Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited June 2016 in General

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited June 2016
    No more polls tonight, please
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,563
    Test
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Well, if nothing else, I'll savour the moment. Still seems like a dodgy poll though.
  • Options
    With polling like this, the fact you can still get leave at 3.3 is mental.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    SeanT said:

LEAVE should be 5/4 not 2/1

Fill your boots.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    No overusing the Ode to Joy references!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Pipping Toint!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No overusing the Ode to Joy references!

I've got 'Stuck In The Middle With EU' coming up this weekend.
  • Options
    Don't really trust ORB.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Ooh. Cat/Pigeons interface tonight!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    It feels more and more like the groupthink that led to NOM being the favourite in May last year. I still think that it will be remain by a whisker, but certainly there is a better than 30% chance of a leave vote.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Absolutely no surprise.

I remind you all, I am on:

Leave to win - 4/1 (£100)

Leave to win with sub-65% turnout - 7/1 (£100)

Leave to win with 65%+ turnout - 8/1 (£50)

I simply cannot believe these odds were ever available.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited June 2016
    Disfunctional editing:

Less-spamming and more content and our 'lawyer' would be less the butt-of-our-jokes. ;)

OK: Access is via the Vanilla forum (due to post-preference). Story visible via link (but posted by others already).
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016
    OK so REMAIN identify they have a problem with working class Labour voters backing REMAIN. Their solution is to have Ed Miliband at the front of their campaign today. Is Ed really the best person to persuade these voters? FFS
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    FPT: Mr. Mark, well, that was the real reason why Pluto 'isn't a planet anymore'. Ahem :p

On-topic: Ode to Joy always makes me think of Die Hard, the best Christmas film in the world.

Still 13 days to go. No point getting giddy over one poll.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Does anybody know where I can get some bloody labour leave leaflets from? I am willing to pay I want to deliver them in my area to convince Labour voters to swich and this poll seems to say we can get them to.

I've phoned the number on the website but nothing. Please, thanx.
  • Options
    Also, Ipsos Mori have issued a note about the methodological changes for the next poll which goes into the field this weekend, and is out next Wednesday.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/newsevents/latestnews/1775/Statement-on-polling-methodology-and-turnout-tests-in-the-EU-referendum.aspx#.V1r7qbwY7OI.twitter

I would like to give some analysis, but I'm knackered, busy, and really don't want to think about politics/polling/betting/Eu Referendum for one night this week.
  • Options
    I felt years ago, back when I was a reluctant Remainer, that Leave would win, and even argued with pessimistic UKippers, particularly those who felt any referendum would be rigged. I felt that way as I felt the core appeals of Leave only only magnify as the day drew nearer, and had enough big name cheerleaders and media supporters, even if the media overall and the establishment was overwhelmingly for Remain.

I feel like that is still the case. The IndyRef Yessers never had such polling bounty this far out, and even this is an extreme poll, it seems at worst it'll be bloody close.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    SeanT said:

Talking of vows there is one thing the EU can do, offer us a proper emergency brake, where we can temporarily halt immigration when it exceeds some percentage of the population.

It will be illegal, silly, not in the treaties, blah blah, but the EU has a history of just making shit up when things get really hard.

Why not now?

That would still win it for Dave.

I can see the Eurocrats having to work through the weekend (the horror!) to formulate some Associate status to offer us.

Meanwhile, Cameron will be getting some packing cases ordered. And sewing herring into the Downing Street curtains, ready for Boris' arrival....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Talking of vows there is one thing the EU can do, offer us a proper emergency brake, where we can temporarily halt immigration when it exceeds some percentage of the population.

It will be illegal, silly, not in the treaties, blah blah, but the EU has a history of just making shit up when things get really hard.

Why not now?

Depending how many people have postal voted it may already be too late
  • Options
    Labour Voters? TSE
    They've Shafted the EU
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Dr Palmer's canvassing hasn't picked up these dramatic changes. Must be a rogue.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

Where's Mister Nabavi to reassure us, in lofty tones, that it will probably be 70/30 in favour of REMAIN?

