Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    The guy on Newsnight is sinking...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

On topic, I think Michael Gove or Theresa May are in pole position.

That's whom I'm betting on, for now, amongst a number of longer shots.

Gove has publicly stated that he doesn't want the top job. That need not in itself be a problem ("don't seek the office but if persuaded by one's friends that it is the best way I can serve" and all that crap). However he also at the same time publicly stated that he knew he did not have the attributes and skills required of a party leader, let alone a PM. That has to be fatal. Even if you believe that he was lying in the first part how does he overcome the second? "I know I said, I'd be useless at the job but I want you to give it to me anyway" - it doesn't and can't work.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:

@L_Springthorpe: Secretary of Croydon Labour Party says Livingstone's comments describing Hitler as a Zionist,were "largely accurate" https://t.co/MhpFxNEDJp

no sireee, no problem, not at all........ Riiiiiight
    http://tinyurl.com/hrc7c7b
  • Options
    Have we got to the bottom of who actually controls that twitter account?
  • Options

One of his family members
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

We now have the deepest snow of the winter.

#globalwarmingmyarse

You should look back at some of the threads back on here around 2007 when I said it was a load of rubbish, and was pretty much in a minority of one! The global warming apologists surprise surprise aren't so numerous these days.

I'd love to know if Dr David Viner is still around!

http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/325995/global-warming-hysteria-2000-english-children-will-not-know-snow-2010

I wonder what his reaction would have been if you'd told him then that there would be widespread snow on the 28th April 2016!
    Any one got a link to that Independent article from 1999 or 2000? Always good for a laugh.
    This is what you're looking for:

https://xkcd.com/1321/
    No where near as funny as the one I actually meant, but thanks nonetheless ;)
  • Options

One of his family members
    Not the first time they have tweeted something rather dodgy in the guys name.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sunil's MP on Newsnight. "Dreadful day for Labour".
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    What an entertaining day.

Will Cameron still be going on the campaign trail for the EU with Corbyn?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Jonathan said:

We've a split Tory party, a dead Liberal party and Labour finding innovative ways to discover new lows. Only the SNP look vaguely on top of things. Taken together, the party leaders are the weakest generation since 45. Political debate itself is dire. There hasn't been a good new idea in ages.

It's abysmal.

You are giving far too much salience to the referendum, which will be over in a few weeks. Yes, I agree that Labour's leadership is in a dire state, but the Conservative leadership certainly isn't, barmy posts here notwithstanding (I laughed out loud at some of the usual suspects saying, apparently with a straight face, that it was a 'disgrace' that Cameron had penned an article with Brendan Barber).
  • Options

Nothing new in that news - but Hunt will not back down and he has nothing to lose now
    Not surprised even more people blame the Government than they did in February?
    Not really interested. Hunt will win
  • Options
    Wes Streeting sticking the boot in...
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Scott_P said:

Labour still in total denial

"Racism is normally an attribute of the right" says Jon Trickett

Staggering comments. I don't think I've seen a mainstream party so effectively hit the self destruct button as the Labour party today. Even the worst days of the Tories under John Major, and there were many, seem miniscule in comparison to today.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    runnymede said:

What an entertaining day.

Will Cameron still be going on the campaign trail for the EU with Corbyn?

I assume that Zac will be calling for Cameron to stand down for sharing a platform with Corbyn. Not saying Cameron's an extremist, but he clearly provides cover and oxygen (etc)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I like the comment that I’ve just seen from Bernie Sanders
    "We have a situation now where Wall Street banks are not only too big to fail, they are too big to jail. That is unacceptable and that has got to change because America is based on a system of law and justice.”

Doesn’t the same apply here? When did we last see a big tax evader being taken from a dock to prison?

I think he stole that from Elizabeth Warren. It's still a real shame she didn't run.
    Then she stole it from an excellent Matt Taibbi article in Rolling Stone about the antics of HSBC that honestly made my jaw drop.

