Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB in lead for first time since last May as the Tories pay

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,073
    Mr. Fletcher, one hopes your offspring (and yourself, and lady wife) is well.

Mr. Meeks, stop besmirching the good name of fantasists.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,264
    PBers will remember last month that I predicted a large fall in productivity in 2015q4.

Nice to see the OBR also highlighting it:

"The most significant forecast change we have made since November has been to revise
    down potential productivity growth. This is the amount of output the economy can produce
    sustainably per hour worked and is a key driver of its potential size. The data available in
    November showed a pick-up in productivity growth in mid-2015, consistent with our
    assumption that the receding financial crisis would exert less of a drag and that trend
    productivity growth would return to its pre-crisis average rate by the end of the forecast. But
    more recent data suggest that this was another false dawn."

http://cdn.budgetresponsibility.org.uk/Executive-summary-1.pdf

But that doesn't stop the OBR from assuming that productivity will start to grow steadily from now to the far future.

A number of their other assumptions on government borrowing and wage growth also look hopeful.

And the OBR has a history of similarly hopeful predictions of productivity, government borrowing and wage growth which don't happen in reality.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

It turns out that Conservatives are just as fervent believers in the magic money tree as Labour supporters - just different branches.

There are some Conservatives that feel Camborne are in the wrong party, they might well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.... but you would struggle to get a cigarette paper between Camborne and Clegg on most policies, apparently now including the EU.
    Oh it's the populist right that believe most fervently in the magic money tree. They wouldn't agree to tax credit cuts, they wouldn't agree to pensions tax rises, they're now plotting against the Chancellor about changes to disability benefits. You can argue about each of these but there comes a point where you have to accept that the money needs to come from somewhere. The Conservative right, in its Europhobic mania, is regressing to infantility.
    Bollocks.

The tax credit cuts was killed in the lords by Labour and Libdem peers. Those speaking against it in the commons were people like Heidi Allen hardly a populist rightwinger.

The Tory right want Osborne to actual cut spending, not this "reducing the level of increase" nonsense we have had over the past 5-6 years. The government should DO LESS, not try and do more on the cheap.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2015/10/20-conservatives-revolt-over-tax-credits-five-of-them-are-2015-intake-members.html

Messrs Davis, Hollobone, Jenkins and Rees-Mogg reporting for duty SIR.
    Oh no, so an effective majority of only 25ish then. Never mind that it actually died in the Lords.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/07/tax-credit-cuts-escaped-osbornes-u-turn-hit-800000
    Osborne was forced into the humiliating climbdown over tax credits in his autumn statement in November following a defeat for the proposed measures in the House of Lords. The defeat prompted a clash between the government and the upper chamber over whether the Lords could block a measure with such large implications for the government’s finances
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2016
    watford30 said:

JackW said:

watford30 said:

2020 might not be a nailed on win then for the Tories? What a surprise. Complacency will do for them, and Osborne's continued silly games. He's Brown to the core.

How many points will Project Fear add to the Labour score when Cameron and Co really ramp up the ludicrous horror stories, and the proper fighting starts?

Any PBer who seriously thinks the British electorate will put Jezza into Downing Street over any evenly mildly incompetent Conservative is having a brain fart of such epic proportions that it makes the late lamented @Cromwell assertion that Rubio would be the next president appear as a genius moment of political punditry.
    Like I said, complacency. And arrogance.
    The "complacency" lies with those who thought electing Jezza was the answer and the "arrogance" with those who haven't learnt the lessons of May 2015 otherwise known as :

EMICIPM .... :smile:
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2016

Sean_F said:

I think Project Fear is in danger of trashing the Conservatives' reputation for economic competence.

"If we were independent, we simply couldn't handle the powers we'd have without the EU; the country would become a basket case on our watch."
    Sums it up perfectly. People are noticing. That, and the terrible negotiating skills. Even Remain supporters must have seen those, and be troubled.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

It turns out that Conservatives are just as fervent believers in the magic money tree as Labour supporters - just different branches.

There are some Conservatives that feel Camborne are in the wrong party, they might well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.... but you would struggle to get a cigarette paper between Camborne and Clegg on most policies, apparently now including the EU.
    Oh it's the populist right that believe most fervently in the magic money tree. They wouldn't agree to tax credit cuts, they wouldn't agree to pensions tax rises, they're now plotting against the Chancellor about changes to disability benefits. You can argue about each of these but there comes a point where you have to accept that the money needs to come from somewhere. The Conservative right, in its Europhobic mania, is regressing to infantility.
    Bollocks.