He's gone all quiet.

In despair that ca. half of the population have "taken leave" of their senses by listening to the "vapid bilge" of the leave camp I expect!
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, hell yes he is!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Absolutely no surprise.

Leave to win - 4/1 (£100) is by far the best bet of that lot :)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

OK so REMAIN identify they have a problem with working class Labour voters backing REMAIN. Their solution is to have Ed Miliband at the front of their campaign today. Is Ed really the best person to persuade these voters? FFS

The same Mr Miliband who wasn't seen as an electoral asset by same cohort of voters last year?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Why not now?

I can see the Eurocrats having to work through the weekend (the horror!) to formulate some Associate status to offer us.

Meanwhile, Cameron will be getting some packing cases ordered. And sewing herring into the Downing Street curtains, ready for Boris' arrival....
    My view is the French would be glad to get shot of us.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    kle4 said:

I felt years ago, back when I was a reluctant Remainer, that Leave would win, and even argued with pessimistic UKippers, particularly those who felt any referendum would be rigged. I felt that way as I felt the core appeals of Leave only only magnify as the day drew nearer, and had enough big name cheerleaders and media supporters, even if the media overall and the establishment was overwhelmingly for Remain.

I feel like that is still the case. The IndyRef Yessers never had such polling bounty this far out, and even this is an extreme poll, it seems at worst it'll be bloody close.

That Yougov had Yes 51% No 49% and No won 55% to 45%, so on the same swingback Remain would win 51% to 49%
  • Options

FPT: Mr. Mark, well, that was the real reason why Pluto 'isn't a planet anymore'. Ahem :p

On-topic: Ode to Joy always makes me think of Die Hard, the best Christmas film in the world.

Still 13 days to go. No point getting giddy over one poll.

Die Hard is brilliant, but shares the honours for best Christmas film in the world with "Gremlins". Hans Gruber was bad-ass, but he never got to put anybody in a blender....
  • Options

Labour Voters? TSE
    They've Shafted the EU

It's quite funny in some ways that Dave has spent all of his political capital on trying to win over wavering Conservatives and it could be Labour voters that lead us out of the EU door. He has also alienated quite a few members that I know, people who would previously have backed him post-Leave as long as he dumped Osborne and a few others in the remain camp are now turning against him. I think this is why the remain campaign is morphing into the stop Boris campaign.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427

Dr Palmer's canvassing hasn't picked up these dramatic changes. Must be a rogue.

But John Mann's has.
  • Options
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

Why not now?

My view is the French would be glad to get shot of us.
    Denmark and Sweden will follow which means three rich contributor nations are out of the EU.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Absolutely no surprise.

Yep - but I like the 7/1 shot too.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited June 2016
    Surprisingly, Betfair has bounced back a bit:

6pm: Remain 1.35
    After ORB: Remain 1.43
    Now: Remain 1.39
  • Options

But John Mann's has.
    It's at this time of doubt and uncertainty that we need IOS's brilliant insights into the national ground game. Such a loss to the site.
  • Options

But John Mann's has.
    Where's IOS :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Where's Mister Nabavi to reassure us, in lofty tones, that it will probably be 70/30 in favour of REMAIN?

He's gone all quiet.

Suicide watch?
  • Options
    John_M said:

But John Mann's has.
    It's at this time of doubt and uncertainty that we need IOS's brilliant insights into the national ground game. Such a loss to the site.
    LOL! Snap.

PB Tories.. so predicable (yet somehow always right)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Absolutely no surprise.

I'd say that SO has got himself a good haul of bets there!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It feels more and more like the groupthink that led to NOM being the favourite in May last year. I still think that it will be remain by a whisker, but certainly there is a better than 30% chance of a leave vote.

Total Groupthink. I find it extraordinary that Remain remains the favourite. I could never see it.

• Options
    RobD said:

John_M said:

But John Mann's has.
    LOL! Snap.

