Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Would President Hillary Clinton inspire Labour to choose a

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,087
    Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Outstanding betting opportunity this morning.

Something is moving the market that almost certainly won't affect the result. Leave isn't significantly less likely than three days ago but has gone from 3.2 to 4.4. I'm back on it.

I thought Leave were worth backing when they were 31% , I can't see what has changed unless more and more people are picking up on Prof Curtice and Mike pointing out ORB say there poll is Remain ahead by 12% not the 1% the Telegraph report it as.
    It's people betting with their hearts, not their heads. In the same way that people kept betting on Jeb Bush long after it was clear he wasn't going to win.
    ...and others, mentioning no names Mr Eagles, who were laying the hell out of Mr Trump long after it became obvious he was going to be the favourite ;)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

Leave are in for a complete battering over the next two weeks. The PM and No 10 are going to be absolutely brutal.

And then he is going to try and govern with all those people he brutalised on his backbenches... good luck with that. It won't be about remain or leave by then, it will be personal.

Personally I think the real hilarity is going to be Dodgy Dave tearing his party to pieces, making it so that one half the party can't talk to the other without spitting, so that he can stay in his beloved EU... and then FN win in France and the EU implodes. Failing that, he will lose his majority to the kippers in 2020, 5% of voters moving from the Tories to UKIP and they will win 30 seats, and that's the end of that.
    The FN won't win in France.
    If you say so :)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

Leave are in for a complete battering over the next two weeks. The PM and No 10 are going to be absolutely brutal.

And then he is going to try and govern with all those people he brutalised on his backbenches... good luck with that. It won't be about remain or leave by then, it will be personal.

Personally I think the real hilarity is going to be Dodgy Dave tearing his party to pieces, making it so that one half the party can't talk to the other without spitting, so that he can stay in his beloved EU... and then FN win in France and the EU implodes. Failing that, he will lose his majority to the kippers in 2020, 5% of voters moving from the Tories to UKIP and they will win 30 seats, and that's the end of that.
    ... and the Kippers won't get 30 seats in 2020.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,293
    Indigo said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

I struggle to see how some people are saying "she seems so genuine, i truly believe her". She could easily just abstain or have made the same decision weeks ago but she's gone very public just as Cameron needs to pull a rabbit out. The idea that she has had some eureka moment after weighing up the facts (the same facts that have been in the public sphere for weeks) is naive in my opinion.

She doesn't suit your narrative. Many outside the bubble will sympathise with her struggle and and may or may not change their own minds on her comments.
    or maybe the fact that she isn't genuine doesn't suit your narrative. Clearly Cameron can do no wrong!
    My wife felt she was very genuine and normal as indeed many will as this gets huge broadcast media coverage as I predicted last night. David Cameron has many faults but there is not one Conservative MP that at present could come anywhere near him.
    Christ on a bike.

Another serial orgasm from Remainers as they are sure they have it in the bag, another couple of days of gloating, and then the next poll with show a 2% lead for Leave and it will be all doom and gloom again.
    It is providing some good betfair trading opportunities, mind.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,293
    Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

Juppe leads Le Pen 70:30 in the second round.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

I struggle to see how some people are saying "she seems so genuine, i truly believe her". She could easily just abstain or have made the same decision weeks ago but she's gone very public just as Cameron needs to pull a rabbit out. The idea that she has had some eureka moment after weighing up the facts (the same facts that have been in the public sphere for weeks) is naive in my opinion.

She doesn't suit your narrative. Many outside the bubble will sympathise with her struggle and and may or may not change their own minds on her comments.
    or maybe the fact that she isn't genuine doesn't suit your narrative. Clearly Cameron can do no wrong!
    My wife felt she was very genuine and normal as indeed many will as this gets huge broadcast media coverage as I predicted last night. David Cameron has many faults but there is not one Conservative MP that at present could come anywhere near him.
    Christ on a bike.

Another serial orgasm from Remainers as they are sure they have it in the bag, another couple of days of gloating, and then the next poll with show a 2% lead for Leave and it will be all doom and gloom again.
    You would have to be uninterested in making money to bet on Remain at current odds.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

TGOHF said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Bloody hell. Looks like I'll be hitting the streets of Leeds with not one, but two members of the Benn family next week.

Just goes to show how far you have sold out.
    Yeah but if he was alive you'd be on the same side as Tony Benn.

These are strange times.
    Well since I am not a Tory your point is..... pointless. I would be very pleased to be on the same side as Benn (senior) on many issues, not just the EU.

You on the other hand have sold out. Even you know it.
    I'm putting the county first. Country before party.
    No you really aren't. You forget we have all watched your progression into the Remain camp over the last few months and it has been very obvious that you are putting party first.

