Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    London Lib Dems in 5th place in London Assembly votes beind UKIP and Greens.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

So does anyone know what the rules are for the SNP leadership challenge?

Not sure, but it probably involves Tossing the Caber or Curling....
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited May 2016
    So 7 seats for UKIP in W Assembly - Labour largest party but 2 seats short of majority
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    pinkrose said:

Mr. Taffys, I missed that about the WEP and sharia, but thanks for mentioning it.

Miss Pinkrose, nothing says equality like being totally obedient to another human being because of gender.

If a women chooses to be obedient to her husband that is her choice. What business is it of yours, mine or anyone else's what happens in other people's marriages?
    Would you clutch your pearls over bdsm relationships, where one person chooses to be obedient to another?

Just live and let live. Muslims aren't saying you have to have the same kind of marriage as they do, so people should just mind their own business.
    I see someone has invented time travel and has brought someone back from 952AD.
  • Options
    LayneLayne Posts: 163
    Interesting to see left wingers down thread saying we should take a "live and let live" approach to women being second class citizens in their own homes. How far the left has fallen.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369

So 7 seats for UKIP in W Assembly - Labour largest party but 2 seats short of majority

Mark Reckless and Hamilton in the Welsh Assembly - you couldn't make it up
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    taffys said:

DavidL said:

Ruth is a goddess. That is all we know and all we need to know.

It's a long way off but how might the tories' Scottish boost translate into Westminster seats Mr L - an extra one or two?
    Good chance of 3 more I would say. 2 more in the borders, one each side of Mundell and the Eastwood equivalent where the Labour vote will get squeezed even tighter now it is clear who the Unionist is. Edinburgh and Aberdeenshire look a lot trickier.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

oh look the Lib Dems have had a pretty decent showing in the results of the council elections so far.

If standing still after circa 7 years of losses is rated as decent then I agree. More like has now hit the bottom range in council results.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Miss Pinkrose, if it's an individual couple making a free choice, fair enough.

If a couple within a group (whether that's a religion or, to use your example, a fetish club) is socially/culturally obliged to follow the group's collective perspective on marriage, that's a different kettle of monkeys.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @LauraSRobinson: Tip for Corbynistas new to the game. The goal is to win seats. Lots of them. Standing still or walking backwards = Tory government.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Scott_P said:
    If I'm reading those odds right, then the tweet doesn't make sense.

What does it mean, scott?

How can the odds be 100% accurate if the favourite lost in 40% of the constituencies?
  • Options
    Interesting

@GuardianAnushka: One Labour MP (group: hostile) told me they hoped that Sadiq would win so he would be an "alternative leadership" figure.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Layne said:

Interesting to see left wingers down thread saying we should take a "live and let live" approach to women being second class citizens in their own homes. How far the left has fallen.

And yet people still vote for them in droves. Rather depressing.
  • Options
    Welsh Conservative members reported (on BBC Wales) as unhappy with Cameron over his referendum comments at the welsh Conservative AGM. Seen as unecessarily divisive.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pong said:

Scott_P said:
    If I'm reading those odds right, then the tweet doesn't make sense.

What does it mean, scott?

How can the odds be 100% accurate if the favourite lost in 40% of the constituencies?
    And not just favourites, but extremely short-odds favourites.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Closest challenger
  • Options

Faisal Islam

moment Downing St believed could replace Lab as SNP opposition - when saw state of Scottish Labour's ground game inside Better Together

Hmm... Their complete lack of canvassing info in places like Dundee West was a serious disappointment but I heard several Labour people complain that the Better Together campaign was a job opportunity scheme in which Labour taught a new generation of Tories how to win elections and there was enough truth in that to hurt.
  • Options

I feel Hamilton has been punished enough for behaviour totally eclipsed by the expenses scandal. He's Welsh and speaks the language.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,423

Well that's democracy I suppose. But the hell do these two know or indeed care about Wales?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    taffys said:

Layne said:

The people who vote for them in droves are increasingly the people who want women to be second class citizens. That's Labour's problem.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189

Welsh Conservative members reported (on BBC Wales) as unhappy with Cameron over his referendum comments at the welsh Conservative AGM. Seen as unecessarily divisive.

what did he say?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Liverpool Lab 27 LDem 3 Green 1 Liberal 1
    LDem gain 2 from Labour
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    runnymede said:

taffys said:

Layne said:

The people who vote for them in droves are increasingly the people who want women to be second class citizens. That's Labour's problem.
    Evidence please? Or is this the usual 'fruitcake' propaganda that is spouted out on right-wing blogs like this...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,337
    taffys said:

Layne said:

I do love the moralising of the right...