Quite old now but still has the power to shock: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/gangster-bankers-too-big-to-jail-20130214
    This refers to the HSBC that requires that, to become a signatory for a club account which turns over some £6k p.a. I attend a branch in person with a copy of the form I’ve signed, bringing two pieces of evidence, one with a reasonably recent photograph, and the other a recent (i.e. not more than three month old) utility bill. It also wanted, as well as my current address, where I’ve lived for 15 years, my previous address!
    Well in fairness how many suitcases of rolled up money were you offering to deposit?
    You can blame the EUanti money laundering rules for that.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Jason said:

Cameron, for all of his faults, is an election winner, and they do not grow on trees - as both the Tories and now Labour are discovering very painfully. A successful leader has to be a great frontman (or woman, oops), has to be a brilliant communicator, politically astute, has to look well, and has to appeal right across the board. But most important, I think, a good leader has to be ruthless. Cameron is certainly that (Mr Corbyn most certainly isn't). When he steps down, whatever their protestations are currently, the Tories will sorely miss him, as Labour have missed Blair, electorally at least, to the point of destruction. Isn't the sole purpose of a political party to win elections, where said party can at least try and implement what it believes to be right for the electorate?

Regarding Cameron's successor, I have been quietly impressed by Theresa May, who has done well in a notoriously difficult brief for a very long time indeed. But I go back to the core characteristics required of a successful leader (and most certainly to be a PM) - is she good enough as an all rounder to win a general election? Not so sure (unless Corbyn's still Labour leader, of course).

I find it very difficult to bet against Boris, accepting he's not covered himself in glory regarding the EU issue.

Here's the rub - do the Tories want an individual to win elections in the name of the Conservative party, like Blair and Labour, or do they want a blue blooded Conservative who the core will love, but the wider public shy away from, like Hague, IDS, or Howard?

It seems a new contender in town,from the left of the party and the tory right will love her ;-)

http://www.conservativehome.com/highlights/2016/04/profile-anna-soubry-the-street-fighter-emerging-as-the-leader-of-the-tory-left.html
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,920
    Why is Eck defending Nas Shah?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Nothing new in that news - but Hunt will not back down and he has nothing to lose now
    The Contract may well be implemented, but the rota gaps will get worse and be harder to cover. This will drive further doctors to quit or burnout. It will be a hollow victory.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Scott_P said:

One of the most unattractive things about politics is when people seem to genuinely believe their supposed position on the left-right spectrum (I say 'supposed' because I think the spectrum is largely a nonsense idea, as people flit about all across supposed left to right positions without necessarily realizing it) gives them moral superiority. You do see it all over, and it's how people can say horrible things while thinking they are the good guys, because if what they said was horrible, they'd be on the wrong side of the spectrum, the horrible side.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

Staggering comments. I don't think I've seen a mainstream party so effectively hit the self destruct button as the Labour party today. Even the worst days of the Tories under John Major, and there were many, seem miniscule in comparison to today.
    It'll blow over, I suspect. I don't know the extent of the problem within labour, or other parties for that matter, but we've already seen the insistence it is not that prevalent, ie not as big a deal as made out, though thankfully most seem to accept it is a concern. So some noises in the right direction, a few months of quiet will emerge at some point on this front, and things will go back to normal.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

Jonathan said:

We've a split Tory party, a dead Liberal party and Labour finding innovative ways to discover new lows. Only the SNP look vaguely on top of things. Taken together, the party leaders are the weakest generation since 45. Political debate itself is dire. There hasn't been a good new idea in ages.

It's abysmal.

You are giving far too much salience to the referendum, which will be over in a few weeks. Yes, I agree that Labour's leadership is in a dire state, but the Conservative leadership certainly isn't, barmy posts here notwithstanding (I laughed out loud at some of the usual suspects saying, apparently with a straight face, that it was a 'disgrace' that Cameron had penned an article with Brendan Barber).
    Quite right. This is the Tories' equivalent to the debate on unilateralism that ravaged the Left in the 1980s. Once the position is settled everyone will shrug and move on, being too exhausted to return to what is essentially a technocratic and esoteric matter. Life's too short.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    kle4 said:

hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

It'll blow over, I suspect. I don't know the extent of the problem within labour, or other parties for that matter, but we've already seen the insistence it is not that prevalent, ie not as big a deal as made out, though thankfully most seem to accept it is a concern. So some noises in the right direction, a few months of quiet will emerge at some point on this front, and things will go back to normal.
    The key is will it affect their vote next week and beyond. Time will tell. I hope the stupidity continues because deep down they are evil.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It's abysmal.

