Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Obama’s “back of the queue” response on a US trade deal is

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

As a matter of curiosity, why bleach chicken with Chlorine? Antimicrobial, preservative or cosmetic bleaching?

I rarely eat chicken anyway, just curious.

Cosmetic innit? So when you bite into your KFC you see nothing but gleaming breast meat.
    Not here you don't ;) I was quite surprised on my first trip to a KFC here some years ago, the local chickens are rather smaller than those we are used to in the UK (farming is semi-organic by necessity because the farmers can't afford the agrichemicals) and my KFC Chicken Breast burger consisted of about 4-5 chicken breasts, it tasted fine, but the burger rather falls apart when you bite into it!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Help!

Wanted to vote first preference for someone other than Zac... But the choice is dreadful:

(1) Sadiq Khan - no way. Poor judgement in friends and quotas are terrible
    (2) Sian Berry (Green) - rent controls and forcing people to let their properties is a terrible move in terms of the quality of long-term housing stock
    (3) Lee Harris - weed-obsessed
    (4) Ankit Love - self-obsessed
    (5) George Galloway - left wing nutter
    (6,7) Paul Golding & David Furness - right wing nutters
    (8) Prince Zylinski - just a nutter
    (9) Caroline Pidgeon (Lib Dems) - wants to get develops to build more houses while guaranteeing that 50% of new developments are affordable homes. Doesn't work like that, duckie.
    (10) Sophie Walker (Women's Equality) - want to stop violence against women but don't seem to have a policy on violence against men
    (11) Peter Whittle (UKIP) - not while Farage is in charge

Your vote will be interpreted as showing support, so if you think they're all rubbish you shouldn't vote for any of them. If you don't like Zac but much prefer him to Sadiq you should vote for him, I suppose, but an option is to spoil your ballot paper with a note on your preferred cause (Heathrow or whatever) - candidates do get a list of the things written and may give them a passing glance, if only for amusement. The influence on the outcome of one vote will be appproximately similar, so it depends on whether you want a microscopic policy hint or a microscopic support for Zac.
    My message to Zac is that it's not right to spend five years of your married life shagging another woman.
    Sounds like you should vote Womens Equality Party then.

My cousin Alice was equally culpable. Does that count?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

Just back from an extended morning walk during which I got ambushed by a lady from the local Labour Party who were out leafleting and accosting passers-by in the High Street. She asked me if I would be voting in the referendum, I told her I would most certainly be doing so and she was pleased. I told her I would be voting to Leave, she looked horrified and started wibbling on about the economic arguments. I politely cut her short and told her that the issue of trade was, as far as I am concerned, neither here nor there; the people of the UK have been trading with the rest of the world since the bronze age and always will. However, I would prefer to see the UK return to being a self-governing state where the laws are made by Parliament and interpreted and enforced by UK judges and courts. She said, "So you are isolationist".

Nice lady, middle-class retired teacher, though the fact that she could interpret a person wanting to be in an outward-facing, but self-governing, trading nation as an "isolationist" makes me fear for her former pupils. Still being called an isolationist was a pleasant change of insult and perhaps a bit nicer that the usual cries of headbanger, swivel-eyed loon, and obsessive etc. that get thrown at people who are in favour of "Out" on this site.

Afternoon Mr L, hope you had a good walk.

It occurred to me that we are perhaps approaching a time when the post crisis generation leaders are about to all bugger off.

Obama is off at the end of the year, Cameron has already said he is going, Merkel is in deep trouble and may well lose and I can't see Hollande winning either.

Somehow by 2017 the world may well be a difffernt place politically.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

As a matter of curiosity, why bleach chicken with Chlorine? Antimicrobial, preservative or cosmetic bleaching?

Cosmetic innit? So when you bite into your KFC you see nothing but gleaming breast meat.
    A further reason to avoid factory farmed chicken then, and takeaways.
    Quite right, Doc, and another damned good reason why animal welfare and food regulations in this country need to be overhauled.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

HurstLama said:

Nice lady, middle-class retired teacher, though the fact that she could interpret a person wanting to be in an outward-facing, but self-governing, trading nation as an "isolationist" makes me fear for her former pupils. Still being called an isolationist was a pleasant change of insult and perhaps a bit nicer that the usual cries of headbanger, swivel-eyed loon, and obsessive etc. that get thrown at people who are in favour of "Out" on this site.

