Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Voters would rather see their side win the referendum than

Comments

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    TOPPING said:

fpt

What you need to understand is that in the teeny little PB bubble the "intelligentsia" have decided that despite the main motive of Leavers being to control immigration, and despite the Leave leaders stating they want to leave the Single Market, actually, apropos of nothing, what is best for the country is to immediately rejoin the EEA and apply the emergency brake (a temporary measure to be used as in exceptional circumstances), which will mean immigration just about unchanged from the status quo ante.

It is pure PB Leavers' fantasy.

this is a topic that I will be coming back to pop pickers.

Meanwhile, on topic - £25 gets you a decent every day 2005 claret. Why would you want to muck around with Italian or Californian wines?

The Californian would be a lot cheaper if we didn't have to pay import duties.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,346
    edited June 2016

The ban is back. Trump is bringing back the ban Muslims from the USA policy.

Please vote Remain, so my holiday to America in two weeks' time isn't postponed.

Brexit means I might never go to America ever again.

What's Brexit got to do with you going to the US?
    I have a holiday booked for Florida and Canada booked starting June 26th.

My employers have decided, as Brexit impacts the firm significantly, key staff will need to man the barricades, so no holidays to be honoured.

I am one of they key employees.

Is one of the reasons I have to go to Paris in the morning.

Sometimes it is a curse to be a French speaker.

Brexit means I have to spend more time in France.
    Given you work on PB full-time, how do you manage to have (another) job + go canvassing for Remain + go on holiday?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@Coral: 6 out 7 winning favourites so far at #EURO2016.

England the only non-winning favourite.

Weren't the commentators saying that our successful world cup/euro tournaments started with draws. Small number statistics, obviously...
    That small number is one. 1966 is the only time we've lifted a trophy.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,575
    Trump will give a major speech on terrorism, immigration and national security tomorrow.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j-trump-statement-regarding-tragic-terrorist-attacks

We need to protect all Americans, of all backgrounds and all beliefs, from Radical Islamic Terrorism - which has no place in an open and tolerant society. Radical Islam advocates hate for women, gays, Jews, Christians and all Americans. I am going to be a President for all Americans, and I am going to protect and defend all Americans. We are going to make America safe again and great again for everyone.

- Donald J. Trump
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,130

John_M said:

Freggles said:

That story is from October and I think the Left are now in power.

Don't be that guy.
    Yes, but the fact is that the country was put under pressure.

We also know what Juncker has said about not allowing governments he considers not sufficiently on board to the European project to keep their voting rights.
    Iff we want to go down the tinfoil route check out Juncker's comments on the Austrian elections. He's like fucking Goldilocks.

An elected government can't be too Left, or too Right, it's got to be just so. I commend him on keeping his mouth shut, while simultaneously hoping he has a drop too many and lets the UK proles have both barrels.
    I have to say he stuns me. Is he a secret Eurosceptic on a massive wind up? Apparently in private he is on at least cordial terms with Farage. As far as I am aware Farage has not described Luxembourg as a non country nor questioned whether Juncker is a low grade bank clerk.
    Junker does seem eminently affable. Not surprising he gets on well with Farage, despite their differing views.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

I'd certainly agree that Kings Cross is much improved these days over what it was in the 1980s and 1990s but you can probably say the same about every mainline railway station and its environs in the country.
    I was down for a meeting not long ago and the shiny Starbucks at KC still had a UV light in the bathroom, to stop people looking for a vein and injecting in there. Which I thought was a bit retro.
    Doesn't it work any longer?
    It was working fine. I couldn't see a sodding thing when I was trying to wash my hands.
    :smiley: I was wondering why it should be retro. (I live out in the sticks)
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Freggles said:

It is amazing how the referendum has realigned PB debate, and debate generally, away from Left/Right to Remain/Leave.
    I wonder how it will change after the referendum; will people still refer to others as Tory Leavers, or BOOers or Eurosceptics? How impactful will a Remain victory on politics?

If Remain wins, I'm going to start to call Leavers, Losing Leavers, the noisy minority of the UK. The UK Cybernats.

I shall show no mercy.
    And if leave wins? Will you accept being mocked in a similar way?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,751

Please vote Remain, so my holiday to America in two weeks' time isn't postponed.

My employers have decided, as Brexit impacts the firm significantly, key staff will need to man the barricades, so no holidays to be honoured.

Were you all on duty for the Millennium bug as well?
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Weren't the commentators saying that our successful world cup/euro tournaments started with draws. Small number statistics, obviously...
    I think it extended to ones where we did "well".
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,251
    Charles said:

(I didn't have a claret, so a Merlot had to suffice)

Isn't claret just a Britishism for red Bordeaux so it could just as well be Merlot based?
    Useless gobbet of the night:

It was because Richard, Earl of Clare was the first to import Bordeaux in sizeable amounts
    I thought it was from the word clairet.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    RobD said:

John_M said:

Freggles said:

Don't be that guy.

