Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Voters would rather see their side win the referendum than

SystemSystem Posts: 11,723
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Voters would rather see their side win the referendum than see their team win the Euros

Fascinating by @YouGov. Voters would rather their side win the #EUref than win the Euros https://t.co/wVWiX1B1cI pic.twitter.com/S1asb8Nm3Q

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    First! :D
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283
    RobD said:

Like Remain and Trump.
  • Options
    Your cheque is in the post, TSE.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    I can't see that as a surprise given that the Euros come once every 4 years and EU referendums don't.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

RobD said:

Like LEAVE and Trump.
    :lol:
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    6th, like the LDs.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

6th, like the LDs.

How apt, for a thread on bar charts :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    edited June 2016

RobD said:

Like Remain and Trump.
    Hillary has a bigger lead than Remain at the moment, if Remain still have a lead, personally I expect narrow Remain and Clinton wins
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Any Scottish fieldwork for this? Oh silly me I forgot.....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    You know I'm knackered, I didn't take the opportunity to wind up the Scots in the thread header
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Looking at that graph it seems that LEAVE are less bothered if British teams prosper in Europe.

:trollface::trollface::trollface: REMAIN: THE PATRIOTIC OPTION :trollface::trollface::trollface:
  • Options

I can't see that as a surprise given that the Euros come once every 4 years and EU referendums don't.

41 years of hurt never stopped me dreaming.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Looking at that graph it seems that LEAVE are less bothered if British teams prosper in Europe.

:trollface::trollface::trollface: REMAIN: THE PATRIOTIC OPTION :trollface::trollface::trollface:

Who allowed the troll face emoticon on here?? :p
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Naught but REMAIN propaganda!
  • Options

You know I'm knackered, I didn't take the opportunity to wind up the Scots in the thread header

I've done it for you in a comment.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Love it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,520
    I really like the way the Germans play football. Their national side is like a top Premier league team with added quality. Hard work rate, a focus on going forward, working as a unit rather than relying on individual stars. I hope they win the tournament.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

Juncker. :mrgreen:

It's going to be my signature flourish from now on :trollface:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I really like the way the Germans play football. Their national side is like a top Premier league team with added quality. Hard work rate, a focus on going forward, working as a unit rather than relying on individual stars. I hope they win the tournament.

Actually you're right of course- except for the last sentence.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Any polls due tonight?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

Freggles said:

Juncker. :mrgreen:

It's going to be my signature flourish from now on :trollface:
    Oh lord....
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    O/T

(CNN)CIA chief John Brennan says that he believes 28 redacted pages of the 9/11 Commission report will soon be made public, and that they will prove that the government of Saudi Arabia had no involvement in the September 11 attacks

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/12/politics/cia-john-brennan-saudi-arabia-9-11/index.html

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    Freggles said:

Remain - concentrating on hollow victories to avoid thinking about the fact that they've outsourced their political future.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

fpt on the most important subject of BOOZE

The best wines right now are coming out of Italy, I reckon. If you want to spend £25 on a bottle. or more, then fine Italian wines - superTuscans etc - knock French wines out of the park.

Top Aussie wines are also superb, still. I drank this yesterday. A magnificent wine for the price

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-91742-2009-peter-lehmann-stonewell-shiraz-barossa-valley-australia

Problem for the Aussies is that their very best wines now get drunk at home or in Asia.

That said I agree the French have upped their game, especially outside the smugfest of Burgundy/Bordeaux. But they are no longer world leading by any stretch.

£25 for a bottle of wine? Only in a restaurant. I am only a poor lawyer with school fees to pay.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

It fits a pattern. Leavers would see their fellow countrymen become poorer for ideology.

Remain, the true patriotic option.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Any polls due tonight?

I'm not aware of any due.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

The best wines right now are coming out of Italy, I reckon. If you want to spend £25 on a bottle. or more, then fine Italian wines - superTuscans etc - knock French wines out of the park.

Top Aussie wines are also superb, still. I drank this yesterday. A magnificent wine for the price

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-91742-2009-peter-lehmann-stonewell-shiraz-barossa-valley-australia

Problem for the Aussies is that their very best wines now get drunk at home or in Asia.

