Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    CD13 said:

Roger,

"OT One of the most significant political events of the last 24 hours was Nigel Lawson's claim on Question Time that a vote for 'Remain' would mean 77 million Turks flooding into this country."

It's a battle to see who can make the daftest claim.

And what's wrong with 77 million Turks coming? Think of the boost to GDP and the millions of jobs created. I hope you're not a racist.

That reminds me ... was the 3 million jobs lost claim based on the loss of immigration which might occur? If not, Remain have missed a trick. If leaving would cost 77 million more people then they could count in the loss of GDP in their figures.

Ah. bless.

There's an appalling story of female subjugation in the Times - edicts from Blackburn mosque. This stuff needs stamping out. I await anything being done about it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    taffys said:

Tom said:

TGOHF said:

saw on twitter that if you look at the source code for the London elects page you can see the %s.

Sadiq Aman KHAN Labour Party 46%
    Zac GOLDSMITH The Conservative Party Candidate 34%
    Sian Rebecca BERRY Green Party 6%
    Caroline Valerie PIDGEON London Liberal Democrats 4%
    Peter Robin WHITTLE UK Independence Party (UKIP) 4%
    Sophie WALKER Women's Equality Party 2%
    George GALLOWAY Respect (George Galloway) 1%
    Paul GOLDING Britain First - Putting British people first 1%
    Lee Eli HARRIS Cannabis is Safer than Alcohol 1%
    Prince ZYLINSKI Independent 1%
    David FURNESS British National Party 1%
    Ankit LOVE One Love Party 0%
    Too close to call. Sniggers. Not a good result for Crosby, Stills and Nash. Maybe Brois was just a good candidate and Ken past his sell by date. And ed really was crap. Or maybe it was electoral genius and use of Facebook.
    Team bash Boris (chairman TSE) really should take a lap. He's a huge vote winner for the tories.
    I'm Deputy Chairman. Chairman of Team bash Boris is Matthew Parris.

Even leavers on here say they won't vote for him as leader.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Nicola Sturgeon has a bad hair life. Lego.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Taxi for Zac.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    Roger said:

AM. Very quick out of the blocks. Is it one of several you prepared earlier?

JohnLoony. If the London bar chart is meaningless at the half way point that's lucky for Zak. I'd guess at the moment it looks about 60/40

Apologies I was looking at the London assembly results
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

taffys said:

Tom said:

TGOHF said:

saw on twitter that if you look at the source code for the London elects page you can see the %s.

Too close to call. Sniggers. Not a good result for Crosby, Stills and Nash. Maybe Brois was just a good candidate and Ken past his sell by date. And ed really was crap. Or maybe it was electoral genius and use of Facebook.
    Team bash Boris (chairman TSE) really should take a lap. He's a huge vote winner for the tories.

Can you put me down for some kind of honorary post pls.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

I've been watching BBC for over an hour and haven't seen a single Conservative. Is it a Conservative free-zone, or is the BBC just up to their usual tricks?

Normally this would mean CCHQ has not put anyone up, and has warned off freelance rentaquote backbenchers. That they can then blame the BBC is a bonus.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

taffys said:

Tom said:

TGOHF said:

Would you like to be honorary Co-President alongside David Cameron and George Osborne?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Did corbyn really just say labour 'hung on'.......?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Did corbyn really just say labour 'hung on'.......?

Oh yes.
  • Options

I've been watching BBC for over an hour and haven't seen a single Conservative. Is it a Conservative free-zone, or is the BBC just up to their usual tricks?

Normally this would mean CCHQ has not put anyone up, and has warned off freelance rentaquote backbenchers. That they can then blame the BBC is a bonus.
    Cons did meh, except in Scotland, Lab headlines are about Scotland, SNP did OK, the rest nowhere.

The narrative is all about Jezza. Why intrude?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Jezza claiming famous victory in Sheffield Brightside - it's been Labour since 1935 hasn't it?

