Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The referendum polling is getting much tighter. Gone are th

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Lolz :smiley:

Daily Mail
    Hostage who took selfie with #EgyptAir hijacker is 26-year-old Brit from Leeds https://t.co/hNI0C71qCE https://t.co/TgrmjMOHS3

British Health and Safety inspector none the less...

Surprised he didn't whip out a high viz jacket and tell him that he must wear this when undertaking risky tasks...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

"Mr. Trump is also coming under fire from outside groups. The anti-tax Club for Growth, which endorsed Mr. Cruz in the last few days, will begin a $1 million advertising expenditure in Wisconsin.

The spot calls on people to vote for Mr. Cruz to stop Mr. Trump, saying that Mr. Kasich “can’t do it.” And the group Our Principles PAC, which was founded to stop Mr. Trump in January, will begin reserving airtime, according to its strategist. "

"Can't do it" = "Can't win here"?!?!?!

I'm increasingly believing that Trump wont get the GOP nomination.
    The republican party is dead and it's politicians know it's dead, so probably as a final act they will blow themselves up just to take Trump with them.

What comes after though?
    Will a new centre-right party rise from the ruins, and how long will it take?
    Will the southern populists break off like they did in the 60's, or will the religious fundamentalists of the west break off ?

The problem is that a new party will need new ideas and new people who have not been associated with the republican party.

So far the only thing that is certain is: Winner Democrats, by facing a bitterly divided opposition.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'It all seems pretty much zero-sum to me, in the context of an economy that isn't growing very rapidly.'

The economic literature is pretty clear on this. Immigration has distributional impacts, most notably being good for immigrants. It has very small, if any, effects on GDP per head.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Sean_F said:

@Tyson - I think it is undeniable that British-born tradesmen face greater competition for work than they did before the free movement of people within in the EU kicked in. Of course, the Tories signed up for this for the reasons you outline, but it only happened because of the EU. Increased competition for jobs has surely pushed down rates and improved service. Bad news for producers, good news for consumers. It's only natural that they would want to restrict the competition they face.

What evidence is there it is good news for consumers ? If the effect of mass immigration is lower prices but you get taxed more to subsidise low wages, pay more for your house or rent because the infrastructure can't accommodate the rapid influx and have your schools, hospitals and public services overloaded despite having to pay higher taxes for them. That might not be the killer bargain you think.
    It all seems pretty much zero-sum to me, in the context of an economy that isn't growing very rapidly.
    It's the Brown Treasury Model which Osborne has continued.

One incident sticks with me. I was meeting a contact in Birmingham who suggested a Starbucks. I;m in the queue watching one east European serving another East European a coffee from a US mulitnat that doesnt pay tax. How does that work ?

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Indigo said:

taffys said:

MaxPB said:

I think that Remain have ramped up Project Fear way, way too early. It is already losing its impact on people and if they continue to ratchet it up Vote Leave can start putting out spoof posters "Vote Remain or a plague of frogs will descend on Britain" etc...

Even my apolitical friends are noticing the increasing histrionics from the Remain side.

For me, whenever Remain opens its mouth, it sounds like a bad parent trying to discipline an unruly child. Shrill, shouty, empty, overstated and illogical threats.

Leave is scaremongering too, but the scares are subtler.

Subtle in the sense that being whacked across the head by an iron bar is subtle?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3513072/Deadly-cost-open-borders-Damning-dossier-lists-catalogue-murders-rapes-committed-Britain-50-foreign-criminals-let-EU-rules.html

Technically that isn't scaremongering - it's a fact about what has already happened.

As a % of EU immigrants to the UK, what do those 50 criminals represent?
    A disingenuous comparison.

Its conspicuously 50 more murders and rapes than would have happened if they had not be let into the country. It would also be enlightening to know if EU Immigrants on average commit more or less rapes and murder per capita than UK citizens.
    How many of the 50 are from EEA countries and would have been let in anyway?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,040
    Quote from the Guardian "Corey Lewandowski, Donald Trump’s campaign manager, will appear before a judge on May 4 to face his charge of misdemeanor battery, reports the AP.”

He’s accused of “grabbing” Michelle Fields.

The Donalds official comment is "Mr. Lewandowski is absolutely innocent of this charge. He will enter a plea of not guilty and looks forward to his day in court. He is completely confident that he will be exonerated.”