The tax credit cuts was killed in the lords by Labour and Libdem peers. Those speaking against it in the commons were people like Heidi Allen hardly a populist rightwinger.

The Tory right want Osborne to actual cut spending, not this "reducing the level of increase" nonsense we have had over the past 5-6 years. The government should DO LESS, not try and do more on the cheap.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2015/10/20-conservatives-revolt-over-tax-credits-five-of-them-are-2015-intake-members.html

Messrs Davis, Hollobone, Jenkins and Rees-Mogg reporting for duty SIR.
    Oh no, so an effective majority of only 25ish then. Never mind that it actually died in the Lords.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/07/tax-credit-cuts-escaped-osbornes-u-turn-hit-800000
    Osborne was forced into the humiliating climbdown over tax credits in his autumn statement in November following a defeat for the proposed measures in the House of Lords. The defeat prompted a clash between the government and the upper chamber over whether the Lords could block a measure with such large implications for the government’s finances
    The measure could have been reintroduced in the Commons. It wasn't. Why? Because of the opposition of the likes of Messrs Davis, Hollobone, Jenkin and Rees-Mogg. Funny how those names keep recurring. It's almost as if there was a pattern.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,819

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

That's exactly what my rants have been about this morning.
    These are the people you're lining up with in the referendum. And it's their complete lack of realism and perspective that I have repeatedly warned about.
    Even people who are wrong about a lot of things can be right about some things. And you just said the other lot believe in the magic money tree, so both sides in the referendum contain large groups who lack realism and perspective on some issues.
    Ask yourself this: if Leave wins, will it be the realists in the ascendant or the infantile fantasists? Which is more likely to produce good governance for the country?
    It's a concern, frankly . Governance probably will suffer (even if Cameron and co are a bit crappy, they've generally been ok and moderate) in the short term at the least, although some are determine to kick out ruling clique even if remain win, so I fear well get a load if disruption regardless. It's taking a gamble about the long term, when governance will return to normal and we have the benefit of not being in the EU.

Can we endure a period of instability that leaving would cause and would the long term benefit be worth it? Reasonable people will disagree, but certainly it won't bevsunshine and roses from the start.

Good day all.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

These are the people you're lining up with in the referendum. And it's their complete lack of realism and perspective that I have repeatedly warned about.
    Even people who are wrong about a lot of things can be right about some things. And you just said the other lot believe in the magic money tree, so both sides in the referendum contain large groups who lack realism and perspective on some issues.
    Ask yourself this: if Leave wins, will it be the realists in the ascendant or the infantile fantasists? Which is more likely to produce good governance for the country?
    It's a concern, frankly . Governance probably will suffer (even if Cameron and co are a bit crappy, they've generally been ok and moderate) in the short term at the least, although some are determine to kick out ruling clique even if remain win, so I fear well get a load if disruption regardless. It's taking a gamble about the long term, when governance will return to normal and we have the benefit of not being in the EU.

Can we endure a period of instability that leaving would cause and would the long term benefit be worth it? Reasonable people will disagree, but certainly it won't bevsunshine and roses from the start.

Good day all.
    In the long run, we all die. Short runs can last a long time.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    £350,000 salaries for Britain’s worst social housing chiefs http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4716264.ece
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Danny565 said:

I can only assume Osborne is on a mission to make Ed Miliband look normal and socially-competent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FvCUbaf9z8&feature=youtu.be

This is the sort of socially inept freak we have governing us. We should sneer at people like Osborne treat him with contempt. Unbelievably there are people, this site is a perfect example, who still hold politicians in some esteem simply because they wear the right colour rosette.

Alternatively there are people who think politicians are doing a good job because they're doing what they believe in which is why they support that colour rosette in the first place.

I care more about what the Chancellor is doing for the economy and taxes than I do how awkward he is when being filmed wish schoolchildren. If you think the latter is more important then more fool you and bring back Blair.
    Bring back Blair? What an extraordinary thing to say, another example of tribalism.

