Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump remains the value bet for the Presidency

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    Apols if posted before - but this from Keiran Pedley of OGH Podcasts struck me as very interesting - and a view of life beyond Brexitgeddon and Conpocalypse....

There are two main implications for the new electoral reality that Labour faces. One, it must win more support in England to compensate for that lost in Scotland. Two, it must sell the prospect of a Labour government supported by the SNP as acceptable to English voters.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/05/govern-again-labour-must-do-deal-snp-and-focus-england

One part of his analysis did strike me as unlikely in the short term:

A deal might include an SNP commitment to support a Labour administration’s Queen Speech and Budget and not to vote on ‘English only’ issues in exchange for further powers for Scotland such as full fiscal autonomy.

I very much doubt Nicola wants to go anywhere near full fiscal autonomy until there is a substantial, sustained recovery in the oil price....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Mr. W, you may disparage the morris, but all who see the magnificence of a dancer's wiffle stick is entranced by its mesmeric power.

Sound more like an audition for a p*rn channel !! .... :astonished:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585

O/T

"The favourite to end up in the last two with a Brexiter if there is an early leadership contest is Theresa May, described by one who knows her well as “cold, unfriendly, charmless, not as clever as she thinks she is, lacking imagination, unable to think outside the railway lines and intellectually dishonest”. However, he said that were the choice to be between her and Johnson, “I would, of course, vote for her.”"

quite interesting article here:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/05/tory-civil-war

Osborne, Boris and May all have a lot of MPs who are strongly opposed to their becoming leader. It's a taylor-made opportunity for a bland man in a grey suit.
    I wonder if Priti Patel is worth considering, ticks lots of boxes and seems relatively unscarred by the referendum opprobrium so far. I've no idea how the tory party operates but she's the type that would tempt me back rather than a grey man.
    Unsurprisingly, I agree.
    I went to see her at a Vote.Leave event this week.

She performed reasonably well, but little real star quality. I cannot see her making the final two.
    Priti Patel? Next leader? 18-1 on BF if you really think this.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    Moses_ said:

eek said:

House prices down by 20% if we leave the EU - bring it on.

House prices actually need to fall by something like 75% in London and the south of England. They are absolutely insane and barely now affordable at 0% interest.

Imagine what will happen next time interest rates reach 15%

Imagine what will happen next time interest rates hit 4%. That by itself would double most monthly repayments...
    I mentioned last night on this thread that it has been highlighted already in the media many newer mortgage holders ( and even medium term holders) had not factored in a rise in interest rates. Both had become used to the very low rates and medium term holders had allocated the savings elsewhere etc.
    1% rise would cause difficulties for quite a few 2% would result in many foreclosures. It's something that should be of serious concern yet is rarely mentioned or guarded against particularly by the mortgage holders themselves.
    Although that's one reason why interest rates won't rise all that far, all that quickly.

As an aside, I don't think rates rising to 4% would double repayments. If my back-of-an-envelope maths are right then they'd increase them by about half. A £100k C&I mortgage at 2.5% is a repayment of about £450/mth; at 6.5% (which is probably a bit high for a 4% base rate but run with it), that's be a £675/mth repayment. A bigger factor is perhaps how much more slowly the mortgage would be paid off. At 2.5%, 15% is paid off after five years; at 6.5%, only 10% is.
  • Options
    Daily Mail headline of the week:

"One-legged Albanian murderer who posed as a Kosovan refugee to gain UK citizenship and got a four-bed house and £2k-a-month benefits while dealing cocaine wins legal aid to fight to stay here... Is this proof Britain has lost its marbles?"

A fine example of the genre.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3601689/Albanian-murderer-posed-Kosovan-refugee-gain-UK-citizenship-got-four-bed-house-benefits-dealing-cocaine-wins-legal-aid-fight-stay-proof-Britain-lost-marbles.html#ixzz49H3qXiF3
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    eek said:

House prices actually need to fall by something like 75% in London and the south of England. They are absolutely insane and barely now affordable at 0% interest.