That said I agree the French have upped their game, especially outside the smugfest of Burgundy/Bordeaux. But they are no longer world leading by any stretch.

I read this weekend that Queen Victoria's favourite drink was a mixture of Claret and Single Malt. I've just been trying it (I didn't have a claret, so a Merlot had to suffice) and I can confirm it is quite delicious! It does go to the head a bit though. Who knew that serious countenance she's famous far was just put on to hide the old girl was pissed as a newt?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    SeanT said:

Returning to your views on how much more impressive London is now than in your student days.

The old, declining London had numerous Conservative voting areas in middle suburbia which it doesn't do now - the Ealings, the Lewishams, the Ilfords, Hornsey, Streatham etc.

Are your views on how London has improved too much influenced by central London ?

I'd certainly agree that Kings Cross is much improved these days over what it was in the 1980s and 1990s but you can probably say the same about every mainline railway station and its environs in the country.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    This is because the referendum is winnable and the Euros aren't.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    I wonder what % actually care about Euro 2016 with or without the referendum - I seem to remember one survey showing that fewer than 50% follow football at all. If we got to the final I suspect people would get engaged in it, but at the moment, not so much.

By the way, to cheer all you monarchists out there - there was a royal street party off the Hornsey Road in Islington today - banners, scores of union Jacks. Really, what is the neighbourhood coming to? Don't they have an SWP meeting to go to or something?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283
    edited June 2016

(I didn't have a claret, so a Merlot had to suffice)

Isn't claret just a Britishism for red Bordeaux so it could just as well be Merlot based?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

£25 for a bottle of wine? Only in a restaurant. I am only a poor lawyer with school fees to pay.
    That cheese you said was a camembert version of cambozola.

Isn't cambozola designed to be a cross between camembert and gorgonzola ?

In which case a camembert version of cambozola would be almost full camembert.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

MP_SE said:

Any polls due tonight?

I'm not aware of any due.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2016

By the way, to cheer all you monarchists out there - there was a royal street party off the Hornsey Road in Islington today - banners, scores of union Jacks. Really, what is the neighbourhood coming to? Don't they have an SWP meeting to go to or something?

I hope someone reported them to the Guardian.
  • Options

Isn't claret just a Britishism for red Bordeaux so it could just as well be Merlot based?
    Yes, but my Siansbury's own brand almost certainly isn't.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Very heartening.

What doesn't come across in the thread header (but is stated in the linked story) is that this Yougov poll samples football fans, not just any old voters.

I think that shows up a useful contrast to the continual assessments that the EU doesn't matter much to people.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    DavidL said:

They'd be even better if they dropped their useless number 8.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Returning to your views on how much more impressive London is now than in your student days.

The old, declining London had numerous Conservative voting areas in middle suburbia which it doesn't do now - the Ealings, the Lewishams, the Ilfords, Hornsey, Streatham etc.

Are your views on how London has improved too much influenced by central London ?

I'd certainly agree that Kings Cross is much improved these days over what it was in the 1980s and 1990s but you can probably say the same about every mainline railway station and its environs in the country.
    30 or 40 years ago there was no question that New York was the world's premier city with London some way behind, now the two are at least level and London may even be slightly ahead. As for London suburbia there are still a few Tory suburbs about, Havering, Bromley, Bexley, Harrow etc
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    Superb German goal.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Very heartening.

What doesn't come across in the thread header (but is stated in the linked story) is that this Yougov poll samples football fans, not just any old voters.

I think that shows up a useful contrast to the continual assessments that the EU doesn't matter much to people.

I've just updated the thread header to make that clear.
  • Options

SeanT said:

I was down for a meeting not long ago and the shiny Starbucks at KC still had a UV light in the bathroom, to stop people looking for a vein and injecting in there. Which I thought was a bit retro.
  • Options
    Schweinsteiger, why has he not done the for Man U?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    fpt

What you need to understand is that in the teeny little PB bubble the "intelligentsia" have decided that despite the main motive of Leavers being to control immigration, and despite the Leave leaders stating they want to leave the Single Market, actually, apropos of nothing, what is best for the country is to immediately rejoin the EEA and apply the emergency brake (a temporary measure to be used as in exceptional circumstances), which will mean immigration just about unchanged from the status quo ante.

