Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Which of the following areas will have the highest Remain s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,722
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Which of the following areas will have the highest Remain share of the vote

Ladbrokes have a market up on which of the above areas will have the highest Remain share of the vote.  My attention was attracted straight away to Brighton, from my various visits there, it just feels somewhere that will vote strongly for Remain. At 16/1 it seems like a bet worth making, though I’m sure others will disagree and have their own suggestions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I'd look at the AV results. Though remember the Brighton council area is Brighton and Hove.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Second like the losing side in the EU referendum.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    I'd start with the highest Yes to AV areas then adjust for skittishness and demographics. My gut instinct would be to look for the inner London Borough with the best combination of Bohemia AND pockets of higher income voters. Though that said is Ladbrokes being mischievous with that list ? Given the regional polling has Northern Ireland as the most pro Remain area and the Border issue why have they listed no border councils with large nationalist communities I wonder ?!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    edited June 2016
    It seems that the Avaaz network are going to be campaigning for remain, but I don't think I have ever seen a more patronising promotional email. Vote for Remain because we all know that Mr Farage is a nasty man!

-----
    Dear Avaazers across the UK,

The results are in, and an overwhelming majority of our movement has spoken: we're voting remain!!

Brexit is the dream of the Trumps and Farages of this world. And like them, the Leave campaign has risen in the polls mainly through fantastic lies delivered by rag media.

The truth is, Europe is a no-brainer. The challenges we face are, by far, best met together. Our unity is a force for peace, for human and labour rights, for environmental sustainability, for our future. And that's why those who want to take us backward on all those fronts, also want Brexit.

We have 9 days left, and we're going to fight, every hour of it, for Britain, and for Europe. The Avaaz remain campaign must be 100% funded by donations through this email. Whether we have the funds to rise to this moment and mobilise our 1 million UK members depends on whether just 4000 of us chip in the price of a drink or a meal in the next 12 hours. This is the choice and chance of our generation - let's rise to it:

YES, I'LL DONATE ...

Sometimes, history strikes when we're not looking. Too trusting that Brexit was silly and therefore unlikely, sensible people have been relatively silent in our media while Tory politicians slugged it out. But this is too important - it's time to take this debate back from the loons and liars, before it's too late.

If enough of us support, Avaaz will:
    • run ads in the Metro, one of the most widely read papers in Britain, making our case for remain
    • churn out steady social media content in the next 9 days to make the case and encourage voting
    • mobilise our movement to hit the phones and knock on doors for the remain campaign
    • change the frame of the debate - running a world record "kiss-chain" of love across the continent
    • anything and everything else we can think of and execute on this urgent timeline
    Europe is not perfect, but neither is the UK government. We need to work for reform of both. One lie pushed by the leave camp is that Europe is not democratic - but all the laws are made, and all the officials appointed, by ministers and MEPs and governments that we elect!

And Europe is an incredible dream - to see nations that murdered each other just 2 generations ago, working together in peace and unity. That dream of our grandparents and future for our grandchildren is on the line now - let's not lose it without a fight:

YES, I'LL DONATE ...

Brexit isn't just about Europe. It's the end of Britain too - because if the UK leaves Europe, Scotland will leave the UK, and possibly Northern Ireland as well.

• Options
    The last bit of that Avaaz email, for the record:
    ------
    Britain has long been a globalised nation and people - it is our past, and our future. It's also been key to our leadership in the world - the Commonwealth of Nations, the European Union, and the United Nations were all built with British leadership at their core. It's just a different kind of Britain that the Nigel Farages want - one that isn't us. By next Wednesday, let's make sure we remember who we are.

With hope,

Ricken, Alice, Alex, Fatima, Bert, and the whole Avaaz UK team

MORE INFORMATION

The UK's EU referendum: All you need to know (BBC)
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

Gordon Brown is taking the long view of European history – and that will swing the last votes (Independent)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/gordon-brown-is-taking-the-long-view-of-european-history-and-that-could-swing-votes-a7079901.html

EU referendum: leave takes six-point lead in Guardian/ICM polls (The Guardian)
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/13/eu-referendum-leave-campaign-takes-six-point-lead-in-guardianicm-polls
  • Options

I'd start with the highest Yes to AV areas then adjust for skittishness and demographics. My gut instinct would be to look for the inner London Borough with the best combination of Bohemia AND pockets of higher income voters. Though that said is Ladbrokes being mischievous with that list ? Given the regional polling has Northern Ireland as the most pro Remain area and the Border issue why have they listed no border councils with large nationalist communities I wonder ?!