Anyway. If a woman wants to wear the Hijab then great. If a woman feels she has no choice but to wear one thats wrong. I am supportive of cultural rules and preferences where they are by choice - whether thats orthodox Jews wearing black or women in a burkha or BA check-in staff wearing a crucifix.

But not where its forced and especially not where a patriach demands it. This is Britain. People are free to religious expression but not free to dump basic human rights.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

taffys said:

Layne said:

Given the women get postal votes - and aren't allowed to leave the house unchaperoned to post them, I doubt if they're participating in democracy at all.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Can someone please tell me where the SCON surge came from ? It seems to me to have happened over night after years of either flatlining or going backwards.

The explanations that Scotland wanted an effective opposition doesn't make sense considering Labour were second in most seats. I mean tories now second in Clydesdale is that normal?

You think that the desire for an effective opposition didn't make sense? Have you ever heard Scottish Labour? Idiocies liked the Named Person legislation were forced through the Parliament when they were sleepwalking and only the Tories were making a fuss. The message we needed an opposition who, you know, actually oppose was very powerful.
  • Options
    @SpecCoffeeHouse: The SNP’s power has past its peak, says @JGForsyth https://t.co/hCHOcrHwIj #SP16 https://t.co/GfCPdafYPg
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,337

MrsB said:

oh look the Lib Dems have had a pretty decent showing in the results of the council elections so far.

If standing still after circa 7 years of losses is rated as decent then I agree. More like has now hit the bottom range in council results.
    But still sinking elsewhere. LibDems reduced to a single seat in Wales - that has a familiar ring to it
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    TGOHF said:

sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

@KennyFarq: In any negotiations, Greens will want concessions on tax and fracking. My gut feeling is these may a price Nicola is unwilling to pay.

Going to be hilarious when the fracking starts

Nicola should put the Green's Andy Wightman in charge of land reform legislation and watch the Tory landowners, big farmers and secret offshore-registered company owners squirm.

PS - just hope the anti-SNP alliance riposte isn't another poison pill a la the Edinburgh Trams fiasco!
    A sure fire way of further depressing Scottish growth over the Uk. Come to Scotland and we will steal your assets.
    Nobody is talking about stealing anything - the very limited community buyouts are a tiny proportion of overall holdings. What is proposed is open and transparent ownership and productive management for the good of the whole country.
  • Options
    Mr. Pioneers, indeed. Imposition of behaviour by religious authority figures is wrong.

There's a vast yawning chasm between an act that's voluntary, and act that's forced. It's the difference between euthanasia and murder.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    MrsB said:

Doesn't seem that much solace when looking at Wales, and how despite some great results not much actually gained in Scotland d either.
  • Options

MrsB said:

But still sinking elsewhere. LibDems reduced to a single seat in Wales - that has a familiar ring to it
    Think it's a cheek that UKIP with 7 are called Other on Sky banner - LDs with 1 get their own box.
  • Options
    @TelePolitics: Ken Livingstone describes the creation of the state of Israel as 'a great catastrophe' https://t.co/i2qgiqobw7 https://t.co/FtK9MfcJ27
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Just to say, it appears there has been a small swing TO LABOUR in England compared to this point in the last parliament (2011).

That points to a hung parliament in 2020. I'm sure the Tories will carry on being obliviously complacent though.

