Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump remains the value bet for the Presidency

Comments

• Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412
    edited May 2016

First-time buyers should vote LEAVE for lower house prices!

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!

Depreciating assets are not good for first time buyers.

Please justify this remark.

Falling price of something you're about to increase the consumption thereof is bad?

Depreciating assets are not good for existing owners.
    Mr Bilge, you used my image I Tweeted - much respec'!
    Yes, I may have to pay royalties to yourself and Alastair Meeks every time I post!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!

Falling price of something you're about to increase the consumption thereof is bad?

Yes, I may have to pay royalties to yourself and Alastair Meeks every time I post!
    Which do you prefer? Vapid? Or Blige?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

HYUFD said:

Elton on Graham Norton now! Other guests looking rather sheepish

He seems to be all over the press over the past few days. Does he have a new record or musical out?
    I just can't imagine why he'd be all over the press.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

@SeanT

"Which means that Hastings is a bargain. ..."

I assume you have never been to the place. Hastings is a dump. It is just awful and always has been. The one place in Sussex that can make Crawley look good.

Sure.

But Peckham is also a dump. So is Brixton. And much of Hackney, Dalston, Stoke Newington. Many on here would claim my very own manor, Camden, is a total dump.

That doesn't stop one bed flats in Camden selling for half a million quid.

It's all about perception. Once a place is seen as cool the property price prophecy is self fulfilling.

Most of Hastings is a dump (as is St. Leonards). But, the Old Town is great.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!

Negative equity if you have just purchased with a mortgage.
    Hmm..

You are unlikely to be in negative equity if you've just purchased. Or are you using 100% mortgages? Or are 125% mortgages back again?

If negative equity is so bad, how did 125% mortgages even exist?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Sean_F said:

Most of Hastings is a dump (as is St. Leonards). But, the Old Town is great.

What remains of it. The council did their damnedest to wipe out, systematically, all trace of what until the 60s was a well-preserved mediaeval town.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited May 2016

Moses_ said:

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!

Hmm..

You are unlikely to be in negative equity if you've just purchased. Or are you using 100% mortgages? Or are 125% mortgages back again?

True.... When I say just its first few years of payments. Negative equality is less likely to exist now due to the larger deposits demanded. I did read recently that many new buyers had not factored in interest rate rises though. A rise of even 1% could cause some issues and 2% many foreclosures. .
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!

Hmm..

True.... Negative equality is less likely to exist now due to the larger deposits demanded. I did read recently that many new buyers had not factored in interest rate rises though. A rise of even 1% could cause some issues and 2% many foreclosures. .
    Well, what can I say about such people? Better not ...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

@SeanT

"Which means that Hastings is a bargain. ..."

I assume you have never been to the place. Hastings is a dump. It is just awful and always has been. The one place in Sussex that can make Crawley look good.

Sure.

But Peckham is also a dump. So is Brixton. And much of Hackney, Dalston, Stoke Newington. Many on here would claim my very own manor, Camden, is a total dump.

That doesn't stop one bed flats in Camden selling for half a million quid.

It's all about perception. Once a place is seen as cool the property price prophecy is self fulfilling.

But Hastings isn't in inner London so rather less likely to attract City or overseas money.
    lol.

Billionaire oligarchs are never going to buy in Hastings, that I agree.

The people who WILL buy there (unless there is a crash) are young native Brits utterly priced out of Londoe use, with a garden, near the sea.

There aren't many places left that tick those boxes. Hastings is one. It has a period core. An artsy scene. It also has drug addicts and horrible chavvy pubs. But people are desperate to buy anything, right now.

You could say the same about Southend where the journey to London is half an hour quicker than from Hastings!
    I would deffo say the same about Southend. Except it's already been spotted. The boom arrived a while ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2253516/Southend-longer-resort-Essex-town-revealed-UK-property-hotspot-2012.html
    Agree there, though Southend has grammar schools too which helps, Hastings is comprehensive
    Even Ilford has grammar schools :)
    Sadly, they lack children bright enough to pass the 11 plus.
    I passed my 11-plus (I'm an Ilford County old boy, attended 1987-1994)
    According to Wikipedia, you were the last Ilford boy to pass
    Huh? Link please!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Elton looks well. :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,232
    GIN1138 said:
    Provided he does not have any scandals of his own
  • Options

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!