The only good thing is that the one thing you are desperate to save is going to be destroyed by the whole affair. So there is some justice in the world.
    Most of us knew from Day One that TSE was always going to go for Remain.

And for similar reasons to Matthew Parris.
    TBH, I find the gleeful dancing on the grave of a broken and divided Party really strange. It's a truly Pyrrhic victory for Remain. There's nothing clever in stoking the pyres with cleverdick smuggery and insults.
    I can't remember where I read the article but if I recall it was something along the lines that John Major, the PM and George Osborne have been meeting to discuss the future of the party. It was intimated that they are going to destroy the party and from the ashes will rise this modern, pro-Europe party. This probably ties in with the rumours about a cull of parliamentary candidates that don't fit into this objective. Even if this is only partly true and it seems to fit in with what is going on, then it is truly brutal.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that my membership will not be renewed.

I'd rather vote UKIP than Tory if Remain wins. That'd result in a Lib Dem win here in Eastbourne if I'm a typical pissed off voter.
    Looking forward to my first email from "Dave" or "George" post referendum asking me for a donation like wot I gave prior to the 2015 GE.

They best hope they don't read the replies.
    I got a CCHQ begging request yesterday - I deleted it.
    Should have sent them an appropriately worded reply! Are you going to stay a member for your vote in the leadership election, or is it part of Dave's plan that the only members left by the time he resigns will be the hardcore Osbornites?
    I am not sure who Dave and George are hoping is going to knock on doors for them after this big split, TSE can't do it all on his own ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

Le Pen's best chance is if Sarkozy and Juppe both run.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

felix said:

GIN1138 said:

felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

Did Mr "Parochial" Hague ever believe any of that "save the pound" and "I'll give you back your country" stuff from 97-01? Seems to me it was all an act because he'd got nothing else to say (because John Major had destroyed the Tories in 1992 when he presided over the house repossession meltdown across Middle England)

I can cope with people like Clarke and Heseltine who have never tried to hide their true beliefs. The real villains are people like Hague and Cameron who have spent decades pretending to be one thing and it turns out it was all a lie...

Quite. The language and tactics are visceral stuff - no one who was a bit half hearted would swap sides, deploy insulting language or demean fellow Party members like this.

Upthread someone mentioned that Woollaston was an Awkward Squadder - I think she's gone beyond that, she's in Team UnReliable. One can be awkward, and consistent. You can't chop and change and expect to be trusted.
    Says the ex ~Blair babe soon to be ex Cameroonian :)
    Just goes to show Ms. Plato has a good record of backing "winners" but know's when the time is right to disembark when they become "losers"... ;)
    Lol - or that she's a hypocrite.
    I have had a very similar trajectory to Ms Plato.

1997 Labour

2001 (didn't bother)

2005 Lib-Dem

2010 Conservative

2015 Conservative

2020 (no idea except it almost certainly won't be Con)

There are actually a surprising number of "hypocrites" who change their voting preferences with the changing time's.
    Quite.

1987 Tory
    1992 Lib Dem as protest
    1997 Labour
    2001 Labour
    2005 Labour but very reluctant
    2010 Tory
    2015 Tory

Now I'm feeling rather homeless.

I see Woollaston is wall to wall media interviews. She makes Reckless look principled.
    tbh I'm surprised you call Reckless unprincipled, to me he's the opposite.

I must admit I'd never heard of this Woolaston person until now, is there a market on her becoming a Minister on June 24th?
    His defection was unprincipled and deliberately designed to wreck - he wasted resources in his own constituency party and then jumped ship for maximum damage. Carswell didn't.
    Yes I've heard that said but don't agree, yes he did spend money knowing he was leaving but lots of people have the afternoon off work going to the dentist when it's really a job interview.

His principles cost him his career, arguably. OK I'm biased, I've spent time with him, he's a very nice man, shy, highly intelligent.

I'd love to vote for a party led by him, Carswell and Hannan.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

There are other positions than president available.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

TGOHF said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Bloody hell. Looks like I'll be hitting the streets of Leeds with not one, but two members of the Benn family next week.

These are strange times.
    Well since I am not a Tory your point is..... pointless. I would be very pleased to be on the same side as Benn (senior) on many issues, not just the EU.

No you really aren't. You forget we have all watched your progression into the Remain camp over the last few months and it has been very obvious that you are putting party first.

The only good thing is that the one thing you are desperate to save is going to be destroyed by the whole affair. So there is some justice in the world.

