Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How old men being available on Friday nights to do online p

Comments

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Is TSE really canvassing for REMAIN?

CANVASSING?

I can - kind of - comprehend a Tory reluctantly voting REMAIN, with teeth clenched and nose pegged.

But to go out and canvass for EU membership.

It's like discovering your hitherto pleasant neighbour is not just a collaborator, but is actually fucking a Gestapo officer.

You do realise some people think remaining is a good idea. Why should it be shocking that they canvas for what they believe in?
    This may be back to the 2 nations thing discussed earlier but I honestly really struggle to imagine the mind set of someone who thought the EU in its current form was a good idea. I can very easily understand the mind set of someone who thought that it was not great but all the alternatives were worse and not worth the disruption. But EU = good? I mean, seriously?

TSE gets a buzz from political campaigning. The reason for campaigning is not the main point. Fair enough. We all have hobbies and some are more self destructive.
    I was quite content to sit out this referendum campaign, but I was moved into campaign for remain the moment people started openly talking about using the referendum to topple Dave and replace him with someone like Liam Fucking Fox.

Was the moment I decided 'Tory Leavers delenda est'
    Delenda sunt.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

I can - kind of - comprehend a Tory reluctantly voting REMAIN, with teeth clenched and nose pegged.

It's like discovering your hitherto pleasant neighbour is not just a collaborator, but is actually fucking a Gestapo officer.

You do realise some people think remaining is a good idea. Why should it be shocking that they canvas for what they believe in?
    This may be back to the 2 nations thing discussed earlier but I honestly really struggle to imagine the mind set of someone who thought the EU in its current form was a good idea. I can very easily understand the mind set of someone who thought that it was not great but all the alternatives were worse and not worth the disruption. But EU = good? I mean, seriously?

TSE gets a buzz from political campaigning. The reason for campaigning is not the main point. Fair enough. We all have hobbies and some are more self destructive.
    I was quite content to sit out this referendum campaign, but I was moved into campaign for remain the moment people started openly talking about using the referendum to topple Dave and replace him with someone like Liam Fucking Fox.

I find it hard it hard to understand how someone can adore a politician as you do Cameron. I guess it must be like the way some people once viewed Blair.
    It's not adoration, Dave has many flaws, but I'm not content to sit back and see the Tory Eurosceptics do a rerun of 1993 to 2005, because that was a great time to be a Tory.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

ROFL yeah like that;s going to happen

Ah, a future prediction expert. Just what a betting site needs...
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

I don't think anyone sane wants Liam Fox as leader do they?
  • Options

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

Check the comments over at conhome and their polls.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Against all this, one must congratulate the Remain crowd for their professional hit job of a campaign

@gabyhinsliff: Don't understand what Brexiters moaning about how PM's run this referendum actually expected. Don't they remember the AVref? Indyref? GE?

@gabyhinsliff: It's as if they'd all somehow missed that 1. DC can be utterly ruthless 2. he really likes winning 3. winning is the thing he's good at

@gabyhinsliff: But those are the three most important things to know about Cameron. You'd think his own party might have noticed, over the years.
    Tories are naive twats ?
    It's hard to disagree with that thesis. Like Gaby Hinsliff, I can't begin to work out what Conservative Leavers were expecting the Prime Minister to do during this campaign. I doubt he's played Ludo with his children without trying to win.
    Cameron does not win all the time.
    1. GE2010 - he won most seats against Brown, he did not win a majority, the manifesto was a mess and the campaign was disjointed and badly delivered with few core messages and a lack of testing the messages with research.
    2. Juncker - Cameron opposed and lost that appointment. Completely outvoted.
    3. The referendum - Cameron was dragged kicking and screaming by major back bench rebellions to agree it.

As to tactics to win the referendum, Harold Wilson won his without breaking his party apart or having a rebellion against his premiership. It is even arguable that Cameron's act of fronting the campaign has lost more votes than he gained.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,342

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

Yes, but does anyone sane want him?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    rcs1000 said:

Leave will win when it goes EFTA/EEA (which means none of the economic arguments have any force) and when one of the big two back it.

I'm going for Labour 2025.

It won't.

If Leave hasn't got a solution to immigration, it has nothing.

