Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM polls bring fresh pain for Remain

SystemSystem Posts: 11,722
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM polls bring fresh pain for Remain

Support for leaving the EU is strengthening, with both phone and online surveys reporting a six-point lead, according to a new pair of Guardian/ICM polls.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,958
    FIRST LIKE LEAVE!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,188
    Wot - no six smiling Farages?

Disappointed you missed that chance to use the bogeyman....
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited June 2016
    Third like. Um. Well, I dunno.

Spoilt ballots, maybe?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,521
    edited June 2016
    Also ran...like the country post Brexit
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Vote Remain or you are Trump's hair
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Second like the country post Brexit

I think you mean fourth like Osborne, in the first round of the forthcoming leadership election....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Interesting polls, but they were wrong at the General Election.

Genuinely fascinating we might leave, though.

On an unrelated note, could Mr. 1000 or Mr. Eagles clarify the status of MikeK? He isn't banned, but says he can't post.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,689
    edited June 2016

Every time I see a picture of a smiling Farage, my brain thinks 'where is Anna Soubry's finger?'
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited June 2016
    Can we have an article by Mr Meeks on why Leave's campaign is crap?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Every time I see a picture of a smiling Farage, my brain thinks 'where is Anna Soubry's finger?'
    Finger? You can only just see the elbow.
  • Options
    Wasn't the thinking that Leave needed to be 7 points ahead to beat the regional distortions and the swingback? If so, Remain squeak it by those voters allowed from extended registration. With England voting to Leave. Good luck governing then, Dave....
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Can we have an article by Mr Meeks on why Leave is crap?

I have a topic for a new piece - it centres on one man.....

(To clarify, it isn't Mr. Meeks)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited June 2016
    Imagine if the leave campaign hadn't been run like a production meeting for an episode of TFI Friday!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2016
    These ICM polls don't include the 1.2M odd NI voters, right?
  • Options

Only when Farage is pulling his pantomime Dame face....
  • Options

Wasn't the thinking that Leave needed to be 7 points ahead to beat the regional distortions and the swingback? If so, Remain squeak it by those voters allowed from extended registration. With England voting to Leave. Good luck governing then, Dave....

If you count certain to vote only you have your 7% and more
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Mortimer I'm disappointed.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    edited June 2016
    Leave's to lose now. It's the markets or bust for Remain. They have fought an abysmal campaign, though Leave's has been little better. The turning point - as I said a the time - was the release of the immigration stats a couple of weeks back. Cameron hoisted by his own petard (or whatever the phrase is). In retrospect he has spent the last eight years or so sowing the ground for this defeat and his consignment to history. Over to Boris.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    FPT:
    Freggles said:

I am laughing now but really I don't want Leave to win. It will be a disaster for the North East.

Why do you think Leave will hit the North East hard?
  • Options

Even if this is just a puff in the polling wind - isn't it so much fun?! :lol:

Never in a month of Sundays did I ever think we'd be here.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    If the tweet from Wintour is right, then it is over.

If Senior Labour Figures argue the migration deal is insufficient and go public, then there is no way that Cameron can win.

Labour voters are not going to vote for Cameron if their own side is telling them the deal is bad.

There is definitely an opportunity here for Labour. They can disassociate themselves from the defeat and let the Tories own it.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

PlatoSaid said:

Can we have an article by Mr Meeks on why Leave is crap?

I have a topic for a new piece - it centres on one man.....

(To clarify, it isn't Mr. Meeks)
    Corbyn or Cameron? Both are great for Leave.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

The Labour anecdata is arguably more important than the polls. For Labour figures to say this about migration (migration!) must mean they are absolutely panicked.

REMAIN is losing. And the Labour dudes are right. Some kind of vow is needed. Cameron has to go UDI - say we need control on migration, in the next two years, or we leave.

Put a gun to the heads of the other EU states. See who blinks.

Would it work? No idea. But if Dave really believes half the crap he's spouted about Apocalypse Impending, he needs to do it, or something similar

Dave will also be long gone if he did that & found he couldn't inact it. But who is going to believe him / eu, given their current approach to illegal immigration?
  • Options

@Mortimer I'm disappointed.

:-)

Still time for a last minute intervention.

'It woz the Pensions Expert 'wot won it' has a lovely ring to it....

