Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump remains the value bet for the Presidency

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Gin, more than happy for people who let their dogs defecate on footpaths to be thrown to lions for public titillation.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,229

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

I would think that possibly as many as 50% of people who think they know the details of court injunctions, don't.

This one has been particularly ineffectual.
    The Streisand effect will always kick in.
    Still, at least the lawyers will be earning handsomely.
    Given that everyone already knows who's being talked about, prolonging the case now is just paying the mortgages and the school fees of the lawyers. The only reason they could be doing it is to have the Supreme Court make a ruling that amounts to a privacy law, which would most likely be overturned by Parliament anyway.
    Indeed. If they had not gone the injunction route, I'm sure most of us would have forgotten all about it by now.
    It's not as if the story is especially interesting.
    Quite the opposite, who cares a jot about some sad loser , only thing that has fuelled it is the stupidity of them thinking they are important and wasting a fortune on a lost cause. Why not just man up and take their medicine for stupidity.
    Who created the English, Malc? God - or Satan?

Can I have that in a fashion that a human being can understand. How you got from an injunction to the creation of England in one step has me baffled.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Looking in on Dragonmount I found this:

Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet 

So, all Fantasy lovers WOT will probably be appearing in a few years. LOL :D

Awesome. Game of thrones will be finished on to by them, good timing if people can transition to what us quite a different style.
    Do you have any recommendations for the summer series? I can't believe Wayward Pines and Zoo have been renewed.
    Preacher. Starts on Amazon Prime on 23rd I believe
    I've really enjoyed Hell on Wheels on Prime
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    rcs1000 said:

Just regarding house prices. While lower house prices in general would be good for the UK economy:

1. Houses as a percent of family wealth peaks in the 60-65 percentile, and becomes relatively small for those above 95%. Furthermore, those in the top 5% are much more likely to have overseas assets, which would be worth a lot more in the event of Brexit.

2. A significant decline (say, more than 35%) would likely lead to significantly reduced labour mobility due to large numbers of people being in negative equity. In addition, it's worth remembering we've only just sorted out our banks (at massive cost to the taxpayer). A drastic reduction in prices might well lead to some of them being too be bailed out again.

I don't think a decline of more than 10% nationally is at all likely.
  • Options
    John Denham used to worry about having too few Labour seats in Southern England. Now he worries about too few Labour seats in England.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/13/labour-scotland-england-tory-snp?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    taffys said:

Vince Cable
    @vincecable
    Osborne on house prices. Surely big price fall good for affordability and economic balance. Stick to jobs and basic economics George.

We have a number of young people working for our company that have zero chance of buying a home right now - if prices came off a few percentage points to at least give them a shot at owning something I would be very happy, even though I am a householder myself.
    Totally agree. Without these future buyers the market stagnates anyway because no one can move through the flat, mid terrace semi and then detached house food chain line of purchase.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    Elton John - "I'm Still Standing" on the radio here right now! :smiley:
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

It is this screw-the-English attitude that renders the SNP forever toxic to English voters.

Exactly.

As long as the SNP "social democratic" policies are funded entirely by English taxpayers, there can be no accommodation that helps Labour
    What a moronic cretin you really are.
    Morning Macl! :smiley:
    Morning Gin, pretty poor fare today , not worth intelligent people hanging about by the looks of it. The looneys nurses must be off sick/ late.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited May 2016
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

tlg86 said:

I am not so sure. As the sindyref ardour cools, and with no second referendum in the offing, I can see that the social democracy of the SNP being seen in a fairly positive light in England. Indeed the situation may well reverse and Nicola seen by centrist voters in England as a restraining influence on the corbynistas.

I think if we had ended up with Labour being propped up by the SNP I doubt there would have been any shameless pork given to Scotland (well, no more than has happened in the past!). The problem is that the SNP is seen by the English as the Scottish Party rather than the social democrat party in Scotland. Until the English think that SNP can be trusted not to put the needs of Dundee ahead of those of Derby, I think Labour will have a big problem.
    People can't figure out why they have their own full Parliament subsidised by the English and yet they also have MPs sitting at Westminster voting on the daily lives of Mrs Scoggins of No2, Railway Sidings, Middle Fartingbridge.
    Perhaps 'people' should get off there no-doubt ample arses and start asking for EVEL, Federalism, English devolution or whatever constitutional arrangement that would salve there wounded amour propre. That would require effort rather than sedentary whining of course.
    Indeed I could not agree more. However it seems there can be an SNP, a Plaid Cymru even the Irish have variations but an English equivalent is not allowed. If ever there is they become derided as nazis, little Englanders < insert other preferred form of abuse here>

At least I didn't mention Hitler.

