Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Turnout: the EURef big unknown

Comments

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Not to mention abortion.

Cultures which practice contraception and abortion will inevitably be replaced with cultures that do not.

Cocaine for horses, not for men
    Preacher say it kill you but he don't know when...

Actually, you could just as well say "cultures that let women vote will inevitably be replaced..." - and it would be even more conservative!

It would be wrong though.

If I have 5 kids (which I actually do) and they all have five kids, within 50 years I have replaced myself with 12.5 voters

If you have one kid and he in turn has one kid then within 50 years you have replaced yourself with 1/4 of a voter.

A ratio of 50:1
    . I could name lots of nations where abortion was illegal but is no longer illegal, can you name any that has gone the other way around.
    Certain US states are doing their darnedest. As a guess somewhere in the Middle or Far East that has done from a Secular to Islamic government in the last 30 years may have banned abortion.
    To be fair in the States that's because they never actually wanted abortion legalising but it was forced upon them by SCOTUS. So the culture has never flipped back.
    True. I did edit my previous post though, Chile banned previously legal abortion in 1989.
    The idea thwt the triumph of progressive values is inevitable is as silly as the idea of the triumph of Marxist Values was.

This referendum is alresdy showing that progressive european ideals are not shared by nearly so much of the UK population than the great and good thought.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,293

There is a flaw in James Dyson logic:

A 'tariff' on imports is not paid for by the provider but by the consumer (via higher-costs). Outwith import-substitution we have to pay-up or go without. [And I am firmly B.O.O.!]

Absolutely right.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2016

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Should LEAVE prevail on 23 June, it will be Labour voters wot won it for them. Reflecting Corbyn's decidedly lacklustre level of support for the party's official line as being for REMAIN, the rank and file of their supporters are so far clearly not convinced.

The LEAVE Tories, together with UKIP supporters are nowhere near enough to win it for LEAVE on their own, they need a mighty wodge of Labour voting LEAVERS to push them over the line.

The way the numbers work out could eventually prove to look something like this:

Conservative Leavers ..... 60% x 35% = 21.0%
    UKIP Leavers .................. 90% x 15% = 13.5%
    Labour Leavers ............... 45% x 30% = 13.5%
    Other Parties' Leavers ..... 15% x 20% = 3.0%

Total LEAVERS .................................... 51.0%

It's fascinating how cross-party the Leave campaign is - I'm sure I've seen posters here using whatever leaflets/signs are most appropriate for their area, irrespective of their own politics.

I'm pushing LabourLeave stuff quite hard. They've a really compelling BS free message. GrassRootsOut have some great nuggets too. VoteLeave are impressing me with video evidence/rapid rebuttals/big announcements.

I don't want to believe the polling - but the trend seems to be coming our way.
    It is often said that Rupert Murdoch likes to support the winning side and that's certainly a logical stance for a newspaper proprietor to take, i.e. in not wishing to alienate one's readership.
    I suspect there's also a small, probably very small percentage of the electorate who want to back the winner. Even if this percentage is < 1%, this could prove crucial in what looks like a very close contest.
    My Dad has voted Leave because he wants Remain to win, but not by very much!
    I guess there's some logic in that somewhere, if one were to dig very deep and then dig some more!
    For him it's all about sovereignty - but he's ok (just about) with the current set up. He thinks that a 50.01% victory with Remain would make the EU think very carefully before pursuing further integration. I disagree...

But he's voted Leave anyway (by post). It was mildly amusing the other day when the chairman of the firm (who is a serious Establishment figure) decided not to discuss the referendum as he suspected that he would would be the only pro-remain voice at the table!
    I've heard that view from a lot of people (including @SeanT): they want a 51:49 victory to Remain, because that would (a) make it clear how unhappy we are with the EU project; (b) leave the door open to another referendum if there are significant changes; but also (c) minimise the economic risk.

It's a view I have considerable sympathy with. But wouldn't it simply be easier to have EFTA/EEA as the explicit destination?

Leave has to deliver substantial reductions in immigration. Can't do that with EEA/EFTA.

SO is cynical, but not cynical enough. A re-basing here, a re-categorisation there, a few footnotes expounding some complicated changes in methodology and Ahmed is your British uncle.

Governments have been using those tactics to massage unemployment figures for years.

*edit* For example, just exclude all Commonwealth countries from the immigration figures.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

PlatoSaid said:

Ipsos MORI
    Our latest thinking: Reviewing our methodology and testing different turnout questions ahead of our next poll: https://t.co/2FcN8IU8Lm

Is that what is sometimes referred to as covering all bases?
    Has any pollster kept a methodology for more than two polls?! It's a real tombola.
  • Options
    woody662 said:

Anyone aware of postal vote sampling? Shame it's illegal to put it on here.

Its also illegal to do it although the practice aeems fairly widespread
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    Miss Plato, if you bet on every number you're bound to win roulette [although, of course, your winnings will be exceeded by your loss].
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Mortimer said:

Thanks for another in a long line of interesting threads David - enjoy your hols.

Other than TSE, is anyone here campaigning for Remain?

Depends whether you consider what Scott does as "campaigning". I suspect it's deemed best he doesn't actually go outside and meet voters... Like the Viking Berserker - the one they keep back in the boat. The one who does as much harm to his own side as to the opposition.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

If we take the largest employer, the NHS, they are utterly dependent on immigration. In theory we could be training masses more doctors and nurses and technical staff. In practice we don't - indeed,the current government has CUT nursing training. That, at some level, is undoubtedly because they can get qualified labour more inexpensively from immigration. We could reverse that, if we diverted a bigger chunk of NHS spending to salaries and spent 5-10 years massively increasing training. But in that case either we'd have big cuts in NHS services or a sharply rising NHS budget.