#rattled
    Except I was one of the most pessimistic Labourites on PB in the run-up to the 2015 election

While these results are hardly spectacular for Labour, they simply do not AT ALL support the theory that 2020 is going to be a walkover for the Tories. Remember, they barely scraped over the majority line last year, and they now look to have deteriorated since this point in the last parliament.
    no comment needed really. mainly cos I'm knackered.
  • Options
    There will be quite a few hundred Conservative candidates wondering "what if" today about the timing and opening up of splits inside the party by Cameron and Osborne which dominated the local campaigns. The recent ConHome survey largely blames Cameron for the division. IMHO if he had either waited until after these results or not fronted the referendum campaign, we would have been staring at a major crisis for the Labour party having lost hundreds of councillors - and possibly a few more AMs in Wales. Ironically Cameron and Osborne's blunder may have staved off the day of departure for Corbyn.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Are people voting more for personalities than policies nowadays?

If voters don't read newspapers anymore nor take the trouble to search out what the party policies are then they will make a judgement on the brief TV appearances of party leaders.

Would that explain the rise of Conservatives in Scotland because Ruth Davidson comes across better than Kezia Dugdale regadless of policies?
  • Options
    @Alan_Cochrane: My we are in a huff! No press conf or questions allowed after Sturgeon fails to win overall majority.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Ken Livingstone describes the creation of the state of Israel as 'a great catastrophe' https://t.co/i2qgiqobw7 https://t.co/FtK9MfcJ27

He's on Sky now....
  • Options

pinkrose said:

CD13 said:

Roger,

"OT One of the most significant political events of the last 24 hours was Nigel Lawson's claim on Question Time that a vote for 'Remain' would mean 77 million Turks flooding into this country."

It's a battle to see who can make the daftest claim.

And what's wrong with 77 million Turks coming? Think of the boost to GDP and the millions of jobs created. I hope you're not a racist.

That reminds me ... was the 3 million jobs lost claim based on the loss of immigration which might occur? If not, Remain have missed a trick. If leaving would cost 77 million more people then they could count in the loss of GDP in their figures.

Ah. bless.

There's an appalling story of female subjugation in the Times - edicts from Blackburn mosque. This stuff needs stamping out. I await anything being done about it.
    "I await anything being done about it"
    Probably when hell freezes over.

"appalling story of female subjugation"

LOL what?

Advising women not to wear pants, obey their husbands and dont travel more than 48miles without a male chaperone is female subjugation????? Even if women want and agree with such advice?
    If the 3 east london schoolgirls abided by this they wouldnt have travelled thousands of miles to join the isis in syria!!

Subjugation: To make subordinate or subject to the dominion of something else.

Someone telling others what to wear, where to travel, and to obey someone else is, by definition, subjugation.

I am not subjugating you if I tell you to wear a pink hat. I am only subjugating you if I make you do it.

But if culturally I am expected to follow your pronouncements, then that is effectively making someone do it.

Quite. If so eons chooses to be so obedient it is in theory fine if depressing, but there can be all manner of ways someone is coerced into specific behaviours and has less choice than it seems.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

taffys said:

Layne said:

Anyway. If a woman wants to wear the Hijab then great. If a woman feels she has no choice but to wear one thats wrong. I am supportive of cultural rules and preferences where they are by choice - whether thats orthodox Jews wearing black or women in a burkha or BA check-in staff wearing a crucifix.

But not where its forced and especially not where a patriach demands it. This is Britain. People are free to religious expression but not free to dump basic human rights.
    If a woman wants to wear clothes then great. If a woman feels she has no choice but to wear clothes that's wrong.

If you are brought up that it is both meet and proper to where one then where's your free choice?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    The latest set of PMI figures seem to show that the rate of growth of UK economy is slowing, in some sectors quite sharply. If that trend continues we will be in recession possibly in early 2017, which would fit with the long term trend - the UK tends to have recession every ten years or so. If that happens the politics of it will be very interesting.

Osborne's credibility would surely be finally blown out of the water, putting paid to his leadership ambitions, and more generally the Conservative reputation for economic competence would again take a nasty knock. Whether Labour will be capable of taking advantage of the situation I am not so sure, but I suspect that, depending on the depth and duration of the recession, Conservative hopes of another majority will prove forlorn.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

There will be quite a few hundred Conservative candidates wondering "what if" today about the timing and opening up of splits inside the party by Cameron and Osborne which dominated the local campaigns. The recent ConHome survey largely blames Cameron for the division. IMHO if he had either waited until after these results or not fronted the referendum campaign, we would have been staring at a major crisis for the Labour party having lost hundreds of councillors - and possibly a few more AMs in Wales. Ironically Cameron and Osborne's blunder may have staved off the day of departure for Corbyn.

