Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The next recession

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited May 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The next recession

Trying to predict the next recession has the danger making you sound like The Ancient Mariner but William Hill have a market up if the UK is going to have recession by the end of 2017 if you want to bet on the timing of it. I’m not an economist, so this piece should be viewed in that spirit.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited May 2016
    First. The government worked far better as a Coalition one. At least, they had to thrash policies around before implementing them. This Tory one just steamrollers through whatever policy Cameron and Osborne have dreamed up overnight.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    PClipp said:

First. The government worked far better as a Coalition one. At least, they had to thrash policies around before implementing them. This Tory one just steamrollers through whatever policy Cameron and Osborne have dreamed up overnight.

Yes but. No but.

Yes the government worked better as a coalition and are clearly feeling the loss of the quad - you might have had the wit to realize the need to replace it with "critical friends" within government- there's nothing wrong with a good row behind closed doors.

No but they're not steamrollering things through- the awkward squad on the back benches are (for once) providing a useful correction.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    edited May 2016
    Morning. A good spot from TSE, that's probably not a bad value bet at 9/4, I would have offered around 6/4.

Worth remembering though that a recession has a very technical definition, and it may feel like we are in a recession without being in one, and vice versa.

Also worth checking the terms of the bet, in 2012 we had a brief two quarter recession on the initial figures, but they were revised up later by the ONS to be only flat growth rather than negative - much to the annoyance of a certain Mr Balls.

Also consider that in the event of a Brexit vote the price will probably come in, even though we won't be leaving the EU before the end of 2017.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    FPT, about 10-15% of Conservative voters from 2015 have switched to UKIP, according to polling. Those voters overwhelmingly support Brexit. Com Res, ICM, Yougov, all have Con voters from 2015 supporting Brexit.
  • Options
    Oh, and commiserations to anyone with Day 4 tickets to the Test. The PB cricket mantra of laying the draw still holds, even when there's some rain around. They really should look seriously at play from Friday-Tuesday now, too many matches are finishing in three or four days.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Manufacturing has gone through 5 consecutive negative quarters, In fact, British Manufacturing is still below 2008.

Believe me, I know.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Sandpit said:

Oh, and commiserations to anyone with Day 4 tickets to the Test. The PB cricket mantra of laying the draw still holds, even when there's some rain around. They really should look seriously at play from Friday-Tuesday now, too many matches are finishing in three or four days.

Partly it's the fault of the idiots in the press/commentary box who witter endlessly about "what the fans want" without having the faintest idea what the fans actually want. The endless moaning about the "Chief Executive's pitches" when for the vast majority of test match ticket holders a "Chief Executive's pitch" was what they wanted. This wasn't necessarily the case here (Headingley is headingley, and Sri Lanka were woefully ill-equipped to cope with England's bowling attack bowling well), but there has been a shift over the last couple of years which makes it very difficult for the fan wanting to go to the ground.
  • Options
    My latest update on the EU Ref:

REMAIN 58% - Leave 42%. No change.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ultimately, it is the insurance policy that will pay up. I do agree Friday would be a good day to start a test match. Only Australia, India and possibly Pakistan will provide a 4th day sell out.
  • Options
    FPT:
    HYUFD said:

Uh oh. Remain are going to lose.

The In team have been highly anxious about the attitude of the Labour leadership to the referendum. They now say that they are very encouraged that the party has started to get its act together since the local elections. Labour figures with experience of organising campaigns, such as the deputy leader Tom Watson, have become fully engaged. One non-Labour strategist working for the In campaign recently spoke to me about the Labour effort in a tone of pleasant surprise: “They know how to organise a ground campaign.”

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/22/eu-referendum-error-of-claiming-early-remain-victory

Luckily for them it is Tory voters who will decide Remain's fate, not Labour voters
    Er..no. There will still be more Labour voters in the REMAIN camp than Tories unless REMAIN wins 60% of the votes.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Ultimately, it is the insurance policy that will pay up. I do agree Friday would be a good day to start a test match. Only Australia, India and possibly Pakistan will provide a 4th day sell out.
    They have insurance against the opponent's batsmen only turning up physically? Rain insurance I could understand, but crap batsmen and good bowling insurance must be more difficult to get!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    HELP please ! Windows 10 has managed to infect itself onto my pc without my asking it to do so. Now I get script errors all over the place, unchecked the usual stuff on Internet options but it makes no difference. Do I just have to accept that IE is crap and switch to chrome, or is there a fix>?

TA
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

They have insurance against the opponent's batsmen only turning up physically? Rain insurance I could understand, but crap batsmen and good bowling insurance must be more difficult to get!