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Anecdata:

Overheard conversation in waiting room at work. Several retired old fellows moaning about the money going to the EU rather than NHS.

Overheard conversation between 3 nurses, one white British, one Indian and one Filipino (all naturalised so eligible to vote). All undecided, but leaning Leave over the subject of immigration.

I think both these memes are hollow, but they are working.
  • Options

FPT:

Freggles said:

I am laughing now but really I don't want Leave to win. It will be a disaster for the North East.

Any opportunities to produce new Nissan models will be given to non-UK plants until a trade deal is ironed out - too much uncertainty. Cue redundancies in Sunderland.
    No more EU regional funding - the Government can't even bring itself to give us a decent railway system and dual carriageways, they won't match what the EU has invested.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The Labour anecdata is arguably more important than the polls. For Labour figures to say this about migration (migration!) must mean they are absolutely panicked.

REMAIN is losing. And the Labour dudes are right. Some kind of vow is needed. Cameron has to go UDI - say we need control on migration, in the next two years, or we leave.

Would it work? No idea. But if Dave really believes half the crap he's spouted about Apocalypse Impending, he needs to do it, or something similar

Disagree. No-one would believe Cameron now. He has sown the seeds of his own destruction and there is nothing he can do about it. His only hope is that the markets react very badly and that spooks enough people for Remain to scrape over the line. Failing that, it's curtains and over to Boris.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,339
    Leave surely has it in the bag now. This has all the look and feel of the same phenomenon that created Donald Trump and is equally unstoppable. I can't see anything else that Remain can possibly do (other than pray that they're fantastically and wholeheartedly wrong about the consequences of Brexit).
  • Options
    FPTLaddies are making a market on which of the following cities/areas returns the highest REMAIN percentage vote :

Edinburgh ....... 2/1
    Cambridge ....... 4/1
    Oxford ............ 4/1
    Islington ......... 6/1
    Hackney ........... 6/1

Aren't the precise geographical areas of at least some rather too vague to enable the percentages to be ascertained exactly?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

"To rub their noses in diversity". The wheel is round, my friend, the wheel is round.
  • Options
    @PlatoSaid Since the beginning of the month, after months of infighting, pratfalls and bizarre gaffes, Leave have fought a highly efficient campaign.

It is also nasty, openly xenophobic and entirely lacking in any kind of realistic vision about how the country will look after a Leave vote.

I can quite understand why you are so enthusiastically signed up to it.
  • Options
    Wintour? Hmmmm.... Labour blaming the Tories that Labour voters wouldn't, er, vote for the Tories. It requires some brass neck to pull that one off.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Angela Eagle so right last week saying it was a f**** diaster
  • Options
    I still have little faith in the polling companies...they have been so all over the place.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

How can there be a vow? Who would believe it? How can the rest of the EU agree it? Why wasn't it in the deal? Why would it make a difference? How many questions can I put in a sentence?

• Options
    radsatser said:

My bet of 18/1 for 40-45% for Remain is increasingly looking nailed on, my other at 40/1 for 35-40% is not looking so daft now.

Both of those bands are looking good still.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Meeks,

It's pointless being a sore loser until you actually lose. Then by all means ...

I still think you're favourites though.
  • Options

If Senior Labour Figures argue the migration deal is insufficient and go public, then there is no way that Cameron can win.

Labour voters are not going to vote for Cameron if their own side is telling them the deal is bad.

There is definitely an opportunity here for Labour. They can disassociate themselves from the defeat and let the Tories own it.

That's what I'd do in their position - when you're facing meltdown on the doorstep, step back and blame the other lot before it's too late.

Cameron's way too invested now to change tack - and if he did, few will believe him. As I said FTP - that only 21% of Undecideds trust BoE Carney is astonishing. Remain experts carry little weight - whatever their provenance.
  • Options
    Guardian "The figures will make grim reading for David Cameron, George Osborne and the Labour party."

Why grim reading for the Labour party? They end up with a new PM, an untested new Govt and massive splits in the Conservative party. The only Labour people upset are the bulk of their MPs but they were unhappy before the referendum and are out of touch with members (on Corbyn) and out of touch with a large part of Labour's voters (about the referendum).
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, perhaps throwing insults at Leave is why Remain aren't winning.

Mr. Dawning, the lead is small, margin of error is a few points and we know polls can be wildly wrong.

