Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

124»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn won't lead us into the General Election - I doubt that anyone bar the most hardened left nutter thinks he's remotely interested in doing so. He has a political perspective of course but even Corbyn doesn't think Corbyn is the right person to lead it - that's why him becoming get candidate was because it was his turn rather than because
    So who succeeds Corbyn is the question. He will endorse a candidate I'm sure of that. McDonnell is popular but similarly divisive. Now that CNL are touting the likes of Dan Jorvik that means we should like to Lisa Nandy or Keir Starmer as options.

Corbyn won't lead us into the General Election - I doubt that anyone bar the most hardened left nutter thinks he's remotely interested in doing so. He has a political perspective of course but even Corbyn doesn't think Corbyn is the right person to lead it - that's why him becoming get candidate was because it was his turn rather than because he thought it was right.

However, the battle for the soul of the party is heating up. The more that Continuity New Labour scream and thrash about, the more Corbyn will dig in. Remember - CNL is unelectable. Defeated in 2010. Gutted Milliband's leadership to pull us right and defeated in 2015. They think Blair is The Messiah (all kneel and pay him) and that all we need isome to reset the clock back to 2005 and we win. We won't.

So who succeeds Corbyn is the question. He will endorse a candidate I'm sure of that. McDonnell is popular but similarly divisive. Now that CNL are touting the likes of Dan Jorvik that means we should like to Lisa Nandy or Keir Starmer as options.

Neither Nandy or Starmer have a big enough profile to take over midterm
    Starmer could be an interesting choice. He is as close as Labour have to a clean skin, has valuable experience outside the political machine. 14/1 might have some value?

Nandy is way too lightweight and very young at 36. Maybe in 10 years' time.
    Starmer needs a big Shadow Cabinet job first
    Normally I would agree with you. But these aren't normal times.
    The only other contender with major experience would be Tom Watson. As elected deputy Corbyn can't fire him either.
    McDonnell has a big post already as Shadow Chancellor and he backed Corbyn for leader, Starmer backed Burnham
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    edited April 2016

I've just had an email from "Stronger in Europe" urging me to send an e-card to my grandmother(s) to urge them to vote Remain.

One of my grandmothers died in 1937, the other in 1988.

It's nearly as bad as Goldsmith's Tamil campaign!

Or Lee Scott's Tamil campaign - he sent us a load of stuff in Tamil a year ago, but we don't speak Tamil!
    Perhaps he was encouraging your to learn a new language? People love puzzles, and getting their election messages in a language they cannot read is a doozy.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Dixie said:

If Tories have 8 point lead across GB, the lead in England will be more, say 11. Blues are 8 to 13% behind in London typically. I wonder what the figures are in London. Tories behind 5% at most? Labour fear a low turn out too.

GE 2015 was a 7% lead across GB and London was a 8.8% Lab lead.
    Thank you, so perhaps Tories are 7.8% behind. That's 3.9% swing. Blues might have up to 4% up our sleeves and Labour may lose 2% to Bradley effect. That will give 3% swing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dixie said:

If Tories have 8 point lead across GB, the lead in England will be more, say 11. Blues are 8 to 13% behind in London typically. I wonder what the figures are in London. Tories behind 5% at most? Labour fear a low turn out too.

GE 2015 was a 7% lead across GB and London was a 8.8% Lab lead.
    Probably even higher now? London loves it some Corbyn.
    May be true but...don't know.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

ONE POINT

ONE FUCKING POINT AHEAD

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Let us throw the ordure of derision at our silly, lying, ludicrous and now abjectly terrified politicians

It's an online poll which like all online polls seem to be biased towards Leave. No great change - Remain will still win comfortably by about 10-15 points.
    How do you get from a 1% lead in the polls to 10-15 points?
    Because there are polls that show Remain with much more substantiate leads than 1%
    But, that means discounting the polls that tell you a message you don't want to hear. Which must be unwise.
    Nah, it means looking at polls as a whole, and looking at the underlying patterns.
    On that basis, Remain have a narrow lead.
    I will say Leave do have some people who are going out of their way to ensure Remain wins, which is good for Remain.

Yes I'm looking at you Arron Banks.
    Arron Banks is indeed a liability. But, the reverse is also true.
    Since Lord Rose made his gaffe, Remain have locked him in a cupboard.

