Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Age versus social class: ComRes assess the first test for t

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    @Alanbrooke - Very good! (Although I'm not sure about the 'scouser' bit)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited May 2016
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Golfer Mickelson Named In Trading Scam Case
    http://news.sky.com/story/1698899/golfer-mickelson-named-in-trading-scam-case

I know which side all the big bookies are rooting for...billy Walters is a legendary sports bettor who has spent years and years beating then.

Bookies really want to see Walters finally taken out. He's been taking them for millions every week for years at the sports book.
    http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12280555/how-billy-walters-became-sports-most-successful-controversial-bettor
    Interviews with a guy called Alan Boston (who helped pick college basketball for Walters) are always fascinating listening.

Haralabos Voulgaris (nothing to do with Walters) is also super interesting guy. He is one of the top nba bettors in the world.
    Interesting, thanks.. Walters is a fascinating character - the first pro gambler to have a computer, mobile phones and a big team in Vegas placing bets for him before the bookies knew what he was up to.
    He certainly is. The rumours about him & his activities have been about for a long time. It will be interesting how all this pans out. These days he is amazingly well connected.

These days with dfs (daily fantasy sports), there are also sort of groups of nerds "in the lab " crunching the numbers to beat this new form of gambling.
    John Oliver on Daily Fantasy Sports.
    Basically no-one is winning unless they're professionals at it, with large spreadsheets and researchers.
    https://youtu.be/Mq785nJ0FXQ
    Correct...Although since that they have made a few changes to the rules. One of the biggest problems was the pros would enter 1000s of times for competitions ranging from $1000 to $1. So casuals would be up against pro for even a $1. Now they have limited the number of entries & pros basically don't play in less than $10-20 pools.

But it's like any p2p gambling the chance a casual wins even a big field online poker, even buying as low as $100 these days is absolutely tiny. The $109 rebuy on pokerstars is probably the hardest tournament on the planet.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798

Wanderer said:

Does anyone self-identify as "WWC"? It sounds like an outsized toilet.

If I were white, I would self identify as WWC, but as it is, I'm just WC.

your'e a lawyer, you don't actually work.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

RobD said:

Just catching up.. what happens if the Queens Speech is amended? Surely that throws an almighty spanner into the works?

In the past, it has brought down governments, what happens under the FTPA, Gawd knows.
    Given that no other party can secure a majority, surely it would lead to a GE? Does the EU referendum act say anything regarding delays in this scenario.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587

taffys said:

Sandpit said:

Another weasel-worded non apology from an elite Labour MP. Lady Bucket Mk II.

Calling Pat Glass one of the elite is stretching the term rather far!
    Its good to see remainer tories riding to the defence of Jeremy Corbyn's Labour MPs.
    I'm not, I'm riding to the defence of the elite.
    it's ok Richard you're not part of it.
    Certainly not!

Or at least, I think I'm not. I have just ordered a case of Léoville Barton 2015, so maybe I am. But I paid for it from my betting winnings, so maybe not. The main question is whether it's ready to drink before I pop my clogs.
    LOL. Giscours is also worth a look but is an equally distant pleasure..
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,626

Wanderer said:

Does anyone self-identify as "WWC"? It sounds like an outsized toilet.

If I were white, I would self identify as WWC, but as it is, I'm just WC.
    "But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you!"
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

taffys said:

Sandpit said:

Its good to see remainer tories riding to the defence of Jeremy Corbyn's Labour MPs.
    Certainly not!

Or at least, I think I'm not. I have just ordered a case of Léoville Barton 2015, so maybe I am. But I paid for it from my betting winnings, so maybe not. The main question is whether it's ready to drink before I pop my clogs.
    Worse than that Richard. It's whether it's ready to drink before you turn into SeanT.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Elite in her attitudes, if not in her upbringing.

How many Labour WWC are going to turn out for Remain, outside London?
    I think a lot, I've been surprised how many WWC and youthful campaigners in Sheffield Remain have.
    Is that because you haven't met any before ?
    I'm the only Tory in South Yorkshire, I'm surrounded by the WWC
    No youre surrounded by the AAC - Asian aspirational class.

