Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mind the Gap

Comments

• Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited May 2016
    MP_SE said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

GBPUSD 1.4480 having been around the 1.47 handle before the 'poll annnouncement'.

Sterling's high overnight at 1.4724 failed to take out the 1.4763 corrective high on May 3rd - known as a failed 5th in Elliott Wave terms as part of the larger correction off the 1.3883 lows post Boris announcing he was going to campaign on the leave side.

This is a decidedly BEARISH setup....irrespective of the outcome on the 23rd June.

Also note the weakness in the Dow today vis a vis the S&P. The smart money is getting out before quite a stock market correction coming up. Its a false move(including gold that will ideally fall to the $900 area) ......before we get into the sovereign debt crisis proper (I think starting January 2017) when it will be stocks / gold / dollar up, bonds / property / debt down in the move of a lifetime.

I think you are posting in the wrong place. This isnt http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum.

:)
    Oh god....'that site'. Once upon a time circa 2008 there were some decent posters on there....namely cgnao. Not so now me thinks!
    Ah the mysterious Cgnao.

Cgnao saved me a fortune when I took note of him and moved my personal pension funds into a essentially a fixed interest rate account just before the ballon went up in 2007/8.

Its not as good as it was but still useful to lurk on and off topic is hilarious.
    I always found HPC members trolling Mumsnet amusing.
    The in sport at the moment is trolling the forum stsrted by a buy to let landlord who campaigned against Osbornes buy to let stamp duty hike.

It was also through house price crash that I discovered the infamous and side splitting mumsnet Oxo Tower thread started by a lady who innocently described how her other half had taken her up the well known iconic south bank building to celebrate their anniversary with dinner at the restaurant at the top.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    hunchman said:

O/T and selfish. I’m delighted to report that my latest blood test has come back negative and therefore I've, or rather the NHS has, beaten my cancer! Five years after the operation finally I’m in the clear!

That's fabulous!! So glad for you. Many happy years to come!
    Seconded.

NickP - I asked last night re: your admiration of Switzerland - how do you reconcile Switzerland doing so well whilst outside of the EU?
    Sorry, missed it when you first asked. Switzerland has a lot going for them in terms of being a European financial centre in an extremely stable society, and they attempt to align themselves extremely closely to EU policy (for a long time the franc shadowed the Euro), constrained by the direct democracy system. They voted narrowly to oppose free movement, and the Swiss government are still scratching their heads over how to square that with the EU making it a condition for a range of other agreements important to Switzerland: the most likely is that they'll go back for a fresh vote, saying the problem is otherwise insoluble. The Government doesn't think they can prosper without close integration with the EU.

They're a good example of a pretty healthy economy tightly bound into the EU - they're doing OK, but the idea that they have freedom of action is almost wholly illusory. Britain, by contrast, has a highly unhealthy economy with a huge payments deficit, serious underinvestment and over-dependence on consumer debt and an obsession with reducing immigration at any cost. It won't end happily.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Welcome to the site, Mr. Naylor.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    @JohnLilburne "I tend to think you should vote in the jurisdiction where you live and pay taxes."

That's a reasonable position, but the thing is the rules are not uniform across EU counties. And we in particular are out of step.

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    viewcode said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

GBPUSD 1.4480 having been around the 1.47 handle before the 'poll annnouncement'.

Sterling's in the move of a lifetime.

I think you are posting in the wrong place. This isnt http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum.

Oh god....'that site'. Once upon a time circa 2008 there were some decent posters on there....namely cgnao. Not so now me thinks!
    Ah the mysterious Cgnao.

Cgnao saved me a fortune when I took note of him and moved my personal pension funds into a essentially a fixed interest rate account just before the ballon went up in 2007/8.

Its not as good as it was but still useful to lurk on and off topic is hilarious.
    Haven't been on there for ages! I don't think anyone ever got to the bottom of cgnao's identity did they?
    I dont think so but I have my suspicions.

Dont need to read this just look at the pictures lol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/11805523/Doomsday-clock-for-global-market-crash-strikes-one-minute-to-midnight-as-central-banks-lose-control.html
    Its not him, I'm fairly sure with respect

When I say bullish on stocks overall - look at the Dow repeatedly challenging the 18500/18600 area - its like the Dow challenging the 1,000 area until the breakout at the umpteemth attempt off the August 1982 lows. One of my favourite Martin Armstrong quotes is....' the gods of Wall Street give you one attempt to sell the high' .......eg the summer of 1929. They don't give you many attempts as is the case with the Dow right now.
    Do either of you know what happened to "spline", the handle of a poster on HPC who left about 2009/10? He was bloody good at predicting.
    Am afraid that I can't help you there. @Paul_Bedfordshire ?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

EPG said:

Britain doesn't have just one culture, and attempts to define British mores devolve into silliness when you compare Fermanagh to Lowestoft or Aberdeen or Liverpool. So it seems ambitious to hope EU migrants will adopt British mores like a drop in a bucket of water, when there is no such homogenous thing.

Thus let's cut out the PC. A lot of the immigration reductionists want Muslims to be stopped coming into the UK or even want Muslims born in Britain to be encouraged to leave. At the least, they want Muslims to keep quiet and leave the public sphere to atheists, Christians, Jews, and other accepted religions. But for some reason they are supporting an EU referendum to reduce the numbers of Poles and Irish who will move to the UK without doing anything to achieve what they really want.

I am trying to think of a polite word to describe what you just wrote there.

Ah lets cut out the PC. What you wrote is bollocks.
    I think "bollocks" is perfectly polite in the circumstances.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    hunchman said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/clinton-trump-romney-wealth-223712

Clinton has the innovative idea of replaying Obama's campaign against Romney with Trump.

“Donald Trump is a pretty nontraditional candidate, but in a lot of ways we’re about to see a very traditional campaign, because it works,” said one former top Obama campaign official. “We beat the drum on Romney for months on jobs and his record, calling him out of touch with most Americans — for months — through paid media, candidate appearances, using surrogates.”

