Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mind the Gap

123457»

Comments

• Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

This is the boat remainers want us to sail on:

A graph that demonstrates only that the developing world is developing. US GDP as a percentage of the world is also shrinking.
    It is, but the USA is growing, without taking more states in, whilst the EU is at best near moribund.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950

viewcode said:

A starter family home in my part of Sussex is now on the market for a price that means a household income of £75K. A former council house.

One rather awful scenario I'm working on is Brexit triggers a house price boom. If GBP crashes there'll be an influx of rich from abroad buying up property, so it'll hit London and (as per usual) spread out. The A23/M23 and the London-Brighton train line has a chain of insurance/actuarial firms so it'll spread down thru Redhill, Crawley, Haywards Heath then Brighton and spread out.
    That may be a scenario you're working on... but it is already happening inside the EU.
    I know. The problem is, it occurs Brexit or not. I got offered a job last year in That London, a nice part of town too, and the salary was decent: £38K. It's not much (and it would have involved a paycut) but it was a prestigious department and I thought what the hey, London, yay! But when I sat down and did the numbers it got ridiculous fast: it wasn't a case of having to buy in a crap area, there wasn't *anywhere* that was doable. Commuting from Reading, Bentwood, no chance. Even the old tricks like near Heathrow was now priced out. So it was a "no". So I sympathise: they're not just ridiculous, they're impossible.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

A starter family home in my part of Sussex is now on the market for a price that means a household income of £75K. A former council house.

One rather awful scenario I'm working on is Brexit triggers a house price boom. If GBP crashes there'll be an influx of rich from abroad buying up property, so it'll hit London and (as per usual) spread out. The A23/M23 and the London-Brighton train line has a chain of insurance/actuarial firms so it'll spread down thru Redhill, Crawley, Haywards Heath then Brighton and spread out.
    That may be a scenario you're working on... but it is already happening inside the EU.
    I know. The problem is, it occurs Brexit or not. I got offered a job last year in That London, a nice part of town too, and the salary was decent: £38K. It's not much (and it would have involved a paycut) but it was a prestigious department and I thought what the hey, London, yay! But when I sat down and did the numbers it got ridiculous fast: it wasn't a case of having to buy in a crap area, there wasn't *anywhere* that was doable. Commuting from Reading, Bentwood, no chance. Even the old tricks like near Heathrow was now priced out. So it was a "no". So I sympathise: they're not just ridiculous, they're impossible.
    Right. It needs to stop. We can't just keep piling in the population. We need to build more houses, and fast with no population growth to start getting prices back under control.

Otherwise it just isn't fair.

That is what remainers seem oblivious to.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott seems to be getting a little tired and emotional? ;)

Not at all, just picking up the message from the Leave campaign tonight.

Do you hate Johnny foreigner enough to crash the economy? Vote Leave
    Do you think think the Tartan Taliban will really call a Indy ref 2 if rUK votes leave?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950
    RobD said:

From Laura K's blog on the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36422951)

"Witness today's plan for cutting VAT on energy bills if we left the EU. And tomorrow, a message that the campaign, buoyed by some recent nudges towards them in the polls, believes will pack even more punch."

I wonder what that might be?

Edit: if I had read the next line:

"On Wednesday, senior Outers will be on the road outlining how they claim they'd control immigration if we left the EU - by introducing a points system that would determine if people can come to live in Britain for every single wannabe immigrant."

Are they going to grace us with an actual numerical limit (say, 100,000 people per year) or will they hope if they talk long enough we won't notice they're not introducing one?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Living and working in the Bay Area (San Francisco) on a salary of £37k, I know that only too well. It's ridiculous. That being said, I wasn't in a position to turn down the offer. :p
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

From Laura K's blog on the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36422951)

"Witness today's plan for cutting VAT on energy bills if we left the EU. And tomorrow, a message that the campaign, buoyed by some recent nudges towards them in the polls, believes will pack even more punch."

I wonder what that might be?

Edit: if I had read the next line:

"On Wednesday, senior Outers will be on the road outlining how they claim they'd control immigration if we left the EU - by introducing a points system that would determine if people can come to live in Britain for every single wannabe immigrant."

Are they going to grace us with an actual numerical limit (say, 100,000 people per year) or will they hope if they talk long enough we won't notice they're not introducing one?
    Wasn't UKIP's idea to have an independent panel decide the number of immigrants we "need", so to speak?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Do you love Johnny European enough to break democracy?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Right. It needs to stop. We can't just keep piling in the population. We need to build more houses, and fast with no population growth to start getting prices back under control.

Check out property prices in Sydney where your points system has been in action for years and space isn't a significant constraint, and then tell me leaving the EU will solve this problem.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Check out property prices in Sydney where your points system has been in action for years and space isn't a significant constraint, and then tell me leaving the EU will solve this problem.
    It isn't my points system, and they invite more people in than we would intend.