Oh so you are ok that Cameron who promised getting back the social contract powers from the EU now signs a statement saying that we must stay in the EU to have them set these policies.....?
  • Options
    Which seat is Ruth Davidson standing in?
  • Options
    Jason said:

Here's the rub - do the Tories want an individual to win elections in the name of the Conservative party, like Blair and Labour, or do they want a blue blooded Conservative who the core will love, but the wider public shy away from, like Hague, IDS, or Howard?

Although some thought and think Corbyn can in fact win elections nationally, many at the time of his accession claimed they preferred opting for a red blooded Labourite who the core would love, even if that meant the wider public shied away from.

Are the Tories at the point they would like to do the same? 2 months ago I'd have said no. Now, I'd say maybe.
  • Options
    On a lighter note...you gotta laugh...

Emma Thompson sprayed with manure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36160025
  • Options
    Dixie said:

kle4 said:

hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

The key is will it affect their vote next week and beyond. Time will tell. I hope the stupidity continues because deep down they are evil.
    By 'they' do you mean Labour, the Left generally or Corbynites?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,344
    AndyJS said:

Is she not just top of the Lothian List? Don't think she is standing in a constituency at all.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

British politics has never been in a worse state.

LOL! What a bizarre comment.

It was unambiguously worse from the mid 1960s until 1979, arguably worse from around 1989 until 1997, unambiguously worse from 2003 until 2010.

If you mean the Labour Party has never been in a worse state, then I might agree, although we are talking the precedence between a louse and a flea in comparing Labour today to Labour circa 1982.

It's abysmal.
    Just wait until all the corruption around 788 790 Finchley Road comes out into the mainstream. That will like today be one heck of a day to behold and witness.

Its all part of the wider cycle of declining confidence in governments worldwide. 1st October 2015 was the peak in government. Its all downhill into January 2020. As for there not being a good new idea in ages, the best idea would be largely for the government to get out of peoples lives as far as possible full stop. Yes we need some government - national defence / foreign policy and locally administered public services along the Swiss model if you ask me as a Libertarian. Throughout history when the going has got tough for governments, far from being there for the people, they've always turned AGAINST the people. 788 790 Finchley Road, the large scale child abuse despite the best attempts of the establishment to cover it up, the abuses of the secretive family courts, the total scam to collect more tax through supposed global warming, these and many more things show that the government is well and truly out of control.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Is she not just top of the Lothian List? Don't think she is standing in a constituency at all.
    Edinburgh Central.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Dixie said:

Well, Khan is odds on 1/15 on average and Zac is 8/1 on average. A 2 horse race, Zac's party in power, Khan's party in meltdown.You betters are keeping mighty quiet but if I were you I would put something on Zac.

I do have something big to share but I cannot until Tuesday night at earliest. It might be less important by then. Anyway, just have a look at Zac's odds, spend a quid or two.

Zac is still 11 with Betfair Exchange.
    But still a massive value bet. I will stop nagging. I just thought you chaps would bite, but you plainly think he has lost.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Edinburgh Central.
    So she is. I didn't know that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

hunchman said:

Scott_P said:

Possibly. All parties have their problems with racism, homophobia, etc. etc. from time to time, and really the big issue today is about message discipline (don't express any strong opinions unless they clearly advance the party's current narrative; and if that's too difficult, just don't say anything completely fucking moronic). I don't remember the last time I saw a politician of any party go even half as far past that line as Ken did today. And we still have idiots defending the content of what he said, rather than recognising that the truth of it is now irrelevant: the important bit is to stop talking. Right now, they're making UKIP's worst days look like a Mandelson/Campbell spin masterclass by comparison.

If it was only about anti-semitism, real and perceived, I'd agree with you that things would go back to normal, but if it's about a basic disintegration of party management, messaging and unity then it's going to get worse, because whenever an ill-judged comment by someone in the Labour party is fished out by Guido, 3 other morons will jump up to explain why it's OK.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

Jonathan said:

It's abysmal.

Regarding Barber, the Tories did a bit of snuggling up to the unions under Hague in about 1998. Consensus on pension reform was the hot topic if I recall. Curiously, Hague wasn't berated by the Right back then for treachery; instead he was ridiculed by the Left for a transparent and doomed attempt to appear moderate and sensible. How times change!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I predict this London poll out at midnight will show a big shrinkage in Khan's lead -- something like 2-4%.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Dixie said:

I tell you, he has a chance if turnout is low.

Hope so. I backed him months ago on the basis that Cameron wouldn't alienate Tory voters and there would be an obvious blow up in Labour about religion.