“I don’t think it’s a mistake,” he added. “But I don’t think we’ll know if it’s a mistake for months."

Hilary feeling the need to go to California to campaign and see off the Sanders threat tells you everything you need to know about the current state of her campaign. And as for aping Obama against Romney......haven't things moved on a bit in the past 4 years as to the average American and his / her confidence in government? Whatever one thinks of Trump, he is profiting from precisely the loss of confidence in government over that time. 'Change you can believe in' - that would go down like a lead balloon in the current climate.
    The Consumer Confidence Index, which has predicted 10 out of 12 of the last elections' Popular Vote correctly is below 100 and fading.

Should mean the stake through the heart for Clinton...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

Re: 15 year overseas disenfranchisement.

I though the 15 year rule was introduced under Thatcher?

You are right!
    Since 1985, anyone over 18 who has lived abroad for less than 15 years is eligible to vote in British parliamentary and European elections

British citizens living abroad for more than 15 years are automatically disenfranchised.
    http://www.euronews.com/2016/02/27/as-a-british-expat-how-do-i-vote-in-the-uk-s-eu-referendum/
  • Options
    hunchman said:

viewcode said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Sterling's in the move of a lifetime.

Ah the mysterious Cgnao.

Haven't been on there for ages! I don't think anyone ever got to the bottom of cgnao's identity did they?
    I dont think so but I have my suspicions.

Dont need to read this just look at the pictures lol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/11805523/Doomsday-clock-for-global-market-crash-strikes-one-minute-to-midnight-as-central-banks-lose-control.html
    Its not him, I'm fairly sure with respect

When I say bullish on stocks overall - look at the Dow repeatedly challenging the 18500/18600 area - its like the Dow challenging the 1,000 area until the breakout at the umpteemth attempt off the August 1982 lows. One of my favourite Martin Armstrong quotes is....' the gods of Wall Street give you one attempt to sell the high' .......eg the summer of 1929. They don't give you many attempts as is the case with the Dow right now.
    Do either of you know what happened to "spline", the handle of a poster on HPC who left about 2009/10? He was bloody good at predicting.
    Sorry - dobt remember that chap
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Seems unreasonably generous to me. Surely if you live abroad for that length of time you apply for that country's citizenship.

I don't see why you should be obliged to. Citizenship should have a deeper meaning than just where you live.
    You're not obliged to. But if you've opted out of the nation for 15 years why should you still get a vote?
    Because you may have paid 40 years of tax and NI?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    If you believe that Christianity has been a good influence on the UK, you should probably be encouraging Polish and Lithuanian immigration. Countries where religion has, in living memory of young people, been a motive for freedom and opposition to anti-individualistic communism. But the LEAVE campaign is protean this way. It's about their economic effect... until it comes time to talk about economics, when it becomes about the social effect... which is not itself expounded on, other than demanding that we all treat the opinions of anti-immigration people without challenge and with honour and respect (normally while calling pro-immigration people luvvies, fatcats, out of touch or traitors).
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Today Cameron campaigns for us to stay in tthe E.U because it protects Employment rights.

He wasn't saying that in 2005: Go to about 16:25 minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IalSiKGMCqA
  • Options
    EPG said:

If you believe that Christianity has been a good influence on the UK, you should probably be encouraging Polish and Lithuanian immigration. Countries where religion has, in living memory of young people, been a motive for freedom and opposition to anti-individualistic communism. But the LEAVE campaign is protean this way. It's about their economic effect... until it comes time to talk about economics, when it becomes about the social effect... which is not itself expounded on, other than demanding that we all treat the opinions of anti-immigration people without challenge and with honour and respect (normally while calling pro-immigration people luvvies, fatcats, out of touch or traitors).

Would you say that Christianity has been a good influence on the USA?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Evening all :)

I'll join the chorus of much deserved thanks to Cyclefree for another thought provoking piece.

I opined yesterday morning immigration was a complex multi-faceted issue and if easy answers existed, we'd be doing them.

On that basis, I approach anyone offering "solutions" with a degree of caution.

I have, I think, two major issues with what Cyclefree is, with all good faith, proposing. First is much of immigration (apart from the much publicised economic migrants) consists of family members seeking to join family already and legally resident in the UK. It's not easy to enforce the separation of families - brothers from sisters and the like and the fact is the family already provides the accommodation and arguably the employment that we regard as pre-requisites for those seeking to come here.

Second, I think I would want an immigration policy that would not lead to problems for those seeking to migrate from the UK. The other side of the coin, the migration of UK citizens to other countries, has to be part of immigration policy. They ought not, I think, to be separated and for those wishing to live their lives beyond the UK, the economic implications of that re-location need to be made clear.

It's not a sin to want to come to the UK, nor should it be a sin to want to leave. Quite apart from the retired, there are the successful who may consider better opportunities to fulfill their potential elsewhere (the US, Singapore, Australasia for example). As part of a holistic policy toward movement, we ought to think about those wanting to leave as much as those wanting to arrive.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360

Jeremy Corbyn has apparently gone on holiday. Tells you all you need to know!!!

He's gone away for 5 days, as have I'd say around 90% of MPs (Parliament's in recess this week). IIRC he's back tomorrow. Not an issue IMO.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    geoffw said:

"Mind the gap"?
    Between perception and reality?

Yes, if you like. Or between what an immigration policy what should be and what we have now.
  • Options

hunchman said:

I respectfully disagree that it would be difficult to emulate them though. Switzerland has had the ideal balance of a free trade, low tax, high skill economy. The UK is good on the first point (although undermined by the EU), average on the second and lamentably poor on the third.....which gives a fair indication as to why the UK is very much in the middle of the road in terms of income levels amongst developed economy peers.

