Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

A substantial increase in PCC turnout, even if from dismal to very poor...

Synching them with LEs made a big difference.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbclaurak: John Curtice pretty much calls London for Sadiq Khan, then Ken Livingstone starts talking about Hitler
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290

Livingstone from BBC News
    "Former London Mayor Ken Livingstone comments on the anti-Semitism row that engulfed Labour. He claims others in Labour made an issue of it and tells these critics: "You've cost us seats all over the country."

They wouldn't have had the chance to fan the flames unless Livingstone had poured a great big can of petrol over an ember that seemed set to go out. He now accepts that the row cost Labour seats, yes is oblivious to his own role. The man is an utter liability to the party he purports to support.

Four letters describe Livingstone.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    Does anyone know how the BBC actually arrives at their ENS calculation?

It deserves a bit of scrutiny - for one thing it seems to have pre-dated the counting of the London Assembly votes. Will they revise it or is that it?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@GerriPeev: Handing Ken Livingstone a mic is like giving an alcoholic a bottle of Jack Daniel's.They can't help themselves & it's not good for the kids

That comment very close to the bone....

Yep, Ken after lunch is very dangerous.

After lunch is being generous.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Yes, I agree - there were plenty of pitfalls and he avoided them all with a careful, positive and disciplined effort. I thought his comment of regret that Goldsmith, who he knew as a liberal cosmopolitan, had allowed his campaign to slip into anti-Muslim stereotyping was far better than if he'd denounced Goldsmith personally. It pretty much defused the issue.

It's a lesson for Crosby and his mates - you can't win an election *only* by shouting "Islamist!" "friends with extremists!" and the like.

Khan ran a very good campaign and was a good choice for Labour, albeit a bit dull. But Zac was even more dull, so that didn't matter.

The 'friends with extremists' line never really caught on. Personally I was never convinced by it, the well-argued posts by Ms Cyclefree notwithstanding. I'm much more concerned about Sadiq's daft policies on housing and transport fares, but if Londoners want to vote for less housing and worse transport, who am I to complain?

As @anothernick and @FrancisUrquhart pointed out, Zac managed to be on the wrong side of some crucial issues. I'm surprised his campaign wasn't better; he never really made the leap from what works in Richmond to what would work in London as a whole.
    Reason he couldn't make the leap out of Richmond...he got confused by the tube ;-)
    No. His chauffer couldn't find Richmond Underground Station. I suppose he could have used the 65 bus, then he would have to find his local bus stop.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    dr_spyn said:

Livingstone from BBC News
    "Former London Mayor Ken Livingstone comments on the anti-Semitism row that engulfed Labour. He claims others in Labour made an issue of it and tells these critics: "You've cost us seats all over the country."

They wouldn't have had the chance to fan the flames unless Livingstone had poured a great big can of petrol over an ember that seemed set to go out. He now accepts that the row cost Labour seats, yes is oblivious to his own role. The man is an utter liability to the party he purports to support.

Four letters describe Livingstone.
    N. E. W. T?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Scott_P said:

@Labour_Celts: Brilliant analysis by @johnmcternan
    on SNP & a 2nd referendum they ain't interested in having!

https://t.co/fdRf8mROb6

*brilliant*

https://twitter.com/johnmcternan/status/441959652742664192
    So is your analysis too much F R E E D O M, or not enough?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited May 2016

It deserves a bit of scrutiny - for one thing it seems to have pre-dated the counting of the London Assembly votes. Will they revise it or is that it?

They look at key indicator wards & curtice has a model to extrapolate from them. Thrasher has a different model & so you sometimes see a slightly different numbers on sky.
  • Options

I don't think the ENS is ever calculated from the assembly election.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    NEV opposition lead= -1. An identical start for Labour in England compared to Miliband 2011. Weaker in Wales (More so than the headline seat changes, and obviously weaker in Scotland.

Big picture is Labour heading to about the same defeat they were last time at this point
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    dr_spyn said:

Swing against Goldsmith in Bexley?