We also know what Juncker has said about not allowing governments he considers not sufficiently on board to the European project to keep their voting rights.
    Iff we want to go down the tinfoil route check out Juncker's comments on the Austrian elections. He's like fucking Goldilocks.

An elected government can't be too Left, or too Right, it's got to be just so. I commend him on keeping his mouth shut, while simultaneously hoping he has a drop too many and lets the UK proles have both barrels.
    I have to say he stuns me. Is he a secret Eurosceptic on a massive wind up? Apparently in private he is on at least cordial terms with Farage. As far as I am aware Farage has not described Luxembourg as a non country nor questioned whether Juncker is a low grade bank clerk.
    Junker does seem eminently affable. Not surprising he gets on well with Farage, despite their differing views.
    Chablis?
  • Options

It will be all right in July. You can watch Le Tour
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,066
    MikeL said:

Given you work on PB full-time, how do you manage to have (another) job + go canvassing for Remain + go on holiday?
    I'm very good at multi-tasking.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,836

Why do you Leavers believe any old bollocks?
    You can put that one the other way around. Why do they hate the EU so much? Because they believe any old bollocks.
    Not ANY bollocks - we don't suspend disbelief enough to take your posts seriously.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

Freggles said:

Don't be that guy.

Chablis?
    Chablis and a fag? The ultimate fusion of cultures.
  • Options

Freggles said:

It is amazing how the referendum has realigned PB debate, and debate generally, away from Left/Right to Remain/Leave.
    I wonder how it will change after the referendum; will people still refer to others as Tory Leavers, or BOOers or Eurosceptics? How impactful will a Remain victory on politics?

If Remain wins, I'm going to start to call Leavers, Losing Leavers, the noisy minority of the UK. The UK Cybernats.

I shall show no mercy.
    I'm used to being mocked.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,702
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

What you need to understand is that in the teeny little PB bubble the "intelligentsia" have decided that despite the main motive of Leavers being to control immigration, and despite the Leave leaders stating they want to leave the Single Market, actually, apropos of nothing, what is best for the country is to immediately rejoin the EEA and apply the emergency brake (a temporary measure to be used as in exceptional circumstances), which will mean immigration just about unchanged from the status quo ante.

Meanwhile, on topic - £25 gets you a decent every day 2005 claret. Why would you want to muck around with Italian or Californian wines?

Because great Italian wines, Brunello, Barolo, Amarone, etc, are so much fucking better than insipid claret.
    You sound like a student who has just found a bottle of Jacob's Creek in the local offie.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    chestnut said:

Freggles said:

If Remain win narrowly then the Tories will be unable to govern, and any election is likely to replicate the Scottish outcome.

The momentum has been with the Kippers/Sceptics since 2014.

Centrist mush is being rejected repeatedly.

tbh whoever wins, we'll all muddle along. One of the nicest things about the referendum is getting to reach out to people on the other side of the traditional political divide.

Why, I even passed the time of day with a Lib Dem this very morn. Round here, that's like coming home and announcing that you've had a ride on a White Rhino.

More seriously, there's probably a place for a euro-sceptic centrist party that isn't UKIP. I just don't see how the fractures that would create it would come about.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nah, I was still at university in 1999
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I think a fair nmber of England flops have also started with a draw.

My bet on Wales topping the group is looking good ;-)
  • Options

It will be all right in July. You can watch Le Tour
    Well I'm looking forward to the new Star Trek movie in July
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,446
    FPT:
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

We need gas from Norway, but the rest ?

What do Europe have that no one else does?

I would consider Port and Brandy, and even more Rioja, as strategic necessities.
    Brandy has a bit of a metallic taste to me. Scotch is the far superior after dinner drink. Port I can take or leave, but I'm with you on Rioja. Worst comes to worst, we'd have to take that 4% rise on the chin.

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

We need gas from Norway, but the rest ?

What do Europe have that no one else does?

A very good question and aside from brands which could, quite easily, be substituted by home produced products or manafactures from elsewhere I am struggling. There must be more but there are only two things I can think of Port and Brandy. Neither of which I would class as strategic necessities but I cannot think of a replacement product that is produced outside of the EU.

I would consider Port and Brandy, and even more Rioja, as strategic necessities.
    Brandy has a bit of a metallic taste to me. Scotch is the far superior after dinner drink. Port I can take or leave, but I'm with you on Rioja. Worst comes to worst, we'd have to take that 4% rise on the chin.
    Rioja is indeed important but if there was a risk that the French would stop selling us Chablis I would have to reconsider. And some of their cheeses come to that.

I really don't get why Remain focus on completely irrelevant things like London house prices and interest rates when they can claim a threat to our true essentials.
    May I respectfully suggest that you experiment a bit more, Mr. L. For example what ever class of French cheese you desire there is likely now to be a UK cheese, that is equal or probably better and which is probably cheaper or at least better value for money.

