedly kicked her and stabbed her as he shot her and she was dying. She has two young children that will never know their mother. In her last months she was abused, intimidated and harassed simply because she was compassionate about asylum seekers.

I have seen some disgusting posts on this site....but I think yours has just won the trophy. You know something...your post has really quite upset me. I hope it is taken off this site. There is no place for this kind of comment here.

She is neither vile nor unpleasant. But she is representative of middle Scotland to whom someone like Jo Cox does not relate well. In her words Cox "never did a days work in her life", working for Oxfam who she believes is a wealth creation scheme for those who work there (and its hard to argue it is not). She may or may not be right about this but those are her views and I suspect views that a lot of people share about the political elite, especially those on the Labour side who are increasingly completely unrepresentative of Labour voters or members (hence their shock and Corbyn's counter-coup.

You were warned the post was not a Safe Space. It was your choice to read on. but if you insist on blocking out any view that you do not agree with or any report of the wider world beyond your rose tinted glasses, then you are utterly typical of the liberal left who think sweeping issues under the carpet deals with those issues when it clear does not.
    Don't let the opprobrium from our resident muppets put you off posting here. I don't think you need to use safe space warnings here mind. It's a mostly adult audience, though you might occasionally find that hard to believe :).
    Absolutely.
    Plato and John M- well done. Do you also show contempt for a defenceless young mum who was shot, kicked, and repeatedly stabbed as she was conducting a constituency meeting? Do you think this should be written on a mainstream site?

We are of course adults here- but the likes of you two and others, cheerleading on these vile comments- and you Plato as a woman- shame on you. I have very little respect for you and your daily and obsessive posting at the best of times, but now.....
  • Options
    alex. said:

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

So your nice Christian mum has contempt for someone who was murdered by someone who is reportedly on the same side of the argument as herself. Glad I'm an atheist.
    BTW You say 'Leave' in your first sentence, I guess you mean 'Remain'.
    Yes I did mean Remain, I was unable to edit it.

She does not have contempt for someone who was murdered. She has contempt for those on the liberal left who have the career path of Jo Cox and if she was aware of Jo Cox before her murder would have felt the same way. The murder is irrelevant to the view of what Jo Cox represents to people like my mother.

"I was absolutely flabbergasted by the level of contempt she had for a victim of a horrible tragedy."

Perhaps you should have been more careful in your posting if you didn't mean it...
    I can only express things from my point of view. I shared, initially the typically liberal interpretation that the murder and the person were interconnected until I started to think about it more deeply and understand my mothers point of view and how she did not see them as inextricably linked.

And she is right. They are not linked and it is possible to hold a view about Jo Cox life before her murder which is neither sympathetic nor positive. And holding such a view does not make one vile or a monster. It is rational and logical. They are separate concepts.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2016
    I do think we should try and be civil, at least until the end of the campaign. Let's rise on the ashes of our dead selves and be better people.

Let me end my condescension by leaving you this. It's a Redditism, but I hope you'll not think the less of me.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/1bdf9ee56f40a6fd18a4a1affba2ec2e
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Lowlander said:

tyson said:

How could she have contempt for Jo Cox? She was horribly and brutally murdered by a man who repeatedly kicked her and stabbed her as he shot her and she was dying. She has two young children that will never know their mother. In her last months she was abused, intimidated and harassed simply because she was compassionate about asylum seekers.

I have seen some disgusting posts on this site....but I think yours has just won the trophy. You know something...your post has really quite upset me. I hope it is taken off this site. There is no place for this kind of comment here.

She is neither vile nor unpleasant. But she is representative of middle Scotland to whom someone like Jo Cox does not relate well. In her words Cox "never did a days work in her life", working for Oxfam who she believes is a wealth creation scheme for those who work there (and its hard to argue it is not). She may or may not be right about this but those are her views and I suspect views that a lot of people share about the political elite, especially those on the Labour side who are increasingly completely unrepresentative of Labour voters or members (hence their shock and Corbyn's counter-coup.