Is that a big demographic in Barnsley?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I think a lot, I've been surprised how many WWC and youthful campaigners in Sheffield Remain have.
    I'm in area with 95% white population.
  • Options

taffys said:

Sandpit said:

Certainly not!

Worse than that Richard. It's whether it's ready to drink before you turn into SeanT.
    Surprising

I had Richard down as more of a lager man.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

taffys said:

Sandpit said:

Certainly not!
    there once was a rough scouser navvy
    whose bets were judicious and savvy
    with his mountain of dosh
    he began to talk posh
    and called himself Doctor Nabavi :-)
    When I become Directly Elected Dictator, I'm appointing you my Poet Laureate
    Isn't that Directly Elected Alternate Dictator - to Ms Cyclefree's Dictatrix?
  • Options

taffys said:

Sandpit said:

Certainly not!

Surprising

I had Richard down as more of a lager man.
    You clearly have not met him...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Blocks, even my village isn't that white.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I know which side all the big bookies are rooting for...billy Walters is a legendary sports bettor who has spent years and years beating then.

Bookies really want to see Walters finally taken out. He's been taking them for millions every week for years at the sports book.
    http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12280555/how-billy-walters-became-sports-most-successful-controversial-bettor
    Interviews with a guy called Alan Boston (who helped pick college basketball for Walters) are always fascinating listening.

Haralabos Voulgaris (nothing to do with Walters) is also super interesting guy. He is one of the top nba bettors in the world.
    Interesting, thanks.. Walters is a fascinating character - the first pro gambler to have a computer, mobile phones and a big team in Vegas placing bets for him before the bookies knew what he was up to.
    He certainly is. The rumours about him & his activities have been about for a long time. It will be interesting how all this pans out. These days he is amazingly well connected.

These days with dfs (daily fantasy sports), there are also sort of groups of nerds "in the lab " crunching the numbers to beat this new form of gambling.
    Basically no-one is winning unless they're professionals at it, with large spreadsheets and researchers.
    The formula for winning is pretty simple - enter hundreds of high variance teams at a time, it's basically offering up hundreds of value betting opportunities every day - much like the online poker boom of the 00s.

Eventually the pool of suckers will run dry.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Too good to live with the rest of us Asians? :lol:
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The formula for winning is pretty simple - enter hundreds of high variance teams at a time, it's basically offering up hundreds of value betting opportunities every day - much like the online poker boom of the 00s.

Eventually the pool of suckers will run dry.

To succeed at dfs it's a little bit more complex than that. Most of the pros win at the low stakes against the droolers to enable them to compete in the high stakes pools for a chance to make good money. However the level of sophistication is such that it already very difficult to overcome rake & competition to parlay this into big bucks...the evolution cycle is proceeding more quickly than poker.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Looking here it is 92% White, 4% Asian

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/sheffieldhallam/
  • Options

What's the context. Those look like unguided artillery rockets, like Katyusha rockets.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,071
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Glass backtracks after horrible racist remark: "Concerns about immigration are entirely valid & its important politicians engage with them"

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/733304888839548928

To call Pat Glass elite is to cause epistemological problems of sufficient magnitude as to lay upon the logical and semantic resources of the English language a heavier burden than they can reasonably be expected to bear.
    When is it going to stop raining at Headingly?
    How much have you laid the draw for :D ?
    £60*, my standard cricket bet, changed from £50 in honour of the Convicts' meek capitulation for that score in the Ashes test last year. :D

*actually I forgot about there being a Test in May and am out of cash, so virtual betting on the spreadsheet for this Test.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    New Welsh government

Health, well being and sport: Vaughan Gething
    Finance and Local Government: Mark Drakeford
    Education: Kristy Williams
    Environment and Rural Affairs: Lesley Griffiths
    Communities and Children: Carl Sergeant

Leader of the House and Chief Whip: Jane Hutt

Junior minister

Skills and Science: Julie James
    Lifelong learning and Welsh language: Alun Davies
    Social Services and Public Health: Rebecca Evans
  • Options