Isn't that simply because UKIP got a reasonable number of votes this time, having completely screwed up last time? I'd expect a substantial first-pref swing away from the Conservatives purely on that effect.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Lets hope a post referendum reshuffle sees GO getting air miles and Gove to CoTE.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited May 2016
    dr_spyn said:
    Where do they get 7% from? - it's 3.3ish% (if they are talking about the constituency vote)
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    I want to see the South West results. My vote may have done it.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Could Corbyn's "Labour hung on" comment be his "we're all right"?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@katie_martin_fx: Ken says the Hitler controversy is fired up by Labour people "backed by the hedge funds".

Is he wrong ?
    That depends what he means by 'fired up' (well not just on that, but particularly that). His other comments make clear he thinks there is no reason for people to be angry and it is all made up anger, and he is wrong about that. If he meant that other people are trying to make the most out of it, make it as angry and emotional as possible, that is true, but he is still the sole instigator. So yes, he is wrong.
    surbiton said:

Labour losses 25, Tory losses 20. Lib Dem gains 29. UKIP 24.

Really doesn't look that bad a set of results for anyone.
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Is there a place to follow just PCCs that gives you hold/gains?

People will never vote for these Politically Correct Commissioners.
    Turnout up across the board:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2016/police
    Yes, the local elections helped on that front, Too bad the role is a nonsense even so.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Am I right in thinking that outside Scotland this is a pretty meh performance by the Tories too?

I think meh sums up results for everybody.
    Good result for Khan though, as the numbers currently stand.
    This does lead to one question. If Labour is doing just as well / just as badly as in 2012, why is Khan winning so easily when Livingstone lost ?
    London has improved for Labour since 2012. The results in 2015 show that.

London won the GLA vote in 2012, having lost it in 2008. The mayoral vote was Boris v Ken and having seen Ken in action over recent weeks perhaps a few more people will begin to understand why a lot of Labour voters could not put their X's next to Ken's name.

To be precise, Labour had its best-ever result in London Assembly elections in 2012, but appears to have improved on it further this year, with a good shot at an absolute majority in the Assembly. It's plausible to ascribe this trend to cultural change, with London becoming gradually more like the Guardian, so to speak, while people who can't stand such stuff moving away to other areas.
  • Options

My comment about corbyn 2020 GE campaign only talking to the BBC (if they promise to be nice) & press tv the other day looking like it will be spot on. He already doesn't do sky news, telegraph, Daily mail
    IIRC Patrick Kidd in the Times has a great sketch today saying something like "Jeremy doesn't like politics, he's never done it before"
  • Options

My comment about corbyn 2020 GE campaign only talking to the BBC (if they promise to be nice) & press tv the other day looking like it will be spot on. He already doesn't do sky news, telegraph, Daily mail
    He does not have a contract like Premiership managers.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2016
    Begley and Bromley mayoral figures

Zac 97528
    Sadiq 48212

https://londonelects.org.uk/sites/default/files/Bexley and Bromley - Mayor 2016.pdf
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

Over in Northern Ireland, both Sinn Fein and SDLP are losing 2-3% of the vote, and the DUP are down 2%. The gainers are minor Unionist parties, Greens, and People Before Profit.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    kle4 said:

Yes, the local elections helped on that front, Too bad the role is a nonsense even so.

Wasn't the role appointed by the local council previously?
  • Options

They look at key indicator wards & curtice has a model to extrapolate from them. Thrasher has a different model & so you sometimes see a slightly different numbers on sky.
    Thanks. Are the London mayoral election results available at ward level then before being aggregated? Because if not Curtice can't have used any results from London as his base data before extrapolating.
  • Options
    2012 B&B mayoral figures were on Round 1

Boris 104944 Ken 37520
  • Options

Thanks. Are the London mayoral election results available at ward level then before being aggregated? Because if not Curtice can't have used any results from London as his base data before extrapolating.
    I believe the ENS is only calculated from local election data, not any other parliament/assembly/mayoral position.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@katie_martin_fx: Ken says the Hitler controversy is fired up by Labour people "backed by the hedge funds".