It is pure PB Leavers' fantasy.

this is a topic that I will be coming back to pop pickers.

Meanwhile, on topic - £25 gets you a decent every day 2005 claret. Why would you want to muck around with Italian or Californian wines?
  • Options

SeanT said:

I was down for a meeting not long ago and the shiny Starbucks at KC still had a UV light in the bathroom, to stop people looking for a vein and injecting in there. Which I thought was a bit retro.
    The things you learn on PB.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

30 or 40 years ago there was no question that New York was the world's premier city with London some way behind, now the two are at least level and London may even be slightly ahead. As for London suburbia there are still a few Tory suburbs about, Havering, Bromley, Bexley, Harrow etc
    I wonder how many Americans would agree that London is the equal of New York.

Or people from other countries.

I suspect there's an element of Londoners bigging up their city.

• Options
    sledgersledger Posts: 4
    So Rupert Murdoch is playing his final card. The Fox movie 'independence Day' within massive advertising will open on June 23. The DAY of our referendum. Everywhere , millions of dollars of advertising,will be jogging Lesve voters. TV, billboards, the lot. This surely is Murdoch sickest last card. If he loses he us gone, if he wins he is king.. Will it work?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Wine, wine wine. Enough of this foreign muck.

Show some patriotism and drink some fine British ale. Or even some hipster 'craft' beer, if you will.

Then round things off with a single malt - unadulterated by ice or, what was it, scarlet?

• Options

SeanT said:

But Middlesbrough bus station had those as recently as a few years ago!

Wait... Yes, yes, I see what you mean.
  • Options
    sledger said:

So Rupert Murdoch is playing his final card. The Fox movie 'independence Day' within massive advertising will open on June 23. The DAY of our referendum. Everywhere , millions of dollars of advertising,will be jogging Lesve voters. TV, billboards, the lot. This surely is Murdoch sickest last card. If he loses he us gone, if he wins he is king.. Will it work?

In other news, tin foil sales seeing record growth. :D
  • Options

SeanT said:

Doesn't it work any longer?
  • Options

I wonder what % actually care about Euro 2016 with or without the referendum - I seem to remember one survey showing that fewer than 50% follow football at all. If we got to the final I suspect people would get engaged in it, but at the moment, not so much.

The Guardian reading classes must have loved that!
  • Options
    sledger said:

You think an American fantasy about their exceptionalism and general superiority is going to make Brits more likely to vote for Brexit? Well, its a view.
  • Options
    That story is from October and I think the Left are now in power.

Don't be that guy.
  • Options
    Why do you Leavers believe any old bollocks?

1) It's from last year

2) The left are in power now
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    TOPPING said:

fpt

What you need to understand is that in the teeny little PB bubble the "intelligentsia" have decided that despite the main motive of Leavers being to control immigration, and despite the Leave leaders stating they want to leave the Single Market, actually, apropos of nothing, what is best for the country is to immediately rejoin the EEA and apply the emergency brake (a temporary measure to be used as in exceptional circumstances), which will mean immigration just about unchanged from the status quo ante.

Meanwhile, on topic - £25 gets you a decent every day 2005 claret. Why would you want to muck around with Italian or Californian wines?

Talking bollocks again Topping. It really is becoming a habit with you.

Since the question was directed at me your comment about controlling immigration simply does not apply as I have never claimed immigration was a reason for wanting Brexit. Indeed I have made very clear that I want to join the EEA and recognise that it will mean we still have freedom of movement.

You really must try harder.
  • Options

Wine, wine wine. Enough of this foreign muck.

Show some patriotism and drink some fine British ale. Or even some hipster 'craft' beer, if you will.

Then round things off with a single malt - unadulterated by ice or, what was it, scarlet?

