Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mind the Gap

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

Looking at the front pages, Boris and Gove are going for the Australian points system for our immigration system were Brexit to win.

If we were to leave, I think that would be pretty sensible.
    Shows how low we've sunk, we're copying ideas from a nation of convicts.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2016
    Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

morally bankrupt, pathologically venal and dangerously unstable

no particular fan of Hilary, but which of these doesn't apply to the Donald, too?
    None of them, with my amateur psychology hat on. Anyhow, I've known women like Clinton up close and personal. Bad, bad news...

But DYOR.
    I doubt you have ever met Hillary, nor know her at all.

Whereas, you are one of her Flying Monkeys, I suppose...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

How long do you think it would take the EU to negotiate one compared to the UK?

That of course is completely unknowable, and also of course irrelevant to the original point
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    SeanT said:

Got to say I disagree with the PB majority. I think some are getting carried away by the polling. Whilst good for Leave, we're over three weeks from the vote, and the leads are very small.

If EU citizens not eligible to vote are getting polling cards, that's many (hundreds of thousands?) voters likely to vote Remain.

Oh. let us have our fun.

The REMAINIACS are now visibly and palpably terrified, after weeks and months of sneering and gloating and endless PB threaders on the "awfulness of the LEAVE campaign" (now leading).

The INNERS are eating crow. Good.
    Where exactly are these jelly-bellies of which you speak?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,405

Anyhoo I've managed to work in a Spider-Man reference into the morning thread. That's amused me no end.

With NO power, comes NO responsibility?
  • Options
    EPG said:

murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

no particular fan of Hilary, but which of these doesn't apply to the Donald, too?
    None of them, with my amateur psychology hat on. Anyhow, I've known women like Clinton up close and personal. Bad, bad news...

But DYOR.
    LOL. What a ridiculous post!
    It is the kind of low-grade sexism that overwhelmingly male communities sometimes turn a blind eye to.
    Like in many non-white communities?
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    MikeL said:

Hypothetical Question:

Suppose Brexit wins, Cameron resigns, Boris (or another Brexit supporter) is elected Con leader (and thus becomes PM).

Boris (or whoever) then calls a GE to get a fresh mandate (I realise Lab would have to agree to get round Fixed Term Parliament Act - but Lab surely couldn't reject the chance of winning a GE).

Now my question - what would Lab's policy be re Brexit? Would Lab just say it would negotiate Brexit? Even when 90% of Lab MPs don't support it? And not a single member of Shadow Cabinet supports it?

But if Lab said they wouldn't go ahead with Brexit, they would be completely ridiculed as not following the wishes of the electorate. That would surely lead to electoral wipe-out - and I mean real wipe-out - say under 150 seats.

It looks like a heck of an awkward situation.

Delicious scenario........a 1% likelihood though....if that!
  • Options

hunchman said:

One fascinating consequence of Brexit would be Anglo Russian relations. Putin being the much under-estimated clever politician that he is can clearly see the Russian interest in Brexit, and the resulting (calculated) weakening of the NATO alliance.

Yes, and if Trump wins, the NATO alliance is going to have some hard questions asked of it even without Brexit so the realities of hard power can't be ignored.

It would be fascinating in some ways to see an EU behemoth sandwiched between an independent UK and Russia.
    Didn't Enoch Powell advocate an Anglo-Russian alliance?

Sounded very odd during the Cold War, but they were our allies during the Napoleonic Wars and both World Wars.
    "It's like watching a nation write its own AV thread!"
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    RodCrosby said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

But DYOR.

So you're saying she's a witch, the same way you said Obama was a lying Kenyan.
  • Options

Anyhoo I've managed to work in a Spider-Man reference into the morning thread. That's amused me no end.

With NO power, comes NO responsibility?
    It could be the most controversial Spider-Man subject.

Who does Peter Parker love the most, Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane?
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

RobD said:

Looking at the front pages, Boris and Gove are going for the Australian points system for our immigration system were Brexit to win.