Think that quote of isolation was used by Obama this morning at his Town Hall meeting
    She was wrong and he was wrong. It rather curious to describe a philosophy of wanting to break out of the constraints of the EU and trade freely with the whole world as "isolationist". In this campaign it seems to be adopting the same sort of venom as "racist" and is going to reach the same level of meaninglessness from overbroad and badly informed application.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Fox

California: Trump 49, Cruz 22, Kasich 20
    Indiana: Trump 41, Cruz 33, Kasich 16

Would get Trump the nomination.

"If he makes these numbers, Trump would finish the primary season with at least 1,240 delegates – over the magic number. Obviously, this would be a perilous path with little margin for error. A loss in Indiana, for instance, would knock his final number well under 1,237. That said, a stronger win in California than we’re penciling in here could push him well past 1,237."

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/donald-trumps-path-1237-delegates
    I mean, it's a perilous path to get 1,237 before the Convention. But Trump can rely on 20 delegates on the first vote, maybe more. Naturally he'd prefer to win before the Convention, but, hey, a win's a win.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    edited April 2016

Hahaha is this another Jekyl and Hyde flip into neo-liberalism because you're on the side of TTIP? I thought left wingers believed in state regulation to protect people!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Barnesian said:

If LEAVE wins, I suspect we will get a US biased TTIP for the UK when our turn in the queue comes up. If REMAINS wins, I suspect we will get a heavily watered down version of TTIP without ISDS.

I was with you until the last sentence. There won't be a deal without ISDS or something very similar. The most adventurous proposals so far talk about making the hearings a bit less private, and for there being rather more consideration about how the judges are appointed. Ultimately investors are not going to put their money down where there isn't some impartial system for judging if a country is trying to bend/break the rules in its own interests.

This is the current proposal for the "new" ISDS http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-5651_en.htm
    Yes; TPP ISDS tribunals are in private, and the current proposal (which is by no means certain to be approved), is for TIPP ones to have public deliberations.
    Private ISDS tribunals are an abomination. Public ISDS tribunals are just completely terrible.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Help!

Wanted to vote first preference for someone other than Zac... But the choice is dreadful:

(1) Sadiq Khan - no way. Poor judgement in friends and quotas are terrible
    (2) Sian Berry (Green) - rent controls and forcing people to let their properties is a terrible move in terms of the quality of long-term housing stock
    (3) Lee Harris - weed-obsessed
    (4) Ankit Love - self-obsessed
    (5) George Galloway - left wing nutter
    (6,7) Paul Golding & David Furness - right wing nutters
    (8) Prince Zylinski - just a nutter
    (9) Caroline Pidgeon (Lib Dems) - wants to get develops to build more houses while guaranteeing that 50% of new developments are affordable homes. Doesn't work like that, duckie.
    (10) Sophie Walker (Women's Equality) - want to stop violence against women but don't seem to have a policy on violence against men
    (11) Peter Whittle (UKIP) - not while Farage is in charge

Your vote will be interpreted as showing support, so if you think they're all rubbish you shouldn't vote for any of them. If you don't like Zac but much prefer him to Sadiq you should vote for him, I suppose, but an option is to spoil your ballot paper with a note on your preferred cause (Heathrow or whatever) - candidates do get a list of the things written and may give them a passing glance, if only for amusement. The influence on the outcome of one vote will be appproximately similar, so it depends on whether you want a microscopic policy hint or a microscopic support for Zac.
    My message to Zac is that it's not right to spend five years of your married life shagging another woman.
    Sounds like you should vote Womens Equality Party then.

My cousin Alice was equally culpable. Does that count?
    Clearly your instincts are to vote for him, so just vote for him then write to him and say I voted for you but you're still an adulterous scumbag.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. C, I think in terms of leadership she is not a lightweight. May is a vacuous, foolish, authoritarian with scant regard for civil liberties, but she is a serious contender to succeed Cameron.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994

It is to kill pathogens. In the US, instead of preventing chickens getting infected with pathogens during the stages of rearing and slaughter, the poultry industry uses chemicals to eliminate bacteria at the end of the meat production chain. In other words, chemical washes aim to make up for inadequate hygiene on farms and abattoirs.

http://www.beuc.eu/blog/what-is-wrong-with-chlorinated-chicken/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680

Its worse than that:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-08-08/why-chlorine-chicken-from-america-inspires-dread-in-europe
  • Options

Just back from an extended morning walk during which I got ambushed by a lady from the local Labour Party who were out leafleting and accosting passers-by in the High Street. She asked me if I would be voting in the referendum, I told her I would most certainly be doing so and she was pleased. I told her I would be voting to Leave, she looked horrified and started wibbling on about the economic arguments. I politely cut her short and told her that the issue of trade was, as far as I am concerned, neither here nor there; the people of the UK have been trading with the rest of the world since the bronze age and always will. However, I would prefer to see the UK return to being a self-governing state where the laws are made by Parliament and interpreted and enforced by UK judges and courts. She said, "So you are isolationist".

