Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With a batch of phone polls on the way LEAVE punters might

Comments

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RodCrosby said:

Spot the difference

Rubio: "Islamic terrorists need to know they will not win..."

Clinton: "this was an act of terror"

Rubio doesn't care if non-Islamic terrorists know they will not win?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,137
    Freggles said:

RodCrosby said:

Spot the difference

A fair statement in the context of recent events, especially given the struggle with ISIS.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,846
    weejonnie said:

alex. said:

Has anyone estimated the extra costs to the country of policing these systems of tariffs with the wider world now that we can't outsource the job to the EU?

Also what are the VAT implications for buying and selling goods to the EU in future?

The EU lets us keep 25% of the tariffs on imported goods as an administration fee.
    I've seen conflicting numbers - some places it's stated as 20%.

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    RodCrosby said:
    One might have thought that a Presidential candidate would take a bit of care of establishing the facts before tweeting every rumour they hear.
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128
    Does anyone have the link - I think it was YouGov - to that recent EU-wide poll that shows most European countries want more powers back from the EU rather than towards it?

Really big help if somebody could supply link!
  • Options
    alex. said:

RodCrosby said:
    One might have thought that a Presidential candidate would take a bit of care of establishing the facts before tweeting every rumour they hear.
    Yeah, if you were a boring establishment candidate :p
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Question does the net contribution figure we talk about include tariffs the EU places and keeps on our imports?

No. Our net tariffs to the EU if we were on WTO rules would be £4.6 billion.

We would levy approximately £8.9 billion on them.
    Thats another £82 million a week net on top of the £350 million we save on fees.Also the government dosent pay the tariffs to the EU buyers do so the government takes the full £171 million a week.

So £350 million a week was wrong - its over £500 million a week

Starting to look like a no brainer
    In practice we just use the threat of imposing tariffs to get them not to do the same.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    edited June 2016
    alex. said:

RodCrosby said:
    But this is Donald Trump - certified loon and bigot.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited June 2016
    I see the discussion is again about trade with the EU. That would be fine if it was the EEC.

It's not the trade that bothers me in any way. it's the unelected layers of politics lying in the background that bothers me. It's a trading bloc so why does it need its own parliament, it's own flag ( that remain refuse to use on its literature) even it's own national anthem and currency.

Or perhaps their is another motive......
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,416
    chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

...It also favours domestic producers.

Devaluation favours domestic producers by making imports more expensive

So instead of an iPad for Xmas, you get an Amstrad Ofucno.

Oh, goody

Which part of the EU makes iPads?

A lower £ makes all imports more expensive, not just EU ones...
    That depends on if they are tariff items, and whether the tariff is removed once we are liberated.
    Unfortunately not. A 20% devaluation in GBP would outweigh any tariff less than 25%.

But it benefits UK exporters and increase price competitiveness of domestic producers, doesn't it?

A Midlands made Jaguar would become cheaper than an Audi/BMW, if my recall is correct - both here and in Germany.
    Yes. Cheaper to the foreigners buying it.

Unfortunately the Midlanders building it would be paid in a currency that would buy less.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Canvassing report

Not so positive today - Remain were actually ahead. I had my first 'unpleasant' doorstep experiences, both men in their 30s/40s. I think Leave will struggle with middle-class families with young children.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2016
    FBI admitting their fuckups. Mateen interviewed in 2013 and 2014. Connected to a would-be suicide bomber...

Investigation closed; then he got a gun permit.

Guns were bought in the last few days...
  • Options
    murali_s said:

alex. said:

RodCrosby said:
    of PB Burley proportions? :)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,455
    Charles said:

@rcs1000 did you mean to phrase your last post precisely like that?

Not exacary...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

RodCrosby said:

Spot the difference

A fair statement in the context of recent events, especially given the struggle with ISIS.
    If it had been a right-wing extremist and Clinton had said "Ultra-conservative terrorists need to know they will not win", everyone would have been all over her for being specific and caring more about some types of terrorism!
  • Options
    By the way, for anyone who like video games, Hitman's Sapienza episode is one of the finest pieces of video gaming I've ever played.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    RobD said:

murali_s said:

alex. said:

RodCrosby said:
    of PB Burley proportions? :)
    Indeed Rob!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

That depends on if they are tariff items, and whether the tariff is removed once we are liberated.
    Unfortunately not. A 20% devaluation in GBP would outweigh any tariff less than 25%.