I cannot speak for Mr Meeks himself, but the image does carry your name, so I waive any copyright :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:
    I expect he does but he probably has the ability to "ride them out" at this point... Unlike Mr and Mrs Clinton who are drinking in the last chance saloon.
  • Options
    Oh, BTW, our EUref polling cards came through in the post.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

I think it is because they are in the company of a Rocket Man....

Did he play any tunes on the show? Perhaps a classic like "I'm still standing"?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:
    I expect he does but he probably has the ability to "ride them out" at this point... Unlike Mr and Mrs Clinton who are drinking in the last chance saloon.
    Depends what it is, there have been allegations of rape made against him, dodgy financial dealings etc. None of them proven of course but if anything similar were proven it would likely be fatal
  • Options

We've not had our's yet... Maybe they won't send any to us after we posted Cameron's disgraceful propaganda leaflet back to him.?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He's Still Standing, Like A Candle In The Wind....
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    :smiley:

Theodore Dixon
    @DanHannanMEP @MirrorPolitics Because of the war - lots of people are going to die which will create less demand for housing.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:
    1) So far he seems to be fairly Teflon.

2) You have to remember that he has positioned himself as the outsider, the man to shake things up, make America great again, bring jobs back to the rust belt etc etc etc. Its all nonsense, but that is what people thinking about voting want to hear.

What they don't want to be reminded of is Clinton's are machine politicians, and any dodgy dealings, cozying up to banks etc etc etc.

Depending on the scandal, I think can gets more a pass from potential voters for him, where as a Clinton one that would suppress turnout for her / Clinton brand.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Russell Crowe, Ryan Gosling, Tom Daly, Jodie Foster and Greg Davies were the other guests. No he performed a duet with a new partner from Bright Light Bright, clearly he is open minded about new experiences
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Russell Crowe, Ryan Gosling, Tom Daly, Jodie Foster and Greg Davies were the other guests. No he performed a duet with a new partner from Bright Light Bright, clearly he is open minded about new experiences
    Bloody hell thats a lot of guests and most with massive egos...I bet the Green Room before the show was fun :-)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Moses_ said:

Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!

Hmm..

The estate agent round the corner from me is advertising 125% mortgages on repossessed Spanish villas.

What could possibly go wrong with that?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

:open_mouth:

These post's are soooooooooo.... Gonna be deleted in the morning! :smiley:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If someone were to use the words "innocent" and "face", I'd start to get a little concerned...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I have no idea why you would say that. We are just discussing the appearance of one of Britain's most famous pop stars on one of Britain's biggest tv shows...
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If someone were to use the words "innocent" and "face", I'd start to get a little concerned...
    Hush! :smiley:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

At least he didn't storm out in a writ of fealous jage.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,175

Send it to me: I'll fill it out and post it for you.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

http://www.relatably.com/m/img/innocent-memes/innocent-panda_o_637246.jpg
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I have no idea why you would say that. We are just discussing the appearance of one of Britain's most famous pop stars on one of Britain's biggest tv shows...
    It even has a topical political angle. In an interview a couple of days ago, Trump said he had so many people at a rally in Washington State it was as they'd come to see Elton John.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

We've not had our's yet... Maybe they won't send any to us after we posted Cameron's disgraceful propaganda leaflet back to him.?
    Did you or did you not send anything else with it? :D
  • Options

Greater Fool theory.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2016
    My tip for Trump's Veep continues to make waves (and achieve things) in Washington...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/11/477716378/congress-approves-arlington-cemetery-burials-for-female-wwii-pilots

This is the lady who - under pain of court martial - sued Donald Rumsfeld in 2001, refusing to submit to the military order that female US military personnel wear the burkha when off-base in Saudi Arabia. She won.