Oh?
    Not allowed?
    Poor, old bullied & browbeaten English, over 80% of the UK electorate but still without the courage to vote for the parties they really want.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited May 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Just regarding house prices. While lower house prices in general would be good for the UK economy:

1. Houses as a percent of family wealth peaks in the 60-65 percentile, and becomes relatively small for those above 95%. Furthermore, those in the top 5% are much more likely to have overseas assets, which would be worth a lot more in the event of Brexit.

2. A significant decline (say, more than 35%) would likely lead to significantly reduced labour mobility due to large numbers of people being in negative equity. In addition, it's worth remembering we've only just sorted out our banks (at massive cost to the taxpayer). A drastic reduction in prices might well lead to some of them being too be bailed out again.

Their claim is "Leave < Remain", not drop 35%. Prices would still go up, just at a different rate. The table is:

How would an EU exit affect average house prices?
    Year Remain in EU Leave EU
    2016 £278,500 £277,600
    2017 £290,800 £288,900
    2018 £303,000 £300,800

London
    2016 £536,000 £533,700
    2017 £564,500 £559,300
    2018 £599,200 £591,700
    source: NAEA/ ARLA/ CEBR
    All bollox anyway.
  • Options

Vince Cable
    @vincecable
    Osborne on house prices. Surely big price fall good for affordability and economic balance. Stick to jobs and basic economics George.

That celebrity threesome with Ed Balls isn't working out so well. Perhaps an injunction is required.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Elton John - "I'm Still Standing" on the radio here right now! :smiley:

Dont let the son go down on me next?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    My understanding of the house price situation is that while there is an excess of demand over supply of houses and while interest rates stay low then house prices should rise. There is no evidence that supply is going to match demand any time soon so it's all down to interest rates. Current expectations are for low interest rates to persist for at least the medium term. Therefore house prices should continue to rise.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

It is this screw-the-English attitude that renders the SNP forever toxic to English voters.

Exactly.

As long as the SNP "social democratic" policies are funded entirely by English taxpayers, there can be no accommodation that helps Labour
    Morning Gin, pretty poor fare today , not worth intelligent people hanging about by the looks of it. The looneys nurses must be off sick/ late.
    One has to try to educate the loonies though...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Moses_ said:

taffys said:

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

We have a number of young people working for our company that have zero chance of buying a home right now - if prices came off a few percentage points to at least give them a shot at owning something I would be very happy, even though I am a householder myself.
    Totally agree. Without these future buyers the market stagnates anyway because no one can move through the flat, mid terrace semi and then detached house food chain line of purchase.
    This only goes to show what Osborne thinks of householders - ie greedy people who don;t care about generation rent. I know I care.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

tlg86 said:

I am not so sure. As the sindyref ardour cools, and with no second referendum in the offing, I can see that the social democracy of the SNP being seen in a fairly positive light in England. Indeed the situation may well reverse and Nicola seen by centrist voters in England as a restraining influence on the corbynistas.

I think if we had ended up with Labour being propped up by the SNP I doubt there would have been any shameless pork given to Scotland (well, no more than has happened in the past!). The problem is that the SNP is seen by the English as the Scottish Party rather than the social democrat party in Scotland. Until the English think that SNP can be trusted not to put the needs of Dundee ahead of those of Derby, I think Labour will have a big problem.
    People can't figure out why they have their own full Parliament subsidised by the English and yet they also have MPs sitting at Westminster voting on the daily lives of Mrs Scoggins of No2, Railway Sidings, Middle Fartingbridge.
    Scott has a brother who is equally as thick and bigoted as him, who would have believed it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,255
    stjohn said:

My understanding of the house price situation is that while there is an excess of demand over supply of houses and while interest rates stay low then house prices should rise. There is no evidence that supply is going to match demand any time soon so it's all down to interest rates. Current expectations are for low interest rates to persist for at least the medium term. Therefore house prices should continue to rise.

There is a record amount of new London residential construction right now.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

EPG said:

A fall in house prices won't necessarily redistribute wealth downward. Lots of countries and US states had house price collapses recently; it just destroys wealth. Some concepts are getting confused, I think.