The same applies to wines. Its is years and years since I have bought a French wine (except whilst in France where it is difficult to buy anything else). Far better value is to be had from the New World, Australia/NZ and, in certain categories, the UK.
    French wines are absurdly overpriced, especially in Burgundy and Bordeaux. Go south down the Rhone Valley and then into the Languedoc and you can get some bargains. But yes, essentially right.

Their cheeses are still great but so is a new English cheese like Claxstone Blue.

http://pursuitist.com/claxstone-smooth-blue-named-the-worlds-best-cheese/

Their ham is nice but not a patch on Spanish Jamon Iberica de Bellota.

So far I had the best meal of the year (having travelled all round the world, including a Michelin star press trip to Lyon) in Idle Rocks Hotel, Cornwall, the next best was Barrafina in London then the Uma Paro in Bhutan (the King of Bhutan's favourite restaurant).

I wouldn't put any of the French restaurants in my top 20. And a couple were very famous.
    Guy Savoy is a world top ten restaurant, Pierre Gangiere top twenty. But, you are right: France has gone from dominating the world food leagues, to being a marginal player. And all in a generation.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    With 10 days to go I now give my penultimate forecast for the EU referendum, and for the first time Lead is ahead; just.

Leave 50.33%.
    Remain 49.67%.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited June 2016
    There is no doubt, I'd rather have my team win the Euros. Based on today's performance, which is the worst I've seen in some time, we won't get a point. Negative tactics beyond belief.

I'm heading to the next game against Ukraine. I'd be surprised if the tactics and the play will be so crap twice in a row. No more s**t, time to go play.

Off topic, there is still no official claim of responsibility from IS regarding the killings in Orlando. Whilst comments to the IS press agency Aamaq are sometimes as good as confirmation, its best to wait and see if anything further is forthcoming.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,166

You can put that one the other way around. Why do they hate the EU so much? Because they believe any old bollocks.
    Not ANY bollocks - we don't suspend disbelief enough to take your posts seriously.
    Admit it, at the time you were taken in by the #PortugalCoup hoax as well, weren't you?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

I'd certainly agree that Kings Cross is much improved these days over what it was in the 1980s and 1990s but you can probably say the same about every mainline railway station and its environs in the country.
    I was down for a meeting not long ago and the shiny Starbucks at KC still had a UV light in the bathroom, to stop people looking for a vein and injecting in there. Which I thought was a bit retro.
    It was working fine. I couldn't see a sodding thing when I was trying to wash my hands.
    I'd expect all the junkies and ladies of negotiable virtue have been ethnically cleansed from KC's environs. Used to be mindpopping.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

fpt

You choose to totally ignore the fact that our generous benefits system, based on universal entitlements, is a large part of the attraction that the UK holds for unskilled economic migrants. Cutting off such benefits would (whilst not going as far as many would like) no doubt do a great deal to cool the rate of inward unskilled migration. This omission is glaring.

But our democratically-elected government decided not to impose any restrictions back then.

While we have chosen now to impose some modest restrictions.

What is it with you Cry Freedom guys that you dislike our democracy so much?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

I think it's just because it was more common have UV lighting in toilets in the 90s.
  • Options
    The Chief Exec of Opinium is furious at The Express for their reporting of that poll
  • Options

Charles said:

(I didn't have a claret, so a Merlot had to suffice)

Isn't claret just a Britishism for red Bordeaux so it could just as well be Merlot based?
    Useless gobbet of the night:

It was because Richard, Earl of Clare was the first to import Bordeaux in sizeable amounts
    I thought it was from the word clairet.
    It was.
  • Options

The Chief Exec of Opinium is furious at The Express for their reporting of that poll

Remind us what they said?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

With 10 days to go I now give my penultimate forecast for the EU referendum, and for the first time Lead is ahead; just.

Leave 50.33%.
    Remain 49.67%.

It would have been interesting to see where JackW's ARSE was at by now. I hope he is well.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @RCS1000 that piece will be going up as the morning thread
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    MikeK said:

Leave 50.33%.
    Remain 49.67%.

Your forecasts have been remarkably... restrained compared to your GE predictions :D
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

1996 started with a draw (against Switzerland IIRC). 1990 might have, too.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,792

Freggles said:

I shall show no mercy.
    Red Shoes

*titters*
  • Options
    RobD said:

Essentially 11 out of 10 people were voting Leave. There were a few methodological errors that crept in somewhere. Plus it's the Express ofc.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,308
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

1) It's from last year

2) The left are in power now
    The EU is the opposite of Emperor Palpatine... they hate democracy (although I don't know their views on the republican form of government). :p
    TSE: What have I done???

Darth Gideon (aka Chancellor Osborne): You are fulfilling your destiny, TSE. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Daft Side of the Force. There's no turning back now.