A decade later, when ex-USAF Colonel McSally was running for Congress in Arizona [Gaby Giffords' old district], an envelope containing a significant campaign donation arrived at her HQ. The cheque was signed Donald Rumsfeld... [A true story]
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It even has a topical political angle. In an interview a couple of days ago, Trump said he had so many people at a rally in Washington State it was as they'd come to see Elton John.
    Heaven forbid we ever go off topic on PB!!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Greater Fool theory.
    That explains why people took them, not why they were offered.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:
    1) So far he seems to be fairly Teflon.

2) You have to remember that he has positioned himself as the outsider, the man to shake things up, make America great again, bring jobs back to the rust belt etc etc etc. Its all nonsense, but that is what people thinking about voting want to hear.

What they don't want to be reminded of is Clinton's are machine politicians, and any dodgy dealings, cozying up to banks etc etc etc.

Depending on the scandal, I think can gets more a pass from potential voters for him, where as a Clinton one that would suppress turnout for her / Clinton brand.
    It depends entirely on what the scandal is, whether it was potentially criminal etc. If you are still voting for Hillary after all the Clintons history it would have to be something pretty major for you to turn away now
  • Options

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ah yes, Ailuropoda Bercowi
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Nope. Just wrote "Return to: Mr D. Cameron, 10 Downing St, London, SW1...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ah yes, Ailuropoda Bercowi
    LOL
  • Options

Economics201: Explain (Again) Why Lower House Prices Are A Good Thing

Lower house prices are a good thing.

But (counter-intuitively) falling house prices are a bad thing: or at least difficult to cope with. If you think prices are falling there is no incentive to buy now, because it always makes sense to wait. So the market seizes up as nobody has an incentive to make the first move[1]

[1] I think this is a suboptimal Nash equilibrium, although somebody who knows what they're talking about may know better than I.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

My tip for Trump's Veep continues to make waves (and achieve things) in Washington...

What about Joni Ernst? She's from Iowa so could be useful electorally. Also has a military background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yk8a0Qevio
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Nope. Just wrote "Return to: Mr D. Cameron, 10 Downing St, London, SW1...
    No snide comments about Dave's high score on candy crush I hope. One sure fire way of getting your name struck off the electoral roll ;)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Bloody hell thats a lot of guests and most with massive egos...I bet the Green Room before the show was fun :-)
    I bet it went dead quiet the moment Elton walked in...they were probably just knocked back by the brilliance of his new single
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Send it to me: I'll fill it out and post it for you.
    Polling cards, NOT ballot papers!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Elton is clearly more relaxed about things as he gets older
  • Options
    Dexy pgtipsster • 8 hours ago

This limerick ain't very funny.
    It's about this whole kraut hegemony.
    They create calamity,
    Then call out for amity
    And dole out our own fcking money.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/05/20/feel-love-eu-bank-heaps-cash-attention-pre-vote-britons/
  • Options

viewcode said:

Greater Fool theory.
    That explains why people took them, not why they were offered.
    No, I was explaining why they were offered. By 2004 (was that when the 125% Together mortgage came out?), house prices had been rising on/over 10%pa for about five years. Banks and building societies were falling over themselves to offer mortgages, since the new collateralised debt thingies made mortgages easy to offer and if the purchaser defaulted, well the rise in house prices in the interim meant you would make a profit regardless. So the terms became looser and looser, and - hey - suddenly you had 125% mortgages! Partay!

In (about?) 2004, the first hiccup in growth took place. Brown departed from his golden rule (as a precursor to his departure from sanity) and hosed public money into the market. Growth resumed and the small crash we should have had in 2004 was postponed till the bigger crash in b2008, when house prices fell by 20% in one year.

(sorry, I get a bit ranty at things like this)
  • Options
    @williamglenn

Very possible, also.

...aber Trump/Ernst klingt zu Deutsch, nein? (^_-)
  • Options

Dexy pgtipsster • 8 hours ago

This limerick ain't very funny.
    It's about this whole kraut hegemony.
    They create calamity,
    Then call out for amity
    And dole out our own fcking money

Isn't it pronounced "hedge-emmony"? Or have I been doing it wrong all this time?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

@williamglenn

Very possible, also.