Looks like someone very rich is paying the lawrers bills, too.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    tyson said:

@Philiph

I think your response is thoughtful and considered and right to some extent. But I think you are wrong about the time frames- in the short term nationalism will be fuelled by immigration. In the long term less so, as we integrate more effectively.

@Tykejohno
    It really is lowest common denominator stuff to blame migrants (and poor people, usually those people on benefits) for things not going well. It is what feeds the Mail, Sun, Express and detracts where the real problems lie.

Rich people are getting richer. The concentration of wealth is getting more acute and uneven. Access to generating wealth is getting harder. Public services have been downgraded as the politics of austerity takes hold.

Politicians, rich corporations, and the wealthy elite are the ones responsible for making things worse. Osborne cannot even deal with the generous tax reliefs on pension for the most wealthy- and has to target poor, disabled people instead because of the protected interests of the rich who already have all the cards stacked in their favour.

Really, and you seek to blame the migrants......

If you feel so awful or guilty about this, why not give your fortune away, or make some of your BTL properties available to refugees?

It's hard to feel any sympathy toward someone who's whining about losing more due to the increased costs of currency transactions and the effect it may have on their pampered lifestyle, than many people earn in a month.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    runnymede said:

the British people will have to accept a 'European' identity.

You'd have to be particularly ignorant to be 'British' and not also 'European'. I suppose it's conceivable for someone who immigrated from outside Europe to the UK to hold such an identity, but otherwise it would require extreme cognitive dissonance.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I do like Leave's optimistic campaign, if we remain in the EU, we're all going to get wiped out by a genocidal dictator.

Leave.EU spokesman explains why Yugoslav genocide shows the EU is a bad idea.

https://twitter.com/PkhPeter/status/713275660907778048

This is actually an accurate analogy, though I prefer the COMECON analogy as the most accurate to describe the EU and it's inner works, including it's economic performance.

Many top EU officials are ex-communists anyway, the mentality and the slogans are still there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comecon

"Wide variations in economic size and level of economic development also tended to generate divergent interests among the member countries. All these factors combined to give rise to significant differences in the member states' expectations about the benefits to be derived from membership in Comecon. Unity was provided instead by political and ideological factors."
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

MaxPB said:

And yet implying that it would be impossible to have such an agreement or situation outside of the EU is just fine and dandy and shouldn't go unchallenged.

It's part and parcel of the EU's free movement of people, objection to which is Leave's most potent argument. They can hardly complain if the Remain side take them at their word when they say they want 'control of our borders'.
    Like many remainders you tend to wilful mishear the word "control" as "close", I believe this is a difference.

What controls would you introduce that would prevent criminals from Europe entering the UK? Would it be background checks for all prior to coming here?

Personally, I would require a points based visa for anyone from anywhere that planned to stay for more than six months. It works very nicely for the Canadians and the Australians.

At the VERY least we should be able to blacklist people we don't want in the country, specifically those we have thrown out. At the moment we cannot throw out an EU citizen after they get out of their 10-stretch for armed robbery, and even it we could we cant stop the coming back in again. Any nation state that is worth the name as the ability to declare foreign national "persona non grata" and have the removed from the country and blacklisted from returning, EU member states being some of the very small number of countries that cannot.
    Pretty sure it takes less than 6 months to murder someone.

Good luck adapting Heathrow and all the UK European embassies for the thousands of visa applications and in depth immigration interviews that will be required.
  • Options

She was saying that the young would be most affected by Brexit.
    How's that being positive?

Any fair-minded person, reading that speech as a piece of advocacy for the Remain side and one aimed at young people, would accept that it's a well-written and positive speech. That's not to say I agree with it, I'm just being objective about the quality of how she puts the case, in exactly the same way as I was when I said that Michael Gove's piece explaining why he was supporting Leave was excellent (and Boris's wasn't).

The speech was titled "leaving the EU risks a lost generation"
    Any 'fair-minded' person that calls that being positive must be reading it very selectively.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    @Tyson,I blame the remain politicians who can't control our borders.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

Lolz :smiley:

Daily Mail
    Hostage who took selfie with #EgyptAir hijacker is 26-year-old Brit from Leeds https://t.co/hNI0C71qCE https://t.co/TgrmjMOHS3

British Health and Safety inspector none the less...

