Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Turnout: the EURef big unknown

Comments

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    One thing that hasn't been much discussed is how a house price fall prompted by Brexit could seriously jeopardise a significant number of major engineering and regeneration projects. Certainly many of the big planned redevelopments in London are in large part funded by Developers through Section 106 agreements and CIL, but these are in turn dependent on continued high levels of property prices. If the property market slumps this could have major knock on effects on development across London and perhaps the country. And won't do anything to help housing shortages.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    PlatoSaid said:

I still can't believe you can get 12/5, this is incredibly close.

There must be a lot of very rich people backing remain.

That is what I suspected all along.

The Remain strategy was to carpet bomb leave during the long campaign so that people thought it was all over bar the shouting in the short campaign.

I'm convinced people who can afford it putting large sums on remain was part of this to help give a narrative of overwhelming odds in favour of Remain.
    Looking at the whole Remain campaign - it's looking increasingly clear that they intended to annihilate Leave early - then smother the last two weeks with football et al.

Well, that's backfired. Now they're trailing or at best level-pegging and they've nothing left - not even EdM's other kitchen sink.
    Dave's Negotiated Settlement to the EU carved from dry ice?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I agree. Corbyn will own Brexit almost as much as Cameron and Osborne. But he'll be far less concerned. And the party membership will not hold it against him.

Two important points here, also relating to the article from electiondata.

1. There is not actually a solution that we can in any honesty offer on immigration. Not only is free movement an indssoluble part of the free market, and we'll do people on low incomes (and everyone else) a real disservice if we leave that. But also it's primarily a pull issue. Immgrants come because employers want them. That's why we still have 50% of migration from non-EU countries. We could reduce that to zero if we wanted to - but we don't, because the NHS and numerous other employers would be ruined.

That's why the Leave campaign is fundamentally bullshit. If we withdraw, future governments might choose to have different immigrants - more Pakistanis and Chinese, fewer Poles and Bulgarians. But no government *in practice* (as opposed to rhetoric) has shown any sign of wanting to reduce overall immigration seriously, because they're conscious of the huge pull demand, and there's no sign that it will change. (In particular, anyone who thinks that Boris is seriously keen on reducing immigration is deluded.)

2. I really like Corbyn, as you know, and he has huge appeal to 25-30% of the population, typically the young. But he is not the man to mobilise the older WWC anti-immigation Labour/UKIP vote for Remain. Say he somehow persuaded the broadcasters to put him on four debates between now and polling day. Do you think Fred Bloggs in South Shields is going to get more Remain as a result?

Electiondata stops short of saying what he thinks should be done. There's a reason. What the disaffected voters want is not achievable. We can only win them over if we successfully lie to them, as the Tories have been doing for some time. It's both wrong and a mistake, because eventually they figure out they're being lied to, and go for more extreme groups who don't get into government and can therefore promise anything.
    We have enjoyed much higher rates of growth, with much lower levels of immigration, in the recent past.
    Demography isn't your subject, is it, Sean?

It's clearly not yours.
    That's the kind of reply I expected from you. Do you even know what it is?

For the benefit of others: whilst immigration is indeed linked to economic activity, there is a stronger correlation with the need to replace in the workforce those Brits who didn't get born due to easily available contraception and legalised homosexuality - it's Levitt's argument on the drop in US crime rates in a different field of activity.

It may only be for one generation, however, or however long it takes the robots to arrive...
    Not to mention abortion.

Cultures which practice contraception and abortion will inevitably be replaced with cultures that do not.
    No they won't.
    Do the maths
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Perfect Tory example of Remain supporter, I am rich and coining it in , vote remain you peasant losers, oh and buy my foreign made products.

He is advocating Leave...

Put down your prejudice long enough to read the thread Malcolm
    I knew there would be one smart arse Tory, as you will see in my PS
    ROFL

malc when they start wheeling out "prejudice", you know they're bricking it.

Prejudice is just code for" my are arguments are totally unconvincing so it must be your fault."

Slap it up him :-)
    Morning Alan, hope you are well
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

Editing your post after I made mine cos you made an arse of it. Class...

Shame they are timestamped, isn't it?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
    Scott_P said:

If leaving doesn't cause a recession, which it won't

Even the Leave campaign admit there will be an economic hit
    Yes it's called honesty.

The opposite is when remainers can't accept another recession will happen anyway.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Which is madness, when you think rich people may be the ones who lose quit a lot in the financial short term in the event of brexit.

Betting on Leave would actually be a sensible financial hedge for them. I have no idea what is going on.

Its a strange form of groupthink - the unthinkable just can't happen, can it??? At the GE the polls correctly showed the Lib Dems well down in single figures yet the odds favoured a seat haul >25. In hinsight this was never going to happen. Ditto the SNP blowout in Scotland.
    See also Corbyn, his odds were extremely out of kilter with the polling chances coming in. However many refused to believe it would happen even though the polls had him at a very high probability.

Sometimes it is hard to cut out the gut instinct and bias I guess.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

We don't listen to experts...