Is he wrong ?
    Let us not go down this route again.

Talking about Hitler is foolish, bad for business and, increasingly, makes Ken look like he has lost even more of the political plot than he did in the 80s, 90s and 00s combined.

Whether he is right or wrong about who is gunning for him is matter of a opinion, saying the stupid things he said has no place in political discourse.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

2012 B&B mayoral figures were on Round 1

Boris 104944 Ken 37520

It was Ken F****** Livingstone, for heaven's sake. One of the few politicians both my father and I have campaigned against, thirty (ish) years apart!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    The other impressive part about the Tory gains in Scotland is that after the GE last year everyone was being assured that a majority Con government would lead to independence within 5 years. I think we've got to move on from the idea that the Tory brand is toxic in all of Scotland now. I think it is still toxic in some parts and among the more right on social media parts, but overall I don't think the public at large see the Tory brand as toxic any more, another of Ruth's achievements.

The SNP's immediate reaction to the Tories being the main opposition party might be to scream "tory scum" as loudly as possible but like Labour in 2015 it probably won't get much traction as people want to hear sensible arguments rather than reactionary rhetoric.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

He does not have a contract like Premiership managers.
    Premier league managers only need to vote of the chairman...jezza needs 10+ million.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Labour gains Merton & Wandsworth from Tories say Sky
  • Options
    Labour gain Merton and Wandsworth GLA seat from Con
  • Options
    Con hold West Central
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Sean_F said:

Over in Northern Ireland, both Sinn Fein and SDLP are losing 2-3% of the vote, and the DUP are down 2%. The gainers are minor Unionist parties, Greens, and People Before Profit.

It's a sad day for democracy when people turn their backs on mindless tribalism
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Constant u-turns is an inevitable feature of a government with a majority of 12 and a glittering array of would-be divas on its backbenches.

On schools though it was a bloody stupid idea, with no real upside.
    Oh I completely agree. Sometimes the would-be divas are right.
    Don't misunderestimate Osborne who might come out of this U-turn on academy schools smelling of roses.

Regression to the mean is Osborne's friend here. Even if turning schools into academies has no effect whatsoever -- good or bad -- then normal fluctuations would see some bad schools get better and some good schools get worse.

But the partial U-turn means the good schools which get worse by chance won't be academies, which "proves" Osborne was right in the first place, and the bad schools that by chance get better will be academies which also proves the government was right.

Pure snake oil.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

A substantial increase in PCC turnout, even if from dismal to very poor...

Synching them with LEs made a big difference.
    Durham (no locals): 17.4% (+3.0). My 'tip' for lowest turnout looking good.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Salford mayor - Round 2

Paul Dennett Labour 24,209+ 4,123
    Robin Garrido Conservative 11,810+2,674

Dennett is a Corbynista.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Dismore now comfortably ahead for Labour in Brent and Harrow. Merton and Wandsworth still looking like a Labour gain on a slim margin (about a 3,5-4% swing to Labour there), and Redbridge like a Tory hold on an even slimmer one. Basically the core of the doughnut turned out and the outer ring is not as Tory as it was. There seems to be neither a big Khan personal vote or a big anti-Khan personal vote (except maybe in Brent and Harrow, but I think the difference there is Dismore's personal vote), as the Khan/Labour votes move in step. People have seemingly just shrugged off all the "you once met an Islamist" stuff and voted on a party basis.

Anecdotally I did meet a few Labour voters on the doorstep yesterday in inner London who said they weren't voting for Khan.

However I also met a large number of very enthusiastic Khan supporters who hadn't always voted in the past and some who were splitting their vote - including one who said she has voted for Khan as Mayor and UKIP in the party list! In the event the two trends seem to have balanced each other, leaving Khan on roughly the same vote share as the Party.

Universal view was that Goldsmith had fought a poor campaign, completely failed to play to his strengths on the environment etc and recipients of the "family jewelry" letters felt insulted and angry.