Surprised he didn't whip out a high viz jacket and tell him that he must wear this when undertaking risky tasks...
    TBH, I am surprised he didn't jump in and stop him, no sign of proper safety specs...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    tyson said:

@Philiph

I think your response is thoughtful and considered and right to some extent. But I think you are wrong about the time frames- in the short term nationalism will be fuelled by immigration. In the long term less so, as we integrate more effectively.

I don't think Humans have a good record at integration so far. Balkans, Ukraine, Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan, UK and Ireland, Rwanda, Somalia, and many many other places.

Immigration can fuel Nationalism in many ways.

Definition of Short, Medium and Long term are up for discussion!

I believe the threat to our (or our children's) long term peace and security is greater from EU integration than it is from national individuality.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Any 'fair-minded' person that calls that being positive must be reading it very selectively.

Sure, if you read just the headline. The speech itself deals with the short-term and long-term risks of Brexit, and makes a positive case for the EU.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2016
    The Last Polls Before

SINDY (-87 DAYS)

Yes 47 / No 53: Survation (Online)
    Yes 46 / No 54 Panelbase (Online)
    Yes 45 / No 55 Result
    Yes 43 / No 57 ICM (Phone)
    Yes 42 / No 58 TNS (Face to Face)
    Yes 40 / No 60 Ipsos (Phone)
    Yes 40 / No 60 Yougov (Online)

GE2015 (–87 DAYS): Right = Con+UKIP

Right 54 / Others 46: Survation (Online)
    Right 51 / Others 49: Comres (Online)
    Right 51 / Others 49 Result
    Right 48 / Others 52 Populus (Online)
    Right 48 / Others 52 Yougov (Online)
    Right 48 / Others 52 Ashcroft (Phone)
    Right 48 / Others 52 Comres (Phone)
    Right 47 / Others 53 Opinium (Online)
    Right 45 / Others 55 TNS (Online)
    Right 43 / Others 57 Ipsos (Phone)
    Right 41 / Others 59 ICM (Phone)

• Options

You may notice Richard litters his posts with these kinds of references ie 'reasonable people think...','moderate opinion thinks'. It's a tired old rhetorical trick.

I can only assume he is trying to get us to giggle by claiming he is 'objective' though.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Sure, if you read just the headline. The speech itself deals with the short-term and long-term risks of Brexit, and makes a positive case for the EU.
    There is no positive case for staying in the EU.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    Quite striking polarisation in the Ipsos Mori poll.

Conservative and UKIP supporters break 64/36% for Leave. Labour and Lib Dems break 73/27% for Remain.

18-34 Year olds break 68/21% for Remain. 55+ break 38/54%. 35-54 year olds break 44/46% (the tipping point at which Leave leads is 45 years old and above).

AB's break 61/30% for Remain, and C1's 62/31%. C2's break 32/57% and DE's 37/46%. (I wonder why there should be such a big difference between C1 and C2 voters when their economic circumstances are very similar).

Certainty to vote is 45% among 18-34 year olds, 72% among 35-54, and 79% among 55+

Among AB's it's 74%, 68% among C1's, 65% among C2's and 58% among DE's.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    runnymede said:

You may notice Richard litters his posts with these kinds of references ie 'reasonable people think...','moderate opinion thinks'. It's a tired old rhetorical trick.

I can only assume he is trying to get us to giggle by claiming he is 'objective' though.

And anyone who thinks otherwise is mad, insane, etc.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358
    Speedy said:

Many top EU officials are ex-communists anyway

Eh? Like who?
  • Options

There is no positive case for staying in the EU.

So I understand. Not a single possible argument. Anyone who claims there is is, by definition, dishonest, a Europhile, a Quisling, a traitor, a careerist, or all of those.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,000
    Miss Plato, thanks for posting that video. Found it very interesting.
  • Options
    By the way, Helle Thorning, former Social Democrat leader and wife of the younger Kinnock, has stepped down and is coming to live in London, where she'll run the charity Save the Children.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Please can someone Photoshop Jeremy Corbyn as Emperor Palpatine watching with glee while chubby Darth Vader (Cameron) and chubby Luke Skywalker (Boris) fight each other to the death?
  • Options

By the way, Helle Thorning, former Social Democrat leader and wife of the younger Kinnock, has stepped down and is coming to live in London, where she'll run the charity Save the Children.