PB ex-Tory if you don't mind, how very dare you! ;)
  • Options
    Could be as close as the clash between Vitellius and Vespasian.

At the Battle of Bedriacum, the two armies were locked in a very close contest. As dawn broke, the legions of Vespasian, having adopted a local custom from the East, turned to salute the sun. The forces of Vitellius thought they were greeting reinforcements, lost heart, and shortly thereafter surrendered.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    This is either an outlying poll, or something very significant could be happening. Very worrying times for Britain's economy, cohesion and global influence.
  • Options
    John_M said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

But John Mann's has.
    LOL! Snap.

PB ex-Tory if you don't mind, how very dare you! ;)
    A PB Tory's not just for Christmas.... isn't that the saying?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Don't really trust ORB.

But it accords with 1. the trend, and 2. all the anecdotal evidence - it's Labour voters who are looking mutinous and LEAVERY
    Yes, but they also probably won't vote.

I'll believe Remain think they're seriously losing when we see some form of capitulation/compromise from Cameron. He could put together a package of measures without the EU that would change the mood music.
  • Options
    If Leave wins and Gove backs Boris, then Boris will walk into Downing Street.

But could Gove back Leadsom? If he does, could she come from nowhere to the top job in a few weeks? Must be a chance.
  • Options

Always bet on the opposite of what it finds?
    A new PB rule?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2016
    Bloody Little Englanders...or something like that...

Please take a moment to think of all the fags Cameron will be hitting this evening.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, Gruber is what lifted the film from being merely good to excellent. Heroes are often defined by villains (Die Hard went from a charismatic German superthief to a disgruntled ex-IT worker...).
  • Options
    At 9.00 am June 24th, Radio 3 will play a recording marked 'Sehr feierlich und sehr langsam", Cameron will have found the revolver and whisky.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

But could Gove back Leadsom? If he does, could she come from nowhere to the top job in a few weeks? Must be a chance.

Earlier on this week, I was told by someone who knows their stuff, if Dave goes on June 24th, Michael Gove will be George Osborne's campaign manager
  • Options
    MikeL said:

If Leadsom is PM (surely not), then May as chancellor please!
  • Options

This is either an outlying poll, or something very significant could be happening. Very worrying times for Britain's economy, cohesion and global influence.

Talking Britain down is just what Remain needs.... Have some faith in the gumption of the great British public to make opportunity by the horns and run where the EU can't even waddle.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

SeanT said:

Don't really trust ORB.

But it accords with 1. the trend, and 2. all the anecdotal evidence - it's Labour voters who are looking mutinous and LEAVERY

I'll believe Remain think they're seriously losing when we see some form of capitulation/compromise from Cameron. He could put together a package of measures without the EU that would change the mood music.
    Like what? That is believable?

This is a massive lead fro leave.

It is just a poll, and polls schmolls... but there has been a trend to leave.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

MikeL said:

Earlier on this week, I was told by someone who knows their stuff, if Dave goes on June 24th, Michael Gove will be George Osborne's campaign manager
    But will Osborne make the final 2?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019
    Boris should tweet back "What, again!!!???"
  • Options

Bloody Little Englanders...or something like that...

Please take a moment to think of all the fags Cameron will be hitting this evening.

Provided they are not duty free, it helps the exchequer.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Pulling. Your. Leg....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited June 2016
    dr_spyn said:

The same Mr Miliband who wasn't seen as an electoral asset by same cohort of voters last year?
    Brown would be more effective, he is the senior Labour figure who goes down best with the white working class, even Gillian Duffy said she respected him despite their disagreement. Could he save 2 referendums?
  • Options

MikeL said:

Problem with Osborne is that he plays too many games trying to be too clever by half.
  • Options
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    SeanT said:

Surely the BEST that Cameron can hope for now is a painfully narrow REMAIN win. 55/45 or closer. That is his optimum scenario, round about now.

Imagine his feelings.