Why? Convicts can be quite imaginative. Have you not seen "The Shawshank Redemption"?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,993

RobD said:

Shows how low you have sunk that you are resorting to casual xenophobic stereotypes.
  • Options

RobD said:

Why? Convicts can be quite imaginative. Have you not seen "The Shawshank Redemption"?
    Here's a question, did Andy really murder his wife?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_P said:

Why not?

We don't have one now. We won't one on the 24th either way.

So, in the short term, we won't have one...
    That's a truly pathetic argument for sclerosis and never changing anything.
  • Options

RobD said:

Racist Remainer!
  • Options

RobD said:

Shows how low you have sunk that you are resorting to casual xenophobic stereotypes.
    It was a joke.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

RobD said:

At least they are our convicts :)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2016
    O/T

For those persisting with IE11 and who get script errors on PB.. UNINSTALL Google toolbar

Am about to reinstall as it seems to clear the problem.. One could almost think Win10/IE11 was malicious to Google toolbar.. but we will see...

Square Root
  • Options
    EPG said:

RodCrosby said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

But DYOR.

Confusing me with someone else. His father was a (British) Kenyan, which he concedes himself.

Not what the Founders, Framers and Ratifiers had in mind for father of a POTUS.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

How long do you think it would take the EU to negotiate one compared to the UK?

That of course is completely unknowable, and also of course irrelevant to the original point
    It isn't on either score. The EU takes donkeys years. Australia can knock them out in 18 to 24 months.

Bottom line is that we can do deals with who we want, and at speed.

The point being that the EU isn't interested in what we want by way of trade deals. Which is why other countries do include services in their deals but the EU does not.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    RodCrosby said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

But DYOR.

So now you are comparing her to a fictional witch?

• Options

No, it's a statement of fact.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Very clever. It says THIS IS IT. This is our system. No ifs, no buts, no bollocks.

And they've waited a while to do it.
    I suspect Dave and Remain are going to crank it up 110 on the economy.

It's going to come down to 3 million jobs versus 3 million immigrants.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

RodCrosby said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

But DYOR.

Confusing me with someone else. His father was a (British) Kenyan, which he concedes himself.

Isn't anyone born in the US eligible to be the President? (he says as he hears the sound of an enormous can of worms being opened)
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 950
    Regular lurker here - but I rarely post. Anyway, a question has come to mind that I've not yet seen discussed - what (if anything) does the display of posters/signs/banners tell us about the states of the campaign?

I've driven well over 1000 miles for work in the last 10 days covering locations from Carlisle to Milton Keynes, including bits of Derby, Stoke on Trent, Sheffield, etc.
    I've seen quite a few leave posters in all these places, both official and various standards of home-made, but I've yet to spot a single remain poster.
    It's totally unlikely a GE, where while often a party dominates an area's signage, you can usually even find the odd lib dem banner if you look hard enough, and the signage ratios change by location (e.g. the estate where I live usually has mainly labour posters, the farmers in the rural surroundings vote tory) - this time round it feels like there isn't a remain campaign to have posters.

I've no idea if this signifies anything more significant that the remain campaign not being so generous dishing out posters, but I do find myself wondering if it's a pointer to something more substantial.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Very clever. It says THIS IS IT. This is our system. No ifs, no buts, no bollocks.

So we don't have access to the single market. That is not necessarily a winning message
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

At least they are our convicts :)
    "You're all gonna die. The only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet? Or on your fuckin' knees... begging? I ain't much for begging! Nobody ever gave me nothing! So I say *fuck* that thing! Let's fight it!"
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Thanks for responses - I think it looks as if the most likely answer is that there wouldn't be a GE.

ie Lab would refuse or Boris wouldn't take the risk of Lab refusing. Repealing Fixed Term Act is a non-starter as would be far too messy / take too long.

So no GE and Boris would just have to get on with Brexit.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,993

RobD said:

It was a joke.
    Should have used a smiley then shouldn't you.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    theProle said:

Regular lurker here - but I rarely post. Anyway, a question has come to mind that I've not yet seen discussed - what (if anything) does the display of posters/signs/banners tell us about the states of the campaign?