Maybe the MCC hedge by backing the draw with all the money we lay it against. :)
    Ok. I take your point. But the 4th days ticket will still be refunded.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    We can safely assume the Remain campaign are going to launch an assault over the next four weeks. It must be becoming clear that Boris for all his apparent popularity is not doing Leave any favours at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if he's removed from his high profile position and if so how he responds
  • Options
    edited May 2016

HELP please ! Windows 10 has managed to infect itself onto my pc without my asking it to do so. Now I get script errors all over the place, unchecked the usual stuff on Internet options but it makes no difference. Do I just have to accept that IE is crap and switch to chrome, or is there a fix>?

TA

Go to Settings > Update and Security > Recovery

There should be an option there to revert to the previous operating system.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81

PM me if you get stuck, I do this for a living (and it's rather busy now, thanks Microsoft!)
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited May 2016
    surbiton said:

I agree, +/-2% either way.

If this is the result (and it is what I expect), after 950 years of independent history, the takeover by the Continent will be final. There will be ever closer union, a common currency enforced on all EU members and a pan-European army which may eventually force a showdown with Russia - the skirmishes in the Donbass are a mere foretaste.

For the average ethnic Briton, what was the point in refusing the peace offer from the leader of the 3rd Reich in 1940 from an economic perspective? What Churchill's belligerence did do was preserve Britain's independence from domination by a European autocrat, and that is the real question facing the country on 23/6/16.

Even if wasn't clear in 1975, the EU is not a mere economic community/free trade area. but an attempt to create a single European state, with its components as mere subservient regions/provinces.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

TA

It would be easier to download W10, both in the short and long run. Unless,of course, you run a Mac, then you really are f*cked.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited May 2016
    I’m worried about the post referendum fall out. One unfortunate side-effect from this orgy of ludicrous EU hyperbole is the possibility of a Jezza Government. There, I’ve said it.

Voting to revert to some degree independence will cause world war Three? You’re never heard of NATO? Really? Sweden will invade Denmark? Oh? You didn’t actually say? I suspect you did. An economic apocalypse is guaranteed even if we survive a thermonuclear holocaust? You definitely said that Remain are the biggest culprits but only because they are being more professional about their stupidity.

When it comes to the next GE, what can they say about a Jezza government? Economic ruin? Whatever? Taken over by left wing fanatics? You would say that, wouldn’t you? In fact, you’ve already said worse about us merely leaving a bureaucratic, jumped up, trading bloc.

They’re managing to bring politics into disrepute, a feat I thought impossible.

24 hours to save the pound? 24 hours to save the NHS? That was daft enough, but now you’ve excelled. Now you’ve jumped the shark good and proper Why would anyone believe a word from you anymore?

Jezza will ruin us all? Pull the other one, Mr Osborne? Bureaucratic state control? Is that all? No Zombie apocalypse? That’s alright then.

Jezza may be a loon, but who’s really the unhinged one here?

Thanks for your legacy Dave ... PM Jeremy.
  • Options
    Talking about egocentrics....the thought of Mourinho talking about 'the brilliant one' for a whole season will have people yearning for the days of the 'useless one' or even the 'bonkers one'
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Did I miss the thread on the YouGov report?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

TA

Not too sure about you Windows 10 problems.

However Chez W is changing over to Chrome completely. Her indoors has used the brilliant ASUS Flip for several months and I'm looking to change to Chrome Pixel shortly.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TA

It would be easier to download W10, both in the short and long run. Unless,of course, you run a Mac, then you really are f*cked.
    I initially recommended to update from W8 but not from W7, now I'm thinking that even W8 is better than 10. It is that dire. Macs have never sold better as people are getting totally fed up with MS pulling tricks like they just did with Mr @SquareRoot.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Great experience having a drink in the bar of my hotel last night. Most the England team were there and the group dynamics were fascinating. Anderson is the man and Broad his close number 2. The whole group revolves around them. Finn was sitting beside Anderson and looking very comfortable. It is why he is playing on pitches that don't really suit him.

Joe Root was at the edge but joining in. He made a point of talking to Vince but Vince had not yet got the wag game with his girl staying with him. All the other wags had their own table. This was very definitely a male bonding session.
  • Options

PClipp said:

Yes but. No but.

Yes the government worked better as a coalition and are clearly feeling the loss of the quad - you might have had the wit to realize the need to replace it with "critical friends" within government- there's nothing wrong with a good row behind closed doors.

No but they're not steamrollering things through- the awkward squad on the back benches are (for once) providing a useful correction.
    As Portillo said on This Week. "This government is doing it's best to save Cameron's neck over the referendum. Otherwise it's done nothing, zilch; it's marking time and the Queens speech is a disgrace and a fiasco". Or words to that effect.