That was meant to say " Scottishness " My predictive text obviously wants to provoke the CyberNats.
  • Options
    So now Gideon is turning to Blackmail. Vote the way I say or I put 2p on Income tax and cut spending on the NHS

Slight problem Gideon old chap - after a Brexit vote you won't be Chancellor for the next budget.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220
    Welcome YellowSubmarine - I think it's restricted to the areas listed, so no funny business.

I think it will be one of Oxford or Cambridge - but it's hard to call which. I think Oxford has a bigger 'Town' population than Cambridge (i.e. people more likely to be like the rest of the country), but some of them may be concerned about the Mini plant at Cowley. If I had to put money on it, I'd go for Cambridge.
  • Options

So now Gideon is turning to Blackmail. Vote the way I say or I put 2p on Income tax and cut spending on the NHS

Slight problem Gideon old chap - after a Brexit vote you won't be Chancellor for the next budget.

You're quite right he'll be out on his ear. So he's nothing to lose now. You can't change strategy this late in a campaign. You can adapt your strategy a bit which is what he's doing. His fundamental framing has always been " You hate immigration but enough to be poorer to do something about it ? ". So tax rises and spending cuts are just a different flavour of his core strategy. At this stage Double or Quits is a rational move for him.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,845

That was meant to say " Scottishness " My predictive text obviously wants to provoke the CyberNats.
    Welcome (back?) YellowSubmarine - they only require the slightest provocation - beware incoming Turnips.....
  • Options

Slight problem, Paul old chap.

You get no say in the matter until 2020.......
  • Options

You're quite right he'll be out on his ear. So he's nothing to lose now. You can't change strategy this late in a campaign. You can adapt your strategy a bit which is what he's doing. His fundamental framing has always been " You hate immigration but enough to be poorer to do something about it ? ". So tax rises and spending cuts are just a different flavour of his core strategy. At this stage Double or Quits is a rational move for him.
    That may well be his line of thinking.

The only way to deal with bullies though is to face them down

Basically...F*** Off Osborne, we're all voting out :)
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016

No but I know a lot of people who do who have got their letters to Graham Brady ready to pop in the post.

PS - Exactly how is threatening to raise the higher rate of income tax by 3% and inheritance tax by 5% meant to encourage Labour voters to vote Remain lol
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Welcome back, Mr Sub :smiley:
  • Options
    Guido is calling it the "Anti Vow"

2p added to the 20p basic rate of income tax
    3p added to the 40p higher rate of income tax
    5p on the rate of inheritance tax, taking it from 40p to 45p
    A 5% jump in fuel and alcohol duties
    £2 billion cut from the pensions bill
    2% cuts to the “protected” NHS, schools and defence budgets
    5% cuts in budgets like policing, transport and councils

http://order-order.com/2016/06/15/osborne-drops-schrodingers-dead-cat/

Osborne will be lucky if it is not a two thirds majority for Brexit after threatening us like this.

I notice that the £12 bn international aid budget isnt on that target list. Funny that.
  • Options

I can't wait to see the back of him and Cameron. I've nothing but contempt for their behaviour during this campaign. Blackmailing the electorate? Seriously?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

well the man with 2% support is history whatever happens,

his goal now is to take Boris with him

win-win
  • Options
    Under statement of the decade:

There are many examples of fine diplomacy by the British Foreign Office. Europe is not one of them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/14/dont-want-to-leave-but-hate-the-idea-of-remain-i-have-the-ideal/
  • Options

I notice that the £12 bn international aid budget isnt on that target list. Funny that.

I know Gove and Boris have been careful not to appear to engage in blue-on-blue attacks (despite severe provocation), but perhaps now is the time stick the knife into Osborne (if not Cameron)?
  • Options
    Suddenly Labour big wigs want to talk about immigration.

About 15 years too late.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    tlg86 said:

I know Gove and Boris have been careful not to appear to engage in blue-on-blue attacks

LOL

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/david-cameron/news/75536/michael-gove-and-boris-johnson
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I know Gove and Boris have been careful not to appear to engage in blue-on-blue attacks (despite severe provocation)
    You missed this then?