I've driven well over 1000 miles for work in the last 10 days covering locations from Carlisle to Milton Keynes, including bits of Derby, Stoke on Trent, Sheffield, etc.
    I've seen quite a few leave posters in all these places, both official and various standards of home-made, but I've yet to spot a single remain poster.
    It's totally unlikely a GE, where while often a party dominates an area's signage, you can usually even find the odd lib dem banner if you look hard enough, and the signage ratios change by location (e.g. the estate where I live usually has mainly labour posters, the farmers in the rural surroundings vote tory) - this time round it feels like there isn't a remain campaign to have posters.

I've no idea if this signifies anything more significant that the remain campaign not being so generous dishing out posters, but I do find myself wondering if it's a pointer to something more substantial.

I have also seen quite a few "Vote Leave" posters in windows over the past couple of weeks (around Chester & Ellesmere Port), but yet to see a "Remain" poster.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2016

O/T

For those persisting with IE11 and who get script errors on PB.. UNINSTALL Google toolbar

Am about to reinstall as it seems to clear the problem.. One could almost think Win10/IE11 was malicious to Google toolbar.. but we will see...

Square Root

Confirmed that uninstall and re-install google toolbar resolvers issues with script errors on PB..(with IE 11 )

No script errors on Edge. Firefox or Chrome..

Ironically, my bank cannot cope with Google Chrome Browser WTF????
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

So we don't have access to the single market. That is not necessarily a winning message
    More than 300,000 new EU immigrants per year is certainly not a winning message.
  • Options

SeanT said:

....and remind me which economic area in the world has the highest overall unemployment rate? and 60% youth unemployment in parts?

You really couldn't make it up - more ridiculous economic scare stories that are par for the course as far as the Remain campaign are concerned.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127
    theProle said:

If you look at indyref the posters were about 90% Yes 10% No, I don't think it signifies much other than those backing the status quo don't want to be seen as unpatriotic and have their windows smashed in or their fences vandalised!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No, it's a statement of fact.
    It's a meaningless truism.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

theProle said:

I have also seen quite a few "Vote Leave" posters in windows over the past couple of weeks (around Chester & Ellesmere Port), but yet to see a "Remain" poster.
    Interested to hear your feel on this Danny - my feel is that Leave has hardened a lot in the South in recent weeks. You seem to be a bit ahead of the curve on Labour member reactions to future developments...
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

SeanT said:

Yes but one's speculation and bollocks and the other is an ONS figure and real.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Thanks for responses - I think it looks as if the most likely answer is that there wouldn't be a GE.

ie Lab would refuse or Boris wouldn't take the risk of Lab refusing. Repealing Fixed Term Act is a non-starter as would be far too messy / take too long.

It would be Labour's greatest opportunity in British history to force the Conservatives into error after error.

Even Jeremy Corbyn could not mess it up as long as John McDonnell is in the room.
  • Options
    O/T - if its a Sunday mens final in the French Open, could Rome repeat itself and favour Mr Murray? Just the small matter of Gasquet...and Wawrinka(?) to overcome before that though!
  • Options

It isn't on either score. The EU takes donkeys years. Australia can knock them out in 18 to 24 months.

Oh dear.

The Hovercraft woman wants to vote Out "because the EU has no trade deal with Brazil"

If we vote Leave, on the 24th, she still won't be able to sell her Hovercraft any easier than now.

It is possible (but not knowable) that in the process of negotiating trade deals with everyone in the World, including our largest market the EU, Brexit Britain could sign a trade deal to sell Hovercraft to Brazil earlier than the EU concludes such a deal, but that is unknowable, and irrelevant.
  • Options

SeanT said:

If that is the only response, then Remain will likely lose.

It is just this, over and over again: http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/16/mortimer-with-a-tip-for-the-more-adventurous-gamblers/
  • Options

That just paid for the 40 years of services and governance you enjoyed (or laboured under depending on your outlook). I see no reason why it should qualify you to continue to take part in the decision making once you have decided to leave.