Afternoon Mr L, hope you had a good walk.

It occurred to me that we are perhaps approaching a time when the post crisis generation leaders are about to all bugger off.

Obama is off at the end of the year, Cameron has already said he is going, Merkel is in deep trouble and may well lose and I can't see Hollande winning either.

Somehow by 2017 the world may well be a difffernt place politically.
    Wotcha, Mr. Brooke. I think you may well be correct. Whether for good or ill, I sense a sea-change. There is a lot of anger out there, more than I can remember in my lifetime.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Hahaha is this another Jekyl and Hyde flip into neo-liberalism because you're on the side of TTIP? I thought left wingers believed in state regulation to protect people!
    No, I am a liberal. I am quite content if other people want to eat junk, just want it labelled so that I can avoid it as an informed consumer. I oppose the Sugar tax for example. If other people knowingly choose suicide by food , then that is up to them.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

HurstLama said:

Think that quote of isolation was used by Obama this morning at his Town Hall meeting
    She was wrong and he was wrong. It rather curious to describe a philosophy of wanting to break out of the constraints of the EU and trade freely with the whole world as "isolationist". In this campaign it seems to be adopting the same sort of venom as "racist" and is going to reach the same level of meaninglessness from overbroad and badly informed application.
    It does look as if this could become the left's new attack line against the leave campaign
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited April 2016

I'd the same experience yesterday, I was called a Little Englander and inward looking, how that squares with wanting to trade with the whole world escapes me.
    Yes this type of "feedback" is concerning. Tends to suggest the positive vision for Out has not been sold well so far. Having said that how would you say the response was overall?
  • Options
    I just got my first campain leaflet of the campaign, from Grassroots Out. Pleading for help rather than giving much reason to vote Leave. One for the recycling.
  • Options

No, I am a liberal. I am quite content if other people want to eat junk, just want it labelled so that I can avoid it as an informed consumer. I oppose the Sugar tax for example. If other people knowingly choose suicide by food , then that is up to them.
    Keeps you in a job I suppose.

I believe I read (don't have a link) it won't be labelled, as it would be 'unfair'.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Next Conservative Leader market: does anyone here think 2/1 for Boris and 4/1 for Osborne are anything but way too short? Mrs May and Mr Gove are next up, both at 8/1, surely both represent value. Anyone else is 16/1 or lower.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited April 2016

I politely cut her short and told her that the issue of trade was, as far as I am concerned, neither here nor there; the people of the UK have been trading with the rest of the world since the bronze age and always will.

You mean there was a time, before 1973, when we was able to trade with other countries? Who knew? Who knew? :smiley:
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I'd go for May, in betting terms.

Obviously, Priti Patel or Justine Greening represent the best options.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited April 2016

Mr. C, I think in terms of leadership she is not a lightweight. May is a vacuous, foolish, authoritarian with scant regard for civil liberties, but she is a serious contender to succeed Cameron.

With thanks for your crisply expressed opinion. And what of Mr Hammond?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    WE'RE BACK!!!!!

We've lost this comment thread from the site, but everything else seems to be working fine :smiley:
  • Options

I believe I read (don't have a link) it won't be labelled, as it would be 'unfair'.
    I assume every meat to be factory farmed with poor husbandry unless there is clear labelling otherwise. I am not vegetarian, but do my best to avoid factory farmed produce.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    rcs1000 said:

WE'RE BACK!!!!!

We've lost this comment thread from the site, but everything else seems to be working fine :smiley:

Well done Robert! :smiley:

Edit: first thread on the home page is the podcast from 21st April, maybe a couple more have gone missing?
  • Options
    Mr. C, Hammond was seen as boring but safe. Then he switched from being a sceptic to pro-EU. I very much doubt he has a shot (for what it's worth, I'm not a Conservative).
  • Options

The whole idea of "indirect discrimination" in this as in other areas is a little curious. One party produces a good product, another a less desirable product, but because the parties are different in different counties, or of different genders or races, or pretty much any other dimension you could use to delineate people or companies, you can't say that one product is good and one is bad, because it would be "unfair".