If I honestly believed that, as you opine, they're doing what they believe in I wouldn't be so critical, most of them simply follow the whip for the good of their career, it has nothing to do with principles.
    Not tribalism, just pointing out the dichotomy between being unawkward but not necessarily competent versus potentially competent but awkward. To be perfectly frank if I was interviewed trying to hold a conversation with a group of young schoolchildren I'd probably feel pretty awkward too.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,104
    For those of us who have abandoned Labour because of Corbyn a tiny chink of light has appeared.

IF 'Leave' win and IF one of the leading 'Leavers' becomes leader and IF the current Tory leadership is sidelined then all those left and left of centre voters who have abandoned Corbyn's Labour would not only return en masse but with vigour.

...which would make Corbyn hot favourite to be PM in 2020
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Ask yourself this: if Leave wins, will it be the realists in the ascendant or the infantile fantasists?
    It will be the realists in government.

• Options

£350,000 salaries for Britain’s worst social housing chiefs http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4716264.ece

They are supposed to do other things than build new housing. Still, how much do you think they should be paid? (Presumably supply and demand comes into it somewhere...)

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Don't Academies poll badly? Or is that free schools?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Good day all.
    In the long run, we all die. Short runs can last a long time.
    They can. But sometimes the risk is worth it. I don't condemn those who say it is not worth it, in this instance, the risks are potentially very large and moans from leavers won't stop many people being worried, but even with the risks in is not inevitable the fantasists will ruin things.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So now we are supposedly going to have to restore disability spending which wasn't actually in the budget but which has become cause of the day. I am getting a little tired of Tory backbenchers who say that they want sweeping cuts in public spending and a balanced budget but not that particular cut. First we had the nonsense on in work benefits and now this.

The fact is that the level of expenditure on benefits in this country was and is too high. It distorts public spending away from necessary capital investment into current spending. This in turn undermines our productivity, our long term growth prospects and feeds our balance of payments problems.

The speed with which IDS has been able to bring in Universal Credit has had me tearing my hair out for several years now but the fact is that he was given targets to meet in cutting benefits as part of the deficit reduction strategy. He has chosen some low hanging fruit which includes a lot of people who were getting DLA for reasons that were frequently not particularly obvious. At the same time those with more serious disabilities are already getting more money and support than ever before.

Tory backbenchers really need to grow some backbone. The deficit reduction targets are difficult and are going to get more so. Tories are either committed to reduce the size and cost of the State in the belief that the economy will grow faster and create yet more jobs if we spend more of our own money or they aren't. The WTC fiasco cost the taxayer about £4bn. Now we are talking about another £4bn on disability benefits. The deficit is simply not going to come down, the economy is not going to be rebalanced, capital spending is not going to increase and the trade deficit is not going to fall if we go on like this.

There's always money for Cameron and Osborne to throw at their political problems and always money for Cameron and Osborne to throw at their pet projects.

So its inevitable that other Conservative politicians will want more money to throw at their own political problems and to throw at their own pet projects.

If you want to encourage financial restraint in others you first have to show it yourself.

And that's something Cameron and Osborne aren't willing to do.

• Options

It's not looking good for Osborne today, is it? The Tory nightmare now is that Labour comes to its senses and chooses a vaguely credible leader. If they can lead polls with Corbyn in charge, the opportunities should they have a leader who has even a vague hint of credibility are pretty significant. Luckily for the Tories, Labour is very unlikely to understand this - or to care that much.

Shows how low Labour have fallen that a midterm 1 point lead is considered shocking.

It is absolutely extraordinary that a party led by Jeremy Corbyn should be in the lead in even one opinion poll. But as others have pointed out, the latest YouGov confirms a trend from other polls which has seen the gap between the two parties narrow or even close. The Tories are doing this to themselves.

Not really, a party led by Beelzebub could get a midterm lead in at least one opinion poll, I don't think there's ever been an opposition leader who served a full term that didn't get at least one.

If anything while I too have been warning about the dangers of complacency all along too, a poll lead for Corbyn could be good for us now if it gets Labour to become complacent and keep him in power (and not turn up in June perhaps). The Tories are not the only party for which complacency is a risk.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,128

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

But, isn't some drama in government good fun for the rest of us?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,097
    edited March 2016
    Awwww FeckPissAndShite it wasn't a dream, that YouGov poll really did happen
  • Options
    Roger said:

For those of us who have abandoned Labour because of Corbyn a tiny chink of light has appeared.