Mr. Observer, agree on Cameron. After his stunning election victory, he seems to have been incredibly complacent and arrogant. More recently, he's ruined his own credibility.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    SeanT said:

I agree. Its time to follow the body language of both sides of the debate extremely closely over the next 10 days. The polls are herding together which I really don't like......and where you don't know the best answer is to show it very tight so that in the event of either side winning there is as little egg on your face as possible - that's what it feels like to me right now.
  • Options

Wintour? Hmmmm.... Labour blaming the Tories that Labour voters wouldn't, er, vote for the Tories. It requires some brass neck to pull that one off.

Cameron sowed the seeds of his own destruction. You can't spend years talking in negative terms about the EU and immigration, and then expect the voting public to take you seriously when you change your mind completely and with no real explanation. History will judge him harshly, but perhaps not as harshly as the Leavers who take over from him.

• Options

@PlatoSaid Since the beginning of the month, after months of infighting, pratfalls and bizarre gaffes, Leave have fought a highly efficient campaign.

It is also nasty, openly xenophobic and entirely lacking in any kind of realistic vision about how the country will look after a Leave vote.

Because it is winning?

Remain is also nasty, openly relying on fear and entirely lacking in any kind of realistic vision about how the EU will look after a Remain vote.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Interesting. Had a feeling the ICM poll would be bad for Remain. It'll be interesting to see whether MORI and any other of the phone polls out this week show Leave leads. Looks like the phone polls are converging with the online polls. Although, that happened at the GE....and I recall PB getting into a panic over that ICM poll which showed Labour ahead....and look how that turned out.
  • Options

Cheering herself up?
  • Options
    @CD13 Everyone loses sometimes. I'm in the Remain camp less because I'm enthusiastic for Remain and more because of what Leave represents. If Remain lose, it won't be people like me who suffer.

I agree with you that Remain are still favourites for me. The damage done to the social fabric of this country by a Leave campaign based on xenophobic impossibilism will, however, be long lasting, whichever side wins.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So the conclusion Cameron drew from the Scottish indyref was to run exactly the same campaign that lost a 30 point lead down to 10
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Also Donald Trump is not 'unstoppable'. The Republican party base is not totally reflect of the American public as a whole.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,506
    SeanT said:

The problem is that even that would cause the apocalypse according to Cameron. Our governments have built an economy that is very dependent on an almost continuous source of cheap, well qualified and motivated new labour to grow. Governments of both stripes have lied about that reality and people have now woken up to what is being done to their country. And they don't like it.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

SeanT said:

"To rub their noses in diversity". The wheel is round, my friend, the wheel is round.
    :lol::trollface::lol:
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Yes please. There was also the devastating effect of last week's REMAIN campaign... on themselves.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Freggles said:

FPT:

Freggles said:

Any opportunities to produce new Nissan models will be given to non-UK plants until a trade deal is ironed out - too much uncertainty. Cue redundancies in Sunderland.
    No more EU regional funding - the Government can't even bring itself to give us a decent railway system and dual carriageways, they won't match what the EU has invested.
    I must have missed the A1 improvements being looked at.

A1 Morpeth to Ellingham – we’ll upgrade the existing single carriageway to dual carriageway between Morpeth and Felton and Alnwick and Ellingham creating a continuous, high-quality dual carriageway from Newcastle to Ellingham

•A1 north of Ellingham – we’ll enhance the performance and safety of this section of road, including overtaking opportunities, junction improvements and improved crossing facilities for pedestrians and cyclists
  • Options
    Kevin the teenager is having a right old meltdown on twitter at anybody who tries to have any sort of debate with him.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Disagree. No-one would believe Cameron now. He has sown the seeds of his own destruction and there is nothing he can do about it. His only hope is that the markets react very badly and that spooks enough people for Remain to scrape over the line. Failing that, it's curtains and over to Boris.

I doubt even a plummeting stock market would do any good. It would just be met with the familiar refrain 'Are these the same bankers who ... blah, blah, blah' Leave's momentum is both ferocious and unstoppable. All the old certainties are being left smashed to splinters in its wake.
  • Options
    Surely the only play Cameron has left is to ask Boris to debate him?
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yes, possibly right.

OTOH it would work coming from the EU itself, maybe?

Dunno.