If leaving the EU leads to us investing (through higher taxes) in developing needed skills for our society, then so be it. Twice the PM has faced questions linking cuts to nursing training to the ability of the government to bring in ready-to-go labour.
    I made an out-of-the-box suggestion the other day that the NHS might open, expand or work with training colleges in large non-EU cities like Mumbai or Manila, which would reduce training costs while maintaining standards and allow skilled foreigners an immigration route to the UK. The closed EU and NHS mindsets don't seem to allow this sort of thinking - surely better to try and fail than not to try at all?
    That would be a 10 year project, and does beg the question: Why not just expand medical and nursing schools in the UK? Both are oversubscribed applications at present. Bond bursaries to working for the NHS if needed.
    I meant to make this point during the doctors dispute. My mum was very hostile to the doctors (unfairly in my opinion) because she thinks they should be grateful to have got into medical school. Like you, I would expand medical schools. The problem is that it's expensive - far cheaper to have kids doing social science degrees.

Whatever we think about our EU membership, I think we can agree that there's a lot we would change about this country. The problem, I think, is that our politicians aren't interested in tackling these issues.
  • Options
    F1: just checked. Channel 4 are showing qualifying highlights at 10pm.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Depends whether you consider what Scott does as "campaigning".

Can anyone explain why the Little Englanders are so tetchy this morning?

You're winning! In 2 weeks Bozo will be PM and you can wear your "I agree with Nige" T-Shirt with pride.

There will be street parties. If you get bored, you can play Hunt the TRAITORS who voted Remain.

And no need to worry about trade or housing collapsing.

You can sleep at night cloaked in the warm glow of self-satisfaction.

Cheer up man!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    I wonder if we will see a Vow moment from the Government, if there is in fact anything that can be done to throw a bone to Leave at this point.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Barnesian said:

(snipped)

I suspect that Labour Leavers are more motivated with giving politicians, experts, and the elite in general a bloody nose. Up yours. Driven by anger at not sharing in prosperity and being generally ignored. "Take Control" will resonate with them even though they will be even less in control after Brexit under a right wing government.

I also suspect that a Brexit will lead to a EEA/EFTA arrangement which will be very similar to the present arrangement. The only difference is that it will be more appealing emotionally to some, and it will lead to an extended period of economic uncertainty with more cuts and less jobs for a time. No change to immigration though. It's a false promise that will only reconfirm Labour Leavers contempt for politicians.

Why will we be less in control after Brexit? We will have a government that we, the voters, can hold to account. I'd argue that this will encourage more people to get out & vote.

With overseers in Europe who aren't elected & can't be removed, why should we bother to vote in our national sub-parliament elections that can make no difference?
  • Options

Miss Plato, if you bet on every number you're bound to win roulette [although, of course, your winnings will be exceeded by your loss].

Indeed. This is such an interesting conundrum for pollsters - online gets more candour, but can be infested by the overtly political; phone polls suffer from shy voters, and can't find older voters or those in trades as easily.

I'm not sure we can deduce anything at all, bar the very widest impression of which way the wind is blowing.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Should LEAVE prevail on 23 June, it will be Labour voters wot won it for them. Reflecting Corbyn's decidedly lacklustre level of support for the party's official line as being for REMAIN, the rank and file of their supporters are so far clearly not convinced.

The LEAVE Tories, together with UKIP supporters are nowhere near enough to win it for LEAVE on their own, they need a mighty wodge of Labour voting LEAVERS to push them over the line.

The way the numbers work out could eventually prove to look something like this:

It's fascinating how cross-party the Leave campaign is - I'm sure I've seen posters here using whatever leaflets/signs are most appropriate for their area, irrespective of their own politics.

I'm pushing LabourLeave stuff quite hard. They've a really compelling BS free message. GrassRootsOut have some great nuggets too. VoteLeave are impressing me with video evidence/rapid rebuttals/big announcements.

It is often said that Rupert Murdoch likes to support the winning side and that's certainly a logical stance for a newspaper proprietor to take, i.e. in not wishing to alienate one's readership.
    I suspect there's also a small, probably very small percentage of the electorate who want to back the winner. Even if this percentage is < 1%, this could prove crucial in what looks like a very close contest.
    I guess there's some logic in that somewhere, if one were to dig very deep and then dig some more!
    For him it's all about sovereignty - but he's ok (just about) with the current set up. He thinks that a 50.01% victory with Remain would make the EU think very carefully before pursuing further integration. I disagree...

But he's voted Leave anyway (by post). It was mildly amusing the other day when the chairman of the firm (who is a serious Establishment figure) decided not to discuss the referendum as he suspected that he would would be the only pro-remain voice at the table!
    I've heard that view from a lot of people (including @SeanT): they want a 51:49 victory to Remain, because that would (a) make it clear how unhappy we are with the EU project; (b) leave the door open to another referendum if there are significant changes; but also (c) minimise the economic risk.

It's a view I have considerable sympathy with. But wouldn't it simply be easier to have EFTA/EEA as the explicit destination?
    He'd be very happy with that outcome
    What possible benefit would efta/eea bring?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Thanks for another in a long line of interesting threads David - enjoy your hols.