You were warned the post was not a Safe Space. It was your choice to read on. but if you insist on blocking out any view that you do not agree with or any report of the wider world beyond your rose tinted glasses, then you are utterly typical of the liberal left who think sweeping issues under the carpet deals with those issues when it clear does not.
    Your mums views are similar to mine's
    She thinks it's noble to volunteer for charity's but that they have become a sort of dependency. " they have been collecting for Etheopia since I was in college, they need to blame the government ".
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Lowlander said:

Spare the rod and spoil the child. You must have had a painful childhood at the hands of your less than compassionate Mum
    Was there any need to respond by insulting his mother?
    I was being polite. I'll say what I really thought. What a piece of work. Like Mother like son. Proud of her? Most people would be die sooner than admit to having someone like that as their mother.
    Why are you assuming I hold the same views as my mother?

I intend to vote Remain. I have no strong opinion about Jo Cox either way.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

Oh how us Eurosceptic Tories laughed and Laughed...

I was having a chat with Mr Soames in 2010 just after the coalition was formed at a celebration.

I said the LDs would be arriving to the next parliament in a mini bus at best and he assured me they would be fine... I assured him they wouldn't.

I feel sorry for them because they did the right thing, but you can't buck reality.

It's ironic how some people are now looking back on the Coalition years with a degree of nostalgia.

I'm probably now as detached from the party as I've ever been but I can't see the shape of politics past Thursday. It's not going to be easy for Conservatives to put the genie back in the bottle - too much has been said which will be remembered. Cameron may try to play at being all the king's horses and all the king's men but I doubt he can put the Humpty Dumpty party back together again.

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

And welcome aboard HMS PB!

Thanks!

And we're both Leavers. #HerbivoresforBritain
    Awesome stuff! And I grew up in Essex too (Colchester, Ilford).
    Now this is weird. I live in Colchester.
    Any interest in trains?

:-)
    Er...sort of, I commute to Ipswich on them.

Am I missing a reference or something?
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Jo Cox came from a working class background and got herself to grammar school and Cambridge and spent part of her summers working in a factory to pay for her studies so your mum was wrong on her prejudices anyway!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Lowlander said:

tyson said:

GeoffM said:

tyson said:

Lowlander said:

Can you understand that the issue of what Jo Cox stood for as a typical member of the Blairite Left is separate to how Jo Cox is viewed as the victim of a heinous murder? Being the victim of a despicable act does not change perceptions that people may have of the way you chose to live your life before that despicable act occurred.
    Tyson is not intelligent enough to make that distinction.

I warn you now that you are wasting your time continuing to explain anything to the broken-brained fool. Save pixels and quit now.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

Lowlander said:

This is not the happiest post in the history of PB

I also don't understand the contempt for poor Jo Cox. By all accounts she was a committed public servant, and ardent democrat, with friends and admirers on all sides of politics. You can object to some of her views - I probably would - without reviling the Person. Surely. And you can despair of the Dianification without, again, seeing it as a black mark against the victim. She's dead, FFS

Ah well. Roll on Thursday.
    Yes I'm not sure I understand the lack of sympathy for the victim. Having contempt for those who seek to advantage themselves from her death and those who call for "unity" is understandable though. What we need is for the family to be able to grieve in peace and for the media circus to leave them alone while the courts deal with the nutter who murdered her.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

FPT:

MaxPB said:

Facebook: absolutely filled to brim with friends gunning full-on for Remain. No sign of exploitation the murder at all. But two or three usually rational, and level-headed people, becoming highly emotional about Remain. All work in London in professional services/finance.

This is why you get so few City typgoing to vote for Leave and there are more people just keeping their heads down and keeping quiet despite management pressure to vote Remain.
    Thanks. One of my friends was so aggressive, hysterical and rude - failing to engage with any of my points, just ranting at me - that I'm now not sure what to do.

I think i'll ignore him. Not sure there's any good to come from engagement.
    Do what I

A lightly regulated, offshore market trading in all manner of "innovative" products. What could possibly go wrong?

Isn't that the City dream?
    Don't be naughty Max. Even if it was. And we left. We would still be regulated to within an inch of our lives by the EU. But would have no lobbying, no rapporteur, no influence.