That's a very post-modern view of the nation state as being not so much a nation, but merely a council. In my view if you're British, you're British, and it's not unreasonable to think that you might care enough about the future of Britain for your vote to be worth something.
    Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    A very good article. However it does not address the two main classes of non-economic immigrant: spouses and children of British citizens, and students
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Well, yes. The sort of thing you keep back so it's new and interesting.
  • Options

RobD said:

Here's a question, did Andy really murder his wife?
    No. Really. He didn't.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Yet more of your money well spent by the EU

MEPs On The Move: 'Madness Of Strasbourg Shift'
    Once a month the European Parliament moves from Brussels to Strasbourg at a cost of £150m a year as lorries transport paperwork.

http://news.sky.com/story/1701639/meps-on-the-move-madness-of-strasbourg-shift

Utter lunacy from an elite that could not give a damn
  • Options
    hunchman said:

O/T - if its a Sunday mens final in the French Open, could Rome repeat itself and favour Mr Murray? Just the small matter of Gasquet...and Wawrinka(?) to overcome before that though!

I saw a stat earlier that Murray is something like 16-1 when playing people in their "home" tournaments, such as Gasquet in France
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

It is just this, over and over again: http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/16/mortimer-with-a-tip-for-the-more-adventurous-gamblers/
    Disagree. Remain may lose anyway but by far its best chance is to hammer the economic stuff over and over and over.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

theProle said:

I've seen just two referendum posters, in toto.

Both REMAIN, and both in... Primrose Hill.
    One in each of Ed's kitchen windows then?
  • Options

RobD said:

It was a joke.
    Should have used a smiley then shouldn't you.
    Or perhaps *innocent face*... ;)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    hunchman said:

....and remind me which economic area in the world has the highest overall unemployment rate? and 60% youth unemployment in parts?.

Detroit?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Problem is that they've already cranked it up to 200, and people have just turned off. So good luck with that.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

RodCrosby said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

But DYOR.

Isn't anyone born in the US eligible to be the President? (he says as he hears the sound of an enormous can of worms being opened)
    Of course not.

The words "born in the US" are at least as easy to say as - I'm sure you'll concede - the words "natural born citizen." Ergo there was no earthly reason - if that was what the Founders meant - for them not to say it. Moreover, we know that is not what they meant, since they specifically rejected the former words for the latter...

The Supreme Court told us what they meant in 1875.

"The Constitution does not, in words, say who shall be natural-born citizens. Resort must be had elsewhere to ascertain that. At common-law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives, or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners."
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Once a month the European Parliament moves from Brussels to Strasbourg at a cost of £150m a year as lorries transport paperwork.

France are clearly able to get away with this arrangement, yet the EU offered us bupkis.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

More than 300,000 new EU immigrants per year is certainly not a winning message.

...who are coming because our economy is booming.

Osborne actually predicted this on the BBC show earlier.

"You can reduce immigration by crashing the economy"

Which is exactly what the Brexiteers are proposing.

It's Genius. Can't possibly fail...
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Disagree. Remain may lose anyway but by far its best chance is to hammer the economic stuff over and over and over.
    If that is truly their best chance, then we're Leaving.

If I were in the Remain campaign right now, I'd be looking to put forward as much UK legislation to distract from the one major law that cannot be changed - freedom of movement. And stop talking down to people.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

The Hovercraft woman wants to vote Out "because the EU has no trade deal with Brazil"

If we vote Leave, on the 24th, she still won't be able to sell her Hovercraft any easier than now.

It is possible (but not knowable) that in the process of negotiating trade deals with everyone in the World, including our largest market the EU, Brexit Britain could sign a trade deal to sell Hovercraft to Brazil earlier than the EU concludes such a deal, but that is unknowable, and irrelevant.
    You are a troll or an idiot. Why would she care what the deal is on the 24th? Is she only intending to vote for one day and ignore the rest of her LIFE?

It is not irrelevant that we could and likely will sign deals with growing economies faster than the sclerotic and moribund EU. It is irrelevant that it won't have been done within 24 hours of the vote.
  • Options

hunchman said:

....and remind me which economic area in the world has the highest overall unemployment rate? and 60% youth unemployment in parts?.