Michael Gove attacks David Cameron over EU 'scaremongering'

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/03/eu-referendum-michael-gove-agrees-to-audit-of-vote-leave-350m-claim
  • Options
    Is a budget not a confidence vote? If Brexiteers vote it down, surely we get a GE?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I can't wait to see the back of him and Cameron. I've nothing but contempt for their behaviour during this campaign. Blackmailing the electorate? Seriously?
    It's an interesting one. " It's the economy stupid " is basically an accessible way of saying voters will vote on lower issues in Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs. If it were just that I won't be having a wobble on Remain scraping through. What I find very difficult to read is where hostility to recent immigration is in Maslow's Heirarchy. On the one had it's discussed in a fairly abstract way albeit in the way the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are abstract. There is also the huge gap between folk saying immigration is a top issue for the nation and a top issue for their family.

However competition for space and resources couldn't be lower on Maslow's Heirarchy. Perhaps the slogan of the Referendum will turn out to be " Immigration *is* the Economy Stupid ! " ?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I know Gove and Boris have been careful not to appear to engage in blue-on-blue attacks (despite severe provocation)
    You missed this then?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/03/eu-referendum-michael-gove-agrees-to-audit-of-vote-leave-350m-claim
    can't see what the problem is, the Tories are one big happy family
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

About 15 years too late.

Yvette's article in the Guardian yesterday was full of the usual Labour tripe on the subject.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    I am intrigued by the idea that it is not a threat to say that if we vote to remain in the EU we will be overrun by Turks, Albanians, Bisnians and various other vile people.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is a budget not a confidence vote? If Brexiteers vote it down, surely we get a GE?

Motion of no confidence
    A government cannot operate effectively unless it can command a majority within the House of Commons. Should it fail to enjoy the confidence of the majority of the House, it has to hold a general election. For example, on 28 March 1979, the Conservative Opposition defeated the Labour Government by 311-310 votes on the motion "That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government". Parliament was dissolved on 7 April, the General Election was won by the Conservatives on 3 May, with the new Parliament summoned to meet on 9 May 1979. Governments can also be forced into resignation or into calling a general election by being defeated in the debate on the Queen's Speech (its legislative programme for the session) as for instance on 21 January 1924, or losing its Finance Bill, or other major items of legislation on which it fought a general election campaign.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-information-office/m07.pdf

emphasis added
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    chestnut said:

About 15 years too late.

Yvette's article in the Guardian yesterday was full of the usual Labour tripe on the subject.
    It remains to be seen how serious Labour are about addressing immigration.

Theyve just spent 2 decades rubbing their core supporters noses in diversity
  • Options

About 15 years too late.

Yep, it's almost as ridiculous as right wing Tories posing as the defenders of the working class. This referendum is doing funny things to people.

• Options
    edited June 2016

chestnut said:

About 15 years too late.

I am looking forward to Chancellor Gove increasing spending on the NHS by £350 million a week.

• Options

I am intrigued by the idea that it is not a threat to say that if we vote to remain in the EU we will be overrun by Turks, Albanians, Bisnians and various other vile people.

Of course it is.
  • Options

Or suffer an Orlando-style attack:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/13/shameful-leaveeu-tweet-uk-face-orlando-style-attack

Though since Orlando was carried out by a New York born American citizen, I'm not sure how leaving the EU would have any bearing on whether a London born British citizen would or would not carry out an Orlando style attack.

Perhaps a LEAVEr could explain?
  • Options

chestnut said:

About 15 years too late.

I am looking forward to Chancellor Gove increasing spending on the NHS by £350 million a week.

me too, ABO
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

Osborne will be lucky if it is not a two thirds majority for Brexit after threatening us like this.

Who cares what Guido thinks? He's just a trashy small minded bigot.

Anyway, back on topic, Btighton and Hove seems the best value from the list above.
  • Options

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/13/shameful-leaveeu-tweet-uk-face-orlando-style-attack

Though since Orlando was carried out by a New York born American citizen, I'm not sure how leaving the EU would have any bearing on whether a London born British citizen would or would not carry out an Orlando style attack.

yes, the Guardian is sulking.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,122
    In my in-box this morning is one from Unite (I was a member when an NHS employee, so am a “retired member”....... don’t pay anything though) urging me to Vote Remain. Not too long, simply phrased.