Leave need to play the one chance in a lifetime card. The poor will be stuck and screwed because they can't afford to move; the wealthy don't give a toss because they can always buy their way out of it.

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Against all this, one must congratulate the Remain crowd for their professional hit job of a campaign

@gabyhinsliff: Don't understand what Brexiters moaning about how PM's run this referendum actually expected. Don't they remember the AVref? Indyref? GE?

@gabyhinsliff: It's as if they'd all somehow missed that 1. DC can be utterly ruthless 2. he really likes winning 3. winning is the thing he's good at

@gabyhinsliff: But those are the three most important things to know about Cameron. You'd think his own party might have noticed, over the years.
    It does make you wonder.

The campaign isn't good, it's relentlessly negative and frankly in my view counter-productive to both the actual campaign (though obviously many on the remain side will disagree) and democracy. However what it isn't is unexpected. Accordingly, you'd have thought someone in Leave might have had a plan.

It could be a Hannibal type plan, in which case it's quite cleaver but I have yet to see the horns let alone them closing in.

In many ways this was all about timing and the PM has picked his optimum time.
    The Remain Campaign is following the 1992 election strategy to a 't'.
    This is a rerun of Labour's £2,000 Tax Bombshell.
    And - then as now - it is likely to be sadly successful.
    Fortunately, then as now, it is likely to be reversed five years later, as it sows the seeds of its own destruction.
    Having aired most of the EU issues and them being denied/waved off by "the great and the good", there are a lot of armed mines lined up ahead for the EU issue to set off in the next few years, or maybe months.

"oh dear Mr PM we have this ruling from europe to ....give votes to prisoners and you must pay some prisoners compensation for denying the right to vote.... etc etc" Multiply by a hundred other examples for many newspapers to go after.
    That kind of small-scale issue isn't going to topple governments or even ministers. It's just an Express headline. What would set the cat among the pigeons is:

* the EU somehow forces us to adopt the Euro
    * the EU somehow forces us to abandon trial by jury
    * the EU uses its army to invade us

all of which have been predicted on this forum, of course.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,243

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

Isn't that just the point?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Scott_P said:

ROFL yeah like that;s going to happen

Ah, a future prediction expert. Just what a betting site needs...
    Sorry Scott me old paster Ive been watching GOT.

Whats the news from the Tory civil war ? Incoherent Tories piss money up the wall ? George Osborne is Rolf harris love child ? Dave Cameon had sex with IDS ?

Do post more there's nothing we non tories love better than Tories at WAR !
  • Options

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

Delenda sunt.
    delendi sunt
  • Options

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

1. I said sane.

2. I've seen others further ahead at times as well.

It will not be Fox.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,158
    SeanT said:

You're a fucking horizontal collaborator, is what you are. You pulled down your knickers and bent over for the Gauleiter. And for what. A stick of butter. New pantyhose.

A brave Roman you are not.

Sean_F said:

I find it hard it hard to understand how someone can adore a politician as you do Cameron. I guess it must be like the way some people once viewed Blair.

TSE is a Heathite - his stated political inspirations are Michael Heseltine and Ken Clarke.

The natural consequence is for his to campaign for Remain and in future to support the single currency and other forms of ever closer union.

I'm surprised why anyone finds that surprising.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    edited May 2016

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

It's not adoration, Dave has many flaws, but I'm not content to sit back and see the Tory Eurosceptics do a rerun of 1993 to 2005, because that was a great time to be a Tory.
    The national interest is more important than the interest of any political party. If we vote Leave, I'll be content to see UKIP vanish, without it's raison d'être.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

Cyclefree said:

Another month of this...... :(

I may sign out for a bit and come back when something interesting has happened. Am trying to recover from bronchitis so early nights are a good thing and there are the programmes on the Chelsea Flower Show to catch up on.

Obviously if we vote Leave and Armageddon happens it may not be possible to communicate anymore. Oh well....

Don't go, my stint as Guest Editor begins next week, and I've got some awesome puns lined up.

Stuck in the middle with EU.