I was right with the second assumption.
    Cameron and IDS were the 2 things that held Zac back.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It's abysmal.

Oh so you are ok that Cameron who promised getting back the social contract powers from the EU now signs a statement saying that we must stay in the EU to have them set these policies.....?
    Whatever Big Brother says must be right, even if he said precisely the opposite yesterday.
  • Options

There's a London Mayoral phone poll out at midnight.

I'll be watching Captain America: Civil War then....

Interesting. I suspect Khan will be 10 points ahead. But the silent minority of 6 to 10 points may back Zac. So, as long as it is within 10, then there is hope for the good guys.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It's abysmal.

Regarding Barber, the Tories did a bit of snuggling up to the unions under Hague in about 1998. Consensus on pension reform was the hot topic if I recall. Curiously, Hague wasn't berated by the Right back then for treachery; instead he was ridiculed by the Left for a transparent and doomed attempt to appear moderate and sensible. How times change!
    You've got to feel for the right wing of the PLP. Previously they could have stormed off and joined the Tories over this anti-semitism blow up, but they'd never feel at home in a party with Cameron's left-wing views on trade unions.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Naz Shah had a pretty horrible childhood:

' Born in Bradford,[4] Shah was abandoned by her father when six years old after he ran off with their neighbour's sixteen-year-old daughter. At age 12, she was sent to Pakistan to avoid her mother, Zoora's, violent partner, whom Zoora fatally poisoned because she believed he was planning to sexually abuse her daughters. She served 14 years in prison for his murder. While in Pakistan, Shah was forced into an arranged marriage.[4][5] '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naz_Shah

More details here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11458810/Murderers-daughter-Naz-Shah-tells-why-she-is-standing-for-Parliament.html
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Jonathan said:

It's abysmal.

You've got to feel for the right wing of the PLP. Previously they could have stormed off and joined the Tories over this anti-semitism blow up, but they'd never feel at home in a party with Cameron's left-wing views on trade unions.
    :):)
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    runnymede said:

Polruan said:

Jonathan said:

It's abysmal.

if they nationalise steel - combined with the living wage and trade union deals, I might just rip up my membership card.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Sandpit said:

Why is Eck defending Nas Shah?

Yes, good question - I thought that was odd. He was playing the 'she was young', 'not an MP at the time', 'one off incident' routine.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I predict this London poll out at midnight will show a big shrinkage in Khan's lead -- something like 2-4%.

Won't most of the fieldwork have been carried out before today?
  • Options
    Dixie said:

AndyJS said:

Dixie said:

Well, Khan is odds on 1/15 on average and Zac is 8/1 on average. A 2 horse race, Zac's party in power, Khan's party in meltdown.You betters are keeping mighty quiet but if I were you I would put something on Zac.

I do have something big to share but I cannot until Tuesday night at earliest. It might be less important by then. Anyway, just have a look at Zac's odds, spend a quid or two.

Zac is still 11 with Betfair Exchange.
    But still a massive value bet. I will stop nagging. I just thought you chaps would bite, but you plainly think he has lost.
    I've put a bit on Zac hoping his price will shrink.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

' Born in Bradford,[4] Shah was abandoned by her father when six years old after he ran off with their neighbour's sixteen-year-old daughter. At age 12, she was sent to Pakistan to avoid her mother, Zoora's, violent partner, whom Zoora fatally poisoned because she believed he was planning to sexually abuse her daughters. She served 14 years in prison for his murder. While in Pakistan, Shah was forced into an arranged marriage.[4][5] '

More details here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11458810/Murderers-daughter-Naz-Shah-tells-why-she-is-standing-for-Parliament.html

Quite honestly, that still doesn't give her the right to espouse deeply troubling views that put her well outside the mainstream of what is considered acceptable in a modern society.
  • Options
    Burnham very powerful on Hillsborough. Quite right on the millions of taxpayers money spent to perpetuate the lies. But Hillsborough is far from an isolated case where this has gone on sadly. I would love a fresh inquiry into the Chinook helicopter crash on the Mull of Kintyre - thankfully under Liam Fox the pilots were exonerated back in 2011, but the real cause of the accident has never been got to the bottom of.....and the original pathologist report on the crash should be made freely available for all to see - fat chance of that though.

http://www.vijayvaani.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?aid=1813
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,081
    Hammond looks a good outside bet to be a John Major figure for at least one election

O/T Just got back from a very good performance of Sunset Boulevard with Glenn Close outstanding as Norma Desmond
  • Options
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Really ???