@faisalislam: 13 Nobel scientists incl Higgs/graphene discoverers say Brexit puts UK science "in jeopardy" -& Leave claims 'naive' https://t.co/0l1BQjM6nE

We don't need no ejucashun.
    You may be closer to the reality than your slightly flippant remark suggests. I'm trying to work out why there is such a class divide on this referendum. We know all the usual stuff around jobs etc but I wonder if the working classes are just much less likely to listen to 'experts', the sort of people who are symbolic of the education system that sneered at them.
    I think people of all classes (but almost certainly especially the working classes) view authority figures with far more cynicism than they used to. There have simply been far too many scandals, as well as high profile miscarriages of justice on the back of "expert evidence."

That's a problem, because experts are often telling the truth, and somebody has to try and govern the country. Scepticism towards authority, rather than cynicism, should be the correct approach.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2016

I know I shouldn't find it funny but "F*** Off [Insert whoever], we're voting leave" is the most gloriously offensive slogan.

:)

Whilst deprecating both the violence and the offensiveness, I am glad that at least the insult is aimed at "Europe" and not at the member country the perpetrators happen to be in.

(edited to add: Good morning, everyone)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,675
    Scott_P said:

Just having to shout louder to drown out the bullshit.

You are indeed drowning in bullshit.

Go outside. Take a walk. You'll fell better. :)
    I'm feeling fine and dandy, with a spring in my step and my hat at a jaunty angle.

But then I'm not having to peddle Remain lies all day, every day....until Brexit Day. Still, not long to go now. Then you can have a long, long walk to assess where it all went so horribly wrong for Remain. And consider how much your constant hectoring of Leavers might just have had a part...
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I agree. Corbyn will own Brexit almost as much as Cameron and Osborne. But he'll be far less concerned. And the party membership will not hold it against him.

1. There is not actually a solution that we can in any honesty offer on immigration. Not only is free movement an indssoluble part of the free market, and we'll do people on low incomes (and everyone else) a real disservice if we leave that. But also it's primarily a pull issue. Immgrants come because employers want them. That's why we still have 50% of migration from non-EU countries. We could reduce that to zero if we wanted to - but we don't, because the NHS and numerous other employers would be ruined.

That's why the Leave campaign is fundamentally bullshit. If we withdraw, future governments might choose to have different immigrants - more Pakistanis and Chinese, fewer Poles and Bulgarians. But no government *in practice* (as opposed to rhetoric) has shown any sign of wanting to reduce overall immigration seriously, because they're conscious of the huge pull demand, and there's no sign that it will change. (In particular, anyone who thinks that Boris is seriously keen on reducing immigration is deluded.)

2. I really like Corbyn, as you know, and he has huge appeal to 25-30% of the population, typically the young. But he is not the man to mobilise the older WWC anti-immigation Labour/UKIP vote for Remain. Say he somehow persuaded the broadcasters to put him on four debates between now and polling day. Do you think Fred Bloggs in South Shields is going to get more Remain as a result?

Electiondata stops short of saying what he thinks should be done. There's a reason. What the disaffected voters want is not achievable. We can only win them over if we successfully lie to them, as the Tories have been doing for some time. It's both wrong and a mistake, because eventually they figure out they're being lied to, and go for more extreme groups who don't get into government and can therefore promise anything.
    We have enjoyed much higher rates of growth, with much lower levels of immigration, in the recent past.

It's clearly not yours.

For the benefit of others: whilst immigration is indeed linked to economic activity, there is a stronger correlation with the need to replace in the workforce those Brits who didn't get born due to easily available contraception and legalised homosexuality - it's Levitt's argument on the drop in US crime rates in a different field of activity.

It may only be for one generation, however, or however long it takes the robots to arrive...
    Not to mention abortion.

Cultures which practice contraception and abortion will inevitably be replaced with cultures that do not.
    Cocaine for horses, not for men
    Preacher say it kill you but he don't know when...

Actually, you could just as well say "cultures that let women vote will inevitably be replaced..." - and it would be even more conservative!

• Options
    Put another way:

Fuck off, Scott, I'm voting Leave.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,970

The Remain strategy was to carpet bomb leave during the long campaign so that people thought it was all over bar the shouting in the short campaign.

I'm convinced people who can afford it putting large sums on remain was part of this to help give a narrative of overwhelming odds in favour of Remain.
    Given that Betfair alone have almost £23m matched on the straight remain/leave market, any serious manipulation must be costing someone in the high tens of millions.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Perfect Tory example of Remain supporter, I am rich and coining it in , vote remain you peasant losers, oh and buy my foreign made products.

ROFL

Prejudice is just code for" my are arguments are totally unconvincing so it must be your fault."

Yes malc, village fete today so I shall be manning the book stall as ever. Looks like rain though so I could be on the paper mache stall by the end of the afternoon :-)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Put another way:

Like I said, tetchy...
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's clearly not yours.

Not to mention abortion.