TSE: I will do whatever you ask. Just help me save Theresa's political career. I can't live without her. If she resigns, I don't know what I will do.

Darth Gideon: To cheat political osbcurity is a power only one has achieved through centuries of the study of the Force. But if we work together, I know we can discover the secret to eternal AV Threads!

TSE: I pledge myself to your teachings. To the ways of the REMAIN Campaign.

Darth Gideon: Good. Good! The Force is strong with you, TSE. A powerful REMAINER you will become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth... Eagles.

TSE: Thank you... my Master.

Darth Gideon: Lord Eagles... rise.
    Palpatine is Corbyn watching Boris (Luke) try to kill Cameron (Vader) except there wont be a happy ending for any of them.
    TSE - Vote Remain and you will wake up next to Jar Jar Binks for the rest of your days.
  • Options

Spiral of Silence Adjustments at Dawn?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Nah, I was still at university in 1999
    I keep forgetting how young you are. No wonder you don't get what the EU has become.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

The commentator on the match said we (England) have never won the 1st match.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Returning to your views on how much more impressive London is now than in your student days.

The old, declining London had numerous Conservative voting areas in middle suburbia which it doesn't do now - the Ealings, the Lewishams, the Ilfords, Hornsey, Streatham etc.

Are your views on how London has improved too much influenced by central London ?

30 or 40 years ago there was no question that New York was the world's premier city with London some way behind, now the two are at least level and London may even be slightly ahead. As for London suburbia there are still a few Tory suburbs about, Havering, Bromley, Bexley, Harrow etc
    I wonder how many Americans would agree that London is the equal of New York.

Or people from other countries.

I suspect there's an element of Londoners bigging up their city.

Tourists consistently prefer London.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3108839/London-named-world-s-popular-travel-destination-New-York-falls-five.html

London is seen as the world's most powerful city

http://www.cityam.com/226511/londons-just-been-named-the-worlds-most-powerful-city-for-the-fourth-time-in-a-row-thanks-to-its-strong-economy

London is the world's most connected city

http://www.webintravel.com/rome2rio-global-connectivity-ranking/

London most influential city

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/11040489/London-the-most-influential-city-in-the-world-according-to-Forbes.html

These are all very nebulous, of course, but they do reveal a trend
    Which brings me back to my original point.

If London is so much better than it was why is it so much worse for the Conservatives.

Isn't it now a city of extremes - great if you're really rich and great if you're an immigrant from some shithole.

But for the average person with the average family who wants an average job and an average life with an average house its almost unliveable.

Its egg-timer shaped rather than egg shaped.

Its difficult now to imagine all those sitcoms of ordinary families which were once set in London now existing.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not our official EUref poll which we run exclusively for The Observer. Very poor reporting. Misleading. Very bad.

The Bruges poll, while fieldwork conducted by us, it's not our official EUref poll (has no political/social attitude weights) Not endorsed.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Freggles said:

I shall show no mercy.
    Fair point well made. Now go away or I will taunt you a second time... ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,553
    RobD said:

They added up support for various free trade options and totalled it as the Leave vote
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2016

Given that Brexit, even IF it is voted for, is likely to take at least 4 years to take place, even by the like's of Gove's own admission, and possibly a good deal longer (personally I'm convinced that we'll never leave the EU, no matter how strong is LEAVE's support on 23 June) - don't you think your employers are perhaps being just a little hasty?
    No, I'll rephrase that - don't you think they are being ridiculously and utterly foolishly hasty in ordering their staff to cancel holidays, etc., years and years ahead of a possible but probably unlikely event? Talk about making a drama out of a totally non-existent crisis!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I can't see that as a surprise given that the Euros come once every 4 years and EU referendums don't.

The last European referendum was 41 years ago, the last England tournament victory was 50 years ago. Referendums happen more often than England wins.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

They added up support for various free trade options and totalled it as the Leave vote
    Ah, the technique commonly used by lefties to say a Tory government is not legitimate.... ;)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

You choose to totally ignore the fact that our generous benefits system, based on universal entitlements, is a large part of the attraction that the UK holds for unskilled economic migrants. Cutting off such benefits would (whilst not going as far as many would like) no doubt do a great deal to cool the rate of inward unskilled migration. This omission is glaring.

But our democratically-elected government decided not to impose any restrictions back then.

While we have chosen now to impose some modest restrictions.