Hodges called this 'Cameron's bespoke result'.
  • Options
    Layne said:

Layne said:

whats the alternative?
    how are you going to enforce some mythical "equality" that Islamophobes use as a metaphorical stick to beat Muslims with?
    Do you really want the state to interfere in people's marriages?
    why do you assume that muslim women are weak?

Gender segregation is a fundamental part of Islam because of it's strict moral codes. Its not extremism its mainstream Islam. Trevor Philips was 100% accurate when he said Islam will not change and Muslims are different to other minority groups and they will never "integrate" in the way you want them to. Just accept it and live and let live.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369

Well that's democracy I suppose. But the hell do these two know or indeed care about Wales?
    Exactly
  • Options
    The more Ken talks, the clearer it becomes that he's not going to get booted out.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    John Rentoul 5 mins ·Elections 2016: Five things we’ve learnt so far

https://www.facebook.com/MrJohnRentoul/posts/1617433581913124
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,054

taffys said:

Layne said:

You don't see any difference between someone wearing a crucifix or turban and the burqa? The latter is clearly very different. Doesn't mean people should be pilloried for wearing it but I think there are certain situations where it should be banned, such as schools.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

I am amazed how these results are somehow being spun as positive for Labour. On national issues at a general election, they will be slaughtered. Oh well - as long as the members are happy.

They are probably better in England for Labour than the 2011 results - the equivalent point in the last Parliament.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    murali_s said:

runnymede said:

taffys said:

Layne said:

Evidence please? Or is this the usual 'fruitcake' propaganda that is spouted out on right-wing blogs like this...
    What is the evidence for the claim this is a right wing blog?

Has Our Genial Host switched allegiance away from Lib Dem to Conservative?
  • Options
    @GuardianAnushka: Blimey Ken Livingstone on Sky News... He just mentioned Hitler again!
  • Options
    @michaelsavage: Ken Livingstone is now basically trolling Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Hamilton is Welsh.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's nice to read all those articles about the SNP being past its peak and having to concentrate on bread and butter subjects, a mere five months after I wrote this:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/12/10/turning-on-taxes-the-tectonic-plates-of-scotlands-politics-are-moving/

"In the longer term, with Holyrood assuming a steadily increasing importance in decision-making in Scotland, the Scottish public are going to become increasingly concerned with pocket book decisions when voting in Holyrood elections. The next Scottish government is going to have bigger decisions to take and bigger decisions lead to more disaffected voters. The SNP has successfully for many years positioned itself as a party for all Scotland. That time may well be drawing to a close in the next couple of years."
  • Options
    @JeremyCliffe: Tricky media day for Labour. So Ken Livingstone's on Sky News talking about Hitler.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Scott_P said:

@JeremyCliffe: Tricky media day for Labour. So Ken Livingstone's on Sky News talking about Hitler.

This is a spoof right....I have this hard time telling the Daily Mash from reality at the moment.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    pinkrose said:

Layne said:

Layne said:

whats the alternative?
    how are you going to enforce some mythical "equality" that Islamophobes use as a metaphorical stick to beat Muslims with?

Gender segregation is a fundamental part of Islam because of it's strict moral codes. Its not extremism its mainstream Islam. Trevor Philips was 100% accurate when he said Islam will not change and Muslims are different to other minority groups and they will never "integrate" in the way you want them to. Just accept it and live and let live.
    If that actually were the case then it has no place in Britain.

I do not actually accept your definitions so and do consider gender segregation to be extremism. It doesn't matter whether it is mainstream islam or not, it is extremist as far as what is acceptable in British society. We should not change our rules and our societal norms to tolerate religious extremism.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Scott_P said:

This is a spoof right....I have this hard time telling the Daily Mash from reality at the moment.
    #rattled
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206

I enjoyed the tweet saying someone ought to celebrate Neil Hamilton's political resurrection by writing a musical about a politician called "Hamilton."