It may also be the case that the Goldsmith vote energised dormant anti-Tory voters who were reminded of why they do not like the party. It sort of happened in Oldham East too to an extent: the UKIP campaign actually got Labour voters to come out and vote.

Agreed.

Coming out for Leave was another Goldsmith blunder - London leans heavily to Remain and going for Leave lost him any chance of vocal support from business or the City.
    Anti-Eu, anti-heathrow, less than pro uber, wrong side of all those arguments for London.
    http://www.gatwickobviously.com/
    I'm sitting in a sunny square in Nyons, Provence. I got here by Luton Airport.

The main London airport should be Luton. 20 minutes from St Pancras (and the Eurostar). Near the M25 and the M1. On the right side of Londom for the rest of the country. Surrounded by poor Labour-voting, Khan-supporting immigrants who won't complain about noise, and would welcome the extra work. It ticks every box and avoids every pitfall.

Why can't it be Luton??
    Plus we'd get to bulldoze the whole of Luton and pretend it never existed. It's a real win/win scenario.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    SeanT said:

The main London airport should be Luton. 20 minutes from St Pancras (and the Eurostar). Near the M25 and the M1. On the right side of Londom for the rest of the country. Surrounded by poor Labour-voting, Khan-supporting immigrants who won't complain about noise, and would welcome the extra work. It ticks every box and avoids every pitfall.

Why can't it be Luton??

Yes, it seems strange that Luton wasn't in the running.

Enjoy your olives de Nyons, appelation contrôlée. They really are very good.
  • Options
    Merton & W

Leonie Cooper (Lab) 77,340 (41.71%, +5.17%)
    David Dean (C) 73,039 (39.39%, -3.75%)
    Esther Obiri-Darko (Green) 14,682 (7.92%, +0.44%)
    Adrian Hyyrylainen-Trett (LD) 10,732 (5.79%, -2.09%)
    Elizabeth Jones (UKIP) 8,478 (4.57%, +2.11%)
    Thamilini Kulendran (Ind) 1,142 (0.62%, -0.99%)

Lab maj 4,301 (2.32%)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Goldsmith caught in the referendum tailwinds?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Dismore now comfortably ahead for Labour in Brent and Harrow. Merton and Wandsworth still looking like a Labour gain on a slim margin (about a 3,5-4% swing to Labour there), and Redbridge like a Tory hold on an even slimmer one. Basically the core of the doughnut turned out and the outer ring is not as Tory as it was. There seems to be neither a big Khan personal vote or a big anti-Khan personal vote (except maybe in Brent and Harrow, but I think the difference there is Dismore's personal vote), as the Khan/Labour votes move in step. People have seemingly just shrugged off all the "you once met an Islamist" stuff and voted on a party basis.

Anecdotally I did meet a few Labour voters on the doorstep yesterday in inner London who said they weren't voting for Khan.

However I also met a large number of very enthusiastic Khan supporters who hadn't always voted in the past and some who were splitting their vote - including one who said she has voted for Khan as Mayor and UKIP in the party list! In the event the two trends seem to have balanced each other, leaving Khan on roughly the same vote share as the Party.

Universal view was that Goldsmith had fought a poor campaign, completely failed to play to his strengths on the environment etc and recipients of the "family jewelry" letters felt insulted and angry.

It may also be the case that the Goldsmith vote energised dormant anti-Tory voters who were reminded of why they do not like the party. It sort of happened in Oldham East too to an extent: the UKIP campaign actually got Labour voters to come out and vote.

Agreed.

Coming out for Leave was another Goldsmith blunder - London leans heavily to Remain and going for Leave lost him any chance of vocal support from business or the City.
    Anti-Eu, anti-heathrow, less than pro uber, wrong side of all those arguments for London.

Why can't it be Luton??
    Khan doesn't get his support from immigrants - he's got good support right across the board.

London is trending Labour, year-on-year. 50% by GE 2020 is possible. I'm sure you're proud of that fact being a Londoner?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    chestnut said:

Yup, being a Leaver was a 'courageous' choice in London.

