Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    SeanT said:

Sad but interesting theory

@lindasgrant 9m9 minutes ago
    Thought has grown all day that Ken Livingstone is showing early signs of dementia. Not just memory loss but a verbal incontinence.

There was something very "odd" about his TV performance. Not just drunk, but off-kilter.

Sorry no. He's always been like this. It's just a petty way of trying to excuse his actions. Don't buy it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    SeanT said:

Fair play to the Guardian. This is a brutally honest and very eloquent article on Livingstone and the Left

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/28/antisemitism-rocked-labour-self-belief

She does a bit of whitewashed of the naz shah story...it was more than just a few Facebook shares, it was her employment choices and charity supporting..
  • Options
    Ali banned for rest of the season...least he will be well rested for the euros.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    http://www.opb.org/news/series/election-2016/donald-trump-poll-oregon-election/

Trump 17 points ahead in Oregon on 43 points, suspect he will get another plus 50 there.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Sandpit said:

I like the comment that I’ve just seen from Bernie Sanders
    "We have a situation now where Wall Street banks are not only too big to fail, they are too big to jail. That is unacceptable and that has got to change because America is based on a system of law and justice.”

Doesn’t the same apply here? When did we last see a big tax evader being taken from a dock to prison?

I think he stole that from Elizabeth Warren. It's still a real shame she didn't run.
    She'll hopefully run in 2020. Bernie won't run again and Hillary might not even if she wins this time.
    Hillary? Not run? While in office? It's a brave prediction. No first-term president has not contested re-election since Hayes in 1880, though that was part of the deal to unlock the 1876 election, so you'd have to go back before the Civil War for the last whose hands weren't publicly tied. I wouldn't expect Hillary to break the trend.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

British politics has never been in a worse state.

I'm not so sure. Having to choose between Lord North and the Marquess of Rockingham wasn't so good.
    If I knew then what I know now, I think I would have struggled between Wilson and Heath in the early 1970s.
    Not to worry - you also had Jeremy Th... oh.
    "I turn now to the evidence of Mr. Norman St. John Scott. He is a pervert, a parasite, a liar, a sponger, a worm; a man (or woman) who by his (or her) own admission......chews pillows. For kicks. But, he may still be telling the truth, members of the jury. That is entirely a matter for you."
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

SeanT said:

Sad but interesting theory

@lindasgrant 9m9 minutes ago
    Thought has grown all day that Ken Livingstone is showing early signs of dementia. Not just memory loss but a verbal incontinence.

There was something very "odd" about his TV performance. Not just drunk, but off-kilter.

Sorry no. He's always been like this. It's just a petty way of trying to excuse his actions. Don't buy it.
    GuarGuard article exposes this with his comments over the past 10 years.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Jesus, I'm rereading Netanyahu's rant in which he said Hitler didn't want to kill Jews until the 1940s, when the Muslims told him to. You think Livingstone was making some snide Holocaust quip in reference to that?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GeoffM said:

"We have a situation now where Wall Street banks are not only too big to fail, they are too big to jail. That is unacceptable and that has got to change because America is based on a system of law and justice.”

Doesn’t the same apply here? When did we last see a big tax evader being taken from a dock to prison?

I think he stole that from Elizabeth Warren. It's still a real shame she didn't run.
    She might have been the first Red Indian President.

Don’t be racist! Native American is the term. And unless my calculations are awry, she’s somewhat less NA than Boris is Circassian. Allegedly.
    Is it? It's so hard to keep up with what upsets people these days.

Not sure why Boris becomes relevant here because she's the one who claimed to be Fauxcahontas when at Harvard Law School, not him.

http://www.ibtimes.com/donald-trump-elizabeth-warren-indian-feud-update-senators-native-american-ancestry-2340546
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    hunchman said:

RobD said:

Perhaps lefties should just refrain from using the word Zionist.

I wonder what David Irving makes of today's events. Its been one heck of a crazy day. I'll for once watch the start of Question TIme and the inevitable first question............
    David "the Jews weren't gassed at Aushwitz" Irving?

Who cares?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

She'll hopefully run in 2020. Bernie won't run again and Hillary might not even if she wins this time.
    Could be a refreshing change.
    Very. I still think Trump will win this year, and that he will actually do a pretty good job in office despite the divisive rhetoric.