Sorry I thought the Stronger in scare story was a 10% devaluation. Are scare tactics now running rampant 100% inflation?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

We need gas from Norway, but the rest ?

What do Europe have that no one else does?

A very good question and aside from brands which could, quite easily, be substituted by home produced products or manafactures from elsewhere I am struggling. There must be more but there are only two things I can think of Port and Brandy. Neither of which I would class as strategic necessities but I cannot think of a replacement product that is produced outside of the EU.

I would consider Port and Brandy, and even more Rioja, as strategic necessities.
    Brandy has a bit of a metallic taste to me. Scotch is the far superior after dinner drink. Port I can take or leave, but I'm with you on Rioja. Worst comes to worst, we'd have to take that 4% rise on the chin.
  • Options

Question does the net contribution figure we talk about include tariffs the EU places and keeps on our imports?

Thats another £82 million a week net on top of the £350 million we save on fees.Also the government dosent pay the tariffs to the EU buyers do so the government takes the full £171 million a week.

In practice we just use the threat of imposing tariffs to get them not to do the same.
    Tariffs are imposed on us. If the UK govt imposes a tariff, UK citizens will pay for it in more expensive goods.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    murali_s said:

alex. said:

RodCrosby said:
    ..."certified"...

Please provide a link to evidence of a certificate issued by a recognised medical authority.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Viceroy said:

Does anyone have the link - I think it was YouGov - to that recent EU-wide poll that shows most European countries want more powers back from the EU rather than towards it?

I found this useful, not sure if it's what you're looking for. Per country breakdowns further down the page.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/07/euroskepticism-beyond-brexit/
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

But it benefits UK exporters and increase price competitiveness of domestic producers, doesn't it?

A Midlands made Jaguar would become cheaper than an Audi/BMW, if my recall is correct - both here and in Germany.
    True , but it wont make our coal any cheaper as we don't mine any or our ships any cheaper as we don't build any any more etc .
  • Options
    I have a new theory. Brexit followed by rational people in charge (Richard_T or Charles), no negative impact on sterling.

Brexit followed by "Oh my God, we can improve the British economy by slapping a whole bunch of tariffs on everything!", result pretty horrible decline in sterling.
  • Options
    alex. said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@Philip_Thompson

and importing inflation is a price worth paying?

Good question.

Is inflation currently dangerously low or high?
    Inflation is currently a non-issue and isn't expected to be one for some time. But that is not to say we should vote to make it more of an issue than it is today.
    Ah. So it is currently dangerously low which is why Mark Carney has to write to George Osborne once a month to say what he is doing about it, but because that is a massive flaw in your argument you would like to side step it.

Got it, thanks. That's all cleared up.
    The fact that the Bank of England legislation requires the Governor to explain why inflation is falling outside of a narrow band around a predetermined "target" does not mean that it is "dangerously low", especially as the current rate is likely to rise as fuel rises come back into the figures. Many people would say that real inflation is ridiculously high, if you factor in housing costs...
    Inflation not including house prices is dangerously low.

House price inflation is dangerously high.

Fact is that we can only fix both outside of the EU.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    RoyalBlue said:

Canvassing report

Not so positive today - Remain were actually ahead. I had my first 'unpleasant' doorstep experiences, both men in their 30s/40s. I think Leave will struggle with middle-class families with young children.

Where were you canvassing?
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128
    John_M said:

Viceroy said:

I found this useful, not sure if it's what you're looking for. Per country breakdowns further down the page.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/07/euroskepticism-beyond-brexit/
    Thanks yep I just found that x
  • Options

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

True , but it wont make our coal any cheaper as we don't mine any or our ships any cheaper as we don't build any any more etc .
    That can be fixed
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

Freggles said:

RodCrosby said:

Spot the difference

If it had been a right-wing extremist and Clinton had said "Ultra-conservative terrorists need to know they will not win", everyone would have been all over her for being specific and caring more about some types of terrorism!
    But no one perceives a threat from ultra-conservative terrorism, or if they do it is orders of magnitude lower than from islamic terrorism (rightly or wrongly).
  • Options

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

Sorry I thought the Stronger in scare story was a 10% devaluation. Are scare tactics now running rampant 100% inflation?
    The 10% is what's already happened. The additional 20% what's still to come.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Here's a question Richard.