Imagine what will happen next time interest rates hit 4%. That by itself would double most monthly repayments...
    House prices are already falling in most places and predicted to fall further by some.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/commercial/house-prices-fall-almost-everywhere-as-property-market-takes-on/
    http://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/britains-house-price-crash-2016-predictions-mount/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. W, not all of us have such sordid minds as you. There's nothing wrong with waving one's wiffle stick around to delight the watching crowds.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    alex. said:

I would think that possibly as many as 50% of people who think they know the details of court injunctions, don't.

This one has been particularly ineffectual.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

Apols if posted before - but this from Keiran Pedley of OGH Podcasts struck me as very interesting - and a view of life beyond Brexitgeddon and Conpocalypse....

There are two main implications for the new electoral reality that Labour faces. One, it must win more support in England to compensate for that lost in Scotland. Two, it must sell the prospect of a Labour government supported by the SNP as acceptable to English voters.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/05/govern-again-labour-must-do-deal-snp-and-focus-england

A deal might include an SNP commitment to support a Labour administration’s Queen Speech and Budget and not to vote on ‘English only’ issues in exchange for further powers for Scotland such as full fiscal autonomy.

I very much doubt Nicola wants to go anywhere near full fiscal autonomy until there is a substantial, sustained recovery in the oil price....

Interesting article, thanks.

The SNP issue is going to be a big problem for Labour England for the foreseeable future, there will be ads next time with Sturgeon in Corbyn's pocket too. The English are never going to accept people who want to break up the country anywhere near government.
  • Options

The problem is that the two are mutually exclusive.

Once it became obvious that Labour would not be able to get a majority to govern on their own without SNP support they were toast and people in England voted Tory in large numbers to keep them out, with Libdems and UKIP as collateral damage.

The Torys campaign was negative but short of Hitler himself they couldn't have asked for a better bogeyman. Remain are trying to repeat this but this time they are floundering because they are trying to defend the bogeyman.

This Tory advert sums up why they got their extraordinary win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JeYlBRvUeE
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

eek said:

House prices are already falling in most places and predicted to fall further by some.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/commercial/house-prices-fall-almost-everywhere-as-property-market-takes-on/
    http://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/britains-house-price-crash-2016-predictions-mount/
    It takes a heart of stone:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3601681/The-great-celebrity-house-price-slump-Suddenly-stars-t-shift-mansions-no-matter-millions-lop-price-Hankies-out.html

The ripple effect will spread through the market in time, Brexit or not.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Believe it or not, women can also look quite good in lace.

They can look mighty fine in leather or PVC too :-)

Young women in military uniforms are especially striking.
  • Options

Mr. W, not all of us have such sordid minds as you. There's nothing wrong with waving one's wiffle stick around to delight the watching crowds.

I'm advised in Essex and the raunchier parts of Hersham they refer to such activities as mega-dogging.
  • Options
    RobD said:

alex. said:

I would think that possibly as many as 50% of people who think they know the details of court injunctions, don't.

The Streisand effect will always kick in.
    Still, at least the lawyers will be earning handsomely.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Sean_F said:

The PVC Burka Brigade Marching Band parading through Luton has clearly struck a chord with you
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited May 2016
    JackW said:

I'm advised in Essex and the raunchier parts of Hersham they refer to such activities as mega-dogging.
    Mr Jack, have you ever considered getting an injunction to stop us talking about what goes on after dark in the depths of your "dungeon"? :smiley:
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Sean_F said:

You saw the comments re Liz Kendall in military fatigues.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited May 2016

Once it became obvious that Labour would not be able to get a majority to govern on their own without SNP support they were toast and people in England voted Tory in large numbers to keep them out, with Libdems and UKIP as collateral damage.

The Torys campaign was negative but short of Hitler himself they couldn't have asked for a better bogeyman. Remain are trying to repeat this but this time they are floundering because they are trying to defend the bogeyman.

If that logic held good last time, it'll hold good next time. And the time after that. And...

So why are we bothering with all the expense & trouble of General Elections?