It's not often I agree with Portillo but he's bang to right, in this instance.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited May 2016
    @DPJHodges: As Boris falters, George Osborne plots his greatest ever escape > Mail On Sunday > https://t.co/6CEJFXhAOT

At this week’s press conference, Ed Balls came out with a remarkable statement. ‘Say what you like about George Osborne, at least he’s putting the country’s interests before his own on this issue, in contrast to some of his rivals.’ Given the personal history between the two men – Balls once came within a hair’s breadth of marching around the Dispatch Box and punching Osborne during a furious clash over the Libor rate-rigging scandal – it was a staggeringly generous intervention.

But it also perfectly encapsulates Team Osborne’s strategy. To paint George Osborne as the man who sees tough choices, confronts them head on and puts the country first, while painting Boris Johnson as the man who sees tough choices, tells a humorous anecdote about them in Latin, then puts Boris Johnson first
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I’m worried about the post referendum fall out. One unfortunate side-effect from this orgy of ludicrous EU hyperbole is the possibility of a Jezza Government. There, I’ve said it.

Voting to revert to some degree independence will cause world war Three? You’re never heard of NATO? Really? Sweden will invade Denmark? Oh? You didn’t actually say? I suspect you did. An economic apocalypse is guaranteed even if we survive a thermonuclear holocaust? You definitely said that Remain are the biggest culprits but only because they are being more professional about their stupidity.

When it comes to the next GE, what can they say about a Jezza government? Economic ruin? Whatever? Taken over by left wing fanatics? You would say that, wouldn’t you? In fact, you’ve already said worse about us merely leaving a bureaucratic, jumped up, trading bloc.

24 hours to save the pound? 24 hours to save the NHS? That was daft enough, but now you’ve excelled. Now you’ve jumped the shark good and proper Why would anyone believe a word from you anymore?

Jezza will ruin us all? Pull the other one, Mr Osborne? Bureaucratic state control? Is that all? No Zombie apocalypse? That’s alright then.

"Jezza may be a loon, but who’s really the unhinged one here?"

You .... :smile:

Jezza couldn't become PM if he was facing Stewart Jackson as Conservative leader and the nation was facing a depression of biblical proportions.

It's more likely that TSE will get into the Ascot Royal Enclosure than Jezza will be kissing hands with Her Maj down at Buck House.

Now dear chap, go and have a nice lie down in a darkened room and in a few hours time let's hope you'll recovered your wits and a sense of proportion.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    CD13 said:

THe decision to hold this referendum was one of utter madness. The party was always going to be split, LEAVE was only going to be plausible if the EU was incontrovertibly heading into a terminal crisis with the eurozone collapsing. That day may come but it isn't now. So much sound and fury for nothing, imo.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    JackW said:

TA

Not too sure about you Windows 10 problems.

However Chez W is changing over to Chrome completely. Her indoors has used the brilliant ASUS Flip for several months and I'm looking to change to Chrome Pixel shortly.
    I've been using Chrome on my Mac for years JackW, and have just changed over temporarily to Firefox while cleaning Chrome of too many add-ons and such, making it go slower.

If anyone gets the desire to download a small program called Grammerly, or a dirivitive; don't! It will slow your machine to an almost standstill.
  • Options
    Do we actually need a Government?

Look at the legislative programme. Hardly worthy of a village council at best. Cameron is going, and happy to concentrate only on his pet project - the EU.

Give it ten years and we won't need a parliament anyway. It will be based in Brussels.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    MikeK said:

PClipp said:

Yes but. No but.

As Portillo said on This Week. "This government is doing it's best to save Cameron's neck over the referendum. Otherwise it's done nothing, zilch; it's marking time and the Queens speech is a disgrace and a fiasco". Or words to that effect.

It's not often I agree with Portillo but he's bang to right, in this instance.
    Portillo was bang on the money. I've no idea what HMG is doing.
  • Options
    JackW said:

CD13 said:

"Jezza may be a loon, but who’s really the unhinged one here?"

You .... :smile:

Jezza couldn't become PM if he was facing Stewart Jackson as Conservative leader and the nation was facing a depression of biblical proportions.

It's more likely that TSE will get into the Ascot Royal Enclosure than Jezza will be kissing hands with Her Maj down at Buck House.

Now dear chap, go and have a nice lie down in a darkened room and in a few hours time let's hope you'll recovered your wits and a sense of proportion.
    Corbyn might win against George Osborne.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: As Boris falters, George Osborne plots his greatest ever escape > Mail On Sunday > https://t.co/6CEJFXhAOT

At this week’s press conference, Ed Balls came out with a remarkable statement. ‘Say what you like about George Osborne, at least he’s putting the country’s interests before his own on this issue, in contrast to some of his rivals.’ Given the personal history between the two men – Balls once came within a hair’s breadth of marching around the Dispatch Box and punching Osborne during a furious clash over the Libor rate-rigging scandal – it was a staggeringly generous intervention.