I'm sure we could do all kind of trade deals here there and everywhere, but many economists have forecast that there will be a diminution in GDP in the coming years if we leave.

Do you think that in aggregate we would be able, economically, to put ourselves in a better place if we left? It is a bold assumption (and I don't think you are an economist).

I get the Freedom! debate - freedom for UK kettle manufacturers to make kettles howsoever they goddamn please. But aggregate GDP levels? Not so sure.

For coherence, unless you are Patrick Minford, then I would stick with the Freedom thing: It is a price worth paying for our sovereignty to leave the EU.

Yes I do think we could put ourselves in a better position economically because I think the most likely outcome from Brexit will be an EEA relationship. As such our trade with the EU will not be affected whilst we will be free to pursue our own trade agreements with the rest of the world. We will also be able to take part in the decision making process which sets the rules for world trade. Something we are currently unable to do directly.

I also strongly believe that Brexit will lead to a much quicker move to political union in the EU which will help solve the problems the Eurozone has been having with its own economic union. In the medium to long term this will benefit trade as a whole for the world economy.

As an aside - and it is not directly linked to this conversation right now - I dislike the continual reference to GDP instead of to GDP per capita. It is quite possible for GDP to increase whilst GDP per capita drops and that is certainly not good for a country.
    Your last point first - addressed in my post to @MarkHopkins.

Your other points (although we have rehearsed this many times): despite my assumption of great pragmatism by rEU if we leave, I am not sure it they would accept us as an EEA membership. Looking at the emergency brake, for example, it is frought with problems a) to use permanently; and b) to apply it to the UK.

At ever stage (every three months) they would be looking for reasons for us to stop using it. That is not the situation of a grown up country.

I am also cautious about the length that WTO discussions take - if you think dealing with 27 countries is tricky..

You have indeed said it before but as I have pointed out before the EU has no control over whether or not we join EFTA and so remain in the EEA. Short of tearing up the whole EEA agreement they cannot stop us remaining in something to which we are an independent signatory unless we breach the terms of the treaty. So if we join EFTA (again something the EU has no power over) then we will remain in the EEA.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RodCrosby said:

FBI admitting their fuckups. Mateen interviewed in 2013 and 2014. Connected to a would-be suicide bomber...

Investigation closed; then he got a gun permit.

Guns were bought in the last few days...

@JamilSmith: President Obama took an awful, alarmist question on gun control just 10 days ago. You’ll want to watch his response. https://t.co/E2Fyo3ChhY
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

RoyalBlue said:

Canvassing report

My usual stamping ground - Sarf East London.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Moses_ said:

I see the discussion is again about trade with the EU. That would be fine if it was the EEC.

It's not the trade that bothers me in any way. it's the unelected layers of politics lying in the background that bothers me. It's a trading bloc so why does it need its own parliament, it's own flag ( that remain refuse to use on its literature) even it's own national anthem and currency.

With respect, I think you have that inside out.

The original aim was to create a single country called Europe.

The originators knew that none of their respective populations would go for that aim.

So they started off with trade. Which needed administration. Which needed bureaucrats.

And then they just let the bureaucrats get on with building their empires the way bureaucrats always do.

Hey presto! The single country called Europe has arrived.
  • Options

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

That can be fixed
    British coal mines closed down because they were uncompetitive. It would cost around $220/tonnes to commercially mine coal in the UK.

Are you planning on requiring British power stations and Port Talbot to buy coal at $220/tonne? If so, how are you planing on getting anyone to buy the electricity from the power stations or steel from the mill?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@Philip_Thompson

and importing inflation is a price worth paying?

Good question.