Good to see; maybe this last push from Labour and the unions will save the day.
  • Options

chestnut said:

About 15 years too late.

In fairness to Chancellor Gove, he's already backed that off to £100 million a week.

Its the back bencher from Uxbridge, who notoriously doesn't do details, who might have a bit of explaining to do.....

Boris Johnson was left red-faced tonight after he was forced to admit he hadn't read a Bank of England report he'd been misquoting through the campaign.

The bottle-blonde Brexit backer blustered as he was skewered by the SNP's Alex Salmond on his claims.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/red-faced-boris-johnson-forced-8193003

Heroic alliteration: bottle-blonde Brexit backer blustered
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Scott_P said:

Motion of no confidence
    A government cannot operate effectively unless it can command a majority within the House of Commons. Should it fail to enjoy the confidence of the majority of the House, it has to hold a general election. For example, on 28 March 1979, the Conservative Opposition defeated the Labour Government by 311-310 votes on the motion "That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government". Parliament was dissolved on 7 April, the General Election was won by the Conservatives on 3 May, with the new Parliament summoned to meet on 9 May 1979. Governments can also be forced into resignation or into calling a general election by being defeated in the debate on the Queen's Speech (its legislative programme for the session) as for instance on 21 January 1924, or losing its Finance Bill, or other major items of legislation on which it fought a general election campaign.

emphasis added
    May 2010. Pre FTPA.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    VoteLeave will present later today a Queen’s Speech-style blueprint if they win...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/all-systems-go-as-brexit-camp-reveals-its-blueprint-for-britain-gdqtc8cf6
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    murali_s said:

Anyway, back on topic, Btighton and Hove seems the best value from the list above.
    Manchester looks like good value too.

Westminster ought to be high up the list, along with Lambeth, Haringey, and Camden.
  • Options

In my in-box this morning is one from Unite (I was a member when an NHS employee, so am a “retired member”....... don’t pay anything though) urging me to Vote Remain. Not too long, simply phrased.

Too late for that. But we're not leaving the EU any time soon. In fact, don't be surprised if we never do despite voting to. The key finding for me in that Sun poll is that 68% of respondents said they would not be prepared to make any personal financial sacrifice to halt unlimited immigration from the EU. That rings very true.

• Options

The details don't matter it's the framing. Leave have successfully framed this as a kind of national by election. A one off opportunity to send a message in an election very few people care about the out come of. You can win by elections on single issues and anger. However outraged folk are by that specific lust of policies, however unpopular they are, Osborne wins because he's changed the subject. The broad balance of tax and spend makes it seem like a General Election. Cameron and Osborne can win that. They've done it twice before now.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,808
    FPT Chelyabinsk

"The rumour from (I believe) Steve Hilton was that the Conservative top echelons became incredibly frustrated in their first term when most of the big reforms they thought were necessary turned out to be impossible because of EU membership. As such, everything was set up for a massive orchestrated row with the EU which would lead to Cameron leading Leave and winning a whopping great victory, with disentanglement from the EU being the crowning achievement of his premiership. Somewhere along the line, apparently, the plan went wrong."

That is precisely so. Not just Gove and Hilton either, but also Letwin and a couple of others.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

VoteLeave will present later today a Queen’s Speech-style blueprint if they win...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/all-systems-go-as-brexit-camp-reveals-its-blueprint-for-britain-gdqtc8cf6

They should promise to put George Osborne on trial. Leave landslide.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,930
    edited June 2016

One of the joys of a negative campaign. It's a game for any number of players. After the Turkish poster and the NHS broadcast George should have a fun week
  • Options

chestnut said:

About 15 years too late.

In fairness to Chancellor Gove, he's already backed that off to £100 million a week.

Its the back bencher from Uxbridge, who notoriously doesn't do details, who might have a bit of explaining to do.....

Boris Johnson was left red-faced tonight after he was forced to admit he hadn't read a Bank of England report he'd been misquoting through the campaign.

The bottle-blonde Brexit backer blustered as he was skewered by the SNP's Alex Salmond on his claims.