Other than TSE, is anyone here campaigning for Remain?

Depends whether you consider what Scott does as "campaigning". I suspect it's deemed best he doesn't actually go outside and meet voters... Like the Viking Berserker - the one they keep back in the boat. The one who does as much harm to his own side as to the opposition.
    In all my years on here, I don't think I've ever seen Scott say what line of work he's in. Never really thought about it before.
  • Options
    Mr. Freggles, the equivalent would need to come from the EU, not the UK Government.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

If you get bored, you can play Hunt the TRAITORS who voted Remain.
    Quisling was shot.....
  • Options

Mr. Freggles, the equivalent would need to come from the EU, not the UK Government.

What about "I hear what the public is saying on immigration and I'm using an emergency brake to severely limit immigration*"?

*From outside the EU
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

In all my years on here, I don't think I've ever seen Scott say what line of work he's in. Never really thought about it before.

I get paid by UKIP to post here after my SNP contract ended.

PS Before any smart arse Zoomers get the hump, this is a joke. Oh, shit, this edit is timestamped.
  • Options

Quisling was shot.....

Well, dogs are illegal these day, although once we get our country back we can fix that. With Priti as Home Secretary we can get hanging too

Oh, this is going to be soooooo much fun!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    AnneJGP said:

Barnesian said:

(snipped)

I suspect that Labour Leavers are more motivated with giving politicians, experts, and the elite in general a bloody nose. Up yours. Driven by anger at not sharing in prosperity and being generally ignored. "Take Control" will resonate with them even though they will be even less in control after Brexit under a right wing government.

I also suspect that a Brexit will lead to a EEA/EFTA arrangement which will be very similar to the present arrangement. The only difference is that it will be more appealing emotionally to some, and it will lead to an extended period of economic uncertainty with more cuts and less jobs for a time. No change to immigration though. It's a false promise that will only reconfirm Labour Leavers contempt for politicians.

Why will we be less in control after Brexit? We will have a government that we, the voters, can hold to account. I'd argue that this will encourage more people to get out & vote.

With overseers in Europe who aren't elected & can't be removed, why should we bother to vote in our national sub-parliament elections that can make no difference?
    I doubt it would encourage more people to go out to vote. Most UK constituencies are safe seats. Why bother to vote if that can make no difference?

I'm interested in understanding better the motivation of Labour Leavers. What proportion of the electorate are they? 15%? I've met some in my canvassing. They are angry and aggressive. But though they are loud, they tend in practice not to vote. They say they'll vote, but then they don't.

If 70% of the 15% say they'll vote Leave, but in practice only 40% actually vote, that reduces the Leave vote by 4.5% (15% x (70%-40%)) roughly speaking.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241
    Scott_P said:

PlatoSaid said:

Why do Tories find it impossible to tell the truth.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Scott_P said:

PlatoSaid said:

So what actually is your day job ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

read my PS...
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Despite all the tv and press coverage, I've yet to see a single poster for either side in Harrogate. As for people discussing the issue all I hear at work is a plague on both their houses and not even much of that..

It's really very strange. Perhaps closer to the date people will get more interested, but at the moment, it's very, meh.
  • Options
    Mr. Freggles, it'd need to be plausible, and I think Cameron's credibility is shot. It'd also raise the question of why he hasn't done that already if he was able to do so.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

read my PS...
    Post of the day.

As frustrating as debating with you can be sometimes Scott, your wit always manages to redeem!
  • Options

Mr. Freggles, it'd need to be plausible, and I think Cameron's credibility is shot. It'd also raise the question of why he hasn't done that already if he was able to do so.

Yeah, I'm not sure how effective it would be, but I can see Dave trying it
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,824
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

If it's 51:49 the other way (to Leave) I suspect that's what we'll get.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,244
    Scott_P said:

Can anyone explain why the Little Englanders are so tetchy this morning?

You're winning! In 2 weeks Bozo will be PM and you can wear your "I agree with Nige" T-Shirt with pride.

There will be street parties. If you get bored, you can play Hunt the TRAITORS who voted Remain.

And no need to worry about trade or housing collapsing.

You can sleep at night cloaked in the warm glow of self-satisfaction.

Cheer up man!
    Lol
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,416
    GIN1138 said:

having nightmares from watching Amber Rudd before bed

So, is she a negligee or flannelette kind of gal?
  • Options
    Fantastic clickbait in the Guardian. Apparently, if you're attending a street party for the Queen this weekend you are an imperialist:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/10/queen-elizabeth-90th-birtday-street-parties-middel-class-nationalism-british-empire
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Have fun, all. I'm off on holiday now for a week so am unlikely to be posting again. I've not taken off in a huff or despair - just want to tune out for a while. And yes, it is a huge and important vote (which I'll be back for), but I've not really found it in me to campaign for Remain so my presence won't be missed there as it would be for a regular election.

I'm unlikely to post a piece next Saturday but hope to get another in before the vote.

Have to say I'm glad I'm off - to the Czech Rep and Slovakia - for the last week of this as frankly it's doing my head in.
    Enjoy your holiday
    Slainte
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

GIN1138 said:

Strikes me as more the leather boots and riding crop type
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

AnneJGP said:

Barnesian said:

(snipped)

I doubt it would encourage more people to go out to vote. Most UK constituencies are safe seats. Why bother to vote if that can make no difference?

I'm interested in understanding better the motivation of Labour Leavers. What proportion of the electorate are they? 15%? I've met some in my canvassing. They are angry and aggressive. But though they are loud, they tend in practice not to vote. They say they'll vote, but then they don't.