Aka negative equity.
    Mind you if you are just using it to live in as opposed to making money that shouldn't be an "immediate" consideration. The problem now of course is since the Scottish twat Brown destroyed your old age some people will be looking to sell and downsize hoping the increased equity will fair them a better retirement.
    He had plenty of English twats assisting him , you English Nationalists really should look at the massiv echips on your shoulders. I know you feel inferior but take responsibilty.
    *reels in*
    :lol:
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

tlg86 said:

Perhaps 'people' should get off there no-doubt ample arses and start asking for EVEL, Federalism, English devolution or whatever constitutional arrangement that would salve there wounded amour propre. That would require effort rather than sedentary whining of course.
    Indeed I could not agree more. However it seems there can be an SNP, a Plaid Cymru even the Irish have variations but an English equivalent is not allowed. If ever there is they become derided as nazis, little Englanders < insert other preferred form of abuse here>

Oh?
    You have your BNP/EDL
  • Options
    What Vote LEAVE should do is point out the dip in house prices in some areas brought about by Osborne's recent policies.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,868
    malcolmg said:

I can see that the social democracy of the SNP

What Social Democracy of the SNP?

Poor kids in Scotland do worse educationally than poor kids in evil Tory England because the SNP prefers to featherbed middle class kids with free University education......similarly the Scottish middle class enjoy free prescriptions, while their English compatriots pay for them.....

In England 'SNP Social Democracy' might be better described as 'Tory'.....
    another looney toon who has obviously had brain addled living in tax exile and imagines delusionally that she knows anything about reality in Scotland.
    Malcolm, given you have grand children in the Scottish education system I would have hoped your views were better informed than you demonstrate. Unless of course they're fortunate to be being brought up in a better off family, in which case the free tuition (paid for by the poor) will no doubt be welcome.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jan/22/medical-school-students-wealthy-backgrounds?CMP=share_btn_tw

Among English students, 38% came from the most affluent 20% of postcodes, compared with 54% of those in Scotland, 55% from Wales and 51% in Northern Ireland. In England, 8.7% of medical students were from the poorest 20% by postcode, against 4.3% in Scotland, 6.5% in Wales and 3.2% in Northern Ireland.

Nonetheless, for someone who professes to love his country, this 'sauve qui peut' does you no credit....
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly.

One has to try to educate the loonies though...
    It is a hard gig on here Gin. Luckily I have fortitude.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016
    rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

City AM reported a few weeks ago that 1/3 of London property on offer has cut its asking prices after 1st April.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2016
    If I were Remain, I would avoid talking about housing as much as possible.

Competition for social rentals, sky-high private rentals and insane asset price inflation on purchased properties.

The case for Leave to dampen demand and make property more affordable is obvious.

The only real losers will be BTL landlords and people that have over-stretched on borrowing. And the government too. If (when) the asset price bubble goes pop, everyone will ask what George and Carney have been doing.

In my locality prices are up about 70% in three years.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

tlg86 said:

4 years is a long time in politics.

I could see Corbyn coming to an agreement in advance of a GE on a common platform for government. If it is explicit in advance a lot of the fears are neutralised.
    I'd be up for that - if Nicola would guarantee to put independence on ice for the period in return for plenty of devolution, I think there'd be much worse fates, and in general the English electorate think she's quite impressive. But I can imagine a very painful period with many Scottish Labour members feeling we'd done a deal with Satan, unless there was an actual coupon deal delivering some Labour seats that the SNP didn't contest - and that in turn wouldn't fly with SNP members, who would already struggle with any deal short of independence. I can see a post-election deal, not a pre-election one.

That said, I don't think the "in Salmond's pocket" scare would work quite so well with Sturgeon and Corbyn. English voters find her less aggressive than Salmond, and being easily pushed into policies he doesn't believe in is famously not one of Corbyn's weaknesses.
    Salmond is now yesterdays man. While Sturgeon is the face of the SNP, it would be the Westminster contingent that would be the presence on a coalition.

Labour and LD objections to devomax (which in practice is what Scots seemed to vote for in the Sindyref) were because of their strong Westminster base in Scotland. For both parties that is not easily recoverable, so we are now in a period where there is a good opportunity for a lasting constitutional settlement. The SNP are not in a position to repeat the Sindyref easily, and also the oil price is a genuine issue, while the other parties are in a position to desire a long term solution. The planets are coming into line, Once the Brexit referendum is also history. We should at least try.