TBH, I find the gleeful dancing on the grave of a broken and divided Party really strange. It's a truly Pyrrhic victory for Remain. There's nothing clever in stoking the pyres with cleverdick smuggery and insults.
    I can't remember where I read the article but if I recall it was something along the lines that John Major, the PM and George Osborne have been meeting to discuss the future of the party. It was intimated that they are going to destroy the party and from the ashes will rise this modern, pro-Europe party. This probably ties in with the rumours about a cull of parliamentary candidates that don't fit into this objective. Even if this is only partly true and it seems to fit in with what is going on, then it is truly brutal.

I'd rather vote UKIP than Tory if Remain wins. That'd result in a Lib Dem win here in Eastbourne if I'm a typical pissed off voter.
    Looking forward to my first email from "Dave" or "George" post referendum asking me for a donation like wot I gave prior to the 2015 GE.

Should have sent them an appropriately worded reply! Are you going to stay a member for your vote in the leadership election, or is it part of Dave's plan that the only members left by the time he resigns will be the hardcore Osbornites?
    If it's a Remain win, I'm definitely off. I'll pay the minimum £25 to keep a vote for the Leadership just to be bloody minded. Then I'll vote UKIP.

Cameron and Osborne have insulted me and my ilk. They don't want us, well fine by me.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

felix said:

GIN1138 said:

felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

Did Mr "Parochial" Hague ever believe any of that "save the pound" and "I'll give you back your country" stuff from 97-01? Seems to me it was all an act because he'd got nothing else to say (because John Major had destroyed the Tories in 1992 when he presided over the house repossession meltdown across Middle England)

I can cope with people like Clarke and Heseltine who have never tried to hide their true beliefs. The real villains are people like Hague and Cameron who have spent decades pretending to be one thing and it turns out it was all a lie...

Quite. The language and tactics are visceral stuff - no one who was a bit half hearted would swap sides, deploy insulting language or demean fellow Party members like this.

Upthread someone mentioned that Woollaston was an Awkward Squadder - I think she's gone beyond that, she's in Team UnReliable. One can be awkward, and consistent. You can't chop and change and expect to be trusted.
    Just goes to show Ms. Plato has a good record of backing "winners" but know's when the time is right to disembark when they become "losers"... ;)

1997 Labour

2001 (didn't bother)

2005 Lib-Dem

2010 Conservative

2015 Conservative

There are actually a surprising number of "hypocrites" who change their voting preferences with the changing time's.
    Quite.

1987 Tory
    1992 Lib Dem as protest
    1997 Labour
    2001 Labour
    2010 Tory
    2015 Tory

I see Woollaston is wall to wall media interviews. She makes Reckless look principled.

I must admit I'd never heard of this Woolaston person until now, is there a market on her becoming a Minister on June 24th?
    The odds would be too short to be attractive.
    She knows about the NHS, are any of the health ministers Leavers?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471
    Brom said:

Wanderer said:

Something is moving the market that almost certainly won't affect the result. Leave isn't significantly less likely than three days ago but has gone from 3.2 to 4.4. I'm back on it.

i do agree. it's not discussed on any forums i read, not mentioned in the workplace. Will it still be the headline by the 10 o clock news? the BBC might be leading with it, but it's a slow news day. I just can't see the public who do hear about the story believe her reasoning.
    It will continue all day and be worse by 10.00pm as the ITV 2 hour debate featuring Sturgeon v Boris is beamed to the Nation with Sarah Wollaston's incendiary intervention being played big time by Nicola. This is not going away
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Christ on a bike.

Touching a million quid on BF in the last 24 hours. With a graph this shape we should all be making money.
    http://politicalodds.bet/eu-referendum?time=30#i
  • Options
    Remind me again.

How much did President Obama move the polls to Remain after much backslapping and gloating from the Remain camp... and most voters have heard of him! Yet we are supposed to believe that Dr Wollaston is the secret weapon that is going to win it for Remain. I think some people have been having a few too many sherbets with their lunch.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @AndrewSparrow: Yvette Cooper has accused Gove and Boris of 'deliberately telling lies', @jessicaelgot reports - https://t.co/U8TatCCpI0
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Remind me again.

How much did President Obama move the polls to Remain after much backslapping and gloating from the Remain camp... and most voters have heard of him! Yet we are supposed to believe that Dr Wollaston is the secret weapon that is going to win it for Remain. I think some people have been having a few too many sherbets with their lunch.

It's helpful to Remain, as it enables them to dominate one news cycle, but it's no game-changer.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

... and the Kippers won't get 30 seats in 2020.
    Yep. They're too divisive to win unless it's a 3 or 4 way marginal.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

TGOHF said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

These are strange times.

If it's a Remain win, I'm definitely off. I'll pay the minimum £25 to keep a vote for the Leadership just to be bloody minded. Then I'll vote UKIP.