No one on Leave has done the same re Arron Banks.
    Lord Rose's position was entirely rational. If you benefit from free migration preventing wages from rising, then you have a good reason to vote Remain.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    kle4 said:

I've just had an email from "Stronger in Europe" urging me to send an e-card to my grandmother(s) to urge them to vote Remain.

Or Lee Scott's Tamil campaign - he sent us a load of stuff in Tamil a year ago, but we don't speak Tamil!
    Perhaps he was encouraging your to learn a new language? People love puzzles, and getting their election messages in a language they cannot read is a doozy.
    My mother('s) tongue is Malayalam, closely related, but with a completely different alphabet. If you've never heard of it, it's probably because it's spoken "only" by 35 million people :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayalam
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

ONE POINT

ONE FUCKING POINT AHEAD

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Let us throw the ordure of derision at our silly, lying, ludicrous and now abjectly terrified politicians

Plus 17 percent undecided. Who will vote Remain.
    Undecideds are mostly won't votes.
    Most will probably default to remain
    Well, that REMAINs to be seen. Since this is all speculation with zero evidence either way, maybe we should LEAVE it there.
    Not sure it is speculation. I have read on several occasions that the default position in any referendum is usually no change, ie remain
    Yes, but most referendums have a status quo option.
    Status Quo? I would go for Depeche Mode, personally :lol:
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Bookmakers are predicting another UK flop at Eurovision in 2 weeks. France is (strangely) tipped for a top 5 finish.

Will it swing for NO?
  • Options

kle4 said:

My mother('s) tongue is Malayalam, closely related, but with a completely different alphabet. If you've never heard of it, it's probably because it's spoken "only" by 35 million people :)

Pff, who hasn't heard of Malayalam or [checks page] the rest of the 22 scheduled languages of India?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Bookmakers are predicting another UK flop at Eurovision in 2 weeks. France is (strangely) tipped for a top 5 finish.

Will it swing for NO?

It seems to be between France and Russia - and the French song is better.

Our song is not as bad as some we have entered - but will do well to avoid the bottom 5 or 6 places
  • Options

Will it swing for NO?

No as we have to pay to host if we win
  • Options

Will it swing for NO?

That reminds me, I need to do a thread on Eurovision.
  • Options

Will it swing for NO?

We Brits have had more Eurovision Victories per year during the period prior to us joining the EEC (as was).

Two victories in 16 years pre-1973
    Three victories in 43 (yes, FORTY-THREE) years post-1973
  • Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    As the Tories have risen 5pc in tonights poll I think we should pause to pay tribute to those who have made this possible. Take a bow Nas Shah MP, Ken Livingstone and Jeremy Corbyn. But thanks are also due to the junior hospital doctors of England whose strike action cleared A and E departments of hypochondriacs and time wasters. Well done the BMA. As we sing at the football -can we play you every week?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

ONE POINT

ONE FUCKING POINT AHEAD

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, that REMAINs to be seen. Since this is all speculation with zero evidence either way, maybe we should LEAVE it there.
    Not sure it is speculation. I have read on several occasions that the default position in any referendum is usually no change, ie remain
    Gay marriage referendum in Ireland?
    Also the Good Friday Agreement.
  • Options
    UK has had only one Eurovision Victory since the Single European Act of 1986, and since Maastricht (1993),
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Pff, who hasn't heard of Malayalam or [checks page] the rest of the 22 scheduled languages of India?
    Yeah, but fess up - you had to Google it :lol:
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

ONE POINT

ONE FUCKING POINT AHEAD

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Gay marriage referendum in Ireland?
    Also the Good Friday Agreement.
    Yes, that too!
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yeah, but fess up - you had to Google it :lol:
    I shall confess nothing! :)
  • Options
    JackW said:

Alistair said:

Don't know means Status Quo.

"Status Quo" .... who'd thought a bunch of aged rockers holds the key to membership of the EU ...

LEAVE = Down Down Deeper and Down ?!?

Would a LEAVE vote be Burning Bridges?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    I agree Jake and Joe are ok. At least they are not over 80 former stars who have drunk too much and they are not singing a song rejected by Kyle Minogue in the 80s.

Will it swing for NO?