IF 'Leave' win and IF one of the leading 'Leavers' becomes leader and IF the current Tory leadership is sidelined then all those left and left of centre voters who have abandoned Corbyn's Labour would not only return en masse but with vigour.

Cameron is going this Parliament no matter what which removes the perverse incentive to vote Remain to keep Cameron for me. Lets vote for Leave on its merits.

Gove (who would be my choice for PM) is one of the present Tory leadership.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    JackW said:

watford30 said:

JackW said:

watford30 said:

2020 might not be a nailed on win then for the Tories? What a surprise. Complacency will do for them, and Osborne's continued silly games. He's Brown to the core.

How many points will Project Fear add to the Labour score when Cameron and Co really ramp up the ludicrous horror stories, and the proper fighting starts?

Any PBer who seriously thinks the British electorate will put Jezza into Downing Street over any evenly mildly incompetent Conservative is having a brain fart of such epic proportions that it makes the late lamented @Cromwell assertion that Rubio would be the next president appear as a genius moment of political punditry.
    Like I said, complacency. And arrogance.
    The "complacency" lies with those who thought electing Jezza was the answer and the "arrogance" with those who haven't learnt the lessons of May 2015 otherwise known as :

EMICIPM .... :smile:
    And if Jezza goes? What then Jack? :smile:
  • Options

Since when did we start believing opinion polls again?
  • Options
    When David Herdson appears on PB, say congratulations to him.

He's going to be a Daddy in a few months time.
  • Options

Last night, otherwise it'd not be as funny a poll, obviously.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited March 2016
    Why are battlescarred PBrs suddenly embracing one poll...have they all forgotten the last GE.....
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited March 2016
    Amidst all the Labour Lead furore - UKIP on 16.

Anyway - anyone think that the 'tampon tax' is going to be David Cameron's "British Sausage/ High fat offal tube" attempt - an inconsequential change of EU policy dressed up to show we have influence?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Don't Academies poll badly? Or is that free schools?

In this YouGov poll only 14% supported the academies plan
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    In the best Lynton Crosby tradition of distracting from poor polling,

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/710747805602676736
  • Options

Even if you ignore the headline figures, the supplementaries are horrific for the Tories
  • Options

Why are battlescarred PBrs suddenly embracing one poll...have they all forgotten the last GE.....

It's several polls that have shown a substantial decline in the Con share.

The polls might not be accurate number-for-number but when they all trend in the same way, you can be pretty sure that the trend is happening.
  • Options

Congratulations David.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Roger said:

Are you saying that you left Labour because of Corbyn but would like him to be Prime Minister? Why leave then?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    One of the most sensible things I have read regarding Brexit, as I have said I don't see any reason not to allow the EU to trade freely with us, after all 5m EU jobs depend on it:

http://www.iea.org.uk/blog/brexit-what-would-it-mean-for-the-eu
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

A new addition to the Herdson household due late September. Proud, excited and ever so slightly scared.

twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/710747805602676736

Congratulations.
  • Options
    @david_herdson Congratulations, Sir
  • Options
    Congratulations, Mr. Herdson.

Dare one ask if you've bet on the birthday? :p
  • Options

Congrats and best wishes for the Herdson clan.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2016
    The day before UKIP won the 2014 Euros
    23 May 2014 C 34 L 35 LD 9 UK 13

The day before the Tory majority
    06 May 2015 C 34 L 34 LD 10 UK 12

And presently;
    17 Mar 2016 C 33 L 34 LD 6 UK 16

Congratulations, David.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    @david_herdson

BTW You should really crop identifying numbers from pictures - just good practice.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,519
    edited March 2016
    JackW said:

watford30 said:

My view is that Corbyn's aim is to change the Labour party's governance. Then, a year or two before the next election, he will stand down and be replaced by another nuttera like-minded individual, the new rules highly favouring nutters like-minded individuals.

The new leader should get a bounce, and if they choose carefully will not have the same hideous backstory as Corbyn. They might even choose someone who can dress and speak well.

It's not Corbyn the country needs to be afraid of: it is his politics.

Edit: but you, know, it's a poll. Does anyone actually trust them?
  • Options
    There always comes a point when a government's post-election honeymoon ends. We've now reached it.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

The polls might not be accurate number-for-number but when they all trend in the same way, you can be pretty sure that the trend is happening.
    Usually.