Cameron and Osborne have insulted me and my ilk. They don't want us, well fine by me.

I keep hearing this, I get a warm glow. The similarities between Cameron and Blair grow stronger every day.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Kin hell, I thought Dr Wollaston was a Westminster bubble story, but this makes me think Leave are really worried about the mother of all shellackings

@LouiseMensch: Sarah Wollaston @SarahWollaston is a gutless coward who has been deleting her anti-EU tweets. Stop lying to the public Sarah #Brexit

Mensch's reaction is unfortunately redolent of Cyber Nats at their worst. I am a Leaver but frankly if this solitary MP wants to change sides so be it. I am not convinced her heart was ever in it as some of her previous comments in this campaign haven't exactly been helpful to Leave. It is however the sort of story the bubble love - it will cause "damage" for 24 hrs but really the best tactic is ignore it and move on.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@AndrewSparrow: Yvette Cooper has accused Gove and Boris of 'deliberately telling lies', @jessicaelgot reports - https://t.co/U8TatCCpI0

Would this be Yvette 'I will house some Syrian Refugees in my house' Cooper we are talking about here ?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,834
    Interesting:

Socrates
    @suttonnick I have a friend who works in Cabinet Office. She's been offered a ministerial position for this in the coming reshuffle.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Dedicated to the Hon Member for Totnes, in the County of Devon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viw5JXopin0
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    We're seeing a lot of serious disillusion here from Tory loyalists, but I wonder if it will survive the arrival of a new leader. Whoever it is will obviously make conciliatory noises all round - time to remember what binds us together, respect the dcecision (whatever it is), work together for Britain, etc. I think the dissidents will all fall into line again, unless the new leader has seriously burned his boats.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

felix said:

GIN1138 said:

felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

1997 Labour

2001 (didn't bother)

2005 Lib-Dem

2010 Conservative

2015 Conservative

Quite.

1987 Tory
    1992 Lib Dem as protest
    1997 Labour
    2001 Labour
    2010 Tory
    2015 Tory

His defection was unprincipled and deliberately designed to wreck - he wasted resources in his own constituency party and then jumped ship for maximum damage. Carswell didn't.
    An interesting parallel with Gove & Johnson - few doubt Gove's motives, few trust Johnson's...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Interesting:

Socrates
    @suttonnick I have a friend who works in Cabinet Office. She's been offered a ministerial position for this in the coming reshuffle.

Are you offering odds?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Interesting:

Socrates

So she is another Reckless then. Good to know it was a stitch up rather than a principled decision.

The known unknown is how many more are there?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

We're seeing a lot of serious disillusion here from Tory loyalists, but I wonder if it will survive the arrival of a new leader. Whoever it is will obviously make conciliatory noises all round - time to remember what binds us together, respect the dcecision (whatever it is), work together for Britain, etc. I think the dissidents will all fall into line again, unless the new leader has seriously burned his boats.

Parallels with Labour here - there will be no angry backlash against the leadership - just slow disconnection as supporters drift off to do something better with their time.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

GIN1138 said:

Isabel Hardman:

Sarah Wollaston’s defection to Remain is a blow to the Leave campaign, whatever some of its supporters might say. The Tory MP is notoriously independently-minded, and unafraid of changing her mind, too, which makes her a rare species in Westminster. She is also totally uninterested in a government job, which makes it more difficult for her former allies to claim that she is just jumping ship in order to gain a cosy ministerial position. And Leave made a big song and dance about signing her up in the first place, which makes it even more difficult to claim that her change of heart means nothing.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/sarah-wollastons-defection-remain-really-blow-leave/

Clearly if someone changes their mind and goes to another camp it's a blow for the side they're leaving (the exception is that Quinton guy who left the Tories for Labour - They were genuinely glad to be shut of him I think)

But the saving grace for LEAVE is that most people won't have the first idea who she is....
    They will by tonight
    No, they really won't.

The £350m figure will be brought up and then those representing Leave will explain that the EU dictates how the rebate is spent. It will have a neutral effect on voters as they will be discussing massive amounts of money being spent on EU membership which voters are picking up on.
    With respect how naive can you get
  • Options

Interesting:

Socrates

We have a politburo, not a government.
  • Options

If the new leader is a Tory, possibly, if its another Cameroon TINO, then no.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

i do agree. it's not discussed on any forums i read, not mentioned in the workplace. Will it still be the headline by the 10 o clock news? the BBC might be leading with it, but it's a slow news day. I just can't see the public who do hear about the story believe her reasoning.
    It will continue all day and be worse by 10.00pm as the ITV 2 hour debate featuring Sturgeon v Boris is beamed to the Nation with Sarah Wollaston's incendiary intervention being played big time by Nicola. This is not going away
    When you say 'beamed to the nation', how many people are we expecting to tune in, and how many of them will be undecided?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?
    Are you saying this is untrue? A lie?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?
    Are you saying this is untrue? A lie?
    Scott only believes the tweets that he cuts and pastes himself.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

TGOHF said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

These are strange times.