Is inflation currently dangerously low or high?
    Inflation is currently a non-issue and isn't expected to be one for some time. But that is not to say we should vote to make it more of an issue than it is today.
    Ah. So it is currently dangerously low which is why Mark Carney has to write to George Osborne once a month to say what he is doing about it, but because that is a massive flaw in your argument you would like to side step it.

Got it, thanks. That's all cleared up.
    And thank god you are not the Governor of the Bank of England if you think you can manage inflation in such precise terms.
    Clearly that is his remit, to get it between 1 and 3%. Obviously there will be short term blips that push inflation outside of these bounds, and I don't think they should get exercised about those but we have seen below par inflation for far too long on he one hand, and the threat of a one off hit that takes inflation to the top end of the target range (or possibly a shade outside) for a short period of time does not worry me at all.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,770
    edited June 2016

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

A very good question and aside from brands which could, quite easily, be substituted by home produced products or manafactures from elsewhere I am struggling. There must be more but there are only two things I can think of Port and Brandy. Neither of which I would class as strategic necessities but I cannot think of a replacement product that is produced outside of the EU.

I would consider Port and Brandy, and even more Rioja, as strategic necessities.
    Brandy has a bit of a metallic taste to me. Scotch is the far superior after dinner drink. Port I can take or leave, but I'm with you on Rioja. Worst comes to worst, we'd have to take that 4% rise on the chin.

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Rioja is indeed important but if there was a risk that the French would stop selling us Chablis I would have to reconsider. And some of their cheeses come to that.

I really don't get why Remain focus on completely irrelevant things like London house prices and interest rates when they can claim a threat to our true essentials.
  • Options

Indeed. I was being ironic there
  • Options

There is what I believe is another £2 billion a year going out of the International Aid budget to the European Commission. This isn't included in our 'fees' as Remain supporting outlets are careful to call them, but would have probably been included in the original 'pink book' figure used by Vote Leave. I wouldn't be surprised if there's additional money flowing to the EU from other departmental budgets too.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Warm the brandy a little - either with the glass in your hands for 10 minutes or, preferably, in a brandy bowl perched over a cup of hot water.

I much prefer Scotch as a late night drink, but if I've over eaten then Brandy is just the ticket. Ditto for shock etc.

Never really got Rioja, have always thought it a bit overpowering - even compared to claret.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Is Trump-McSally now the perfect fit?

This was her, after Paris...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn_darqWMZY
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

That can be fixed
    Dream on , what took years to destroy will take decades to rebuild .
  • Options

There is what I believe is another £2 billion a year going out of the International Aid budget to the European Commission. This isn't included in our 'fees' as Remain supporting outlets are careful to call them, but would have probably been included in the original 'pink book' figure used by Vote Leave. I wouldn't be surprised if there's additional money flowing to the EU from other departmental budgets too.
    Have you pinged the Leave campaign with that?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Do you really believe the UK would benefit from imposing tariffs on EU imports?
    I was being ironic - forgot the smilie
  • Options

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

That can be fixed
    Good news for the Lib Dems :D:p
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

I guess you don't understand what devaluation means.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

alex. said:

Has anyone estimated the extra costs to the country of policing these systems of tariffs with the wider world now that we can't outsource the job to the EU?

Also what are the VAT implications for buying and selling goods to the EU in future?

The EU lets us keep 25% of the tariffs on imported goods as an administration fee.
    How gracious of them
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    rcs1000 said:

I have a new theory. Brexit followed by rational people in charge (Richard_T or Charles), no negative impact on sterling.

Brexit followed by "Oh my God, we can improve the British economy by slapping a whole bunch of tariffs on everything!", result pretty horrible decline in sterling.

Agreed.

You don't have to be Robert Peel to realise this....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,601

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Here's a question Richard.

I'm sure we could do all kind of trade deals here there and everywhere, but many economists have forecast that there will be a diminution in GDP in the coming years if we leave.

Do you think that in aggregate we would be able, economically, to put ourselves in a better place if we left? It is a bold assumption (and I don't think you are an economist).

I get the Freedom! debate - freedom for UK kettle manufacturers to make kettles howsoever they goddamn please. But aggregate GDP levels? Not so sure.

