Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MP_SE said:

I think it is safe to conclude that Labour are now a racist party. Sadly there does not seem to be a sensible left-wing alternative.

Sadly there does not seem to be a sensible left-wing alternative.

Cameron seems to be heading in that direction.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The crap descending on Labour right now is astonishing...and richly deserved..
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Sandpit said:

MikeK said:

Why the hell does she stay in such a party?
    ttps://twitter.com/IsraelNewsNow/status/726437497694085121

If the Lib Dems have any sense they will be courting her and any other Lab MPs who feel more and more disgusted by their party in the past few days weeks months.
    Who on earth would throw their lot in with Farron?

Given his particular branch of Christianity, it would be an uncomfortable move for many.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

The crap descending on Labour right now is astonishing...and richly deserved..

All those years of waycissst!!!!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016
    Amuses me that what counts as a big protest at a British conference is one person out of thousands shouting "rubbish" in a slightly apologetic voice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36176846
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Toms said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Yes Nick Cohen has this bang on to rights, and not because he was born a Jew:

"......Yet it was still profoundly alarming. There is a large block of around a million British citizens with a profoundly illiberal interpretation of Islam which treats basic human rights with scorn. You can tick them off the checklist. About one in three British Muslims think it acceptable to have more than one wife. A little more, 39 per cent, think that wives should always obey their husbands — compared with just 5 per cent of the rest of the population. As for gay rights, only one in five Muslims thinks that homosexuality should be legal compared to four in five members of the wider public. As for racism, 35 per cent of British Muslims think Jews have too much power compared to 9 per cent non-Muslims.

Respect for freedom of speech was hard to find: 87 per cent say that there should be no right to make fun of the Prophet. And 4 per cent favoured outright violence."

I'm not sure what's wrong with a man having more than one wife. (Or a wife having more than one husband.)

Of course, sometimes I think even one wife is too many.
    I have utmost respect for polygamists.

I struggle to manage just one wife! :smiley:
    Have you moved into NW8?
    2 days ago. Traumatised by living outside Zone 1 for the first time in my life...
    Don't worry, you'll get used to it. The accents will take a while for you to understand, and people talk a bit slower, but eventually you'll adjust to country life.

(As an aside, there's an excellent playground just opposite Lord's that we should definitely meet at.)
    The yokels locals all seem very nice, though.

Lord's playground sounds like a good idea. Give me a week or so for the dust to settle...

And don't forget to take a selfie at the Beatles' Abbey Road crossing.
    Like the 101 pedestrians who abuse the pelican crossing each time I try to drive through it?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I got Michael Gove, who are you?

https://www.riddle.com/a/63174?result=MQ

Gove here as well
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    GeoffM said:

Gove here as well
    I got Theresa May.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Gove here as well
    Gove leads 4-1 over May.

That sounds like a clear indication of who should be next leader ;)
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Heh. I guess that the Beatles have, willy nilly, contributed to British "soft power" (as I think it's called), and hugely helped exports. It's a cross to bear I guess.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

"......Yet it was still profoundly alarming. There is a large block of around a million British citizens with a profoundly illiberal interpretation of Islam which treats basic human rights with scorn. You can tick them off the checklist. About one in three British Muslims think it acceptable to have more than one wife. A little more, 39 per cent, think that wives should always obey their husbands — compared with just 5 per cent of the rest of the population. As for gay rights, only one in five Muslims thinks that homosexuality should be legal compared to four in five members of the wider public. As for racism, 35 per cent of British Muslims think Jews have too much power compared to 9 per cent non-Muslims.

Respect for freedom of speech was hard to find: 87 per cent say that there should be no right to make fun of the Prophet. And 4 per cent favoured outright violence."

I'm not sure what's wrong with a man having more than one wife. (Or a wife having more than one husband.)

Have you moved into NW8?
    2 days ago. Traumatised by living outside Zone 1 for the first time in my life...
    Don't worry, you'll get used to it. The accents will take a while for you to understand, and people talk a bit slower, but eventually you'll adjust to country life.

(As an aside, there's an excellent playground just opposite Lord's that we should definitely meet at.)

Lord's playground sounds like a good idea. Give me a week or so for the dust to settle...

Like the 101 pedestrians who abuse the pelican crossing each time I try to drive through it?
    Hey: fancy going at 2am one morning, and painting over the zebra crossing? Millions of Londoners would thank you :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Toms said:

Heh. I guess that the Beatles have, willy nilly, contributed to British "soft power" (as I think it's called), and hugely helped exports. It's a cross to bear I guess.