I don't understand why you'd stay if it's Leave but go if it's Remain, or why you'll vote UKIP in 2020 when certainly Cameron and probably Osborne will be gone by then.
  • Options

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

Sturgeon won't help Remain in England. Especially not against Boris.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Remind me again.

It's helpful to Remain, as it enables them to dominate one news cycle, but it's no game-changer.
    It may be a good chunk of the public give out at the 11th hour, and go back to Remain, or we could be witnessing the last hurrah of the old political order of the last 30 years.

We just don't know.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?
    I am.

If we vote Remain I make Woolaston 1/33 to be a minister in a reshuffle.

If we vote Leave 33/1.

Let me know how much you want.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

MP_SE said:

GIN1138 said:

Isabel Hardman:

Sarah Wollaston’s defection to Remain is a blow to the Leave campaign, whatever some of its supporters might say. The Tory MP is notoriously independently-minded, and unafraid of changing her mind, too, which makes her a rare species in Westminster. She is also totally uninterested in a government job, which makes it more difficult for her former allies to claim that she is just jumping ship in order to gain a cosy ministerial position. And Leave made a big song and dance about signing her up in the first place, which makes it even more difficult to claim that her change of heart means nothing.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/sarah-wollastons-defection-remain-really-blow-leave/

Clearly if someone changes their mind and goes to another camp it's a blow for the side they're leaving (the exception is that Quinton guy who left the Tories for Labour - They were genuinely glad to be shut of him I think)

But the saving grace for LEAVE is that most people won't have the first idea who she is....
    They will by tonight
    No, they really won't.

The £350m figure will be brought up and then those representing Leave will explain that the EU dictates how the rebate is spent. It will have a neutral effect on voters as they will be discussing massive amounts of money being spent on EU membership which voters are picking up on.
    Your flimsy grasp of politics was exposed when you did not realise Eddie Izzard had an interest in politics.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

Very good point.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    midwinter said:

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

Sturgeon was an impressive performer in the GE debates. Obviously she has to be careful about lecturing the English - definitely plenty of pitfalls there - but the risk is so blindly obvious I assume she was twigged.
  • Options
    "We are now forecasting that Remain will win between 40% and 65% of the vote.

The probability that Remain will win the referendum is now down to 68%."

Well done, Stephen.

https://electionsetc.com/2016/06/08/historical-referendums-and-polls-based-forecast-update/
  • Options

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

When you say 'beamed to the nation', how many people are we expecting to tune in, and how many of them will be undecided?
    Last ITV debate had four million but this has box office 'Sturgeon v Boris'. Also the broadcast media will put it out on their news channels incessantly, as they do
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?
    Utter drivel of course. Only an imbecile would think that the Cabinet Office has anything to do with Ministerial appointments. Unless this 'friend' is close to Mark Harper (Chief Whip), Osborne or Cameron then they haven't a clue. Dear oh dear.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

GIN1138 said:

Isabel Hardman:

They will by tonight
    No, they really won't.

Your flimsy grasp of politics was exposed when you did not realise Eddie Izzard had an interest in politics.
    He was taking time off until the referendum when it was looking up for Leave, something seems to have inspired him to come back early, can't think what that might be.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Any Leavers need me to Get Out the postal vote in London (central and Northwest mainly) I really want to help after seeing Osborne yesterday-I mean that lie on not undrstanding how the triple lock works??
  • Options

MP_SE said:

GIN1138 said:

Isabel Hardman:

They will by tonight
    No, they really won't.

Well, we'd be hard pressed to sink to your levels.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    @chrisshipitv: Sarah Wollaston tells @itvnews other Leave MPs are also - like her - wondering if they've chosen the right team in the #EURef
  • Options

midwinter said:

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

Very good point.
    Keep grasping at the straws.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954

"We are now forecasting that Remain will win between 40% and 65% of the vote.

The probability that Remain will win the referendum is now down to 68%."

Well done, Stephen.

https://electionsetc.com/2016/06/08/historical-referendums-and-polls-based-forecast-update/

Interesting... Inline with Lord Haywards research yesterday.
  • Options

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

Last ITV debate had four million but this has box office 'Sturgeon v Boris'. Also the broadcast media will put it out on their news channels incessantly, as they do
    Do you think, on the whole, Sturgeon is popular in England?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

TGOHF said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

These are strange times.