I never thought he'd beat that. It just reaffirms what a crap strategist he has always been.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Surely the BEST that Cameron can hope for now is a painfully narrow REMAIN win. 55/45 or closer. That is his optimum scenario, round about now.

Imagine his feelings.

As long as he delivers a win, it's job done for him. I still think he'll do it. Labour voters might be mutinous but if they're like the PLP, they'll bottle it at the last minute.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

MikeL said:

Surely that would be the most bizarre move since Redwood backed Clarke?
  • Options

MikeL said:

Pulling. Your. Leg....
    Was the person who in April 2015 told me the Tories were at least 50-75 seats ahead of Labour in England & Wales, when all the polls were showing it neck and neck.
  • Options
    Fair play to Andrew Neil - he's got a good angle on Farage and immigration. Not sure it'll make much difference to the referendum, mind.
  • Options
    Presumably whatever the outcome Dave's awesome boundary review is dead in the water now?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Surely that would be the most bizarre move since Redwood backed Clarke?
    Gove is a Cameroon, he's also very close to Osborne.

Right I must depart, earlier on this after I promised someone that I wouldn't visit PB until Saturday morning.
  • Options
    Havien't the stakes been upped these days? Doesn't it also require a sausage up the bum too?
  • Options
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

Imagine his feelings.

As long as he delivers a win, it's job done for him. I still think he'll do it. Labour voters might be mutinous but if they're like the PLP, they'll bottle it at the last minute.
    They're not.

The WWC are fed up with being called waycists ect by people who read the Guardian. They're angry and rightly so.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Pulling. Your. Leg....
    Was the person who in April 2015 told me the Tories were at least 50-75 seats ahead of Labour in England & Wales, when all the polls were showing it neck and neck.
    What - JackW??
  • Options

Presumably whatever the outcome Dave's awesome boundary review is dead in the water now?

It's not his, it's the boundary commission, and the current boundaries are woefully outdated.
  • Options
    Farage doing well on BBC with Neil. Farage has prepared.
  • Options
    StarfallStarfall Posts: 78
    I'm really upset about this. I knew the decision by StrongerIn to go so negative would be a backfire. They have stopped making practical arguments and instead they have spent their time talking about how awful Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson are. People are not fools. They know this is a referendum on EU membership and not on the men leading the Brexit campaign. We need a positive vision for the European Union and we are not hearing it.
  • Options

It's not a car crash, which is what I was worried about. Seems to have some PB lines too,,,
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Starfall said:

I'm really upset about this. I knew the decision by StrongerIn to go so negative would be a backfire. They have stopped making practical arguments and instead they have spent their time talking about how awful Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson are. People are not fools. They know this is a referendum on EU membership and not on the men leading the Brexit campaign. We need a positive vision for the European Union and we are not hearing it.

I did say that Stronger In had taken the wrong lessons from the Scottish Indy ref.

Paul Mason is waiting for the vow, It isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Starfall said:

Something better than lower airfares and roaming charges.

Well put. Mr, Ms Starfall and welcome.
  • Options

Must have stuck to a light lunch of 4 pints, 2 bottles of vino and a large whiskey today.
  • Options
    Starfall said:

When you say positive vision, does that entail full endorsement of the endgame of full political union, or still stopping short of that but praising all it has done to date?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019
    Starfall said:

I can sympathise absolutely with that. I feel the same way about the Leave campaign. It just seems at the moment that the Leave campaign is slightly less absolutely rubbish than the Remain campaign. But there is not much between the two to be honest.

I know which side of the argument I want to win. I just wish both campaigns could lose because whichever wins people are going to think that is a successful template for future campaigns.
  • Options

Starfall said:

I can sympathise absolutely with that. I feel the same way about the Leave campaign. It just seems at the moment that the Leave campaign is slightly less absolutely rubbish than the Remain campaign. But there is not much between the two to be honest.