Actually, you could just as well say "cultures that let women vote will inevitably be replaced..." - and it would be even more conservative!

It would be wrong though.

If I have 5 kids (which I actually do) and they all have five kids, within 50 years I have replaced myself with 12.5 voters

If you have one kid and he in turn has one kid then within 50 years you have replaced yourself with 1/4 of a voter.

A ratio of 50:1
  • Options

Put another way:

Go easy Mark, Scott's still not made his mind up yet :-)
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,511
    Have fun, all. I'm off on holiday now for a week so am unlikely to be posting again. I've not taken off in a huff or despair - just want to tune out for a while. And yes, it is a huge and important vote (which I'll be back for), but I've not really found it in me to campaign for Remain so my presence won't be missed there as it would be for a regular election.

I'm unlikely to post a piece next Saturday but hope to get another in before the vote.
  • Options

Have fun, all. I'm off on holiday now for a week so am unlikely to be posting again. I've not taken off in a huff or despair - just want to tune out for a while. And yes, it is a huge and important vote (which I'll be back for), but I've not really found it in me to campaign for Remain so my presence won't be missed there as it would be for a regular election.

I'm unlikely to post a piece next Saturday but hope to get another in before the vote.

Have a good holiday.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It's leave's vote to lose now. All the momentum is with them because (sadly but unsurprisingly) the single issue of the campaign is migration and remain have no answer. So far the campaign has traded increasingly ludicrous claim and counter claim with "facts" that patently aren't.

But a lot of people aren't going with their head, they are going with their gut. And that tells them they are unhappy with the status quo, aren't happy with where the country is going, and even if leaving the EU isn't a silver bullet cure all, it's a start. Or at the very least a scream of defiance against an establishment which for two long has offered (as Galloway put it) two cheeks of the same arse.

It'll be leave. It won't be close.

I'm increasingly in agreement with this. The question is how they will react when they discover they've voted for the 'continuity' Tories rather than the 'real' Tories. But still end up with Tories whose fundamental view of the world is free market neoliberalism (with added protection for their own interests, but not yours).

They'll have a vote in the 2020 election.
    Quite. The whole point is that it's for the British people to decide who governs them - and to be able to give the buggers a P45 at the ballot box if we don't like what they do.

Amusingly, the party that might benefit most from this independence would be a centrist liberal party, but the LDs inexplicably love the EU more then the rest of them!
    The Leavers are maintaining a fiction that many of the limitations on what modern Government can achieve are caused by the EU. What will be discovered if we leave is that the EU is often a convenient excuse, and actually the limitations are more a consequence of the globalised world in which we live.
  • Options

Enjoy yourself. I'm spending far too long on here

(you probably ought to autorepost this every hour all day or people won't see this and will start conspriacy theories that you have gone off in a huff.
  • Options
    alex. said:

One thing that hasn't been much discussed is how a house price fall prompted by Brexit could seriously jeopardise a significant number of major engineering and regeneration projects. Certainly many of the big planned redevelopments in London are in large part funded by Developers through Section 106 agreements and CIL, but these are in turn dependent on continued high levels of property prices. If the property market slumps this could have major knock on effects on development across London and perhaps the country. And won't do anything to help housing shortages.

You mean people in Scotland/ rest of England will have to spend less rebuilding London , if ever I heard a reason to vote Leave that one is the topper. I knew I was voting leave for a good reason.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

alex. said:

You mean people in Scotland/ rest of England will have to spend less rebuilding London , if ever I heard a reason to vote Leave that one is the topper. I knew I was voting leave for a good reason.
    No they'll have to spend more, because the developers won't be there to do it instead.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited June 2016

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Should LEAVE prevail on 23 June, it will be Labour voters wot won it for them. Reflecting Corbyn's decidedly lacklustre level of support for the party's official line as being for REMAIN, the rank and file of their supporters are so far clearly not convinced.

The LEAVE Tories, together with UKIP supporters are nowhere near enough to win it for LEAVE on their own, they need a mighty wodge of Labour voting LEAVERS to push them over the line.

The way the numbers work out could eventually prove to look something like this:

Conservative Leavers ..... 60% x 35% = 21.0%
    UKIP Leavers .................. 90% x 15% = 13.5%
    Labour Leavers ............... 45% x 30% = 13.5%
    Other Parties' Leavers ..... 15% x 20% = 3.0%

Total LEAVERS .................................... 51.0%

It's fascinating how cross-party the Leave campaign is - I'm sure I've seen posters here using whatever leaflets/signs are most appropriate for their area, irrespective of their own politics.

I'm pushing LabourLeave stuff quite hard. They've a really compelling BS free message. GrassRootsOut have some great nuggets too. VoteLeave are impressing me with video evidence/rapid rebuttals/big announcements.