New Welsh government

Junior minister

Given recent posting, I started trying to read it as a limerick. Then I realized it wasn't, when I couldn't get it to scan ... ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Hmm Selling to the US at $100/hr is good when it's 1.4ish to the £. Not quite the rate of Max's electrician though :D
  • Options
    Just out of interest, how would posters on here describe working class? If you are born into it do you ever leave it? For what it's worth, I'd say that I was born into a working class family, but am now firmly a member of the middle class. I reckon you can move up, but that you don't move down - though your descendants can. No MP, on £65,000 plus a year, is working class in my view. Not even Dennis Skinner.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Glass backtracks after horrible racist remark: "Concerns about immigration are entirely valid & its important politicians engage with them"

To call Pat Glass elite is to cause epistemological problems of sufficient magnitude as to lay upon the logical and semantic resources of the English language a heavier burden than they can reasonably be expected to bear.
    £60*, my standard cricket bet, changed from £50 in honour of the Convicts' meek capitulation for that score in the Ashes test last year. :D

*actually I forgot about there being a Test in May and am out of cash, so virtual betting on the spreadsheet for this Test.
    Any thoughts on England's first inning total. I'm thinking around 225.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

it's at least 50% Asian, the Uncle toms are all playing honkies.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    MTimT said:

New Welsh government

Junior minister

Given recent posting, I started trying to read it as a limerick. Then I realized it wasn't, when I couldn't get it to scan ... ;)
    Ha!
  • Options

Just out of interest, how would posters on here describe working class? If you are born into it do you ever leave it? For what it's worth, I'd say that I was born into a working class family, but am now firmly a member of the middle class. I reckon you can move up, but that you don't move down - though your descendants can. No MP, on £65,000 plus a year, is working class in my view. Not even Dennis Skinner.

I would like to see his reaction to.somebody telling him that ;-)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yup. I'm surrounded by the professional middle classes.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

so not welders and miners then ?

these young WWC enthusiasts are simply your flunkies,
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

I think attitude to money is the most defining feature, though I am not keen even on that in principle. The working class live day to day; the middle class always want more and the upper class don't talk about it.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

When I was young there wasn't an underclass, so we've all been promoted by default.

Class is a state of mind, you are what you want to be. Salad cream and mayonnaise play an bigger role than they're given credit for.
  • Options

I'd see it more as a cultural self-identification and worldview rather than an income bracket. That said, I don't thinking anyone who was born with a silver spoon in their mouth could ever become 'working class', but I have no problem if Skinner does. His credibility in doing so would be entirely related to his ability to understand and empathize at a visceral level with the WC's problems and concerns.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

How painfully awful.

No doubt a sink (volvo) estate.

• Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    BBC PARLIAMENT
    BBC PARLIAMENT

75: Not Out

Angela Rippon presents 75: Not Out. As the UK prepares to go to the polls over membership of the EU, BBC Parliament looks back to 5 June 1975 when the British public was asked to vote on being part of the European Economic Community (EEC) in the country’s first ever nationwide referendum.

Legendary BBC newsreader Angela Rippon returns to the story she covered as a young journalist, presenting an evening of programmes from the BBC archives and sharing her memories of the political turmoil of a nation - and a government - divided.

The circumstances sound familiar: A Prime Minister promises to renegotiate the country's terms of European membership and then takes the choice to the people. He makes the unprecedented decision to allow members of his cabinet to campaign to leave, despite his government urging the public to vote yes. But the Prime Minster in question was Harold Wilson, and the year was 1975.

Viewers will be treated to key moments in the 1975 campaign including the tense Panorama head-to-head between Tony Benn and Roy Jenkins and the riotous Oxford Union debate between Barbara Castle, Ted Heath, Jeremy Thorpe and Peter Shore. Newly-crowned Conservative leader Margaret Thatcher pops up in her striking European flag jumper and to give her support to the ‘In’ campaign on Newsday. The night ends with a young David Dimbleby presenting his first national results programme, when 67 percent of British voters said ‘Yes’ to the UK's membership of the European Economic Community (EEC).