You are evidently a persuasive debater amongst your friends.
    How does the ECB regulate an offshore market that uses synthetic clearing houses?
    First, what does a synthetic clearing house mean? Second, it regulates us when we trade european stocks.
    Does the USA regulate our trade in dollars?
    Yes.
    And do we get a say in how they do that?

Do we trade more dollars than New York?
    Here's your task for next week.

1) go into a Barclays bank on the high street (UK bank, UK location) and open a USD account.
    2) remit $10 to Hassan Rouhani.
    3) sit back and see who regulates you.
    Wouldn't that be legal now? :wink:

The serious point is that we have no say over the rules of USD trading. Call it no sovereignty over what British banks in the UK can or can't do.

And @BenedictWhite is happy for us to give up to the ECB the same degree of sovereignty over our EUR transactions.

The ECB will do what it does anyway. We will still trade more of their money than they do.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good evening, everyone.

Pre-race piece, with a few tips, up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/azerbaijan-pre-race-2016.html

Hopefully the murder won't swing things either way. We've got a critical decision to make in 5 days, and the sooner campaigning resumes the better.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Jo Cox came from a working class background and got herself to grammar school and Cambridge and spent part of her summers working in a factory to pay for her studies so your mum was wrong on her prejudices anyway!
    I watch news a lot and all I heard she worked overseas for charities. A lot of people feel like charities like Oxfarm have become money making organizations, rightly or wrongly.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, may be symptomatic of the way that charity has become more of an industry for some people. Chuggers and churglars (doorknockers) have not endeared themselves to the public.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Thanks!

Any interest in trains?

Sunil loves trains.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I was having a chat with Mr Soames in 2010 just after the coalition was formed at a celebration.

I said the LDs would be arriving to the next parliament in a mini bus at best and he assured me they would be fine... I assured him they wouldn't.

I feel sorry for them because they did the right thing, but you can't buck reality.

It's ironic how some people are now looking back on the Coalition years with a degree of nostalgia.

I'm probably now as detached from the party as I've ever been but I can't see the shape of politics past Thursday. It's not going to be easy for Conservatives to put the genie back in the bottle - too much has been said which will be remembered. Cameron may try to play at being all the king's horses and all the king's men but I doubt he can put the Humpty Dumpty party back together again.

Cameron's theory of party unity is based on WWTSD What Would Tony Soprano Do?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

@Casino_Royale

You don't happen to have a brother called Will do you?

I don't have any brothers.
    Fair enough. There was a Will Royale few years older than you living in NW Hampshire when I was growing up. His parents would be about 70-75 now... small world!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,388
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Thanks!

Well, I left in 1978 when I was two. Lived off the Ipswich Road.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

I watch news a lot and all I heard she worked overseas for charities. A lot of people feel like charities like Oxfarm have become money making organizations, rightly or wrongly.
    Well do some more bloody research before forming an opinion.
    What! I'm talking about the average voter, they won't know more about her than I do.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Well do some more bloody research before forming an opinion.
    Or even just listening to the news as well as watching it.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

tyson said:

GeoffM said:

tyson said:

Lowlander said:

I think you are some kind of troll or something. You have certainly raised the dark instincts of the likes of Plato, MikeM, Geoff, Paul_Bedforshire and their ilk. People who live on bleakness.

I don't actually believe you have a mother who said this. I don't think there is any mother in the country who could hold Jo Cox in contempt.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,357
    Think it is time to call it a night. I hope one and all have a good nights rest and for some of us tomorrow is the day we have the priviledge of our children and grand children hugging us
  • Options
    nunu said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

My understanding is that in the UK, Oxfam started the ball rolling for employee run charities instead of volunteer run charities and was very much created as a way to provide its student founders with a way of continuing to enjoy their jollies when their peers had to go out and find productive employment.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Fenman said:

Ready for next Thursday. All my assets except property moved out of Sterling and the UK. My bank in France say I'm not alone. They tell me brexit will mean parity with the euro and 1.1 to the dollar.

Can you tell me who they are? If they've positioned themselves like that I want to short them :innocent:
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775
    De mortuis nil nisi bonum - don't speak ill of the dead. Unless self-evidently they are a nasty piece of work, which Jo Cox definitely wasn't.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

stodge said:

Dave's Get Boris obsession has seriously clouded his judgement.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Thanks!