I don't want to believe the polling - but the trend seems to be coming our way.
    It is often said that Rupert Murdoch likes to support the winning side and that's certainly a logical stance for a newspaper proprietor to take, i.e. in not wishing to alienate one's readership.
    I suspect there's also a small, probably very small percentage of the electorate who want to back the winner. Even if this percentage is < 1%, this could prove crucial in what looks like a very close contest.
    My Dad has voted Leave because he wants Remain to win, but not by very much!
    Oh dear.
    He's actually fine with leave as well :)

Given that Heath very nearly brought him into his government as a GOAT (my Dad decided he didn't want the publicity) that's quite a turn around!
    Goat?
    Coined by Brown so anchronistic (Heath called them Young Turks) Stands for "government of all the talents" - bringing in non politicians to government
  • Options
    alex. said:

Sandpit said:

It's leave's vote to lose now. All the momentum is with them because (sadly but unsurprisingly) the single issue of the campaign is migration and remain have no answer. So far the campaign has traded increasingly ludicrous claim and counter claim with "facts" that patently aren't.

But a lot of people aren't going with their head, they are going with their gut. And that tells them they are unhappy with the status quo, aren't happy with where the country is going, and even if leaving the EU isn't a silver bullet cure all, it's a start. Or at the very least a scream of defiance against an establishment which for two long has offered (as Galloway put it) two cheeks of the same arse.

I'm increasingly in agreement with this. The question is how they will react when they discover they've voted for the 'continuity' Tories rather than the 'real' Tories. But still end up with Tories whose fundamental view of the world is free market neoliberalism (with added protection for their own interests, but not yours).

Quite. The whole point is that it's for the British people to decide who governs them - and to be able to give the buggers a P45 at the ballot box if we don't like what they do.

Amusingly, the party that might benefit most from this independence would be a centrist liberal party, but the LDs inexplicably love the EU more then the rest of them!
    The Leavers are maintaining a fiction that many of the limitations on what modern Government can achieve are caused by the EU. What will be discovered if we leave is that the EU is often a convenient excuse, and actually the limitations are more a consequence of the globalised world in which we live.
    The fiction is that governments can do half the things they claim they can do. This has northing to do with Leave or Remain but is a fiction of the whole political class.

maybe if they just promised less and did a few essential things well we'd have a better functioning state.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

ROFL

Yes malc, village fete today so I shall be manning the book stall as ever. Looks like rain though so I could be on the paper mache stall by the end of the afternoon :-)
    LOL
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Should LEAVE prevail on 23 June, it will be Labour voters wot won it for them. Reflecting Corbyn's decidedly lacklustre level of support for the party's official line as being for REMAIN, the rank and file of their supporters are so far clearly not convinced.

The LEAVE Tories, together with UKIP supporters are nowhere near enough to win it for LEAVE on their own, they need a mighty wodge of Labour voting LEAVERS to push them over the line.

The way the numbers work out could eventually prove to look something like this:

It's fascinating how cross-party the Leave campaign is - I'm sure I've seen posters here using whatever leaflets/signs are most appropriate for their area, irrespective of their own politics.

I'm pushing LabourLeave stuff quite hard. They've a really compelling BS free message. GrassRootsOut have some great nuggets too. VoteLeave are impressing me with video evidence/rapid rebuttals/big announcements.

It is often said that Rupert Murdoch likes to support the winning side and that's certainly a logical stance for a newspaper proprietor to take, i.e. in not wishing to alienate one's readership.
    I suspect there's also a small, probably very small percentage of the electorate who want to back the winner. Even if this percentage is < 1%, this could prove crucial in what looks like a very close contest.
    Oh dear.
    He's actually fine with leave as well :)

Given that Heath very nearly brought him into his government as a GOAT (my Dad decided he didn't want the publicity) that's quite a turn around!
    Goat?
    Coined by Brown so anchronistic (Heath called them Young Turks) Stands for "government of all the talents" - bringing in non politicians to government
    LOL - I was thinking of Bringing Turkey into it when I saw Goat for entirely different reasons.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

"Immigrants come because employers want them"

But, why is it the job of the Labour Party to be at the beck and call of employers?

I am not surprised that employers want a large pool of labour, because that is how wages and conditions are kept low.

If employers asked the Labour party to go lie down in the middle of the M25, you wouldn't do it, would you?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited June 2016
    malcolmg said:

alex. said:

are u a Leaver? I thought u support Scottish independence. Out of both unions....atleast it's consistent.
  • Options

Enjoy, David, and many thanks for the interesting articles you produce so regularly.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    alex. said:

Sandpit said:

So if we leave the excuse will be removed. Sounds healthy, what is objectionable about that?
  • Options
    alex. said:

Sandpit said:

So the removal of that convenient excuse will render our Governments that much more accountable to the voters.
  • Options

alex. said:

Sandpit said:

The fiction is that governments can do half the things they claim they can do. This has northing to do with Leave or Remain but is a fiction of the whole political class.

maybe if they just promised less and did a few essential things well we'd have a better functioning state.
    When a major plank of the Leave argument is "take back control" it has everything to do with the referendum though. What's going on in Wales is a prime example, of which what happened at Port Talbot must be having a major effect. Which really was little to do with the EU, and to the extent that it was was the result of British Government lobbying against protections which might otherwise have been put forward.