The Labour voter turnout was insultingly low for the widow.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

taffys said:

Tom said:

TGOHF said:

Would you like to be honorary Co-President alongside David Cameron and George Osborne?
    Primus inter pares..
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,046

TGOHF said:

Thrashed after all then
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @DPJHodges: Remember that slogan from the leadership election? "Vote Corbyn. He'll cling on". No. Me neither.

@LOS_Fisher: A Labour shadow minister texts: "Jeremy says we hung on. A year on from our worst general elxn result, what exactly are we hanging on to?"
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Reckless and Hamilton back for UKIP in Wales. How long before the first scandal?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Roger I wrote this in about half an hour this morning. I don't take long to put pieces together when I know what I want to say. All of these were things I'd had in mind to look out for in advance so in a sense you're right that I had alternative versions in my head depending on how the results panned out.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    BBC confronts John McDonnell with Labour memo.

Anyone have a clue what this is about, there’s no write-up, just a video I can’t watch. TIA.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Anyone have a clue what this is about, there’s no write-up, just a video I can’t watch. TIA.

It is the Labour spin lines - which happened to fall into the hands of the BBC. Key points being 'it is too early for Jeremy's leadership to be bringing success, we need more time' and telling them to compare the result to 2015 rather than 2012

These were exactly the lines McDonnell was spouting - and he wasn't happy to have it pointed out by Laura K

(The BBC then spent much of the night comparing to 2015 - even though Laura K said that was a bogus comparison)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Just to say, it appears there has been a small swing TO LABOUR in England compared to this point in the last parliament (2011).

That points to a hung parliament in 2020. I'm sure the Tories will carry on being obliviously complacent though.
  • Options

I see Mr Burnham has managed to get one of his many faces on the news!

Up to their usual tricks. They use a modified Voight-Kampff machine which is very effective
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Shhhhh

@SophyRidgeSky: Some in Labour pointing out they're doing worse than Ed Miliband did four years ago, which wasn't good enough to win the general election

But doing slightly better than Miliband was at the like-for-like comparison point.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    @oxfordsimon – many thanks. :lol:
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Nearly choked on my cornflakes at the suggestion that Labour are thinking of putting up Andy Burnham for Manchester Combined Authority Mayor.

A Scouser? Well known Liverpool fan?

He's Everton, not Liverpool.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

It is the Labour spin lines - which happened to fall into the hands of the BBC. Key points being 'it is too early for Jeremy's leadership to be bringing success, we need more time' and telling them to compare the result to 2015 rather than 2012

These were exactly the lines McDonnell was spouting - and he wasn't happy to have it pointed out by Laura K

(The BBC then spent much of the night comparing to 2015 - even though Laura K said that was a bogus comparison)
    My recollection was that Laura K was gushing about getting her hands on the memo and McConnell coolly replying that, yeah he wrote it.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Danny565 said:

Just to say, it appears there has been a small swing TO LABOUR in England compared to this point in the last parliament (2011).

That points to a hung parliament in 2020. I'm sure the Tories will carry on being obliviously complacent though.

#rattled
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Shhhhh

@SophyRidgeSky: Some in Labour pointing out they're doing worse than Ed Miliband did four years ago, which wasn't good enough to win the general election

But doing slightly better than Miliband was at the like-for-like comparison point.
    2012 is the like-for-like comparison point.... which is why Labour have been spinning the comparison with 2015 (which really is not like-for-like at all)
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    Scott_P said:

@KennyFarq: In any negotiations, Greens will want concessions on tax and fracking. My gut feeling is these may a price Nicola is unwilling to pay.

Going to be hilarious when the fracking starts

Nicola should put the Green's Andy Wightman in charge of land reform legislation and watch the Tory landowners, big farmers and secret offshore-registered company owners squirm.

PS - just hope the anti-SNP alliance riposte isn't another poison pill a la the Edinburgh Trams fiasco!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Spin lines for Labour MPs to take. McDonnell's response was that he wrote it. All parties provide these memos (as Laura K acknowledged) -- small earthquake, not many dead.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Shhhhh

They've lost their majority in Wales and been dumped into third in Scotland.

These places were always the bedrock of Labour wins.