Detroit?
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/737685078290104320
  • Options
    theProle said:

Interesting. I haven't seen a remain poster anywhere either. I don't think people want to show there colours as much maybe.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

France are clearly able to get away with this arrangement, yet the EU offered us bupkis.
    https://twitter.com/55Massey/status/737671548803260420
  • Options
    The comments are weird. About five days ago, there was a consensus that LEAVE'S DOOMED. Now the consensus is REMAIN'S DOOMED. One thing's for sure: it's hardly an indicator of feeling in the country as a whole.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Why not? China does. So does the USA. In fact the EU is trying to negotiate free trade deals as well.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Its a case of does leave neutralise the economic arguments effectively? Or does remain neutralise the immigration arguments effectively? My gut instinct is that economics trumps immigration, and as I said last night, for those whom immigration is most important, they're already in the leave camp and not in play. Leave have to neutralise the economic question to level pegging, just like Blair neutralised the question of tax with the Tories in the run up to 1997. If leave can do that over the next 23 days then immigration will decide it. If not then it will be a narrow defeat, but Brexit will remain on the political docket just as the SINDY result was sufficiently close not to put the issue to bed like the unionist camp hoped it would.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

...who are coming because our economy is booming.

Osborne actually predicted this on the BBC show earlier.

"You can reduce immigration by crashing the economy"

Which is exactly what the Brexiteers are proposing.

It's Genius. Can't possibly fail...
    So, to precis, you basically don't care about immigration?

This sounds pretty similar to the remain campaign. And it is not working.

Immigration is an important issue for a large number of British voters, for various fundamental reasons.

And Remain's response is somewhere between 'LALALALALA' and 'but if we leave you'll be poorer'. For those impacted by immigration, who are already poorer and see their children becoming increasingly so, that threat is simply worthless. It baffles me that this PM doesn't get this. It baffles me more that our hopeless party leadership doesn't understand that it needs to fix it to heal the party as well as helping the country.
  • Options
    We need not trouble ourselves with what Corbyn might want to do in the event of a Leave result, but McDonnell is not completely stupid. The strategy is so blindingly obvious that there is no chance of McDonnell getting it wrong: wait for the economic collapse and the concomitant continuation of the Tory civil war (remember, there will be a leadership contest in the midst of the economic chaos), and blame the whole sorry mess on the Tories. This is a winning strategy by any standard, although the fact that Labour have managed to mislay Scotland is a complicating factor.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Wanderer said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

If that is truly their best chance, then we're Leaving.

If I were in the Remain campaign right now, I'd be looking to put forward as much UK legislation to distract from the one major law that cannot be changed - freedom of movement. And stop talking down to people.
    If it becomes a referendum on immigration then Leave will win regardless of any pootling around like that. Remain's best chance is to keep repeating that the electorate can do this but it will cost lots and lots and lots of their money.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

You are a troll or an idiot. Why would she care what the deal is on the 24th? Is she only intending to vote for one day and ignore the rest of her LIFE?

It is not irrelevant that we could and likely will sign deals with growing economies faster than the sclerotic and moribund EU. It is irrelevant that it won't have been done within 24 hours of the vote.
    Brazils economy is not looking very dynamic at present, it is being outperformed by Greece!

Brazils economy shrank by 3.8% last year.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

Brazils economy is not looking very dynamic at present, it is being outperformed by Greece!

Yeah, but apparently Europe's dying. LEAVE wants to pursue free trade with... erm, China. And America, but they also hate TTIP.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Detroit?
    The latest I heard was that Detroit has started coming back.....although how long that will last with the mess that Illinois is in more generally with regard to pensions is open to question.........but this is all an aside, you know what I meant by economic area within a wider global sense!
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,902
    hunchman said:

So 20 years ago, as per your linked article you were predicting this were you? and I quote:

"Meanwhile in Germany, where frost was not nearly as serious a problem this year, a helicopter was used for the first time ever to raise temperatures on frost-stricken vines, said German Wine Institute spokesman Ernst Büscher.
    Read more at http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/frost-in-austria-destroys-thousands-of-hectares-of-vines-31066/#yFjj7AYXR6Ak9CrU.99"

Pull the other one. Talk about clutching at straws!