It's so reassuring to know that Boris will be spearheading the Brexit negotiations :-)

• Options
    On topic, I agree that Brighton looks good at 16/1.

Edinburgh does not.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

It's the Governments duty to manage the economy.
    If they believe that Brexit will harm the economy they have to cut their coat accordingly. Brexiteers may dispute that judgement but the electorate will eventually judge the guilty men when things become clearer.
    Since this referendum is basically a blue on blue struggle I suspect that Tory politicians will be the ones to suffer most if Brexit does occur. A lot will depend on what happens politically in the case of Brexit. If Boris and Gove take over and then have to increase income tax and cut expenditure then we may have to look forward to Corbyn with a landslide.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tlg86 said:

Welcome YellowSubmarine - I think it's restricted to the areas listed, so no funny business.

I think it will be one of Oxford or Cambridge - but it's hard to call which. I think Oxford has a bigger 'Town' population than Cambridge (i.e. people more likely to be like the rest of the country), but some of them may be concerned about the Mini plant at Cowley. If I had to put money on it, I'd go for Cambridge.

I put a couple of quid on Cambridge, between University and Silicon Fen it should be heavily for Remain. My only reservation is that all of these areas have hinterlands that may not be so Remain.
  • Options
    This should have been Labour's ideal campaign.

nailed on victory and Tories tearing themselves apart.

Instead they have turned out to be the weakest link and while the Tories are on cue ripping each other apart, Labour are suddenly looking into a chasm of their own growing bewteen their traditional WC supporters and their middle class luvvies.

What happens next ?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Not a market that I will be playing though the general strategy suggested by Yellow Submarine looks sound to me.

Good to see Yellow Submarine back.
  • Options

The details don't matter it's the framing. Leave have successfully framed this as a kind of national by election. A one off opportunity to send a message in an election very few people care about the out come of. You can win by elections on single issues and anger. However outraged folk are by that specific lust of policies, however unpopular they are, Osborne wins because he's changed the subject. The broad balance of tax and spend makes it seem like a General Election. Cameron and Osborne can win that. They've done it twice before now.
    The VoteLeave proposals today are pretty interesting. Legislative proposals to;

- remove VAT on domestic energy
    - take back WTO seat
    - new Bill to deport criminals/terrorists
    - repeal legislation that gives EU supremacy over our laws
    - stop EU payments to big businesses
    - end free movement from the EU
    - guarantee extra NHS funding
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,122

Too late for that. But we're not leaving the EU any time soon. In fact, don't be surprised if we never do despite voting to. The key finding for me in that Sun poll is that 68% of respondents said they would not be prepared to make any personal financial sacrifice to halt unlimited immigration from the EU. That rings very true.

I strongly suspect a lot of postal votes will have gone in already, but a lot of people will vote on the day.

And I hope you are right.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat
    Alas, crowded out by the Blackmail Budget.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

tlg86 said:

I know Gove and Boris have been careful not to appear to engage in blue-on-blue attacks

LOL

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/david-cameron/news/75536/michael-gove-and-boris-johnson
    I was thinking more along the lines of returning the shit thrown at Boris by Amber Rudd. I'd be calling out Osborne's budget in March as an attempt to buy the leadership. That is, he doesn't care about the country, he only cares about himself.
  • Options

yes, the Guardian is sulking.
    The most outrageous thing I have seen following the Orlando attack was the boss of Stonewall on the BBC yesterday using it to attack Roman Catholics, on the basis of "this was a religiously motivated attack, and RCs traditionally don't like homosexuality, and there are some bits in Leviticus I don't like, therefore...".
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

Westminster ought to be high up the list, along with Lambeth, Haringey, and Camden.
    On Shadsy's Leave list, I think Portsmouth is good value. The combination of Navy and WWC is there, and there is a prominent Leaver MP in Penny Mordaunt. 16/1
  • Options

tlg86 said:

You missed this then?

What we're watching are some very senior politicians fighting for their political lives. A betting man would put his money on the most ruthless .......
  • Options
    I'm not surprised that Leavers are sulking about George Osborne's latest move. Unpleasant questions such as how to pay for the implementation of their very expensive hobby horse aren't half as much fun as imagining yourself to be an oppressed people struggling to be free.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,240

This should have been Labour's ideal campaign.

nailed on victory and Tories tearing themselves apart.