I think the most significant difference is that because of its size, the UK's weight will always be felt in European affairs in a way that Switzerland can avoid. We change the balance and therefore other actors will inevitably draw us into their intrigues whether we like it or not. This wouldn't fundamentally change if we were outside the EU. Giving us what would be perceived as 'free-loader' status would grate on the remaining members of the EU.
    Our voting block in the parliament is only 8.4% though, and I can't think of an occasion on which the UK MEP's have voted en-block? And as for soft power - arguably we hold sway with the Nordics and have some influence amongst former communist countries in eastern Europe? But we've been outvoted more times than any other EU member state...so our influence strictly in EU terms is distinctly limited in my opinion.

One fascinating consequence of Brexit would be Anglo Russian relations. Putin being the much under-estimated clever politician that he is can clearly see the Russian interest in Brexit, and the resulting (calculated) weakening of the NATO alliance. Another factor is the US - Obama has already made one intervention in the campaign - can he realistically do so again? And anyway what is his influence, given he'll be off the scene in 7 and a bit months time.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

PeterC said:

welshowl said:

Got to say I disagree with the PB majority. I think some are getting carried away by the polling. Whilst good for Leave, we're over three weeks from the vote, and the leads are very small.

If EU citizens not eligible to vote are getting polling cards, that's many (hundreds of thousands?) voters likely to vote Remain.

And unless they are Cypriot, Maltese, or Irish surely it will be illegal with all that results in both individually and for the referendum?
    Does receipt of a polling card imply eligibility to vote? Logically it should do, but perhaps the Authority has sent poll cards out to everyone but will issue ballot papers only to UK residents. I wonder if this is happening in all Authorities or just the few highlighted so far.
    The likelihood is that a computer system has wrongly been set to treat the referendum as a national rather than local one.
    I know Vote Leave have targeted postal voters.

I was in the house of a postal voter and saw one of the mailings. She is an EU citizen and cannot vote in General Elections. Vote Leave cock up or Electoral Register cock up? I'll keep the forum informed of developments.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    hunchman said:

One fascinating consequence of Brexit would be Anglo Russian relations. Putin being the much under-estimated clever politician that he is can clearly see the Russian interest in Brexit, and the resulting (calculated) weakening of the NATO alliance.

Yes, and if Trump wins, the NATO alliance is going to have some hard questions asked of it even without Brexit so the realities of hard power can't be ignored.

It would be fascinating in some ways to see an EU behemoth sandwiched between an independent UK and Russia.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I respectfully disagree that it would be difficult to emulate them though. Switzerland has had the ideal balance of a free trade, low tax, high skill economy. The UK is good on the first point (although undermined by the EU), average on the second and lamentably poor on the third.....which gives a fair indication as to why the UK is very much in the middle of the road in terms of income levels amongst developed economy peers.

I think the most significant difference is that because of its size, the UK's weight will always be felt in European affairs in a way that Switzerland can avoid. We change the balance and therefore other actors will inevitably draw us into their intrigues whether we like it or not. This wouldn't fundamentally change if we were outside the EU. Giving us what would be perceived as 'free-loader' status would grate on the remaining members of the EU.
    Our voting block in the parliament is only 8.4% though, and I can't think of an occasion on which the UK MEP's have voted en-block? And as for soft power - arguably we hold sway with the Nordics and have some influence amongst former communist countries in eastern Europe? But we've been outvoted more times than any other EU member state...so our influence strictly in EU terms is distinctly limited in my opinion.

One fascinating consequence of Brexit would be Anglo Russian relations. Putin being the much under-estimated clever politician that he is can clearly see the Russian interest in Brexit, and the resulting (calculated) weakening of the NATO alliance. Another factor is the US - Obama has already made one intervention in the campaign - can he realistically do so again? And anyway what is his influence, given he'll be off the scene in 7 and a bit months time.
    Obama cheesed even my old mum off by telling us how to vote. Think it was part of the reason she drifted to Leave. Note the past tense she voted postally.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

He's gone away for 5 days, as have I'd say around 90% of MPs (Parliament's in recess this week). IIRC he's back tomorrow. Not an issue IMO.
    Yes I'm no fan of Corbyn, nor Cameron, but the oppobrium they receive for having the temerity to take a holiday is quite bonkers.
  • Options

EPG said:

Well you look at New England and the Quakers and you'd have to say Yes. Those people developed the habits that later made the Americans so successful. The only other answer I could give would be to say that Christianity is so fundamental to the United States of America, as a country whose foundational settlements were Christian colonies rather than (as in most of the world's nations) migration waves before the modern state came into being, that to distinguish the unique influence of Christianity on the USA is a mug's game.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

Tim_B said:

Verdict on new Top Gear -

@achrisevans: More bad news for the Top Gear haters: consolidated figures for the first episode of the new series have now past 5.6 million and counting.
    SHOUTY MC-SHOUTY FACE back at it again...he doth protest too much. By his measure, the old Top Gear's shown on Dave must have 100 million viewers....

It is a strange attitude. 75% of those expressing an opinion on twitter were negative, most of the press were negative etc etc etc and rather than taking the Tony Blair "we will listen to the public" approach to PR disasters, MC-SHOUTY FACE is basically giving it the middle finger to all those Top Gear fans who didn't like the first episode.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

One fascinating consequence of Brexit would be Anglo Russian relations. Putin being the much under-estimated clever politician that he is can clearly see the Russian interest in Brexit, and the resulting (calculated) weakening of the NATO alliance.
    I fail to see the connection between Brexit and the weakening of the NATO Alliance. If the remaining EU countries want to form an EU Armed Force, they will do so - whether we are in the EU or not. This is the true existential threat to NATO.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

hunchman said:

Clinton has the innovative idea of replaying Obama's campaign against Romney with Trump.