Because there's a flaw in your argument, Paul. It's true that the Scots (and indeed all Celts) hate the English, but the English can't be bothered to hate the Celts. We can occasionally be bothered to despise them, but those occasions tend to occur in seats that are massively Tory anyway.

• Options
    edited May 2016

LEAVE could turn that around and have Cameron dancing to Frau Merkels tune? ;)
  • Options

I am not so sure. As the sindyref ardour cools, and with no second referendum in the offing, I can see that the social democracy of the SNP being seen in a fairly positive light in England. Indeed the situation may well reverse and Nicola seen by centrist voters in England as a restraining influence on the corbynistas.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Mr Jack, have you ever considered getting an injunction to stop us talking about what goes on after dark in the depths of your "dungeon"? :smiley:

Certainly not.

The publicity has tourists of a certain bent flocking to the county, although we could do without all the English wiffle stick element - All bells and no brass .. :smile:

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

Sean_F said:

I missed those, but Liz did look darn hot dressed like that from the pic I saw on Twitter.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

RobD said:

alex. said:

Given that everyone already knows who's being talked about, prolonging the case now is just paying the mortgages and the school fees of the lawyers. The only reason they could be doing it is to have the Supreme Court make a ruling that amounts to a privacy law, which would most likely be overturned by Parliament anyway.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Indeed and just for you Mr Morris this is our local celebration at Laxton Castle on May 1st welcoming the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQHa8ZHOTA
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Sean_F said:

*cough*
    http://royalounge.com/most-attractive-female-soldiers-in-the-world/5/
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154

eek said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3601681/The-great-celebrity-house-price-slump-Suddenly-stars-t-shift-mansions-no-matter-millions-lop-price-Hankies-out.html

Osborne will throw everything the Treasury has to keep house prices rising.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Sean_F said:

This one? :smile:

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-05/19/13/enhanced/buzzfeed-prod-web10/enhanced-buzz-12657-1463677761-7.jpg
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

Given that everyone already knows who's being talked about, prolonging the case now is just paying the mortgages and the school fees of the lawyers. The only reason they could be doing it is to have the Supreme Court make a ruling that amounts to a privacy law, which would most likely be overturned by Parliament anyway.
    Indeed. If they had not gone the injunction route, I'm sure most of us would have forgotten all about it by now.
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Certainly not.

The publicity has tourists of a certain bent flocking to the county, although we could do without all the English wiffle stick element - All bells and no brass .. :smile:

Good man! :smiley:
  • Options

eek said:

Osborne will throw everything the Treasury has to keep house prices rising.
    He may not be around much longer.
  • Options

Indeed and just for you Mr Morris this is our local celebration at Laxton Castle on May 1st welcoming the summer.

Well that's pretty cringeworthy... ;)
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

I am not so sure. As the sindyref ardour cools, and with no second referendum in the offing, I can see that the social democracy of the SNP being seen in a fairly positive light in England. Indeed the situation may well reverse and Nicola seen by centrist voters in England as a restraining influence on the corbynistas.
    I think you are being optimistic.

British people don't like parties with national in their title. It implies that the party hates someone; in this case, the English.

As someone in Nuneaton put it, the Scots get free prescriptions, free tuition and now they want more.
    It is this screw-the-English attitude that renders the SNP forever toxic to English voters.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    edited May 2016
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

fpt fpr HYUFD

You wanna bet?

They said the same about Hackney, Brixton, Peckham and even Notting Hill (a long time back).

The seedy southcoast is now seeing the natural ripple effect out from London. Also these old towns like Hastings are full of very desirable period properties.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41716752.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56366990.html

Look at those prices. I bet they've doubled since 2000.