US politics needs to get the money out of it, it's completely pervasive and corrupting. The public have had enough, hence the Donald and the Bern. The process by which the parties nominate a candidate is also in major need of reform.
    How do they get the money out of it though - isn't it permitted due to various Supreme Court decisions, not easy to alter?
    Correct, it's ingrained in the system. The last Supreme Court case was Citizens United, which heralded what are known as Super PACs with unlimited budgets but supposedly at arms length and not communicating directly with candidates.

To get the big money out properly will probably require a Constitutional amendment, it could also be done to some extent by a friendly Supreme Court.

Of course there's nothing to stop candidates themselves from voluntarily controlling fundraising, I could imagine say Warren and Trump to agree to spend $1m a week on the campaign - then challenge any other candidate to match that commitment and bring it up in every debate until they agree. It might work if the electorate agree with the limit.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Car crash 10pm news....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    DavidL said:

We now have the deepest snow of the winter.

#globalwarmingmyarse

Is Dundee in the world though :D ?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

GeoffM said:

Don’t be racist! Native American is the term. And unless my calculations are awry, she’s somewhat less NA than Boris is Circassian. Allegedly.
    First Nations, I believe these days?
    I thought "Indian" (NOT "Red Indian") was in vogue, for reasons that completely elude me.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

First Nations, I believe these days?
    That doesn't even seem to be on the radar.

Most of 'em prefer "American Indian" according to the US Census Bureau

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/fts/bismarck_200504A16.html
  • Options
    edited April 2016

GeoffM said:

First Nations, I believe these da
    I thought "Indian" (NOT "Red Indian") was in vogue, for reasons that completely elude me.
    I believe first nation is the pc term in Canada rather than US.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Dixie said:

Well, Khan is odds on 1/15 on average and Zac is 8/1 on average. A 2 horse race, Zac's party in power, Khan's party in meltdown.You betters are keeping mighty quiet but if I were you I would put something on Zac.

I do have something big to share but I cannot until Tuesday night at earliest. It might be less important by then. Anyway, just have a look at Zac's odds, spend a quid or two.

Hmmm... Zac benefitting from a Labour meltdown. Could be...

But.

I work in financial services. My office is about as reliable a Tory bastion as could be.

Of the eight people in the front office, there were three Kahn supporters, one (unenthusiastic) Zac supporters, and three "don't like either of them, not going to vote". And me.

I have a UKIP/Conservative friend, who said (over a curry and a pint) "the moment he stuck up for taxi drivers over Uber was the day he lost my vote". I asked if he was going to vote for Peter Whittle - the UKIP candidate - and he said "I visited his website, and as it didn't contain a single policy, I shan't bother."

There is an utter dearth of decent mayoral candidates, and it's a disgrace.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    LondonBob said:

http://www.opb.org/news/series/election-2016/donald-trump-poll-oregon-election/

Trump 17 points ahead in Oregon on 43 points, suspect he will get another plus 50 there.

One of the fantasist anti-Trump journalists was claiming that Oregon and Washington State would be solidly for Cruz this week, which always sounded very dubious.
  • Options

Rochdale Pioneer
    "So as to create for each of us the means to realise our true potential"

Reading the quote from your membership card was very thought provoking and reminded me of my Uni days in the 80's. I was very lucky to have an excellent Politics Professor (Ivor Crew) who basically said-we all mostly agree where we want to be -we just profoundly disagree the best way of getting there.

The thing i find frustrating, both reading the comments on here and with politics in everyday life, is the lack of respect people seem to have for their opponents views-generally opponents are viewed with utter contempt and often hatred.

It does nothing to foster debate or understanding. Leave or Remain-neither side is trying to engage or understand the other-nor is either side trying to.

Within the Conservative party neither side is engaging with the other-therefore ON TOPIC-the back drop to the leadership contest within the Conservative Party will be "my enemies enemy is my friend" people will be voting as much as for whom they want as much as for whom those that they oppose do NOT want.

The next leader of the Conservative Party will be as divisive a person as Corbyn is for Labour.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

Well, Khan is odds on 1/15 on average and Zac is 8/1 on average. A 2 horse race, Zac's party in power, Khan's party in meltdown.You betters are keeping mighty quiet but if I were you I would put something on Zac.

I do have something big to share but I cannot until Tuesday night at earliest. It might be less important by then. Anyway, just have a look at Zac's odds, spend a quid or two.