For coherence, unless you are Patrick Minford, then I would stick with the Freedom thing: It is a price worth paying for our sovereignty to leave the EU.

Yes I do think we could put ourselves in a better position economically because I think the most likely outcome from Brexit will be an EEA relationship. As such our trade with the EU will not be affected whilst we will be free to pursue our own trade agreements with the rest of the world. We will also be able to take part in the decision making process which sets the rules for world trade. Something we are currently unable to do directly.

I also strongly believe that Brexit will lead to a much quicker move to political union in the EU which will help solve the problems the Eurozone has been having with its own economic union. In the medium to long term this will benefit trade as a whole for the world economy.

As an aside - and it is not directly linked to this conversation right now - I dislike the continual reference to GDP instead of to GDP per capita. It is quite possible for GDP to increase whilst GDP per capita drops and that is certainly not good for a country.
    Your last point first - addressed in my post to @MarkHopkins.

Your other points (although we have rehearsed this many times): despite my assumption of great pragmatism by rEU if we leave, I am not sure it they would accept us as an EEA membership. Looking at the emergency brake, for example, it is frought with problems a) to use permanently; and b) to apply it to the UK.

At ever stage (every three months) they would be looking for reasons for us to stop using it. That is not the situation of a grown up country.

I am also cautious about the length that WTO discussions take - if you think dealing with 27 countries is tricky..

You have indeed said it before but as I have pointed out before the EU has no control over whether or not we join EFTA and so remain in the EEA. Short of tearing up the whole EEA agreement they cannot stop us remaining in something to which we are an independent signatory unless we breach the terms of the treaty. So if we join EFTA (again something the EU has no power over) then we will remain in the EEA.
    In the medium term I suspect that is exactly what they'd do. If they regard EFTA as not fit for purpose for managing the relationship with larger economies like the UK they would seek to impose a new institutional framework along the lines of associate membership.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Tariffs are imposed on us. If the UK govt imposes a tariff, UK citizens will pay for it in more expensive goods.
    Yes. It still amounts to a shin kicking exercise in which they have more to lose.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

@rcs1000 did you mean to phrase your last post precisely like that?

Not exacary...
    Lucky you can cheat ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Rioja is indeed important but if there was a risk that the French would stop selling us Chablis I would have to reconsider. And some of their cheeses come to that.

I really don't get why Remain focus on completely irrelevant things like London house prices and interest rates when they can claim a threat to our true essentials.
    I had a chat to a very senior chef the other day, who told me a lot of the French cheeses are superior because they totally ignore EU regulations regarding refrigeration during production. Unpick the EUref bones out of that one.
  • Options

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

That can be fixed

No wonder they are worried about us leaving and Barclays say it will be far worse for the EU economically than us
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

MP_SE said:

RoyalBlue said:

Canvassing report

London will always be a tricky one for Leave. I am seeing a decent amount of support for Leave in Surrey.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I wouldn't slap tariffs on everything except as a negotiating tactic.

What I would aim to do though is get tariff free trade with enough countries to replace the EUs GDP as I see them as an awkward protectionist bloc. Would still like to trade tariff free but I don't feel safe with 45% of our eggs in their basket.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

RoyalBlue said:

MP_SE said:

RoyalBlue said:

Canvassing report

London will always be a tricky one for Leave. I am seeing a decent amount of support for Leave in Surrey.
    Can you be more precise as to location?
  • Options
    Are there any polls due tonight?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Who Knows - LEAVE may pass that audit. I notice they haven't been called out on it yet - have they?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

I had a chat to a very senior chef the other day, who told me a lot of the French cheeses are superior because they totally ignore EU regulations regarding refrigeration during production. Unpick the EUref bones out of that one.
    I forgot to include Denmark (and Finland) in my EUNord prospectus yesterday. Don't worry Denmark, you're in, herrings and all. But only because of your bacon.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/brexit-fire-denmark-leave-eu-reignite-smokehouses/
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited June 2016
    AnneJGP said:

Moses_ said:

The originators knew that none of their respective populations would go for that aim.

So they started off with trade. Which needed administration. Which needed bureaucrats.

And then they just let the bureaucrats get on with building their empires the way bureaucrats always do.