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

ROFL

Lucky you! The Peppa Pig travelling fair has come to our town so i have to go there...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's clearly not yours.

Not to mention abortion.

If I have 5 kids (which I actually do) and they all have five kids, within 50 years I have replaced myself with 12.5 voters

If you have one kid and he in turn has one kid then within 50 years you have replaced yourself with 1/4 of a voter.

That is some discount rate! Like most 67-year-olds, fifty years' time I find somewhat academic. And it's a lot easier to father five times than it is to have five pregnancies, which is why I stand by my paraphrase. Some women like to be pregnant; rather more don't. The more choice a culture gives them, the fewer - in total - they give birth to.

Correction to my earlier quote: it was the doctor, not the preacher, who "don't know when".

• Options
    Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

I guess there's some logic in that somewhere, if one were to dig very deep and then dig some more!
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

ROFL

Lucky you! The Peppa Pig travelling fair has come to our town so i have to go there...
    Ah the joys of fatherhood.

They'll be teenagers soon enough and then they'll be hiding from you !
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's clearly not yours.

Obviously I know what is, and I'd dispute your assertion.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's clearly not yours.

Obviously I know what is, and I'd dispute your assertion.
    If you think Levitt is wrong, please post a link - perhaps you've explained it on his blog :o

• Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

Sandpit said:

When a major plank of the Leave argument is "take back control" it has everything to do with the referendum though. What's going on in Wales is a prime example, of which what happened at Port Talbot must be having a major effect. Which really was little to do with the EU, and to the extent that it was was the result of British Government lobbying against protections which might otherwise have been put forward.

Cameron and Osborne decided to suck up to the Chinese and said stuff the steel industry. That's simply an example of a country ( us ) using the EU infrastructure to piss everyone else off. It could just as easily have been France on farming, Germany on cars or Poland on pierogi.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,189
    @NickPalmer - if Jeremy Corbyn is seriously the best the Labour left can do, then things are even worse than I thought. What a golden opportunity for the left of the party your support for JC is squandering. If, that is, power really is something you are genuinely interested in.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,355
    How about a compromise?

London, NI and Scotland Remain, and the rest of us Leave.
  • Options

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

I guess there's some logic in that somewhere, if one were to dig very deep and then dig some more!
    I don't know - I think everyone should vote Leave for that reason.
  • Options
    alex. said:

malcolmg said:

alex. said:

No they'll have to spend more, because the developers won't be there to do it instead.

Can I suggest you study a book on economics 101 - supply and demand.
  • Options

Yep, Brexit will clearly deliver huge disappointments to a lot of people, particularly with regards to wage growth and immigration. The right will be happy, though, as we'll see more public services cut and greater restrictions on workers' rights.

• Options
    alex. said:

malcolmg said:

alex. said:

the vulture speculators sucking up our money you mean to benefit themselves and their buddies. If it is so great let them spend their own money instead of sucking the public dry. far too much spent there to the detriment of the rest of the country.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Put another way:

:smiley:

What's Leave looking like down your way?
  • Options

As far as a strategy it probably makes sense trying to create the feeling that remain are far ahead with Bookmakers.

I know many people who say "look where the money is, bookies always know".

Which is obviously BS, bookies tend to just try balance their books they aren't generally predictors. However many people think they do predict events.
    If bookies DID know, they would place bets with other bookies.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,460

Have to say I'm glad I'm off - to the Czech Rep and Slovakia - for the last week of this as frankly it's doing my head in.
  • Options

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    See you soon, Mr. Herdson.
  • Options

Not to mention abortion.

Your fatal mistake in your logic is assuming that your kids, let alone grandkids, will believe what you do. If that was the case we'd never have any progress in science, education or culture and we'd still be in a backwards community where contraception and abortion etc are forbidden. Those who believe in allowing contraception and abortion today have ancestors (if not direct parents or grandparents) who do or did not.

Instead look at the real world and the extreme cultures you've described are antiquated, they've been replaced in the west by those who practice differently. I could name lots of nations where abortion was illegal but is no longer illegal, can you name any that has gone the other way around.
  • Options
    Leave in to 3.3 on Betfair...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Put another way:

Hard to judge. There must be at least one fired-up Remainer, because they go around trashing the Leave posters overnight, but other than that, Remain are quite invisible. Not seen a single poster for Remain yet down here in Devon.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    CD13 said:

How about a compromise?

I think the most amusing result would be Remain by < 20 k.

Because Gibraltar (largely Remain) would have determined the result.
  • Options

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

ROFL

Ah the joys of fatherhood.

They'll be teenagers soon enough and then they'll be hiding from you !
    Or pretend not to know you in the street.
  • Options

Not to mention abortion.

Your fatal mistake in your logic is assuming that your kids, let alone grandkids, will believe what you do. If that was the case we'd never have any progress in science, education or culture and we'd still be in a backwards community where contraception and abortion etc are forbidden. Those who believe in allowing contraception and abortion today have ancestors (if not direct parents or grandparents) who do or did not.