Especially as EU citizens can vote in this, but not the referendum.
  • Options
    Lab hold Lambeth & Southwark. Boring
  • Options

Merton & W

Lab maj 4,301 (2.32%)

Yay!

Cracking result for Labour - my vote did count after all!
  • Options
    edited May 2016

chestnut said:

Agreed. He would have got the leave voters' second preferences anyway if he had been a reluctant remainer.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Combine that with the residual damage of Leavers in places like Bexley and Havering giving the Tory box a miss.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I believe the ENS is only calculated from local election data, not any other parliament/assembly/mayoral position.
    That means it totally ignores anything happening in London.
  • Options
    "As I said during the election campaign, the SNP manifesto does not give Nicola Sturgeon a mandate for a second independence referendum.

"Now that she has failed to win a majority, whatever claims the SNP were pursuing with regard to constitutional brinkmanship over the next five years have now been utterly shredded.

"No mandate, no majority, no cause - the SNP must now let Scotland move on.
    http://stv.tv/news/politics/1353178-ruth-davidson-snp-has-no-mandate-for-second-referendum/
  • Options

SeanT said:

Why can't it be Luton??

pah, just a poncy way of saying pork scratchings.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    SeanT said:

Agreed.

Why can't it be Luton??
    Hmmm.... www.lutonobviously.com
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    SeanT said:

Agreed.

Why can't it be Luton??
    Pure snobbery? Remember those Campari ads from the 1970s starring (if that is the right word in this context) Lorraine Chase?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Why can't it be Luton??

No, that's grattons de Lyons

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grattons#/media/File:Grattons_lyonnais.jpg
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Constant u-turns is an inevitable feature of a government with a majority of 12 and a glittering array of would-be divas on its backbenches.

On schools though it was a bloody stupid idea, with no real upside.
    Oh I completely agree. Sometimes the would-be divas are right.
    Don't misunderestimate Osborne who might come out of this U-turn on academy schools smelling of roses.

Regression to the mean is Osborne's friend here. Even if turning schools into academies has no effect whatsoever -- good or bad -- then normal fluctuations would see some bad schools get better and some good schools get worse.

But the partial U-turn means the good schools which get worse by chance won't be academies, which "proves" Osborne was right in the first place, and the bad schools that by chance get better will be academies which also proves the government was right.

Pure snake oil.
    What is the Government for, Mummy?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

RobD said:

It does three years in four, since the London boroughs have all-out elections every fourth year.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,627
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Combine that with the residual damage of Leavers in places like Bexley and Havering giving the Tory box a miss.
    Personally, I think Goldsmith's position on the EU had little to do with the result.

He was a shy, low-profile candidate who ran a lacklustre campaign with limited policy offerings for Londoners.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Yes, I agree - there were plenty of pitfalls and he avoided them all with a careful, positive and disciplined effort. I thought his comment of regret that Goldsmith, who he knew as a liberal cosmopolitan, had allowed his campaign to slip into anti-Muslim stereotyping was far better than if he'd denounced Goldsmith personally. It pretty much defused the issue.

It's a lesson for Crosby and his mates - you can't win an election *only* by shouting "Islamist!" "friends with extremists!" and the like.

Khan ran a very good campaign and was a good choice for Labour, albeit a bit dull. But Zac was even more dull, so that didn't matter.

The 'friends with extremists' line never really caught on. Personally I was never convinced by it, the well-argued posts by Ms Cyclefree notwithstanding. I'm much more concerned about Sadiq's daft policies on housing and transport fares, but if Londoners want to vote for less housing and worse transport, who am I to complain?

As @anothernick and @FrancisUrquhart pointed out, Zac managed to be on the wrong side of some crucial issues. I'm surprised his campaign wasn't better; he never really made the leap from what works in Richmond to what would work in London as a whole.
    Reason he couldn't make the leap out of Richmond...he got confused by the tube ;-)
    No. His chauffer couldn't find Richmond Underground Station. I suppose he could have used the 65 bus, then he would have to find his local bus stop.
    Probably because it's actually above ground, serving the main line railway as well?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Why can't it be Luton??