If 70% of the 15% say they'll vote Leave, but in practice only 40% actually vote, that reduces the Leave vote by 4.5% (15% x (70%-40%)) roughly speaking.
    Every election, we hear why this time it's different.

But those who don't vote, don't vote.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    malcolmg said:

I see football fans from across Europe are taking the chance to sample the delights of the south of France at this time of year & fully embracing the cafe culture!!!!!

EU will be praying that England votes to leave after another 2 weeks of riots
    England fans are no different from Hibernian supported. Apart from the former can pay for themselves. ;)
  • Options

So what actually is your day job ?

Oh, come now, Alan, if you want to play Hunt the TRAITOR you have to at least make is sporting
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    Here is an argument from Richard Dawkins that I think would not go down well with a Labour Leaver though it does with me.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/eu-referendum-richard-dawkins-brexit-23rd-june-ignoramuses
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016

A 'tariff' on imports is not paid for by the provider but by the consumer (via higher-costs). Outwith import-substitution we have to pay-up or go without. [And I am firmly B.O.O.!]

It does however generate a tax windfall for the government which it can then use as it sees fit to cut the cost of living or the cost of running a business in this country.

A depreciation in sterling of the magnitude Remain are inclined to suggest would also offset the tariff for exporters, while European importers would find it harder to sell to the UK as their goods become less price competitive.

Tariffs plus sterling depreciation would be dreadful news for Europe, but would help UK domestic producers in competition with european companies, surely?

If we look back to the time of the Euro, Heseltine and others were arguing precisely the opposite that they argue now - he was arguing that sterling should fall to keep us competitive.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Leave has to deliver substantial reductions in immigration. Can't do that with EEA/EFTA.

Apparently I do need to keep reminding people that this isn't an election, so Leave won't form a government if they win, and hence they won't be in a position to deliver or otherwise.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420

Mr. Observer, yes but if Remain are accepting that those who were wrong about the euro have errant judgement that's to the detriment of Remain far more than Leave.

Possibly. My point is more to those on here who say that the views of anyone who backed the Euro should be discounted. Funnily enough, it doesn't apply to James Dyson - who also shat on British workers when he moved his manufacturing operation to Malaysia, of course.

Read the Wiki-page on Dyson:

UK manufacturing was never a key concern. Are you going to slag-off Advanced RISC Machines next...?

:tumbleweed:
  • Options

England fans are no different from Hibernian supporters

Except Hibs won the cup...
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    Freggles said:

I wonder if we will see a Vow moment from the Government, if there is in fact anything that can be done to throw a bone to Leave at this point.

I think we're going to get an equivalent of some of those "please stay, we love you" letters that the Scots got in the Indy Ref, but with a hint if menace mixed in.

The one from Schauble is likely to be the first of a few of these, I suspect: "Please don't go. We do like you really. All the same, if you do leave, make no mistake, we are going to kick the sh*t out of you".

I vaguely recall something in an article from the English version of Der Spiegel a few days to the effect that Juncker wanted to say something to help persuade the UK to vote to remain, but had been told his intervention would be unlikely to help. But that he might be allowed to intervene in the last week of the campaign if things were going badly for Remain? Or did I get that wrong?
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

Freggles said:

I think we're going to get an equivalent of some of those "please stay, we love you" letters that the Scots got in the Indy Ref, but with a hint if menace mixed in.

The one from Schauble is likely to be the first of a few of these, I suspect: "Please don't go. We do like you really. All the same, if you do leave, make no mistake, we are going to kick the sh*t out of you".

I vaguely recall something in an article from the English version of Der Spiegel a few days to the effect that Juncker wanted to say something to help persuade the UK to vote to remain, but had been told his intervention would be unlikely to help. But that he might be allowed to intervene in the last week of the campaign if things were going badly for Remain? Or did I get that wrong?
    I think we should greatly encourage all interventions by Juncker.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,686

Fantastic clickbait in the Guardian. Apparently, if you're attending a street party for the Queen this weekend you are an imperialist:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/10/queen-elizabeth-90th-birtday-street-parties-middel-class-nationalism-british-empire

'Middel-class' - classic Grauniad
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

The LEAVE Tories, together with UKIP supporters are nowhere near enough to win it for LEAVE on their own, they need a mighty wodge of Labour voting LEAVERS to push them over the line...

Apparently I do need to keep reminding people that this isn't an election, so Leave won't form a government if they win, and hence they won't be in a position to deliver or otherwise.
    Quite. Once we leave, we'll have left.

I know this is not a popular viewpoint, but the Brexit bonus the Tory party will get by leaving is:

- not angering the largely eurosceptic activist base
    - not angering the largely eurosceptic voter base
    - pleasing the c.18% of voters who vote UKIP
    - removing Cameron and Osborne

If Corbo stays in place, Post vote we're going to see 10+ point poll leads.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,416
    edited June 2016

malcolmg said:

I see football fans from across Europe are taking the chance to sample the delights of the south of France at this time of year & fully embracing the cafe culture!!!!!

EU will be praying that England votes to leave after another 2 weeks of riots
    England fans are no different from Hibernian supported. Apart from the former can pay for themselves. ;)
    And the latter have won a trophy within the last 49 years.
  • Options
    Mr. Freggles, a fair point. Things being effective and things being done by Cameron are not necessarily the same thing.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's a somewhat disingenuous distinction as the key roles in the new Tory Government will be taken by leavers. Who will then need to deliver on what the people think they voted for, which is a massive reduction in immigration.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

Freggles said:

Can't remember where it was - but I've read the same article.