"Springtime for Hillary" - The Producers.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

@williamglenn

Very possible, also.

Don't be stupid/be a smarty/come and join/the Republican Party
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Rent controls on the way back...

Councils would be given the power to limit "skyrocketing" rent increases under new Labour proposals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36348550
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

@williamglenn

Very possible, also.

Don't be stupid/be a smarty/come and join/the Republican Party
    Nein! Nein! Nein!

"Don't be stupid/be a smarty/come and join/the Democrat Party"
  • Options
    It'll all be carefully choreographed [by Trump, of course, as usual]

He selects a very strong female Veep.

When asked "How can you support Donald Trump?" she says...

"Donald isn't perfect. What man is? But I believe his heart is in the right place, and together he and I will work for the entire American family." [or somesuch]

100 million American women now believe they can "change" Donald Trump, by voting for him...

Simples! [and genius]
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

It'll all be carefully choreographed [by Trump, of course, as usual]

He selects a very strong female Veep.

When asked "How can you support Donald Trump?" she says...

"Donald isn't perfect. What man is? But I believe his heart is in the right place, and together he and I will work for the entire American family." [or somesuch]

100 million American women now believe they can "change" Donald Trump, by voting for him...

Simples! [and genius]

Trump will not pick someone who risks overshadowing him and it is entirely possible Hillary picks a woman too, if not probably a Hispanic
  • Options
    And The Donald is in to 3.65 on BF - almost his shortest-ever odds...
  • Options
    Greek judges have ruled that a Syrian asylum seeker should not be sent back to Turkey because it is not safe.

Amnesty International campaigners say the decision throws the EU-Turkey migrant deal into doubt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36345990

Not that they were sending anybody back anyway....loads of money down the tubes.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The actor who played Wilbur Post died today. The show was called Mr ED, and featured a talking horse.

He was a brit from North Shields.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/05/20/alan-young-star-1960s-sitcom-mr-ed-dies-at-96.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,858
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Elton is clearly more relaxed about things as he gets older
    The Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3600767/Elton-John-69-hints-retirement-touring-debuts-new-musical-partnership-Graham-Norton-Show.html

Describes Elton as a 'Top Performer'.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,883
    Dear Lord this shitty celeb is going to need to buy a lot of flowers to hide the smell of their new reputation...
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    I would think that possibly as many as 50% of people who think they know the details of court injunctions, don't.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    alex. said:

I would think that possibly as many as 50% of people who think they know the details of court injunctions, don't.

Higher than that based on this thread.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    O/T

"The favourite to end up in the last two with a Brexiter if there is an early leadership contest is Theresa May, described by one who knows her well as “cold, unfriendly, charmless, not as clever as she thinks she is, lacking imagination, unable to think outside the railway lines and intellectually dishonest”. However, he said that were the choice to be between her and Johnson, “I would, of course, vote for her.”"

quite interesting article here:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/05/tory-civil-war
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited May 2016
    RodCrosby said

"100 million American women now believe they can "change" Donald Trump, by voting for him..."
    Well, I guess about half of all the silly people are women.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    OK so if we Leave there'll be a war, ISIS will invade us, even if you still have a job your house will collapse and you won't afford to eat. Got it.

And its not a bunch of loonies on the internet propagating this bollox, its our govt, the PM and Chancellor, terrorising the electorate with utter garbage purely for their own sordid ends. I want to ask Cameron: if Brexit equals Armageddon why put us at risk in the first place and why do around half of us simply not believe your lies?

This charlatan has me pining for the integrity and sincerity of Blair, I warned ages ago of his duplicity, regardless of the referendum we'll have the last laugh, he is despicable.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

O/T

"The favourite to end up in the last two with a Brexiter if there is an early leadership contest is Theresa May, described by one who knows her well as “cold, unfriendly, charmless, not as clever as she thinks she is, lacking imagination, unable to think outside the railway lines and intellectually dishonest”. However, he said that were the choice to be between her and Johnson, “I would, of course, vote for her.”"