Join BBC Parliament on 5 June for 75: Not Out, a trip down memory lane, when no studio was too beige and no collar too large.

75: Not Out Schedule
    19:05 The National Referendum Campaign ‘Out Into The World’ party political broadcast

19:15 Part I: Debate from the Oxford Union featuring Peter Shore & Jeremy Thorpe

20:05 ‘Britain In Europe’ party political broadcast with Jim Callaghan, Shirley Williams, David Steel, Willie Whitelaw and Roy Jenkins

20:15 The Rock and Roll Years 1975

20:45 Newsday: Angela Rippon reads the news, Michael Charlton interviews Conservative leader Margaret Thatcher

21:00 Panorama: David Dimbleby presents a head to head debate between Tony Benn and Roy Jenkins

21:50 Nationwide: Bernard Falk talks to ex-pat Brits living in Brussels

22:00 Part II: Debate from the Oxford Union featuring Barbara Castle and Ted Heath

23:00 News: Pro-marketeers celebrate victory and Tony Benn is graceful in defeat

23:05 Referendum results programme presented by David Dimbleby with David Butler

Sunday 5 June

7.00pm-1.05am

BBC PARLIAMENT
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

over unders at 330..
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/ilfordnorth/
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/images/pie2/1328pie4.png

Ilford North is:

52% white, 33% Asian, 8% Black
  • Options

When I was young there wasn't an underclass, so we've all been promoted by default.

Class is a state of mind, you are what you want to be. Salad cream and mayonnaise play an bigger role than they're given credit for.

I like salad cream with crisps and mayonnaise with chips.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Ilford North is:

And has a good rail network with low cost hotels.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

over unders at 330..
    Wow! Seems optimistic.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

Second consecutive poll showing Trump in the lead...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TGOHF said:

MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

over unders at 330..
    With 5 down already!?
  • Options

For some reason a lot of middle class people like to pretend they are still working class.

• Options

Social mobility in action ;-)
  • Options

For some reason a lot of middle class people like to pretend they are still working class.

I think partially because the term working class is a misnomer.

I would say I am middle class but I would also say I work damned hard so the idea I'm not so-called working class is odd. It is bizarre that a person working 50 hours a week is not working class but someone working 16 hours a week (if at all) is.
  • Options

Yep, pull up outside the old man's house in the new motor. Nothing wrong in that at all, I'm all for aspiration, but I've seen a few where its almost stage managed.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

I'd see it more as a cultural self-identification and worldview rather than an income bracket. That said, I don't thinking anyone who was born with a silver spoon in their mouth could ever become 'working class', but I have no problem if Skinner does. His credibility in doing so would be entirely related to his ability to understand and empathize at a visceral level with the WC's problems and concerns.

You can do that without being working class. I think I pretty much get working class aspiration, piss taking, attitudes to everything from drink to football to violence, worries about immigration etc, because I have come from there. But I am not there anymore. Neither is Mr Skinner. And, of course, there is no single working class bloc.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

Take any polls when one nominee is in place but another isn't with a mammoth dollop of salt.

Supporters of Trump's opponents within the party are at the point where they're begrudgingly getting behind him. Same can not be said for Hillary.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Mr. Observer, you decadent metropolitan bourgeois capitalist, you.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2016
    Interesting piece indeed.

the final ComRes poll got all top five parties to within a point of their actual vote share on both rounds of voting

Impressive.

"ComRes interviewed 1,034 adults living in London online from 28th April to 3rd May 2016"

:neutral:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,605
    RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

Blimey.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Ilford North is:

And has a good rail network with low cost hotels.
    I think the hotel you stayed at was actually in Ilford South!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited May 2016
    marke09 said:

BBC PARLIAMENT
    BBC PARLIAMENT

Angela Rippon presents 75: Not Out. As the UK prepares to go to the polls over membership of the EU, BBC Parliament looks back to 5 June 1975 when the British public was asked to vote on being part of the European Economic Community (EEC) in the country’s first ever nationwide referendum.