No, that's grattons de Lyons

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grattons#/media/File:Grattons_lyonnais.jpg
    LOL

it's odd Richard, I could see you waxing lyrical about grattons de Lyons, pork scratchings not so much :-)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

And having a prominent Remainer as Mayor will certainly boost the already strong Remain vote in London and perhaps elsewhere - Khan will bring out voters who would otherwise have stayed at home.
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes, but that's how it's calculated.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Dismore now comfortably ahead for Labour in Brent and Harrow. Merton and Wandsworth still looking like a Labour gain on a slim margin (about a 3,5-4% swing to Labour there), and Redbridge like a Tory hold on an even slimmer one. Basically the core of the doughnut turned out and the outer ring is party basis.

Agreed.

Why can't it be Luton??
    Plus we'd get to bulldoze the whole of Luton and pretend it never existed. It's a real win/win scenario.

Isn't Luton Airport on top of a hill pretty close by the M1? I'd have thought that expansion to any great degree is constrained geographically. It would be handy though.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

BBC Council results site is dire.

Always used to be able to see gains or losses by council, now all you get is a link to the relevant council's homepage! Most of these don;t have "gain" or "loss" just who won.

How pathetic.

BBC probably scared they would have to report 150+ Labour losses.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Be interesting to know how they calculated these numbers.
  • Options

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Personally, I think Goldsmith's position on the EU had little to do with the result.

He was a shy, low-profile candidate who ran a lacklustre campaign with limited policy offerings for Londoners.
    I think there's perhaps a case for the general Tory position as epitomised by Cameron causing him some difficulties with people drifting to UKIP

I can also see the point TSE is making about pro-remain London not necessarily welcoming his position.

For all that this provisional result is basically a re-run of the 2015 GE so perhaps absolutely nothing of any substance or personal regard has made any difference?

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 7m7 minutes ago
    London Mayoralty, provisional result so far:
    Khan: 44%
    Goldsmith: 35%
    Berry: 6%
    Pidgeon: 5%
    Whittle: 4%
    Walker: 2%
    (96.6% verified)

• Options
    murali_s said:

Merton & W

Lab maj 4,301 (2.32%)

Yay!

Dixie's very quiet today - a sure Tory hold, he said? Labour not bothering?

It's hard to judge these things, to be fair - cf. Broxtowe 2015, blush.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This is tricky for NICOLA. How can she placate her howling cybernats, desperate for indyref2, yet acknowledge political reality - that it's not going to happen in this parliament?

The Zoomers have moved passed anger and grief and are now trying bargaining

@Frasergrant: Now that the yoon has turned blue and Kezia is Ruthie's gimp- anyone reckon some slabs may see the value in Indy after all?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

I think there's perhaps a case for the general Tory position as epitomised by Cameron causing him some difficulties with people drifting to UKIP

I can also see the point TSE is making about pro-remain London not necessarily welcoming his position.

For all that this provisional result is basically a re-run of the 2015 GE so perhaps absolutely nothing of any substance or personal regard has made any difference?

(96.6% verified)

It would be a paradox if London is an area of Conservative outperformance, this time.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Apologies if this has already been remarked upon, but as the results of London's second biggest elections (after GE) become clear, today's West End Final edition of the Standard devotes its front page to... Boaty McBoatface. It seems you have to look a couple of pages in to see how their anointed one did, first seeing a story about calls for Corbyn to quit after "poor results". I guess you have to give some credit for brazening it out.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sounds all quite welcome.
  • Options
    Shadsy trying to recoup some losses...

@LadPolitics: Suppose it's about time to have some odds on the 2020 London Mayoral election.
    100/1 Ken Livingstone, anyone? https://t.co/d1Sg33axVt
  • Options

murali_s said:

Merton & W

Lab maj 4,301 (2.32%)

Yay!

Dixie's very quiet today - a sure Tory hold, he said? Labour not bothering?