But I've read endlessly about how popular Ruth Davidson is.

Perhaps Davidson's chickenrunning should have given a clue.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

hunchman said:

RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

You should look back at some of the threads back on here around 2007 when I said it was a load of rubbish, and was pretty much in a minority of one! The global warming apologists surprise surprise aren't so numerous these days.

http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/325995/global-warming-hysteria-2000-english-children-will-not-know-snow-2010

I wonder what his reaction would have been if you'd told him then that there would be widespread snow on the 28th April 2016!
    Any one got a link to that Independent article from 1999 or 2000? Always good for a laugh.
    Looks like they have removed the original link to that article:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/12/one-of-the-longest-running-climate-prediction-blunders-has-disappeared-from-the-internet/

Those global warmists are quite literally in full retreat right now. They really are as pathetic as Ken Livingstone today.
    It's a shame it all turned out to be a hoax because I'd actually like it to get a bit warmer.
    Absolutely. The better times in history generally occur when the climate is warmer. Its going to get a lot lot colder between now and 2030, all the serious global climate experts agree on that.
  • Options

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Really ???

It turns out I was wrong and she is standing in Edinburgh Central. Not a seat I would give the tories a huge chance in under normal circumstances but she is.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sad but interesting theory

@lindasgrant 9m9 minutes ago
    Thought has grown all day that Ken Livingstone is showing early signs of dementia. Not just memory loss but a verbal incontinence.

There was something very "odd" about his TV performance. Not just drunk, but off-kilter.

He needs a carer, who, if they can supply 35 hours of personal care per week, would qualify for Carer's Allowance of £62.10 per week. Livingstone himself might qualify for Attendance Allowance (£82 a week).
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn MP @jeremycorbyn
    I would like to make it very clear that we do not tolerate anti-Semitism in any form within the Labour Party

We'll see as the weekend papers come in, I suspect.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Really ???

It turns out I was wrong and she is standing in Edinburgh Central. Not a seat I would give the tories a huge chance in under normal circumstances but she is.
    Odd that she's giving up her guaranteed list seat in favour of probably losing a constituency like Edinburgh Central.
  • Options

More details here:

Quite honestly, that still doesn't give her the right to espouse deeply troubling views that put her well outside the mainstream of what is considered acceptable in a modern society.
    Except those views ARE mainstream in the society she comes from.

Remember not just George Galloway but also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ward_(British_politician)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Pauly said:

runnymede said:

Polruan said:

Jonathan said:

It's abysmal.

if they nationalise steel - combined with the living wage and trade union deals, I might just rip up my membership card.
    You card is safe - EU laws prevent nationalisation.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Really ???

Odd that she's giving up her guaranteed list seat in favour of probably losing a constituency like Edinburgh Central.
    No she is on both. She is #1 for the Tories on the list and will be elected.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2016

I would like to make it very clear that we do not tolerate anti-Semitism in any form within the Labour Party

So why do anti-Semites only get a temporary ban from the party.
  • Options

He made it very clear what he really thinks when he failed to act against Livingstone (and Shah) until the pressure had built up to such an extent that he couldn't not act.

His lack of authority within the party hierarchy is becoming more evident. The whips stopped him acting against Mann today. Who is actually running Labour now?
  • Options
    Some thick people in the QT audience, unaware of the popularity of mobile phones in Africa.
  • Options

He made it very clear what he really thinks when he failed to act against Livingstone (and Shah) until the pressure had built up to such an extent that he couldn't not act.

His lack of authority within the party hierarchy is becoming more evident. The whips stopped him acting against Mann today. Who is actually running Labour now?
    Milne.
  • Options
    Just had a look at the front pages for tomorrow and they are pretty toxic for Labour. Surprisingly The Sun doesn't run with it on the front - which seems an odd choice.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Well to be fair there is probably some due process, rules etc, possibly even legal requirements.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Really ???

But wont she be on both the List and standing in a constituency ?
  • Options

Milne.
    If Milne was running it, Mann would have been out today.