Racking up tons of votes in London isn't much of a substitute.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

I thought McDonnell dealt with the memo leak with deftness and aplomb. I don't like him - and yet I can't help quite liking him.

• Options

Danny565 said:

#rattled
    Except I was one of the most pessimistic Labourites on PB in the run-up to the 2015 election

While these results are hardly spectacular for Labour, they simply do not AT ALL support the theory that 2020 is going to be a walkover for the Tories. Remember, they barely scraped over the majority line last year, and they now look to have deteriorated since this point in the last parliament.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    The "fear factor" does work in elections, but it has to resonate and be of importance to enough voters to matter. The problem with the Labour anti-semetism hysteria, that has been a weird coalition of Tory, Tory/right wing blogger, Blairite LFOI wing, media co-ordinated attacks is that in Britain being anti-Israel and anti-Zionist is not equated with anti-semetism in the same way as it is in the USA. So it doesnt have the same impact on politics and elections outside the Establishment and media bubble. Britain is more "European" on the Israel-Palestinian issue rather than being 99.9% pro-Zionist, pro-Israel like in the US. Also the Jewish population of Britain is between 250,000 and 300,000 and heavily concentrated in very few areas. These are the voters most likely to turn away from Labour over the anti-semetism allegations, but their numbers are not substantial enough to have a major impact. The Tories have made a major mistake going so hard against Khan and their blatant Islamophobia. Muslims are a fast growing segment of the population with current population at officially 3million.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

@KennyFarq: In any negotiations, Greens will want concessions on tax and fracking. My gut feeling is these may a price Nicola is unwilling to pay.

Going to be hilarious when the fracking starts

Nicola should put the Green's Andy Wightman in charge of land reform legislation and watch the Tory landowners, big farmers and secret offshore-registered company owners squirm.

PS - just hope the anti-SNP alliance riposte isn't another poison pill a la the Edinburgh Trams fiasco!
    A sure fire way of further depressing Scottish growth over the Uk. Come to Scotland and we will steal your assets.
  • Options

I watched it last night and it seemed about as impartial as you could get other than using the sub standard Nicky Morgan and John McDonnel but I doubt that was the BBC's choice
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Shhhhh

2012 is the like-for-like comparison point.... which is why Labour have been spinning the comparison with 2015 (which really is not like-for-like at all)
    2012 is not the like-for-like comparison point, because that was two years into a parliament, where governments literally ALWAYS do worse than they do just one year after an election where there was still a honeymoon effect.

2015 is not a like-for-like comparison point either, since equally oppositions will always do better in any kind of mid-term year than in a general election year. The only relevant comparison is 2011: the same timescale since the previous GE and before the next one, and the first outings of Corbyn and Miliband as leader.
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: Ruth Davidson triumph kills off Indyref II and puts SNP back in its box. (Me for @CapX on #SE2016) https://t.co/ZF7YOiPaOb via @CapX
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,414

Nearly choked on my cornflakes at the suggestion that Labour are thinking of putting up Andy Burnham for Manchester Combined Authority Mayor.

A Scouser? Well known Liverpool fan?

He's Everton, not Liverpool.
    Yes, that did strike me as a bit odd.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited May 2016
    Mr Eagles,

Having voted Tory (with teeth gritted) for the first ever time yesterday (and probably the only time), I now feel I can criticise your (our?) candidate for London Mayor. If you base your campaign on a false accusation, you're always going to be in trouble.

Sadiq comes over as secular (as did Saddam in Iraq). He may flirt with extremists but only because they're useful to him. He doesn't have principles so accusing him of being an extremist was always going to fail. He'll do what is needed to get elected.

Accusing him of being shallow would be fair enough, and that's why I think he'll not do much in London. He'll be an administrator and use it as a spring board to a leadership challenge when Jezza does the decent thing and retires to spend more time with his lunatic friends.
  • Options
    Wales Comparison of polls to results (BBC). Yougov look accurate on Con,Lab, Plaid and LD. Not for UKIP.

YouGov in Wales have final figures of
    Yougov Constituency: CON 21%, LAB 33%, LD 8%, Plaid 19%, UKIP 16%;
    Actual so far Con 21%, Lab 34.7%, LD 7.7%, Plaid 20.5%, UKIP 12.5%.