Indeed, Mrs GP, as expressed by Jean Monnet, one of the founders of what has become the EU:

“Europe’s nations should be guided towards the superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose but which will irreversibly lead to federation.”

Whether he actually said that is disputed, mostly by people who would like to see as real EU.
  • Options
    alex. said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

I'm due a meaningful payment of a sterling value that will be settled in dollars.

If you can hold off a devaluation for a few days that would be much appreciated :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

No. Thought about it but wouldn't know who best to contact. It would also require a FOI request - the last report that gives a breakdown of 'Multilateral Overseas Development Aid' by organisation was in 2013. The 2014 report doesn't show this breakdown, at least not in a format that I can decipher.
  • Options
    alex. said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

No it hasn't. All I've seen across the last 5 years is normal fluctuation. You have a problem here in that you sooooo believe Stronger In propaganda that anything you see backs it up, whilst in the real world, people are laughing at them.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    felix said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

I guess you don't understand what devaluation means.
    I understand that removing tariffs with non EU countries would compensate - and I guess you don't know what devaluation means or you wouldn't have described depreciation incorrectly.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

RoyalBlue said:

MP_SE said:

RoyalBlue said:

Canvassing report

Can you be more precise as to location?
    I will message you.
  • Options

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

That can be fixed

No wonder they are worried about us leaving and Barclays say it will be far worse for the EU economically than us
    A decent chunk of our overseas aid budget is spent multilaterally with our European partners, which does make sense. I do agree that IA is too high of course. I'm too lazy to go and research the destination breakdown, but it wouldn't surprise me if some doesn't end up in the 'Less Developed Regions' program (basically son of Objective-1).
  • Options

RobD said:

No. Thought about it but wouldn't know who best to contact. It would also require a FOI request - the last report that gives a breakdown of 'Multilateral Overseas Development Aid' by organisation was in 2013. The 2014 report doesn't show this breakdown, at least not in a format that I can decipher.
    Well, even the 2013 numbers would be useful. As for who to contact, not sure. Twitter seems like a good place, but then you might just end up with the PR intern in charge of the twitter account. :D
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    The football hooligans are not helping the Leave cause because it reminds us of the Little England mentality. In this area, leafy South Western market town, Leave seem to be ahead but with lots of undecideds who may be influenced by the economic argument.Cameron played dirty but effective today with his reminder about the possible loss of the triple lock on pensions.Lots of pensioners may now regret their hastily returned postal vote.I'm voting to Remain in the EU but I fit the expected demographic for doing so. It all seems so close and Gibraltar may hold the trump card.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

British coal mines closed down because they were uncompetitive. It would cost around $220/tonnes to commercially mine coal in the UK.

...and it would have to be open-cast. We just don't have the culture that would allow family members to become miners anymore. Generation Snowflake would not cope in a community where blue scars, missing fingers and toes, and coughing yourself to death in your 30s/40s/50s are the norm, not the exception. Miners were known as hard bastards for good reason.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The football hooligans are not helping the Leave cause because it reminds us of the Little England mentality. In this area, leafy South Western market town, Leave seem to be ahead but with lots of undecideds who may be influenced by the economic argument.Cameron played dirty but effective today with his reminder about the possible loss of the triple lock on pensions.Lots of pensioners may now regret their hastily returned postal vote.I'm voting to Remain in the EU but I fit the expected demographic for doing so. It all seems so close and Gibraltar may hold the trump card.

Cameron has been pretty disgraceful on this one (and I'm generally a fan). He's okay keeping the minimum overseas aid budget at the expense of our own pensioners, the vast majority of who have paid into the system.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Agreed.

You don't have to be Robert Peel to realise this....
    There is a real lack of nuance in people's view of protectionism on this site. Look into how German industry managed to get started.

It comes from our history of being the world's dominant economy. 'Free Trade' is always in the favour of the more advanced and powerful economy. Take Britain vs. China, Britain and India, America vs. ROW. But we're not dominant any more. Protectionism probably still isn't a good way forward in the majority of cases, but it shouldn't be automatically dismissed.
  • Options

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

That can be fixed

Whether or not the EU are worried about the UK leaving, I am still scratching my head over why Mr Cameron never took into account the possibility we might vote to leave.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

A lot of businesses in the EU do precisely that. I suspect only us and the Germans actually pay much attention to most of what Brussels says.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Yes. It still amounts to a shin kicking exercise in which they have more to lose.
    If they kick our shins twice and we kick their shins three times...we have still had our shins kicked twice.