But it also perfectly encapsulates Team Osborne’s strategy. To paint George Osborne as the man who sees tough choices, confronts them head on and puts the country first, while painting Boris Johnson as the man who sees tough choices, tells a humorous anecdote about them in Latin, then puts Boris Johnson first

The attacks on Boris are becoming more sustained-Chris Patten had a go yesterday-and over the next month they're likely to build to a crescendo. He's a pretty easy target and points up the problems with putting so many of your eggs in one basket
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Good morning, everyone.

The next recession, if we leave, will be blamed by some on our leaving (indeed, the BBC's business/economics editor Kamal Ahmed was leading enough to ask Carney if the latter could rule out a recession if we left [nobody ever claimed leaving the EU would mean the end of the business cycle]).

If we stay, then some will be grumpy (where's this prosperity we're meant to have) but it won't have much impact beyond further damaging the Conservatives.

They're fortunate they're facing Corbyn. A competent leader with a united Labour Party would be tearing chunks out of the blues.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

CD13 said:

THe decision to hold this referendum was one of utter madness. The party was always going to be split, LEAVE was only going to be plausible if the EU was incontrovertibly heading into a terminal crisis with the eurozone collapsing. That day may come but it isn't now. So much sound and fury for nothing, imo.
    I don't think Cameron had much of a choice, but I can't see this vote turning out well for the Conservative Party, whatever the outcome.
  • Options
    "Labour’s major challenge, the report argues, is to find a way to rebuild a coalition of support. It needs to “stop patronising socially conservative Ukip voters and recognise the ways in which Ukip appeals to former Labour voters”, the report says, adding: “Labour is becoming a toxic brand. It is perceived by voters as a party that supports an ‘open door’ approach to immigration, lacks credibility on the economy, and is a ‘soft touch’ on welfare spending.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/21/poor-outlook-toxic-labour-jon-cruddas-report-welfare-immigration
  • Options
    Roger said:

Talking about egocentrics....the thought of Mourinho talking about 'the brilliant one' for a whole season will have people yearning for the days of the 'useless one' or even the 'bonkers one'

True .... however we had Ed is the 'crap one' for five "seasons" and now the sequel - Jezza the 'mega-crap one' until 2020 .... :smiley:
  • Options
    Mr. F, accepting the lack of choice, Cameron's still mishandled it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MikeK said:

TA

I initially recommended to update from W8 but not from W7, now I'm thinking that even W8 is better than 10. It is that dire. Macs have never sold better as people are getting totally fed up with MS pulling tricks like they just did with Mr @SquareRoot.
    Not only have I script errors but now crackle on my speakers.. (no solutions offered by a quick google work) I am seriously pissed of with Microsoft, they tell you nothing will change, then they feck your pc up and you have to pay someone loads to sort it out.. its disgraceful.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I've been using Chrome on my Mac for years JackW, and have just changed over temporarily to Firefox while cleaning Chrome of too many add-ons and such, making it go slower.

If anyone gets the desire to download a small program called Grammerly, or a dirivitive; don't! It will slow your machine to an almost standstill.

Thanks.

I wasn't sure about chrome but the little Flip has been a revelation for a product costing about £220. Mrs JackW is hugely impressed by it. She hasn't had any problems with it and the independent reviews have been very positive.

I note rcs1000 gave the pixel the thumbs up and OGH uses Chrome too.

• Options

It seems likely we'll have a recession at some point between now and 2020. If Leave win, this will be blamed on Leave. Indeed, any difficulty that arises will be blamed on Leave.

If Remain win, then Leave supporters will say " told you so", every time the EU does something we don't like. UKIP will keep chipping away at Conservative support. Some Conservatives who reluctantly voted Remain will feel like Labour supporters who reluctantly backed Tony Blair over Iraq.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Corbyn might win against George Osborne.

Have you just returned from a rave in Luton last night Sean ?!? .... :astonished:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Mr. Root, sorry to hear of your problems. I switched off automatic updates (check at the end of every session for them), because I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to just label a Windows 10 install as an Important Update.

Not quite sure what I'll do when 7 reaches the end of its lifespan.

Edited extra bit: Mr. F, quite agree. Although Farage is not helpful to UKIP in terms of broadening support, the general picture could still be very good for the purples.

Conservatives in a civil war, Labour led by a Marxist terrorist-sympathiser, Lib Dems reduced to almost nothing, and the EU on the agenda for years.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Two dead, 11 wounded in Austria shooting on election day...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/austria-shooting-nenzing-gunman-kills-two-at-concert-before-turning-gun-on-himself-police-say-a7041896.html
    Sounds "biker"-related, non-terrorist.