As always, the benefits are diffuse and the costs concentrated.

But people don't seem to have much sympathy :scream:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Have you moved into NW8?

Hey: fancy going at 2am one morning, and painting over the zebra crossing? Millions of Londoners would thank you :-)
    more amusing to move it 10 metres further down the road
  • Options

I tried putting in the *exact opposite* of my opinions and I got Caroline Lucas
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited April 2016

MP_SE said:

I think it is safe to conclude that Labour are now a racist party. Sadly there does not seem to be a sensible left-wing alternative.

Quite. What there seems to be a lack of is a sensible right of centre party. The difference in policies between Cameron's Conservative government and Blair's Labour government has to me always seemed a bit thin, but now I doubt you'd get a fag paper between the two.

I suppose it is not surprising since Cameron early on declared he was the true heir to Blair and both tried to appeal to the mythical centre ground and both let an over-mighty Chancellor run riot over domestic policy. To the detriment of their own party and the country I might add.

Bring forth again the manifesto of the Patrick Party. The party of what I think is the real Common Ground, behind which the majority, of whatever class, race or religion, the people of our Island Nation can unite.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

I tried that twice, but with yes/no on the gay marriage question. Got Lucas both times

How did she vote?
  • Options
    I got Gove too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Betting Post
    F1: Here's my pre-race piece, complete with tip:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/russia-pre-race-2016.html
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Charles said:

Toms said:

But people don't seem to have much sympathy :scream:
    Four people managed to line up as the Google Street View camera waited.
    Facing the wrong way, but can't have everything I guess!
    https://www.google.ae/maps/@51.5321461,-0.1774509,3a,75y,154.47h,72.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHyM71wtc6ezb7tIL0aRudw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited April 2016
    Charles said:

Toms said:

But people don't seem to have much sympathy :scream: :
    Actually I at least do have sympathy. Rooming in at King's, Cambridge, over holidays was pretty annoying. The tramp of tourists' was hard to stand, although most were subdued/diffident. The volume of traffic was the problem.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, the Patrick Party is a great idea.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    Witnessing all these internal team struggles can be quite distressing. I speak of course, of Captain America: Civil War.

Lame joke aside, yet another very fun action movie. Doesn't make it into great territory I think, due to some logical issues which don't ruin the fun, but I just struggled to get past.

On more weighty matters, not sure the Ken story can be dragged out much longer, though he's doing his best. At worst it might cause some people to stay at home rather than vote Labour, but unless they were going to be doing better in Scotland, Wales and England outside London than expected, it was already thought they'd do badly, and it'll take more than what has been shown to derail Khan's triumph, so it will rumble on in the background until the report on it, but otherwise fade away.
  • Options
    Charles said:

GeoffM said:

I tried that twice, but with yes/no on the gay marriage question. Got Lucas both times

How did she vote?
    In favour - called it a "momentous occasion".

http://www.carolinelucas.com/latest/a-momentous-occasion-to-stand-up-for-equality-in-marriage
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

Should we not expect oppression to lead to the oppressed behaving worse than if they were not oppressed?

Expect? No. Think Mandela.
    Understand? Perhaps.
    Condone? Never.
    Mandela was a saint.

Do you have to be saintly because I oppress you?

No, you don't need to be a saint. But you used the word 'expect'. If we set expectations that those who are wronged will wrong in their turn (and by implication accept such reaction), then we are setting our society up for Sicilian-style ever-esaclating feuds.

All civilizations have learned how to balance justice, punishment and forgiveness in order to avoid precisely that spiral into violence.

The saintliness vs revenge you offer is not the full range of choices.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Charles said:

Toms said:

But people don't seem to have much sympathy :scream: :
    Actually I at least do have sympathy. Rooming in at King's, Cambridge, over holidays was pretty annoying during bank holidays. The tramp of tourists' was hard to stand, although most were subdued/diffident. The volume of traffic was the problem.
    :love:
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Ha! A thought that might annoy many on left and right.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Patrick said:

I got Gove too.

I got William Gladstone. I think it was my answer on Home Rule that swung it. Either that or my regular attempts to rescue fallen women.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Have you moved into NW8?

I am surprised someone hasn't done it already.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

33% don't know what anti-semitic means?

You mean like Surbiton?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. Llama, the Patrick Party is a great idea.