Besides which, I'm not talking about a major city. In fact I'm not talking about a city at all, but a small town.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412
    This is the second consecutive evening that a Remainer has lost the plot.

Last night it was Southam Observer over Northern Ireland; tonight it is Scott_P over the EU economy. Will Straw is losing it in public as well.

Remainers are rattled. Badly.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016
    I would expect a citizenship requirement on social security to be another policy announcement by Leave, as opposed to Cameron's wishy-washy brake that only functions temporarily.

It's another obvious alteration that leaving the EU would permit.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I would expect a citizenship requirement on social security to be another policy announcement by Leave, as opposed to Cameron's wishy-washy brake that only functions temporarily.

Yes, and indeed for social housing. Obvious exception for asylum seekers. with caveats.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412
    chestnut said:

I would expect a citizenship requirement on social security to be another policy announcement by Leave.

I've noticed that Leave are making an immigration announcement every day just to keep the pot boiling and Remain off-balance. Remain seem to respond by spouting obvious nonsense.

Perfectly timed for the postal votes coming in.
  • Options

chestnut said:

I would expect a citizenship requirement on social security to be another policy announcement by Leave.

I've noticed that Leave are making an immigration announcement every day just to keep the pot boiling and Remain off-balance. Remain seem to respond by spouting obvious nonsense.

Perfectly timed for the postal votes coming in.
    I was listening to a Polish worker with no UK citizenship (on the BBC IIRC) explaining that there was too much immigration.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

This is the second consecutive evening that a Remainer has lost the plot.

Last night it was Southam Observer over Northern Ireland; tonight it is Scott_P over the EU economy. Will Straw is losing it in public as well.

Remainers are rattled. Badly.

Leave: Fair and Balanced

Remain: Fear Unbalanced.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    edited June 2016

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Besides which, I'm not talking about a major city. In fact I'm not talking about a city at all, but a small town.
    So how many 'points' on something like the Australian system would you need to get included in the quota? Would you draw the line at Premiership footballers? CEOs? Heart surgeons? Nurses? Matt Le Blanc?

All property prices in the south-east are heavily influenced by London. It's a fact of life, and with an increase in telecommuting the ripples will be felt further and further afield.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I could envisage a two tier system developing with asylum seekers too.

Those selected from the refugee camps being treated more sympathetically than those arriving in a dinghy. Properly planned settlement should go a considerable way to improving public sentiment.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

Yo Scott! I is foreign-born, and I is voting LEAVE :lol:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

We need not trouble ourselves with what Corbyn might want to do in the event of a Leave result, but McDonnell is not completely stupid. The strategy is so blindingly obvious that there is no chance of McDonnell getting it wrong: wait for the economic collapse and the concomitant continuation of the Tory civil war (remember, there will be a leadership contest in the midst of the economic chaos), and blame the whole sorry mess on the Tories. This is a winning strategy by any standard, although the fact that Labour have managed to mislay Scotland is a complicating factor.

Though what if there is no economic collapse?
    The NIESR thinks that growth would fall from 2.7% to 1.9% in 2017, in the event of Brexit. Would many people even notice that?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

2/3s (164) of economists polled by the Economist were wrong about joining the euro being good for the UK.

Yes. And only a half-wit would conclude from that that the near-100% of economists, as well as politicians and businessmen, are guaranteed to be wrong now.
    Where is this near-100% of economists? Link?
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/1a86ab36-afbe-11e5-b955-1a1d298b6250.html#axzz4AH46yRSZ
    lol. The FT's favourite economists? The FT???? Why not ask the Morning Star's favourite economists, for their opinions on neo-liberal capitalism?

And it's not even 100%, nowhere near. It's 65-75% think Brexit will be bad - even of the economists the slavishly europhile FT likes to consult.

And just how sensible are these opinions, when you look close? Here's one, from an FT "expert", Willem Buiter:

"Brexit would be followed promptly by the break-up of the UK: Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland leave the UK and join the EU; I would hope that Greater London — the region inside the M25 — would leave England and join the EU. Even if England stays intact."

Yes, Wales would leave the UK and rapidly rejoin the EU, eager to sample the delights of the euro. Then London would leave England.

Do you not have anything else?
    I'd like some of what Willam Buiter's been smoking.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

So how many 'points' on something like the Australian system would you need to get included in the quota? Would you draw the line at Premiership footballers? CEOs? Heart surgeons? Nurses? Matt Le Blanc?
    Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

All but the nurses will be higher rate taxpayers, and we have a shortage of nurses so would like to encourage them here. Maybe their employer can pay a visa fee of £10k per year into a nursing college so that for every immigrant nurse, one local nurse can be sponsored through their training.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I know. The problem is, it occurs Brexit or not. now priced out. So it was a "no". So I sympathise: they're not just ridiculous, they're impossible.
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

The median salary in London is £33k for full time workers and £28k for all workers so most Londoners have to do precisely that. That is why a majority of Londoners now rent or move out to Essex or Kent to buy
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited August 2016

Test
This discussion has been closed.