Poor bastards.
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, is she Michelle Obama's selfie BFF?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955

@Tyson - I think it is undeniable that British-born tradesmen face greater competition for work than they did before the free movement of people within in the EU kicked in. Of course, the Tories signed up for this for the reasons you outline, but it only happened because of the EU. Increased competition for jobs has surely pushed down rates and improved service. Bad news for producers, good news for consumers. It's only natural that they would want to restrict the competition they face.

What evidence is there it is good news for consumers ? If the effect of mass immigration is lower prices but you get taxed more to subsidise low wages, pay more for your house or rent because the infrastructure can't accommodate the rapid influx and have your schools, hospitals and public services overloaded despite having to pay higher taxes for them. That might not be the killer bargain you think.

Who says it is a killer bargain? I am just saying that less competition drives up prices and reduces the incentive to offer speedy, high-quality service; while it is understandable that tradespeople who get less work, or have to charge lower rates than they used to, will want to reduce the competition they face. Overall it is not a zero sum game and immigration will have very different impacts depending on who you are. The lowest paid may see some reduction in their wages and their access to public services may worsen, but because they pay no income tax and receive benefits they may also be benefiting from the contributions made by EU immigrants who do pay income tax.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

Pays very nicely that gig....£250k a year plus perks.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    This is great podcast. Bojo's ex thinks he's a real contender for PM.

http://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/714840961659105280/photo/1
  • Options
    This blog right now is essentially two big gangs shouting

"You're the one not being positive.... Poo Face!"
  • Options

Cameron photo op incoming... 5....4...3...2...1...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Andrew said:

Unless they select Kasich, The GOP are doomed as a Star Trek red shirt

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/714837586859204608

Well, batshit crazy is a sizable demographic in the US. Trump has cleverly targeted it.
    Obama is a secret Muslim, who plans to forcibly convert the US to Islam, on the orders of the Jews.
    Nah, he's really an illuminati. It always comes back to them in the end. Or the lizards.
    I believe the term would be illuminatus would it not?
  • Options

Mr. Palmer, is she Michelle Obama's selfie BFF?

Yes. Maybe Michelle will come over here too...
  • Options
    Mr. Freggles, I think a lot of PBers are undecided, or decided but being polite. I know it gets a bit testy sometimes, but the way around that is to not buy into it.

And, in a few days, we can all marvel at how excellent my new book is, and unite the site in admiration. [On a related note, Mr. T hasn't been around for a little while. My mum got The Ice Twins for Christmas and just started it this week, finishing it in three days, which is shockingly fast].
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Speedy said:

Many top EU officials are ex-communists anyway

Eh? Like who?
    Jose Barroso is the most famous one, he even became president of the commission until 2014.

Federica Mogherini is another.
  • Options

Who says it is a killer bargain? I am just saying that less competition drives up prices and reduces the incentive to offer speedy, high-quality service; while it is understandable that tradespeople who get less work, or have to charge lower rates than they used to, will want to reduce the competition they face. Overall it is not a zero sum game and immigration will have very different impacts depending on who you are. The lowest paid may see some reduction in their wages and their access to public services may worsen, but because they pay no income tax and receive benefits they may also be benefiting from the contributions made by EU immigrants who do pay income tax.

I thought you being a leftie and all that should be worrying more about getting additional money in to the pockets of people less well off than you rather than justifying US neo liberalism ?
  • Options

Mr. Freggles, I think a lot of PBers are undecided, or decided but being polite. I know it gets a bit testy sometimes, but the way around that is to not buy into it.

And, in a few days, we can all marvel at how excellent my new book is, and unite the site in admiration. [On a related note, Mr. T hasn't been around for a little while. My mum got The Ice Twins for Christmas and just started it this week, finishing it in three days, which is shockingly fast].