I don't understand why you'd stay if it's Leave but go if it's Remain, or why you'll vote UKIP in 2020 when certainly Cameron and probably Osborne will be gone by then.
    If Leave wins, then we'll be back driving the bus and those with a sceptical agenda like me will have something to govern on.

If Remain wins, whether Cameron or Osborne goes - the agenda is set. I've nothing to gain by voting Tory - I was mislead. It's the All The Same Party.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

Though to get there, he (1) has to win the nomination, and (2) has to make the second round. There's certainly a good chance of both but it's not guaranteed.

The route to a Le Pen presidency involves a split centre/centre-right to the extent that Hollande finishes second. Of course, to get there he too has to be nominated; he also needs to up his game a little but swingback should work to his advantage. And the centre/centre-right may divide, particularly if Sarkozy defeats Juppe for the nomination.

From there, we end up in a reverse 2002, except that Le Pen is outpolling Hollande in head-to-heads.

I don't think it's likely - for her to win involves quite a lot to come together. It's probably more likely in the event of a Leave than a Remain in the UK, to the extent that it matters at all. For all that, it's conceivable in a way that it hasn't been before.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    I wonder if foreknowledge of Wollaston's defection is the reason Cameron started referring to Nigel Farage's Little England.

The timing of the defection is also helpful for Remain.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?
    Utter drivel of course. Only an imbecile would think that the Cabinet Office has anything to do with Ministerial appointments. Unless this 'friend' is close to Mark Harper (Chief Whip), Osborne or Cameron then they haven't a clue. Dear oh dear.
    I don't think that Socrates is the most impartial observer.

From his time line

David Cameron has shown he hates England, and thinks it is "little" without the European Union. The man is a traitor to his country.
  • Options

@chrisshipitv: Sarah Wollaston tells @itvnews other Leave MPs are also - like her - wondering if they've chosen the right team in the #EURef

She has a point, in the event of Remain their careers are over. This isn't about principles, its about positioning.

You know all about that.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

From his time line

David Cameron has shown he hates England, and thinks it is "little" without the European Union. The man is a traitor to his country.
    What is it with these Greek 'philosophers' (sic)?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

From his time line

TSE... or TPD? :lol:
  • Options

midwinter said:

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

Sturgeon was an impressive performer in the GE debates. Obviously she has to be careful about lecturing the English - definitely plenty of pitfalls there - but the risk is so blindly obvious I assume she was twigged.
    My point is that Tory voting remainers such as myself are going to find it very hard to support a left wing Scot against one of the most popular right wing politicians of the times. Id imagine undecided English voters are going to go for Boris. Xxx
  • Options
    ONLY 14 DAYS TO SAVE THE E.U. PROJECT!!!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

From his time line

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men (and women) are afraid of the light.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Any Leavers need me to Get Out the postal vote in London (central and Northwest mainly) I really want to help after seeing Osborne yesterday-I mean that lie on not undrstanding how the triple lock works??

Hi nunu: see here and follow up with a phone call: http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/organise
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?
    I am.

If we vote Leave 33/1.

If this is open to all I'll have £3 on Woolaston not being made a minister if Remain win.
    In the first reshuffle, I presume, not in an open ended 'any reshuffle'. Bet void if Leave win.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited June 2016

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?
    I am.

If we vote Leave 33/1.

Ah, but are you offering 14/1 on Woolaston not to be a minister if we vote Remain?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    Mr. 63, not so, Cameron's leaving soon.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

From his time line

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men (and women) are afraid of the light.
    Perhaps we can tempt him with an egg, watrecress and hemlock sandwich for lunch.
  • Options

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

I would have thought that the PM v the leader of UKIP has more box office in an EURef, particularly as it was on first. Time will tell.
  • Options

I don't think it's likely - for her to win involves quite a lot to come together. It's probably more likely in the event of a Leave than a Remain in the UK, to the extent that it matters at all. For all that, it's conceivable in a way that it hasn't been before.

There is also a legislative election in France next year, have to see if FN can take any seats this time.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

From his time line

Perhaps we can tempt him with an egg, watrecress and hemlock sandwich for lunch.
    Which reminds me, where you at the Oxford Union EC referendum debate in 1975 that featured Ted Heath, Jeremy Thorpe, Peter Shore, and Barbara Castle?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?
    I used to work as a management consultant in the Cabinet Office. It's colocated with much of the Treasury. I shared a lift with George Osborne - twice.

Also, Matt Hancock is cabinet office minister and a very close ally of Osborne.