Instead they have turned out to be the weakest link and while the Tories are on cue ripping each other apart, Labour are suddenly looking into a chasm of their own growing bewteen their traditional WC supporters and their middle class luvvies.

What happens next ?

They've been looking into that chasm since 2010 - where have you been?

An interesting thing is whether the bait and switchers - the Tories who talked up UKIP through the 2010-15 period but then cast their vote for Con in the 2015 GE lose their patience with the party if it doesn't deliver a huge dip in immigration very soon after this referendum.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

tlg86 said:

LOL

I was thinking more along the lines of returning the shit thrown at Boris by Amber Rudd. I'd be calling out Osborne's budget in March as an attempt to buy the leadership. That is, he doesn't care about the country, he only cares about himself.

The Tory Leavers would then have to explain why they voted for it.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

FPT Chelyabinsk

"The rumour from (I believe) Steve Hilton was that the Conservative top echelons became incredibly frustrated in their first term when most of the big reforms they thought were necessary turned out to be impossible because of EU membership. As such, everything was set up for a massive orchestrated row with the EU which would lead to Cameron leading Leave and winning a whopping great victory, with disentanglement from the EU being the crowning achievement of his premiership. Somewhere along the line, apparently, the plan went wrong."

That is precisely so. Not just Gove and Hilton either, but also Letwin and a couple of others.

I wonder what derailed the plan.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat
    Are we voting for a new government? Have they made it clear now?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat
    any differences with the UKIP 2015 manifesto?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,506
    At the risk of stating the obvious the second most effective ploy of Leave has been to discuss all the nice things we can get with the £350m a week (ahem). It is therefore typically clever tactics by Osborne to make it clear that in his opinion there will be significantly less money to go around after Brexit not more.

Will anyone believe him? I'm really not sure. The previous "forecasts" of the Treasury were so overdone (adding up years of MoE differences from a model based on entirely negative assumptions to get a largish figure) and ridiculed that I think this effort might be less successful than it might have been. But if Osborne can get the debate off immigration and back on to the economic effects he will do the Remain campaign some good. For all the vitriol poured on him on here of late he is a brilliant political operator who should not be underestimated.

On topic the most likely winner in my view is indeed Edinburgh but at those odds this is a mugs bet.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    MP_SE said:

FPT Chelyabinsk

I wonder what derailed the plan.
    lizards/bildeberg
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat

The wonderful magic money tree. All that new spending and not a penny of tax increases.

And completely illegal too, of course, given that we will be in the EU until we formally leave it and so will not be able to half the things promised because we will still be bound by EU rules.

• Options
    DavidL said:

At the risk of stating the obvious the second most effective ploy of Leave has been to discuss all the nice things we can get with the £350m a week (ahem). It is therefore typically clever tactics by Osborne to make it clear that in his opinion there will be significantly less money to go around after Brexit not more.

Will anyone believe him? I'm really not sure. The previous "forecasts" of the Treasury were so overdone (adding up years of MoE differences from a model based on entirely negative assumptions to get a largish figure) and ridiculed that I think this effort might be less successful than it might have been. But if Osborne can get the debate off immigration and back on to the economic effects he will do the Remain campaign some good. For all the vitriol poured on him on here of late he is a brilliant political operator who should not be underestimated.

On topic the most likely winner in my view is indeed Edinburgh but at those odds this is a mugs bet.

Here's the thing:
    In a contradictory finding, three in five Brits – 61% – say that they would be willing to accept a short term economic slowdown in order to see EU immigration controls tightened, which Brexit would allow.
    But a significant majority of more than two thirds – 68% – at the same time insist they are not willing to lose any cash at all personally to reduce the number of migrants coming in from Europe.
    In other words, voters are happy to leave the EU if it causes someone else financial pain, but not if it causes them any.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018

PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat

The wonderful magic money tree. All that new spending and not a penny of tax increases.

And completely illegal too, of course, given that we will be in the EU until we formally leave it and so will not be able to half the things promised because we will still be bound by EU rules.