Bless his earnestness - he evidently thinks people will listen to him. It will make the QT laugh about Obama's intervention sound quiet....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

If we take the largest employer, the NHS, they are utterly dependent on immigration. In theory we could be training masses more doctors and nurses and technical staff. In practice we don't - indeed,the current government has CUT nursing training. That, at some level, is undoubtedly because they can get qualified labour more inexpensively from immigration. We could reverse that, if we diverted a bigger chunk of NHS spending to salaries and spent 5-10 years massively increasing training. But in that case either we'd have big cuts in NHS services or a sharply rising NHS budget.

If leaving the EU leads to us investing (through higher taxes) in developing needed skills for our society, then so be it. Twice the PM has faced questions linking cuts to nursing training to the ability of the government to bring in ready-to-go labour.
    I made an out-of-the-box suggestion the other day that the NHS might open, expand or work with training colleges in large non-EU cities like Mumbai or Manila, which would reduce training costs while maintaining standards and allow skilled foreigners an immigration route to the UK. The closed EU and NHS mindsets don't seem to allow this sort of thinking - surely better to try and fail than not to try at all?
    That would be a 10 year project, and does beg the question: Why not just expand medical and nursing schools in the UK? Both are oversubscribed applications at present. Bond bursaries to working for the NHS if needed.
    Why not cut out funding for deadwood university courses to fund essential public service training?

I would be intrigued to know just how many young people have been encouraged into a mountain of debt to obtain a qualification that offers them very little in real return.

The mis-selling of degrees and university is one of the great scandals of the last fifteen years.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,086
    edited June 2016

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Thanks again for the reply Dr foxinsox.

The project would indeed be more than an election cycle, which illustrates well why having healthcare controlled by politicians doesn't work anywhere else in the world. The NHS could however leverage its massive size on a project like this.

Training bonds could be tied to work visas in the UK after training, rather than initial training, having the initial training / med school in a low-cost country, overseen by NHS staff to ensure medical conformity, *might* be both better and cheaper both for the NHS and the students - a lot of whom come to the UK for a few years in order to support families in India or Philippines.

Expanding med schools in the UK (for UK nationals or those willing to pay *full* cost fees, not everyone in the EU who wants a British education) is of course also desirable.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Here is an argument from Richard Dawkins that I think would not go down well with a Labour Leaver though it does with me.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/eu-referendum-richard-dawkins-brexit-23rd-june-ignoramuses

Couldn't read much of it before it was covered with an ad, but I gather he wants the political elite to be allowed to get on with running us plebs without us interfering. That's the way the EU sees it. Elections, democracy, bah.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2016

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

That's true, but the syllogism goes like this (assuming, which, I don't, Brexit)

- UK voters don't like sustained high levels of immigration
    - The EU enables sustained high levels of immigration
    - Vote to leave the EU

If immigration doesn't fall, irrespective of whose failure it actually _is_, a good chunk of the electorate are going to be furious. Then the world will end. Or there'll be an election, or something. It's at that point that I can't follow the logic.

TL; DR If immigration doesn't fall post Brexit something something something.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

Freggles said:

The reaction to Schauble seems to be Don't You Remember The Last Two Times You Did This.
  • Options
    Both sides can enjoy this

@faisalislam: Defeatism setting in with Remainers ...Metropolitan liberals already planning to secede from a post-Brexit UK... https://t.co/KKF4domjgL

The crucial question, would SeanT join them?
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488

If you haven't read Flexcit, which (by some accounts) the Civil Service are currently using to plan for Brexit, it's worth doing so. However a brief overview of the It gives some of the highlights of EFTA membership would include:

1) Cut out c.75% of the EU legislative corpus
    2) Repatriate fisheries and agricultural policy
    3) Lower overall membership cost, even if we opt back into additional programmes like the Single European Sky and Horizon 2020
    4) 'Emergency brake' on freedom of movement via Articles 112-3
    5) An independent voice on the global regulatory bodies which actually set many of the market standards we're told come from the EU
    6) A veto over some aspects of EU single market legislation
    7) The ability to sign our own trade deals
    8) By leaving the EU, we firmly opt-out of further integration (e.g. the tax harmonisation and European army proposals which have been put on hold until after the referendum). We can then choose to use EFTA as a stepping stone to a looser bilateral deal, or remain there as long as it suits us. However, it puts Britain back in control of its own destiny.

There's a reason the Norwegians oppose EU membership by 70.8% to 17.8%
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's a somewhat disingenuous distinction as the key roles in the new Tory Government will be taken by leavers.
    You sure about that?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Not sure that there is a rabbit to be pulled and not sure that I want one anyway.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Two bags and a machete as a Jamaican mate would say.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,861
    edited June 2016

Also his argument that non-EU immigration is over-restricted and that's the fault of our EU membership doesn't add up. Although there is a theoretical possibility of substitution of non-EU immigration for reduced EU immigration, there is no actual linkage. It also runs contrary to the Leave campaign rhetoric of more control over immigration - ie more restriction.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

AnneJGP said:

alex. said:

Sandpit said:

It's leave's vote to lose now. All the momentum is with them because (sadly but unsurprisingly) the single issue of the campaign is migration and remain have no answer. So far the campaign has traded increasingly ludicrous claim and counter claim with "facts" that patently aren't.