I just find the ding-dong about "the positive case" tedious. Of course a binary choice is going to have positive and negative arguments on both sides, and the status quo can't offer anything different by definition.
  • Options
    EUREF (-87 DAYS)

Leave 52 / Remain 48 TNS (online)
    Leave 51 / Remain 49 Survation (online)
    Leave 51 / Remain 49 ORB (online)
    Leave 51 / Remain 49 Opinium (online)
    Leave ?? / Remain ?? Result ??
    Leave 49 / Remain 51 ICM (online)
    Leave 49 / Remain 51 BMG (online)
    Leave 48 / Remain 52 Yougov (online)
    Leave 46 / Remain 54 Comres (phone)
    Leave 46 / Remain 54 Ipsos (phone)
    Leave 43 / Remain 57 Survation (phone)
    chestnut said:

The Last Polls Before

SINDY (-87 DAYS)

Yes 47 / No 53: Survation (Online)
    Yes 46 / No 54 Panelbase (Online)
    Yes 45 / No 55 Result
    Yes 43 / No 57 ICM (Phone)
    Yes 42 / No 58 TNS (Face to Face)
    Yes 40 / No 60 Ipsos (Phone)
    Yes 40 / No 60 Yougov (Online)

GE2015 (–87 DAYS): Right = Con+UKIP

Right 54 / Others 46: Survation (Online)
    Right 51 / Others 49: Comres (Online)
    Right 51 / Others 49 Result
    Right 48 / Others 52 Populus (Online)
    Right 48 / Others 52 Yougov (Online)
    Right 48 / Others 52 Ashcroft (Phone)
    Right 48 / Others 52 Comres (Phone)
    Right 47 / Others 53 Opinium (Online)
    Right 45 / Others 55 TNS (Online)
    Right 43 / Others 57 Ipsos (Phone)
    Right 41 / Others 59 ICM (Phone)

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Andrew said:

Well, batshit crazy is a sizable demographic in the US. Trump has cleverly targeted it.
    Obama is a secret Muslim, who plans to forcibly convert the US to Islam, on the orders of the Jews.
    Nah, he's really an illuminati. It always comes back to them in the end. Or the lizards.
    Yes, if we are talking about him singular you would be right.

I clearly need to re-read Foucault's Pendulum again. Sigh.
  • Options
    Is it possible that the Health'n'Safety suicide-belt selfie guy was being rather smart? Getting a photo of the 'suicide belt' and the face of the hijacker out to the police and security services might have been very helpful.
  • Options

Much lower income tax in the UK than Denmark as well - who'd have thought it?
  • Options
    By the way if we do leave the EU it will be of no surprise, for more than a generation the popular press is vehemently anti-EU, and economically Britain is the least integrated economy with the EU and it's becoming less and less integrated:

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Intra-EU_trade_in_goods_-_recent_trends
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Speedy said:

By the way if we do leave the EU it will be of no surprise, for more than a generation the popular press is vehemently anti-EU, and economically Britain is the least integrated economy with the EU and it's becoming less and less integrated:

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Intra-EU_trade_in_goods_-_recent_trends

Oh no, meanwhile we would have trade agreements with outback places like the commonwealth, South America and China, while the EU stagnates and dwindles as a world market, sounds terrible.
  • Options

I thought you being a leftie and all that should be worrying more about getting additional money in to the pockets of people less well off than you rather than justifying US neo liberalism ?

Like almost everyone else, I want the best possible outcome for the highest number of people. I think the state has a greater role to play in achieving that than people on the right will, but at heart I believe in capitalism and I believe in markets.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Freggles said:

I just find the ding-dong about "the positive case" tedious. Of course a binary choice is going to have positive and negative arguments on both sides, and the status quo can't offer anything different by definition.
    But we have established that there isn't a status quo case, there is the leave case, or the much more EU case, if there is a positive case for joining a rapidly integrating superstate, and I am sure in many people's eye there is, we should be told about it, rather than fatuous claims about how the bogeyman is going to get us.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,974

DavidL said:

I completely agree with this. That is exactly what she was trying to do.

The Remain side are often accused of not putting a positive case. She did, and rather well. As I said earlier, I was somewhat surprised, as she's not someone I've particularly rated in the past.
    If the only way to put a positive case is by making stuff up and perpetuating myths then I am really not sure why she bothered.
  • Options

Who says it is a killer bargain? I am just sahe contributions made by EU immigrants who do pay income tax.

Like almost everyone else, I want the best possible outcome for the highest number of people. I think the state has a greater role to play in achieving that than people on the right will, but at heart I believe in capitalism and I believe in markets.

That's something of a non sequitur. You want to stop low wages rising through less competition but then decree a wage hike from HMG called the living wage.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Conservative and UKIP supporters break 64/36% for Leave. Labour and Lib Dems break 73/27% for Remain.

18-34 Year olds break 68/21% for Remain. 55+ break 38/54%. 35-54 year olds break 44/46% (the tipping point at which Leave leads is 45 years old and above).