https://resources.propertypartner.co/the-investment-case-for-hastings/

*and now I am going to drink wine. Anon*

Hackney, Brixton, Peckham and Notting Hill are all in London and near the centre of arguably the greatest city on earth. Hastings is at the bottom end of East Sussex and the poor relation of Brighton, I expect even Blackpool has a few period properties some may like but that does not comprise the majority of the housing, the average house price in Hastings is £193,817, ie at or slightly below the national average, nowhere near London prices
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/Hastings.html
    Sean and HYUFD: I have no idea what the conversation was that led to this exchange, but can I butt into your conversation with the tangential observation that the inner Manchester district of Ancoats is now seeing property prices per square foot equivalent to those in Castlefield, with three-bedroomed properties selling for in excess of £400,000. Not much in London terms, but absolutely staggering for anyone with any memory of Manchester prior to 1996. This was one of the districts that inspired Engels to his views and has been horrible - basically falling down - since at least WW2. Yet as a result of a ripple-out from the Northern Quarter it is suddenly very desirable and seeing vast amounts of development. I went for a walk through it the other day. It's lovely. Quirky, historic, modern, fun, lively without being shouty. Admittedly it was a glorious sunny day; it may be different in the drizzle.

I know this may be nothing to do with what you are talking about and I don't know whose views these support. But as a 41-yearold Mancunian I remain astonished and delighted by it all.

Almost unbelievably, some think the same may happen next to Collyhurst.
    I remember the late Terence Donovan saying he'd been offered 10 terraced houses in Salford for £50 each.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

dr_spyn said:

Sean_F said:

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-05/19/13/enhanced/buzzfeed-prod-web10/enhanced-buzz-12657-1463677761-7.jpg
    She never seems very well dressed. Always a bit too matronly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    MikeK said:

Looking in on Dragonmount I found this:

Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet 

So, all Fantasy lovers WOT will probably be appearing in a few years. LOL :D

Awesome. Game of thrones will be finished on to by them, good timing if people can transition to what us quite a different style.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

British people don't like parties with national in their title. It implies that the party hates someone; in this case, the English.

As someone in Nuneaton put it, the Scots get free prescriptions, free tuition and now they want more.
    It is this screw-the-English attitude that renders the SNP forever toxic to English voters.

Morning Blige! :smiley:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Exactly.

As long as the SNP "social democratic" policies are funded entirely by English taxpayers, there can be no accommodation that helps Labour
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

"One-legged Albanian murderer who posed as a Kosovan refugee to gain UK citizenship and got a four-bed house and £2k-a-month benefits while dealing cocaine wins legal aid to fight to stay here... Is this proof Britain has lost its marbles?"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3601689/Albanian-murderer-posed-Kosovan-refugee-gain-UK-citizenship-got-four-bed-house-benefits-dealing-cocaine-wins-legal-aid-fight-stay-proof-Britain-lost-marbles.html#ixzz49H3qXiF3

Couldn't they at least have shortened the url!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    edited May 2016
    Sandpit said:

The SNP issue is going to be a big problem for Labour England for the foreseeable future, there will be ads next time with Sturgeon in Corbyn's pocket too. The English are never going to accept people who want to break up the country anywhere near government.
    The SNP want to break up England?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet 

Awesome. Game of thrones will be finished on to by them, good timing if people can transition to what us quite a different style.
    Personally I am much more excited about the AMC adaptation of 'Preacher' which starts at the end of this month. Mind you it is probably the one graphic novel that, if done properly, will cause more controversy than anything around at the moment.
  • Options
    I've just come across a new term in relation to workforce content. BAEM . Apparently plod does not have enough BAEM.

No me neither......

Black, Asian & Ethnic Minority .....apparently?

* Note to self " must try to keep up"

http://news.sky.com/video/1699772/calls-to-increase-baem-officers
  • Options

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

Indeed. If they had not gone the injunction route, I'm sure most of us would have forgotten all about it by now.
    It's not as if the story is especially interesting.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

I think if we had ended up with Labour being propped up by the SNP I doubt there would have been any shameless pork given to Scotland (well, no more than has happened in the past!). The problem is that the SNP is seen by the English as the Scottish Party rather than the social democrat party in Scotland. Until the English think that SNP can be trusted not to put the needs of Dundee ahead of those of Derby, I think Labour will have a big problem.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Wheel of Time must easily be the most successful series of books not to have been adapted yet for film or TV. The series has sold something like 90m copies.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Couldn't they at least have shortened the url!
    Haven't you missed the word "six" off the front of that?