The mini-ice age with global cooling into 2030 is just getting started. And rather than just confine our discussion to just Austria and Germany, what about the very cold winter in Mexico over 2015/6? Snow recorded in Okinawa for the first time in recorded history last winter? And snow for the first time 200 miles south of Hanoi for the first time?

And in Obama's backyard in Washington DC an abnormally cold May with remarkably few days above 80F for the month?

Incidences of cold weather are piling up around the globe, and no amount of temperature manipulation by NOAA and their friends can hide what is becoming increasingly obvious that global temperatures are starting to cool, confirmed by raw non-manipulated satellite data.

You'll forgive me if I choose not to accompany you on your little Gish Gallop.

Let's stick to your original contention, shall we? The video you posted claimed that the destruction of vines by a late frost constitutes evidence against global warming. However, the spokewoman for the Austrian wine industry that I quoted explained that it had only been possible to grow the vines in question at these locations in the first place because the climate had warmed over the last few decades. The death of these vines is therefore not an indicator of a cooling climate; rather, the fact that they exist in the first place is evidence of a warming climate. The video completely misrepresents the situation.
  • Options

We need not trouble ourselves with what Corbyn might want to do in the event of a Leave result, but McDonnell is not completely stupid. The strategy is so blindingly obvious that there is no chance of McDonnell getting it wrong: wait for the economic collapse and the concomitant continuation of the Tory civil war (remember, there will be a leadership contest in the midst of the economic chaos), and blame the whole sorry mess on the Tories. This is a winning strategy by any standard, although the fact that Labour have managed to mislay Scotland is a complicating factor.

Yes, the "price worth paying" stuff would come home to roost with a vengeance.
  • Options

To be honest, if I were the Tory PM that followed Dave in the wake of Brexit, I would think nothing of pushing a repeat of the FTPA through the commons and creating (or perhaps just threatening to create) sufficient Lords to force it through the Lords.

It would make Labour look so chicken that it would cancel out any howling from any quarters.
  • Options
    EPG said:

MikeL said:

It would be Labour's greatest opportunity in British history to force the Conservatives into error after error.

Even Jeremy Corbyn could not mess it up as long as John McDonnell is in the room.
    Yes, but even John McDonnell has to go to the loo.... ;)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I don't accept the Farage playbook that any problems we have can be solved by "blaming others for coming over here stealing our jobs"

Xenophobia is a problem, not the solution.

Immigration is a measure of how healthy the economy is, not how sick the country is.

If you want to crash the economy to "keep Johnny Foreigner" out, that's your prerogative, but I will not be joining you
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

Is Brazil the only nation outside the EU? Nobody is proposing we put all our eggs in one basket, except Remain.

And even though Brazil has entered a recession last year, over the last decade it has grown substantially better than the Eurozone.
  • Options

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

twitter.com/55Massey/status/737671548803260420
    I don't see the connection. The EU sets the absolute minimum. France decided herself to have better rights than those minima.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

No. The EU can't negotiate trade deals quickly, we can. We don't have the burden of 28 sets of vested interests we only have one.

It isn't unknowable, it's known.
  • Options

Though what if there is no economic collapse?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2016
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Detroit?
    The latest I heard was that Detroit has started coming back.....although how long that will last with the mess that Illinois is in more generally with regard to pensions is open to question.........but this is all an aside, you know what I meant by economic area within a wider global sense!
    Detroit is in Michigan. The most notable city in Illinois is Chicago. They are quite a long way apart.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

I don't accept the Farage playbook that any problems we have can be solved by "blaming others for coming over here stealing our jobs"

Immigration is a measure of how healthy the economy is, not how sick the country is.

If you want to crash the economy to "keep Johnny Foreigner" out, that's your prerogative, but I will not be joining you
    Good grief, no wonder Remain are trailing in the latest polls.

If xenophobia is the only response Remain have to one of the major concerns of this nation, especially of those with the littlest hope, I can't wait to Leave.
  • Options

Shall we have a wager then?