AB's break 61/30% for Remain, and C1's 62/31%. C2's break 32/57% and DE's 37/46%. (I wonder why there should be such a big difference between C1 and C2 voters when their economic circumstances are very similar).

Certainty to vote is 45% among 18-34 year olds, 72% among 35-54, and 79% among 55+

On page 25 is the dead heat on 10/10 certain to vote, and that's based on near 70% turnout.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited March 2016
    @Tyson,I like you bit on wealthy elites,what I read on you,to me,you are the wealthy elite.

What I say on my experiences on immigration to my area is totally out of order to you and this from someone living abroad and mentioned the currency transactions you do a month,well people round where I live ,that's a wage a month.

You are the out of touch wealthy elite Tyson.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Who says it is a killer bargain? I am just sahe contributions made by EU immigrants who do pay income tax.

That's something of a non sequitur. You want to stop low wages rising through less competition but then decree a wage hike from HMG called the living wage.

My judgement is that less competition is more damaging overall than the government setting minimum wage levels. As someone who believes in the state as a force for good, I don't see a problem with that. In the end, I think we all benefit from an economy in which people earn enough money to live decently on. If you can't pay your employees such amounts then you don't really have a sustainable business whether we are in the EU or not.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    Tories ahead 36 to 34% on voting intention with Mori
  • Options

My judgement is that less competition is more damaging overall than the government setting minimum wage levels. As someone who believes in the state as a force for good, I don't see a problem with that. In the end, I think we all benefit from an economy in which people earn enough money to live decently on. If you can't pay your employees such amounts then you don't really have a sustainable business whether we are in the EU or not.

Unless you control immigration that doesn;t work. If you decree a wage rise all you are going to do si attract more people from poor countries. Who then need all the social infastructure buit and paid for them.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Except that it is a national rate and takes no account of regional variations. In some especially northern cities at least a quarter of all jobs are below the living wage and in those cities the local property prices and general cost of living is a fraction of what it is further South.

If a northern business is paying wages that provides enough to live on there even if it isn't enough elsewhere then is it really so unsustainable?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

On page 25 is the dead heat on 10/10 certain to vote, and that's based on near 70% turnout.
    Remain lead 47 to 46% amongst those 10/10 certain to vote. Tories narrowly back Leave 47% to 44%

The North and Midlands back Leave, the South, London and Scotland back Remain
  • Options
    Optimus Wisconsin

Trump 31
    Kasich 29
    Cruz 27
  • Options
    Optimus New York

Trump 50
    Kasich 24
    Cruz 16
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Meanwhile, Donald Trump continues to show he's more complex than stereotype:
    Donald Trump attacked Wisconsin governor Scott Walker for failing to raise taxes in order to properly fund schools and roads on Tuesday, in a startling new break from rightwing orthodoxy from the Republican frontrunner.

“There’s a $2.2bn deficit and the schools were going begging and everything was going begging because he didn’t want to raise taxes ’cause he was going to run for president,” said Trump. “So instead of raising taxes, he cut back on schools, he cut back on highways, he cut back on a lot of things.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/29/donald-trump-scott-walker-wisconsin-taxes-cruz-endorsement
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    California LA Times

Clinton 47
    Sanders 36

Trump 36
    Cruz 35
    Kasich 14
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503
    Sean_F said:

Very very heavy leads for Remain amongst ABC1s though. 30%+??

That's an open and shut case.

Leave can't win on those sorts of numbers and, to make a dent in that, they simply have to deal with the question of the economy.

Fast.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    HYUFD said:

Optimus Wisconsin

Trump 31
    Kasich 29
    Cruz 27

Could help Trump if it's not clear which candidate the #NeverTrump's should rally round.
  • Options

My judgement is that les

Except that it is a national rate and takes no account of regional variations. In some especially northern cities at least a quarter of all jobs are below the living wage and in those cities the local property prices and general cost of living is a fraction of what it is further South.

If a northern business is paying wages that provides enough to live on there even if it isn't enough elsewhere then is it really so unsustainable?
    Fair point Mr T.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,974
    edited March 2016
    Mostly off topic but if anyone ever needed an example of how immigration can help our country then the interview on Sky News just now is a perfect case in point.