• Options
    edited May 2016

Quite a lot of Scottish people do, or are they to be banished from the vast benison of being called 'British'?
  • Options

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Personally I am much more excited about the AMC adaptation of 'Preacher' which starts at the end of this month. Mind you it is probably the one graphic novel that, if done properly, will cause more controversy than anything around at the moment.
    When is HBO going to get a grip and do the Thomas Covenant novels?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Economics201: Explain (Again) Why Lower House Prices Are A Good Thing

Q: Is it good to have a Chancellor who hasn't a clue (and is plain daft on this issue)?

Lower hose prices are a good thing.

But massively lower house prices are a bad thing, because that would reduce labour market mobility (those with negative equity cannot easily move), and likely precipitate another banking crisis.
    They are if you are wealthy.

A massive house price crash would represent a vast redistrubution of wealth from the top 20% of society to the other 80%

Since high house prices mean that it costs more to get a larger house even if your house is worth more and moving cost lump sums increase drastically due to stamp duty and % charges by estate agents etc. there are only four real beneficiaries.

1) Already well off people who's parents die inherit more.

2) Banks who earn vast amounts of interest and commission

3) Eatate agents

4)) Gideon who rakes in more stamp duty and VAT on all the moving fees and saves a fortune on care home fees because higher house prices mean you can last longer dribbling in your venture capitalist owned concentration camp care home before your assets are exhausted and he has to pay.

Any of that suffering are likely to be welcomed by the WWC.

Hence it is a typical scenario where the elite are aghast at the prospect and think it is a good shroud to wave whereas ordinary people like me think, bring it on, it dosen't matter what my house is worth I will never see the money and if prices crash my kids might actually be able to buy something nearby without being tied to a vast debt their whole lives.

One of the more revolting sights in this referendum is the elite being so in favour of mass immigration because of cheap labour, but also because it drives property prices up. With this callous attitude to ordinary people, is it any wonder those adversely affected will give the elite the two-fingered salute.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I can see that the social democracy of the SNP

What Social Democracy of the SNP?

Poor kids in Scotland do worse educationally than poor kids in evil Tory England because the SNP prefers to featherbed middle class kids with free University education......similarly the Scottish middle class enjoy free prescriptions, while their English compatriots pay for them.....

In England 'SNP Social Democracy' might be better described as 'Tory'.....
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Do you have any recommendations for the summer series? I can't believe Wayward Pines and Zoo have been renewed.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

I wonder if the injunction would have been lifted if they'd come out as confirmed Brexiters?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Moses_ said:

I've just come across a new term in relation to workforce content. BAEM . Apparently plod does not have enough BAEM.

No me neither......

BAME = British and Minority Ethnic is the usual term, although "minority ethnic" always did sound weird (maybe it was chosen for the acronym?)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I think if we had ended up with Labour being propped up by the SNP I doubt there would have been any shameless pork given to Scotland (well, no more than has happened in the past!). The problem is that the SNP is seen by the English as the Scottish Party rather than the social democrat party in Scotland. Until the English think that SNP can be trusted not to put the needs of Dundee ahead of those of Derby, I think Labour will have a big problem.
    4 years is a long time in politics.

I could see Corbyn coming to an agreement in advance of a GE on a common platform for government. If it is explicit in advance a lot of the fears are neutralised.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Moses_ said:

No me neither......

I have seen it as BAME many times (I work in NHS) but not BAEM
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

Why would Parliament overturn a privacy law? The'd love it: no more headlines about expenses and affairs -- and the court will have saved our elected representatives the embarrassment of voting for it themselves.
  • Options

Quite a lot of Scottish people do, or are they to be banished from the vast benison of being called 'British'?
    They self-exclude.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    tlg86 said:

People can't figure out why they have their own full Parliament subsidised by the English and yet they also have MPs sitting at Westminster voting on the daily lives of Mrs Scoggins of No2, Railway Sidings, Middle Fartingbridge.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

Do you have any recommendations for the summer series? I can't believe Wayward Pines and Zoo have been renewed.
    Preacher. Starts on Amazon Prime on 23rd I believe
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218
    GIN1138 said:

Well that's pretty cringeworthy... ;)
    You understate the cringeness :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    edited May 2016

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

I confess I've fallen behind in my tv watching for the most part. I enjoyed the first season of 12 monkeys, I think the second of that is airing. Dark matter was mediocre sci fi with potential, I'm hoping that improves and should be coming u.