Instead look at the real world and the extreme cultures you've described are antiquated, they've been replaced in the west by those who practice differently. I could name lots of nations where abortion was illegal but is no longer illegal, can you name any that has gone the other way around.
    Explain why generations of people vote tribally for Tory or Labour then?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

alex. said:

Sandpit said:

So the removal of that convenient excuse will render our Governments that much more accountable to the voters.
    Absolutely - without the EU's skirts, our politicians will have to own what happens - and the civil service won't have so much gold-plating to do either.
  • Options

CD13 said:

How about a compromise?

I think the most amusing result would be Remain by < 20 k.

Because Gibraltar (largely Remain) would have determined the result.
    Which is funny - because those people most likely to stand up for Gibraltar against the Spanish are the Leavers.

(And of course if the result <20K there could be a legal challenge re extending voter registration and abuse of Government funds to target specific areas of population to register)
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Enjoy, David, and many thanks for the interesting articles you produce so regularly.
    Seconded - have a great holiday David and many thanks for all your threads for PB.co which are greatly appreciated.

Not least your piece this morning and your somewhat brave forecast, imho, that the referendum turnout will be 62%-64% when most seem to be going for an appreciably higher figure.

This has reinforced my view that Ladbrokes' offering of 11/8 that turnout will be within the range of 60% - 70% probably represents the best political bet going right now.

As ever, DYOR.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Put another way:

Hard to judge. There must be at least one fired-up Remainer, because they go around trashing the Leave posters overnight, but other than that, Remain are quite invisible. Not seen a single poster for Remain yet down here in Devon.
    Symptomatic of Remain panic. It shows everywhere.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

alex. said:

Sandpit said:

Asking people to vote for you so they can find out you're wrong is pretty peculiar.

• Options

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

For him it's all about sovereignty - but he's ok (just about) with the current set up. He thinks that a 50.01% victory with Remain would make the EU think very carefully before pursuing further integration. I disagree...

But he's voted Leave anyway (by post). It was mildly amusing the other day when the chairman of the firm (who is a serious Establishment figure) decided not to discuss the referendum as he suspected that he would would be the only pro-remain voice at the table!
  • Options

Have to say I'm glad I'm off - to the Czech Rep and Slovakia - for the last week of this as frankly it's doing my head in.
    Enjoy your holiday
  • Options
    F1: practice is 3-4pm, and qualifying starts at 6pm. Not sure if it's on Channel 4 live.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's clearly not yours.

Not to mention abortion.

That is some discount rate! Like most 67-year-olds, fifty years' time I find somewhat academic. And it's a lot easier to father five times than it is to have five pregnancies, which is why I stand by my paraphrase. Some women like to be pregnant; rather more don't. The more choice a culture gives them, the fewer - in total - they give birth to.

Correction to my earlier quote: it was the doctor, not the preacher, who "don't know when".

This issue is already causing a huge and growing crisis for Israel though as the reproduction rate of Muslims and Ultra Orthodox Jews is far outstripping the birth rate of the Secular western Jews who have always run the place since 1948.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/israels-internal-demographics-disaster-13501
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784
    Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

For him it's all about sovereignty - but he's ok (just about) with the current set up. He thinks that a 50.01% victory with Remain would make the EU think very carefully before pursuing further integration. I disagree...

But he's voted Leave anyway (by post). It was mildly amusing the other day when the chairman of the firm (who is a serious Establishment figure) decided not to discuss the referendum as he suspected that he would would be the only pro-remain voice at the table!
    I've heard that view from a lot of people (including @SeanT): they want a 51:49 victory to Remain, because that would (a) make it clear how unhappy we are with the EU project; (b) leave the door open to another referendum if there are significant changes; but also (c) minimise the economic risk.

It's a view I have considerable sympathy with. But wouldn't it simply be easier to have EFTA/EEA as the explicit destination?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,417
    weejonnie said:

Be interesting to see where it goes when/if we get some polls this evening for the Sundays.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @PlatoSaid:

'What's Leave looking like down your way? '

From the number of Leave posters seen in East Sussex last week the EU is not the flavor of the month down there.
  • Options

Not to mention abortion.

Explain why generations of people vote tribally for Tory or Labour then?
    Do they?
    Oct 74 Lab 11.457mn, Con 10.463mn
    1983 Con 13.012mn (+24.4%), Lab 8.457mn (-19.2%)
    1992 Con 14.093mn (+8.3%), Lab 11.560mn (+36.7%)
    1997 Lab 13.518mn (+16.9%, +59.8% since 83), Con 9.600mn (-31.9%)
    2010 Con 10.704mn (+11.5%, +28.1% since 01), Lab (-36.3%)

We get very dramatic swings in less than a generation all the time. The idea anyone only ever votes the way their grandad did is absurd.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,412

"Immigrants come because employers want them"

But, why is it the job of the Labour Party to be at the beck and call of employers?