In the event of Brexit, UK to have signed a trade deal with Brazil before the EU does?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    hunchman said:

Actually I was making a semi-serious point. Greece is absolutely tiny, a lot smaller in GDP terms than Michigan. No-one claims that the US is a basket-case or close to collapsing because of the economic nightmare of Detroit, the murder rate in LA, or the illegal immigration problem in Texas. But the echo chamber of the Leavers gleefully jumps on any real or imaginary bad news anywhere in Europe (even if the bad news has absolutely zilch to do with the EU as such, let alone our membership of it) as somehow showing we should leave the EU.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Detroit?

Detroit is in Michigan. We did an event there last month. It's at the start of a very long journey.

• Options

Then he hasn't lost anything.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    edited May 2016

A very good article. However it does not address the two main classes of non-economic immigrant: spouses and children of British citizens, and students

There are a number of things it does not cover, for length reasons, apart from anything else.

On the whole I think under age children and spouses should be together. But two points:-

1. We need to deal with abuses of the "right to family life". If you marry a foreigner you have to accept that you may be required to move with your spouse to their country e.g. If your spouse breaks laws and is no longer persona grata here. The right to family life is not inextricably linked to a life in the UK. It is perfectly possible to have a family life in many many other countries.

2. Partly also in reply to @stodge, just because one person in a family moves does not mean that all other members of that family should also be entitled to move to the same country. Both my parents left their families and home countries to move to the UK. Why should their parents and 11 siblings also have been entitled to move?

It is curious - and, IMO, not frankly tenable - to argue simultaneously for migration on a global scale and for extended families to live together all in the same place in a way which has not really existed here since the industrial Revolution. I mean, really, how many extended families live like that in Britain? Ask people in Cornish villages about the chances of their children getting to live in the same village they grew up in near Mum and Dad. And yet we're expected to be sanguine about a person arriving here from half-way round the world and expecting, demanding even, that their parents and siblings be allowed to move here. I think not. I think a lot of people will find this really quite unfair.
  • Options

hunchman said:

So 20 years ago, as per your linked article you were predicting this were you? and I quote:

"Meanwhile in Germany, where frost was not nearly as serious a problem this year, a helicopter was used for the first time ever to raise temperatures on frost-stricken vines, said German Wine Institute spokesman Ernst Büscher.
    Read more at http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/frost-in-austria-destroys-thousands-of-hectares-of-vines-31066/#yFjj7AYXR6Ak9CrU.99"

e data.

Let's stick to your original contention, shall we? The video you posted claimed that the destruction of vines by a late frost constitutes evidence against global warming. However, the spokewoman for the Austrian wine industry that I quoted explained that it had only been possible to grow the vines in question at these locations in the first place because the climate had warmed over the last few decades. The death of these vines is therefore not an indicator of a cooling climate; rather, the fact that they exist in the first place is evidence of a warming climate. The video completely misrepresents the situation.
    Stop digging a deeper hole for yourself! Nobody is denying that the climate warmed between the mid-1970's (when incidentally some were predicting a new mini-ice age, just like analysts screaming sell at the bottom of a bear market in stocks!) and 1997/98.....thanks to the increasingly robust activity of the sun in solar cycles 21 and 22. Since then its turned down, and global temperatures (non-manipulated) are starting to do so too. And anyway, Austrian wine production was very high in the early 1980's before the chemical addition scandal broke in 1985.....at which point I guess some historical vineyards were done away with following it up until about 20 years ago, when yet again people were caught moving in the wrong direction at a long term change in trend. Wine growing in the eastern part of Austria has an extremely long history. And as I'm sure you're aware, vines were grown in northern England in the medieval warm period (as well as crops grown in eastern Greenland.....witness the clue in the name!)..........so by all means carry on using your warmest ever nonsense......anyone with an ounce of sense will see that its absolute bol*ox, not as though it will stop you for one moment I'm sure!
  • Options

No. The EU can't negotiate trade deals quickly, we can. We don't have the burden of 28 sets of vested interests we only have one.