I know which side of the argument I want to win. I just wish both campaigns could lose because whichever wins people are going to think that is a successful template for future campaigns.
    Did you watch the debate last night? I thought Leave put forward a very civilized case.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    This poll could be vapid bilge?
  • Options

Starfall said:

Agreed. But they can't so I hope Leave wins.
  • Options
    Mr. Starfall, welcome to pb.com.

I must agree. The 'Little England' slogan seems designed to irritate people, and Rudd's comments about Boris Johnson were thoroughly despicable.

Mr. White, Mason's taking the Sturgeon line: he wants to vote to stay in [although he dislikes the EU] because it can help mitigate what our democratically elected government can do.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

Imagine his feelings.

If Cameron delivers in heroin that energizes UKIP or fractures the Conservatives which in turn leads to voting reform to deal with the new multi party setup that Britain will have which then results in weak governments which gives the impetus for Scottish independence then... well it's a scenario.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    From someone close to the action:

If high turnout, Remain wins.
    If low turnout, Leave wins.
    Dave will survive any confidence vote by his MPs.
  • Options

Mr. Starfall, welcome to pb.com.

I must agree. The 'Little England' slogan seems designed to irritate people, and Rudd's comments about Boris Johnson were thoroughly despicable.

Mr. White, Mason's taking the Sturgeon line: he wants to vote to stay in [although he dislikes the EU] because it can help mitigate what our democratically elected government can do.

The idea that we need the EU to moderate our democracy is bonkers especially as they are treating unions in Sweden badly.
  • Options
    I haven't a clue as to whether Romania's membership is dodgy, but I bet there are people thinking that Farage has a point when he says "well they let Romania in, why won't they let Turkey?"
  • Options

SeanT said:

Don't really trust ORB.

Serious reform of the welfare system, making it contributory rather than universal. Leaving the ECHR and British bill of rights. A third thing. Everything sounds better in threes.

It wouldn't be without issues. It would break up the Remain coalition of lefties and Tories for a start. But I think they could cobble together enough to ease people's guilt and get them to the polls for Remain - like Scotland. The fact there are no signs of this are surely a signal they aren't uncertain enough of victory.
  • Options
    Mr. Perdix, I wonder if many Labour voters will fail to turn out.

SNP types might be in two minds as well (aside from pro-independence chaps like Mr. G who wants both Scottish independence and to leave the EU anyway).
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    perdix said:

From someone close to the action:

If high turnout, Remain wins.
    If low turnout, Leave wins.
    Dave will survive any confidence vote by his MPs.

Assumptions, assumptions....

This poll implies it will be a high turnout and leave will win?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Don't really trust ORB.

Serious reform of the welfare system, making it contributory rather than universal. Leaving the ECHR and British bill of rights. A third thing. Everything sounds better in threes.

It wouldn't be without issues. It would break up the Remain coalition of lefties and Tories for a start. But I think they could cobble together enough to ease people's guilt and get them to the polls for Remain - like Scotland. The fact there are no signs of this are surely a signal they aren't uncertain enough of victory.
    If he did that all hell would break loose and no one will believe he would follow through with it anyway
  • Options

SeanT said:

Don't really trust ORB.

Sorry, the change to benefits will lose at least as many voters as it gains. the ECHR thing is a non starter inside the EU as well.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I haven't a clue as to whether Romania's membership is dodgy, but I bet there are people thinking that Farage has a point when he says "well they let Romania in, why won't they let Turkey?"

I believe the point is that Romania & Hungary were told they couldn't join until they had sorted out the rampant corruption & organised crime...and they didn't / haven't and they still let them in.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

MikeL said:

Why would Osborne even bother standing? He's even more europhile than Cam. Him and Cameron will both be finished if LEAVE wins.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's not his, it's the boundary commission, and the current boundaries are woefully outdated.
    It still has to go through Parliament doesn't it. And yes, no problem with a reapportionment - it's the reduction to 600 that will make it struggle.
  • Options

It's not a car crash, which is what I was worried about. Seems to have some PB lines too,,,
    What a wise and learned fellow. :p
This discussion has been closed.