I am flying the flag. I do quite like an Ale, but I would imagine it was probably better for you when full of friendly bacteria, before the advent of pasteurisation.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

1) It's from last year

If it's got AEP's mitts anywhere near it, just mentally translate it as having been written for the Daily Express. He's the poster child for the Boy Who Cried Wolf.
  • Options
    The ban is back. Trump is bringing back the ban Muslims from the USA policy.

Please vote Remain, so my holiday to America in two weeks' time isn't postponed.

Brexit means I might never go to America ever again.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Don't be that guy.
    Yes, but the fact is that the country was put under pressure.

We also know what Juncker has said about not allowing governments he considers not sufficiently on board to the European project to keep their voting rights.
  • Options

1) It's from last year

The EU is the opposite of Emperor Palpatine... they hate democracy (although I don't know their views on the republican form of government). :p
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    'Europe’s socialists face a dilemma. They are at last waking up to the unpleasant truth that monetary union is an authoritarian Right-wing enterprise that has slipped its democratic leash, yet if they act on this insight in any way they risk being prevented from taking power.'

This is why us on the Left should all be voting Leave.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Useless gobbet of the night:

It was because Richard, Earl of Clare was the first to import Bordeaux in sizeable amounts
  • Options

Please vote Remain, so my holiday to America in two weeks' time isn't postponed.

Just pretend you're a Jedi.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

FPT
    FF43 said:

Out of interest, what lies did the Remain campaign make about the EEA options and what they would mean.?

Cameron continually lies about the influence EFTA members of the EEA have over Single Market legislation. He claims they have to obey the laws but have no input. A lie.

Remain regularly say that we would have to pay as much per capita as we do now if we were to join the EEA. Again a lie.
  • Options

Is he president already? I must have dozed off.
  • Options
    RobD said:

1) It's from last year

The EU is the opposite of Emperor Palpatine... they hate democracy (although I don't know their views on the republican form of government). :p
    I reckon Emperor Palpatine would be anti-Republican, he'd be on the side of The Divine Rights of Kings (and Sith Lords)
  • Options
    RobD said:

1) It's from last year

TSE: What have I done???

Darth Gideon (aka Chancellor Osborne): You are fulfilling your destiny, TSE. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Daft Side of the Force. There's no turning back now.

TSE: I will do whatever you ask. Just help me save Theresa's political career. I can't live without her. If she resigns, I don't know what I will do.

Darth Gideon: To cheat political osbcurity is a power only one has achieved through centuries of the study of the Force. But if we work together, I know we can discover the secret to eternal AV Threads!

TSE: I pledge myself to your teachings. To the ways of the REMAIN Campaign.

Darth Gideon: Good. Good! The Force is strong with you, TSE. A powerful REMAINER you will become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth... Eagles.

TSE: Thank you... my Master.

Darth Gideon: Lord Eagles... rise.
  • Options

Sickening that there is no exception for PB Tories.
  • Options
    It is amazing how the referendum has realigned PB debate, and debate generally, away from Left/Right to Remain/Leave.
    I wonder how it will change after the referendum; will people still refer to others as Tory Leavers, or BOOers or Eurosceptics? How impactful will a Remain victory on politics?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

Did the ban ever go away?

Despite what some of his very few advocates on here say the guys is totally and utterly unhinged. Loon central.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

I wonder how many Americans would agree that London is the equal of New York.

Or people from other countries.

I suspect there's an element of Londoners bigging up their city.

It is based on statistics, for example London was the most visited city according to Mastercard in 2015 and was the biggest earner for international tourism, New York was 6th and 2nd respectively.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism

London outpaces the UK in tourism with the UK only the 8th most visited nation, New York is on a par with the US which is the second most visited nation after France
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism
  • Options

Freggles said:

Don't be that guy.

We also know what Juncker has said about not allowing governments he considers not sufficiently on board to the European project to keep their voting rights.
    Iff we want to go down the tinfoil route check out Juncker's comments on the Austrian elections. He's like fucking Goldilocks.

An elected government can't be too Left, or too Right, it's got to be just so. I commend him on keeping his mouth shut, while simultaneously hoping he has a drop too many and lets the UK proles have both barrels.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Except for Euston!
  • Options
    Europe’s socialists face a dilemma. They are at last waking up to the unpleasant truth that monetary union is an authoritarian Right-wing enterprise that has slipped its democratic leash, yet if they act on this insight in any way they risk being prevented from taking power.