May shift a view votes rightwards I suppose, although the FPO candidate already seemed odds-on to win...
  • Options
    Mr W,

A sense of proportion? It's Cameron who is running his "Apres moi, le deluge" strategy.

Jezza has some support for his economic 'bash the bankers and the fat cats' view. It's only his terminally lunatic foreign polices that make him unelectable. He and McDonnell will soft-pedal these, possibly even deny them.

What can the Tories or even the Jacobites do? When you cry not only wolf, but a vampire, psychotic lupine beast, how do you expect to be believed in future?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

If those are the figures It cuts the Tory leadership possibilities to three. May Osborne or Hammond.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ll
    Scott_P said:

Isn't this just an indication that Labour feel tey can beat PM Osborne and lose to PM Boris?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I don't think Cameron had much of a choice, but I can't see this vote turning out well for the Conservative Party, whatever the outcome.

We both expect REMAIN to win. That said where do Con LEAVE go? Under FPTP UKIP is a dead end and the Conservatives most enduring quality as pragmatic power winners will assert itself yet again.

A more viable Labour party might have presented a problem but Jezza and co effectively give the Tories a free pass in 2020 with the new Con leader able to clear the boards and continue in government to 2025. Essentially we'll have Conservative hegemony in UK government and the SNP holding sway in Scotland.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    RodCrosby said:

Two dead, 11 wounded in Austria shooting on election day...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/austria-shooting-nenzing-gunman-kills-two-at-concert-before-turning-gun-on-himself-police-say-a7041896.html
    Sounds "biker"-related, non-terrorist.

May shift a view votes rightwards I suppose, although the FPO candidate already seemed odds-on to win...

Nick Griffin versus Patrick Harvie. Interesting choice.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

TA

I had that a couple of days back, managed to uninstall it (took over half an hour) and am back on W7HP. Have Chrome as well, maybe getting time for a new machine (tho' my son says not, but he understands the 21st century which is more than I can say for myself).

• Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

The attacks on Boris are becoming more sustained-Chris Patten had a go yesterday-and over the next month they're likely to build to a crescendo. He's a pretty easy target and points up the problems with putting so many of your eggs in one basket
    Altenatively he uniquely cuts through and resonates with the public necessitating the smear drive to go into warp speed.

There seems to be a rather nasty bout of schizophrenia in Derry Street. While the Daily Mail is as expected pro brexit, the Mail on Sunday has morphed into fanatical remain shills.
  • Options
    @PeterMannionMP: Ouch. Even the Mail on Sunday now attacking Brexit campaign's arguments. #MoS #StrongerIn #EUref https://t.co/ZlxtcFuaUe
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr W,

A sense of proportion? It's Cameron who is running his "Apres moi, le deluge" strategy.

Jezza has some support for his economic 'bash the bankers and the fat cats' view. It's only his terminally lunatic foreign polices that make him unelectable. He and McDonnell will soft-pedal these, possibly even deny them.

What can the Tories or even the Jacobites do? When you cry not only wolf, but a vampire, psychotic lupine beast, how do you expect to be believed in future?

It's not so much than any politician is "believed" as such but that in 2020 the electorate will essentially face a binary choice between the new Con leader (to my mind Theresa May) and Jezza.

It's like a rerun of 1992 but with Michael Foot with knobs on as LotO and the SNP as an ace in the hole for the Tories. The result will not be in doubt. The Conservative Mummy Returns.
  • Options
    @Reuters: Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Johnson? https://t.co/A6QCn2igG7 https://t.co/BLzezGpWKg
  • Options

Let us not forget the BES one.

22,000 surveyed

Brexit 43 to 40.5 ahead

Leave ahead on a knife edge by 45 to 44.5 with voters who say they are very likely to vote.

The new data, which comes from a long-term internet panel study led by some of Britain’s leading polling experts, are the first findings from a major study to be published later this month, which has been previewed by Channel 4 News.

Polling so far has fluctuated significantly, with neither side securing a convincing lead.

While white voters are split evenly, all ethnic minority groups are far more likely to back Remain. However, the data also suggests that turnout could be 20 to 25 per cent lower among ethnic minority voters. Voter registration is also lower

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-outcome-on-a-knife-edge-according-to-new-data-from-british-election-survey-a7034751.html

• Options
    How depressing .

The Hepi survey of 1,000 students found 76% would ban speakers who had views that offended them http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/survey-shows-up-snowflake-students-tkfjmzd73
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

We both expect REMAIN to win. That said where do Con LEAVE go? Under FPTP UKIP is a dead end and the Conservatives most enduring quality as pragmatic power winners will assert itself yet again.