What is it with you Cry Freedom guys that you dislike our democracy so much?
    Back when? What are you talking about?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Latest Top Gear not going well I see

Are you going to be sick every time you go fast?' Top Gear's Chris Evans is ridiculed on Twitter after Sabine Schmitz's driving makes him vomit

Chris Evans found himself being criticised on Twitter once again, following the show.
    The 49-year-old had to get out of the car to be sick after being driven around by racing driver Sabine Schmitz.Having climbed into the lighting-fast Audi R8 V10 as a passenger - with ex-professional racing driver Schmitz behind the wheel - Evans came over all queasy.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3638009/Top-Gear-s-Chris-Evans-ridiculed-sick.html#ixzz4BP1p4bES
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

"For us, a toilet is a mundane, functional item. For you it is the focus of an entire culture!" -
    - Baron von Richtofen (Ade Edmondson), Blackadder Goes Forth.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    DavidL said:

I was running the response team in an Ops Room for Standard Chartered Bank that night.
  • Options

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/742104039291256832

Free* Pearl Earrings

*Not Free.
  • Options

Given that Brexit, even IF it is voted for, is likely to take at least 4 years to take place, even by the like's of Gove's own admission, and possibly a good deal longer (personally I'm convinced that we'll never leave the EU, no matter how strong is LEAVE's support on 23 June) - don't you think your employers are perhaps being just a little hasty?
    No, I'll rephrase that - don't you think they are being ridiculously and utterly foolishly hasty in ordering their staff to cancel holidays, etc., years and years ahead of a possible but probably unlikely event?
    Not really, we can't afford to take that risk.

Access to the single passport is essential for us.
  • Options

No, I'll rephrase that - don't you think they are being ridiculously and utterly foolishly hasty in ordering their staff to cancel holidays, etc., years and years ahead of a possible but probably unlikely event? Talk about making a drama out of a totally non-existent crisis!
    PFP, you must know that TSE is a political fantasist and is now learning directly from that arch liar, Cameron.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

I was running the response team in an Ops Room for Standard Chartered Bank that night.
    Please tell me you had one of those big table maps, with big sticks to move your IT teams around the country.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Ah, the technique commonly used by lefties to say a Tory government is not legitimate.... ;)
    Indeed but they could not in 2015
  • Options
    I'm surprised the Daily Mail uses the shorthand "1.5M", rather than "1,500,000".
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

Were you busy?

I remember going to conferences where we were assured that litigation arising from it was going to clog the courts for a decade. Didn't quite work out that way.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Of a Euros, yes. Though we have in the World Cup, most recently in 2006.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Gove comes across very well on the Ten. Measured, polite, articulate, refusing to get personal

Yes yes Marmite and all that. But nonetheless impressive. He is having a good war

On the other hand Gove can't help but bow down to the power of the PM. How he can say that Cameron is still a good PM beats me.
  • Options

No, I'll rephrase that - don't you think they are being ridiculously and utterly foolishly hasty in ordering their staff to cancel holidays, etc., years and years ahead of a possible but probably unlikely event?
    Not really, we can't afford to take that risk.

Access to the single passport is essential for us.
    Naught but REMAIN propaganda!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,178
    Moses_ said:

Latest Top Gear not going well I see

Are you going to be sick every time you go fast?' Top Gear's Chris Evans is ridiculed on Twitter after Sabine Schmitz's driving makes him vomit

Chris Evans found himself being criticised on Twitter once again, following the show.
    The 49-year-old had to get out of the car to be sick after being driven around by racing driver Sabine Schmitz.Having climbed into the lighting-fast Audi R8 V10 as a passenger - with ex-professional racing driver Schmitz behind the wheel - Evans came over all queasy.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3638009/Top-Gear-s-Chris-Evans-ridiculed-sick.html#ixzz4BP1p4bES

The new Top Gear seems to be a middle aged version of Wayne's World.
  • Options
    What the flying fuck is the Mail on about? This is the sort of nonsense that gets people tarred as parochial xenephobic racists. I should know.

Why would we not want Turks to visit this country? They're lovely, hospitable people. NATO members, origin country of our own patron saint etc.

I really think the EU did us all a disservice by postponing proposals post-referendum, it feeds a certain amount of paranoia.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,147

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Returning to your views on how much more impressive London is now than in your student days.

The old, declining London had numerous Conservative voting areas in middle suburbia which it doesn't do now - the Ealings, the Lewishams, the Ilfords, Hornsey, Streatham etc.

Are your views on how London has improved too much influenced by central London ?

30 or 40 years ago there was no question that New York was the world's premier city with London some way behind, now the two are at least level and London may even be slightly ahead. As for London suburbia there are still a few Tory suburbs about, Havering, Bromley, Bexley, Harrow etc

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3108839/London-named-world-s-popular-travel-destination-New-York-falls-five.html

http://www.cityam.com/226511/londons-just-been-named-the-worlds-most-powerful-city-for-the-fourth-time-in-a-row-thanks-to-its-strong-economy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/11040489/London-the-most-influential-city-in-the-world-according-to-Forbes.html

If London is so much better than it was why is it so much worse for the Conservatives.

Isn't it now a city of extremes - great if you're really rich and great if you're an immigrant from some shithole.

But for the average person with the average family who wants an average job and an average life with an average house its almost unliveable.