• Options
    taffys said:

Hodges called this 'Cameron's bespoke result'.
    But, caused great harm inside his party. There is also no guarantee that Corbyn will not stand down and a stronger person chosen. There are several years still left.
  • Options
    @chrisapplegate: Ken Livingstone Bingo is literally a grid of 16 squares, all of them with the word Hitler in them
  • Options
    @MrCarlMcQueen: We asked Ken to come on Sky News to react to the elections/look ahead to London...we didn't say he had to mention Hitler again!

@janinegibson: Don’t give us your “Sky News innocent face”… it’s too bloody late now. https://t.co/8pyqWQQWJS
  • Options
    @LukeBurstow: Ken, bouyant: "It's ok, I didn't say the H word!"
    Labour HQ sighing: "You did Ken."
    Ken: "You sure? Damn." https://t.co/4TRJSeEMgg
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Re: Scotland - in the north-east around the Aberdeenshire west gain the Tories are second in nearly every seat and most would be winnable if the SNP falter over the next 4 years. The performance is really quite remarkable and even more so against the background of difficult economic times and the divisions over Europe.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    weejonnie said:

If you are brought up that it is both meet and proper to where one then where's your free choice?

Except in a few clinical cases the underlying assumption of law is to assume you have free choice and not get into an argument about environment vs conditioning etc. Otherwise whenever you signed a contract you'd have to tick a box saying "I was not brought up to think that anything related to this contract is meet and proper".
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    O/T - How many PBers are planning to go to the Tory conference in Brum?
  • Options

MrsB said:

Think it's a cheek that UKIP with 7 are called Other on Sky banner - LDs with 1 get their own box.
    Under the rules with one seat the LDs are not counted as a party at the Welsh Assembly. Their Leader is now an Independent....
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,627
    felix said:

Re: Scotland - in the north-east around the Aberdeenshire west gain the Tories are second in nearly every seat and most would be winnable if the SNP falter over the next 4 years. The performance is really quite remarkable and even more so against the background of difficult economic times and the divisions over Europe.

SNP failed at the expectations game.

So did Labour but, by fluke, they've got away with it as they've done well enough for no one to notice.

The Tories will naturally draw attention to their Scottish result.

Which I still can't believe.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

Mr. Taffys, I missed that about the WEP and sharia, but thanks for mentioning it.

Miss Pinkrose, nothing says equality like being totally obedient to another human being because of gender.

If a women chooses to be obedient to her husband that is her choice. What business is it of yours, mine or anyone else's what happens in other people's marriages?
    Would you clutch your pearls over bdsm relationships, where one person chooses to be obedient to another?

Just live and let live. Muslims aren't saying you have to have the same kind of marriage as they do, so people should just mind their own business.
    What happens if she chooses NOT to be obedient?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2016
    I was re-elected to my council seat last night and almost doubled my majority. Very relieved as the Tories were working so hard and the ward was lost badly last year. Tories were targeting 6 gains (3 from Lab, 3 from LD and lost every one.

Seems like green shoots for Lib Dems but still desert areas where local party has disappeared, but this is the first election night in a long time that hasn't been crushing,so I guess that's progress.

Hope other Peebies who've been up for election have done well.
  • Options
    Will Labour or the Lib Dems start gaining ground in Scotland first?
  • Options

pinkrose said:

What happens if she chooses NOT to be obedient?
    Talaq x3
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

I was re-elected to my council seat last night and almost doubled my majority. Very relived as the Tories were working so hard and the ward was lost badly last year. Tories were targeting 6 gains (3 from Lab, 3 from LD and lost every one.

Seems like green shoots for Lib Dems but still desert areas where local party has disappeared, but this is the first election night in a long time that hasn't been crushing,so I guess that's progress.

Hope other Peebies who've been up for electron have done well.