Osborne, Boris and May all have a lot of MPs who are strongly opposed to their becoming leader. It's a taylor-made opportunity for a bland man in a grey suit.
  • Options
    btw good piece Mr Herdson, explaining why you think Trump is value and what price you think he should be.

On here I read continually:

I want x,y or z to happen, therefore its a value bet.

That's why Mr Hill, Coral and Done have been successful, amongst others.
  • Options

O/T

Osborne, Boris and May all have a lot of MPs who are strongly opposed to their becoming leader. It's a taylor-made opportunity for a bland man in a grey suit.
    I wonder if Priti Patel is worth considering, ticks lots of boxes and seems relatively unscarred by the referendum opprobrium so far. I've no idea how the tory party operates but she's the type that would tempt me back rather than a grey man.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

O/T

Oh, instead of a bland man in blue Y-Fronts?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    MikeK said:

Oh, instead of a bland man in blue Y-Fronts?

Knickers .... :smile:

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    This Egyptair crash is a bit of a mystery. Am I right in thinking that as yet no-one has claimed responsibility for it? If the crash did involve terrorism that surely would have happened by now. ISIS and co are not exactly shy about coming forward about these things.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,032

This Egyptair crash is a bit of a mystery. Am I right in thinking that as yet no-one has claimed responsibility for it? If the crash did involve terrorism that surely would have happened by now. ISIS and co are not exactly shy about coming forward about these things.

It's very weird that they've announced twice that they found the wreckage, yet there's no photos of anything that might have come from a plane. The pilots forums are discussing the reliability of a screenshot purporting to show maintainence messages sent by satellite from the plane in its last minutes, that could suggest a fire rather than a sudden bomb explosion. As you say, no terrorists have claimed to be responsible, but maybe they will do that in a few days when it slips from the front pages.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36348389
    Belgian prison chaos prompts fears of national malaise

I certainly have no feeling for played out Belgium, but with Britain's prison problems recently highlighted, we have no reason gloat. National malaise the BBC call it. Ho, ho! Look who's calling the kettle black.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

O/T

I wonder if Priti Patel is worth considering, ticks lots of boxes and seems relatively unscarred by the referendum opprobrium so far. I've no idea how the tory party operates but she's the type that would tempt me back rather than a grey man.
    Her "no one is ever wrongly convicted" question time answer about the death penalty should disqualify her.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Ho, ho! Look who's calling the kettle black.

UKIP member @MikeK in devastating attack on ethnic minority kitchen equipment .... :astonished:

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Observer, didn't they take a while before claiming responsibility for the other downed plane?

On-topic: indeed, Trump has a credible chance of winning. I wonder if anyone here put sums on him at long odds some time ago. Must have been some juicy odds.
  • Options
    Mr. W, speaking of ethnic minorities, police attacked for not having forces that represent demography:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36348750

Very unfair to have no acknowledgement of the excellent work of the Met. One minority group in London (white British) is well-represented.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,788

O/T

Unsurprisingly, I agree.
  • Options

Mr. W, speaking of ethnic minorities, police attacked for not having forces that represent demography:

Very unfair to have no acknowledgement of the excellent work of the Met. One minority group in London (white British) is well-represented.

Exactly how do you compel people to join the police who do not wish to?
  • Options
    Mr. F, not sure. One eagerly awaits the articles about how horrendous it is so many children have no male primary school teachers.
  • Options

Do we have numbers for the preposterous public dancers in odd costumes minority ? .... They certainly appear over represented on PB .. :smile:
  • Options
    Mr. W, you may disparage the morris, but all who see the magnificence of a dancer's wiffle stick is entranced by its mesmeric power.
  • Options
    House prices down by 20% if we leave the EU - bring it on.

House prices actually need to fall by something like 75% in London and the south of England. They are absolutely insane and barely now affordable at 0% interest.

Imagine what will happen next time interest rates reach 15%

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,788

Mr. W, you may disparage the morris, but all who see the magnificence of a dancer's wiffle stick is entranced by its mesmeric power.

I saw an all female Morris group performing last weekend. They were doing some very impressive things with their wiffle sticks...
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, the morris encourages diversity of all types. Believe it or not, women can also look quite good in lace.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,095

House prices actually need to fall by something like 75% in London and the south of England. They are absolutely insane and barely now affordable at 0% interest.