Its difficult now to imagine all those sitcoms of ordinary families which were once set in London now existing.
    Because the Conservatives still have not convinced ethnic minorities that their attitudes to race are more David Cameron than Boris Johnson. They would be doing as well as Thatcher in London if they could. It's not "sh*thole immigrants" who vote in Hornsey and Ealing or Hounslow or Brent (anyway we're often talking about young people from places like Italy and France) but Asian and Black Britons.

We could also wonder whether the ordinary job of 50 years ago, say bank clerk, would be a lot lower on the scale nowadays. Today there are fewer miners and more IT / HR / customer service professionals.
  • Options

I'm surprised the Daily Mail uses the shorthand "1.5M", rather than "1,500,000".
    The earrings offer at least suggests a sense of humour.
  • Options
    I cannot imagine Cameron is too pleased about today - his pensions speech gets knocked off by what happened in Orlando, which also raised the questions about Islamic extremism and whom you let into the country, which then ties in with the Sunday Times story over the leaked cables re Turkey, which the Mail, Sun etc will exploit over the next ten days.

Don't forget that Cameron is not the only one who will play dirty to win - Dacre has hated him for years and Brooks has not forgiven him for having her dirty laundry aired in public. They will have plenty of material re immigration all stored up to play in the next ten days.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

Please tell me you had one of those big table maps, with big sticks to move your IT teams around the country.
    "Mein Fuhrer, Geoff M...

Geoff M didn't have enough IT teams! The attack never took place!"
  • Options

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

New York City is hardly great for Republicans either is it, most people in either city rent with only the richest able to buy and both cities are socially liberal and filled with immigrants. Middle income earners in London tend to move out to Kent or Essex once they want to buy a house and start a family
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,950
    Michael Gove = new Top Gear

However good they are, they will never be loved.
  • Options

You can put that one the other way around. Why do the REMAINERS love the EU so much? Because they believe any old bollocks.
    :lol::lol:
    Seriously, there's no "both sides are doing it" parallel on this one. Anti-EU people are driven by a continuous stream of vastly exaggerated or entirely bogus claims. This isn't at all true of the pro-EU side; I know the government are making up a bunch of lies for the referendum, but they're aimed at the waverers, not the true believers. A better response from the anti-side would be that the pro-EU side are driven by a *worldview* that's mistaken, but there's nothing like it in terms of easily-debunked false factual claims.

Maybe the pro-EU side would have a firmer bedrock of lies to stand on if they had their own populist media to push them with. You'd think the Bilderberg group could afford to buy a few newspapers, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

It's true that winning the first game in any tournament usually spells bad news for England. We beat Germany at Euro 2000 IIRC in the first match then somehow contrived to fail to get out of the group. We beat Argentina in Japan then went on to wilt in the heat in the quarters. Conversely whenever we have reached the semis or beyond, we have always drawn our first match. At Italia 90 we drew with Ireland 1-1 and Euro 96 we drew with Switzerland by the same scoreline. We have never progressed beyond the quarter finals when we have won our first game. Maybe overconfidence is a factor? Or maybe it's just statistical coincidence?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

"For us, a toilet is a mundane, functional item. For you it is the focus of an entire culture!" -
    - Baron von Richtofen (Ade Edmondson), Blackadder Goes Forth.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Because great Italian wines, Brunello, Barolo, Amarone, etc, are so much fucking better than insipid claret.
    You sound like a student who has just found a bottle of Jacob's Creek in the local offie.
    I rather fancy I eat and drink very much better than you, old boy, mainly because I am PAID TO DO IT FOR A LIVING

There's a certain class of claret lover who loves claret because it's all they know. They tend to be over 70.
    I fancy I eat and drink very much better than you, mainly because I PAY OTHER PEOPLE WHO DO IT FOR A LIVING, RATHER THAN GETTING IT FOR FREE.

That said, I remember, vaguely, the thrill of getting freebies, whatever the quality.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    John_M said:

What the flying fuck is the Mail on about? This is the sort of nonsense that gets people tarred as parochial xenephobic racists. I should know.

Why would we not want Turks to visit this country? They're lovely, hospitable people. NATO members, origin country of our own patron saint etc.

I really think the EU did us all a disservice by postponing proposals post-referendum, it feeds a certain amount of paranoia.
    "German MPs of Turkish origin have been warned not to travel to Turkey and will get increased police protection after Germany's parliament declared the 1915 massacre of Armenians a "genocide", according to media reports.

Eleven MPs have been getting threats after the resolution, which has injected fresh tensions between Germany and Turkey, was passed in the beginning of June, the reports say.