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited May 2016
    rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

So a fall in prices in London could happen where supply exceeds demand - and I gather it is happening.
  • Options

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

That celebrity threesome with Ed Balls isn't working out so well. Perhaps an injunction is required.
    Oh so that is who they are... sorry seems to be their hardest word.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

tlg86 said:

Oh?
    You have your BNP/EDL
    Yeah EDL not a nice bunch I grant you. The BNP is British though not English even if they wander round spouting drivel and hatred while waving the flag of St George.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Poor kids in Scotland do worse educationally than poor kids in evil Tory England because the SNP prefers to featherbed middle class kids with free University education......similarly the Scottish middle class enjoy free prescriptions, while their English compatriots pay for them.....

another looney toon who has obviously had brain addled living in tax exile and imagines delusionally that she knows anything about reality in Scotland.
    Malcolm, given you have grand children in the Scottish education system I would have hoped your views were better informed than you demonstrate. Unless of course they're fortunate to be being brought up in a better off family, in which case the free tuition (paid for by the poor) will no doubt be welcome.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jan/22/medical-school-students-wealthy-backgrounds?CMP=share_btn_tw

Among English students, 38% came from the most affluent 20% of postcodes, compared with 54% of those in Scotland, 55% from Wales and 51% in Northern Ireland. In England, 8.7% of medical students were from the poorest 20% by postcode, against 4.3% in Scotland, 6.5% in Wales and 3.2% in Northern Ireland.

Nonetheless, for someone who professes to love his country, this 'sauve qui peut' does you no credit....
    They are in a state school and receiving a very good education from what I can see. Maybe you know better from hundreds of miles away. The poor do not pay any tax and therefore do not pay for education. It is people like myself who fund the tuition , nothing is free. When you are living in Scotland and paying taxes, rather than being far away in tax exile , I may take your opinions on board. Whilst you get your information from right wing London papers I will stick to the reality on the ground.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I've been using the acronym WWC a lot recently, purely out of habit. I won't use it again as it excludes the hundreds of thousands of decent working class people that aren't white.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

knows anything about reality in Scotland.

Malky, for someone who claims to "know about reality in Scotland", you have been more reliably wrong about how Scotland will vote than almost any other poster on the site.

And very profitable it has been, too.

Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016
    Moses_ said:

taffys said:

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

A key problem for the housing market in the south and London in particular, is the effect of Osborne's stamp duty changes which for London properties hit them with tens of thousands of stamp duty and increases the incentive to stay and expand rather than trade up.
    It is worse the more expensive the property is and IMHO is clogging up the market. Add in the IHT change to "main property" which incentivises elderly marrieds with kids to stay put....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    The last thing - the very last thing - that the SNP wants is an end to Tory rule in Westminster. The only thing that comes close in terms of unattractiveness is a Remain vote on 23rd June.

The SNP is not a social democratic party, it one designed to secure Scottish independence. Not having the Tories in government makes that task much, much harder; as does the UK staying in the EU.
  • Options

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

Have they taken in their refugee family yet. I know Pixie said that she couldn't despite wanting to as she did not have the necessary social care training and skill set.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Moses_ said:

taffys said:

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

This only goes to show what Osborne thinks of householders - ie greedy people who don;t care about generation rent. I know I care.
    Me too, rents rise with house prices, Leave need to make a reasoned case for lower house prices. As does the Labour party but that's another story, they stopped worrying about their core vote years ago.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

knows anything about reality in Scotland.

Malky, for someone who claims to "know about reality in Scotland", you have been more reliably wrong about how Scotland will vote than almost any other poster on the site.

And very profitable it has been, too.

Keep up the good work.
    Enjoy your JSA

PS: unlike you I post my personal preferences , I do not parrot others opinions , Baaa Baaa Baaaa on
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2016

I've been using the acronym WWC a lot recently, purely out of habit. I won't use it again as it excludes the hundreds of thousands of decent working class people that aren't white.

I was thinking about this the other day.

The idea of WWC is generally driven by identity politics around culture and people crying race/religion, but there is no reason to think that BAMEWC are not subject to precisely the same concerns about housing, jobs, wages, pressures on services.

The changes to culture that some feel are just as acute as well, irrespective of race.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    Here on pb we like to poke fun at the Luuvies....in the future we might have to be careful, according to so Luuvies it is as bad as calling a jew a "y#d" or a black person the n word...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3601857/Luvvie-bad-N-word-claims-Tom-Conti-Actor-74-hits-Labour-councillor-uses-phrase-supermarket-row.html

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

Enjoy your JSA

Oh dear, Malky, it's my taxes that are paying for your prescriptions.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

Have they taken in their refugee family yet. I know Pixie said that she couldn't despite wanting to as she did not have the necessary social care training and skill set.
    Did she have the training to manage a govt department?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The poor do not pay any tax and therefore do not pay for education...... Whilst you get your information from right wing London papers I will stick to the reality on the ground.
    1. The poor may not pay income tax - but they do rely disproportionately on council services which the SNP has cut, is cutting and will continue to cut. So yes, the poor are 'paying'.