Saying a product is bad because it comes from the USA is clearly discrimination, saying a product is bad for the following objective reasons and happens to come from the USA would seem eminently sensible, but apparently not.
  • Options
    Good work, Mr. 1000.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I assume every meat to be factory farmed with poor husbandry unless there is clear labelling otherwise. I am not vegetarian, but do my best to avoid factory farmed produce.

I am sure many would, but it is currently only an option available to the affluent. Taking a look at supermarket page.

Grade A 2kg Chicken - £5.00
    2kg Free Range Chicken - £12.00
    2kg Organic Chicken - £15.00

• Options

It is quite surprising how food labelling regulations actually stop people being informed about what they are buying/eating.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Mr. Sandpit, I'd go for May, in betting terms.

Obviously, Priti Patel or Justine Greening represent the best options.

I'm already in way too deep on this market to be betting any more of my own cash, but the next leader is clearly going to have to be someone with a lot of experience and goodwill from across the party - a grandee rather than a fresh face. Cameron's going to be leaving a big mess behind when he departs the stage. May or Gove are the obvious candidates for that role.

The silver lining in the cloud - my nightmare scenario (for the book) of Boris v Osborne is looking more unlikely with every passing day. Especially days like yesterday.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

It is quite surprising how food labelling regulations actually stop people being informed about what they are buying/eating.
    Food label regulations are the European Union Act 2011 of the retail industry.. designed to sound impressive but not do anything that might inconvenience the vested interests ;)
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, the plus side from a blue perspective is that Boris is highlighting when a failure he'd be as leader before the contest to replace Cameron.

Not that that necessarily means he won't win...
  • Options

Do you believe in abandoning the regulations in this regard that farms and food producers in the UK must abide by?
  • Options

Do you believe in abandoning the regulations in this regard that farms and food producers in the UK must abide by?
    The peasants that can't afford organic hand-reared single-origin products need something to keep them safe Mr L ;)
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, the plus side from a blue perspective is that Boris is highlighting when a failure he'd be as leader before the contest to replace Cameron.

The public are still not paying attention, I think that the last couple of days will have had no impact what so ever on Boris's popularity outside the bubble, and if it has it will soon be rectified by a few more showings of the zipline video clip. Those inside the bubble know which side their bread is buttered, there is no point in selecting a candidate they love that no one will vote for, they have been there before.
  • Options
    Erm... half the readers appear to be back on Friday's thread
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Indigo said:

The public are still not paying attention, I think that the last couple of days will have had no impact what so ever on Boris's popularity outside the bubble, and if it has it will soon be rectified by a few more showings of the zipline video clip. Those inside the bubble know which side their bread is buttered, there is no point in selecting a candidate they love that no one will vote for, they have been there before.
    I thought this summed the hoopla up, much confected outrage

https://m.facebook.com/brendan.oneill.79/posts/1018634734893286?pnref=story
  • Options
    Indigo said:

The peasants that can't afford organic hand-reared single-origin products need something to keep them safe Mr L ;)
    It won't be keeping them safe though, because inferior imported product (presumably cheaper) will be available alongside it. This is what foxinsocks needs to answer - does he believe in the rather extraordinary position of Britain's farmers abandoning minimum quality food standards (interesting for a doctor and an EU supporter)? If not, how can he possibly support, as he does, importing potentially harmful food from abroad, and not even labelling it?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options

Indigo said:

It won't be keeping them safe though, because inferior imported product (presumably cheaper) will be available alongside it. This is what foxinsocks needs to answer - does he believe in the rather extraordinary position of Britain's farmers abandoning minimum quality food standards (interesting for a doctor and an EU supporter)? If not, how can he possibly support, as he does, importing potentially harmful food from abroad, and not even labelling it?
    I am happy that there is some regulation of animal husbandry to a minimal standard. I would be happier if those standards were far higher, but am quite able to apply those standards in my own life. I do this mostly by eating less meat, and am vegetarian most days (very affordable in the UK).

Obesity is very much a class issue, it would serve poor people as much as anyone else to eat less food and be more selective in what they eat.
This discussion has been closed.