Yougov regional CON 20%, LAB 31%, LD 6%, Plaid 20%, UKIP 16%.
    Actual so far Con 18.3%, Lab 31.6, LD 6.7%, Plaid 20.8%, UKIP 13.3%.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

Having voted Tory (with teeth gritted) for the first ever time yesterday (and probably the only time), I now feel I can criticise your (our?) candidate for London Mayor. If you base your campaign on a false accusation, you're always going to be in trouble.

Sadiq comes over as secular (as did Saddam in Iraq). He may flirt with extremists but only because they're useful to him. He doesn't have principles so accusing him of being an extremist was always going to fail. He'll do what is needed to get elected.

Accusing him of being shallow would be fair enough, and that's why I think he'll not do much in London. He'll be an administrator and use it as a spring board to a leadership challenge when Jezza does the decent thing and retires to spend more time with his lunatic friends.

Welcome to the club, I've criticised him too.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

#rattled
    Except I was one of the most pessimistic Labourites on PB in the run-up to the 2015 election

While these results are hardly spectacular for Labour, they simply do not AT ALL support the theory that 2020 is going to be a walkover for the Tories. Remember, they barely scraped over the majority line last year, and they now look to have deteriorated since this point in the last parliament.
    There's a difference between "walkover" and "win".

Even Corbyn is talking of "holding on". Benn says there's a long way to go, etc, etc.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Ruth is a goddess. That is all we know and all we need to know.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    I feel another European ban coming on...

http://tinyurl.com/gtm9k8l
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Shhhhh

2012 is not the like-for-like comparison point, because that was two years into a parliament, where governments literally ALWAYS do worse than they do just one year after an election where there was still a honeymoon effect.

2015 is not a like-for-like comparison point either, since equally oppositions will always do better in any kind of mid-term year than in a general election year. The only relevant comparison is 2011: the same timescale since the previous GE and before the next one, and the first outings of Corbyn and Miliband as leader.
    In 2011 Labour gained over 800 seats so this year is pretty poor in comparison
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Tories only chance of a recovery in Scotland is to rebrand as a Scottish only party and ditch Unionist...

Turnips
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

#rattled

Even Corbyn is talking of "holding on". Benn says there's a long way to go, etc, etc.
    What do you define as "win"? The Tories are still favourites to be biggest party, but the swing from 2011 points to a hung parliament with the Tories having to rely on the Lib Dems or Northern Ireland parties to survive.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Zac threw away a lot with that dirty, divisive campaign.

Previously, he came across as a rare dignified thoughtful and inclusive kind of tory with appeal outside of the party. He had the opportunity to lose with dignity, but chose to attempt a long shot win by going extremely negative.

I suspect the problem really lies with Crosby and the new industry of global election consultants - they don't care about the long-term toxicity absorbed by the candidate or party - the strategy is entirely focussed on getting the best result from the election in hand.

Pity Zac. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves politics altogether at the next election.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    DavidL said:

It's a long way off but how might the tories' Scottish boost translate into Westminster seats Mr L - an extra one or two?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Roger

'OT One of the most significant political events of the last 24 hours was Nigel Lawson's claim on Question Time that a vote for 'Remain' would mean 77 million Turks flooding into this country. If they are REALLY gong to run with this-the posters almost design themselves-then we are going to face a very unpleasant two months. I fear that someone like Lawson wouldn't have said that in those terms if he hadn't been given the go ahead'

In 2004 we were told there would only be 13,000 immigrants from eastern Europe,that went well.

• Options
    @helenpidd: The BNP just beat Labour into second place in Pendle's Marsden ward. It was a Tory hold (473 votes to BNP's 437; Lab 292).
  • Options

CD13 said:

Roger,

"OT One of the most significant political events of the last 24 hours was Nigel Lawson's claim on Question Time that a vote for 'Remain' would mean 77 million Turks flooding into this country."

And what's wrong with 77 million Turks coming? Think of the boost to GDP and the millions of jobs created. I hope you're not a racist.