Sanjeev Gupta of Liberty House. Buying up Steel works around the country and using them to turn recycled steel into new steel products. Actually increasing employment at the Steel works which had previously been threatened with closure. Visionary and committed to continuing operations in Britain - looking at positive reasons for being here rather than negative. .
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2016
    National - PPP

Trump 42 .. Cruz 32 .. Kasich 22
    Clinton 54 .. Sanders 36

National - NBC

Trump 48 .. Cruz 27 .. Kasich 18
    Clinton 49 .. Sanders 43

Wisconsin - Optimus
    Trump 31 .. Kasich 31 .. Cruz 27

New York - Optimus
    Trump 50 .. Kasich 24 .. Cruz 16

Via RCP
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Leave can't win on those sorts of numbers and, to make a dent in that, they simply have to deal with the question of the economy.

Fast.
    Totally agreed. It will be the economy wot won it, stupid.

Sorry for the ugly mixed phrase.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Andrew said:

Yes, if we are talking about him singular you would be right.

I clearly need to re-read Foucault's Pendulum again. Sigh.
    I don't think he is one. Whoever 'they' are (senior Masons?) I would strongly suspect the civil rights movement hasn't penetrated such circles.
  • Options
    YouGov poll of Le Royaume-Uni, Germany and France

Most French people would prefer the British border to be in Dover – and most British expect this to happen if we leave the EU

Concerns over immigration are one of the most powerful reasons to support Britain leaving the EU, but the Remain campaign has found an argument which threatens to turn these instincts against Brexit. Back in February David Cameron was rebuked for claiming leaving the EU would give French politicians the chance to "tear up" the agreement which effectively places part of Britain's border with France in Calais.

In March, however, France's economy minister said the agreement would be threatened if Britain left the EU – and soon after French President Francois Hollande said it would have an impact "on the way we handle the situation in terms of immigration".

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/03/29/majority-french-favour-moving-border-dover/
  • Options

@Tyson,I like you bit on wealthy elites,what I read on you,to me,you are the wealthy elite.

What I say on my experiences on immigration to my area is totally out of order to you and this from someone living abroad and mentioned the currency transactions you do a month,well people round where I live ,that's a wage a month.

You are the out of touch wealthy elite Tyson.

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to chuckle over Tyson and his currency losses, the poor lamb.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited March 2016
    YouGov of GB voters

Do you think Britain leaving the European Union would have a positive or negative impact on the following, or would it have no impact on The economy of the United Kingdom

Total Positive Impact 31%

Total Negative Impact 40%
  • Options

YouGov of GB voters

Do you think Britain leaving the European Union would have a positive or negative impact on the following, or would it have no impact...

What is the following?
  • Options
    Britain elects have the figures, but I can't see the figures in the table

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/714865341386592256
  • Options

YouGov of GB voters

Do you think Britain leaving the European Union would have a positive or negative impact on the following, or would it have no impact...

What is the following?
    The economy of the United Kingdom

Fixed my original post now
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

There almost certainly would be some negatives, but I'm fairly confident they won't affect me (or anyone I know/care about).
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Sean_F said:

Fast.
    Don't forget the shy Leave ABC1s.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

There almost certainly would be some negatives, but I'm fairly confident they won't affect me (or anyone I know/care about).
    They would effect my employer, and I.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Fast.
    Don't forget the shy Leave ABC1s.
    I do wonder if ABC1s could be shy about supporting Leave and C2DEs could be shy about supporting Remain? The divide is incredible.
  • Options

YouGov of GB voters

Do you think Britain leaving the European Union would have a positive or negative impact on the following, or would it have no impact on The economy of the United Kingdom

Encouraging. A bit closer.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Fast.
    And they need to deal with it by raising the spectre of economic disaster if we remain. I'm sorry if it upsets people's sensitivities, but it's the only effective way.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Fast.
    Totally agreed. It will be the economy wot won it, stupid.

Sorry for the ugly mixed phrase.
    Ipsos were out by a country mile at this stage of both the GE and Sindy run-ins.

Any reading of their polls must be adjusted for that form.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited March 2016

Sean_F said:

Fast.
    And they need to deal with it by raising the spectre of economic disaster if we remain. I'm sorry if it upsets people's sensitivities, but it's the only effective way.
    Indeed. The Euro is a flawed and failing project which is being enforced in a ruthless and dictatorial fashion by an elite too bone headed to see what it is doing. 25% unemployment in southern Europe; 50% youth unemployment. That is the real face of the EU.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196

tlg86 said:

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

In all seriousness, I'm sure you'll cope.
  • Options

YouGov of GB voters

You can all laugh at me on June 24th, but Leave aren't going to win unless they change those numbers.