Of course it is Mr. D., it even has a great name - one that is politically neutral but that needs explaining to future generations. As you play with your grand-children and they ask about the wonderful government this country has been blessed with for 50 plus years you will be able to explain to them how Patrick (possibly St. Patrick of Common Sense by then) came on to this web site and outlined his vision for another way.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Betting Post
    F1: Here's my pre-race piece, complete with tip:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/russia-pre-race-2016.html

I'll follow you in on those tips. Lewis is a damn good driver but those podium odds were very stingy to say the least. Good luck tomorrow!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    kle4 said:

Witnessing all these internal team struggles can be quite distressing. I speak of course, of Captain America: Civil War.

Lame joke aside, yet another very fun action movie. Doesn't make it into great territory I think, due to some logical issues which don't ruin the fun, but I just struggled to get past.

On more weighty matters, not sure the Ken story can be dragged out much longer, though he's doing his best. At worst it might cause some people to stay at home rather than vote Labour, but unless they were going to be doing better in Scotland, Wales and England outside London than expected, it was already thought they'd do badly, and it'll take more than what has been shown to derail Khan's triumph, so it will rumble on in the background until the report on it, but otherwise fade away.

I don't know. I'm expecting tomorrow's papers to be dreadful for Labour. All those activists social media accounts about Zios to be picked over by journalists. We'll see in a few hours.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Michael Gove, twice - both with one incorrect answer and with all correct answer (accidentally clicked no to Sunday shopping)
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, especially given his lacklustre performance last time. Don't think he even made top 6, which really surprised me.
  • Options
    Tinned herring has been recalled from Lidl branches because its label does not warn consumers the cans contain ingredients including fish.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/lidl-recalls-tinned-fish-because-labels-fail-to-warn-cans-may-contain-fish-a3237566.html
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, surely that's just natural selection in action?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    "I tried putting in the *exact opposite* of my opinions and I got Caroline Lucas."

I did exactly the same and I got Lucas too. Is everybody's opposite Caroline Lucas?
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, especially given his lacklustre performance last time. Don't think he even made top 6, which really surprised me.

He was 7th last time out, from right at the back and with a pit stop at the end of the first lap. Russia is difficult to pass but his pace in practice was 2 seconds a lap faster than those around him - he should have no problems until he comes up to the Williams and Ferrari. The team could of course do something a little different with the strategy, maybe 2-stop with the extra set of SS tyres that weren't used in Q3?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

kle4 said:

I don't know. I'm expecting tomorrow's papers to be dreadful for Labour. All those activists social media accounts about Zios to be picked over by journalists. We'll see in a few hours.
    Might be lucky it is a bank holiday.
  • Options
    Apparently I'm Margaret Hodge. 'Solid Labour point of view' it says.

• Options
    Mr. Sandpit, yeah, but Hamilton's car is the fastest on the grid by a mile and he's a great driver. His odds on a podium were something daft (2.62, upon checking).

Two-stopping may make little sense as the tyres appear to last forever.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
  • Options
    Latest from John Curtice's WhatUKThinks:

Remain 52%
    Leave 48%

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/
  • Options
    CD13 said:

"I tried putting in the *exact opposite* of my opinions and I got Caroline Lucas."

I did exactly the same and I got Lucas too. Is everybody's opposite Caroline Lucas?

Theresa May is my opposite it seems.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    CD13 said:

I answered honestly and got Lucas!
  • Options
    This article has been flagged up on Matthew Goodwin's Twitter page:

"A far-right president of Austria is all but inevitable
    REINHARD HEINISCH 30 April 2016
    The opposition is too weak, civil society too apathetic and far-right sentiment too strong to stop Norbert Hofer being elected President of Austria."

https://opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/reinhard-heinisch/far-right-president-of-austria-is-all-but-inevitable
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    In other news, I got my manifesto booklet for the London elections today. Apparently the LDs are on the list ballot paper as "Caroline Pigeon's London Liberal Democrats". Following on from the odious Galloway, who I think started this trend, Salmond and Davidson, is there a less likely "put the leader's name on the ballot paper because they have a better brand than the party"?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

CD13 said:

I answered honestly and got Lucas!

You are Caroline Lucas and I claim my £5.

• Options

In other news, I got my manifesto booklet for the London elections today. Apparently the LDs are on the list ballot paper as "Caroline Pigeon's London Liberal Democrats". Following on from the odious Galloway, who I think started this trend, Salmond and Davidson, is there a less likely "put the leader's name on the ballot paper because they have a better brand than the party"?