“Donald Trump is a pretty nontraditional candidate, but in a lot of ways we’re about to see a very traditional campaign, because it works,” said one former top Obama campaign official. “We beat the drum on Romney for months on jobs and his record, calling him out of touch with most Americans — for months — through paid media, candidate appearances, using surrogates.”

“I don’t think it’s a mistake,” he added. “But I don’t think we’ll know if it’s a mistake for months."

Hilary feeling the need to go to California to campaign and see off the Sanders threat tells you everything you need to know about the current state of her campaign. And as for aping Obama against Romney......haven't things moved on a bit in the past 4 years as to the average American and his / her confidence in government? Whatever one thinks of Trump, he is profiting from precisely the loss of confidence in government over that time. 'Change you can believe in' - that would go down like a lead balloon in the current climate.
    The Consumer Confidence Index, which has predicted 10 out of 12 of the last elections' Popular Vote correctly is below 100 and fading.

Is that you predicting a Trump victory? Or just sabre-rattling?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994

Seems unreasonably generous to me. Surely if you live abroad for that length of time you apply for that country's citizenship.

I don't see why you should be obliged to. Citizenship should have a deeper meaning than just where you live.
    You're not obliged to. But if you've opted out of the nation for 15 years why should you still get a vote?
    That just paid for the 40 years of services and governance you enjoyed (or laboured under depending on your outlook). I see no reason why it should qualify you to continue to take part in the decision making once you have decided to leave. I think 15 years is pretty generous.
  • Options

I agree, not an issue. Could you perhaps persuade him to go away more frequently and for longer?
  • Options
    Our latest AGW climate change proponent Fearsome Engineer (or however he spells it!) I've yet to engage in debate. He should watch this video for starters, and I suggest he see what the Austrian grape growers think. How many of them voted for Hofer? The stark urban rural divide was very noticeable in the presidential vote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCPk-XJmlt8
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

That would apply to General Elections too. The government is applying the standard franchise here not disenfranchising anyone who is a citizen and has the vote otherwise.
  • Options
    6 TIMES MCDONNELL SHARED PLATFORMS WITH TORIES

http://order-order.com/2016/05/31/6-times-mcdonnell-shared-platforms-with-tories/

I believe that is what one calls an own goal...we don't even have to mention platform sharing with the IRA...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    edited May 2016
    Immigration is very messy but I agree with Cyclefree that our current laws are simply not fit for purpose in a far more mobile world. This is a decision of the Inner House (basically Court of Appeal) of the Court of Session: http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=856415a7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

A better example of how our laws are not fit for purpose would not be easy to find. We gave political asylum to a Ugandan national whose political views were unacceptable to the regime there. He got leave to remain for a period and then indefinite leave to remain. His wife and 4 children then got leave to remain here on the back of his permission. He beat her up and they separated.

We have something called a domestic violence rule. Basically, that means that if your immigration status is dependent on another and you leave them because of domestic violence it should not affect your status so you don't have to stay in an abusive relationship. Until now that did not apply to those whose right to live here was precarious. But that has now been found to be a breach of article 14 which gives a right to be treated in a similar way to those in a similar position. So the Secretary of State's decision to refuse leave to remain to this woman who has no fear of persecution herself has been quashed and this woman and her 4 children get to continue living in Glasgow at our expense.

I make no comment at all as to whether this court has got the law right. What is clear is that the law is an ass and we simply cannot go on like this.
  • Options
    Shame on you, the state government of Oregon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs90lqBCHpE
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

Well you look at New England and the Quakers and you'd have to say Yes. Those people developed the habits that later made the Americans so successful. The only other answer I could give would be to say that Christianity is so fundamental to the United States of America, as a country whose foundational settlements were Christian colonies rather than (as in most of the world's nations) migration waves before the modern state came into being, that to distinguish the unique influence of Christianity on the USA is a mug's game.
    You presumably hold no truck with the notion that the USA is a nation founded on genocide and slavery.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

That just paid for the 40 years of services and governance you enjoyed (or laboured under depending on your outlook). I see no reason why it should qualify you to continue to take part in the decision making once you have decided to leave.

That's a very post-modern view of the nation state as being not so much a nation, but merely a council. In my view if you're British, you're British, and it's not unreasonable to think that you might care enough about the future of Britain for your vote to be worth something.
  • Options

6 TIMES MCDONNELL SHARED PLATFORMS WITH TORIES

http://order-order.com/2016/05/31/6-times-mcdonnell-shared-platforms-with-tories/

I believe that is what one calls an own goal...we don't even have to mention platform sharing with the IRA...

Are you saying the Tories shared a platform with a man who supported terrorism?

Quick, it's like a legitimate version of the Smear Khan strategy. Someone should tell, erm, Guido and the oligarch press to run a hit piece...
  • Options
    On topic I would be very concerned if we were to turn our backs on genuine asylum cases as seems to be intimated by Point 8. I think that we are perfectly capable of absorbing thousands (rather than ten or hundreds of thousands) of genuine asylum seekers each year and what has turned us against asylum as a country (if that is indeed the way people now think) is the mass non asylum migration over the last few decades which have hardened us against those who are genuinely in need.

I like to think that as a part of a sensible immigration policy outlined by Miss Cyclefree we would also find room for making a significant contribution to the international asylum system as a mature and responsible nation.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950

hunchman said:

viewcode said:

"Spline" (real name unknown) was a predictor who posted to HPC[2] in the Noughties. He found a relationship between house prices and Bank of England mortgage approvals that could predict house prices about three months out. He predicted the 2008 crash and the 2009 partial recovery but has not been heard from for many moons, and his website[1] has been dead for some time. A pity.

[1] h ttps://web.archive.org/web/20130828175930/http://www.houseprices.uk.net/articles/house_price_predictor/
    [2] h ttp://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/65339-wheres-spline-gone/page-3
  • Options

That would apply to General Elections too. The government is applying the standard franchise here not disenfranchising anyone who is a citizen and has the vote otherwise.
    has the vote otherwise – where? Not in the host country unless (s)he renounces British citizenship, and not here either because of our idiosyncratic 15 year rule. This is one area where European harmonisation would be in order.