Don't EU want me

Latest poll is an Ode To Joy for Remain/Leave

That sort of stuff.
    Back in the EUSSR

EUgov
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,574

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

The implication that the selectorate of political parties are sane are refuted by the following six words:

Hilary Clinton
    Donald Trump
    Jeremy Corbyn.

So I don't think you should be so sanguine about Fox. He might just come through the middle as an outsider in a nasty 3 cornered contest.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If Remain wins, arguably the biggest losers would be the Tory press. Their lack of relevance, given their manic denunciations of Remain, would be excruciatingly exposed.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

"old men"
    Would that include OGH himself? :lol:

The correct term is 'experienced'.

snipped
    snipped.
    Surely it's the risk of Brexit that is responsible for Osborne missing his borrowing target every year?
    In fairness, his short term forecasts have been more accurate than any Chancellor I can recall. Possibly since Palpatine.
    snipped

No that would be less accurate. Maybe the right way less accurate but still. This year is the first time Osborne has missed his year on year target. Might suggest less low hanging fruit, fewer tweaks that haven't been used and things getting tighter and tighter of course.
    I see what you're saying.

But to be honest when the Treasury already has over 90% of that year's data you would expect the Budget to be accurate for the year which it is in. With self-assessment, the internet and ever more powerful computers things have been getting easier for the Treasury for years.

There was a quote in Yes (Prime) Minister where they said that before the invention of the photo copier the Treasury officials had less to read and therefore less to confuse them.
    The gag could be updated to include computers.
    Only too true. When I had to start working part-time I soon realised, there's a point at which you have to x hours simply in order to replay to all the e-mails, before you can think about doing any work.
    Email is regarded as a potential cause of the productivity stagnation of the last decade.
    Only potential? Electronic comms have enabled a level of director-level control freakery that has completely paralysed some workplaces. Back In the day middle managers had to be simply trusted to do the job, now they spend half their time on nugatory management of the next level up. Lunacy.
    You wouldn't be speaking from experience would you :wink:
  • Options
    @rafaelbehr: I see Vote Leave crying "last chance to save NHS!" Because nothing says #winning quite like a second-hand Andy Burnham campaign line.
  • Options

SeanT said:

You're a fucking horizontal collaborator, is what you are. You pulled down your knickers and bent over for the Gauleiter. And for what. A stick of butter. New pantyhose.

Sean_F said:

TSE is a Heathite - his stated political inspirations are Michael Heseltine and Ken Clarke.

The natural consequence is for his to campaign for Remain and in future to support the single currency and other forms of ever closer union.

Was never that keen on Heseltine.

And I'd never join the single currency.

I'm just following the lead of Margaret Thatcher, she quite passionately campaigned for the UK to remain in the EC.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anyone who thinks that Liam Fox is the answer has spent a lifetime asking the wrong questions.
  • Options

If Remain wins, arguably the biggest losers would be the Tory press. Their lack of relevance, given their manic denunciations of Remain, would be excruciatingly exposed.

Nah the biggest losers will br the Tory hierarchy. Buy pitchforks
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    rcs1000 said:

Leave will win when it goes EFTA/EEA (which means none of the economic arguments have any force) and when one of the big two back it.

If Labour get rid of Corbyn I am going to enjoy seeing the utter panic in Tory ranks.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Wanderer said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

It does make you wonder.

The campaign isn't good, it's relentlessly negative and frankly in my view counter-productive to both the actual campaign (though obviously many on the remain side will disagree) and democracy. However what it isn't is unexpected. Accordingly, you'd have thought someone in Leave might have had a plan.

It could be a Hannibal type plan, in which case it's quite cleaver but I have yet to see the horns let alone them closing in.

Fortunately, then as now, it is likely to be reversed five years later, as it sows the seeds of its own destruction.
    Having aired most of the EU issues and them being denied/waved off by "the great and the good", there are a lot of armed mines lined up ahead for the EU issue to set off in the next few years, or maybe months.

"oh dear Mr PM we have this ruling from europe to ....give votes to prisoners and you must pay some prisoners compensation for denying the right to vote.... etc etc" Multiply by a hundred other examples for many newspapers to go after.
    That kind of small-scale issue isn't going to topple governments or even ministers. It's just an Express headline. What would set the cat among the pigeons is:

If ever it comes to using armies, the EU will be able to use the UK army to do the job.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

It does make you wonder.