But.

I work in financial services. My office is about as reliable a Tory bastion as could be.

Of the eight people in the front office, there were three Kahn supporters, one (unenthusiastic) Zac supporters, and three "don't like either of them, not going to vote". And me.

I have a UKIP/Conservative friend, who said (over a curry and a pint) "the moment he stuck up for taxi drivers over Uber was the day he lost my vote". I asked if he was going to vote for Peter Whittle - the UKIP candidate - and he said "I visited his website, and as it didn't contain a single policy, I shan't bother."

Can you urge your UKIP friend to vote pretty please ?
  • Options
    Sadly you can fight against hatred, but it is a powerful force in many forms.

To consider one person in this week's political news, a backer of REMAIN, as it happens, imagine if the Jeremy Clarkson sacking story had involved calling a producer a "whatever-sterotype Jewish ****" instead of a "lazy Irish ****". Hopefully it would have focused his sympathisers' minds and minimised the complaints about the lefty BBC dropping millions of pounds of exports.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Hillary? Not run? While in office? It's a brave prediction. No first-term president has not contested re-election since Hayes in 1880, though that was part of the deal to unlock the 1876 election, so you'd have to go back before the Civil War for the last whose hands weren't publicly tied. I wouldn't expect Hillary to break the trend.
    That far back? Hillary will be 73 in 2020 though, older than any other President bar Reagan. In fact only Reagan and Eisenhower had a 70th birthday in office.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

GeoffM said:

First Nations, I believe these da
    I believe first nation is the pc term in Canada rather than US.
    That'd explain it.
  • Options
    This column is by way of an apology to Sadiq Khan. The Labour MP is the favourite to be the next mayor of London; he has run the better campaign for the post and is probably the best candidate.

By last weekend, I had concluded that he deserved my vote. Today, however, I know that he cannot have it because right now it is simply impossible to see how Jews can vote for a Labour party that does not appear to like them.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5e642d92-0c57-11e6-9456-444ab5211a2f.html#axzz46v1gNw3Z
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    edited April 2016

Then she stole it from an excellent Matt Taibbi article in Rolling Stone about the antics of HSBC that honestly made my jaw drop.

Quite old now but still has the power to shock: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/gangster-bankers-too-big-to-jail-20130214
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

This column is by way of an apology to Sadiq Khan. The Labour MP is the favourite to be the next mayor of London; he has run the better campaign for the post and is probably the best candidate.

By last weekend, I had concluded that he deserved my vote. Today, however, I know that he cannot have it because right now it is simply impossible to see how Jews can vote for a Labour party that does not appear to like them.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5e642d92-0c57-11e6-9456-444ab5211a2f.html#axzz46v1gNw3Z

run the best campaign? He has lied, lied, lied and lied again. he did again today talking about Ken. He is no different from Livingstone. Best liar. Only one man has integrity. And it ain't Khan.
  • Options

I can't read the article due to the yuuuuuuuuuuge popup
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Crisis what crisis, it is just some people in the labour party edgy at the strength of the local organisations....so says Jahadi Jez...
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

You should look back at some of the threads back on here around 2007 when I said it was a load of rubbish, and was pretty much in a minority of one! The global warming apologists surprise surprise aren't so numerous these days.

I'd love to know if Dr David Viner is still around!

http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/325995/global-warming-hysteria-2000-english-children-will-not-know-snow-2010

I wonder what his reaction would have been if you'd told him then that there would be widespread snow on the 28th April 2016!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited April 2016
    BBC fair and balanced as always

On the mobile site, two of the four stories are "What Trump got wrong on the Mid East" and "10 people who loathe Ted Cruz".
  • Options
    EPG said:

Sadly you can fight against hatred, but it is a powerful force in many forms.

To consider one person in this week's political news, a backer of REMAIN, as it happens, imagine if the Jeremy Clarkson sacking story had involved calling a producer a "whatever-sterotype Jewish ****" instead of a "lazy Irish ****". Hopefully it would have focused his sympathisers' minds and minimised the complaints about the lefty BBC dropping millions of pounds of exports.

It would have been a very inappropriate insult.