Mr Corbyn & Labour are backing this?
  • Options

'Europe’s socialists face a dilemma. They are at last waking up to the unpleasant truth that monetary union is an authoritarian Right-wing enterprise that has slipped its democratic leash, yet if they act on this insight in any way they risk being prevented from taking power.'

This is why us on the Left should all be voting Leave.
    The major problem I have with the EU is the lack of change of vision means no progress.
  • Options

What's Brexit got to do with you going to the US?
  • Options

RobD said:

1) It's from last year

I reckon Emperor Palpatine would be anti-Republican, he'd be on the side of The Divine Rights of Kings (and Sith Lords)
    The real question... was his pledge "once this crisis has abated, I will lay down the powers you have given me!"... a cast iron guarantee, or just an ambition.... titters
  • Options
    John_M said:

1) It's from last year

If it's got AEP's mitts anywhere near it, just mentally translate it as having been written for the Daily Express. He's the poster child for the Boy Who Cried Wolf.
    Nah, the boy told AEP to cool it if he was going to have any credibility.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

It is amazing how the referendum has realigned PB debate, and debate generally, away from Left/Right to Remain/Leave.
    I wonder how it will change after the referendum; will people still refer to others as Tory Leavers, or BOOers or Eurosceptics? How impactful will a Remain victory on politics?

If Remain wins, I'm going to start to call Leavers, Losing Leavers, the noisy minority of the UK. The UK Cybernats.

I shall show no mercy.
  • Options

RobD said:

1) It's from last year

TSE: What have I done???

Darth Gideon (aka Chancellor Osborne): You are fulfilling your destiny, TSE. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Daft Side of the Force. There's no turning back now.

TSE: I will do whatever you ask. Just help me save Theresa's political career. I can't live without her. If she resigns, I don't know what I will do.

Darth Gideon: To cheat political osbcurity is a power only one has achieved through centuries of the study of the Force. But if we work together, I know we can discover the secret to eternal AV Threads!

TSE: I pledge myself to your teachings. To the ways of the REMAIN Campaign.

Darth Gideon: Good. Good! The Force is strong with you, TSE. A powerful REMAINER you will become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth... Eagles.

TSE: Thank you... my Master.

Darth Gideon: Lord Eagles... rise.
    Palpatine is Corbyn watching Boris (Luke) try to kill Cameron (Vader) except there wont be a happy ending for any of them.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Coral: 6 out 7 winning favourites so far at #EURO2016.

England the only non-winning favourite.
  • Options

1) It's from last year

That's a relief.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Coral: 6 out 7 winning favourites so far at #EURO2016.

England the only non-winning favourite.

Weren't the commentators saying that our successful world cup/euro tournaments started with draws. Small number statistics, obviously...
  • Options
    sledger said:

I'm going to vote, go to the lunchtime cinema showing, have an afternoon nap and then pop open a nice bottle of Burgundy about 9pm. Either to celebrate or drown sorrows....
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Did the ban ever go away?

Despite what some of his very few advocates on here say the guys is totally and utterly unhinged. Loon central.
    I've said before, given a choice between Trump and Clinton...I think I'd just commit seppuku. I believe they're both wrong choices for the USA (a country that I love almost as much as dear old Blighty). Clinton is, sadly, the lesser of the two evils.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

What's Brexit got to do with you going to the US?
    I have a holiday booked for Florida and Canada booked starting June 26th.

My employers have decided, as Brexit impacts the firm significantly, key staff will need to man the barricades, so no holidays to be honoured.

I am one of they key employees.

Is one of the reasons I have to go to Paris in the morning.

Sometimes it is a curse to be a French speaker.

Brexit means I have to spend more time in France.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Freggles said:

If Remain win narrowly then the Tories will be unable to govern, and any election is likely to replicate the Scottish outcome.

The momentum has been with the Kippers/Sceptics since 2014.

Centrist mush is being rejected repeatedly.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    You people will believe anything.