Trade wars are bad for both sides. Nobody wins, there are different degrees of losing.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    SeanT said:

TINY ANECDOTE ALERT

My older daughter's mother is a bit of a bellwether for elections. She nearly always votes on the winning side. She's a soft centre liberal with some Tory tendencies, but also voted Blair several times.

She's been havering over the euroref and has flirted, conspicuously, with LEAVE. At heart she is a LEAVER, as she says herself.

But today over a very pleasant Father's Day lunch she confessed she would vote REMAIN, despite her yearning to quit. Project Fear has worked, she feels she just can't take the risk.

I suspect this will be the case for millions. I stand by my Nojam predix of

REMAIN 56
    LEAVE 44

Do you have bipolar? :p
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Moses_ said:

Indeed, Mrs GP, as expressed by Jean Monnet, one of the founders of what has become the EU:

“Europe’s nations should be guided towards the superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose but which will irreversibly lead to federation.”

Whether he actually said that is disputed, mostly by people who would like to see as real EU.
    I thought that quote was a complete fabrication.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

TINY ANECDOTE ALERT

My older daughter's mother is a bit of a bellwether for elections. She nearly always votes on the winning side. She's a soft centre liberal with some Tory tendencies, but also voted Blair several times.

She's been havering over the euroref and has flirted, conspicuously, with LEAVE. At heart she is a LEAVER, as she says herself.

But today over a very pleasant Father's Day lunch she confessed she would vote REMAIN, despite her yearning to quit. Project Fear has worked, she feels she just can't take the risk.

REMAIN 56
    LEAVE 44

You do know that father's day is next Sunday, right?

Or are you getting your anecdotes in early.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TINY ANECDOTE ALERT

REMAIN 56
    LEAVE 44

Well, God is on the side of the big battalions, as Boney said. Pity.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

...and it would have to be open-cast. We just don't have the culture that would allow family members to become miners anymore. Generation Snowflake would not cope in a community where blue scars, missing fingers and toes, and coughing yourself to death in your 30s/40s/50s are the norm, not the exception. Miners were known as hard bastards for good reason.
    There was nothing my greatgrandfather, a miner, wanted more than the knowledge his descendants wouldn't have to join him.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TINY ANECDOTE ALERT

REMAIN 56
    LEAVE 44

Depressing. How many will bottle it in the polling booth?
  • Options

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

There was nothing my greatgrandfather, a miner, wanted more than the knowledge his descendants wouldn't have to join him.
    I used to be a minor.

(I'll get my coat.)
  • Options

I think it's only £1bn to the EU fund plus a further £1bn to a UN fund that happens to be administered by the EU
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

TINY ANECDOTE ALERT

REMAIN 56
    LEAVE 44

You do know that father's day is next Sunday, right?

Or are you getting your anecdotes in early.
    I was urgently checking the diary to make sure I hadn't forgotten!!

Are you going to buy OGH a 'blockquote' module for PB? ;)
  • Options
    Charles said:

I think it's only £1bn to the EU fund plus a further £1bn to a UN fund that happens to be administered by the EU
    How very convenient for the EU.... :)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    SeanT said:

Gibraltar is about the same size as Falmouth, Cornwall, and barely half the size of Kidderminster.

It will not swing the vote.
    Agree. Plus the vote from here is entirely predicable so can be factored in easily..
    20,000 for REMAIN
    8 for Leave, or 7 if I am busy.
  • Options
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

I forgot to include Denmark (and Finland) in my EUNord prospectus yesterday. Don't worry Denmark, you're in, herrings and all. But only because of your bacon.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/brexit-fire-denmark-leave-eu-reignite-smokehouses/
    And this sort of thing is how it starts. With vacuum cleaners, smoke houses and next kettles.