Our song is not as bad as some we have entered - but will do well to avoid the bottom 5 or 6 places
  • Options

Will it swing for NO?

Your Eurovision threads are even more highly anticipated by the huddled masses of PB than AV threads.
    I've got a fiver on the Russkies and a couple of quid on Belarus following your tip.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

JohnO said:

The referendum poll is hardly newsworthy (nor will any until the campaigns begin in earnest in mid May) but Labour self-immolating a week before the May 5th elections could be highly significant. I doubt Khan is in trouble, but Labour losses elsewhere could suddenly be in the hundreds and that will have its own cumulative ripple effects.

Sounds like Con need to shore up Jezza's position:

Tories For Corbyn?
    Haven't you now become a Jezza fan?
    I'm considering my options... ;)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

UK has had only one Eurovision Victory since the Single European Act of 1986, and since Maastricht (1993),

Yep - we had the courtship - now we're going steady. Time to break up.
  • Options

Will it swing for NO?

Your Eurovision threads are even more highly anticipated by the huddled masses of PB than AV threads.
    I've got a fiver on the Russkies and a couple of quid on Belarus following your tip.
    I had an AV thread planned for tomorrow, but Jez and Ken derailed that.

Was to remind PBers next Thursday will be the fifth anniversary of the AV referendum, when the people decided to reject the finest voting system known to humanity.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    AndyJS said:

AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

It's deeply symptomatic of REMAIN's dire performance that a ONE POINT LEAD is greeted with relief by REMAINIANS

We've had two weeks of solid REMAIN artillery, the best they have, throwing everything and more at LEAVE, from Obama to the kitchen sink to the OECD to Treasury to the IMF and the neighbour's kitchen sink, and this produces... A ONE POINT LEAD

Order of Immodium for Number 10.

I'm in the really stupid position of not knowing which way to vote yet hoping that Leave wins.

It would be such a wonderful rebuff for the Establishment.

But that isn't a very good reason to vote for Leave.
    Plenty of people are in that quandary. I'm still undecided.
    Well if you vote REMAIN then that vote is 100% in favour of Brussels.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    dyingswan said:

As the Tories have risen 5pc in tonights poll I think we should pause to pay tribute to those who have made this possible. Take a bow Nas Shah MP, Ken Livingstone and Jeremy Corbyn. But thanks are also due to the junior hospital doctors of England whose strike action cleared A and E departments of hypochondriacs and time wasters. Well done the BMA. As we sing at the football -can we play you every week?

Don't forget the fantastic investigative journalism from Guido Fawkes. Superb.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I have no idea why the Indy failed in the dead tree business...

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/726492693036146691
  • Options
    Pauly said:

dyingswan said:

Don't forget the fantastic investigative journalism from Guido Fawkes. Superb.
    There are 2 Khan stories ready to roll, but they may stay hidden. They deserve not to.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

ONE POINT

ONE FUCKING POINT AHEAD

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Apparently Goldsmith's had another feck up today.

He was saying he was a big fan of Bollywood films, he was then asked which was his favourite Bollywood film, awkward silence.

What a tool, he should have said 'Sholay', the finest Bollywood film ever made.
    Mother India... Pather Panchali perhaps.
    Not sure you can call Pather Panchali a Bollywood film.
    "[The Apu Trilogy] are today frequently listed among the greatest films of all time and are often cited as the greatest movies in the history of Indian cinema.[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apu_Trilogy
    Indian Cinema doesn't automatically mean Bollywood
    Bollywood is a short-hand for Indian Cinema.
    The largest part of it maybe but Satyajit Ray's Bengali films are certainly not Bollywood. The Apu trilogy owes more to italian neo-realism than anything else.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2016

Will it swing for NO?

France do very poorly in recent times, and you have a touching faith that the quality of the song matters.

What makes it all so much more unpredictable is the new voting system. I think that probably justifies a thread on its own.

I have yet to survey all the entries, but think Belarus is in with a shout of a top 10 place, as is Ireland, Greece and Finland. All are 20/1 or longer for top 10 place with William Hill.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I cannot contain my profound excitement about the prospect of an AV thread in the near future. Every time you tantalisingly taunt this treasure my anticipation grows that much more. Perhaps a Eurovision thread may exceed it......but perhaps not....

Will it swing for NO?