• Options

kle4 said:

MikeK said:

When is HBO going to get a grip and do the Thomas Covenant novels?
    That would be great. I am also hoping that Netflix might bite the bullet and pick up a Dredd series as that has been strongly hinted at recently
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I could see Corbyn coming to an agreement in advance of a GE on a common platform for government. If it is explicit in advance a lot of the fears are neutralised.
    Only if Nicola ran for Westminster and then became PM with Corbyn quietly moved to one side.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

Quite the opposite, who cares a jot about some sad loser , only thing that has fuelled it is the stupidity of them thinking they are important and wasting a fortune on a lost cause. Why not just man up and take their medicine for stupidity.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The SNP want to break up England?
    LOL
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Exactly.

As long as the SNP "social democratic" policies are funded entirely by English taxpayers, there can be no accommodation that helps Labour
    What a moronic cretin you really are.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The SNP & Corbyn are aligned on Trident at least......
  • Options

Moses_ said:

dr_spyn said:

Sean_F said:

She never seems very well dressed. Always a bit too matronly.
    I don't know, most of the pics are pretty nice so not too sure about matronly TBF? I mean I would....

EDIT -- Vote for her I mean.
  • Options

Looney toons are out early today
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly.

Morning Macl! :smiley:
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

Quite the opposite, who cares a jot about some sad loser , only thing that has fuelled it is the stupidity of them thinking they are important and wasting a fortune on a lost cause. Why not just man up and take their medicine for stupidity.
    Who created the English, Malc? God - or Satan?

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Economics201: Explain (Again) Why Lower House Prices Are A Good Thing

Q: Is it good to have a Chancellor who hasn't a clue (and is plain daft on this issue)?

Lower hose prices are a good thing.

But massively lower house prices are a bad thing, because that would reduce labour market mobility (those with negative equity cannot easily move), and likely precipitate another banking crisis.
    They are if you are wealthy.

A massive house price crash would represent a vast redistrubution of wealth from the top 20% of society to the other 80%

Since high house prices mean that it costs more to get a larger house even if your house is worth more and moving cost lump sums increase drastically due to stamp duty and % charges by estate agents etc. there are only four real beneficiaries.

1) Already well off people who's parents die inherit more.

2) Banks who earn vast amounts of interest and commission

3) Eatate agents

4)) Gideon who rakes in more stamp duty and VAT on all the moving fees and saves a fortune on care home fees because higher house prices mean you can last longer dribbling in your venture capitalist owned concentration camp care home before your assets are exhausted and he has to pay.

Any of that suffering are likely to be welcomed by the WWC.

Hence it is a typical scenario where the elite are aghast at the prospect and think it is a good shroud to wave whereas ordinary people like me think, bring it on, it dosen't matter what my house is worth I will never see the money and if prices crash my kids might actually be able to buy something nearby without being tied to a vast debt their whole lives.

One of the more revolting sights in this referendum is the elite being so in favour of mass immigration because of cheap labour, but also because it drives property prices up. With this callous attitude to ordinary people, is it any wonder those adversely affected will give the elite the two-fingered salute.
    is it any wonder IF those adversely affected will give the elite the two-fingered salute.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

I wonder if the injunction would have been lifted if they'd come out as confirmed Brexiters?
    I think one of them is definitely in favour of 'in'......
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

Oh dear, Malky.

i know these playground outbursts are just a reflection of your frustration at your own inadequacy, but seriously, speak to your Grandkids and ask them to teach you some coping strategies...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081
    A fall in house prices won't necessarily redistribute wealth downward. Lots of countries and US states had house price collapses recently; it just destroys wealth. Some concepts are getting confused, I think.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

tlg86 said:

I'd be up for that - if Nicola would guarantee to put independence on ice for the period in return for plenty of devolution, I think there'd be much worse fates, and in general the English electorate think she's quite impressive. But I can imagine a very painful period with many Scottish Labour members feeling we'd done a deal with Satan, unless there was an actual coupon deal delivering some Labour seats that the SNP didn't contest - and that in turn wouldn't fly with SNP members, who would already struggle with any deal short of independence. I can see a post-election deal, not a pre-election one.