I disagree. It is the small stuff of principle when our Government is held up in ridicule by the people as completely incapable of governing in an area of law that the people regard as part of being Britain. For example the Queen was openly mocked for failing to read the mood of the nation over Diana and it created a crisis out of a car accident.
  • Options

Is that the experience in Scotland?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

"old men"

snipped
    snipped.
    Surely it's the risk of Brexit that is responsible for Osborne missing his borrowing target every year?
    In fairness, his short term forecasts have been more accurate than any Chancellor I can recall. Possibly since Palpatine.
    snipped

No that would be less accurate. Maybe the right way less accurate but still. This year is the first time Osborne has missed his year on year target. Might suggest less low hanging fruit, fewer tweaks that haven't been used and things getting tighter and tighter of course.

But to be honest when the Treasury already has over 90% of that year's data you would expect the Budget to be accurate for the year which it is in. With self-assessment, the internet and ever more powerful computers things have been getting easier for the Treasury for years.

There was a quote in Yes (Prime) Minister where they said that before the invention of the photo copier the Treasury officials had less to read and therefore less to confuse them.
    Only too true. When I had to start working part-time I soon realised, there's a point at which you have to x hours simply in order to replay to all the e-mails, before you can think about doing any work.
    Email is regarded as a potential cause of the productivity stagnation of the last decade.
    Politicalbetting.com is another cause.
    It certainly is for some people.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

The implication that the selectorate of political parties are sane are refuted by the following six words:

Hilary Clinton
    Donald Trump
    Jeremy Corbyn.

So I don't think you should be so sanguine about Fox. He might just come through the middle as an outsider in a nasty 3 cornered contest.
    I take your point.

The alternative seems to be Juncker though... and he's a fruitcake.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The way your beloved leader has gone about this referendum, especially with his fake and specious renegotiation, has ensured that the Tory party will precisely repeat the wars of the Major era.

Not exactly.

the bastards brought down Major because they wanted a referendum

If they bring down Cameron for giving them a referendum they then lost, they are not exactly in a position of strength
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,287
    chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

It won't.

Leave need to play the one chance in a lifetime card. The poor will be stuck and screwed because they can't afford to move; the wealthy don't give a toss because they can always buy their way out of it.

You can control immigration with EFTA/EEA, you just can't do it with quotas. Instead you use an annual NHS health insurance to make the UK unattractive as a destination for unskilled workers. And, as any first year economics student will tell you, tariffs are always preferable to quotas, as they distort price signals less.

EFTA/EEA eliminates the economic disadvantage arguments for leaving. It eliminates the supremacy of the ECJ and any possibility of Euro membership. It dramatically reduces the annual bill to the UK.

And it does this without disadvantaging British businesses.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

Well given the leader of the Tory Party is effectively leading the Remain campaign it is perhaps not that surprising!
    One traitor supporting another. No not really surprising I suppose.
  • Options

If Labour get rid of Corbyn

Luckily they can't
  • Options

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

I'm just following the lead of Margaret Thatcher, she quite passionately campaigned for the UK to remain in the EC.
    I doubt you'd oppose the single currency if Cameron and Osborne came out in favour.
  • Options
    So who can ID this one?

EU took the lead from the start
    EU took the lead from the start
    And I don't know why
    No I don't know why
    It was clear in coming here
    I must have put the skin before the heart
    Before the heart
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    Utter hatred in the Tory ranks this evening. We need a realignment of politics in this country. The Corbynites and sensible Labour should split along with the Tory Inners and Tory Outers.
    But we need PR as a matter of urgency so that we all no longer have to pretend we agree with each other.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If Labour get rid of Corbyn

Luckily they can't
    They will eventually and then the Tories are fecked.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

I doubt you'd oppose the single currency if Cameron and Osborne came out in favour.
    Wrong. It will never be in the UK's interest to join the single currency.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

The way your beloved leader has gone about this referendum, especially with his fake and specious renegotiation, has ensured that the Tory party will precisely repeat the wars of the Major era.

Not exactly.

If they bring down Cameron for giving them a referendum they then lost, they are not exactly in a position of strength
    ROFL you really have lost the plot.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Is there any truth to this?