"Ken Livinstone's London Labour"?
  • Options
    Does Matt Singh expect everyone to know which party he supports?
  • Options

Nick Clegg's Sheffield Lib Dems?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    I got Kate Hooey. Quite pleased.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Now I come to think of it I haven't received not one leaflet or piece of literature from any party fighting for city hall. Very weird I call it.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Mr. Sandpit, yeah, but Hamilton's car is the fastest on the grid by a mile and he's a great driver. His odds on a podium were something daft (2.62, upon checking).

Two-stopping may make little sense as the tyres appear to last forever.

Your blog said 1.57 for Lewis the podium. It's now 1.71 on Betfair. Joint second favourite with Vettel, after Rosberg.
    He's good, but not that good!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I got Theresa May!

Where are the paupers to kick and at what time do the servants serve the roast baby?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

With all of my *opposite* answers I changed just the one on pest control and I transformed into Kate Hoey.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, it still doesn't tempt me. The Williams and Ferraris will probably be able to hold him up, and maybe some others too. He could get a good start, but recent form suggests a terrible one is likelier.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited April 2016
    I wonder why "Keith Harris dies" (last updated April 2015) has come back into the BBC's "most read" again.

Underneath a memorial piece about him in the Guardian, I recall one poster commenting that Harris was a veteran left-winger and in the mid-1990s had once entertained the Russian Communist Party at one of their party conferences in Crimea. No particular details were left, but one imagines Orville singing Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh...

I wondered whether this was one of those bizarre truths we never hear of, or a spectacular piece of trolling.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    GeoffM said:

I got Douglas Carswell when I put my exact opposite opinions in.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

I got Theresa May!

Where are the paupers to kick and at what time do the servants serve the roast baby?

I got Andy Burnham - interesting...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    murali_s said:

I got Theresa May!

Try it again ...even Andy Burnham wouldn't get Andy Burnham twice....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The opposition is too weak, civil society too apathetic and far-right sentiment too strong to stop Norbert Hofer being elected President of Austria."

https://opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/reinhard-heinisch/far-right-president-of-austria-is-all-but-inevitable

Will Ken's week finally end on a high note?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited April 2016
    Opinium EU Ref online poll

Remain 42 (+3)
    Leave 41% (-2)

Changes from four weeks ago

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/30/referendum-poll-boost-remain-campaign-economic-argument
  • Options

AndyJS said:

#tomorrowbelongstome ?
  • Options

murali_s said:

I got Theresa May!

Excellent!
  • Options

AndyJS said:

QTWTAIN
  • Options
    That's Opinium's first lead for the Remainers since 9th April last year - Matt Singh
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

'Indeed, I think John Mcdonnell could be Labour's Michael Howard to Corbyn's IDS, from the same wing of the party, both Shadow Chancellor but both more media savvy, intelligent and heavy hitting. Howard did not win but he did ensure the Tories made modest progress in 2005 to set up their future recovery.'

Howard achieved a 3% swing and gained over 30 seats in 2005. If Mcdonnell were to manage that he would make it to No 10!

McDonnell is no Howard.

Howard might have had something about the night about him. McDonnell has something about the IRA about him.

And I think we all know how the British would react to having a terrorist apologist as a potential PM candidate.
    McDonnell was a heavy hitter of the Left as Howard was of the right, neither were in the centre, both could get 32% of the vote, as Howard did in 2005. There were plenty of things in Howard's past, his authoritarianism, Derek Lewis etc the left could not stand too
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854

I got Theresa May!

I got Theresa May also. When I put in my opposite opinions, I got Douglas Carswell.

I like both of them. But which one's better? There's only one way to find out....

• Options
    edited April 2016
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

'Indeed, I think John Mcdonnell could be Labour's Michael Howard to Corbyn's IDS, from the same wing of the party, both Shadow Chancellor but both more media savvy, intelligent and heavy hitting. Howard did not win but he did ensure the Tories made modest progress in 2005 to set up their future recovery.'

Howard achieved a 3% swing and gained over 30 seats in 2005. If Mcdonnell were to manage that he would make it to No 10!