Imagine what will happen next time interest rates hit 4%. That by itself would double most monthly repayments...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

O/T

Unsurprisingly, I agree.
    I went to see her at a Vote.Leave event this week.

She performed reasonably well, but little real star quality. I cannot see her making the final two.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Huge mortgages at low interest rates are affordable, I cannot see a return to the 12 % I paid on my first house. The problem is paying back the capital. Historically inflation eroded this so that within a few years the payments were much more affordable, now that point is not reached.
  • Options
    Looking in on Dragonmount I found this:

Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet 

So, all Fantasy lovers WOT will probably be appearing in a few years. LOL :D
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited May 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Economics201: Explain (Again) Why Lower House Prices Are A Good Thing

Q: Is it good to have a Chancellor who hasn't a clue (and is plain daft on this issue)?

Lower hose prices are a good thing.

But massively lower house prices are a bad thing, because that would reduce labour market mobility (those with negative equity cannot easily move), and likely precipitate another banking crisis.
    They are if you are wealthy.

A massive house price crash would represent a vast redistrubution of wealth from the top 20% of society to the other 80%

Since high house prices mean that it costs more to get a larger house even if your house is worth more and moving cost lump sums increase drastically due to stamp duty and % charges by estate agents etc. there are only four real beneficiaries.

1) Already well off people who's parents die inherit more.

2) Banks who earn vast amounts of interest and commission

3) Eatate agents

4)) Gideon who rakes in more stamp duty and VAT on all the moving fees and saves a fortune on care home fees because higher house prices mean you can last longer dribbling in your venture capitalist owned concentration camp care home before your assets are exhausted and he has to pay.

Any of that suffering are likely to be welcomed by the WWC.

Hence it is a typical scenario where the elite are aghast at the prospect and think it is a good shroud to wave whereas ordinary people like me think, bring it on, it dosen't matter what my house is worth I will never see the money and if prices crash my kids might actually be able to buy something nearby without being tied to a vast debt their whole lives.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    eek said:

Imagine what will happen next time interest rates hit 4%. That by itself would double most monthly repayments...
    I mentioned last night on this thread that it has been highlighted already in the media many newer mortgage holders ( and even medium term holders) had not factored in a rise in interest rates. Both had become used to the very low rates and medium term holders had allocated the savings elsewhere etc.
    1% rise would cause difficulties for quite a few 2% would result in many foreclosures. It's something that should be of serious concern yet is rarely mentioned or guarded against particularly by the mortgage holders themselves.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Gordon Brown Random number generator spins into action. Single Market creates 500,000 jobs...provides aid for UK steel industry and lower energy prices.

Almost as incoherent as Osborne.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/gordon-brown/news/75225/gordon-brown-issues-pro-eu-rallying
  • Options

Believe it or not, women can also look quite good in lace.

They can look mighty fine in leather or PVC too :-)

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,593
    Moses_ said:

eek said:

I mentioned last night on this thread that it has been highlighted already in the media many newer mortgage holders ( and even medium term holders) had not factored in a rise in interest rates. Both had become used to the very low rates and medium term holders had allocated the savings elsewhere etc.
    1% rise would cause difficulties for quite a few 2% would result in many foreclosures. It's something that should be of serious concern yet is rarely mentioned or guarded against particularly by the mortgage holders themselves.
    The trouble is a very human reaction. Huge numbers of first time buyers must be of an age where they have effectively never known any other interest level.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Gordon Brown Random number generator spins into action. Single Market creates 500,000 jobs...provides aid for UK steel industry and lower energy prices.

Almost as incoherent as Osborne.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/gordon-brown/news/75225/gordon-brown-issues-pro-eu-rallying

"Provides aid for steel?" I thought the very opposite was stated on this forum along the lines of the EU prevents state intervention in such industries. Not sure how the EU can do this then?

Either way if they do support steel in the UK and in Europe why has it gone to the wall undermined by cheap imports from the Far East that the EU seems so keen on using?

This discussion has been closed.