But surely REMAIN has to try something, and something special, if they REALLY believe that OUT means the End of the Known World. If they just sit back and calmly await defeat, it means that they were wholly and knowingly exaggerating all along, AKA lying.

I think Juncker has been asked to keep quiet about the UK referendum with the caveat that he may be allowed to speak during the last week of the campaign if things are looking bad for Remain.

Something tells me we might be hearing from him very soon.
  • Options

@CD13 Everyone loses sometimes. I'm in the Remain camp less because I'm enthusiastic for Remain and more because of what Leave represents. If Remain lose, it won't be people like me who suffer.
    I agree with you that Remain are still favourites for me. The damage done to the social fabric of this country by a Leave campaign based on xenophobic impossibilism will, however, be long lasting, whichever side wins.

Vapid Bilge?
  • Options

Guardian "The figures will make grim reading for David Cameron, George Osborne and the Labour party."

Why grim reading for the Labour party? They end up with a new PM, an untested new Govt and massive splits in the Conservative party. The only Labour people upset are the bulk of their MPs but they were unhappy before the referendum and are out of touch with members (on Corbyn) and out of touch with a large part of Labour's voters (about the referendum).

Boris negotiating Brexit is a real chance for Labour. But one that they will undoubtedly mess up.

EEA/EFTA will piss off any number of immigration-focused Leavers.

A deal in which significant curbs on immigration are the centrepiece will alienate large parts of business and the City.

Boris is about to find out what the SNP did not have to find out in 2014 - you can't promise unicorns and not deliver them without upsetting an awful lot of people.

• Options
    I wonder to what extent the result of the vote might have been different had Cameron fronted with the British public by admitting that despite his best endeavours (and let's assume he'd actually tried a little harder and for a little longer), he'd been unable to extract any meaningful concessions from our EU partners. But nevertheless, the nation now needed to decide once and for all.
    We'll never know of course, but it was certainly a major negative for me that he tried to take us for fools.
  • Options
    Yes, the irish have taken the lead - a great day.
  • Options

Because it is winning?

Remain is also nasty, openly relying on fear and entirely lacking in any kind of realistic vision about how the EU will look after a Remain vote.
    Mr 'Vapid Bilge' Meeks is the AA Gill of PB.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Leave ends the division in the Tory party. If we vote Leave then it is all over, game over. Ken Clarke, Michael Hesseltine and John Major can retire and dream what may have once been but the nation will Leave and the Tories will 100% unite behind that.

The Tory party will be about as divided after a Leave vote as the SNP would be after a Scottish Yes vote.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

SeanT said:

Bless my soul, Mr. Observer, you really are in a very pessimistic place today. That said I agree with your views regarding Cameron's credibility, very few people will believe a word he says a and not many will even listen to him. As a PM he is dead in the water regardless of the result of the referendum.

As to the markets riding to the rescue. Forget it. Those who have decided to go will not be swayed by the City and foreign investors holding a gun to their collective head. Not that there is any sign of panic in the markets anyway.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, if Cameron were the sort of man who would be that honest he would have acquired a better deal.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Permanent opt-out on freedom of movement will be on the table within 7 days.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Leave's to lose now. It's the markets or bust for Remain. They have fought an abysmal campaign, though Leave's has been little better. The turning point - as I said a the time - was the release of the immigration stats a couple of weeks back. Cameron hoisted by his own petard (or whatever the phrase is). In retrospect he has spent the last eight years or so sowing the ground for this defeat and his consignment to history. Over to Boris.

On the markets, the £ has barely moved today. Just bounced around.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=GBPUSD=X+Interactive#{"range":"1d","allowChartStacking":true}

I imagine they have been waiting - well, we know they have. Tonight the in-house number crunchers, economists and other analysts will be hard at work doing the maths and making the projections. At 6.00 am tomorrow they will be giving their advice in pre-opening meetings and conference calls. Then we will see. If nothing happens, it's curtains for Remain and Dave's premiership.

• Options

I wonder to what extent the result of the vote might have been different had Cameron fronted with the British public by admitting that despite his best endeavours (and let's assume he'd actually tried a little harder and for a little longer), he'd been unable to extract any meaningful concessions from our EU partners. But nevertheless, the nation now needed to decide once and for all.
    We'll never know of course, but it was certainly a major negative for me that he tried to take us for fools.

Agree entirely PfP.