After all, the chances of someone named Oisin Tymon being directly related to one of the architects of the Temple of King Solomon are fairly small.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited April 2016
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Fair play to the Guardian. This is a brutally honest and very eloquent article on Livingstone and the Left

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/28/antisemitism-rocked-labour-self-belief

She does a bit of whitewashed of the naz shah story...it was more than just a few Facebook shares, it was her employment choices and charity supporting..
    Sure, but at least she begins to admit that the Left is now poisoned by this nastiness. A small but necessary first step.
    Poor old Graun. In the midst of their current woes, they daren't open the comments under all these articles to their enlightened Corbynista readership, thus depressing even further the clicks and therefore the price they can charge advertisers..
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Google "How Jeremy Corbyn turned me into a political Jew Financial TImes' and you won't get the huge pop up
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    rcs1000 said:

Dixie said:

But.

OK, dwell on this. 2 in 3 people will not vote. so, only 3 votes are expected out of those 8. That's average. Zac didn't back the cabs over Uber, her backed both. Tories like competition. Lastly, a disproportionate number of Tory voters don't work at all, they are retired. Let's add in 3 more to your office, sitting at home. 2 will be for Zac, 1 for Khan. SO, if you vote blue, that's 4 each. I tell you, he has a chance if turnout is low.
  • Options
    RobD said:

BBC fair and balanced as always

On the mobile site, two of the four stories are "What Trump got wrong on the Mid East" and "10 people who loathe Ted Cruz".

They got it just about right as always ;-)
  • Options
    hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

You should look back at some of the threads back on here around 2007 when I said it was a load of rubbish, and was pretty much in a minority of one! The global warming apologists surprise surprise aren't so numerous these days.

http://www.nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/325995/global-warming-hysteria-2000-english-children-will-not-know-snow-2010

I wonder what his reaction would have been if you'd told him then that there would be widespread snow on the 28th April 2016!
    Any one got a link to that Independent article from 1999 or 2000? Always good for a laugh.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Crypes

Both those stories make an utterly appalling front page for Labour
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Google "How Jeremy Corbyn turned me into a political Jew Financial TImes' and you won't get the huge pop up
    Just be sure to delete your history so you significant other doesn't see it!
  • Options
    There's a London Mayoral phone poll out at midnight.

I'll be watching Captain America: Civil War then....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @L_Springthorpe: Secretary of Croydon Labour Party says Livingstone's comments describing Hitler as a Zionist,were "largely accurate" https://t.co/MhpFxNEDJp
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Dixie said:

I tell you, he has a chance if turnout is low.

Hope so. I backed him months ago on the basis that Cameron wouldn't alienate Tory voters and there would be an obvious blow up in Labour about religion.

I was right with the second assumption.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

Interesting article. It:s a helpful way to look at the next Tory leader/PM question, I think.

I agree that laying Boris is the clearest course right now.

If there were no referendum then I would seriously fancy Hammond's chances: unflashy senior minister, not noticeably on manoeuvres, not noticeably anything in fact.

But, there is a referendum. Isn't the most likely outcome that Gove is in the last two and wins? Of your unCameron traits the most salient will be Eurosceptic which, these days, means Leaver. At least one Leaver will be in the last two and if it's not Boris it is very likely to be Gove.

And my impression is that the membership will choose Leavitude over electability, so Gove would beat May or Hammond.

Of course, this all assumes an early contest.

I'm not sure the members would go for Gove over Hammond. I'm not sure, for that matter, that MPs would. Gove is a very interesting politician but I don't think his style is suited to leadership. I've been trying to think of a parallel and strangely, in a mirror-like way, the best I can come up with is Michael Foot: intellectual, more complex than first impressions imply, polite but stubborn, and wholly unsuited to the horsetrading and vote-winning that leadership needs.

Hammond's great advantage is that he is dull. Alastair rightly quotes the fat-pope-thin-pope principle (if by another name). After what might be seen as an excess of PR, dull competence could well be a virtue. It would also contrast favourably with Corbyn. Why roll the dice when the opposition is playing 2-3-5?
    Foot isn't a bad parallel for Gove. Of course, Foot did become leader of his party inspite of his painfully obvious unsuitability.

But isn't the question whether two Remainers will head the MP ballot (assuming Remain wins - clearly they won't if it doesn't)? I am thinking that at least one Leaver is likely to get through.

I guess the key is how many of the Leave-supporting MPs see Leavishness as essential.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    A little bit more fuel for the firestorm engulfing Labour.