People will not vote to make the economy (and thus themselves) worse off.
  • Options
    Can we not just look at May's elections for a change please.

This EU event - as with the never going to happen voting change is leaving me like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccjfSyO9ncM
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

Not really, the industry we're closely connected to is dependent on the financial passport.

If we don't get that as part of Brexit, then clients and the industry is screwed
  • Options

This EU event - as with the never going to happen voting change is leaving me like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccjfSyO9ncM

I've got some bad news. I replaced Jack Butland in my fantasy football team with Hugo Lloris.

Then I realised he's playing against Liverpool this weekend.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The Port Talbot situation is interesting given the upcoming Welsh Assembly election.
  • Options

I've got some bad news. I replaced Jack Butland in my fantasy football team with Hugo Lloris.

Then I realised he's playing against Liverpool this weekend.
    I'm about to load up on Gooners having maxed out on Foxes... my selling Kane for the greater good has worked out tremendously.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

No it wouldn't.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

Not really, the industry we're closely connected to is dependent on the financial passport.

If we don't get that as part of Brexit, then clients and the industry is screwed
    Isn't the standard response that you're in a dying industry and you should retrain ?
  • Options

YouGov of GB voters

You can all laugh at me on June 24th, but Leave aren't going to win unless they change those numbers.

People will not vote to make the economy (and thus themselves) worse off.
    Why would I laugh at you?
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

Fast.
    Indeed. The Euro is a flawed and failing project which is being enforced in a ruthless and dictatorial fashion by an elite too bone headed to see what it is doing. 25% unemployment in southern Europe; 50% youth unemployment. That is the real face of the EU.
    And they need to frame Remain as a COMMITMENT to the EU. A signing on the dotted line. And they need to raise particular fear about a RESOUNDING Remain victory - if it's a walkover our future is buggered. Soft Remains need to feel good and justified about not voting.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Let’s be brutally honest: this remain campaign is failing

The Brexiters may be cynical and wrong but they are showing some passion. At this rate they’ll win — Jackie Ashley"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/29/remain-campaign-failing-brexiters-wrong-but-passion
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

So back the EEA/EFTA option then, like many of us Leavers.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Pulpstar said:

Indigo said:

Easy to say you'll vote to Leave now. When the date draws near and fear becomes real, I think a great many will return to Remain.

I think a great many will sit on the sofa.
    I am expecting many Labour voters to do this.
    Labour "voters" are absolute masters of sitting on the sofa, as Ed found out :)
    I may well sit on the sofa.

I can see no circumstance that will make me vote remain. If I do vote it will be Leave
    I am the same , the sofa is looking like my best option.
    If Cameron is looking for Labour voters to get out and vote remain, it might be a big ask.
    The Eu in its current state, will make me vote leave, if they push me to vote.
    Cameron might have that ability to get the Labour leave vote out , but not the remain.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Fast.
    They need to allay people's fears on the short term risks of being left out in the cold.

They then need to show how much better off people would be with pounds in pockets as a result of quitting CAP, ending EU contributions and striking new trade deals.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited March 2016

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

Isn't the standard response that you're in a dying industry and you should retrain ?
    We're in a booming industry. Funny thing is, about a year the biggest risk to the industry was perceived to be the EU/Eurozone, now it is Brexit.

I'm fully confident that I can get a new job straight away, but I realise not everyone is as intelligent and brilliant as me, it is those poor souls I worry about, and knock on effects, I can see the Manchester Maserati dealership going out of business.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

Indeed best of both worlds. Given that virtually all cabinet remainers would prefer EEA and virtually all cabinet leavers do too ... and it's the one exit deal that can be easily negotiated within the two year window and before the next general election ... that will almost ceraknly be the outcome anyway.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377

tlg86 said:

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

SPELLING and GRAMMAR FAIL!!!!

"They would affect my employer, and ME."
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

YouGov of GB voters

What is the following?

I am, but these things take time, and I'm worried about the gap between us leaving the EU and the new stuff kicking in.
This discussion has been closed.