Legendary BBC newsreader Angela Rippon returns to the story she covered as a young journalist, presenting an evening of programmes from the BBC archives and sharing her memories of the political turmoil of a nation - and a government - divided.

The circumstances sound familiar: A Prime Minister promises to renegotiate the country's terms of European membership and then takes the choice to the people. He makes the unprecedented decision to allow members of his cabinet to campaign to leave, despite his government urging the public to vote yes. But the Prime Minster in question was Harold Wilson, and the year was 1975.

Viewers will be treated to key moments in the 1975 campaign including the tense Panorama head-to-head between Tony Benn and Roy Jenkins and the riotous Oxford Union debate between Barbara Castle, Ted Heath, Jeremy Thorpe and Peter Shore. Newly-crowned Conservative leader Margaret Thatcher pops up in her striking European flag jumper and to give her support to the ‘In’ campaign on Newsday. The night ends with a young David Dimbleby presenting his first national results programme, when 67 percent of British voters said ‘Yes’ to the UK's membership of the European Economic Community (EEC).

Join BBC Parliament on 5 June for 75: Not Out, a trip down memory lane, when no studio was too beige and no collar too large.

19:05 The National Referendum Campaign ‘Out Into The World’ party political broadcast

19:15 Part I: Debate from the Oxford Union featuring Peter Shore & Jeremy Thorpe

20:05 ‘Britain In Europe’ party political broadcast with Jim Callaghan, Shirley Williams, David Steel, Willie Whitelaw and Roy Jenkins

20:45 Newsday: Angela Rippon reads the news, Michael Charlton interviews Conservative leader Margaret Thatcher

21:00 Panorama: David Dimbleby presents a head to head debate between Tony Benn and Roy Jenkins

22:00 Part II: Debate from the Oxford Union featuring Barbara Castle and Ted Heath

23:00 News: Pro-marketeers celebrate victory and Tony Benn is graceful in defeat

23:05 Referendum results programme presented by David Dimbleby with David Butler

Sunday 5 June

7.00pm-1.05am

BBC PARLIAMENT

I was at that Oxford Union debate, seated close to the front....wonder if the TV captured a 19 year old John O (though even in those salad days of youth, a face made for radio).
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Working class is a propaganda term which has become comical since it is frequently applied to the work shy, benefit addicted and fraudulent.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

Take any polls when one nominee is in place but another isn't with a mammoth dollop of salt.

Supporters of Trump's opponents within the party are at the point where they're begrudgingly getting behind him. Same can not be said for Hillary.
    So true....Problem is, Bernie's supporters may well get behind The Donald!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

Huffpost seem to be excluding some (safe) state polls, UT and NJ spring to mind. Obviously both should be safe seats unless massive landslides occur but it would help your sheet if Huffpost included them !
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,926

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting. A few weeks ago there was some nervousness amongst the metropolitan Labour elite that WWC Labour voters outside London might not be motivated to turn out or even tempted to vote leave by the siren calls of UKIP.

Fortunately the unions have weighed in heavily and Corbyn & McDonnell have done a lot to dispel talk that they were only lukewarm about Remain.
    I find it amusing when people like Blackburn63 confidently assert there will be "very few" WWC voters backing Remain outside of London. I doubt they they have a clue what campaigning the unions are doing.

Who can forget how well UKIP were going to do in last years' s Oldham by-election?

I am expecting very substantial numbers of WWC Remain voters, particularly in the big cities.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    marke09 said:

BBC PARLIAMENT
    BBC PARLIAMENT

V

Sunday 5 June

7.00pm-1.05am

BBC PARLIAMENT

A major difference between the 1975 referendum and the 2016 one is that in 1975 the Prime Minister took little part in the Yes (Remain) campaign. And he had not pre-announced his departure - at that time he was widely expected to lead Labour into the next election. So the campaign was not about him and the cabinet-level protagonists were not fighting a proxy battle for the party leadership.