2. The 'right wing London newspaper' is the Guardian and it was reporting a study co-authored by Dundee University....
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

Bunch of lying , grasping toerags
  • Options

I always use wc for that reason but it does have another meaning.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

Did she have the training to manage a govt department?
    Couldn't run a bath
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I could see Corbyn coming to an agreement in advance of a GE on a common platform for government. If it is explicit in advance a lot of the fears are neutralised.
    I'd be up for that - if Nicola would guarantee to put independence on ice for the period in return for plenty of devolution, I think there'dwith Satan, unless there was an actual coupon deal delivering some Labour seats that the SNP didn't contest - and that in turn wouldn't fly with SNP members, who would already struggle with any deal short of independence. I can see a post-election deal, not a pre-election one.

That said, I don't think the "in Salmond's pocket" scare would work quite so well with Sturgeon and Corbyn. English voters find her less aggressive than Salmond, and being easily pushed into policies he doesn't believe in is famously not one of Corbyn's weaknesses.
    Salmond is now yesterdays man. While Sturgeon is the face of the SNP, it would be the Westminster contingent that would be the presence on a coalition.

Labour and LD objections to devomax (which in practice is what Scots seemed to vote for in the Sindyref) were because of their strong Westminster base in Scotland. For both parties that is not easily recoverable, so we are now in a period where there is a good opportunity for a lasting constitutional settlement. The SNP are not in a position to repeat the Sindyref easily, and also the oil price is a genuine issue, while the other parties are in a position to desire a long term solution. The planets are coming into line, Once the Brexit referendum is also history. We should at least try.

The constitution is a party political toy in the UK. It's clear that we need a constitutional convention, but it isn't going to happen.

• Options
    edited May 2016

malcolmg said:

Interesting figures. I suspect from doing medical school applications that the difference in applications by postcode is mostly a reflection of ethnicity differences between the four nations. Migrant communities do tend to prize educational achievement, and parents are often well educated even when not in professional jobs themselves. I suspect the same goes for other university places.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Enjoy your JSA

Oh dear, Malky, it's my taxes that are paying for your prescriptions.

You're welcome.
    You halfwit , no-one in their right mind would employ you. Your two quid will do little to help anyone.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, quite. Labour buggered things up with self-serving (in their hopes) devolution and buggering up the Lords, whilst the Conservatives have continued flinging powers at devolved bodies and setting up mayors.

An English Parliament is necessary, but it won't happen because the left want to carve England up into little fiefdoms and the right don't want to emasculate Westminster.

Mr. Urquhart, a man called Conti should perhaps be more careful about asking for a new nickname :p
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

How about WP - Working Poor?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,118

tlg86 said:

I'd be up for that - if Nicola would guarantee to put independence on ice for the period in return for plenty of devolution, I think there'dwith Satan, unless there was an actual coupon deal delivering some Labour seats that the SNP didn't contest - and that in turn wouldn't fly with SNP members, who would already struggle with any deal short of independence. I can see a post-election deal, not a pre-election one.

The constitution is a party political toy in the UK. It's clear that we need a constitutional convention, but it isn't going to happen.

One of Ed M's better ideas
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Interesting figures. I suspect from doing medical school applications that the difference in applications by postcode is mostly a reflection of ethnicity differences between the four nations. Migrant communities do tend to prize educational achievement, and parents are often well educated even when not in professional jobs themselves. I suspect the same goes for other university places.
    That is one factor:

They also suspected that England’s relatively broader cross-section could be linked to higher levels of immigration: families that have relatively recently arrived in the UK may be more likely to live in poorer neighbourhoods, with less prestigious jobs, but have high aspirations for their children.

But there are others:

In Scotland, where private schooling is far more prevalent for the middle classes in several areas, particularly Edinburgh, 35% of medical students came from fee-paying schools against a UK average of 27%.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, quite. Labour buggered things up with self-serving (in their hopes) devolution and buggering up the Lords, whilst the Conservatives have continued flinging powers at devolved bodies and setting up mayors.

An English Parliament is necessary, but it won't happen because the left want to carve England up into little fiefdoms and the right don't want to emasculate Westminster.

Mr. Urquhart, a man called Conti should perhaps be more careful about asking for a new nickname :p

MD we already have a de facto English parliament in Westminster, over 80% of the vote. What more could you possibly want, you cannot get blood out of a stone. We have no more to give you.
  • Options

Many of the working poor are immigrants. For all its imprecision WWC is a distinct demographic in Britain, though like any demographic rather blurry around the edges as people are multi faceted.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

taffys said:

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

A key problem for the housing market in the south and London in particular, is the effect of Osborne's stamp duty changes which for London properties hit them with tens of thousands of stamp duty and increases the incentive to stay and expand rather than trade up.
    It is worse the more expensive the property is and IMHO is clogging up the market. Add in the IHT change to "main property" which incentivises elderly marrieds with kids to stay put....
    Yes good point. I am in the Shires and extending seems to be the preferred method at the moment. The cost of extension being a large chunk of the costs of stamp, estate agent and also legal fees for moving but without much of the streets and upheaval, though extensions can also bring the latter as many know.