• Options

That just paid for the 40 years of services and governance you enjoyed (or laboured under depending on your outlook). I see no reason why it should qualify you to continue to take part in the decision making once you have decided to leave.

That's a very post-modern view of the nation state as being not so much a nation, but merely a council. In my view if you're British, you're British, and it's not unreasonable to think that you might care enough about the future of Britain for your vote to be worth something.
    You can of course remain British and consider yourself British but that does not mean you should have the right to vote on issues if you choose not to live in the country where those issues will be implemented, particularly if you have no intention of returning permanently.

I also have in my mind the number of 90 day rule Brits who are happy to live outside the UK for tax purposes but expect to benefit from the country as and when they get tired of living abroad.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

hunchman said:

All the augurs point that way. Even the polls, perhaps against their will at first, are being ineluctably drawn towards that inevitable conclusion...

I mean, Hillary Clinton? C'mon now. The most morally bankrupt, pathologically venal and dangerously unstable woman in American public life as POTUS?

The stuff of nightmares. You know it. I know it. And the American public knows it...
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    hunchman said:

Science is not religion. You can't insist there is only one orthodoxy.

Science can only move on with people looking at and challenging what we believe. This law stops people doing that.
  • Options

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I fail to see the connection between Brexit and the weakening of the NATO Alliance. If the remaining EU countries want to form an EU Armed Force, they will do so - whether we are in the EU or not. This is the true existential threat to NATO.
    They're already well on the way to doing it, and as I understand it, our armed forces are well on the way to being integrated with French armed forces, a lot further in fact than is commonly realised or recognised. Brexit would likely cause chaos with regard the immediate positioning and inter-dependency with the French, so I can appreciate why the current top brass want the status quo to remain. That's cloud cuckoo land though expecting the status quo to endure. Its a bit like a repeat of 25 years ago in the post-Communist world which the armed forces have arguably been incredibly slow to adapt to having had the comfort blanket of cold war politics removed. Richard Dearlove speaking out in favour of Brexit is a noticeable exception, albeit long retired.

As for a weakening in NATO, Brexit is just one source of instability - EU Army initiatives are another as you identify along with the strains that Turkey is causing. I'd like to see an independent Kurdish state but that would be like waiting for a month of Sundays
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Scott_P said:

Tim_B said:

Verdict on new Top Gear -

@achrisevans: More bad news for the Top Gear haters: consolidated figures for the first episode of the new series have now past 5.6 million and counting.
    Good for them - it's the first show of the relaunch, so you expect decent ratings. Let's see how it goes in a couple of weeks.

If they ditch Evans and revamp the format they have a good chance of having a good show.

He is rather blowing his own horn to excess on this. Rather fits with the self-made man who admires his creator attitude he projects.
  • Options

Hear hear!
  • Options

hunchman said:

Science is not religion. You can't insist there is only one orthodoxy.

Science can only move on with people looking at and challenging what we believe. This law stops people doing that.
    Absolutely.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    RodCrosby said:

hunchman said:

The Index failed to predict Bush beating Kerry or Gore, Reagan beating Mondale or Nixon beating Humphrey, so is certainly not a stake through the heart for Clinton by any means
    http://rrhelections.com/index.php/2011/10/17/consumer-confidence-and-presidential-elections/
  • Options

I agree, not an issue. Could you perhaps persuade him to go away more frequently and for longer?
    Ideally every Wednesday with a view to a permanent departure to the allotment, Tuscany, wherever..
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    geoffw said:

has the vote otherwise – where? Not in the host country unless (s)he renounces British citizenship, and not here either because of our idiosyncratic 15 year rule. This is one area where European harmonisation would be in order.

I'm saying they don't have the vote otherwise (in any British election) so don't here either. It is entirely consistent with the established law.

Anyone who has lived abroad for over 15 years has done so knowing they'd lose the right to vote here. That is a choice they made consciously.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

hunchman said:

viewcode said:

"Spline" (real name unknown) was a predictor who posted to HPC[2] in the Noughties. He found a relationship between house prices and Bank of England mortgage approvals that could predict house prices about three months out. He predicted the 2008 crash and the 2009 partial recovery but has not been heard from for many moons, and his website[1] has been dead for some time. A pity.

[1] h ttps://web.archive.org/web/20130828175930/http://www.houseprices.uk.net/articles/house_price_predictor/
    [2] h ttp://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/65339-wheres-spline-gone/page-3
    That's basically saying BoE mortgage approvals are a 3 month leading indicator.......which is useful, but given the lags inherent in the property market.......and from history we know that property operates on the longest cycle of any asset market (78 years on the Martin Armstrong model).....but I don't think its a great leap forward, more common sense......although we could do with an awful lot more of that in the economics profession!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

On topic I would be very concerned if we were to turn our backs on genuine asylum cases as seems to be intimated by Point 8. I think that we are perfectly capable of absorbing thousands (rather than ten or hundreds of thousands) of genuine asylum seekers each year and what has turned us against asylum as a country (if that is indeed the way people now think) is the mass non asylum migration over the last few decades which have hardened us against those who are genuinely in need.

I like to think that as a part of a sensible immigration policy outlined by Miss Cyclefree we would also find room for making a significant contribution to the international asylum system as a mature and responsible nation.

A slight correction, it is the the mass non-asylum migrants coming here under the cloak of refugee or asylum status that has poisoned the well.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The BBC show was quite interesting actually. Interview with Bojo intercut with Osborne was effective

But the interesting part was the 2 producers

One who sells into the EU single market, and would be stuffed if we left.