That reminds me ... was the 3 million jobs lost claim based on the loss of immigration which might occur? If not, Remain have missed a trick. If leaving would cost 77 million more people then they could count in the loss of GDP in their figures.

Ah. bless.

There's an appalling story of female subjugation in the Times - edicts from Blackburn mosque. This stuff needs stamping out. I await anything being done about it.
    "I await anything being done about it"
    Probably when hell freezes over.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Kirklees Lab 12Con 6 LD 3 Green 1 Ind 1

Con gain 1 from LDem 1 from Green
    Labour gain 1 from LDem
    LDem gain 1 from Con and 1 from Labour
  • Options
    Pong said:

Previously, he came across as a rare dignified thoughtful and inclusive kind of tory with appeal outside of the party. He had the opportunity to lose with dignity, but chose to attempt a long shot win by going extremely negative.

I suspect the problem really lies with Crosby and the new industry of global election consultants - they don't care about the long-term toxicity absorbed by the candidate or party - the strategy is entirely focussed on getting the best result from the election in hand.

Pity Zac. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves politics altogether at the next election.

He had no answer to the LHR question - and generally too wet really.
  • Options

I see Mr Burnham has managed to get one of his many faces on the news!

Has Burnham started supporting one of the manchester clubs?
    innocent face.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

You did manage to grab *some* sleep last night I hope David.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), Goldsmith was a wet lettuce trying to be a menace.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pong said:

what's LHR?
    Something to do with housing?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pong said:

I don't care if Zac loses - he was a very lacklustre candidate with an even more lacklustre campaign. The final messaging wouldn't have been my choice. I don't like Sadiq at all - but there's not much to choose between them on the plodding stakes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

taffys said:

Tom said:

TGOHF said:

Primus inter pares..
    You are Archbishop of Canterbury and I claim my five pounds,

Me I'm The Archbishop of Banterbury
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Danny565 said:

I think you are forgetting the little matter of the EU referendum. In the circumstances, that the Conservative vote share has held up in comparison to 2011 is remarkable.

But as I've said before, we shouldn't take too much notice of relative Lab/Con support at the moment. Wait until the referendum dust has settled.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Roger,

Ah. bless.

The best moment of this campaign for me came from the women's equality party, when they said they had 'no policy' on Sharia law.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

TGOHF said:

Pong said:

what's LHR?
    Something to do with housing?
    London Heathrow airport
  • Options

CD13 said:

Roger,

Ah. bless.

"appalling story of female subjugation"

LOL what?

Advising women not to wear pants, obey their husbands and dont travel more than 48miles without a male chaperone is female subjugation????? Even if women want and agree with such advice?
    If the 3 east london schoolgirls abided by this they wouldnt have travelled thousands of miles to join the isis in syria!!
  • Options
    Mixed night so far for Lib Dems.
    Did better than expected in Scotland but down to 1 AM in Wales.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Can someone please tell me where the SCON surge came from ? It seems to me to have happened over night after years of either flatlining or going backwards.

The explanations that Scotland wanted an effective opposition doesn't make sense considering Labour were second in most seats. I mean tories now second in Clydesdale is that normal?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Eagles,

It will probably be a one-off. Especially when Jezza goes off to embrace his manhole covers or whatever he collects. The only other case will be a Conservative vs Green vote.

Being reluctant to vote for a dotage spent in an unheated cave and living on grass, I might again vote for the dark side.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    It now appears to be:

Sadiq Aman KHAN Labour Party 45%
    Zac GOLDSMITH The Conservative Party Candidate 35%
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    The reason the Labour vote held up in England may be because there was nothing much at stake.

If it was a vote for te government then people might think a second time before voting for the socialist worker wing of Labour.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Calderdale Lab 8 Con 6 LDem 3

Con gain 1 from Lab
    Lab gain 1 from LDem
    LDem gain 1 from Lab
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Well done to Ruth. Glad I was on the Con Surge, scoffed at the NOM though, wish I'd had the balls to back the 8/1 yesterday!