This, combined with the large deposits for purchase now required and the above is choking the market somewhat and indirectly forcing prices upwards. Of course extending your house also moves a property upwards in price while exacerbating the problem of shortages of what were previously, affordable smaller homes for new or secondary purchasers. Of course that value increase has a limit to the area the house is situated which some do not understand. Any gains they thought they would make can be quickly lost based on average sales of properties in the locality. When secondary loans for these extensions (on top of the original mortgage) are taken into account these make the situation more precarious.

Then throw in an interest rate rise on top and disaster beckons.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Interesting figures. I suspect from doing medical school applications that the difference in
    That is one factor:

They also suspected that England’s relatively broader cross-section could be linked to higher levels of immigration: families that have relatively recently arrived in the UK may be more likely to live in poorer neighbourhoods, with less prestigious jobs, but have high aspirations for their children.

But there are others:

In Scotland, where private schooling is far more prevalent for the middle classes in several areas, particularly Edinburgh, 35% of medical students came from fee-paying schools against a UK average of 27%.
    When talking about minorities at medical school admissions panels, I do like to advocate positive discrimination for white males from non selective state schools (like myself). We are about 40% of the population and 15% of medical school intake.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I was thinking about this the other day.

The idea of WWC is generally driven by identity politics around culture and people crying race/religion, but there is no reason to think that BAMEWC are not subject to precisely the same concerns about housing, jobs, wages, pressures on services.

The changes to culture that some feel are just as acute as well, irrespective of race.
    Quite, I regret using it and wonder why it hadn't dawned before. As you say, colour doesn't stop you from worrying about affording a family home, getting the kids a decent school and dentist and hoping you've got a job.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Interesting figures. I suspect from doing medical school applications that the difference in
    That is one factor:

But there are others:

When talking about minorities at medical school admissions panels, I do like to advocate positive discrimination for white males from non selective state schools (like myself). We are about 40% of the population and 15% of medical school intake.
    How does that go down?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

That is one factor:

But there are others:

English fee paying schools no doubt given how small private school sector is in Scotland. So in fact your are railing against Scottish poor paying for rich English students getting free education at their expense , Doh!!!
  • Options

Many of the working poor are immigrants. For all its imprecision WWC is a distinct demographic in Britain, though like any demographic rather blurry around the edges as people are multi faceted.
    I thought given what is written on here that they were all generating oodles of wealth, how can they be poor.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

taffys said:

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

Yes good point. I am in the Shires and extending seems to be the preferred method at the moment. The cost of extension being a large chunk of the costs of stamp, estate agent and also legal fees for moving but without much of the streets and upheaval, though extensions can also bring the latter as many know.

This, combined with the large deposits for purchase now required and the above is choking the market somewhat and indirectly forcing prices upwards. Of course extending your house also moves a property upwards in price while exacerbating the problem of shortages of what were previously, affordable smaller homes for new or secondary purchasers. Of course that value increase has a limit to the area the house is situated which some do not understand. Any gains they thought they would make can be quickly lost based on average sales of properties in the locality. When secondary loans for these extensions (on top of the original mortgage) are taken into account these make the situation more precarious.

I knew you had to be a hobbit.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    malcolmg said:

MD we already have a de facto English parliament in Westminster, over 80% of the vote. What more could you possibly want, you cannot get blood out of a stone. We have no more to give you.
    It's come to a pretty pass when the world renowned generosity of Scots has reached the end of its tether. A truly shocking turn of events.
  • Options
    Mr. G, it's not an English Parliament.

And I'm not asking Scotland to cede anything, only for England to have that which Scotland already possesses.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    It's been a good week for those of a Trotskyite tendency on the BBC. First Paul Mason on Question Time and then Dave Nellist on Any Questions last night (and again this lunchtime).
  • Options

malcolmg said:

That is one factor:

But there are others:

Very laudable . Basically though that seems still to infer that your chances in life are still based on not how able you are for the specific position but what school you attended?
  • Options

Mr. G, it's not an English Parliament.

And I'm not asking Scotland to cede anything, only for England to have that which Scotland already possesses.