They just cant' help themselves with a little interference here and a little there and rules which must be followed.
  • Options
    The best way to reduce immigration is to improve the economic prospects of the countries from where the immigrants come. That is the proper use of the International Aid budget.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    AnneJGP said:

Moses_ said:

Ah yes...a much better explanation. :smile:

So as I thought a total con.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,835
    I presume Top Gear is cracking this week as nobody is moaning...makes comment, runs out the door....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124
    alex. said:

weejonnie said:

alex. said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

We seem to trade more successfully with those nations with whom we do not share a Single Market than with those with whom we do. Our trade with non-EU nations is broadly in balance, whereas with EU nations, we have a massive deficit. It's therefore unclear to me what the benefits of the Single Market are to this country, or what there is to fear if we don't form part of it after leaving the EU.

Leave the EU, and reduce the Trade Deficit.

Our trade deficit is the consequence of having one of the lowest savings rates in the world, not our membership of the EU.
    In 2015 we had an annual £100bn trade deficit with the EU, a surplus of about £10bn with the rest of the world, and you're saying that a significant reduction in the UK's volume of trade with the EU would not reduce the UK's trade deficit?

Besides that, the existence of that £100bn trade deficit means that German firms will be petrified, because the opportunities lost to export to the UK will be far more than the opportunities gained by German firms as UK exports to Germany are scaled back.

So Schauble's threats are utterly empty. But nonetheless it might be in the UK's interests to insist that he follows through on them.
    In April 2016 the UK imported £21.9 billion from non-EU nations but exported only £13 billion. The UK exported £12 billion to EU nations and imported £19.1 billion, so on those figures we had a slightly larger deficit with non-EU nations
    https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/EU_and_Non-EU_Data.aspx
    But, over the slightly longer term, our trade with non-EU countries balances.
    Just as a matter of interest, which products that we currently import from the EU do you think we would not longer need to import post-Brexit?
    Well quite. We would import the same things, they would just be a bit more expensive.
    Or, shock horror, we could actually make them in the UK! If it is cheaper to make them here than import them then firms will set up.
    Maybe the German Car industry will relocate to the UK? :)
    From South Africa.
  • Options

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Agreed
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

TINY ANECDOTE ALERT

REMAIN 56
    LEAVE 44

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself."
  • Options

I'm voting to Remain ... but I fit the expected demographic for doing so.

Labour troll?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    alex. said:

The best way to reduce immigration is to improve the economic prospects of the countries from where the immigrants come. That is the proper use of the International Aid budget.

They could abolish the euro.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Well, even the 2013 numbers would be useful. As for who to contact, not sure. Twitter seems like a good place, but then you might just end up with the PR intern in charge of the twitter account. :D
    If you've got workings to back it up, you can find my gmail on my blog.

I can then email a friend who has got my numbers into the campaign.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I presume Top Gear is cracking this week as nobody is moaning...makes comment, runs out the door....

Not watching. Wouldn't know.

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

TINY ANECDOTE ALERT

REMAIN 56
    LEAVE 44

I would have thougbt the soft centre liberals with some tory tendencies are pretty high up the list for voting remain in the end.

I asked a pensioner I now if she now regretted voting leave by post if it meant her bus pass went. When the snorts of derision had stopped her utter disgust for Camerons bullying behaviour demeaning his office was expressed
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    GeoffM said:

SeanT said:

Gibraltar is about the same size as Falmouth, Cornwall, and barely half the size of Kidderminster.

It will not swing the vote.
    Agree. Plus the vote from here is entirely predicable so can be factored in easily..
    20,000 for REMAIN
    8 for Leave, or 7 if I am busy.
    Which is funny when you think about it - because it is more likely the LEAVERS who would care what happens to Gibraltar. To The Remainers- -Gibraltar's fate is sealed - it will be eventually handed over to Spain in the interests of European Harmony.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

chestnut said:

viewcode said:

chestnut said:

Oh, goody

That can be fixed

Whether or not the EU are worried about the UK leaving, I am still scratching my head over why Mr Cameron never took into account the possibility we might vote to leave.
    As a general rule, politicians have an over-inflated sense of their own ability to influence outcomes
This discussion has been closed.