One who wanted to sell outside the single market and was stymied by tariffs, which of course would still exist if we left...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    hunchman said:

I'd like to see an independent Kurdish state but that would be like waiting for a month of Sundays

There would have been one if the Treaty of Sevres hadn't been superseded by the Treaty of Lausanne.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

hunchman said:

All the augurs point that way. Even the polls, perhaps against their will at first, are being ineluctably drawn towards that inevitable conclusion...

I mean, Hillary Clinton? C'mon now. The most morally bankrupt, pathologically venal and dangerously unstable woman in American public life as POTUS?

The stuff of nightmares. You know it. I know it. And the American public knows it...
    Are they? Hillary leads Trump by 1% in the RCP average and by 201 to 164 in the EC
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/2016_elections_electoral_college_map.html

Richard Nixon won in 1968 despite being just as 'morally bankrupt, pathologically venal and dangerously unstable' as you describe Hillary to be, even if he only beat Humphrey by 0.7% he still beat him!
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    edited May 2016
    RodCrosby said:

morally bankrupt, pathologically venal and dangerously unstable

no particular fan of Hilary, but which of these doesn't apply to the Donald, too?
  • Options
    Happy families...

@montie: @Arron_banks If you can't say anything positive, will you just shut up until 24th June? Please.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

That is a fair point. But - and I don't say this easily - I think the basis for seeking asylum needs to be more tightly drawn, we should have the option of making it time limited i.e. once the emergency you are fleeing from is over, you no longer need (or get?) asylum and a country should be able to place an upper limit on numbers where it is facing hundreds of thousands or millions seeking asylum.

Numbers matter. A people's willingness to help strangers in need is possibly (probably?) in an inverse relationship with the numbers who may be eligible for help. At some point the numbers can simply feel overwhelming and at that point people may feel taken advantage of rather than compassionate. Compassion needs to be freely given not demanded as an entitlement.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

hunchman said:

Are they? Hillary leads Trump by 1% in the RCP average and by 201 to 164 in the EC
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/2016_elections_electoral_college_map.html

Richard Nixon won in 1968 despite being just as 'morally bankrupt, pathologically venal and dangerously unstable' as you describe Hillary to be, even if he only beat Humphrey by 0.7% he still beat him!
    You are talking about the American presidency with a birther... There is going to be an element of tendentiousness.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

hunchman said:

The Index failed to predict Bush beating Kerry or Gore, Reagan beating Mondale or Nixon beating Humphrey, so is certainly not a stake through the heart for Clinton by any means
    http://rrhelections.com/index.php/2011/10/17/consumer-confidence-and-presidential-elections/
    A different take here. It has failed twice vis-a-vis the PV.
    http://www.inquisitr.com/3143499/consumer-confidence-shows-win-for-donald-trump-in-november-and-its-rarely-wrong/
    1968 [huge DEM split narrowly handed election to Nixon]
    2012 [Obama had at least got the CCI up off the floor and heading toward 100]
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The BBC show was quite interesting actually. Interview with Bojo intercut with Osborne was effective

One who wanted to sell outside the single market and was stymied by tariffs, which of course would still exist if we left...

Quite likely not.

The EU is responsible for all tariffs on goods coming into the Single Market. This often results in retaliatory or reciprocal tariffs by other non EU countries. If we were outside the EU and so chose not to impose those tariffs on non EU goods then there is a good chance of an agreement that removes tariffs for our producers as well.

• Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,902
    hunchman said:

Our latest AGW climate change proponent Fearsome Engineer (or however he spells it!) I've yet to engage in debate. He should watch this video for starters, and I suggest he see what the Austrian grape growers think. How many of them voted for Hofer? The stark urban rural divide was very noticeable in the presidential vote:

Well, I looked, and here's what Susanne Staggl, marketing manager of the Austrian Wine Institute thinks:

At least two factors lead to the large scale of damage. Staggl said the rise in general average temperatures over the past few years has led to an earlier start of the vegetation cycle, making the vines more sensitive to such a late frost. She also said that the regions hit by the frost this month had little or no vines 20 years ago.

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/frost-in-austria-destroys-thousands-of-hectares-of-vines-31066/

So it would appear that the vines in question were being grown in areas that had only recently become warm enough to support them as a consequence of AGW, but they were caught out by a late frost. Perhaps the maker of your video should have done a little research before grasping the wrong end of the stick, and perhaps you should be a little more sceptical of random stuff you find on the internet!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Hypothetical Question:

Suppose Brexit wins, Cameron resigns, Boris (or another Brexit supporter) is elected Con leader (and thus becomes PM).

Boris (or whoever) then calls a GE to get a fresh mandate (I realise Lab would have to agree to get round Fixed Term Parliament Act - but Lab surely couldn't reject the chance of winning a GE).

Now my question - what would Lab's policy be re Brexit? Would Lab just say it would negotiate Brexit? Even when 90% of Lab MPs don't support it? And not a single member of Shadow Cabinet supports it?

But if Lab said they wouldn't go ahead with Brexit, they would be completely ridiculed as not following the wishes of the electorate. That would surely lead to electoral wipe-out - and I mean real wipe-out - say under 150 seats.

It looks like a heck of an awkward situation.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No, if we leave, we could negotiate a trade deal with Brazil. We used to have them with Brazil and Argentina. We'd get Chile (a long time ally) reasonably quickly I would have thought too.

What holds us up, is that the EU is very very slow at negotiating trade deals, particularly with useful growing markets who would like to sell us food for less than the EU does....
  • Options
    edited May 2016

RodCrosby said:

no particular fan of Hilary, but which of these doesn't apply to the Donald, too?
    None of them, with my amateur psychology hat on. Anyhow, I've known women like Clinton up close and personal. Bad, bad news...

But DYOR.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    Moses_ said:

geoffw said:

Out in the sun in his vest?
    He was also invited to the commemoration of the Battle of Jutland as LOTO but buggered off on holiday instead. He and his cohorts really do hate and loathe this country.