This time however.......
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

Huffpost seem to be excluding some (safe) state polls, UT and NJ spring to mind. Obviously both should be safe seats unless massive landslides occur but it would help your sheet if Huffpost included them !
    As a far as I can make out, they don't put a state on the CSS feed until there are at least three polls.

Patience, dear boy...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685

Both quite sensible with some caveats. If you're ingesting a lot of carb, it's advisable to have a lot of fat to slow the digestive process.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Hillary is just as big a mathematical cert as the Donald is for the nomination (I suppose either one of them could die between now and the convention (Or be arrested (Trump U, E-mails) but neither scenario is particularly likely))

What has screwed Hillary is that it simply hasn't looked that way - she has not had a big somewhat unexpected against the demographics win like Trump had in IN (Her bigger than expected victories were on Super Tuesday in very AA states where she was a mile ahead anyway), and Bernie has stayed in way past the point it is even vaguely plausible he can win unlike Cruz/Kasich !

Bernie has had as many winning nights as Hillary too, which has distorted perceptions :p
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Middle class is best described as clinging to the belly of the upper class, I've heard.
  • Options

Working class is a propaganda term which has become comical since it is frequently applied to the work shy, benefit addicted and fraudulent.
    Quite, the underclass I referred to earlier.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

I'm worried that the Democrats will read the writing on the wall and slay the monster before the Presidential run-off.
  • Options

MTimT said:

You can do that without being working class. I think I pretty much get working class aspiration, piss taking, attitudes to everything from drink to football to violence, worries about immigration etc, because I have come from there. But I am not there anymore. Neither is Mr Skinner. And, of course, there is no single working class bloc.

Indeed. My point about the silver spoon is that, unless one has genuinely experienced 'being working class' firsthand - and that probably implies being born into it - I don't think you can credibly claim to be working class. No champagne socialist could ever make the claim credibly, no matter how much they try to empathize. But if you were born into it, you can still conjure up what being in that culture means. Despite my current relative affluence, I can still recall what it meant for my mother to have to budget the food shop in a way that would be entirely artificial for the Posh Boys.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting. A few weeks ago there was some nervousness amongst the metropolitan Labour elite that WWC Labour voters outside London might not be motivated to turn out or even tempted to vote leave by the siren calls of UKIP.

Fortunately the unions have weighed in heavily and Corbyn & McDonnell have done a lot to dispel talk that they were only lukewarm about Remain.
    I find it amusing when people like Blackburn63 confidently assert there will be "very few" WWC voters backing Remain outside of London. I doubt they they have a clue what campaigning the unions are doing.

Who can forget how well UKIP were going to do in last years' s Oldham by-election?

I am expecting very substantial numbers of WWC Remain voters, particularly in the big cities.
    Do you live in London?
  • Options
    PAW said:

Middle class is best described as clinging to the belly of the upper class, I've heard.

I thought it meant actually following the rules.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I think the Remain ground campaign is stronger and better coordinated than the Leave campaign but it seems to be concentrated in major cities and metropolitan areas, and that won't necessarily be decisive.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

Indeed. I saw a poll suggesting up to 35% of his support in WV will go to Trump. Not that that will make one iota of difference to the make up of the Electoral College.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    Certainly where I live (coast of West Sussex) most elderly WWC and a lot of middle class seem pro leave. Same amongst younger tradesmen.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

I'm worried that the Democrats will read the writing on the wall and slay the monster before the Presidential run-off.
    I don't think you need to worry. The Clintons won't give up unless their dead bodies are pried from the nomination. And with 90%+ of the Dem Establishment vying desperately for floor passes to the Convention, no-one will jump ship until it is too late.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    Certainly where I live (coast of West Sussex) most elderly WWC and a lot of middle class seem pro leave. Same amongst younger tradesmen.
    I just wonder sometimes if pollsters reach these people enough - or at all.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    Proximity to Calais a factor?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

Indeed. I saw a poll suggesting up to 35% of his support in WV will go to Trump. Not that that will make one iota of difference to the make up of the Electoral College.
    Surely Trump can reach out better to the PA, OH communities than "47%" Romney though. I'd be VERY surprised if Trump doesn't improve on Romney's vote in PA in particular - it is a must win state anyhow with VA solidly in the blue column this election anyhow.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    Yes, and they vote, its an event for them, something to look forward to.