But they trended towards Labour in the week before the general election.

And congratulations and good luck.
  • Options
    Does Lady Bucket have any redeeming qualities?

.@EmilyThornberry criticising @NickyMorgan01 for trying to improve local schools but sent her child to selective school 14 miles away #bbcqt
  • Options
    Congrats to Mr Herdson and Mr Fletcher.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,385
    Indigo said:

The problem is conviction politics is so passe at the moment, wishy washy centrist metro liberals with no firm views on anything are the preferred lobby fodder. We get the government we deserve if we keep selecting/electing unprincipled PR people to be MPs and ministers we can't that surprised if they don't really care that much about fixing difficult problem if they get in the way of a fast climb up the grease pole.

You might on reflection agree that "wishy washy centrist metro liberals with no firm views on anything" is not a reasonable description of Jeremy Corbyn, or indeed Nicola Sturgeon? It's one reason I voted JC. You're talking about Tories, and it's not impossible that the change in Labour to conviction politics could be a trigger for a matching change in the Tories. Whether that would be a good thing I don't know, but it would certainly make politics more interesting than the random directions that we've had in recent years.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Having a party leader that's in tune with more than 50% of the electorate isn't necessarily something that usually drives an election defeat.

Admittedly, there is a lot more to it than that - no other Conservative manages to score as well as Cameron on being both liked and respected - but Corbyn will still be an economic illiterate with terrorist-appeasing credentials.
  • Options

Congratulations, Mr. Herdson.

Dare one ask if you've bet on the birthday? :p

One doesn't wish to create a conflict of interests.
  • Options

Even if you ignore the headline figures, the supplementaries are horrific for the Tories

If the sample is as skewed as the pre-GE polls, that doesn't matter.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,332

And Cameron and Osborne have had a few months of being really shite at politics. Even more shite than Corbyn. Yeah...that bad. At last Corbyn hasn't insulted the voters' intelligence - even those who will vote Remain can recognise that the renegotiation did not result in the UK now being in some materially reformed EU. As for Osborne.... Not only did he parrot the PM's renegotiation line, he then flunks politics 1.01 by robbing the crippled to give a bit more to those doing rather nicely in life, thank you very much Chancellor. I can only assume the planet he lives on is one that does not involve door-knocking.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Cheltenham Day 4

Picks as accurate as an opinion poll...

1.30 Ivanovich Gorbatov

2.10 Starchitect

2.50 Shantou Village

3.30 Don Cossack

4.10 It Came To Pass

4.50 Ibis Du Rheu

5.30 Raven's Tower
  • Options
    Just realised I haven't yet made the 2016 spreadsheets. Still, it'll give me something to do today... :p

[No thoughts yet on qualifying, but a few ideas on the race].
  • Options

Does Lady Bucket have any redeeming qualities?

.@EmilyThornberry criticising @NickyMorgan01 for trying to improve local schools but sent her child to selective school 14 miles away #bbcqt

She rose from humble beginnings helped only by a father (Labour parliamentary candidate, LSE Professor, United Nations Assistant General Secretary) and mother (Labour councillor and Mayor) of equally working class background.

• Options
    That's great news, long overdue - shame it's not here
    A former midwife, a mother of two girls and a Dawoodi Bohra community leader sentenced over mutilation of two young girls in Australia’s first criminal prosecution for FGM
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/18/three-sentenced-to-15-months-in-landmark-female-genital-mutilation-trial
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Philip Thompson

"Cameron is going this Parliament no matter what which removes the perverse incentive to vote Remain to keep Cameron for me. Lets vote for Leave on its merits.

Gove (who would be my choice for PM) is one of the present Tory leadership."

Whichever of the 'Leavers' takes control it'll look as if the party had tacked RIGHT and for most centrist voters the hard(ish) left will always trump the hard(ish) right.

It's not only Corbyn in isolation that is making the Tories seem invulnerable but the additional fact that Osborne and Cameron are not particularly threatening. Replace them with Johnson/Gove/IDS/ and most centrist voters will see it as UKIP light
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,332

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

The EU is in the mess it is because a group of infantile fantasists thought you could smash 28 countries together to form a super-state. It is as rational as expecting to slam 28 different sub-atomic particles round the Hadron Collider a few times and for it to burp out a complex molecule...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Congrats to Mr Herdson and Mr Fletcher.