Maybe they plan to leave first and negotiate later. Is an Act of Parliament necessary, or can they just abrogate the accession treaty using the Royal Prerogative? Either way we could leave in a couple of months.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Here's the thing:
    In a contradictory finding, three in five Brits – 61% – say that they would be willing to accept a short term economic slowdown in order to see EU immigration controls tightened, which Brexit would allow.
    But a significant majority of more than two thirds – 68% – at the same time insist they are not willing to lose any cash at all personally to reduce the number of migrants coming in from Europe.
    In other words, voters are happy to leave the EU if it causes someone else financial pain, but not if it causes them any.

It's logical, if unattractive.
  • Options

It seems like years. Last time you were here you used to have a party...but good to have you posting again.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat

Remember the fury on here when John Major said that the Leave campaign was morphing into UKIP? There really is no discernible difference now, is there? I blame marauding, swarthy, vile Turks.

• Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

I'm not surprised that Leavers are sulking about George Osborne's latest move. Unpleasant questions such as how to pay for the implementation of their very expensive hobby horse aren't half as much fun as imagining yourself to be an oppressed people struggling to be free.

When was the last time the treasury or the BoE got a forecast right?
    His sums are based on conjecture and scare tactics.
    I note he isnt proposing to touch the £12bn international aid budget.
    Its pure blackmail.. Brits dont like that ..
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat

Maybe they plan to leave first and negotiate later. Is an Act of Parliament necessary, or can they just abrogate the accession treaty using the Royal Prerogative? Either way we could leave in a couple of months.

No, we can't. It's two years at a minimum after Article 50 is invoked. And if I remember rightly a lot of Leavers do not believe it should be invoked immediately.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat

Remember the fury on here when John Major said that the Leave campaign was morphing into UKIP? There really is no discernible difference now, is there? I blame marauding, swarthy, vile Turks.

Michael Gove and Boris Johnson have turned into Nigel Farage's cat's paws. I wonder whether either realise how strategically outmanoeuvred they have been.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat

You say it as if the PB Babyeaters would see that as a bad thing.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

On Shadsy's Leave list, I think Portsmouth is good value. The combination of Navy and WWC is there, and there is a prominent Leaver MP in Penny Mordaunt. 16/1
    Do you have a link?

IMO, the biggest Leave percentages will be Boston, Dover, Thanet, Thurrock, Havering, Basildon, Sandwell, Rotherham, Great Yarmouth, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Doncaster, Tendring, South Tyneside, although I don't know which order.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Here's the thing:

It's logical, if unattractive.

It's why I am increasingly sure that a leave vote next week will end up making very little practical difference to our relationship with the EU.

• Options
    timmo said:

A £30 billion hole? A bagatelle for Leavers. Let's just hope that the economic consensus is wildly inaccurate and wildly inaccurate the right way.

If it all goes wrong we can just shut quite a few hospitals. I'm sure no one would mind.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,506

DavidL said:

Here's the thing:

Is it not always thus? Every politician of the left for example promises to tax the rich and make them pay their fair share. And who are they? Well the people earning slightly more than me of course. I'm not rich, I can hardly pay my bills, they can't possibly mean me.

What I also think that polling shows is that for all the sound and fury expended on here arguing with people who are simply never going to change their minds most people really just don't care about the EU that much. It would be nice to leave but not if it causes even minor inconvenience.

This is why Remain are still very much in the game. They need to big up this decision over the next 8 days and Leave need to play it down. Since most of the keenest leave supporters seem to live for little else this is going to be tricky.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I'm wondering if a lasting legacy of this referendum will be damage to all mainstream political parties. Where the country has been looking for clear, truthful discussion on the merits of each side, we've been given an avalanche of political games and blatant lies.

I'm disgusted by the latest ploy by Osborne and although a lifelong Tory supporter find my dislike of Cameron and Osborne increasing every day.

Where will I place my vote - if at all - in the future?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat

And moving on from Boris....
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat

Michael Gove and Boris Johnson have turned into Nigel Farage's cat's paws. I wonder whether either realise how strategically outmanoeuvred they have been.
    Nigel Farage's strategic judgement has proved to be excellent, even though he was not the man to front the strategy.
  • Options

timmo said:

A £30 billion hole? A bagatelle for Leavers. Let's just hope that the economic consensus is wildly inaccurate and wildly inaccurate the right way.

If it all goes wrong we can just shut quite a few hospitals. I'm sure no one would mind.