It's all done for Zac, poor candidate and a low energy campaign. Hopefully we can get a better candidate in 2020 to take the fight to Labour and Khan. Hopefully my fears over Khan's judgement on Islamists aren't proven and he doesn't bring in a bunch of terrorist sympathisers into City Hall.

Nationally the Tories will be very happy, they get to shit on the new London mayor, impose Heathrow without risking their mayor going rogue and they are able to push the "vote labour get SNP" for another cycle.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

CD13 said:

Roger,

Ah. bless.

"appalling story of female subjugation" LOL what? Advising women not to wear pants, obey their husbands and dont travel more than 48miles without a male chaperone is female subjugation????? Even if women want and agree with such advice? If the 3 east london schoolgirls abided by this they wouldnt have travelled thousands of miles to join the isis in syria!!
    You should join the Labour party. They would welcome those views, sadly.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    London South West interesting. Either they've only counted Hounslow or there's a massive anti-Tory Lib Dem tactical vote for Labour going on there.

https://londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/election-results/live-count-progress-2016?contest=37
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Taffys, I missed that about the WEP and sharia, but thanks for mentioning it.

Miss Pinkrose, nothing says equality like being totally obedient to another human being because of gender.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    The tipping point was when Ruth tweeted "u ok hun?" at Cameron.
  • Options

pinkrose said:

CD13 said:

Roger,

Ah. bless.

"appalling story of female subjugation" LOL what? Advising women not to wear pants, obey their husbands and dont travel more than 48miles without a male chaperone is female subjugation????? Even if women want and agree with such advice? If the 3 east london schoolgirls abided by this they wouldnt have travelled thousands of miles to join the isis in syria!!
    That pinkrose post was so utterly depressing.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    taffys said:

DavidL said:

It's a long way off but how might the tories' Scottish boost translate into Westminster seats Mr L - an extra one or two?
    Looking at the results in more detail, I'm struck by how well the Tories did in areas that have been strong for them in the distant past but where they have consistently disappointed in more recent years.

Apart from their actual constituency wins, they got pretty close in Perthshire S (a 2% swing would win that next time) and N (5%), Angus N (4%) and S (7%), Moray and Aberdeen S (4.5%). Some very big swings versus the SNP in these seats.

With Pentlands and even Edinburgh Southern also only a 4-5% swing away now the Tories have a whole set of strong second places from which to challenge four years from today.

How much of this carries over to Westminster is an interesting question of course, where the dynamics (and boundaries) are different.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Interesting piece from Phil Collins re plots against Corbyn, and how McBride is replaying his Brownian tactics on flushing out disloyal/potential coup mongers. He flies kites and sees who bites.

The Margaret Hodge stalking horse is one of his. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/the-best-way-to-ditch-corbyn-is-just-to-wait-ntzcbrfp3
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

It will probably be a one-off. Especially when Jezza goes off to embrace his manhole covers or whatever he collects. The only other case will be a Conservative vs Green vote.

Being reluctant to vote for a dotage spent in an unheated cave and living on grass, I might again vote for the dark side.

One you defect to the dark side, you can never go back.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574

Andy Burnham in serious-face statesman mode.

What did his other face look like?
    :smiley:
    you mean he only has two faces?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    pinkrose said:

CD13 said:

Roger,

Ah. bless.

LOL what?

Advising women not to wear pants, obey their husbands and dont travel more than 48miles without a male chaperone is female subjugation????? Even if women want and agree with such advice?
    If the 3 east london schoolgirls abided by this they wouldnt have travelled thousands of miles to join the isis in syria!!

Subjugation: To make subordinate or subject to the dominion of something else.

Someone telling others what to wear, where to travel, and to obey someone else is, by definition, subjugation.

• Options
    nunu said:

Can someone please tell me where the SCON surge came from ? It seems to me to have happened over night after years of either flatlining or going backwards.

The explanations that Scotland wanted an effective opposition doesn't make sense considering Labour were second in most seats. I mean tories now second in Clydesdale is that normal?