Turkey condemns Germany over 'Armenia genocide' declaration
    Der Spiegel, a German newsmagazine, said the foreign ministry had warned the MPs against travelling to Turkey because their safety could not be guaranteed."

http://tinyurl.com/grwgaux
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124

You can put that one the other way around. Why do the REMAINERS love the EU so much? Because they believe any old bollocks.
    Seriously, there's no "both sides are doing it" parallel on this one. Anti-EU people are driven by a continuous stream of vastly exaggerated or entirely bogus claims. This isn't at all true of the pro-EU side; I know the government are making up a bunch of lies for the referendum, but they're aimed at the waverers, not the true believers. A better response from the anti-side would be that the pro-EU side are driven by a *worldview* that's mistaken, but there's nothing like it in terms of easily-debunked false factual claims.

Maybe the pro-EU side would have a firmer bedrock of lies to stand on if they had their own populist media to push them with. You'd think the Bilderberg group could afford to buy a few newspapers, wouldn't you?
    Nope. Utter bollocks again. The Remain side are far more guilty of propagating lies than the Leave side (and that takes some doing).

Trying to dismiss these as less important because of who they are aimed at is imbecilic.
  • Options
    For Sean T and Royal Blue, who were a bit depressed before, an small anecdote that might cheer you up:

Went to breakfast after our running group in North London and the conversation went to the Referendum. Of the three waiverers, two were now leaning to Leave after having being Remain.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    STUFFED BY TURKEY More than 700,000 Turks ‘will flock to live and work in Britain after country joins EU’
    Migration Watch said that if Brits vote to Remain our population will soar towards 80 million

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1271200/more-than-100000-turks-a-year-will-flock-to-britain-after-it-joins-the-eu-pushing-net-migration-to-a-staggering-420000/?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-SunPolitics-_-20160612-_-Politics-_-491815781-_-Imageandlink
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

New York City is hardly great for Republicans either is it, most people in either city rent with only the richest able to buy and both cities are socially liberal and filled with immigrants. Middle income earners in London tend to move out to Kent or Essex once they want to buy a house and start a family
    But 30 years ago when London was apparently at its trough it was good for the Conservatives. Not unconnected to middle income earners being able to afford to buy in London in those days.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    John_M said:

It's the Mail. Who edits this trashy rag these days?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    DavidL said:

GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

Were you busy?

I remember going to conferences where we were assured that litigation arising from it was going to clog the courts for a decade. Didn't quite work out that way.
    Technically the NDA still counts but I doubt their ninjas will hunt me down now.

We were directly connected to every regional SC head office around the globe and all faults were logged centrally. A few things broke; a door entry system somewhere, aircon somewhere else etc., But it was a quiet night.

It should have been. We had been debugging and testing for almost a year.
  • Options

John_M said:

"German MPs of Turkish origin have been warned not to travel to Turkey and will get increased police protection after Germany's parliament declared the 1915 massacre of Armenians a "genocide", according to media reports.

Eleven MPs have been getting threats after the resolution, which has injected fresh tensions between Germany and Turkey, was passed in the beginning of June, the reports say.

Der Spiegel, a German newsmagazine, said the foreign ministry had warned the MPs against travelling to Turkey because their safety could not be guaranteed."

Erdogan is repellent. But I don't believe that means the Turkish people are. I feel sorry for them - he had a great start, didn't he? Now he appears to be travelling down a well trodden route to bog standard middle eastern autocrat.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,147
    There is a rather semantic game around what is a "world city". Sometimes it seems to mean somewhere fit for management consultants and financial capital allocators, which would by definition rule out most places with an egalitarian income distribution, but then Rome doesn't count, which is an auto-fail by categorisation.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

But the same can be said of any great world city - New York, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo.

It could probably be said of any great world city through history. By definition globally successful mega-cities are tough places to live if you are earning an average wage, hoping to bring up a family.

The comfy suburban London you describe was the London of 1930-1970, which was actually a London of quite serious decline, financially and demographically.

I don't think this is fixable. You can have a great world capital city or a capital city which is cheap and liveable. But not both.
    I think Tokyo would be the exception to that - apart from a few areas it's crazy cheap these days, and you wouldn't have a hard time getting by on an average wage. Maybe that's sign that it's in decline, though.
  • Options

Pro-EU ARE driven by a continuous stream of vastly exaggerated or entirely bogus claims!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    John_M said:

Vote leave to pull up the drawbridge.
  • Options

I cannot imagine Cameron is too pleased about today - his pensions speech gets knocked off by what happened in Orlando, which also raised the questions about Islamic extremism and whom you let into the country, which then ties in with the Sunday Times story over the leaked cables re Turkey, which the Mail, Sun etc will exploit over the next ten days.

Don't forget that Cameron is not the only one who will play dirty to win - Dacre has hated him for years and Brooks has not forgiven him for having her dirty laundry aired in public. They will have plenty of material re immigration all stored up to play in the next ten days.

I feel sure you're right. Oh, and btw, I see Dacre missed out on his gong once again.
    Irrespective of one's view of him, it's really quite remarkable given the pre-eminent position he has held in the British media for so many years .... the level of mutual hatred must run very deep indeed.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    MikeK said:

Leave 50.33%.
    Remain 49.67%.