A more viable Labour party might have presented a problem but Jezza and co effectively give the Tories a free pass in 2020 with the new Con leader able to clear the boards and continue in government to 2025. Essentially we'll have Conservative hegemony in UK government and the SNP holding sway in Scotland.

It's a huge stroke of luck for the Conservatives that Corbyn is in place.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

How depressing .

The Hepi survey of 1,000 students found 76% would ban speakers who had views that offended them http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/survey-shows-up-snowflake-students-tkfjmzd73

Safffffeeee sppppppppaceeeee...f##king idiots.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's a huge stroke of luck for the Conservatives that Corbyn is in place.

Quite so Sean.

It now seems more likely that Jezza will prevail through to 2020 and that prospect is like the Tories getting six numbers up on the Political Lotto.

I've been giving some consideration to when Cameron will go. I think there's a prospect that he might give his successor 12 months as PM through to May 2020 and thus allow the party to regroup and unify for the coming general election, where MP's in marginal seats and the party in general will be looking to the future rather than events of the past.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

How depressing .

What awaits us from the next generation of 'politicians'.

Godspeed Donald Trump...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

We both expect REMAIN to win. That said where do Con LEAVE go? Under FPTP UKIP is a dead end
    Are they? They racked up a lot of second places last time out. Their biggest problem is "UKIP as Farge-cult" limits its ability to attract quality poliicians
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PeterC said:

CD13 said:

There's going to be an awful lot of rancour afterwards. The well has been poisoned over this.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Are they? They racked up a lot of second places last time out. Their biggest problem is "UKIP as Farge-cult" limits its ability to attract quality poliicians

The Alliance "enjoyed" hundreds of runner-up spots in 83/87 and bugger all good it did them.

With FPTP second place is like Crystal Palace not winning the FA Cup. In six months few will remember, less will care and I've already forgotten who lost yesterday .... :smile:

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

We both expect REMAIN to win. That said where do Con LEAVE go? Under FPTP UKIP is a dead end
    Mostly pretty distant second places. They only stood a chance in 3 way marginals, and there are not many of those.

Assuming Remain win, what will UKIP offer? The referendum will settle the issue for at least a generation, possibly forever.
  • Options

How depressing .

And contrasts with Yougov finding that only 20% of 18-34 year olds overall support Rhodes Must Fall.

I think there's a massive gap in attitudes between young people who are students, and those who are not.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Bet on the start of the next recession, why not also bet on its duration?

Which scare story is used today is it the plague of boils or the plague of frogs or the slaughter of first born children, or light armoured vehicles on Salisbury Plain with EU flags?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Great experience having a drink in the bar of my hotel last night. Most the England team were there and the group dynamics were fascinating. Anderson is the man and Broad his close number 2. The whole group revolves around them. Finn was sitting beside Anderson and looking very comfortable. It is why he is playing on pitches that don't really suit him.

Joe Root was at the edge but joining in. He made a point of talking to Vince but Vince had not yet got the wag game with his girl staying with him. All the other wags had their own table. This was very definitely a male bonding session.

Great anecdote, sounds like you all had a good time :D
  • Options

How depressing .

The Times has another story about a primary school banning the use of playground whistles in case child become scared of them. Instead teachers have to raise their hand.

It just goes on and on and on. What next no fire bells? No smoke alarms? Car horns?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Mostly pretty distant second places. They only stood a chance in 3 way marginals, and there are not many of those.

Assuming Remain win, what will UKIP offer? The referendum will settle the issue for at least a generation, possibly forever.
    Immigration will remain a big issue. There will still be rows between the UK and the EU. Outside Lab/Con marginals, a Conservative who is unhappy about such things has nothing to lose by switching to UKIP. The SNP didn't vanish after the independence referendum, and UKIP won't vanish after this one.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

How depressing .

And contrasts with Yougov finding that only 20% of 18-34 year olds overall support Rhodes Must Fall.

I think there's a massive gap in attitudes between young people who are students, and those who are not.
    1/4 students would ban UKIP from campuses too - even more would ban tabloids, and books they don't like.

It's incredibly - and frighteningly puritanical. They're making the Loony Left 80s seem tolerant.
  • Options
    I would almost vote leave , just because it would piss of the Frogs if we did leave. Seriously though, remain will win because there is no solid answer to what would happen if we did leave, just surmise and promises, which are about as valuable as any political promise.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Which scare story is used today is it the plague of boils or the plague of frogs or the slaughter of first born children, or light armoured vehicles on Salisbury Plain with EU flags?