I'm not saying it's 100% true but i certainly wouldn't discount it.
  • Options

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

Fair question. She is a consummate politician and I expect her to attack Boris, Gove and IDS hard from the left and will exploit Sarah Wollaston's defection with ease. I also expect a full frontal attack on Farage and probably a clever tying of Vote Leave to Farage. (I think Vote Leave always worrieed about this). The danger for leave is that she will influence the left who are needed to vote remain
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

My point is that Tory voting remainers such as myself are going to find it very hard to support a left wing Scot against one of the most popular right wing politicians of the times. Id imagine undecided English voters are going to go for Boris. Xxx
    Yep.

I was at WHL a few years back watching Spurs play Utd who had to win to stop Arsenal winning the league. When Utd scored loads of Spurs fans cheered, it was bizarre.

This is what Cameron has done, driven politics down to the level of tribalism seen on terraces. He won't be forgiven.
  • Options

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

From his time line

Exactly. Why are so many Remainers afraid of Britain governing itself and setting a free, democratic example to the whole of Europe?
  • Options

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

Fair question. She is a consummate politician and I expect her to attack Boris, Gove and IDS hard from the left and will exploit Sarah Wollaston's defection with ease. I also expect a full frontal attack on Farage and probably a clever tying of Vote Leave to Farage. (I think Vote Leave always worrieed about this). The danger for leave is that she will influence the left who are needed to vote remain
    So you admit she's not popular in England but claim I was clutching at straws.
  • Options
    Urgh. I'm so irked. I'm going to watch Jeremy Kyle guests abuse each other instead for a break.
  • Options

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

I would expect left wing viewers to prefer Sturgeon, and right wing viewers to prefer Johnson, but Johnson to be more popular overall.
  • Options

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

From his time line

Exactly. Why are so many Remainers afraid of Britain governing itself and setting a free, democratic example to the whole of Europe?
    We are a self governing nation setting an example to Europe.

You don't need to have done PPE to know that.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?
    I used to work as a management consultant in the Cabinet Office. It's colocated with much of the Treasury. I shared a lift with George Osborne - twice.

I used to hear all sorts when I worked in Whitehall - being a freelancer made me almost invisible.
  • Options

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

I would have thought that the PM v the leader of UKIP has more box office in an EURef, particularly as it was on first. Time will tell.
    The format is different, tonight's is a debate between three on each side hosted by Julie Etchingham, who is very professional, unlike Cameron following Farage
  • Options

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

It wasn't a debate though - IIRC tonight at Wembley is a debate of 3 vs 3.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Christ on a bike.

I wonder if your Dad is tempted to wade in again and back LEAVE at 4.5 on Betfair? .... Perhaps he'll tell us.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Sean_F said:

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

I would expect left wing viewers to prefer Sturgeon, and right wing viewers to prefer Johnson, but Johnson to be more popular overall.
    I'm a right wing viewer who respects the fact that Sturgeon was elected democratically and is an operator. I'm betting Nicola does detail better than Boris and if that is so, then he is going to get a shellacking and I'm going to enjoy watching it.

Boris' obvious attack line is what's good for Scotland is not good for the UK, etc
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Sean_F said:

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

That is certainly true. Just remember how the SNP meme played in England in 2015.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?
    I am.

If we vote Leave 33/1.

Ah, but are you offering 14/1 on Woolaston not to be a minister if we vote Remain?
    That's a fair question so yes, you can have 14s, deadline end of 2016.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

That is certainly true. Just remember how the SNP meme played in England in 2015.
    That's all done with, though. This isn't about the SNP holding the strings of a potential UK PM. We've moved on.
  • Options

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

So you admit she's not popular in England but claim I was clutching at straws.
    I admit to both as explained above
  • Options

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

From his time line

I have listed a whole range of powers the UK doesn't have (trade, regional, commercial, regulatory, justice, borders, and creeping integration in foreign affairs in my blog) and we are contributing to the EU being (at present) the only practical future on offer to the peoples of Europe. Many of which are intensely unhappy. The renegotiation demonstrated the EU won't change and the threats show how unpleasant it has become.

It's about time we offered them a free, democratic alternative and exercised true leadership in Europe.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    This has to be the worst excuse for saying 'I'm not in the mood'

Couples ‘delaying having babies because of fears over a Brexit’

Couples are delaying having children because of worries about the uncertainties of a Brexit, a senior London academic said today.

Professor Michael Bruter of LSE discovered evidence that young voters in particular were “far less likely to make family plans” before the June 23 vote.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/couples-delaying-having-babies-because-of-fears-over-a-brexit-a3267481.html
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

On the £350m, the whole point of using that figure was precisely that it was tenuous. That way, it gets continually talked about by both sides, helping the fact that there is a large cost - whatever it might actually be - sink in.