The can't be arsed are Leave's biggest strength
  • Options
    MTimT said:

midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    West Sussex close to Calais?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

It's strange that Romney only stood for one term.

Rasmussen's 2012 performance was garbage.
  • Options
    "Gates questions Hillary's 'judgment' on emails" When I saw the headline, I thought it unusual for Bill Gates to wade into the political fray to such an extent. Then I realized it was the former CIA chief turned former Secretary of Defense, Robert!

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/robert-gates-hillary-clinton-email-223359
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Men only? The UK's last strongholds of masculinity as Muirfield keeps ban on women members
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articles/36332346

Very sexist article...no exploration of women only clubs, only.a token mention in the final sentence! ;-)
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, women-only is the good sort of discrimination. Keep up, old bean.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Ken Skates gets Economy and Infrastructure in Welsh cabinet. I forgot him earlier. So that is 6 cabinet members; the chief whip and 3 junior ministers.

Skates and Gething got promotion. The LibDem joins in. No one gets demoted as there were 3 retirements and 1 defeat among previous members.

• Options

Shortlists, carriages....
  • Options

MTimT said:

midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    Certainly relative to Scotland or Cornwall.
  • Options
    Mr. D, quite. The sooner the fallopian-deprived apes learn their place the better.
  • Options

MTimT said:

midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    98 miles as the crow flies from Calais to Worthing. So less than my daily commute round trip. Ergo, in my book, relatively close by. Certainly only a hop in terms of modern economic migration.
  • Options
    RobD said:

CR-UK's Race for Life :)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    Dover is in Kent, not West Sussex
  • Options

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    I do understand that. Worthing is as close to Calais as Baltimore is to Philly.
  • Options

RobD said:

CR-UK's Race for Life :)
    The most egregious example, yes!
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    And London, UK, is closer to Washington DC than Honolulu, Hawaii, is to DC.
  • Options

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    I also understand that the moon is closer than Mars.

I am not getting your point. My point was whether being on the south coast of England exposed West Sussex to a higher rate of immigration than, say northern parts of England, or Wales or Scotland, which might have an effect on attitudes to the EU ref.

• Options
    “It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, but you can lose it in a minute."
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    MTimT said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Clinton in BIG trouble

5/17-5/18 Rasmussen
    2016 General Election
    Trump 42% Clinton 37%

The thing about Trump, is that he is like a room that only holds one big, red button.

That has DO NOT PRESS on it.

You just desperately want to know what happens if you do press the button/elect him as President....whether intrigued or appalled at the possibility, it is just too tantalising to pass up!
  • Options

Mr. D, quite. The sooner the fallopian-deprived apes learn their place the better.

Positions of power and influence??
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

midwinter said:

OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Do you live in London?
    I also understand that the moon is closer than Mars.

I am not getting your point. My point was whether being on the south coast of England exposed West Sussex to a higher rate of immigration than, say northern parts of England, or Wales or Scotland, which might have an effect on attitudes to the EU ref.

My point being that London isn't as far from Washington as Honolulu is (currently the farthest State Capital from DC).
  • Options

“It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, but you can lose it in a minute."
    Sam Wang is enjoying Nate's pisspoor 2016 immensely:

http://election.princeton.edu/
  • Options

My point being that London isn't as far from Washington as Honolulu is (currently the farthest State Capital from DC).

And what relevance does your point have to the discussion?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelePolitics: John Swinney told to rethink SNP state guardian plan on first full day in new job https://t.co/6WDD3BYEMH https://t.co/5sRfqACKhW
  • Options
    edited May 2016

The problem for nate is he is now the top bod of a 40 person team looking at all sorts of stuff. From interviews I have heard he now spends a huge amount of his time managing / editing rather than being the baseball stats geek applying similar methods to politics eg They now have big contracts for sports modelling. Eye off ball and all that.
This discussion has been closed.