It most certainly is MD, anything that has over 80% owned is a dictatorship, it cannot be otherwise.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Oh I am sure you do.......The English haven't got to the "squeaky pips" scenario yet.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

That is one factor:

But there are others:

There is no such thing as positive discrimination, every time you discriminate FOR something you discriminate AGAINST something
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    PB has discussed the super injunction enough, directly and indirectly. So it is now off limits. The spam trap has been updated, and anyone unable to adhere to the rules will find their ability to post instantly will be removed.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

when not in professional jobs themselves. I suspect the same goes for other university places.
    That is one factor:

But there are others:

English fee paying schools no doubt given how small private school sector is in Scotland. So in fact your are railing against Scottish poor paying for rich English students getting free education at their expense , Doh!!!
    The Scottish Independent Sector is smaller (4.3%) than the English (7.2%) - hence its even more scandalous that they are disproportionately filling medical degree places.

And on what planet does a Private Scottish School in Edinburgh educating Scottish children become 'English', with English students?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

It's been a good week for those of a Trotskyite tendency on the BBC. First Paul Mason on Question Time and then Dave Nellist on Any Questions last night (and again this lunchtime).

Blimey is Dave Nellist still around? What was his view on the EU?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    malcolmg said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

taffys said:

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

I knew you had to be a hobbit.
    Indeed :smiley:

As any fule no.....

"Hobbits are usually shy, but are nevertheless capable of great courage and amazing feats under the proper circumstances".

We also live in holes in the ground which is fortunate given that Brexit will apparently result in nuclear Armageddon.
  • Options
    Mr. G, that's as silly as Londoners claiming they're living in a dictatorship.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
  • Options

Mr. G, that's as silly as Londoners claiming they're living in a dictatorship.

Or Brexiteers.
  • Options
    Very foolish poster.
    The people would love to see Boris replace Cameron.
  • Options
    Norm said:

He must be Leave, surely.

• Options
    This is the Labour leadership fighting the Tories under the cover of the referendum.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Rain...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    MikeK said:

Me and Taki are in agreement:
    https://twitter.com/spectator/status/

Always good when one finds oneself in agreement with a racist, cocaine-addled fascist sympathiser.
  • Options
    Wonder whether we'll have any #EURef polls in the Sunday's?
  • Options
    One unemployed/job seeking poor teenage immigrant Trump does not want to talk about - his mother:

http://www.thenational.scot/news/the-mysterious-mary-trump-the-full-untold-story-of-how-a-young-scotswoman-escaped-to-new-york-and-raised-a-us-presidential-candidate.17824

Strange, because it has 'American Dream' written all over it.....
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Norm said:

He must be Leave, surely.

I was wondering if it was a Paul Mason style "leave" ie yes in principle but not now or whether he has the sense to realise despite talk of second referendums this may be our last realistic chance of an exit barring some calamity befalling the EU.
  • Options

One unemployed/job seeking poor teenage immigrant Trump does not want to talk about - his mother:

http://www.thenational.scot/news/the-mysterious-mary-trump-the-full-untold-story-of-how-a-young-scotswoman-escaped-to-new-york-and-raised-a-us-presidential-candidate.17824

The Donald inherited his mother's hair.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233

O/T

"The favourite to end up in the last two with a Brexiter if there is an early leadership contest is Theresa May, described by one who knows her well as “cold, unfriendly, charmless, not as clever as she thinks she is, lacking imagination, unable to think outside the railway lines and intellectually dishonest”. However, he said that were the choice to be between her and Johnson, “I would, of course, vote for her.”"

quite interesting article here:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/05/tory-civil-war

Osborne, Boris and May all have a lot of MPs who are strongly opposed to their becoming leader. It's a taylor-made opportunity for a bland man in a grey suit.
    Philip Hammond!
  • Options
    Mr. Norm, Mason's a bloody fool. Dislikes the EU. Wants to leave. Won't vote to leave because he prefers an absence of democracy to Parliamentary democracy [because the electorate prefer the Conservatives to the left].
  • Options

Very foolish poster.
    Leave could do a similar one with Osborne instead of BoJo.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

The Donald inherited his mother's hair.
    Literally, by the looks of it.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Foxinsox wrote:

"When talking about minorities at medical school admissions panels, I do like to advocate positive discrimination for white males from non selective state schools (like myself). We are about 40% of the population and 15% of medical school intake. "

If your medical school admissions panel has listened to you, then they are in trouble.

Positive discrimination is actually illegal in the UK.