But a lot of people aren't going with their head, they are going with their gut. And that tells them they are unhappy with the status quo, aren't happy with where the country is going, and even if leaving the EU isn't a silver bullet cure all, it's a start. Or at the very least a scream of defiance against an establishment which for two long has offered (as Galloway put it) two cheeks of the same arse.

It'll be leave. It won't be close.

I'm increasingly in agreement with this. The question is how they will react when they discover they've voted for the 'continuity' Tories rather than the 'real' Tories. But still end up with Tories whose fundamental view of the world is free market neoliberalism (with added protection for their own interests, but not yours).

They'll have a vote in the 2020 election.
    Quite. The whole point is that it's for the British people to decide who governs them - and to be able to give the buggers a P45 at the ballot box if we don't like what they do.

Amusingly, the party that might benefit most from this independence would be a centrist liberal party, but the LDs inexplicably love the EU more then the rest of them!
    The Leavers are maintaining a fiction that many of the limitations on what modern Government can achieve are caused by the EU. What will be discovered if we leave is that the EU is often a convenient excuse, and actually the limitations are more a consequence of the globalised world in which we live.
    So the removal of that convenient excuse will render our Governments that much more accountable to the voters.
    Absolutely - without the EU's skirts, our politicians will have to own what happens - and the civil service won't have so much gold-plating to do either.
    One of many benefits. Which is why our civil service are so against it.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr P,

"Metropolitan liberals already planning to secede from a post-Brexit UK."

That's terrible. Whatever shall we do without them telling us how stupid we are, and how clever they are?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    chestnut said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Why not cut out funding for deadwood university courses to fund essential public service training?

I would be intrigued to know just how many young people have been encouraged into a mountain of debt to obtain a qualification that offers them very little in real return.

The mis-selling of degrees and university is one of the great scandals of the last fifteen years.
    Define 'deadwood'. HEFCE funding for teaching in universities is based on a formula which prioritises high cost STEM subjects, including those allied to health. Most courses are expected to rely on funding from tuition fees, not taxation.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr P,

"Metropolitan liberals already planning to secede from a post-Brexit UK."

That's terrible. Whatever shall we do without them telling us how stupid we are, and how clever they are?

Not their problem. When Leavers leave, consequences for the left are of no concern.

Is that not the Brexit logic?
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    FF43 said:

Also his argument that non-EU immigration is over-restricted and that's the fault of our EU membership doesn't add up. Although there is a theoretical possibility of substitution of non-EU immigration for reduced EU immigration, there is no actual linkage. It also runs contrary to the Leave campaign logic of more control over immigration - ie more restriction.
    I think there is truth in this, notwithstanding the large number of unskilled non-EU immigrants that we seem to have. My husband works for a software house and they struggle to get visas for skilled workers from places like India and Thailand. Yet when they advertise for vacancies within the UK they just don't seem to get any response.

• Options

woody662 said:

Representatives of the campaigns are present when postal votes are opened as they arrive. They all try to see the way the votes have been cast as the officials stack them to be counted.

Making general comments on what they see is okay, as has been seen over the past couple of days, but any numbers, whether of the form "60:40 for X" or 500 postal votes for Y so far here" is definitely illegal.

The precident was Kerry McCarthy, Lab candidate in Bristol in 2010, that was definitely illegal although she got only a reprimand - but a general warning was issued to candidates.
    http://order-order.com/2010/04/29/exclusive-kerry-mccarthy-illegal-postal-votes-tweets/
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Freggles said:

Not sure that there is a rabbit to be pulled and not sure that I want one anyway.
    Juncker and Merkel promise us fresh 'sympathetic' negotiations if we vote to remain.

Of course that will fool no one as the UK was ripped off for £5 billion for having a 'sympathetic review' of the CAP and it was found "That we have got it just about right".
  • Options

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Cost
    Sovereignty
    Ability to limit immigration (through a sensible market based mechanism)
    No longer in CAP/CFP
    No negative impact on British businesses
    Ability to have our own trade deals
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Free-ish trade without the political institutions
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    It's weird for Schauble as for the last few years he has been dealing with nations going cap in hand to Germany needing a bailout while simultaneously wanting a change. He has quite frankly and rightly been the loudest advocate for the notion "beggars can't be choosers" and that if eg the Greeks want German cash then the German conditions are non negotiable.

The UK is in the very different position. We aren't the ones demanding money we are the ones paying in. To be fair to Schauble he has acknowledged that and said it is our choice.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Sandpit said:

woody662 said:

Representatives of the campaigns are present when postal votes are opened as they arrive. They all try to see the way the votes have been cast as the officials stack them to be counted.

Making general comments on what they see is okay, as has been seen over the past couple of days, but any numbers, whether of the form "60:40 for X" or 500 postal votes for Y so far here" is definitely illegal.

The precident was Kerry McCarthy, Lab candidate in Bristol in 2010, that was definitely illegal although she got only a reprimand - but a general warning was issued to candidates.
    http://order-order.com/2010/04/29/exclusive-kerry-mccarthy-illegal-postal-votes-tweets/
    So what are these general comments you've been seeing?

Also, is it illegal to quote what someone else has said illegally?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Barnesian said:

AnneJGP said:

Barnesian said:

(snipped)

I think in many cases they don't because "there's no f****** point, they're all the same"

If they believe - rightly or wrongly - this is there one chance to shake things up I think you could be surprised
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    edited June 2016
    "Define deadwood"

It may be subjective, but ... media studies (watching telly), film studies (watching films), most of the arts (self-indulgent), all language courses (English excepted), PPE (trainee politicians), gender studies (walking around Liverpool on a Saturday night, or perhaps not), and indeed anything with studies in the title.