Thanks for the predix. Your predictions are among the best on here...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    John_M said:

Letting Turkish "special passport" holders in for 90 days visa free for holiday or business is

1) just a proposal for discussion

2) means that we can deport them if working etc.

3) the same as 56 other countries
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fuck off.

The pro-EU campaign has lies in its fucking DNA. It is a lie incarnate. It is a lie made flesh. It is the essence of lies. It is the great mothership of mendacity. Because it pretends, to the Brits at least, that the EU is not a superstate-in-the-making. Which is a lie.

Compared to that overwhelming deception, all other fibs are footling trivialities. The EU, as sold to the British, IS a lie.

And you, Sir, are a liar.
    "Fuck Off"?

It's that cheap Italian plonk talking, isn't it Sean?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    John_M said:

It feeds on how many people can this country take,that's not paranoia,it's a fact and real life for people living in the inner cities.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fuck off.

The pro-EU campaign has lies in its fucking DNA. It is a lie incarnate. It is a lie made flesh. It is the essence of lies. It is the great mothership of mendacity. Because it pretends, to the Brits at least, that the EU is not a superstate-in-the-making. Which is a lie.

Compared to that overwhelming deception, all other fibs are footling trivialities. The EU, as sold to the British, IS a lie.

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/741743746123960320
  • Options
    edited June 2016

John_M said:

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/742104039291256832

Letting Turkish "special passport" holders in for 90 days visa free for holiday or business is

Special passports sound like pseudo-diplomatic passports. They are issued to:

Former members of the National Assembly
    First, Second or Third grade public servants.
    Retired First, Second or Third grade public servants.
    Mayors
    The spouse of special passport holders
    Unwed and unemployed children of special passport holders who live with their parents until they turn 25.
  • Options
    Pong said:

John_M said:

Vote leave to pull up the drawbridge.
    I think we've ended up with both sides fighting an imaginary foe. Remainers are happy to play at SJW-lite, fighting against a Britain of zero immigration, mass deportations, state-sponsored discrimination and a bonfire of human rights.

Leavers are fighting against a vast array of Eurocrats, each of which is wearing a monocle and stroking a white persian cat.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,308
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Erdogan is repellent. But I don't believe that means the Turkish people are. I feel sorry for them - he had a great start, didn't he? Now he appears to be travelling down a well trodden route to bog standard middle eastern autocrat.
    And if large numbers of Turks also decide Erdogan is repellent and want to leave Turkey and go to the EU to avoid the middle eastern autocrat...?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Talking bollocks again Topping. It really is becoming a habit with you.

Since the question was directed at me your comment about controlling immigration simply does not apply as I have never claimed immigration was a reason for wanting Brexit. Indeed I have made very clear that I want to join the EEA and recognise that it will mean we still have freedom of movement.

You really must try harder.
    Yes I agree sweetheart.

You, in your munificence, are happy to have free movement of people.

However, had you a scintilla of intelligence (a big ask, I appreciate), you would have understood my point that despite what you and other PB Leavers' ideal version of Out may be, the electorate doesn't want it.

They want no free movement and, according to, um, the official Leave campaign, out of the Single Market.

But you know better, right?
    Of course I know better. Because that is what all the polls say. You seem to be able to read the minds of the public without any reference to actual data.

In case you missed it the Yougov poll yesterday showed that 42% of Leave supporters would be happy with the Norway option. Now unless you are claiming that Remain supporters would rather choose complete exit to the EEA - something that frankly only a lunatic would claim (so I do expect it from you at some point this evening) - then there would be an overwhelming majority in favour of the EEA option after Brexit.

Them's the numbers. Added to the fact that an overwhelming majority of MPs would go for the EEA option I am afraid your grasp on reality is tenuous at best.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,941

John_M said:

It also has nothing to do with our membership of the EU as we can discriminate on non-EU immigration and would presumably have had the same policy if we weren't in the EU.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

I rather fancy I eat and drink very much better than you, old boy, mainly because I am PAID TO DO IT FOR A LIVING

There's a certain class of claret lover who loves claret because it's all they know. They tend to be over 70.
    I fancy I eat and drink very much better than you, mainly because I PAY OTHER PEOPLE WHO DO IT FOR A LIVING, RATHER THAN GETTING IT FOR FREE.

That said, I remember, vaguely, the thrill of getting freebies, whatever the quality.
    I wonder if any of the chefs piss or gob in SeanT's freebies :wink:

Do chefs actually do that to obnoxious customers or is it just an eternal joke / fear ?

Surely the source of knowledge which is PB could confirm if that does happen.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Fuck off.

"Fuck Off"?

It's that cheap Italian plonk talking, isn't it Sean?
    Basing your wine choice on one country, one apellation, one vintage, and now one price, isn't a sign of knowledge. You should try and broaden your palate, you'd enjoy it.
This discussion has been closed.