The only thing that is legally permitted (since 2011) is positive action -- given two equally matched candidates, it is permissible to give a job or a medical school place to the more highly disadvantaged.
  • Options

Very foolish poster.
    Leave could do a similar one with Osborne instead of BoJo.
    That'd be more effective given the polling :smiley:
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    HYUFD said:

O/T

"The favourite to end up in the last two with a Brexiter if there is an early leadership contest is Theresa May, described by one who knows her well as “cold, unfriendly, charmless, not as clever as she thinks she is, lacking imagination, unable to think outside the railway lines and intellectually dishonest”. However, he said that were the choice to be between her and Johnson, “I would, of course, vote for her.”"

quite interesting article here:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/05/tory-civil-war

Osborne, Boris and May all have a lot of MPs who are strongly opposed to their becoming leader. It's a taylor-made opportunity for a bland man in a grey suit.
    Philip Hammond!
    I didn't say that; I said that it was unlikely that rates would go up to a level that caused severe distress precisely because of that fact. I didn't say rates wouldn't rise!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Foxinsox wrote:

"When talking about minorities at medical school admissions panels, I do like to advocate positive discrimination for white males from non selective state schools (like myself). We are about 40% of the population and 15% of medical school intake. "

If your medical school admissions panel has listened to you, then they are in trouble.

The only thing that is legally permitted (since 2011) is positive action -- given two equally matched candidates, it is permissible to give a job or a medical school place to the more highly disadvantaged.

Has anyone told Sadiq Khan?
  • Options
    The man who headed up the team that ran the very accurate exit polling at GE 2015 speaks.

"So, given that it is not clear that the interventions by Mr Carney and Ms Lagarde have made much, if any difference, what does the pattern of change look like if we take into account all of the polls published this week irrespective of when they were conducted – and compare them consistently with that they were saying a month ago. The answer is to be found in the bottom right hand corner of our table. On average the change in the level of support for Remain is zero!"

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/time-for-a-cool-head-and-an-open-mind/

Put this comment with the "leak" from C4 of the 20,000+ BES study from the start of May that LEAVE were a tiny 0.5% ahead of REMAIN and .......... Is Professor Curtis giving us a pointer that the start of MAY BES survey maybe the best guide?
  • Options

MikeK said:

Me and Taki are in agreement:
    https://twitter.com/spectator/status/

Always good when one finds oneself in agreement with a racist, cocaine-addled fascist sympathiser.
    Do me a favour. Put your cloth cap on and an get back down the mine.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/733803565060345856

Even funnier 'cos you can imagine Monty being absolutely ragin' but unable to say anything.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

The man who headed up the team that ran the very accurate exit polling at GE 2015 speaks.

"So, given that it is not clear that the interventions by Mr Carney and Ms Lagarde have made much, if any difference, what does the pattern of change look like if we take into account all of the polls published this week irrespective of when they were conducted – and compare them consistently with that they were saying a month ago. The answer is to be found in the bottom right hand corner of our table. On average the change in the level of support for Remain is zero!"

Put this comment with the "leak" from C4 of the 20,000+ BES study from the start of May that LEAVE were a tiny 0.5% ahead of REMAIN and .......... Is Professor Curtis giving us a pointer that the start of MAY BES survey maybe the best guide?

We might as well say that the immigration stats had no effect either.
  • Options

We might as well say that the immigration stats had no effect either.
    Which got more media time? My guess would be the economy in the broadcast media.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Mr. Norm, Mason's a bloody fool. Dislikes the EU. Wants to leave. Won't vote to leave because he prefers an absence of democracy to Parliamentary democracy [because the electorate prefer the Conservatives to the left].

Totally agree.
    It is hard to understand that the Official Labour Party are trying to bounce all their supporters into the remain camp, there are many unrepresented Labour supporters who deserve a high profile spokesperson to be on the leave side, to give balance and assistance to the undecided.
    At least in 1975 Labour had these type of people from the cabinet .
    It is hard to believe not one high profile shadow cabinet member is not fully in the remain camp.
    If Labour are not in this debate, it is a tragedy that Cameron and Gove are not able to go head to head.
    If it is such an important decision , partisan reasons should not stop this .
    Whatever the outcome Gove comes out of this with his reputation enhanced, for the rest of the political elite , in my opinion there is derision how they have treated this referendum.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Foxinsox wrote:

So basically you discriminate against the other based on that candidates parents choice of schools.

SO was right up thread its still discriminatory. I much preferred Thatchers assisted places scheme even if that could be described as discriminatory in itself. It was at least based in some way on personal ability and targeted directly the very people Fox is mentioning.
  • Options

Very interesting, even allowing for the fact that OGH is implacably opposed to the very idea of averaging polls.
This discussion has been closed.