I remember being at a trade fair in Cambridge, returning after having a lovely dinner at 22 where I'd remarked to all present that some meaningful concessions would surely be made, only to find a load of PR codswallop. At that moment I came out for Leave. After more than a decade of being a huge Cameron cheerleader.

This time, Mr Cameron, the PR didn't wash.
  • Options

I agree. And his credibility and judgement should have been Remain's biggest asset.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070

Southam, whilst I agree on Cameron, I have to say it was slightly strange to hear Brown going on about all the benefits of EU membership given his reputation for surliness and disinterest at EU meetings. And what of Blair? He started off with all the heart of Europe guff but then lost interest when he found the White House far more to his tastes. Almost no UK politician has bothered trying to sell the EU for a generation and it shows.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yes, possibly right.

OTOH it would work coming from the EU itself, maybe?

Dunno.

But surely REMAIN has to try something, and something special, if they REALLY believe that OUT means the End of the Known World. If they just sit back and calmly await defeat, it means that they were wholly and knowingly exaggerating all along, AKA lying.

I think Juncker has been asked to keep quiet about the UK referendum with the caveat that he may be allowed to speak during the last week of the campaign if things are looking bad for Remain.

Something tells me we might be hearing from him very soon.
    Should be worth another 5% swing.

"Fuck off, Juncker, we're voting Leave"

There has been a strange creaking sound these past weeks, as thousands of Eurocrats walk around on eggshells. They are at breaking point.

If Remain squeak this and then there's a barrage of saved-up announcements that could have shown Brussels in its true light, there'll be hell to pay.... Leave, dishonest? You ain't seen nothing till you've seen Remain.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

The problem is that even that would cause the apocalypse according to Cameron. Our governments have built an economy that is very dependent on an almost continuous source of cheap, well qualified and motivated new labour to grow. Governments of both stripes have lied about that reality and people have now woken up to what is being done to their country. And they don't like it.
    And you are happy for the country to go cold turkey over it by voting out? That is even stranger.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Permanent opt-out on freedom of movement will be on the table within 7 days.
    I've been thinking about this.

How hard would it be to bodge the freedom of movement to 'continental EU' - excluding islands?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Yes please. There was also the devastating effect of last week's REMAIN campaign... on themselves.
    Attempting to scare OAPS with WW3 and loss of bus passes remains the highlight of this campaign for me.

Tusk using Izzard's line that only the EU will protect us from losing our humanity, descent into barbarism and threatening Western civilisation matches the idiocy.

Remain are way beyond hyperbole - inciting Nazis looks a bit tame now.
  • Options

Leave ends the division in the Tory party. If we vote Leave then it is all over, game over. Ken Clarke, Michael Hesseltine and John Major can retire and dream what may have once been but the nation will Leave and the Tories will 100% unite behind that.

The Tory party will be about as divided after a Leave vote as the SNP would be after a Scottish Yes vote.
    Oh I hope they would be less divided than that.
  • Options

This.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Anecdata:

Overheard conversation in waiting room at work. Several retired old fellows moaning about the money going to the EU rather than NHS.

Overheard conversation between 3 nurses, one white British, one Indian and one Filipino (all naturalised so eligible to vote). All undecided, but leaning Leave over the subject of immigration.

Why do you think remain are so incensed by the £350m figure?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    Before anyone gets too excited in Quebec in 1995 all the final polls had Yes narrowly ahead but No won 51% to 49% after don't knows swung for the status quo at the last minute but certainly the momentum with Leave
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

Cameron sowed the seeds of his own destruction. You can't spend years talking in negative terms about the EU and immigration, and then expect the voting public to take you seriously when you change your mind completely and with no real explanation. History will judge him harshly, but perhaps not as harshly as the Leavers who take over from him.

And Jeremy Corbyn has been a huge fan of the EU project for years, oh wait...

Twitter
    Kenny Farquharson ‏@KennyFarq 8h8 hours ago
    SNP and Labour leaderships will be equally culpable if there's a Brexit vote in the 23rd.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    SNP and Labour leaderships will be equally culpable if there's a Brexit vote in the 23rd.
    Are they really bothered? This is to their advantage.
  • Options

Kevin the teenager is having a right old meltdown on twitter at anybody who tries to have any sort of debate with him.