Edit: and of course, sociology, which is only for middle class women with too much time on their hands.
  • Options
    Guido
    According to ORB, 44% of people who voted for Labour at last year’s general election now back @labourleave #Lexit
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

FF43 said:

Also his argument that non-EU immigration is over-restricted and that's the fault of our EU membership doesn't add up. Although there is a theoretical possibility of substitution of non-EU immigration for reduced EU immigration, there is no actual linkage. It also runs contrary to the Leave campaign logic of more control over immigration - ie more restriction.
    I think there is truth in this, notwithstanding the large number of unskilled non-EU immigrants that we seem to have. My husband works for a software house and they struggle to get visas for skilled workers from places like India and Thailand. Yet when they advertise for vacancies within the UK they just don't seem to get any response.

It is always worth remembering that non-EU immigration of 155,000 was more than 50% above the 100,000 limit.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    FF43 said:

Also his argument that non-EU immigration is over-restricted and that's the fault of our EU membership doesn't add up. Although there is a theoretical possibility of substitution of non-EU immigration for reduced EU immigration, there is no actual linkage. It also runs contrary to the Leave campaign rhetoric of more control over immigration - ie more restriction.
    Any knowledgeable Premier League football fan should be able to explain how talented non-EU professionals are declined access to the UK via the work permit system whilst any mediocrity with an EU passport can ply their trade.

No doubt that situation isn't unique to football.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Guido
    According to ORB, 44% of people who voted for Labour at last year’s general election now back @labourleave #Lexit

I don't have confidence in ORB. I didn't believe them when they had whopping great big leads for Remain with 96-97% voting certainties and only 3-4% don't knows, and I don't believe them now.

They are all over the place.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    WTF - Registration website didn't dedupe those already on the electoral roll, so many could get two votes.

And wait for it - the website commissioners said it was *too hard* to include a look-up function to check.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/deadline-chaos-means-200-000-may-be-registered-to-vote-twice-tw5mcbx9q
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Cost
    Sovereignty
    Ability to limit immigration (through a sensible market based mechanism)
    No longer in CAP/CFP
    No negative impact on British businesses
    Ability to have our own trade deals
    And virtually no economic risk.

Win win win.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798

It's weird for Schauble as for the last few years he has been dealing with nations going cap in hand to Germany needing a bailout while simultaneously wanting a change. He has quite frankly and rightly been the loudest advocate for the notion "beggars can't be choosers" and that if eg the Greeks want German cash then the German conditions are non negotiable.

The UK is in the very different position. We aren't the ones demanding money we are the ones paying in. To be fair to Schauble he has acknowledged that and said it is our choice.

Normally I would be sympathetic to the beggars cant be choosers argument, but the Germans were complicit in allowing Greece and others to cheat on their Euro entry criteria in the interest of The Project. Now that it has gone wrong they are trying to wash their hands of their involvement, time to cough up and share some of the pain.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,861
    LucyJones said:

FF43 said:

Exactly so. That's why Cameron's drastic reduction in immigration pledge was dishonest when he made. And it is dishonest now for exactly the same reasons when Gove and others make the same argument for Leave. High immigration is a facet of an open economy in a globalised world. No-one is prepared to admit it.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,301
    AnneJGP said:

Barnesian said:

(snipped)

I think this is one of the great unmade arguments by Leave - especially on the left. Remainers have taken a free shot on "protecting workers' rights" (/farm subsidies/environment/insert favoured subsidy of interest group here) because nasty Brexiteers would bin it off when we left.

Given there'll be another general election before most EU legislation etc is unpicked, there's a real opportunity for politicians of the left and centre to get off their arses and draw up compelling policy platforms which protect those things that people value through domestic policy - or are honest about what the benefits are of losing them. Maternity benefits or four weeks' holiday important to you? Get off your bum on Election Day and stop someone who says ending them will make us more competitive.

We've seen it for decades in local government - denuding it of power and resources means second rate people taking power and shrugging their shoulders because education (police/fire/social care) policy is all made at Westminster. People don't vote, bad decisions are made, cycle repeats. While a lack of resources will restrict the new conurbation mayors (and it's a policy which will create a two-tier system leaving rural areas behind), at least some serious politicians are taking the bait.

Putting some current Euro-competencies back in domestic hands, and some big issues into play in UK elections, would hopefully quickly extinguish a BoJo-Corbyn clown show and bring forward some people who could put together a serious policy platform.

(Or we may have become so bad at politics that the whole thing turns to dust in months :))
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Guido

Pardon my ignorance - what group is running LabourLeave? With a support base like that, it might have a future as an alternative to a too-left-wing-for-many Labour party.
  • Options
    Spoke to my Deutsche Bank director friend last night at a wedding in Stoke Newington last night where he was best man. EU ref came up. He was very dismissive of my warnings about 'covering himself' on Leave, and has just gone in even deeper with another £20k. He's convinced it'll be 56:44 to Remain.

He then got quite animated about the issue of immigration and how ignorant the masses were, and thought we should have even more: 500k-1m net each year. Needless to say, I pointed out I respectfully disagreed.