Congratulations.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Hamilton is Welsh.
    Hamilton is a lot of things.
  • Options
    A possible lesson for the Conservatives from the Scottish revival is that Cameron's successor should be someone to whom non-traditional supporters can relate, and if possible someone younger than most of the obvious candidates.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

Layne said:

Layne said:

whats the alternative?

"Gender segregation is a fundamental part of Islam because of it's strict moral codes."

But, presumably, this strict moral code has not been applied in Cologne, Rotherham, Rochdale, Malmo and mant 1000s of other instances.
  • Options

felix said:

SNP failed at the expectations game.

So did Labour but, by fluke, they've got away with it as they've done well enough for no one to notice.

The Tories will naturally draw attention to their Scottish result.

Which I still can't believe.
    You also see a similar pattern in the seats to the north of the 'border blue' zone. On another note I watched the BBC coverage this time - previously I only had access to Sky. Sadly, the anti-Tory bias was only too evident for too much of the time from presenter to pundit. Very disappointing.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970

pinkrose said:

Layne said:

Layne said:

whats the alternative?

I do not actually accept your definitions so and do consider gender segregation to be extremism. It doesn't matter whether it is mainstream islam or not, it is extremist as far as what is acceptable in British society. We should not change our rules and our societal norms to tolerate religious extremism.

I agree, but doesn't that also apply to golf clubs etc that refuse to allow women members?

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited May 2016

murali_s said:

runnymede said:

taffys said:

Layne said:

What I meant to say is that the comments section is very-right. Our Genial Host is always first-class and he talks a LOT of sense.

It would interesting to note the political leaning of the various posters but there is a significant right-wing wing bias.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MP_SE said:

Hamilton is Welsh.
    Hamilton is a lot of things.
    I like his wife (not like that)

She seems very feisty, and bloody loyal to him, always sticks up for him.

I remember when Angus Deayton had his difficulties on HIGNFY, he introduced her as 'the wife of disgraced former Tory MP Neil Hamilton'

she replied with

'If he's disgraced, what are you?'
  • Options
    The formation of an Irish government seems to be being held up by an argument about bog-cutting.
  • Options
    Anywhere showing the actual % of London assembly votes verified by party - and I do not mean that graph without a scale (designed probably by a Lib Dem)?
  • Options

pinkrose said:

Layne said:

Layne said:

whats the alternative?

The clash between these two cultures is unavoidable in the UK and Labour's attitude here is both deplorable and tragic at the same time.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

pinkrose said:

Layne said:

Layne said:

whats the alternative?

I agree, but doesn't that also apply to golf clubs etc that refuse to allow women members?

Is that still common among golf clubs? (I have no idea of the answer, other than remembering hearing bits and piece of lots of the famous clubs have changed their rules FINALLY).
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

I was re-elected to my council seat last night and almost doubled my majority. Very relieved as the Tories were working so hard and the ward was lost badly last year. Tories were targeting 6 gains (3 from Lab, 3 from LD and lost every one.

Hope other Peebies who've been up for election have done well.

Congrats. Anyone know how @JohnO fared?
  • Options
    felix said:

It was the same across Angus and into Perthshire. Big swings against the SNP but not enough to topple what had been very large majorities. This was on a brilliant night for the Tories which they might struggle to repeat but there is a significant swathe of long ex Tory seats in which they are once again well placed to gain if the SNP trip up substantially.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    weejonnie said:

taffys said:

Layne said:

If a woman wants to wear clothes then great. If a woman feels she has no choice but to wear clothes that's wrong.

When I lived in Brum in the 80s in a strongly Moslem area (Sparkbrook) you literally never saw women in hijabs or burqas. Now it is common. That says to me it is a cultural choice much more than the result of repressive societal pressure. The interesting and worrying issue is why such choices are being made.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

MrsB said:

Is that box as in coffin? :joy:
  • Options
    Congrats to @tpfkar!
  • Options

pinkrose said:

Layne said:

Layne said:

whats the alternative?

It doesn't matter whether you say Islam has no place in Britain, it's here and its not going anywhere.