No
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

It won't.

You can control immigration with EFTA/EEA, you just can't do it with quotas. Instead you use an annual NHS health insurance to make the UK unattractive as a destination for unskilled workers. And, as any first year economics student will tell you, tariffs are always preferable to quotas, as they distort price signals less.

EFTA/EEA eliminates the economic disadvantage arguments for leaving. It eliminates the supremacy of the ECJ and any possibility of Euro membership. It dramatically reduces the annual bill to the UK.

And it does this without disadvantaging British businesses.
    Rejecting the EEA route is easily the biggest mistake Vote Leave made by a hundred miles.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,316

rcs1000 said:

If Labour get rid of Corbyn I am going to enjoy seeing the utter panic in Tory ranks.
    It might even focus a few minds on the Leave side that their fight for independence has moved into the history books has no more currency.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

"old men"

snipped
    snipped.
    snipped

Only potential? Electronic comms have enabled a level of director-level control freakery that has completely paralysed some workplaces. Back In the day middle managers had to be simply trusted to do the job, now they spend half their time on nugatory management of the next level up. Lunacy.
    You wouldn't be speaking from experience would you :wink:
    Bang to rights
  • Options

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

You are not concerned with what is n Britain's interests. You have made that perfectly clear on here over the last few weeks.
  • Options

They will eventually

Not before he has remade the party in his image

and then the Tories are fecked.

Not really

• Options

Nah the biggest losers will br the Tory hierarchy. Buy pitchforks
    That's what's so delicious. They will expend immense political capital to win a short term victory that damns them in the long term.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    If Labour can elect Corbyn then it seems entirely possible that Con could elect someone like Fox.

And all the evidence from Con Home and indeed this website is that there are plenty of Con activists who are a carbon copy of the Lab activists who elected Corbyn.

The reason some people support Cameron is not because they "love" him or any such thing - it's because they recognise he is the best chance of this country continuing to be run in a mainstream, pragmatic, sensible way - and he minimises the chances of someone who would do really serious damage getting in to power.

And his electoral record up to now is outstanding. Who in 2005 after Con had won less than 200 seats for the third GE in a row would have dreamt there would have been a Con Government from 2010 to 2020?

Of course, people get bored and frustrated and always want something better so they'll get sick of him in the end - but his template is the best bet - and unless you want Corbyn then the best option will be "Continuity Cameron" - which will mean Theresa May.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Not exactly.

The 'bastards' didn't bring down Major. He did that all on his own.
  • Options
    Birmingham City Council is first news story on BBC News at 10 over having its children services taken away from councillors.

Not mentioned at all in the 8 minutes is the fact that the Labour Party has 80 of the 120 councillors and has run the council for the past 4 years.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

If Labour can elect Corbyn then it seems entirely possible that Con could elect someone like Fox.

Corbyn won by inspiring a wave of enthusiasm among the broader left in the country. You could never imagine Fox leading a popular movement of any kind at all.

What we 'need' are more ideas driven parties, but FPTP mitigates against allowing them to develop. Instead of UKIP we ought to have a party like the AfD but they would get smothered in our current regime of bland big-tent consensus politics.
  • Options
    Good of the PM to delay Chilcott to enable Blair to speak out freely about the referendum and recommending REMAIN.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    Tony fucking Blair!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    rcs1000 said:

And, as any first year economics student will tell you, tariffs are always preferable to quotas, as they distort price signals less.

They will take their chance, Robert.

And when it goes wrong, there will be an incessant supply of Guardian readers/columnists telling the UK how heartless and terrible we are if we deny them free care.

We are the 5th largest economy in the world; we can afford to give it away.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Until someone tells you it is and then youll just flap all over the place and calim its what you always meant

you have the credibility of a "reformed" french alcoholic in a recently emptied wine cellar
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Campaigning went well in Sheffield today, in one of the areas that I'd expect to contain a lot of stronger Remainers that might not be arsed to vote come June 23rd.

Was pleasantly surprised by the reception/anticipated turnout. Odd campaign cut throughs.