Wrong, Howard increased the Tory vote by 0.7%, he won more seats mainly because of Labour voters switching to the LDs (who also took off seats from Labour). The LDs would have backed a Labour government anyway. If McDonnell increased the Labour vote by 0.7% he would not end up PM, if Tory voters went to UKIP, UKIP would still prop up a minority Tory government and even if Labour won 30 seats off the Tories the Tories would still be largest party, especially with the boundary changes to come
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Why the hell does she stay in such a party?
    https://twitter.com/IsraelNewsNow/status/726437497694085121

"Luciana Berger sent thousands of insults on Twitter" might be better conveyed as "Luciana Berger was sent..."
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

murali_s said:

I got Theresa May!

LOL - Nice one!
  • Options

That's Opinium's first lead for the Remainers since 9th April last year - Matt Singh

That's what spending the taxpayers money on leaflets will buy you.

For now....
  • Options
  • Options
    Voting sensibly I got Michael Gove.
    My opposite is Andy Burnham.
  • Options

For now....
    I'm just glad that poll fits in with what I've written for the morning thread.

But honestly if Leave's case can be damaged by one simple government leaflet, especially in this age of cynicism, then Leave's case isn't that strong
  • Options

For now....

But honestly if Leave's case can be damaged by one simple government leaflet, especially in this age of cynicism, then Leave's case isn't that strong
    Well, give Leave an equivalent amount of money for an equivalent Leave leaflet and you might see just how flaky Remain's position has become!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

McDonnell is no Howard.

Howard might have had something about the night about him. McDonnell has something about the IRA about him.

And I think we all know how the British would react to having a terrorist apologist as a potential PM candidate.
    McDonnell was a heavy hitter of the Left as Howard was of the right, neither were in the centre, both could get 32% of the vote, as Howard did in 2005. There were plenty of things in Howard's past, his authoritarianism, Derek Lewis etc the left could not stand too
    McDonnell is not a heavy hitter in the slightest. He never came close to a position within the Party until his mate got elected. You cannot compare Howard's record with that of McDonnell - a man who has openly supported terrorists.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    I got Andy Burnham too!

Embarrassed blushing emoticon.
  • Options
    The manifesto of the Patrick Party may be lost to history - unless someone knows how to dig into old threads - and stores it somewhere! I'm sure my worldview hasn't changed since Friday but I can't remember exactly what I said. :-(
  • Options
    I'm not surprised my voting clone MP is Gove. He's a rare politician with a worldview that he actually believes in, that is based in a sensible moral position and not stupidly tribal. No wonder the blob hated him.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

McDonnell is no Howard.

McDonnell is not a heavy hitter in the slightest. He never came close to a position within the Party until his mate got elected. You cannot compare Howard's record with that of McDonnell - a man who has openly supported terrorists.
    For the left Michael Howard was associated with the miners strike, the poll tax and an authoritarian criminal justice policy, most of the 'terrorists' McDonnell associated with are now in government in NI. Howard was as far to the right as McDonnell is to the left to the average swing voter, but both are seen as more intelligent and competent than the leaders they replaced and McDonnell is Shadow Chancellor to Corbyn as Howard was to IDS
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854

For now....

Well, give Leave an equivalent amount of money for an equivalent Leave leaflet and you might see just how flaky Remain's position has become!
    Considering the amount of free coverage LEAVE gets in the press[1], and what it does with it[2], I'm not sure that's defensible.

[1] I would say the Daily Mail has given up any pretentions of objectivity, but to be fair, the Daily Mail has never pretended to be objective. Or, let's be honest, a newspaper
    [2] Older readers may remember when Eurosceptics at least pretended to offer a open, outward-looking Brexit based on free trade.Nowadays it's "LOOK! FOREIGN PEOPLE! EW!"
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    The last few days sums up the problem of current Labour Party. It is the last weekend of the campaign. The main opposition should be busy trying to attack the government record. However, they spend the whole time talking about itself because of the antics of one of their past sell day politician
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

murali_s said:

I got Theresa May!

:lol: brilliant!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    viewcode said:

I got Theresa May!

I got Theresa May also. When I put in my opposite opinions, I got Douglas Carswell.

I like both of them. But which one's better? There's only one way to find out....

DEATHMATCH!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

Floater said:
    It is going to take more than that to stick to Teflon Khan at the moment. His constant protestations about any attack on him and his friends being racist is working as a shield. Sadly.
    The Tories would have burning crosses outside their homes if they'd 1% of this shit on their shoes.
    Boris used racism all the time. "Piccaninnies". No burning crosses. Enough of the victim complex, please.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,979
    Margret Hodge.