Any interest in trains?

Over the years I've built up a reputation for being a bit of a "Railways Anonymous" case :lol:
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, the Conservatives should be grateful he doesn't do what Basil II would do...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    edited June 2016
    Survation phone poll conducted on Friday and Saturday,

Remain 45% (+3) Leave 42% (-3)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nunu said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

How could she have contempt for Jo Cox? She was horribly

She is neither vile nor unpleasant. But she is representative of middle Scotland to whom e with or any report of the wider world beyond your rose tinted glasses, then you are utterly typical of the liberal left who think sweeping issues under the carpet deals with those issues when it clear does not.
    Jo Cox came from a working class background ay!
    She worked overseas yes, in Syria, what a cushy number that was!!
  • Options

Uh oh. Is it all over?
  • Options

Meh, that's in the immediate aftermath with huge media coverage. I don't think it will change the picture for Thursday.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

My understanding is that in the UK, Oxfam started the ball rolling for employee run charities instead of volunteer run charities and was very much created as a way to provide its student founders with a way of continuing to enjoy their jollies when their peers had to go out and find productive employment.
    Sounds like "your mum" was just a convenient proxy for your own prejudices.

• Options

stodge said:

Don't stop believin' in Dave

(A true Sopranos fan will get that reference)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    nunu said:

Uh oh. Is it all over?
    Let's hope not.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    nunu said:

Uh oh. Is it all over?
    No. At one stage, Leave were 13% behind with Survation.
  • Options

We heard you the first time ;)
  • Options
    Mr. Max, may yet be more coverage over those days. There'll be the statements in Parliament when it's recalled on Monday.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Mr. Pubgoer, the Conservatives should be grateful he doesn't do what Basil II would do...

What? Marry his sister off to a Russian?
  • Options

Must be an outlier.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,894
    Game. Set. Match. This will be a comfortable Remain win.
  • Options

Phone or internet ?
  • Options

Mr. Max, may yet be more coverage over those days. There'll be the statements in Parliament when it's recalled on Monday.

I don't know since I'm in Zurich! Waiting for my wonderful partner to get ready so we can head out!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Yes. She had a great backstory. It doesn't make her a saint, But she was clearly and exactly the sort of person we need in parliament if we are to bridge the gulf between government and governed, so cruelly exposed by this vote. Her death is extremely sad. For so many reasons.
    Agree entirely
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Lowlander said:

This is not the happiest post in the history of PB

I also don't understand the contempt for poor Jo Cox. By all accounts she was a committed public servant, and ardent democrat, with friends and admirers on all sides of politics. You can object to some of her views - I probably would - without reviling the Person. Surely. And you can despair of the Dianification without, again, seeing it as a black mark against the victim. She's dead, FFS

Ah well. Roll on Thursday.
    I agree. The only thing she did which I really object to is being involved in the counter demo to the fisherman, but when Bob made a twat of himself a lot of Labour remain buggered off.

However the public will see, as lowlander says, that when an ordinary person is murdered life goes on, but when a politician is murdered everything stops.

Some people will be moved one way whilst others will move the other. Or probably (hopefully) it will have no effect on democracy at all.

• Options
    NoEasyDay said:

Phone or internet ?
    Most phone polls are done by phone, I think.
  • Options
    Mr. M, I was thinking more of the treatment of the Bulgar army, which was so brutal that Samuel, tsar of the Bulgars, had a heart attack and died when the mostly blind army, shepherded by the 1% of 'lucky' chaps Basil had only blinded in one eye, returned home.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,894
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Meh, that's in the immediate aftermath with huge media coverage. I don't think it will change the picture for Thursday.
    I was right. 5 point swing. Add in status quo swing back and remain will win. It's a tragic way to decide a referendum. Simply awful.
    This. Tbh the final result will probably be a fairly easy win for Leave. Perhaps 58-42.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

I was right. 5 point swing. Add in status quo swing back and remain will win. It's a tragic way to decide a referendum. Simply awful.

IF that happens (still uncertain), why should anyone on the Leave side accept the result?