#TheNewPolitics
  • Options

Quite likely not.

The EU is responsible for all tariffs on goods coming into the Single Market. This often results in retaliatory or reciprocal tariffs by other non EU countries. If we were outside the EU and so chose not to impose those tariffs on non EU goods then there is a good chance of an agreement that removes tariffs for our producers as well.

If I understood it correctly, her complaint was specifically about a country for which the EU had no deal in place, and neither would the UK (in the short term)
  • Options
    God help me, I just placed bets (at small stakes) with Mr P Power on the Republican candidate to win North Carolina and Florida.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    MikeL said:

Hypothetical Question:

Suppose Brexit wins, Cameron resigns, Boris (or another Brexit supporter) is elected Con leader (and thus becomes PM).

Boris (or whoever) then calls a GE to get a fresh mandate (I realise Lab would have to agree to get round Fixed Term Parliament Act - but Lab surely couldn't reject the chance of winning a GE).

Now my question - what would Lab's policy be re Brexit? Would Lab just say it would negotiate Brexit? Even when 90% of Lab MPs don't support it? And not a single member of Shadow Cabinet supports it?

But if Lab said they wouldn't go ahead with Brexit, they would be completely ridiculed as not following the wishes of the electorate. That would surely lead to electoral wipe-out - and I mean real wipe-out - say under 150 seats.

Would you need Labour votes to get round the fixed term parliament act? Couldn't the Tories just repeal the act with their majority?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Now my question - what would Lab's policy be re Brexit? Would Lab just say it would negotiate Brexit?

The much more entertaining question is what would the Tory policy be?

Free movement for free trade, yes or no?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950
    hunchman said:

...They're already well on the way to doing it, and as I understand it, our armed forces are well on the way to being integrated with French armed forces, a lot further in fact than is commonly realised or recognised...

The Combined Joint Expeditionary Force, Exercise Griffin Strike 2016
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Quite likely not.

If I understood it correctly, her complaint was specifically about a country for which the EU had no deal in place, and neither would the UK (in the short term)
    I suppose the point is that at the moment we cannot make a deal with that country as all trade deals have to be done by the EU. So leaving the EU would make it possible for us to have a deal which might otherwise get held up for years.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    edited May 2016
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Hypothetical Question:

Would you need Labour votes to get round the fixed term parliament act? Couldn't the Tories just repeal the act with their majority?
    Maybe - not sure. But I suspect it would be very controversial and thus take time - ie the Lords would block it. OK, they could use the Parliament Act but that would take too long - it would defeat the object of the exercise - ie getting a quick, new mandate.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Hypothetical Question:

Great, great question.

I think if it is very close they could campaign on a no-Brexit ticket - as long as they had a credible leader from the right of the party. Might attract some leftish Europhile Tory votes. But that would mean Corbyn would have to do the honourable thing and resign. Unlikely.

• Options
    MikeL said:

Hypothetical Question:

That is an interesting scenario which may lead to Labour declining to support an election.

On another note, thanks for the article, Cyclefree. Very thought provoking. It is clear to me that immigration needs to be controlled to a rate that the population can accept.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Quite likely not.

Why not? Brazil used to be a major trading partner. (As did Argentina)
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

None of them, with my amateur psychology hat on. Anyhow, I've known women like Clinton up close and personal. Bad, bad news...

But DYOR.
    I doubt you have ever met Hillary, nor know her at all.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Happy families...

@montie: @Arron_banks If you can't say anything positive, will you just shut up until 24th June? Please.

I do kind of get the impression that Monty is just expressing the view that everyone on both sides of the argument holds as far as Banks is concerned.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

hunchman said:

A different take here. It has failed twice vis-a-vis the PV.
    http://www.inquisitr.com/3143499/consumer-confidence-shows-win-for-donald-trump-in-november-and-its-rarely-wrong/
    1968 [huge DEM split narrowly handed election to Nixon]
    2012 [Obama had at least got the CCI up off the floor and heading toward 100]
    It fails in very close elections though eg 1968 and 2000 and with this election likely to be very close too I would not say it predicts anything with certainty
  • Options
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

hunchman said:

You are talking about the American presidency with a birther... There is going to be an element of tendentiousness.
    Fair point
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

But DYOR.
    I doubt you have ever met Hillary, nor know her at all.

I have heard that fellow democrats, when on the committee investigating Nixon, thought her behaviour worse. Nothing I have seen since has changed that perception.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563

Scott_P said:

Happy families...

I do kind of get the impression that Monty is just expressing the view that everyone on both sides of the argument holds as far as Banks is concerned.
    You do get the feeling were Remain to win, Cameron will be honouring Arron Banks with a peerage for his contribution to a Remain victory.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    SeanT said:

Got to say I disagree with the PB majority. I think some are getting carried away by the polling. Whilst good for Leave, we're over three weeks from the vote, and the leads are very small.

If EU citizens not eligible to vote are getting polling cards, that's many (hundreds of thousands?) voters likely to vote Remain.

Oh. let us have our fun.

The REMAINIACS are now visibly and palpably terrified, after weeks and months of sneering and gloating and endless PB threaders on the "awfulness of the LEAVE campaign" (now leading).

The INNERS are eating crow. Good.
    I can feel it coming, they are going to up the ante to interstellar war....
  • Options
    Trump lambasts media for questioning veteran donations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36422611

Trump might be softening his policies but not his approach to the media. It's certainly not going to be dull.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,042
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

But DYOR.
    LOL. What a ridiculous post!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    SeanT said:

The REMAINIACS are now visibly and palpably terrified

Link?

This was all over the previous thread, Brexiteers crowing about how frightened the Remainers are. Can you point me to a single instance of a frightened EDIT: palpably terrified Remainer?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Happy families...

You do get the feeling were Remain to win, Cameron will be honouring Arron Banks with a peerage for his contribution to a Remain victory.
    Whereas if Leave wins, Osbourne will be given one for services to Leave :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Oh. let us have our fun.