But no crisis, nope nothing to see here.

http://hurryupharry.org/2016/04/28/interpal-joins-labours-storm/
  • Options
    RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

Any one got a link to that Independent article from 1999 or 2000? Always good for a laugh.
    Looks like they have removed the original link to that article:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/12/one-of-the-longest-running-climate-prediction-blunders-has-disappeared-from-the-internet/

Those global warmists are quite literally in full retreat right now. They really are as pathetic as Ken Livingstone today.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

You are making the noobish error of confusing weather with climate.

April 2016 will almost certainly be the warmest April ever recorded globally. Look at the global temperature traces over the last 150 years. It's getting warmer...
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    There appears to be more Hitler fans in the current labour party than in the BNP!!!
  • Options
    At the risk of overstating things the headlines seem somewhat less than optimal for Labour 1 week before the most important set of elections until the next General Election.

I found the idea that Labour might have a net loss of councillors to go with zero constituencies in Scotland and the loss of a majority in Wales just a little hard to credit in the too good to be true category. Now I am not so sure.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/12/one-of-the-longest-running-climate-prediction-blunders-has-disappeared-from-the-internet/

Those global warmists are quite literally in full retreat right now. They really are as pathetic as Ken Livingstone today.
    Thankfully the Internet never forgets ;)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sure, but at least she begins to admit that the Left is now poisoned by this nastiness. A small but necessary first step.
    Poor old Graun. In the midst of their current woes, they daren't open the comments under all these articles to their enlightened Corbynista readership, thus depressing even further the clicks and therefore the price they can charge advertisers..
    Anyone opening comments for an article about Israel and Palestine or Jews and Muslims had better have a large team of moderators. Not a subject that tends to bring polite and nuanced points of discussion to the postings.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

April 2016 will almost certainly be the warmest April ever recorded globally. Look at the global temperature traces over the last 150 years. It's getting warmer...
    Who needs facts when you can have a good rant about Libruls and share links about one man who said something that was wrong.
  • Options
    Watching the DP on Iplayer.
    Ken should have been dragged off stage and out of the studio by the party spin doctors.
    What on earth were they playing at?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Failed to win over Wales.

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/725784602359521281

The Tafia's Revenge.

Corbyism sweeping the nation....
    Does this mean Welsh Labour are tories?

• Options
    Nothing new in that news - but Hunt will not back down and he has nothing to lose now
  • Options
    RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

If I recall @Plato_Says mentioned the other day that the original had been deleted.

(Apologies to Plato if it was somebody else)
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Hug your English NHS close, Sir. Especially at your vintage.

You wouldn't want one like we've got in Wales.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    DavidL said:

Then she stole it from an excellent Matt Taibbi article in Rolling Stone about the antics of HSBC that honestly made my jaw drop.

Quite old now but still has the power to shock: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/gangster-bankers-too-big-to-jail-20130214
    This refers to the HSBC that requires that, to become a signatory for a club account which turns over some £6k p.a. I attend a branch in person with a copy of the form I’ve signed, bringing two pieces of evidence, one with a reasonably recent photograph, and the other a recent (i.e. not more than three month old) utility bill. It also wanted, as well as my current address, where I’ve lived for 15 years, my previous address!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

Is Dundee in the world though :D ?
    Yes...But thanks for the thought.
  • Options
    EPG said:

murali_s said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

Who needs facts when you can have a good rant about Libruls and share links about one man who said something that was wrong.
    eh, I believe in climate change. But I also believe in mocking absurd lefties.
  • Options

//twitter.com/suttonnick/status/725796499532165120

The DT can't even be bothered to put quotes around the quote!!! That's really bad for Ken.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

It's a shame it all turned out to be a hoax because I'd actually like it to get a bit warmer.
  • Options
    Just back from qt. Labour and anti seminitism, Hillsborough, referendum / immigration.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Ken should have been dragged off stage and out of the studio by the party spin doctors.