I think it's previous bosses of Tesco, Sainsbury's and M&S claiming their successors will be unable to source food from alternative suppliers - so prices will rise catastrophically.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MikeK said:

TA

Not only have I script errors but now crackle on my speakers.. (no solutions offered by a quick google work) I am seriously pissed of with Microsoft, they tell you nothing will change, then they feck your pc up and you have to pay someone loads to sort it out.. its disgraceful.
    Did you see my note below about how to undo the W10 'upgrade'? Send me a PM if you want a hand.

Also when you've got W7 or 8 back working, download a program called "GWX Control Panel" which stops the auto W10 updates from happening.
    http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html
    This last point goes for anyone who's fed up of W10 notifications and wants to stick with the operating system they have already.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Immigration will remain a big issue. There will still be rows between the UK and the EU. Outside Lab/Con marginals, a Conservative who is unhappy about such things has nothing to lose by switching to UKIP.
    Some voters may switch, but MPs have seen what happened to Carswell and Reckless and will stay put.

A Tory Leaver becoming leader and PM but bound by a Remain vote is going to be an interesting bit of party management.
  • Options
    Mr. Root, that sounds much the same as if we Remain, to be honest.

Miss Plato, didn't Stuart Rose say wages would rise if we left the EU? Now, magically, they'll fall.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Alistair said:

The Alliance "enjoyed" hundreds of runner-up spots in 83/87 and bugger all good it did them.

With FPTP second place is like Crystal Palace not winning the FA Cup. In six months few will remember, less will care and I've already forgotten who lost yesterday .... :smile:

Oh sure, if they go and just get second places a second time round they are toast but they haven't hit that point yet.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Miss Plato, pity my generation. We have the bloody lucky Baby Boomers ahead of us, and the delicate, fragile, puritanical Millennials behind.

Said it before, but I do wonder if this is the influence of the internet. Moderation, flagging 'inappropriate' posts, echo chambers and banning may have led some fools to think reality should mimic the online world.

Edited extra bit: that said, the generation between mine and the Boomers has the same problem...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Ll

Scott_P said:

Isn't this just an indication that Labour feel tey can beat PM Osborne and lose to PM Boris?
    Yes.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MikeK said:

TA

Did you see my note below about how to undo the W10 'upgrade'? Send me a PM if you want a hand.

Also when you've got W7 or 8 back working, download a program called "GWX Control Panel" which stops the auto W10 updates from happening.
    http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html
    This last point goes for anyone who's fed up of W10 notifications and wants to stick with the operating system they have already.
    Yes, I meant to say thanks but got distracted by script errors.. I'll be ok thanks , my brother is pretty clever at this sort of stuff, I'll put out an SOS to him!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,498
    Sean_F said:

It seems likely we'll have a recession at some point between now and 2020. If Leave win, this will be blamed on Leave. Indeed, any difficulty that arises will be blamed on Leave.

If Remain win, then Leave supporters will say " told you so", every time the EU does something we don't like. UKIP will keep chipping away at Conservative support. Some Conservatives who reluctantly voted Remain will feel like Labour supporters who reluctantly backed Tony Blair over Iraq.

Fully correct.
  • Options

How depressing .

The Times has another story about a primary school banning the use of playground whistles in case child become scared of them. Instead teachers have to raise their hand.

It just goes on and on and on. What next no fire bells? No smoke alarms? Car horns?
    And I thought this all reached its nadir with the NUS conference using jazz hands.
    How wrong I was.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Miss Plato, didn't Stuart Rose say wages would rise if we left the EU? Now, magically, they'll fall.

NO it isn't MD.. Remain is what we know, leave is a leap into the dark(side) ;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    edited May 2016
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MikeK said:

TA

I used to get regular calls from people, often with Indian accents, offering to sort out Microsoft problems.
  • Options

We all missed it.....
  • Options

I've reached the point where taking the piss out of StrongerIn is more amusing than the actual tales of woe from either side. Leave have some very funny ones.

The volume is up to 11 and I've gone deaf. IMO, the only thing that going to change hearts and minds now is something black-swannish. With c 30% undecided - no clear idea how many will be DNV, or are shy or sticking with nurse...

Polls schmolls. Digging into the various methodology changes/comparing results is interesting in a Cluedo way - I'm not relying on any of them.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

I think it's previous bosses of Tesco, Sainsbury's and M&S claiming their successors will be unable to source food from alternative suppliers - so prices will rise catastrophically.
    But if we get out of the CAP food prices will fall. It's all partisan scaremongering that can be seen through with a minute's research.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

The previous boss of Tesco certainly didn't leave the company in good shape when he departed as the value of my shares demonstrate,
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Immigration will remain a big issue. There will still be rows between the UK and the EU. Outside Lab/Con marginals, a Conservative who is unhappy about such things has nothing to lose by switching to UKIP.
    Some voters may switch, but MPs have seen what happened to Carswell and Reckless and will stay put.