Indeed.

Both sides agree that we send billions to the EU.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

It's certainly possible that she has been offered something in Health, but tbh, it doesn't matter. The reaction should be, "Sarah who?". Best to just ignore it and move on to addressing the economic case, this is all just a sideshow that is getting the Leave camp off message, which is probably the intended effect. When we were arguing about Tory splits and "Westminster" stories remain were winning, when we moved on to the issues, leave were winning. Remain are scared to debate the issues because they know the EU is shit and not easy to defend, they are trying (and unfortunately succeeding) to move the debate back in to a political argument, where there is no doubt they are more professional.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

Box office ? I'm interested in politics but this campiagn has been so dire, the next fortnight can't go fast enough. Faced with the choice of watching Boris Bullshit and Nicola Nitpick lying for an hour I'll be watching House of Cards box set instead.

I think you're getting carried away with what people actually want to spend their time on.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,797

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

From his time line

We have to prostrate ourselves to Brussels in order to take the VAT off tampons.

Very self governing.

(And I say this as a PPE wonk)
  • Options
    chestnut said:

On the £350m, the whole point of using that figure was precisely that it was tenuous. That way, it gets continually talked about by both sides, helping the fact that there is a large cost - whatever it might actually be - sink in.

Indeed.

Both sides agree that we send billions to the EU.
    The net figure was £8.5 billion in 2015, which works out at £163 million a week.

By contrast, India got only £279 million for the whole YEAR.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954

I shared a lift with George Osborne - twice.

I bet that was a "nice" experience...

• Options

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

As a potential future event, it's entirely possible. But the idea that it's a widely-known truth throughout the Cabinet Office seems somewhat implausible. It may be that some have accurately pieced together a conclusion based on telephone calls, visits or whatever but that'd still be supposition at this stage.

I still find it odd that she'd defect on the offchance of a minor appointment (she now is utterly tied to Remain), given that you'd think that she'd probably have been in line for one anyway whichever side won.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

felix said:

GIN1138 said:

felix said:

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

1997 Labour

2001 (didn't bother)

2005 Lib-Dem

2010 Conservative

2015 Conservative

Quite.

1987 Tory
    1992 Lib Dem as protest
    1997 Labour
    2001 Labour
    2010 Tory
    2015 Tory

The odds would be too short to be attractive.
    She knows about the NHS, are any of the health ministers Leavers?
    My guess is that a lot of voters in the south and east of the country will hear her argument about migrant usage of the NHS compared to employment and raise at least one eyebrow, if not both.

People know what they see and hear.

They also have enough sense to correlate increased need for NHS migrant workers with increased presence of migrant patients.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

It wasn't a debate though - IIRC tonight at Wembley is a debate of 3 vs 3.
    I don't think this is at Wembley. I thought the Wembley date was Sadiq Khan v Boris towards the end of the campaign
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    TOPPING said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

Brom said:

Wanderer said:

That's all done with, though. This isn't about the SNP holding the strings of a potential UK PM. We've moved on.
    That is right, of course in the literal sense. I was thinking of something more visceral - and English impulse that the SNP does not have England's best interest at heart and is not to be trusted.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting:

Socrates

Are you offering odds?

It's certainly possible that she has been offered something in Health, but tbh, it doesn't matter. The reaction should be, "Sarah who?". Best to just ignore it and move on to addressing the economic case, this is all just a sideshow that is getting the Leave camp off message, which is probably the intended effect. When we were arguing about Tory splits and "Westminster" stories remain were winning, when we moved on to the issues, leave were winning. Remain are scared to debate the issues because they know the EU is shit and not easy to defend, they are trying (and unfortunately succeeding) to move the debate back in to a political argument, where there is no doubt they are more professional.
    As many have said on here, including me, Leave has the best line - immigration. Unambiguous, tangible, incontrovertible.

Not on PB, of course, where PB Leavers have more or less all welcomed an EEA-type arrangement (if somehow the Romanians and Bulgarians could be excluded).

But for the rest of the country, much of the Leave vote is focused on immigration. Remain of course has to find ways of taking peoples' attention of this central, unarguable issue and I suppose they are using every trick and turn to do so.

As regards Dr W, listening to her she seemed a sensible enough type. I have no reason not to take her at her word as to why the change, but then it's probably what I wanted to hear so no surprises there. I think it would have done more good to Remain if she had been a Lab, rather than Cons MP.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    As for the Nigel Farage stuff, the response from Leave should be a very simple one. Help us sack Nige by voting Leave.
This discussion has been closed.