It's hard to judge these things, to be fair - cf. Broxtowe 2015, blush.
    I still maintain Dixie was trolling us... :p
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Cumbria PCC
    McCall (Con) 41,345
    Watson (Lab) 30,437

Con hold

Ind hold Gloucestershire PCC
  • Options
    @ScottyNational: Investigation : SNP to launch investigation into those constituencies they lost to ask why more giant posters of Nicola were not used
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I.am not sure Jezza is very wise to keep linking labour with extremists...surely he would be better saying Tories ran a very negative campaign etc etc etc, but he said numerous times in his speech about Tories claims of Sadiq connections to extremists.

I thought the advice was always never repeat your opponents allegations rather reframe them. Cameron going in about offshore tax.havens just makes people think he is a tax dodger.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Always used to be able to see gains or losses by council, now all you get is a link to the relevant council's homepage! Most of these don;t have "gain" or "loss" just who won.

How pathetic.

More like lack of resources.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Lab hold Nottinghamshire PCC
    Con hold Hertfordshire PCC
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2016

I.am not sure Jezza is very wise to keep linking labour with extremists...surely he would be better saying Tories ran a very negative campaign etc etc etc, but he said numerous times in his speech about Tories claims of Sadiq connections to extremists.

I think it’s the first rule of political interviews – don’t repeat the accusation levied against you.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    surbiton said:

weejonnie said:

How pathetic.

Yet they are collating the results since you see them on the TV. The effort required to put them on the website would be small.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

weejonnie said:

How pathetic.

Yet they are collating the results since you see them on the TV. The effort required to put them on the website would be small.
    You would hope in this day & age that it would be automated.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Which was a big surprise for those of us who had expected him to be a much stronger opponent. He had never seemed shy before - when he was selected he seemed to be well outside the Tory mainstream - a committed environmental campaigner and photogenic to boot - it was easy to imagine his appeal encompassing many voters who did not consider themselves natural Tories.

But his campaign seems to have almost been designed to distance him from his past self and foster the idea that he was, in fact, just another rich Tory boy who had little understanding of ordinary Londoners. So it's hardly surprising that the voters took the same view.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

(96.6% verified)

I think the number of Tory voters in London who abstained, or switched votes, because of Zac's position on the EU is very small. The Leave vote still polls between 36-42% in London, above Scotland and NI. There may have been a few naturally centre-left Boris supporters for whom it reinforced their switch back to Khan but I doubt it was decisive.

Plenty of Tory leavers on here have been heavily critical and apathetic about Zac's campaign or voting for him.

The result is good for the pollsters, who got it pretty much bang on in London whether by luck or judgement.
  • Options
    Warwickshire PCC: Con gain from Ind (who didn't stand again)
  • Options

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Which was a big surprise for those of us who had expected him to be a much stronger opponent. He had never seemed shy before - when he was selected he seemed to be well outside the Tory mainstream - a committed environmental campaigner and photogenic to boot - it was easy to imagine his appeal encompassing many voters who did not consider themselves natural Tories.

But his campaign seems to have almost been designed to distance him from his past self and foster the idea that he was, in fact, just another rich Tory boy who had little understanding of ordinary Londoners. So it's hardly surprising that the voters took the same view.
    This might be very unfair, but to me it looked like Zac's campaign never really started.

The only times I noticed him was when photographed out and about with Boris, where it was he who got all the attention and Zac looked like his sheepish bag carrier.
  • Options

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

(96.6% verified)

I think the number of Tory voters in London who abstained, or switched votes, because of Zac's position on the EU is very small. The Leave vote still polls between 36-42% in London, above Scotland and NI. There may have been a few naturally centre-left Boris supporters for whom it reinforced their switch back to Khan but I doubt it was decisive.

Plenty of Tory leavers on here have been heavily critical and apathetic about Zac's campaign or voting for him.