Maybe the experts will be as wrong as they were about an independent Scotland's dependence on oil revenue.

• Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    I am astounded by remainers here so eagerly clutching at Osbornes straws.

His threats are so over the top as not to be credible - especially as not a penny is proposed to be cut from the £12 billion foreign aid budget.

Osborne and co have learned nothing and still think we are fools
  • Options

timmo said:

The hospitals will be empty of staff, so an easy way to save a few quid.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Any Questions from Edinburgh last Saturday was as good as any I've heard. Forsyth Murray and the stupidest SNPer I could ever conceive of (Tasmina). I seriously wondered whether they chose their candidates in a lucky dip.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I'm wondering if a lasting legacy of this referendum will be damage to all mainstream political parties.

I agree

I can't see myself voting for a party led by BoZo any time soon
  • Options

timmo said:

Maybe the experts will be as wrong as they were about an independent Scotland's dependence on oil revenue.

It must be as likely as a happy ending. But Leavers are so outraged by the consensus that they don't stop to consider that it might easily understate the danger.
  • Options

His threats are so over the top as not to be credible - especially as not a penny is proposed to be cut from the £12 billion foreign aid budget.

Osborne is doing what Osborne does. The Tory Leavers on here used to love it. Now they don't.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Motion of no confidence

emphasis added
    May 2010. Pre FTPA.
    Do feel free to post a link to more updated information.....
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Odd. Lots of right-wing Tory MPs running around this morning suddenly arguing Jeremy Corbyn's Labour party would never back tax rises.

Well, quite.

How many Labour MPs are required to outvote the Brexiteers?

I don't advise asking BoZo to do the sums on that one...
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    edited June 2016
    I'm not sure if George is acting like a spoilt child, or is it more akin to the inspector in 'On the buses' - "I'll get you for this Blakey."

No, I think it may be the spoilt, posh boy who reacts with fury when he fails to get his own way.

It can only be an act of desperation, as it's a high-risk strategy. It would have more effect if anyone trusted him to find his own arse with a roadmap and compass. And it will certainly remind Labour voters why they vote the way they do.

Little Lord Fauntleroy is having a hissy fit.

Sorry for all the stereotypes, but it's like a cartoon character come to life.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

chestnut said:

About 15 years too late.

It's so reassuring to know that Boris will be spearheading the Brexit negotiations :-)

You are having fun throwing rocks today aren't you :p

Boris might be PM, but I wouldn't put that at more than a 30% chance, if he is, he will not be heading the negotiations, as can be seen from his tenure in London City Hall, he does the big picture sunlit uplands moral boosting routine, and then hires a huge load of deputies to do the detailed spade work.

In the event of a Boris PM I can't see he would change that formula much, he would appoint an astute, clubbable, establishment eurosceptic (The Mogg!) to head the negotiations, someone that will not set the eurocrats teeth on edge more than is necessary and leave them to it while he does the hopey changey stuff.
  • Options

If we vote Leave, he still has some time left to pursue a scorched earth strategy.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat

No, we can't. It's two years at a minimum after Article 50 is invoked. And if I remember rightly a lot of Leavers do not believe it should be invoked immediately.

For people keen to LEAVE they seem curiously loth to do so.......

Hasn't Cameron said he'd invoke Article 50 the morning of a LEAVE vote?
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I'm wondering if a lasting legacy of this referendum will be damage to all mainstream political parties. Where the country has been looking for clear, truthful discussion on the merits of each side, we've been given an avalanche of political games and blatant lies.

I'm disgusted by the latest ploy by Osborne and although a lifelong Tory supporter find my dislike of Cameron and Osborne increasing every day.

Ha, ha - welcome to my world.

Whatever happens next Thursday as a country we face years of uncertainty. A Tory party that has lost all sense of unity, an unelectable Labour party and a phalanx of nationalists who are hamstring by the economic impossibility of independence. Good old FPTP.

• Options
    Blue_rog said:

The SNP, LibDems and Greens have all come through the campaign unsplit.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

- take back WTO seat

For people keen to LEAVE they seem curiously loth to do so.......

Hasn't Cameron said he'd invoke Article 50 the morning of a LEAVE vote?
    If the results 51/49 or similar either way I think it'll be imperative to sit back and take stock
This discussion has been closed.