Was to remind PBers next Thursday will be the fifth anniversary of the AV referendum, when the people decided to reject the finest voting system known to humanity.
  • Options
    One of the interesting things about London mayoral election, if Khan loses some votes, will punters turn to Libs/Greens? Or just not vote and turn goes even lower. If Reds go green adn yellow, my forecast of 3rd place to UKIP is under pressure. Labour fear a low turnout and according to them, the magic figure is 35%. I believe turnout will be 35% or lower.

Khan still favourite but no stronger than 53 V 47, I think. And I am hoping for better.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

ONE POINT

ONE FUCKING POINT AHEAD

HAHAHAHAHAHA

There's a bar for that.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274958-d546215-Reviews-Depeche_Mode_Baar-Tallinn_Harju_County.html
  • Options

Will it swing for NO?

France do very poorly in recent times, and you have a touching faith that the quality of the song matters.

What makes it all so much more unpredictable is the new voting system. I think that probably justifies a thread on its own.

I have yet to survey all the entries, but think Belarus is in with a shout of a top 10 place, as is Ireland, Greece and Finland. All are 20/1 or longer for top 10 place with William Hill.
    It is not my faith in the French song that leads me to the belief that they are in the running. It is looking at the reaction to the different songs on YouTube, on podcasts and in the betting. Plus it is a decent song, with a good hook, and he sings in both French and English - which broadens the appeal.

I would be very wary of any tips for Belarus - they seem to be based on the desire of the performer, Ivan, to appear naked on stage surrounded by wolves. This has garnered a lot of attention for a song which, without the fuss, would get very little airtime.

Given the rules of Eurovision are clear about nudity and animals, Ivan cannot deliver on his promise - and so will fail to match his own hype.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

ONE POINT

ONE FUCKING POINT AHEAD

HAHAHAHAHAHA

There's a bar for that.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274958-d546215-Reviews-Depeche_Mode_Baar-Tallinn_Harju_County.html
    "Synth Britannia" is on BBC4 later tonight.
  • Options

Will it swing for NO?

Surely this new AV thread will not be permitted to be delayed further no matter what happens then? No news could justify not marking the anniversary.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Will it swing for NO?

It is not my faith in the French song that leads me to the belief that they are in the running. It is looking at the reaction to the different songs on YouTube, on podcasts and in the betting. Plus it is a decent song, with a good hook, and he sings in both French and English - which broadens the appeal.

I would be very wary of any tips for Belarus - they seem to be based on the desire of the performer, Ivan, to appear naked on stage surrounded by wolves. This has garnered a lot of attention for a song which, without the fuss, would get very little airtime.

Given the rules of Eurovision are clear about nudity and animals, Ivan cannot deliver on his promise - and so will fail to match his own hype.
    Belrus does well with the voting, with the Slavic block vote being quite an asset. I think that Russia may do poorly once again because of various misbehaviors. Greece has quite a diaspora, and the sympathy vote, and Ireland usually does respectably well, as does Finland.

I think the voting is too unpredictable for any of these to win, but they are all in with a shout of top 10
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Bonkers headline on front of MoS, claims bbc being banned from showing strictly on Saturday...surely that can't be true. If it is wittingdale really has lost his marbles.
  • Options
    I think outside France, there are very few people who actually like the French that much. Even the Arsenal fans affection has rather worn thin. It is little wonder there is a jungle of mayhem trying to get to England from France and absolutely no-one trying to do the reverse.

Will it swing for NO?

• Options
    kle4 said:

Will it swing for NO?

Surely this new AV thread will not be permitted to be delayed further no matter what happens then? No news could justify not marking the anniversary.
    I might publish it tomorrow evening around 8ish.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    tyson said:

I cannot contain my profound excitement about the prospect of an AV thread in the near future. Every time you tantalisingly taunt this treasure my anticipation grows that much more. Perhaps a Eurovision thread may exceed it......but perhaps not....

Will it swing for NO?

If you're a member of the Co-op you get to vote via STV in their annual elections.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

ONE POINT

ONE FUCKING POINT AHEAD

HAHAHAHAHAHA

There's a bar for that.

But is it near the Railway station? :-)
  • Options

Bonkers headline on front of MoS, claims bbc being banned from showing strictly on Saturday...surely that can't be true. If it is wittingdale really has lost his marbles.