I think I should hand in my PB Tory papers.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Weekly update (numbers sent by CLP Secretary to national party) of CLPs nominations for NEC elections

Ann Black (GA) 49 CLPs
    Ellie Reeves (LF) 34
    Luke Akehurst (LF) 32
    Bex Bailey (Progress/LF) 31
    Parmjit Dhanda (Progress/LF) 31
    Johanna Baxter (Indy but backed by LF) 27
    Christine Shawcroft (GA) 26
    Pete Willsman (GA) 19
    Claudia Webbe (GA) 17
    Darren Williams (GA) 15
    Ken Livingstone (GA) 14
    Eddie Izzard (Ind) 11
    John Gallagher (Ind) 5

In London Ken got only Brent Central (his CLP) and Hayes & Harligton so far. He even failed in Hackney North

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    Patrick said:

The manifesto of the Patrick Party may be lost to history - unless someone knows how to dig into old threads - and stores it somewhere! I'm sure my worldview hasn't changed since Friday but I can't remember exactly what I said. :-(

This is permanent link to it

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1030942/#Comment_1030942
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

McDonnell is no Howard.

For the left Michael Howard was associated with the miners strike, the poll tax and an authoritarian criminal justice policy, most of the 'terrorists' McDonnell associated with are now in government in NI. Howard was as far to the right as McDonnell is to the left to the average swing voter, but both are seen as more intelligent and competent than the leaders they replaced and McDonnell is Shadow Chancellor to Corbyn as Howard was to IDS
    You have a very rose-tinted view of McDonnell's "career". His elevation to the Shadow Chancellorship was achieved only because of the arrival of Corbyn - and you will remember how many objected to the appointment from within the Party. He has held no other ministerial or shadow role - unsurprising considering his extreme views and his record of being a serial rebel against the Party line. None of that puts him on a par with Howard - who has a long record of service in a range of roles.

Take the blinkers off and look at what McDonnell has done and said over his life, the people and causes he has supported. He is not a vote-winner for Labour, he never has been and he never will be.

Without Corbyn, he would still be on the backbenchers. And yet, here we are talking about him leading Labour - possibly within a matter of months - even though he failed in his many previous attempts to stand for election to that position.

What a mad, mad world.
  • Options
    eek said:

Patrick said:

This is permanent link to it

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1030942/#Comment_1030942
    The PB archive is second to none... unless it comes to pre-Disqus times, I think those have been lost for ever :(
  • Options
    Mr Eek,

Eeeeek! That was clever. How did you:
    A. Find it so damn fast? ;and
    B. Create the link?

I feel like a Neanderthal luddite not knowing these things.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    IBID/TIPP national

Trump 48, Cruz 29, Kasich 16

Clinton 49, Sanders 43

Clinton 47 Trump 40

Clinton 47 Cruz 40

'Despite Trump’s supposed appeal with blue collar voters, Clinton does better among those who earn less than $35,000 a year (53% to 38%), while Trump ties Clinton among those making more than $75,000. Trump does, however, do better than Clinton among the less educated, beating her 48% to 43% with those who have only a high school education.

Trump also faces an enormous gender gap with Clinton. While he gets more male votes than Clinton (45% to 43%), Clinton gets 51% of the female vote to Trump’s 36%.'
    http://www.investors.com/politics/trump-gains-ground-on-clinton-but-both-have-sky-high-negatives/
  • Options
    Opinium online Westminster VI

Con 38 (+5)
    Lab 30 (-2)
    LD 5 (nc)
    UKIP 15 (-2)
    Greens 4 (-1)

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/political-polling-26th-april-2016
  • Options

Con 38 (+5)
    Lab 30 (-2)
    LD 5 (nc)
    UKIP 15 (-2)
    Greens 4 (-1)

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/political-polling-26th-april-2016

Oh baby....
  • Options
    +5!

Way to go Ken n Naz!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Con 38 (+5)
    Lab 30 (-2)
    LD 5 (nc)
    UKIP 15 (-2)
    Greens 4 (-1)

Oh baby....
    The fieldwork was Tuesday to Friday inclusive.

So covered most of the Livingstone Nazis for Zionism ClusterOmnishamblesfuck
  • Options
    Patrick said:

+5!

Way to go Ken n Naz!

Labour only down 2%, that Tory +5% is down to Dave's Pro-EU stance.
This discussion has been closed.