Blame the SLAB "tax rise manifesto" ..
  • Options
    Faisal Islam

moment Downing St believed could replace Lab as SNP opposition - when saw state of Scottish Labour's ground game inside Better Together
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970

pinkrose said:

CD13 said:

Roger,

Ah. bless.

LOL what?

Someone telling others what to wear, where to travel, and to obey someone else is, by definition, subjugation.

I am not subjugating you if I tell you to wear a pink hat. I am only subjugating you if I make you do it.

• Options

Mr. Taffys, I missed that about the WEP and sharia, but thanks for mentioning it.

Miss Pinkrose, nothing says equality like being totally obedient to another human being because of gender.

If a women chooses to be obedient to her husband that is her choice. What business is it of yours, mine or anyone else's what happens in other people's marriages?
    Would you clutch your pearls over bdsm relationships, where one person chooses to be obedient to another?

Just live and let live. Muslims aren't saying you have to have the same kind of marriage as they do, so people should just mind their own business.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

#rattled

What do you define as "win"? The Tories are still favourites to be biggest party, but the swing from 2011 points to a hung parliament with the Tories having to rely on the Lib Dems or Northern Ireland parties to survive.
    The Tories would probably accept largest party and a hung parliament. Labour, however - their days of majority rule look finished for the foreseeable future. I can't help but think many of the natural Tory voters in the South have viewed these elections through the prism of the EU referendum, otherwise I would have expected to see a far bigger Tory turnout.

In the end, though, Labour surely need to be gaining seats in big numbers, though, all over the UK, to have any chance of winning a future general election. No amount of short term spin regarding the odd gain or hold can change that fact.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    oh look the Lib Dems have had a pretty decent showing in the results of the council elections so far.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Mr. Flashman (deceased), Goldsmith was a wet lettuce trying to be a menace.

The lesson of life is to always be yourself.

Zac was trying to project a different image to his personality.

Zac should have learned from Boris who never tries to be anything other than Boris.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907

Faisal Islam

moment Downing St believed could replace Lab as SNP opposition - when saw state of Scottish Labour's ground game inside Better Together

Both parties have a soft underbelly in "safe" seats. Labour are the first to have that weakness exposed.

The Tories are equally vulnerable if their opponents get their acts together.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

I thought McDonnell dealt with the memo leak with deftness and aplomb. I don't like him - and yet I can't help quite liking him.

It's funny, I don't find disliking him difficult at all. But he is way more skilled and polished than Corbyn. He even looks vaguely serious in a suit.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Unionists who don't want another referendum seems to match the votes cast quite well.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,337

Faisal Islam

They have a ground game?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Jason said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

#rattled

The Tories would probably accept largest party and a hung parliament. Labour, however - their days of majority rule look finished for the foreseeable future. I can't help but think many of the natural Tory voters in the South have viewed these elections through the prism of the EU referendum, otherwise I would have expected to see a far bigger Tory turnout.

In the end, though, Labour surely need to be gaining seats in big numbers, though, all over the UK, to have any chance of winning a future general election. No amount of short term spin regarding the odd gain or hold can change that fact.
    Michael Foot achieved 1000 seats 1 year into his leadership then went on to crushing defeat at GE1983. Corbyn has about 750, he is unelectable
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    In case you were wondering who's won today:

@paulwaugh · 2m2 minutes ago

Jon Trickett, the man who ran Labour's English local election campaign, warns Corbyn critics :"It really is time to put up or shut up" #bbc

• Options
    taffys said:

pinkrose said:

CD13 said:

Roger,

Ah. bless.

That pinkrose post was so utterly depressing.
    Yes. Thank goodness I have the ignore widgit and pinkrose is a new member.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

pinkrose said:

CD13 said:

Roger,

Ah. bless.

LOL what?

I am not subjugating you if I tell you to wear a pink hat. I am only subjugating you if I make you do it.

But if culturally I am expected to follow your pronouncements, then that is effectively making someone do it.

• Options
    So does anyone know what the rules are for the SNP leadership challenge?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

You did manage to grab *some* sleep last night I hope David.
    About 1 hour this morning. I have a meeting at 2.30 at which I am really going to be firing on all cylinders. Not.
This discussion has been closed.