The Sunday Times has the story too.

Basically it is to stop BBC ruining ITV's ratings on Saturdays, such as scheduling Strictly up against X Factor.

As a Strictly fan, worraknob Whittingdale is.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    Can we make the AV thread audio-visual about Euro Vision and Kinky Boots to keep TSE satisfied for 17 seconds?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Basically it is to stop BBC ruining ITV's ratings on Saturdays, such as scheduling Strictly up against X Factor.

That's just idiotic & I am not fan of the current bbc funding model etc.

There are loads of reforms they could make, but then we also have the Tories with their stupid schools policy.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Evening all: am now back after my unexpected adventure in the New York Presbyterian Hospital. I was upgraded to First Class BA which was really most enjoyable!

That Nick Cohen article is outstanding. That this is the state of Britush politics in 2016 is not surprising but very depressing.

Khan has a chance to tell Londoners now exactly how he is going to take on Islamust extremists. What will he do?

Will he, for instance:-

- ensure that no taxpayers' money is given to mosques or other organisations which host hate preachers (for instance, the East London mosque);
    - ensure that extremists are not given permission to speak on Mayoral-owned or controlled premises;
    - ensure that no extremists or persons associated with them are given any sort of role (employee, advisor, consultant) in his administration;
    - take action to challenge illiberal views by speaking to organisations, schools and others and by publicly challenging community leaders when they come out with extremist statements;
    - pushing back against those universities and other educational establishments which permit intimidation and gender segregation by Islamist student societies;
    - encouraging Muslims to report those possibly involved with terrorists or prone to radicalisation to the Prevent programme and/or the police;

Etc etc.

I am sure PB'ers can think of others.

But the important thing for Khan to show is that he has actions in mind - if we are to believe that his "I'm the Muslim to take on extremists" shtick is something more than just a slogan - and that these amount to confronting the Muslim community and not just simply expressing sympathy for and solidarity with the Jewish community.

Let's hope so, eh?

Let's hope that the foreboding expressed in Daniel Johnson's article in the latest edition of Standpoint about London's future will not be borne out.
  • Options

There are loads of reforms they could make, but then we also have the Tories with their stupid schools policy.
    So all the top BBC shows either get moved to Fridays or Sundays.
  • Options

So all the top BBC shows either get moved to Fridays or Sundays.
    And doesn't tackle the real issues with the current bbc funding model in the modern ages of mass multi channel, Internet access & on demand services.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Evening all: am now back after my unexpected adventure in the New York Presbyterian Hospital. I was upgraded to First Class BA which was really most enjoyable!

That Nick Cohen article is outstanding. That this is the state of Britush politics in 2016 is not surprising but very depressing.

Khan has a chance to tell Londoners now exactly how he is going to take on Islamust extremists. What will he do?

- ensure that no taxpayers' money is given to mosques or other organisations which host hate preachers (for instance, the East London mosque);
    - ensure that extremists are not given permission to speak on Mayoral-owned or controlled premises;
    - ensure that no extremists or persons associated with them are given any sort of role (employee, advisor, consultant) in his administration;
    - take action to challenge illiberal views by speaking to organisations, schools and others and by publicly challenging community leaders when they come out with extremist statements;
    - pushing back against those universities and other educational establishments which permit intimidation and gender segregation by Islamist student societies;
    - encouraging Muslims to report those possibly involved with terrorists or prone to radicalisation to the Prevent programme and/or the police;

Etc etc.

But the important thing for Khan to show is that he has actions in mind - if we are to believe that his "I'm the Muslim to take on extremists" shtick is something more than just a slogan - and that these amount to confronting the Muslim community and not just simply expressing sympathy for and solidarity with the Jewish community.

Let's hope so, eh?

Let's hope that the foreboding expressed in Daniel Johnson's article in the latest edition of Standpoint about London's future will not be borne out.

Khan will do the opposite. He will build his power base and try to ruin London.
  • Options
    It is hard to say which is worse...the loonies at the helm of the Labour party or the Tory party drifting into blundering chaos by tinkering around with those institutions of the state that the public hold in such high esteem?

Why are the Tories determined to tinker around with the BBC, health, schools at such political cost? I just don't get it.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    Hmm.