He's a medical miracle - 31yrs old and still experiencing puberty.
  • Options

Vapid Bilge?
    LEAVE is only popular with partakers of the sweaty goblet of Vapid Bilge.
  • Options

SeanT said:

On the markets, the £ has barely moved today. Just bounced around.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=GBPUSD=X+Interactive#{"range":"1d","allowChartStacking":true}

I imagine they have been waiting - well, we know they have. Tonight the in-house number crunchers, economists and other analysts will be hard at work doing the maths and making the projections. At 6.00 am tomorrow they will be giving their advice in pre-opening meetings and conference calls. Then we will see. If nothing happens, it's curtains for Remain and Dave's premiership.

The FTSE is down today, but driven by international concerns in the main. The biggest drops over the last year or so are the big miners, oil companies and banks like Standered Chartered which are emerging market focussed. Brexit matters little to them as their earnings are from outside the UK and EU and in US $.

I think it may drift down a bit more, and the FTSE 250 may do too being more UK centered. I don't forecast a meltdown though.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

And you are happy for the country to go cold turkey over it by voting out? That is even stranger.
    We won't go cold turkey. Immigration won't stop. It may not even slow down much but the government of the day will own the problem and have to account for the consequences of their actions. And that is a good thing.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter

Yep, Corbyn will have a great deal of responsibility too; not that he will give a flying fig. Don't think I'd blame the SNP, though. Scotland looks sure to vote Remain. The fact is that this is Cameron's campaign, just as it was his decision to buy off his right wing with the referendum promise in the first place. He spent eight years talking down the EU and making negative noises about immigration solely, it turns out, for electoral advantage. He has inflicted this defeat on himself and will be judged accordingly.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    I see the fieldwork was from the 10th to today - I'd like to see where the polls are with a fieldwork period all post-Orlando and Marseille.

And there are so many potential Black swan events over the next 10 days - expulsion from Euro 2016, the Trump visit, anything like Orlando within the EU area (I hope not), more migrants trying to cross the Channel illegally etc.

As for GBPUSD, there is a heck of a lot of support starting at the 1.3503 February 2009 low, monthly bearish reversal at 1.3750 area, prior February 25th low this year at 1.3883 and 1.4055 low in early April...........so short of Brexit being confirmed in the exit poll, I don't see GBP facing an outright collapse in the next 10 days.
  • Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    edited June 2016

Leave seem to have upped their game recently, although from a fairly pathetic baseline. The months of infighting (still not really settled?!) about which was the real leave campaign the most obvious.

Despite being very much in favour of leaving the EU there is a lot that I dislike/disagree with in the leave campaign, though not to Wollaston levels though.

I cannot understand though how you can complain about leave campaign being nasty or unrealistic. At least there is some semblance of a positive idea about the future, even if several competing ones, rather than an unrelenting litany of threats and misery from the remain campaign with no mention at all of how the EU might evolve once we've listened to our betters and voted in.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited June 2016

No xenophobia here my friend. My little boy is in a class with a Lithuanian girl, a Bangladeshi girl, a boy whose father is African and a Pole. They are all lovely people and I live in deepest darkest Wales.

It's not where they are from (I'd swap those guys for some of the indigenous any day of the week), it's the driving down of working class wages and the fact that much of their wages aren't being spent here. The parents of the Lithuanian girl openly say they are sending their money back home to pay for a lovely home and a better life there. They work round the clock, probably for pittance on zero hour contracts... and fair play to them. But I can't see how what they do is good for our economy or for the working classes (and there are lots and lots of us).

We aren't all gilded lilies who live in leafy parts of Shire England. Life really is tough for many of us.

Even though I think the Remain camp will win, I hope the establishment are shocked into realising how tough it is for us over this side of the fence and stop just labelling us as xenophobic, small-minded, uneducated, unsophisticated neanderthals. Unlimited EU immigration has not made our lives easier, better or wealthier. This EU Referendum has given us a chance to make our feelings clear on that.

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Will Cameron's fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists get their revenge, a dish best eaten cold?

The betting jaws are closing in.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016

I agree less divided but cutting out the Osborne and Cameroons will take time. They blight the party at all the top levels. The stables will need to be cleaned.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

Sorry Sean, did I miss something? What is this Labour anecdote?
  • Options
    radsatser said:

@ Gallowgate

" Brexit will be a disaster for the North East."

No it won't!