Probably there without them knowing? :p
  • Options

DavidL said:

This refers to the HSBC that requires that, to become a signatory for a club account which turns over some £6k p.a. I attend a branch in person with a copy of the form I’ve signed, bringing two pieces of evidence, one with a reasonably recent photograph, and the other a recent (i.e. not more than three month old) utility bill. It also wanted, as well as my current address, where I’ve lived for 15 years, my previous address!
    Well in fairness how many suitcases of rolled up money were you offering to deposit?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That far back? Hillary will be 73 in 2020 though, older than any other President bar Reagan. In fact only Reagan and Eisenhower had a 70th birthday in office.
    Yes, so there's an older precedent in the recent past. If her health holds up it would be remarkable if she didn't stand again. Likewise Trump if the election lights on him.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Anyone opening comments for an article about Israel and Palestine or Jews and Muslims had better have a large team of moderators. Not a subject that tends to bring polite and nuanced points of discussion to the postings.
    Indeed there are 1 or 2 PB regulars who are strangely absent too.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

This is what you're looking for:

https://xkcd.com/1321/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    edited April 2016
    Sandpit said:

//twitter.com/suttonnick/status/725796499532165120

The DT can't even be bothered to put quotes around the quote!!! That's really bad for Ken.
    A godsend (or MannSend in this case) for them to be able to use such a direct attack thanks to it being a quote though. Can't normally get away with that.

Sometimes with these stories I feel you get a split photo showing the leader of the party in question, since they will be under fire generally too, but including Corbyn under that headline would likely have been a step too far.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Jonathan said:

LOL! What a bizarre comment.

It was unambiguously worse from the mid 1960s until 1979, arguably worse from around 1989 until 1997, unambiguously worse from 2003 until 2010.

If you mean the Labour Party has never been in a worse state, then I might agree, although we are talking the precedence between a louse and a flea in comparing Labour today to Labour circa 1982.
  • Options

Seumas Milne, remember? Was probably applauding Ken from the sidelines.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Dixie said:

Zac is still 11 with Betfair Exchange.
  • Options
    Newsnight or QT...oh what a choice...
  • Options

RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

Chortle, it's all about mocking lefties, even at the expense of promoting things we don't really believe that could damage the earth!
  • Options
    Watch out for the 188 day earthquake cycle that falls due around the 3rd May if you're in an active zone. Great stresses appear to be building up on the West Coast of the USA - a Cascadia fault earthquake could potentially be devastating to Portland and Seattle in Oregon, lets hope not. Yellowstone seems to have been showing signs of heightened activity recently as well, but forecasting that is a mugs game:

Since at least March 11, 2011 (and possibly before) there has been a powerful earthquake of at least 6.0 (mostly in the 7 to 9 range, however) somewhere in the world following a pattern of occurring exactly every 188th day, with the exception of only 2 instances where the 188 day mark was missed. On these missed instances the quake struck within 3 days of the predicted cycle. This is why I give it a 4 day grace period. The cycle has already proven itself to be an accurate pattern for at least nine separate events. Below is a list of each seismic event lining up with the cycle. You may check these dates and seismic histories for yourself if you wish.
    MARCH 11, 2011 - JAPAN 9.0
    SEPTEMBER 15, 2011 - FIJI 7.3
    MARCH 21, 2012 - OAXACA, MEXICO 7.4
    SEPTEMBER 25, 2012 - BAJA CALIFORNIA 6.3
    APRIL 1, 2013 - JAPAN 6.0
    OCTOBER 6, 2013 - WEST CHILE RISE 6.2
    APRIL 12, 2014 - SOLOMON ISLANDS 7.6
    OCTOBER 17, 2014 - EL SALVADOR 7.3 (actual: OCT 14)
    APRIL 23, 2015 - NEPAL 7.8 (actual: APR 25)
    Future Cycle Dates:
    OCTOBER 28, 2015
    MAY 3, 2016
    NOVEMBER 7, 2016
    MAY 14, 2017

• Options
    edited April 2016
    God even Newsnight are mocking jezza.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Nothing new in that news - but Hunt will not back down and he has nothing to lose now
    Not surprised even more people blame the Government than they did in February?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I've been trying to think of a parallel and strangely, in a mirror-like way, the best I can come up with is Michael Foot: intellectual, more complex than first impressions imply, polite but stubborn, and wholly unsuited to the horsetrading and vote-winning that leadership needs.

I was thinking along similar lines the other day. My best two candidates for politicians of the past like Michael Gove were Keith Joseph and Robin Cook. Both estimable, perhaps great, but neither necessarily well suited to be leader.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It was unambiguously worse from the mid 1960s until 1979, arguably worse from around 1989 until 1997, unambiguously worse from 2003 until 2010.