• Options

Yep, there it is. As expected. And it will get worse as that monster's motives seep through the public consciousness.

What a nightmare this referendum is.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,941
    tyson said:

I too was not overimpressed by Lowlander's mum. However, it is usually thought polite not to go up to people and tell them that their mum smells of poo, at least not since primary school. Lowlander was accurately reporting voting-relevant information, which for this site is the exception. The fact that it was unpleasant information is not relevant. You should have thanked him, not excoriated his mother, regardless of how much you thought she deserved it.

"Ken" who posted here last week was a somewhat grating fellow who referred to Remanians as "Federasts" and other similar witticisms. But he reported accurately and at length his experiences as a LEAVE campaigner in Glasgow and I was pleased that he took the time to do so, and I hope he will do so again. We spend so much time arguing about stuff we can ill afford to reject reports from the front line when they fall in our laps.

• Options

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

IF that happens (still uncertain), why should anyone on the Leave side accept the result?

Because I'd hope Leavers supported democracy.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

@TOPPING

Don't be silly. We trade usd exactly how we want. The fact that the US government claims extraterritorial jurisdiction and blackmails banks with a US presence into accepting thst is nothing to do with us
  • Options
    Mr. Max, hope your interview went well (or goes well, if you haven't had it yet).
  • Options
    stodge said:

I think it will be a lot easier to fix the Conservative party if Leave win than if Remain do.
  • Options
    alex. said:

NoEasyDay said:

Phone or internet ?
    Most phone polls are done by phone, I think.
    Oops yep.

So we are back to which is correct phone or internet.
  • Options

Yep, there it is. As expected. And it will get worse as that monster's motives seep through the public consciousness.

Sorry for being so miserable everyone, I'm normally quite chirpy! Whatever happens, we'll still live in a beautiful, blessed country.

• Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

It certainly won't help put the issue to bed.

A narrow Remain win after the recent tragedy will likely be a very unstable outcome and the calls for another vote will be strong and probably quite credible if the polling ends up showing this pattern and it comes true at the vote.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    GeoffM said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

GeoffM said:

tyson said:

Lowlander said:

Tyson is not intelligent enough to make that distinction.

I warn you now that you are wasting your time continuing to explain anything to the broken-brained fool. Save pixels and quit now.
    I'd suggest that most sane people would imagine working in Syria for a charity, having children and becoming an MP is a decent way to live your life regardless of whether you agree with their political stance.
    But, you know what, even if you didn't feel that way, anybody with any common decency would have the compassion ane emotional sense to keep their opinions to themselves.
    People criticising a woman murdered by a lunatic less than 3 days ago are saying far more about themselves and their values than hers.I
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Yes. She had a great backstory. It doesn't make her a saint, But she was clearly and exactly the sort of person we need in parliament if we are to bridge the gulf between government and governed, so cruelly exposed by this vote. Her death is extremely sad. For so many reasons.
    Bridge the gulf? Please. It is the views of her and others like her on immigration which have divided Labour from the people it was founded to advance. Her first speech in Parliament was about 'celebrating diversity', which I expect is a priority for a tiny fraction of her constituents.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Ah grammar schools! The way for the working classes to better themselves... What ever happened to them?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

To be fair, she seemed more interested in solving the problems of every trouble-spot in the wider world [an impossible pipedream] than domestic matters.

Except perhaps the rights of foxes, which are so important to everyone in Batley.
  • Options

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Because I'd hope Leavers supported democracy.

If Remain wins because of a killer (who either supports Remain or is insane), then it is not democracy.

• Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

I think we need to wait until the vote, but I think it's still 50/50. I think one poll taken in the aftermath isn't reliable, emotions were running too high, I remember an evening where I'm pretty sure I said the perpetrator should be put to death for treason.
  • Options
    Mr. Lowlander, another vote is unlikely to happen in the near future.

Parties have been torn to pieces over this, and the EU will be petrified will we give the wrong answer.

Assuming, of course, we vote Remain.
  • Options

Now the confirmation
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Isn't +3% and -3% in fact a 3% swing?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Ah grammar schools! The way for the working classes to better themselves... What ever happened to them?
    Margaret Thatcher realised they didn't help, so she abolished or merged many of them and put comprehensives in their place.
  • Options

stodge said:

Don't stop believin' in Dave

(A true Sopranos fan will get that reference)
    Tic tac.....the greatest episode of TV ever.