Do *any* of the potential contenders have the resolution necessafy to remove Casual Racism from the Left?

What would it look like afterwards? The Left without petty PC? Wow.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

Etc etc.

Let's hope so, eh?

Ofc a Tory like you would say that.

I say the opposite - Khan will be unifying factor in multi-cultural London.
  • Options
    tyson said:

It is hard to say which is worse...the loonies at the helm of the Labour party or the Tory party drifting into blundering chaos by tinkering around with those institutions of the state that the public hold in such high esteem?

Why are the Tories determined to tinker around with the BBC, health, schools at such political cost? I just don't get it.

Jonathan made the comment the other day that quality of current politicians is very poor & I totally agree.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

Etc etc.

Let's hope so, eh?

Not a hope. It is clear from the company he has kept in recent years who he will seek to continue to represent. He will divide and rule - just as his party colleagues have always sought to do in London.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

'Indeed, I think John Mcdonnell could be Labour's Michael Howard to Corbyn's IDS, from the same wing of the party, both Shadow Chancellor but both more media savvy, intelligent and heavy hitting. Howard did not win but he did ensure the Tories made modest progress in 2005 to set up their future recovery.'

Howard achieved a 3% swing and gained over 30 seats in 2005. If Mcdonnell were to manage that he would make it to No 10!

Wrong, Howard increased the Tory vote by 0.7%, he won more seats mainly because of Labour voters switching to the LDs (who also took off seats from Labour). The LDs would have backed a Labour government anyway. If McDonnell increased the Labour vote by 0.7% he would not end up PM, if Tory voters went to UKIP, UKIP would still prop up a minority Tory government and even if Labour won 30 seats off the Tories the Tories would still be largest party, especially with the boundary changes to come
    A 3% swing would be enough to put McDonnell in No 10! Boundary changes are far from certain.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RobD said:

Apparently Goldsmith's had another feck up today.

He was saying he was a big fan of Bollywood films, he was then asked which was his favourite Bollywood film, awkward silence.

What a tool, he should have said 'Sholay', the finest Bollywood film ever made.
    Cringeworthy... those kind of questions can only bite you in the bum if you aren't honest.
    He should have said "Arctic Monkeys"
  • Options
    Telegraph reporting they have a dossier of antisemitism among labourites
  • Options
    edited April 2016

murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

Etc etc.

Let's hope so, eh?

Not a hope. It is clear from the company he has kept in recent years who he will seek to continue to represent. He will divide and rule - just as his party colleagues have always sought to do in London.
    Anyway, the people of London will make their choice in 5 days...

I am optimistic for the future of London, unlike you...

I know that may not resonate with the majority on this right-wing blog but that is what I and a significant number of Londoners believe.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

Etc etc.

Let's hope so, eh?

That is my concern about him. He's good at slogans. But his past actions do not give confidence that he will take action now. The longer extremists are left unchallenged the stronger they grow and the worse the problems of anti-Semitism and terrorism and illiberal and anti-Western self-segregation will be.

Khan has, to his credit, spoken strongly about anti-Semitisn within Labour. Has he spoken equally strongly about anti-Semitism within the Muslim community?

• Options
    I kdon't now why politicians don't just be honest. Would anybody change their vote if zac had said I have seen a few bits & pieces of bollywood films & they look like fun but I am not expert.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn has come under renewed pressure as new details emerged about Labour’s failure to tackle anti-Semitism in its ranks.

A dossier compiled by The Telegraph includes a series of disturbing examples of anti-Semitic attitudes among party activists and leading members.

It follows the suspension from the party last week of Ken Livingstone, the former Mayor of London, and of Naz Shah, Labour MP for Bradford West, for making anti-Semitic comments.

Labour has announced an independent inquiry into anti-Semitism and other forms of racism within the party.

But Mr Livingstone, who was suspended after saying that Hitler supported Zionism “before he went mad and ended up killing six million Jews”, yesterday refused to withdraw his statements and claimed the Israeli Prime Minister agreed with him.