And who exactly gets to decide "our rules and societal norms"? Muslims who are born and raised in Britain can live by their own social rules as long as they dont break the law. They too are British and will not have norms imposed on them that are not compliant with Islam, their faith.
  • Options

A possible lesson for the Conservatives from the Scottish revival is that Cameron's successor should be someone to whom non-traditional supporters can relate, and if possible someone younger than most of the obvious candidates.

Lucy Fisher was funny on Sky earlier - she said Ruth wasn't pale/male/stale and she swore a lot.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited May 2016
    FPT
    TGOHF said:
    I think your GPS needs updated if that is in the East of Glasgow.

I've long suspected that you're a plastic prod (whilst retaining the authentic bigotry of course).

'Bungling Jack Cooper coated Light Blues boozer the Louden Tavern, in Glasgow’s east end, in the colours of rivals Celtic, below.'

http://tinyurl.com/z5cz43y
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Just to say, it appears there has been a small swing TO LABOUR in England compared to this point in the last parliament (2011).

That points to a hung parliament in 2020. I'm sure the Tories will carry on being obliviously complacent though.

#rattled
    Except I was one of the most pessimistic Labourites on PB in the run-up to the 2015 election

While these results are hardly spectacular for Labour, they simply do not AT ALL support the theory that 2020 is going to be a walkover for the Tories. Remember, they barely scraped over the majority line last year, and they now look to have deteriorated since this point in the last parliament.
    There's a difference between "walkover" and "win".

Even Corbyn is talking of "holding on". Benn says there's a long way to go, etc, etc.
    What do you define as "win"? The Tories are still favourites to be biggest party, but the swing from 2011 points to a hung parliament with the Tories having to rely on the Lib Dems or Northern Ireland parties to survive.
    Of course we could also go back to the 1959 Parliament , and point out that despite having already been in power for 9/10 years the Tories managed to make significant gains from Labour at the local elections of 1960 and 1961. Despite that , Labour did win the 1964 election!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    edited May 2016
    pinkrose said:

Layne said:

Layne said:

whats the alternative?

Yes - we do accept that the state should interfere in people's marriages when, for instance, a husband rapes his wife or beats her or exercises excessive control (see, for instance, the latest Archers storyline or the posters all round Camden saying that this a crime and people should not put up with it) or prevents her exercising her rights as a British citizen.

And there is no reason on earth why these laws should not be applied to people just because they are Muslim.

Some Muslims may not want to integrate - but when you live in a country you have obligations towards it - not just rights and the question is not just what Muslims want but what the effect of what they want and how they live has on the rest of us and the social cohesion of our society.

So - no to live and let live with behaviours which are criminal or hostile to or incompatible with British values.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Lds look pretty dead to me. Can win the occasional council seat, maybe carve out minor strongholds in s otland say, but nothing large, nothing wide or deep, not in this decade and probably the next.

Most places they are nowhere, and the exceptions seek like unusual points of light amidst the darkness.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

runnymede said:

taffys said:

Layne said:

What I meant to say is that the comments section is very-right. Our Genial Host is always first-class and he talks a LOT of sense.

It would interesting to note the political leaning of the various posters but there is a significant right-wing wing bias.
    With the referendum the LD and Labour REMAINers have become more pro Cameron in their posts so that may give the "moreright wing" impression. Quite why opponents to the Conservatives would be encouraging Cameron in banging on and on about Europe is a puzzle?.....
  • Options
    Broadcasters now playing an elaborate game.

Whichever can get Ken to say Hitler quickest wins
  • Options
    edited May 2016

weejonnie said:

taffys said:

Layne said:

When I lived in Brum in the 80s in a strongly Moslem area (Sparkbrook) you literally never saw women in hijabs or burqas. Now it is common. That says to me it is a cultural choice much more than the result of repressive societal pressure. The interesting and worrying issue is why such choices are being made.

Is it? Or is it immigration from different countries / areas? e.g. in the 80's, I am guessing there were virtually no Somali's in the UK. Now in some cities e.g. Bristol, there is a significant population and from what I understand it is women from that community that you will see covered up, wanting single sex only this and that, not those from say Pakistani origins.
  • Options

Spot on - but that is the kind of 'naughty' comment liable to rile quite a few regulars on here :)
This discussion has been closed.