1) All those Leavers who want to spend £350 million per week on the NHS want to privatise the NHS don't they

2) I thought I canvassed Alanbrooke, 'that Osborne's a twat' but he's right on what Brexit means for the economy, Ed Balls said so.

I'm expecting turnout to be a higher than expected.

I'll be doing a more Leave friendly area later on this week will report back then.

My campaign reports at the GE last year were prescient and forecast the Tories doing well in West Yorkshire.

This chimes in with my campaigning experience with Labour In campaign in London (how many people here are actually campaigning in this referendum rather than just talking about it??)

Remain well ahead in my area - Leaves found in significant numbers only on social housing estates - very few in private property.

High level of interest, I would expect general election level turnout. Leaves are older, poorer, angrier - blame all their troubles on immigrants.
    Those people should blame the lying bastard politicians and the lackeys who bullshit for them.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Not exactly.

Major as Chancellor took us into the ERM and the rest was a complete f**k up by him then and as PM.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

I disagree. It is the small stuff of principle when our Government is held up in ridicule by the people as completely incapable of governing in an area of law that the people regard as part of being Britain. For example the Queen was openly mocked for failing to read the mood of the nation over Diana and it created a crisis out of a car accident.
    The Queen isn't a politician, has no power and doesn't run anything. One can be for or against her without it affecting one's vote.

What I'm saying is just the obvious (I think): elections are decided by big issues that affect people's daily lives, not stuff like votes for prisoners.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:
    So who says that IDS (25%) is less trusted than Cameron (18%)?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Not exactly.

Major as Chancellor took us into the ERM and the rest was a complete f**k up by him then and as PM.
    And yet no government has ever inherited as good a situation as in 1997... The Major government did a lot right.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It might even focus a few minds on the Leave side that their fight for independence has moved into the history books has no more currency.
    You can keep telling yourself that as the EU takes more and more control of our lives.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    BBC News running an article with Pienaar of voters basically calling all politicians liars.

Cameron: Exit Leftie being discusssed
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Probably still an underlying lead of about 2% for Remain with Yougov.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Not exactly.

Yep. I also love the fact that after he signed the Maastricht Treaty he was dumb enough to moan when the ECJ ignored his opt outs. Fecking useless.
  • Options

Campaigning went well in Sheffield today, in one of the areas that I'd expect to contain a lot of stronger Remainers that might not be arsed to vote come June 23rd.

Was pleasantly surprised by the reception/anticipated turnout. Odd campaign cut throughs.

1) All those Leavers who want to spend £350 million per week on the NHS want to privatise the NHS don't they

2) I thought I canvassed Alanbrooke, 'that Osborne's a twat' but he's right on what Brexit means for the economy, Ed Balls said so.

I'm expecting turnout to be a higher than expected.

I'll be doing a more Leave friendly area later on this week will report back then.

My campaign reports at the GE last year were prescient and forecast the Tories doing well in West Yorkshire.

This chimes in with my campaigning experience with Labour In campaign in London (how many people here are actually campaigning in this referendum rather than just talking about it??)

Remain well ahead in my area - Leaves found in significant numbers only on social housing estates - very few in private property.

High level of interest, I would expect general election level turnout. Leaves are older, poorer, angrier - blame all their troubles on immigrants.
    Those people should blame the lying bastard politicians and the lackeys who bullshit for them.
    That;s where Scott Paster comes in

His latest post of Oxbridge Tory sheep shagging Etonians drown in a tsunami of their own semen was a classic

at least I think that's what he meant
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    hahahahahahah

Look at Cameron's trust ratings. He is fucked. Good.
    Dishonest Dave :lol:
  • Options
    Q: What LEAVE should do?
    A: Add Andrea Leadsom to the top 3 of its campaigners.

PS Boris is almost twice as trusted as Cameron.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

The EC.

I think you've just exposed the trend and yourself.

You'll be campaigning for the single currency and ever closer union when the time comes - after a certain amount of 'undecideness' and then being 'persuaded' by some establishment line.

Like this time.

When you were 'persuaded' to vote Remain by George Osborne's economic arguments and 'persuaded' to campaign by the threat of Liam Fox.

Really ? Liam Fox ??? Is that the best justification you can come up with ?

You were always going to vote Remain and you were always going to campaign for Remain.