A Tory Leaver becoming leader and PM but bound by a Remain vote is going to be an interesting bit of party management.
    It would be a lot easier after a snap GE which all the Tory MPs had fought on a "respect the result of the Referendum" manifesto. Betting opportunity: in that event,how many would copy Powell in Feb '74 & sit the election out?

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited May 2016
    Following an industrial dispute the North and West of France is running out of petrol. Round Calais doesnt look good.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/2016/05/21/20002-20160521ARTFIG00134-decouvrez-la-carte-des-penuries-de-carburants-dans-toute-la-france.php
  • Options

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

If they are sensible, they will hold the government to account on immigration being limited to 100,000, prosperity inside the EU, no dominance by the Eurozone and no futher integration. If the government turns out to have lied on those things, there should be hell to pay.

Personally, I will not vote for the Conservatives again unless either the leader or the local candidate is a eurosceptic. We tried putting in a supposed reluctant pro-EUer last time, and he turned out to be a raving europhile that would tell any lie to support Brussels. No other Remainer is willing to call out those lies, showing that they are snakes in the grass as an entire class.
  • Options

We all missed it.....
    Pretty extensive discussion on the Friday PM thread, though I was at work for most of it.

Anyone who believes it or the BES can hoover up free money. Leave are now up to 4.6 on Betfair.

• Options

I would almost vote leave , just because it would piss of the Frogs if we did leave. Seriously though, remain will win because there is no solid answer to what would happen if we did leave, just surmise and promises, which are about as valuable as any political promise.

We don't know what will happen if we remain either.

A Leave vote gives the UK Government a mandate to negotiate a new trading arrangement with the European Union on the principles outlined during the campaign.
  • Options

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

If they are sensible, they will hold the government to account on immigration being limited to 100,000, prosperity inside the EU, no dominance by the Eurozone and no futher integration. If the government turns out to have lied on those things, there should be hell to pay.

Personally, I will not vote for the Conservatives again unless either the leader or the local candidate is a eurosceptic. We tried putting in a supposed reluctant pro-EUer last time, and he turned out to be a raving europhile that would tell any lie to support Brussels. No other Remainer is willing to call out those lies, showing that they are snakes in the grass as an entire class.
    You do know that most MPs despise their constituency activists, don't you?

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283

We all missed it.....
    Pretty extensive discussion on the Friday PM thread, though I was at work for most of it.

Anyone who believes it or the BES can hoover up free money. Leave are now up to 4.6 on Betfair.

Personally, I'd say that is excellent value, given the concerns raised by YouGov on polling methods for this referendum. Also, I think Farage is right when he said yesterday in Guardian that Remains problem is the lack of voter passion for the issue. He thinks many people who say 'Yeh, well on balance, I think my situation is ok, I don't want to rock the economic boat etc etc', will actually on the day, after a hard day in work, sort of not get around to voting. Leavers really want out and they will vote. That's his argument, and I think it has some merit.

Apart from anything else, there's bound to be a scare or two for Remain in the final weeks which will offer some trading potential.

DYOR however.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

We all missed it.....

Personally, I'd say that is excellent value, given the concerns raised by YouGov on polling methods for this referendum. Also, I think Farage is right when he said yesterday in Guardian that Remains problem is the lack of voter passion for the issue. He thinks many people who say 'Yeh, well on balance, I think my situation is ok, I don't want to rock the economic boat etc etc', will actually on the day, after a hard day in work, sort of not get around to voting. Leavers really want out and they will vote. That's his argument, and I think it has some merit.

Apart from anything else, there's bound to be a scare or two for Remain in the final weeks which will offer some trading potential.

DYOR however.
    And of course, the televised debates....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Immigration will remain a big issue. There will still be rows between the UK and the EU. Outside Lab/Con marginals, a Conservative who is unhappy about such things has nothing to lose by switching to UKIP. The SNP didn't vanish after the independence referendum, and UKIP won't vanish after this one.
    Portsmouth North (Penny Mordaunt) is an interesting seat.

In 2001, Labour got 50.7% of the vote and the Liberal Democrats 10.3%. A 61% vote for the left/centre-left. Tory+UKIP were on 38.2%.

In 2015, Labour got just 23.8%, Greens 3.2% and TUSC 0.5%. The LDs 6.2%. By contrast, the Conservatives got 47% and UKIP 19.1% - over 66% for the right/centre-right.

That's quite a serious swing to the Right over 14 years.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Yes the televised debates are about all that can change this now. Still chances though if the project fear threats are subjected to sufficient ridicule.

A good example in the ST today. Apparently London is going to lose all its euro trading if we Brexit. This being the same London that buys and sells more dollars every day than New York.
This discussion has been closed.