The result is good for the pollsters, who got it pretty much bang on in London whether by luck or judgement.
    Having seen comments here and elsewhere - Tory apathy seems to be the key factor. Unless you really cared, why bother? IIRC the Merton/Wandsworth seat had 8k+ Kipper votes, that's another reason Zac missed the cut.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

(96.6% verified)

I doubt it was just eu, but he was on the wrong side of the argument (for London) on a number of issues. Doubt it made a massive difference for converting people against but won't have had people rushing to the polls either.
  • Options

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

(96.6% verified)

Having seen comments here and elsewhere - Tory apathy seems to be the key factor. Unless you really cared, why bother? IIRC the Merton/Wandsworth seat had 8k+ Kipper votes, that's another reason Zac missed the cut.
    This Mayoral election is the first election I've sat out since the 1999 Euros...
  • Options

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Don't Unseat Jeremy Corbyn Association.
  • Options
    Ken Livingstone is asked about the impact the anti-Semitism row - and his comments about Hitler in a BBC radio interview - has had on the ability of Jewish Londoners to back Sadiq Khan.

Mr Livingston says Sadiq Khan "was 12 years old when Lenni Brenner published his book about the deal between the Zionist movement and the Nazis".
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

I agree. Goldsmith was a candidate who simply didn't play to his strengths and was utterly inept at making much of Khan's weaknesses. In relation to the latter he focused on the wrong things and followed through in a crude way.

Let's see what Khan makes of the role. I remain to be convinced that he will do what he has promised re taking on extremists - I doubt he will do anything much, if at all. Doing nothing is not good enough IMO. Anything that does not push back hard against the extremists is a big missed opportunity.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

I agree. Goldsmith was a candidate who simply didn't play to his strengths and was utterly inept at making much of Khan's weaknesses. In relation to the latter he focused on the wrong things and followed through in a crude way.

Let's see what Khan makes of the role. I remain to be convinced that he will do what he has promised re taking on extremists - I doubt he will do anything much, if at all. Doing nothing is not good enough IMO. Anything that does not push back hard against the extremists is a big missed opportunity.

He isn't going to change the habit of a lifetime is he.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Why is impossible for the SNP to put a independence referendum bill before parliament?
  • Options
    GLA (Bexley/Bromley)

Turnout 41% (2012:38%).

The biggest gainers in actual votes were UKIP - up nearly 20,000
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Nottinghamshire

Round 1

TIPPING Paddy Labour Party 80926
    HARPER Tony The Conservative Party Candidate 48155
    LOI Fran UK Independence Party (UKIP) 20030
    BATES Tony Independent 14579
    ZADROZNY Jason Bernard Independent 7164

Round 2

Tipping 89749
    Harper 56105

Round 1 in Broxtowe was Lab 7882 Con 7378
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Ken Livingstone is asked about the impact the anti-Semitism row - and his comments about Hitler in a BBC radio interview - has had on the ability of Jewish Londoners to back Sadiq Khan.

Mr Livingston says Sadiq Khan "was 12 years old when Lenni Brenner published his book about the deal between the Zionist movement and the Nazis".

I genuinely have no idea what point he even thinks he is making there. It's bizarre. It's like his brain is trying to get his mouth to chant "HitlerHITLERHitler" and it's all he can do to force some other words out regardless of how little sense they make.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Road to Damascus conversion...

Last year Nuneaton resident Clare Golby was interviewed by the BBC as a “Labour supporter” who “voted for Jeremy Corbyn”. Since then she decided to run for the local council and today she has been elected… as a Tory! Even worse, she won her seat off Labour.

http://order-order.com/2016/05/06/tory-for-corbyn-elected-in-nuneaton/
  • Options

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

(96.6% verified)

This Mayoral election is the first election I've sat out since the 1999 Euros...
    I'd probably too if I still lived up there. A greenie anti Uber blah blah TINO - nah.
  • Options
    Turnout in Merton and Wandsworth up by over 30,000 voters.

Lab vote up from 55k in 2012 to 77k.
  • Options
    If I heard it correctly Andrew Pierce is making up Tory gains in Wales right now.
This discussion has been closed.