I am not surprised that employers want a large pool of labour, because that is how wages and conditions are kept low.

If employers asked the Labour party to go lie down in the middle of the M25, you wouldn't do it, would you?

First, we're not debating my personal views here. As I've said, I like the EU, I think we belong there, and we'd be nuts to leave. But I'm not the issue.

But no rational government is actually against employers per se. If we take the largest employer, the NHS, they are utterly dependent on immigration. In theory we could be training masses more doctors and nurses and technical staff. In practice we don't - indeed,the current government has CUT nursing training. That, at some level, is undoubtedly because they can get qualified labour more inexpensively from immigration. We could reverse that, if we diverted a bigger chunk of NHS spending to salaries and spent 5-10 years massively increasing training. But in that case either we'd have big cuts in NHS services or a sharply rising NHS budget.

In inudstry, the situation is slightly different. The problem is that the availability of cheap labour has made automation less attractive, so investment is at pathetic levels - summarised by the Economist headline "Let's try to catch up with Upper Volta".

The point is not what you or I think should be done, but what will actually happen. Do you see any plausible government actually changing this any time soon? I don't, which is why the whole "enable us to curb migration" argument is built on deception.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

I've heard that view from a lot of people (including @SeanT): they want a 51:49 victory to Remain, because that would (a) make it clear how unhappy we are with the EU project; (b) leave the door open to another referendum if there are significant changes; but also (c) minimise the economic risk.

It's a view I have considerable sympathy with. But wouldn't it simply be easier to have EFTA/EEA as the explicit destination?

Leave has to deliver substantial reductions in immigration. Can't do that with EEA/EFTA.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

He'd be very happy with that outcome
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Not to mention abortion.

. I could name lots of nations where abortion was illegal but is no longer illegal, can you name any that has gone the other way around.
    Certain US states are doing their darnedest. As a guess somewhere in the Middle or Far East that has done from a Secular to Christian or Islamic government in the last 30 years may have banned abortion.
    Edit: Chile, 1989
    https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/this-country-banned-abortion-and-now-abortion-promoters-cant-believe-their
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's clearly not yours.

Not to mention abortion.

PS - I'd disagree about the much easier to father them. It dosen't end when you have bought them into existence. Its just beginning. Personally I would have preffered to quit at three but she who must be obeyed had other ideas :-)

Wouldn't be without them though.
  • Options
    Ipsos MORI
    Our latest thinking: Reviewing our methodology and testing different turnout questions ahead of our next poll: https://t.co/2FcN8IU8Lm
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,060

weejonnie said:

Be interesting to see where it goes when/if we get some polls this evening for the Sundays.
    If it drifts out again, people should pile in. I'm voting Remain but my betting position is heavyweight on Leave.

50/50 call still...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    edited June 2016
    Morning all,

Tried to have a good nights sleep but kept waking up in a cold sweat after having nightmares from watching Amber Rudd before bed.

Good lord that's one scary lady! :smiley:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Not to mention abortion.

. I could name lots of nations where abortion was illegal but is no longer illegal, can you name any that has gone the other way around.
    Certain US states are doing their darnedest. As a guess somewhere in the Middle or Far East that has done from a Secular to Islamic government in the last 30 years may have banned abortion.
    To be fair in the States that's because they never actually wanted abortion legalising but it was forced upon them by SCOTUS. So the culture has never flipped back.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,523

If we take the largest employer, the NHS, they are utterly dependent on immigration. In theory we could be training masses more doctors and nurses and technical staff. In practice we don't - indeed,the current government has CUT nursing training. That, at some level, is undoubtedly because they can get qualified labour more inexpensively from immigration. We could reverse that, if we diverted a bigger chunk of NHS spending to salaries and spent 5-10 years massively increasing training. But in that case either we'd have big cuts in NHS services or a sharply rising NHS budget.

If leaving the EU leads to us investing (through higher taxes) in developing needed skills for our society, then so be it. Twice the PM has faced questions linking cuts to nursing training to the ability of the government to bring in ready-to-go labour.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Not to mention abortion.

Certain US states are doing their darnedest. As a guess somewhere in the Middle or Far East that has done from a Secular to Islamic government in the last 30 years may have banned abortion.
    To be fair in the States that's because they never actually wanted abortion legalising but it was forced upon them by SCOTUS. So the culture has never flipped back.
    True. I did edit my previous post though, Chile banned previously legal abortion in 1989.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    GIN1138 said:

Morning all,

Tried to have a good nights sleep but kept waking up in a cold sweat after having nightmares from watching Amber Rudd before bed.

Good lord that's one scary lady! :smiley:

She didn't even deliver her prepared lines that well.

Shouty yes, scary, nah.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    Thanks for another in a long line of interesting threads David - enjoy your hols.

Other than TSE, is anyone here campaigning for Remain?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Good morning all. Firstly, thanks to David for another quality article; hope you enjoy your holiday!