You know it, I know it, we all know it.

I don't criticize you for supporting Remain or campaigning for it but this whole pantomime that you've been 'persuaded' is pretty tawdry.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The thin that is getting me about the polling is that there's no discernable long term trend.

In the IndyRef there was a long term trend towards Yes that hit a discernable speed bump when Salmond bollocksed up the first debate and then accelerated when he won the second.

With EURef it's all rather noise and no signal. I don't think much is changing but I don't know what the status quo is, apart from what my gut tells me.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

He had no intention of winning meaningful reform, and you know it. He didn't even try. He just thought Fuck it, I can win a referendum anyway, so I'll come back with any old crap and the stupid voters will buy it.

The worst of it is, he is probably right. In the short term. In the long term he is wrecking the Tory party.

How you can support this grotesque charade, even canvass for it, utterly bewilders me. You're like the butler in Remains of the Day who loyally supports his Hitler-appeasing Master, despite all evidence that the man is not worth a moral cent.
    Do you understand anything whatsoever about the renegotiation? At all?

Give me your take on it.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    hahahahahahah

If Corbyn came out for Leave, it would be all over.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I can't help imagining Theresa May coming out of all this mess as the winner.

She's the next PM, isn't she?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEagles said: " I'm just following the lead of Margaret Thatcher, she quite passionately campaigned for the UK to remain in the EC."

TSE You are fighting the last referendum. A typical mistake they say of failed Generals....
  • Options

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

The EC.

You'll be campaigning for the single currency and ever closer union when the time comes - after a certain amount of 'undecideness' and then being 'persuaded' by some establishment line.

Like this time.

When you were 'persuaded' to vote Remain by George Osborne's economic arguments and 'persuaded' to campaign by the threat of Liam Fox.

You were always going to vote Remain and you were always going to campaign for Remain.

I don't criticize you for supporting Remain or campaigning for it but this whole pantomime that you've been 'persuaded' is pretty tawdry.
    That's the biggest load of bollocks you've ever posted on PB, and remember you're the idiot a while back accused me of condoning child abuse for political advantage.

You eventually apologised for being wrong on that, and you'll eventually apologise on this.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I can't help imaging Theresa May coming out of all this mess as the winner.

Not with these ratings.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The thin that is getting me about the polling is that there's no discernable long term trend.

In the IndyRef there was a long term trend towards Yes that hit a discernable speed bump when Salmond bollocksed up the first debate and then accelerated when he won the second.

With EURef it's all rather noise and no signal. I don't think much is changing but I don't know what the status quo is, apart from what my gut tells me.

Well put. That's exactly the problem.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    A lawyer from Sheffield has gone over to join ISIS?

Oh, sorry, a doctor from Sheffield :)
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

The Queen isn't a politician, has no power and doesn't run anything. One can be for or against her without it affecting one's vote.

What I'm saying is just the obvious (I think): elections are decided by big issues that affect people's daily lives, not stuff like votes for prisoners.
    Yes - I'm very surprised by the contrast between the passionate espousal of sides on this board, and the apparent lack of concern around me. I don't remember having heard anyone mention the referendum.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

This may be back to the 2 nations thin....?

He had no intention of winning meaningful reform, and you know it. He didn't even try. He just thought Fuck it, I can win a referendum anyway, so I'll come back with any old crap and the stupid voters will buy it.

The worst of it is, he is probably right. In the short term. In the long term he is wrecking the Tory party.

How you can support this grotesque charade, even canvass for it, utterly bewilders me. You're like the butler in Remains of the Day who loyally supports his Hitler-appeasing Master, despite all evidence that the man is not worth a moral cent.
    Give me your take on it.
    He went in asking for a few minor things and walked out with a vat exemption on tampax, a £50m saving on welfare and gave up our veto on Eurozone integration.....
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    So who says that IDS (25%) is less trusted than Cameron (18%)?
    LOL what this really says is that all these people are bald men fighting over a comb
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Not exactly.