Presumably you consider the end of alluminium smelting in the UK and the demolition of the last smelter at Alnmouth at the weekend, together with the closure of the blast furnace at Redcar, and the current threat to steel processing at Hartlepool, Lackenby and Skinningrove all because of the EU Carbon Floor taxation regimes making those plants uneconomical, is what exactly.;.. A SUCCESS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7lF_B31Ghw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcan_Lynemouth_Aluminium_Smelter

Brexit could not be any worse, than the destruction the EU has imposed on our heavy industry going all the way back to the forced end of our civil shipbuilding, when the EU refused to allow the re-opening of a shipyard on the Wear at Sunderland, whilst supporting expansion on the continent.

I real;cannot believe you are from the North East with your view.

It was this Tory Government who has welcomed the dumping of Chinese steel with open arms. That tells me they would not have used tariffs given the chance to protect our industries. Leaving the EU will not make them any more bothered about happens in areas that vote red.
  • Options
    radsatser said:

@ Gallowgate

No it won't!

Presumably you consider the end of alluminium smelting in the UK and the demolition of the last smelter at Alnmouth at the weekend, together with the closure of the blast furnace at Redcar, and the current threat to steel processing at Hartlepool, Lackenby and Skinningrove all because of the EU Carbon Floor taxation regimes making those plants uneconomical, is what exactly.;.. A SUCCESS.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7lF_B31Ghw

Brexit could not be any worse, than the destruction the EU has imposed on our heavy industry going all the way back to the forced end of our civil shipbuilding, when the EU refused to allow the re-opening of a shipyard on the Wear at Sunderland, whilst supporting expansion on the continent.

Quite.
  • Options
    Just seen a very nuanced Leave.eu ad which suggests nothing drastic will happen the day after a successful leave vote.

This is very, very, very sensible at this point in the campaign.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Anecdata:

Why do you think remain are so incensed by the £350m figure?
    It is a blatent lie and sounds like a lot of money. It is a meme (with immigration) that strikes a chord.

• Options
    Freggles said:

radsatser said:

@ Gallowgate

No it won't!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7lF_B31Ghw

It was this Tory Government who has welcomed the dumping of Chinese steel with open arms. That tells me they would not have used tariffs given the chance to protect our industries. Leaving the EU will not make them any more bothered about happens in areas that vote red.
    They will not have the excuse of the EU.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

We won't go cold turkey. Immigration won't stop. It may not even slow down much but the government of the day will own the problem and have to account for the consequences of their actions. And that is a good thing.
    And we will find that we have increased our administrative burden immensely by all of a sudden being outside our largest trading bloc and having engendered no small amount of ill-feeling.

Which in old money equals value destruction. A huge opportunity cost borne not by you, who sees in elegant theoretical terms how interesting a project a UK out of the EU might be, but by those least able to afford it.

I see our exiting the EU in exactly the same terms as I do a Labour government. It will do its thing and life will go on, but a huge amount of value will be destroyed, and opportunity cost incurred for the sake of a flawed ideological premise.
  • Options

Yes, Leave's campaign has been awesome, but it's had to step into some dark places to achieve its ends. But one thing we can all agree on: Boris made possibly the greatest career decision in history.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Southam, whilst I agree on Cameron, I have to say it was slightly strange to hear Brown going on about all the benefits of EU membership given his reputation for surliness and disinterest at EU meetings. And what of Blair? He started off with all the heart of Europe guff but then lost interest when he found the White House far more to his tastes. Almost no UK politician has bothered trying to sell the EU for a generation and it shows.

Of course. But Cameron made the referendum call having actively talked down the EU and been entirely negative about immigration. He then campaigned to stay in on the basis that the EU was (is) vital to the UK's interests. He revealed himself to be a complete con artist. No wonder he has lost so much trust.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Are they really bothered? This is to their advantage.
    You think that the PLP are going to be happy about the UK leaving the EU, or their own very lacklustre Remain campaign under Corbyn's stewardship?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Alistair said:

So the conclusion Cameron drew from the Scottish indyref was to run exactly the same campaign that lost a 30 point lead down to 10

There isn't a positive argument to be made in favour of the EU that the public will stomach. It has to be presented as the least worst option which means Leave has to be presented as such a huge risk as to make the EU look palatable. With the anti-politics feeling among so many, I'm not certain that an establishment campaign is going to work.
This discussion has been closed.