Secondly, Mr Dancer referenced Lord Lisvane earlier. Here's the apposite quote:

" I think that action at this stage will depend on the margin of the referendum vote. If the result is narrow and the turnout is low then the possibilities become a lot more complicated. Remember that the outcome of the Scottish independence referendum was 55.3 per cent No, 44.7 per cent Yes, on an extremely high turnout of 84.59 per cent. If the result on June 23 was, say, 51 to 49 in favour of Leave on a turnout of 55 per cent then that would move quite a lot of goalposts – especially if Scotland had voted to stay and England to leave. The Prime Minister could say that such a result is not sufficiently decisive and so we will negotiate heads of agreement on withdrawal, and then have a second referendum to decide whether to trigger the exit process on that basis."

He raises an interesting point. The politics of a close Brexit are fascinating.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

If we take the largest employer, the NHS, they are utterly dependent on immigration. In theory we could be training masses more doctors and nurses and technical staff. In practice we don't - indeed,the current government has CUT nursing training. That, at some level, is undoubtedly because they can get qualified labour more inexpensively from immigration. We could reverse that, if we diverted a bigger chunk of NHS spending to salaries and spent 5-10 years massively increasing training. But in that case either we'd have big cuts in NHS services or a sharply rising NHS budget.

If leaving the EU leads to us investing (through higher taxes) in developing needed skills for our society, then so be it. Twice the PM has faced questions linking cuts to nursing training to the ability of the government to bring in ready-to-go labour.
    I made an out-of-the-box suggestion the other day that the NHS might open, expand or work with training colleges in large non-EU cities like Mumbai or Manila, which would reduce training costs while maintaining standards and allow skilled foreigners an immigration route to the UK. The closed EU and NHS mindsets don't seem to allow this sort of thinking - surely better to try and fail than not to try at all?
  • Options
    Mr. M, thanks for that quote.

It's something I predicted a few weeks ago could happen if Leave win. I suspect the Conservative Party would rather kill off Cameron than let him do that, though.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Ipsos MORI
    Our latest thinking: Reviewing our methodology and testing different turnout questions ahead of our next poll: https://t.co/2FcN8IU8Lm

Is that what is sometimes referred to as covering all bases?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Ipsos MORI

Is that what is sometimes referred to as covering all bases?
    Two weeks out, that's saying "We don't have a f***ing clue!"
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,063
    55/45 still the minimum in my view... now, to work.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420

I imagine our definitions of right wing are very different. They believe in reducing the taxes of the best off, cutting public services, restricting trade union rights and shrinking the size of the state. That's right wing in my book.

I thought Karl Marx designed the ultimate theory for the abolition of the state. So Marxism is 'right-wing'...?

:tumbleweed:
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,523
    Just catching up on Question Time. What I hadn't seen on here is Eddie Izzard's suggestion that not only could Scotland leave the UK if we vote to leave, but Wales might follow. He's going to have a nasty shock on June 24 - if the UK as a whole has voted to leave, I think it's very likely that Wales has too.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,096

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Leave has to deliver substantial reductions in immigration. Can't do that with EEA/EFTA.

I suspect that Labour Leavers are more motivated with giving politicians, experts, and the elite in general a bloody nose. Up yours. Driven by anger at not sharing in prosperity and being generally ignored. "Take Control" will resonate with them even though they will be even less in control after Brexit under a right wing government.

I also suspect that a Brexit will lead to a EEA/EFTA arrangement which will be very similar to the present arrangement. The only difference is that it will be more appealing emotionally to some, and it will lead to an extended period of economic uncertainty with more cuts and less jobs for a time. No change to immigration though. It's a false promise that will only reconfirm Labour Leavers contempt for politicians.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

I made an out-of-the-box suggestion the other day that the NHS might open, expand or work with training colleges in large non-EU cities like Mumbai or Manila, which would reduce training costs while maintaining standards and allow skilled foreigners an immigration route to the UK. The closed EU and NHS mindsets don't seem to allow this sort of thinking - surely better to try and fail than not to try at all?
    That would be a 10 year project, and does beg the question: Why not just expand medical and nursing schools in the UK? Both are oversubscribed applications at present. Bond bursaries to working for the NHS if needed.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    Anyone aware of postal vote sampling? Shame it's illegal to put it on here.
  • Options
    woody662 said:

Anyone aware of postal vote sampling? Shame it's illegal to put it on here.

Is there a dark web on this?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@PlatoSaid:

'What's Leave looking like down your way? '

From the number of Leave posters seen in East Sussex last week the EU is not the flavor of the month down there.

Dan Hannan's event in Eastbourne had a audience of 1600 - packed out. Even I was a bit surprised by that!
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    There is a flaw in James Dyson logic:

A 'tariff' on imports is not paid for by the provider but by the consumer (via higher-costs). Outwith import-substitution we have to pay-up or go without. [And I am firmly B.O.O.!]
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191

55/45 still the minimum in my view... now, to work.

To who?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

An excellent idea.
This discussion has been closed.