If you mean the Labour Party has never been in a worse state, then I might agree, although we are talking the precedence between a louse and a flea in comparing Labour today to Labour circa 1982.
    I was starting with 1642, to be honest.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Wow John sweeney going nuttso on Hitler-gate.

Is John Jewish? As I think he nearly thumped him.when ken was going on about mein kampf
  • Options

There appears to be more Hitler fans in the current labour party than in the BNP!!!

Their anti Semitic has become SSistemic....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@L_Springthorpe: Secretary of Croydon Labour Party says Livingstone's comments describing Hitler as a Zionist,were "largely accurate" https://t.co/MhpFxNEDJp

no sireee, no problem, not at all........ Riiiiiight
  • Options
    Get ready for wee eck defending Shah on Qt tonight
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016
    SeanT said:

She's either lying or she is a disgrace. She needs a proper political reason to call a second referendum within 15 years of the first. Given that she'd very likely lose a vote, thanks to oil, I'm calling it a lie, to placate her nutty new membership.

If she means it, HMG should simply refuse, should she try (absent a sound constitutional reason).
    I thought 2014 was "a once in a lifetime opportunity". According to none other than Nicola Sturgeon:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24147303
  • Options
    Jon Trickett says Labour kicked out all anti-semites within 48 hours...

So that's all right then.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Jon Trickett says Labour kicked out all anti-semites within 48 hours...

So that's all right then.

Except they haven't been kicked out...
  • Options
    So only one poll over 50% would trigger it. Let's hope for no rogue polls. Better still, the government should outlaw polling on Scottish Independence. Union secured forever!
  • Options

RobD said:

hunchman said:

DavidL said:

#globalwarmingmyarse

LOL.

John Casey on the money as ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9I6sqDnmS8

and NOAA caught openly manipulating temperature data:

http://realclimatescience.com/2015/11/record-crushing-fraud-from-noaa-and-nasa-ahead-of-paris/

Sooner or later lies have a habit of catching up with the perpetrator. As the climate cools and cools, life only gets tougher for the global warming apologists.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited April 2016
    Cameron, for all of his faults, is an election winner, and they do not grow on trees - as both the Tories and now Labour are discovering very painfully. A successful leader has to be a great frontman (or woman, oops), has to be a brilliant communicator, politically astute, has to look well, and has to appeal right across the board. But most important, I think, a good leader has to be ruthless. Cameron is certainly that (Mr Corbyn most certainly isn't). When he steps down, whatever their protestations are currently, the Tories will sorely miss him, as Labour have missed Blair, electorally at least, to the point of destruction. Isn't the sole purpose of a political party to win elections, where said party can at least try and implement what it believes to be right for the electorate?

Regarding Cameron's successor, I have been quietly impressed by Theresa May, who has done well in a notoriously difficult brief for a very long time indeed. But I go back to the core characteristics required of a successful leader (and most certainly to be a PM) - is she good enough as an all rounder to win a general election? Not so sure (unless Corbyn's still Labour leader, of course).

I find it very difficult to bet against Boris, accepting he's not covered himself in glory regarding the EU issue.

Here's the rub - do the Tories want an individual to win elections in the name of the Conservative party, like Blair and Labour, or do they want a blue blooded Conservative who the core will love, but the wider public shy away from, like Hague, IDS, or Howard?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

We've a split Tory party, a dead Liberal party and Labour finding innovative ways to discover new lows. Only the SNP look vaguely on top of things. Taken together, the party leaders are the weakest generation since 45. Political debate itself is dire. There hasn't been a good new idea in ages.

It's abysmal.
  • Options
    Labour still in total denial

"Racism is normally an attribute of the right" says Jon Trickett
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited April 2016
    Can someone get the message out - Just shut the fcuk up.

Guido Fawkes Retweeted
    Gavin Barwell MP ‏@GavinBarwellMP
    Gavin Barwell MP Retweeted Croydon Advertiser
    So @UKLabour @CroydonLabour are you going to suspend @davidwhite020? @GuidoFawkes

Croydon Advertiser
    @CroydonAd
    Secretary of Croydon Central Labour Party: 'Livingstone's Hitler comments were accurate' http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Secretary-Croydon-Central-Labour-Party-says-Ken/story-29194822-detail/story.html
This discussion has been closed.