The REMAINIACS are now visibly and palpably terrified, after weeks and months of sneering and gloating and endless PB threaders on the "awfulness of the LEAVE campaign" (now leading).

The INNERS are eating crow. Good.
    I can feel it coming, they are going to up the ante to interstellar war....
    To be fair, if a bunch of actual aliens turned up an offered an opinion it would be a bit of a game changer!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Hypothetical Question:

Labour and the SNP would say, "you want LEAVE, Mr PM, you made your bed, don't expect us to do your job if you really believe it". The Conservatives would have to repeal the Fixed-term Parliaments Act and would be accused of running away from their Brexit promise in the ensuing election. Labour would PROBABLY say the referendum vote was close, the debate in May/June was a Tory farce, and Cameron failed to negotiate a good deal, so give us a mandate to get a better deal and we'll call the proper in-out referendum. It might not work, of course, but beats insincerely saying they are Leave in tooth and claw. Unless the result is hugely more LEAVE than the polls say today, they need the pro-REMAIN vote more than pro-LEAVE.
  • Options

Why not?

We don't have one now. We won't one on the 24th either way.

So, in the short term, we won't have one...
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

hunchman said:

Yes, and if Trump wins, the NATO alliance is going to have some hard questions asked of it even without Brexit so the realities of hard power can't be ignored.

It would be fascinating in some ways to see an EU behemoth sandwiched between an independent UK and Russia.
    Didn't Enoch Powell advocate an Anglo-Russian alliance?

Sounded very odd during the Cold War, but they were our allies during the Napoleonic Wars and both World Wars.
  • Options
    Anyhoo I've managed to work in a Spider-Man reference into the morning thread. That's amused me no end.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Caroline Lucas, the Green party’s only MP, has declared she will stand for the party’s leadership in a job share with its work and pensions spokesman, Jonathan Bartley, under the slogan “The Power of Working TogethEr
  • Options
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

hunchman said:

Diddums. Unlike you, who can only burp buzzwords you've heard on the MSM, I can at least string together a legal and historical argument as to why I might be right [even if I'm ultimately proven wrong, which I haven't been yet]...
  • Options
    Looking at the front pages, Boris and Gove are going for the Australian points system for our immigration system were Brexit to win.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

But DYOR.
    LOL. What a ridiculous post!
    It is the kind of low-grade sexism that overwhelmingly male communities sometimes turn a blind eye to.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Why not?

We don't have one now. We won't one on the 24th either way.

So, in the short term, we won't have one...
    How long do you think it would take the EU to negotiate one compared to the UK?
  • Options

hunchman said:

Well, I looked, and here's what Susanne Staggl, marketing manager of the Austrian Wine Institute thinks:

At least two factors lead to the large scale of damage. Staggl said the rise in general average temperatures over the past few years has led to an earlier start of the vegetation cycle, making the vines more sensitive to such a late frost. She also said that the regions hit by the frost this month had little or no vines 20 years ago.

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/frost-in-austria-destroys-thousands-of-hectares-of-vines-31066/

So it would appear that the vines in question were being grown in areas that had only recently become warm enough to support them as a consequence of AGW, but they were caught out by a late frost. Perhaps the maker of your video should have done a little research before grasping the wrong end of the stick, and perhaps you should be a little more sceptical of random stuff you find on the internet!
    So 20 years ago, as per your linked article you were predicting this were you? and I quote:

"Meanwhile in Germany, where frost was not nearly as serious a problem this year, a helicopter was used for the first time ever to raise temperatures on frost-stricken vines, said German Wine Institute spokesman Ernst Büscher.
    Read more at http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/frost-in-austria-destroys-thousands-of-hectares-of-vines-31066/#yFjj7AYXR6Ak9CrU.99"

Pull the other one. Talk about clutching at straws!

The mini-ice age with global cooling into 2030 is just getting started. And rather than just confine our discussion to just Austria and Germany, what about the very cold winter in Mexico over 2015/6? Snow recorded in Okinawa for the first time in recorded history last winter? And snow for the first time 200 miles south of Hanoi for the first time?

And in Obama's backyard in Washington DC an abnormally cold May with remarkably few days above 80F for the month?

Incidences of cold weather are piling up around the globe, and no amount of temperature manipulation by NOAA and their friends can hide what is becoming increasingly obvious that global temperatures are starting to cool, confirmed by raw non-manipulated satellite data.
  • Options

Anyhoo I've managed to work in a Spider-Man reference into the morning thread. That's amused me no end.

I'm pleased something has! :)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited May 2016
    deleted as duplicated
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Looking at the front pages, Boris and Gove are going for the Australian points system for our immigration system were Brexit to win.

If we were to leave, I think that would be pretty sensible.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

That is a fair point. But - and I don't say this easily - I think the basis for seeking asylum needs to be more tightly drawn, we should have the option of making it time limited i.e. once the emergency you are fleeing from is over, you no longer need (or get?) asylum and a country should be able to place an upper limit on numbers where it is facing hundreds of thousands or millions seeking asylum.

Numbers matter. A people's willingness to help strangers in need is possibly (probably?) in an inverse relationship with the numbers who may be eligible for help. At some point the numbers can simply feel overwhelming and at that point people may feel taken advantage of rather than compassionate. Compassion needs to be freely given not demanded as an entitlement.
    I think we could go back to a national interpretation of the 1967 Refugee Protocol with a narrow reading of what a refugee is and hence who qualifies even for temporary shelf while a request for asylum is adjudicated. This would exclude displaced persons, no matter how awful their plight, if there were no clear persecution on an individual or group level.

The moral flip side is that, if we are not to extend asylum to displaced persons, we should be doing much more to assist in making life in camps for displaced persons near their homes as safe, comfortable and enriching as possible
This discussion has been closed.