That said, I don't think the "in Salmond's pocket" scare would work quite so well with Sturgeon and Corbyn. English voters find her less aggressive than Salmond, and being easily pushed into policies he doesn't believe in is famously not one of Corbyn's weaknesses.
  • Options
    Vince Cable
    @vincecable
    Osborne on house prices. Surely big price fall good for affordability and economic balance. Stick to jobs and basic economics George.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Moses_ said:

tlg86 said:

People can't figure out why they have their own full Parliament subsidised by the English and yet they also have MPs sitting at Westminster voting on the daily lives of Mrs Scoggins of No2, Railway Sidings, Middle Fartingbridge.
    Perhaps 'people' should get off there no-doubt ample arses and start asking for EVEL, Federalism, English devolution or whatever constitutional arrangement that would salve there wounded amour propre. That would require effort rather than sedentary whining of course.
  • Options
    EPG said:

A fall in house prices won't necessarily redistribute wealth downward. Lots of countries and US states had house price collapses recently; it just destroys wealth. Some concepts are getting confused, I think.

Aka negative equity.
    Mind you if you are just using it to live in as opposed to making money that shouldn't be an "immediate" consideration. The problem now of course is since the Scottish twat Brown destroyed your old age some people will be looking to sell and downsize hoping the increased equity will fair them a better retirement.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

Vince Cable
    @vincecable
    Osborne on house prices. Surely big price fall good for affordability and economic balance. Stick to jobs and basic economics George.

Shit. I agree with Vince for once.
  • Options

...and being easily pushed into policies he doesn't believe in is famously not one of Corbyn's weaknesses.

Er, what about the EU?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

We have a number of young people working for our company that have zero chance of buying a home right now - if prices came off a few percentage points to at least give them a shot at owning something I would be very happy, even though I am a householder myself.
  • Options
    What key decison is the 5th biggest party in Wales taking today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-36335307
  • Options
    edited May 2016

tlg86 said:

I'd be up for that - if Nicola would guarantee to put independence on ice for the period in return for plenty of devolution, I think there'd be much worse fates, and in general the English electorate think she's quite impressive. But I can imagine a very painful period with many Scottish Labour members feeling we'd done a deal with Satan , unless there was an actual coupon deal delivering some Labour seats that the SNP didn't contest - and that in turn wouldn't fly with SNP members, who would already struggle with any deal short of independence. I can see a post-election deal, not a pre-election one.

That said, I don't think the "in Salmond's pocket" scare would work quite so well with Sturgeon and Corbyn. English voters find her less aggressive than Salmond, and being easily pushed into policies he doesn't believe in is famously not one of Corbyn's weaknesses.
    It's already happening.

https://twitter.com/dhothersall/status/733660091245826048
  • Options
    Just catching up on Question TIme, Paul Nuttall completely mugged off Paul Mason on the topic of post-war immigration.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

Who created the English, Malc? God - or Satan?

Whoever did, Jack Straw reckons they are not worth saving. At least he didn't mention his deep respect for white van man and flagged draped houses even if in negative equity
    :wink:
  • Options

tlg86 said:

in general the English electorate think she's quite impressive.
    Up to a point, Lord Copper.