I should add that a few ales had been consumed. But not exactly a meeting of minds.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    AnneJGP said:

Barnesian said:

Couldn't read much of it before it was covered with an ad, but I gather he wants the political elite to be allowed to get on with running us plebs without us interfering. That's the way the EU sees it. Elections, democracy, bah.
    Unlike brain surgeons or Professors, there's no qualification for being an MP.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

FF43 said:

Any knowledgeable Premier League football fan should be able to explain how talented non-EU professionals are declined access to the UK via the work permit system whilst any mediocrity with an EU passport can ply their trade.

No doubt that situation isn't unique to football.
    Nevertheless, non-EU immigration is 50% above the total target. So, we are clearly going to restrict non EU immigration more in the future.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

LucyJones said:

Freggles said:

Can't remember where it was - but I've read the same article.

Bless his earnestness - he evidently thinks people will listen to him. It will make the QT laugh about Obama's intervention sound quiet....
    Please, please, please can the Remain campaign bring out the big EU guns promising Armageddon if we leave, in the next 12 days. It will be worse than having Major and Blair declare that there will be a war in NI.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Define 'deadwood'. HEFCE funding for teaching in universities is based on a formula which prioritises high cost STEM subjects, including those allied to health. Most courses are expected to rely on funding from tuition fees, not taxation.

Where do students get the money for tuition fees?

Deadwood? Predominantly courses that generate an employment outcome for the graduate that is frequently little or no better than if they had not been asked to part with £30k for them.

I see little discernible change in the calibre of work available to our young people compared to twenty or thirty years ago, yet they are being encouraged to build up small mortgages for the same outcome.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Sandpit said:

woody662 said:

Was disappointed that she was given a caution. Her misbehaviour was noticed by numerous journalists - and quite a few PBers.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

"Define deadwood"

It may be subjective, but ... media studies (watching telly), film studies (watching films), most of the arts (self-indulgent), all language courses (English excepted), PPE (trainee politicians), gender studies (walking around Liverpool on a Saturday night, or perhaps not), and indeed anything with studies in the title.

Edit: and of course, sociology, which is only for middle class women with too much time on their hands.

On that definition you wouldn't save very much public money by cutting them; they're not considered priorities by HEFCE and are funded by the students (assuming, of course, that they pay their loans but even that risk is largely outside the public finances these days).
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    Scott_P said:

Both sides can enjoy this

@faisalislam: Defeatism setting in with Remainers ...Metropolitan liberals already planning to secede from a post-Brexit UK... https://t.co/KKF4domjgL

The crucial question, would SeanT join them?

The brilliant thing is that they will then face secessionist movements from parts of greater London that did vote Brexit.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

PlatoSaid said:

Guido

Pardon my ignorance - what group is running LabourLeave? With a support base like that, it might have a future as an alternative to a too-left-wing-for-many Labour party.
    John Mills of JMC shopping fame is the chair.

http://www.labourleave.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Leave
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    FF43 said:

LucyJones said:

FF43 said:

Exactly so. That's why Cameron's drastic reduction in immigration pledge was dishonest when he made. And it is dishonest now for exactly the same reasons when Gove and others make the same argument for Leave. High immigration is a facet of an open economy in a globalised world. No-one is prepared to admit it.
    No it isn't.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited June 2016
    Clever or tasteless who can tell... I know what I think.

Simon Richards Retweeted
    Malcolm Carter ‏@MalcCarter · 33m33 minutes ago
    Expect hysterical deceitful #Remain to claim these guys fought and died for a European Superstate #VoteLeave #EUref

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkqTVzWWgAAmI5X.jpg:large

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

WTF - Registration website didn't dedupe those already on the electoral roll, so many could get two votes.

And wait for it - the website commissioners said it was *too hard* to include a look-up function to check.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/deadline-chaos-means-200-000-may-be-registered-to-vote-twice-tw5mcbx9q

Genuine question which I've always wondered about - how, if at all, does anyone check that someone hasn't voted twice? For example a student registered at home and at college could vote in both locations (one by post or proxy, if distance is an issue). Does anyone bother to check? I suspect I can guess the answer, but does anyone know definitively?
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,930
    edited June 2016
    Just in case anyone's at a loose end this drizzly afternoon: Nigel Farage, Gisela Stuart, Paddy Ashdown and Michael Heseltine are debating in Sutton Coldfield today at 12:00 noon.

Live streaming at: http://www.suttoncoldfieldobserver.co.uk/
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Normally I would be sympathetic to the beggars cant be choosers argument, but the Germans were complicit in allowing Greece and others to cheat on their Euro entry criteria in the interest of The Project. Now that it has gone wrong they are trying to wash their hands of their involvement, time to cough up and share some of the pain.
    Perhaps in an ideal world, but his job is not do do what is "fair". It is not to do the best for the Greeks, or even the best for the EU. His job is to do what is best for Germans and he is doing that to the best of his ability.

If UK leaders past and present had taken such an uncompromising "what is best for my nation" view to their dealings with the rest of Europe then maybe we wouldn't all be so frustrated.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

woody662 said:

So what are these general comments you've been seeing?

Also, is it illegal to quote what someone else has said illegally?
    There were some tweets yesterday that were borderline but clearly legal, referred to on here.

I am not a lawyer so can't comment on the second point, but re-publishing a libel I know has been held up in court. See also the thankfully departed from the scene Sally Bercow.
  • Options
    Chuka on post-Brexit manoeuvres

@mrianleslie: Really interesting, searching interview with @ChukaUmunna by @shattenstone https://t.co/tvLD3Z0Yea
This discussion has been closed.