What a way to.......??? Just showing I'm a Sopranobeliever

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    As I forecast, the slender Leave lead has gone. And Leave needed a big lead going into Thursday. It's over, I can see a convincing Remain victory which will get Can and co off scott-free and it'll be business as usual going forward. Thanks to the nut with his homemade gun.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,892

Why are pollsters not giving the figures in terms of certainty to vote and excluding Don't Know's now?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,960
    SeanT - You are a good person. A good man.

Fuck this referendum. Seriously. Fuck it.
  • Options

Sorry for being so miserable everyone, I'm normally quite chirpy! Whatever happens, we'll still live in a beautiful, blessed country.

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/738046783465652224
  • Options
    I expect Remain will focus on this heavily, poor Roger Bootle

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/744261736245657600
  • Options
    viewcode said:

tyson said:

I too was not overimpressed by Lowlander's mum. However, it is usually thought polite not to go up to people and tell them that their mum smells of poo, at least not since primary school. Lowlander was accurately reporting voting-relevant information, which for this site is the exception. The fact that it was unpleasant information is not relevant. You should have thanked him, not excoriated his mother, regardless of how much you thought she deserved it.

"Ken" who posted here last week was a somewhat grating fellow who referred to Remanians as "Federasts" and other similar witticisms. But he reported accurately and at length his experiences as a LEAVE campaigner in Glasgow and I was pleased that he took the time to do so, and I hope he will do so again. We spend so much time arguing about stuff we can ill afford to reject reports from the front line when they fall in our laps.

What was his take on Glesga? Think I missed it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    As political as I am, I can't wait for this referendum to be over.
  • Options

That's interesting. Lets see if it is picked up in the two Yougov polls.

I have my doubts about the referendum polls. We will see what happens.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Why are pollsters not giving the figures in terms of certainty to vote and excluding Don't Know's now?
    Because I told them to.

It is usual to see what's happening with the don't knows, are they going up/down etc
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

To be fair, she seemed more interested in solving the problems of every trouble-spot in the wider world [an impossible pipedream] than domestic matters.

Except perhaps the rights of foxes, which are so important to everyone in Batley.
    I give you a wide berth Rod, as you know, because I think you are highly intelligent. But stop trying to be so incendiary.
  • Options
    Ronaldo missed! :lol:
  • Options
    Poor Ronaldo. heh
  • Options
    I also hate the fact that Leavers who have waited years for this feel that something utterly wrong and appalling may change the outcome of this referendum. What the hell is happening to our country?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Pulpstar said:

Ditto :weary:
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    GIN1138 said:

As I forecast, the slender Leave lead has gone. And Leave needed a big lead going into Thursday. It's over, I can see a convincing Remain victory which will get Can and co off scott-free and it'll be business as usual going forward. Thanks to the nut with his homemade gun.

I'd still be careful reading into one poll. Not sure the swing is that significant - I still fully expect a remain win but It will be close
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Chameleon said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

This. Tbh the final result will probably be a fairly easy win for Leave. Perhaps 58-42.
    It will be close and even this poll only has a 3% Remain lead. Remain 52 Leave 48 my forecast
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

It was said that Cameron is always trying to work out how to get through till Monday. To be fair he keeps managing it though goodness knows what he'll leave behind when he's gone. Give me lucky generals.......
  • Options
    I'm still sticking with my prediction of Remain to win by 12%-15%
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,990

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

tyson said:

Margaret Thatcher realised they didn't help, so she abolished or merged many of them and put comprehensives in their place.
    Along with support for the EEC, one of the most stupid things she did as a politician.
  • Options
    One more thing (!!) - can some Leavers at least understand why the stuff downthread about a deregulated, offshore City frightens the life out of some of us Remainers?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

Ditto :weary:
    It's certainly made interesting PB bedfellows. Just a year ago, who would have predicted Stodge siding with pro-Leave Tories, and Scott P with pro-Remain Labourites?!
This discussion has been closed.