It is beyond any political shambles that I can remember.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

GeoffM said:

hunchman said:

RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/12/one-of-the-longest-running-climate-prediction-blunders-has-disappeared-from-the-internet/

Those global warmists are quite literally in full retreat right now. They really are as pathetic as Ken Livingstone today.
    It's a shame it all turned out to be a hoax because I'd actually like it to get a bit warmer.
    Absolutely. The better times in history generally occur when the climate is warmer. Its going to get a lot lot colder between now and 2030, all the serious global climate experts agree on that.
    Apparently, it'll get much colder if we Brexit.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Really ???

But wont she be on both the List and standing in a constituency ?
    I thought it wasn't allowed but it is apparently. It is prohibited in Wales IIRC.
  • Options

More details here:

That society is not a modern one. We shouldn't accept medieval thought just because it comes from a different 'culture'

• Options
    hunchman said:

Burnham very powerful on Hillsborough. Quite right on the millions of taxpayers money spent to perpetuate the lies. But Hillsborough is far from an isolated case where this has gone on sadly. I would love a fresh inquiry into the Chinook helicopter crash on the Mull of Kintyre - thankfully under Liam Fox the pilots were exonerated back in 2011, but the real cause of the accident has never been got to the bottom of.....and the original pathologist report on the crash should be made freely available for all to see - fat chance of that though.

Burnham has been immensely impressive about Hillsborough achieving a level of recognition and respect very, very few politicians achieve in their entire careers.

It frankly makes his truly pathetic leadership campaign even more bewildering.
  • Options

The Contract may well be implemented, but the rota gaps will get worse and be harder to cover. This will drive further doctors to quit or burnout. It will be a hollow victory.
    I do respect your views as you are very involved but the threats have become too over the top by the doctors and talking about an indefinite strike is plain absurd. Hunt announced to the HOC that there will be 11,500 new doctors by 2020 to address the 7 day issue and he has also taken action to invest in more GP's. Where the additional doctors come from I have no idea but no doubt they will come from the EU and the commonwealth and he will also replace those who leave by the same means
  • Options
    Am I the only one who finds it bizarre that a year ago the leader of the opposition (and possible PM) was a lapsed Jew and now the leader of the opposition has spent all afternoon deciding whether to suspend a Nazi revisionist? And then claims that all this is some plot by people worried about the renewed strength of local labour parties.

How far Labour have travelled, how far...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Really ???

Not a huge chance in any circumstance.
  • Options

hunchman said:

GeoffM said:

hunchman said:

RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

Apparently, it'll get much colder if we Brexit.
    That's about the standard of the Remain arguments in this campaign!
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Makes you wonder what you have to do to get more than the naughty step treatment.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Really ???

Surely she wouldn't be elected if the SCON won a couple of Edinburgh constituencies and so weren't eligible for list MSPs ?

As happened in Wales in 2011:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Bourne
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Some thick people in the QT audience, unaware of the popularity of mobile phones in Africa.

Not the 'they aren't proper refugees, they have smartphones' crowd are they?

(Leaving aside smartphones may not necessarily be that expensive, if one is embarking upon risky long distance journey's, maintaining a phone seems like a good priority, as well as very easy to keep on your person even when much else is lost)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    AndyJS said:

Whatsapp !
  • Options
    DavidL said:

hunchman said:

Burnham has been immensely impressive about Hillsborough achieving a level of recognition and respect very, very few politicians achieve in their entire careers.

Except a friend in the pub last night pointed out that Burnham did nothing when he was Sports and Culture Minister. I've no idea, I can't recall what he was doing at the time.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    DavidL said:

hunchman said:

Not really. His Hillsborough campaign was essentially a back-bench campaign (even though Burnham was a front bencher). Leadership requires a very different set of skills
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Really ???

Not a huge chance in any circumstance.
    Pentlands was the one she could have had a chance of taking but Gordon Lindhurst is standing there. I agree Edinburgh Central is a seat where the tories normally struggle to come 3rd.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

GeoffM said:

I like the comment that I’ve just seen from Bernie Sanders
    "We have a situation now where Wall Street banks are not only too big to fail, they are too big to jail. That is unacceptable and that has got to change because America is based on a system of law and justice.”

Doesn’t the same apply here? When did we last see a big tax evader being taken from a dock to prison?

I think he stole that from Elizabeth Warren. It's still a real shame she didn't run.
    She might have been the first Red Indian President.