Err, you seem to have forgotten that (a) we'd have to make a lot of deals to replace existing ones, and (b) whilst we'd have a simpler set of vested interests on our side, we'd also have a lesser incentive on the other side to do a deal. It's cloud cuckoo-land to think this on balance would be hugely easier; rather the reverse, probably, as the US has made clear.
  • Options

Let's hope that is the case. It's worth remembering the "scare stories" that the establishment No side were accused of telling about oil and the Scottish economy during the independence referendum turned out to be true.

• Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

e data.

Stop digging a deeper hole for yourself! Nobody is denying that the climate warmed between the mid-1970's (when incidentally some were predicting a new mini-ice age, just like analysts screaming sell at the bottom of a bear market in stocks!) and 1997/98.....thanks to the increasingly robust activity of the sun in solar cycles 21 and 22. Since then its turned down, and global temperatures (non-manipulated) are starting to do so too. And anyway, Austrian wine production was very high in the early 1980's before the chemical addition scandal broke in 1985.....at which point I guess some historical vineyards were done away with following it up until about 20 years ago, when yet again people were caught moving in the wrong direction at a long term change in trend. Wine growing in the eastern part of Austria has an extremely long history. And as I'm sure you're aware, vines were grown in northern England in the medieval warm period (as well as crops grown in eastern Greenland.....witness the clue in the name!)..........so by all means carry on using your warmest ever nonsense......anyone with an ounce of sense will see that its absolute bol*ox, not as though it will stop you for one moment I'm sure!
    It's June in less than one hour - not very June-like weather today!
  • Options

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Detroit?

Detroit is in Michigan. We did an event there last month. It's at the start of a very long journey.

Apologies, my mistake. There is a little village of Detroit in Illinois though! And the Michigan state pension scheme is in quite a mess too.
  • Options

Err, you seem to have forgotten that (a) we'd have to make a lot of deals to replace existing ones, and (b) whilst we'd have a simpler set of vested interests on our side, we'd also have a lesser incentive on the other side to do a deal. It's cloud cuckoo-land to think this on balance would be hugely easier; rather the reverse, probably, as the US has made clear.

To be fair Iceland has done a trade deal with China. It was very quick as there was not much negotiation. We could take a similar approach.

• Options

Just to be clear, the economic abyss into which we will sink, according to the treasury (not me, or Leave) is 4 quarters of -0.1%. So hardly anything at all. And we are supposed to notice this over the effect of say a EURO area banking collapse in say Italy or Greece?

• Options

Let's hope that is the case. It's worth remembering the "scare stories" that the establishment No side were accused of telling about oil and the Scottish economy during the independence referendum turned out to be true.

Oil was a case of all the SNPs eggs being in one oil barrel though.

The same is not true here.
  • Options

Just to be clear, the economic abyss into which we will sink, according to the treasury (not me, or Leave) is 4 quarters of -0.1%. So hardly anything at all. And we are supposed to notice this over the effect of say a EURO area banking collapse in say Italy or Greece?

We'll feel the affect whether we are in or out of the EU.

• Options

That Unionist chestnut yet again! As I've said countless times on here on the subject, the appeal of Scottish independence was and is by and large an EMOTIONAL one, and not an ECONOMIC one.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

So your going for the Gordon brown stance,can we check back what Scott was posting at the time of his 2010 GE crash on TV.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Shall we have a wager then?

In the event of Brexit, UK to have signed a trade deal with Brazil before the EU does?
    You're on. a fiver?
  • Options

So your going for the Gordon brown stance

I am going for the anti-Farage stance, where I have always stood
  • Options

hunchman said:

Actually I was making a semi-serious point. Greece is absolutely tiny, a lot smaller in GDP terms than Michigan. No-one claims that the US is a basket-case or close to collapsing because of the economic nightmare of Detroit, the murder rate in LA, or the illegal immigration problem in Texas. But the echo chamber of the Leavers gleefully jumps on any real or imaginary bad news anywhere in Europe (even if the bad news has absolutely zilch to do with the EU as such, let alone our membership of it) as somehow showing we should leave the EU.
    You're comparing a city with a country. Maybe if only Athens was struggling then it'd be apt.

Greece has a population of 11 million people.
    Detroit has a population of 0.6 million.
This discussion has been closed.