And yet no government has ever inherited as good a situation as in 1997... The Major government did a lot right.
    Forced to do a lot right against its own will.
  • Options

A lawyer from Sheffield has gone over to join ISIS?
    Oh, sorry, a doctor from Sheffield :)

Must be something in the Sheffield water?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

chestnut said:

Not with these ratings.
    Realistically though, it isn't going to be Corbyn or IDS.

Boris? I wouldn't vote for him. He's a TV panellist, not a PM.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2016

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    hahahahahahah

And he'd be the next PM. He must seize his moment.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    hahahahahahah

True. Corbyn is having a good campaign by just STFU.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    hahahahahahah

True. Corbyn is having a good campaign by just STFU.
    False. He would be derided as a massive flip flopper having come out for Remain.

However if he had come out for Leave, he might have won the referendum but lost control of his party. Now where have I heard that before..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Its a pity that trust in Osborne wasn't polled.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Not with these ratings.
    Realistically though, it isn't going to be Corbyn or IDS.

Boris? I wouldn't vote for him. He's a TV panellist, not a PM.
    Andrea... It must be love....
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    It's all getting a bit moody in here. It must be very frustrating for PB Tory-Leavers to be on the receiving end of Cameron's bully boy tactics for once, but lashing out at TSE does nothing. In fact you only elevate him as a site celebrity.
  • Options
    Night all. Play nicely. Whatever the result is, we'll survive.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

I can - kind of - comprehend a

This may be back to the 2 nations thin....?

Give me your take on it.
    He went in asking for a few minor things and walked out with a vat exemption on tampax, a £50m saving on welfare and gave up our veto on Eurozone integration.....
    And that level of understanding is exactly the problem and is why the Leave campaign is in such disarray and some braveheart posters on here are making such dicks of themselves.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Perhaps it was was so bad it dropped off the bottom of the page.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

The EC.

Like this time.

That's the biggest load of bollocks you've ever posted on PB, and remember you're the idiot a while back accused me of condoning child abuse for political advantage.

You eventually apologised for being wrong on that, and you'll eventually apologise on this.
    No one will apologise to you TPD. Your trust ratings are about as healthy as Cameron's.

Ironic really isn't it.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    hahahahahahah

Dishonest Dave :lol:
    Next you will be copying the Beast from Bolsover with Dodgy Dave. Could Skinner be right for once? NSFT
    Not Safe For TSE
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    I only hope to God this thread is far from representative of the country at large.

I don't really care whether we vote in or out. That issue is singularly unimportant to me.

What I *do* care about is having a Tory government, on the basis that it's the closest thing to Libertarianism we are ever likely to get.

The idea that the party will continue its self destructive fracturing is a *far* bigger threat than any result of 'in' or 'out'. But who, who is speaking up, Niemolleresque, for me and my ilk?!?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Scott_P said:

Quantum polling is not available yet.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

And that level of understanding is exactly the problem and is why the Leave campaign is in such disarray and some braveheart posters on here are making such dicks of themselves.

Its a lot better than your level of understanding.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

It's all getting a bit moody in here. It must be very frustrating for PB Tory-Leavers to be on the receiving end of Cameron's bully boy tactics for once, but lashing out at TSE does nothing. In fact you only elevate him as a site celebrity.

Vidkun-Quisling-Philippe-Petain-Benedict-Arnold-Kim-Philby
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

CANVASSING?

This

I w

Themoral cent.

Give me your take on it.
    Yes. My take is that it was a lie from beginning to end, a complete fraud and pantomime, as Douglas Carswell correctly predicted in his resignation speech.

"No one cheered David Cameron more loudly at the time of his Bloomberg speech, when he finally accepted the case for a referendum. He would, he claimed, negotiate a fundamentally new relationship with the EU, and put it to the people in 2017; In or Out.

But there’s been no detail since. That’s because there isn’t any...

Cameron's advisers have made it clear that they seek a new deal that gives them just enough to persuade enough voters to vote to stay in. It’s not about change in our national interest. It’s all about not changing things.

Once I realised that, my position in the Conservative party became untenable"

I hoped, at the time, that he was wrong. But he was right.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/08/29/douglas-carswells-speech-in-full/
    Your take, sugartits, not Douglas Carswell's. Which is wrong.
  • Options
    Our net contribution to the EU for 2015 was £8.5 billion.
This discussion has been closed.