Don’t be racist! Native American is the term. And unless my calculations are awry, she’s somewhat less NA than Boris is Circassian. Allegedly.
    First Nations, I believe these days?
    Isn't First Nations the Canadian term, whereas Native American is the US term.
  • Options

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Really ???

Surely she wouldn't be elected if the SCON won a couple of Edinburgh constituencies and so weren't eligible for list MSPs ?

As happened in Wales in 2011:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Bourne
    Not going to happen. Pentlands is their best shot and that is a real longshot standing the strength of the SNP this time.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

Except a friend in the pub last night pointed out that Burnham did nothing when he was Sports and Culture Minister. I've no idea, I can't recall what he was doing at the time.
    Burnham got involved in it after he turned up to address the 20th anniversary memorial service in 2009 (as a local MP and minister for Sport) and got booed off the stage. Fair play to him for the huge efforts he has put into the cause since that day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z3mBIi084Q
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Absolutely. Even if you told them that they've gone straight to mobile networks as they never had the landline infrastructure of developed countries, they still wouldn't get it. The general lack of knowledge about development issues in Africa and South America amongst people who have never travelled there is staggering. Still when you get all the fraudulent £2 for this, £3 for that a month campaigns in the MSM that willfully keep the general population ignorant about these countries then that is what you get.

I never forget walking around the streets of La Paz in October 2007, lots of black market street stalls in the shadow economy with people getting along fine with no need for government in their lives, and strong family units much more effective than know all state welfare ever will be.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

hunchman said:

Burnham got involved in it after he turned up to address the 20th anniversary memorial service in 2009 (as a local MP and minister for Sport) and got booed off the stage. Fair play to him for the huge efforts he has put into the cause since that day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z3mBIi084Q
    Ok, fair play. I thought my friend's comment seemed a bit unlikely.
  • Options

More details here:

That society is not a modern one. We shouldn't accept medieval thought just because it comes from a different 'culture'

'We' have accepted it - from 'honour' killings to electoral fraud to industrial scale racist child rape to FGM to cousin marriage to sharia law and so on.
  • Options
    A British rider has failed an in-competition drugs test, British Cycling has confirmed.
  • Options
    Mail naming it as Simon Yates.
  • Options
    Interesting snooker world championships. Absolutely gutted on Monday night when Ronnie lost - Hawkins quarter final showed just how much that had taken out of him.

I'm now hoping that Ding will win it - would be a staggering achievement after having to play 3 qualifiers, and now in his 7th match. Having yesterday off did him a power of good. Likely final of Ding Selby.....and Ding would need to ensure that he doesn't get tied down in long safety exchanges with him.
  • Options

A British rider has failed an in-competition drugs test, British Cycling has confirmed.

Oh crap, not another one.
  • Options
    John Pienaar said on 10 O'cloock news: "Labour's reputation as the Party of Diversity and Tolerance is On THe Line" .... Labour will have to split into two.
  • Options

Makes you wonder what effect this week is going to have on the Rio medal haul.

Good night all.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Oh crap, not another one.
    Yates brothers are highly rated.
  • Options

More details here:

'We' have accepted it - from 'honour' killings to electoral fraud to industrial scale racist child rape to FGM to cousin marriage to sharia law and so on.
    And we have to undo that acceptance/tolerance. Rapidly.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Makes you wonder what effect this week is going to have on the Rio medal haul.

Good night all.
    Reminds me of the chaos of the swim team about 10 years ago & it ended in disaster at the Olympics.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Burnham started well. But that was a dreadful answer on the EU question.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I do respect your views as you are very involved but the threats have become too over the top by the doctors and talking about an indefinite strike is plain absurd. Hunt announced to the HOC that there will be 11,500 new doctors by 2020 to address the 7 day issue and he has also taken action to invest in more GP's. Where the additional doctors come from I have no idea but no doubt they will come from the EU and the commonwealth and he will also replace those who leave by the same means
    The number of WTE GP's in England is decreasing and in my own region half of GP training places are vacant. Nationally about 20% of junior doctors posts are vacant for August with the recruitment round complete.

Chorley recently could not employ enough doctors to staff their emergency department from anywhere in the world:

http://m.chorley-guardian.co.uk/news/local/no-date-for-reopening-of-chorley-hospital-s-accident-and-emergency-unit-says-trust-chief-executive-1-7877346

This is what the future will bring with Hunt in charge. He will be OK. Millionaires will be fine. It is the rest of us who have to worry.
This discussion has been closed.