Our dossier reveals that:

 A London Labour council leader shared a Facebook post comparing the “terrorist state of Israel” to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil). He apologised and deleted it last night;

 Mr Corbyn questioned why an anti-Semitic mural in east London should be taken down;

The Labour leader also attended events run by self-confessed Holocaust denier Paul Eisen long after his views had become clear, and

A Labour council candidate used the derogatory term “Zios” to refer to Jews.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/30/pressure-grows-on-jeremy-corbyn-as-dossier-of-anti-semitism-in-l/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options

Telegraph reporting they have a dossier of antisemitism among labourites

Well who on earth would have predicted that?!
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

Etc etc.

Let's hope so, eh?

I know that may not resonate with the majority on this right-wing blog but that is what me and a significant number of Londoners believe.
    He wants to introduce racial discrimination: why does that make you opimistic?
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited April 2016

"He wants to introduce racial discrimination: why does that make you opimistic?"

Classic Tory propaganda...
  • Options
    As a Labour man I can see that Corbyn is a complete notright- personally combining an unholy alliance of principled superiority, a humour and charm bypass and lack lack of intelligence and insight. Farron...we can disregard because he is just hopeless.

But Cameron...I really don't get it. Why does he allow these mistakes to be made? The Lansley reforms, the big society nonsense, junior doctors, academies, disability cuts, the BBC. His judgement is just terrible.

tyson said:

Jonathan made the comment the other day that quality of current politicians is very poor & I totally agree.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Cyclefree said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

Etc etc.

Let's hope so, eh?

That is my concern about him. He's good at slogans. But his past actions do not give confidence that he will take action now. The longer extremists are left unchallenged the stronger they grow and the worse the problems of anti-Semitism and terrorism and illiberal and anti-Western self-segregation will be.

Khan has, to his credit, spoken strongly about anti-Semitisn within Labour. Has he spoken equally strongly about anti-Semitism within the Muslim community?

Maybe the better time to do that is after he's been elected.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

Etc etc.

Let's hope so, eh?

Khan's majority in a heavily Muslim area is now tiny. He evens splits his own religion! Not many people manage that. Here's another point; have you seen any current Labour Assembly Members out on the stump with Khan or tweeting positively about him? No, you haven't. They utterly despise him. He has gone to City Hall and told them he is the boss and they better listen. Khan is hated within the party. And he will be hated by Londoners.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    murali_s said:

"He wants to introduce racial discrimination: why does that make you opimistic?"

Classic Tory propaganda...
    His own policy for the police: discrimination against whites. Now, why does that make you opimistic?
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Cyclefree said:

Let's hope so, eh?

I know that may not resonate with the majority on this right-wing blog but that is what me and a significant number of Londoners believe.
    The last time we had a Labour Mayor he invited to London - to wonderful multi-cultural London - home to me and my truly multi-cultural diverse family - and praised a man who thought suicide bombing, beating of women, the killing of gays and the murder of Jews were acceptable. He held this man up as a "moderate", FFS!

Sometimes having a glass half-empty approach to the prospect of a Labour Mayor may be a reasonable one. I would like to be proved wrong but nothing in Khan's career thus far shows him to be a politician of good judgment and courage.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    The mural was painted on a property near Brick Lane by graffiti artist Kalen Ockerman, known as Mear One, in 2012 and depicted six hook-nosed bankers counting money on a board resting on the backs of four crouching, naked or semi-naked brown-skinned figures.
    :astonished:
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

'Indeed, I think John Mcdonnell could be Labour's Michael Howard to Corbyn's IDS, from the same wing of the party, both Shadow Chancellor but both more media savvy, intelligent and heavy hitting. Howard did not win but he did ensure the Tories made modest progress in 2005 to set up their future recovery.'

Howard achieved a 3% swing and gained over 30 seats in 2005. If Mcdonnell were to manage that he would make it to No 10!

Wrong, Howard increased the Tory vote by 0.7%, he won more seats mainly because of Labour voters switching to the LDs (who also took off seats from Labour). The LDs would have backed a Labour government anyway. If McDonnell increased the Labour vote by 0.7% he would not end up PM, if Tory voters went to UKIP, UKIP would still prop up a minority Tory government and even if Labour won 30 seats off the Tories the Tories would still be largest party, especially with the boundary changes to come
    A 3% swing would be enough to put McDonnell in No 10! Boundary changes are far from certain.
    No it would not and certainly not with a majority, the boundary changes are more likely than not
This discussion has been closed.