This classic Ambrose Evans Pritchard bollocks from last year has already been debunked by reality. The right-wing party got the most votes, and their right-wing president obviously gave them the first shot at forming a government, but the centre-left majority in parliament voted it down. The guy AEP is claiming was banned from power by a shadowy EU conspiracy is THE ACTUAL CURRENT SERVING PRIME MINISTER.

At the time anti-EU people were also retweeting a picture of what they claimed was a mass demonstration against the imaginary EU coup, but was actually from the Lisbon marathon.
  • Options
    There are football fans and then there are real football fans ..... who are we talking about here?
    Only around half a million adults in the UK pay to attend professional football matches every week, that's barely one per cent of their population. Somewhere between 60% - 70% of registered electors are thought likely to vote on the referendum in 11 days' time.
    Is it really at all surprising that we see see the sort of figures highlighted in this thread header?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

fpt

You choose to totally ignore the fact that our generous benefits system, based on universal entitlements, is a large part of the attraction that the UK holds for unskilled economic migrants. Cutting off such benefits would (whilst not going as far as many would like) no doubt do a great deal to cool the rate of inward unskilled migration. This omission is glaring.

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

Doesn't it work any longer?
    It was working fine. I couldn't see a sodding thing when I was trying to wash my hands.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Useless gobbet of the night:

It was because Richard, Earl of Clare was the first to import Bordeaux in sizeable amounts
    Is that true? I think I need a refund for my MA....and to hang my head in shame at not already knowing it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

1) It's from last year

The real question... was his pledge "once this crisis has abated, I will lay down the powers you have given me!"... a cast iron guarantee, or just an ambition.... titters
    TSE will reorganise the EU into the First Galactic Empire "for a safe and secure society" :lol:
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533

TOPPING said:

fpt

Talking bollocks again Topping. It really is becoming a habit with you.

Since the question was directed at me your comment about controlling immigration simply does not apply as I have never claimed immigration was a reason for wanting Brexit. Indeed I have made very clear that I want to join the EEA and recognise that it will mean we still have freedom of movement.

You really must try harder.
    Yes I agree sweetheart.

You, in your munificence, are happy to have free movement of people.

However, had you a scintilla of intelligence (a big ask, I appreciate), you would have understood my point that despite what you and other PB Leavers' ideal version of Out may be, the electorate doesn't want it.

They want no free movement and, according to, um, the official Leave campaign, out of the Single Market.

But you know better, right?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

You can put that one the other way around. Why do they hate the EU so much? Because they believe any old bollocks.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Freggles said:

It fits a pattern. Leavers would see their fellow countrymen become poorer for ideology.

Remain, the true patriotic option.
    No - you have to look at RELATIVE patriotism, not absolute.
  • Options

You can put that one the other way around. Why do the REMAINERS love the EU so much? Because they believe any old bollocks.
    :lol::lol:
  • Options
    John_M said:

Freggles said:

Don't be that guy.

Iff we want to go down the tinfoil route check out Juncker's comments on the Austrian elections. He's like fucking Goldilocks.

An elected government can't be too Left, or too Right, it's got to be just so. I commend him on keeping his mouth shut, while simultaneously hoping he has a drop too many and lets the UK proles have both barrels.
    I have to say he stuns me. Is he a secret Eurosceptic on a massive wind up? Apparently in private he is on at least cordial terms with Farage. As far as I am aware Farage has not described Luxembourg as a non country nor questioned whether Juncker is a low grade bank clerk.
  • Options

You people will believe anything.

This classic Ambrose Evans Pritchard bollocks from last year has already been debunked by reality. The right-wing party got the most votes, and their right-wing president obviously gave them the first shot at forming a government, but the centre-left majority in parliament voted it down. The guy AEP is claiming was banned from power by a shadowy EU conspiracy is THE ACTUAL CURRENT SERVING PRIME MINISTER.

At the time anti-EU people were also retweeting a picture of what they claimed was a mass demonstration against the imaginary EU coup, but was actually from the Lisbon marathon.
    Yeah, but apart from that were you not concerned?

AEP is a prat.
This discussion has been closed.