There isn't a lot of polling, but a year ago when asked if they would trust what Sturgeon said on the EU, total GB split 38: 63 trust: distrust

http://tinyurl.com/jn57lyn

Since Sturgeon does enjoy very high ratings in Scotland, we may safely assume her English numbers are worse than that.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

EPG said:

Aka negative equity.
    Mind you if you are just using it to live in as opposed to making money that shouldn't be an "immediate" consideration. The problem now of course is since the Scottish twat Brown destroyed your old age some people will be looking to sell and downsize hoping the increased equity will fair them a better retirement.
    This is the problem. I see the sensible Mr Herdson said earlier on this thread that interest rates won't go up because home owners can't afford it. We're heading for a catastrophe, I am sure of it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    tlg86 said:

Just catching up on Question TIme, Paul Nuttall completely mugged off Paul Mason on the topic of post-war immigration.

Paul Mason is a right old Trot... Who would have thunk it! :smiley:
  • Options

I can see that the social democracy of the SNP

What Social Democracy of the SNP?

Poor kids in Scotland do worse educationally than poor kids in evil Tory England because the SNP prefers to featherbed middle class kids with free University education......similarly the Scottish middle class enjoy free prescriptions, while their English compatriots pay for them.....

In England 'SNP Social Democracy' might be better described as 'Tory'.....
    another looney toon who has obviously had brain addled living in tax exile and imagines delusionally that she knows anything about reality in Scotland.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. Gin, the crowd loved it.

Mr. Freggles, unsure of EDP, but the two papers are on the right.

Whenever there's complaints of lack of diversity it tends to be of a certain kind. Lack of women in sci-fi gets attention, lack of men in romantic fiction doesn't seem to matter.

Nevertheless, it is good to see papers at least considering the other side of the coin.

I do think teachers are a different kettle of fish, though, because it's also about role models. Men are at a substantial disadvantage in custody battles and some children will have no male role models to speak of.
  • Options

Mr. Gin, the crowd loved it.

"Crowds" loved watching people getting thrown to lions... ;)

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Vince Cable
    @vincecable

Actually Osborne is saying that Brexit will "hold back growth in house prices".

Which is good for existing owners as no immediate drop, and good for society as homes become steadily more affordable. This helps first-time buyers and people wanting to upgrade.

This is a reason FOR voting Leave.

And Cable wants this information hidden as he is only interested in being subservient to the EU - not what is best for British people.

• Options
    Moses_ said:

EPG said:

Aka negative equity.
    He had plenty of English twats assisting him , you English Nationalists really should look at the massiv echips on your shoulders. I know you feel inferior but take responsibilty.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

tlg86 said:

Perhaps 'people' should get off there no-doubt ample arses and start asking for EVEL, Federalism, English devolution or whatever constitutional arrangement that would salve there wounded amour propre. That would require effort rather than sedentary whining of course.
    Indeed I could not agree more. However it seems there can be an SNP, a Plaid Cymru even the Irish have variations but an English equivalent is not allowed. If ever there is they become derided as nazis, little Englanders < insert other preferred form of abuse here>

At least I didn't mention Hitler.

Oh?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    Just regarding house prices. While lower house prices in general would be good for the UK economy:

1. Houses as a percent of family wealth peaks in the 60-65 percentile, and becomes relatively small for those above 95%. Furthermore, those in the top 5% are much more likely to have overseas assets, which would be worth a lot more in the event of Brexit.

2. A significant decline (say, more than 35%) would likely lead to significantly reduced labour mobility due to large numbers of people being in negative equity. In addition, it's worth remembering we've only just sorted out our banks (at massive cost to the taxpayer). A drastic reduction in prices might well lead to some of them being too be bailed out again.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Oh dear, Malky.

i know these playground outbursts are just a reflection of your frustration at your own inadequacy, but seriously, speak to your Grandkids and ask them to teach you some coping strategies...
    Ha Ha Ha away and twatter some more loser.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

He worked for Newsnight for many years and then C4 News. Being a trot was probably a requirement.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

The BBC shouldn't be giving him air time. As far as I'm concerned, once you've served in a nice safe BBC editor's position, you forego the right to cross the line and become an opinion maker. Unless he gets elected to political office (like John Nicolson), the BBC should not be giving him a platform.
  • Options
    John Denham also discussed the 'work with the SNP' issue:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/13/labour-scotland-england-tory-snp
This discussion has been closed.