Indeed so ....

Clearly it vindicates my theory that PBers do it better and more often .... :smile:

One PB GAIN overnight and one in September .... :smiley:

......................................................................................

Laters ....
  • Options

That's great news, long overdue - shame it's not here

A former midwife, a mother of two girls and a Dawoodi Bohra community leader sentenced over mutilation of two young girls in Australia’s first criminal prosecution for FGM
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/18/three-sentenced-to-15-months-in-landmark-female-genital-mutilation-trial

Being a 'community leader' would stop her from being prosecuted in Britain.
  • Options

Usually.

But they trended towards Labour in the week before the general election.

And congratulations and good luck.
    We don't know that that trend wasn't correct. Perhaps if the election had been a week earlier, the Conservatives would have won a majority of 16 rather than 8, say?

At this stage in a parliament, identifying a trend is good enough. In the week before the election, without a solid baseline, it's a long way from being so!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Roger said:

Cameron is going this Parliament no matter what which removes the perverse incentive to vote Remain to keep Cameron for me. Lets vote for Leave on its merits.

Gove (who would be my choice for PM) is one of the present Tory leadership.

"

Whichever of the 'Leavers' takes control it'll look as if the party had tacked RIGHT and for most centrist voters the hard(ish) left will always trump the hard(ish) right.

It's not only Corbyn in isolation that is making the Tories seem invulnerable but the additional fact that Osborne and Cameron are not particularly threatening. Replace them with Johnson/Gove/IDS/ and most centrist voters will see it as UKIP light

Do you have any evidence for the assertion I've italicised? Cough - 80s - cough.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Philip Thompson

"

Gove (who would be my choice for PM) is one of the present Tory leadership."

Given a straight choice between left wing Labour party, and a right wing Conservative party, voters in marginal seats will opt for the latter. They showed that in the 1980's. A left wing Labour party threatens their property.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning.
    More importantly this morning, the EU is prepared to lick Turkeys bum on the migrant deal, according to the BBC and the PM of that great dutchy, Luxembourg.

Migrant crisis: EU agrees joint position to put to Turkey

All those wanting to remain in this god cursed union will have to continue to obey the likes of Luxembourg and co, on any idiot action they dream up. And if anyone talks of veto I'll laugh even more till he tears run down my face.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Roger said:

Are you saying that you left Labour because of Corbyn but would like him to be Prime Minister? Why leave then?
    No. Like many on here and elsewhere voting for a Corbyn/Mcdonnel Labour Party isn't something I'm planning to do but in a zero sum game where the choice is that or a Tory Party led by Gove/IDS/Johnson then it becomes the lesser of two evils which is Corbyn/Mcdonnel by a distance
  • Options

SandraM said:

Bold prediction, those disability cuts are getting reversed PDQ

Ahem. As I said on an earlier thread, I hoped it was the equivalent of a stripper's thong and was put on only to be discarded with a flourish. Otherwise, they have handed Labour an open goal even Corbyn couldn't miss.

He has already missed it. If the changes are reversed it will be because of Tory backbenchers, not Jeremy Corbyn. To be fair, though, that assumes looking after the disabled is a Corbyn priority. He seems to be much more interested in getting rid of Trident.

A different view in The Waugh Zone:

One of the laziest political tropes around right now (it’s repeated by Ian Birrell in the Telegraph) is that there is ‘no functioning Opposition’, so the Tory government can get away with what it wants. Well, Team Corbyn have their flaws - and not a few critics internally- but on the disability benefits cuts, no one can accuse the Shadow Cabinet of not providing effective opposition.

Jeremy Corbyn made the disability cuts a centrepiece of his response to the Budget, John McDonnell unequivocally vowed to reverse the PIP cuts and Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary Owen Smith was swift to spot the original ‘Friday night drop’ from DWP that started this whole political row last week.

And if disability cuts turns out like tax credit cuts, don’t forget that it was Labour in the Lords that really forced that issue. Of course, Tory rebels are crucial in all this, but the Opposition needs to do its job and it’s being doing it. On defence, Labour have also spotted that hundreds of millions have been shifted around in the Budget.
  • Options

But, after the excessive amount of fertiliser that had been applied over 13 years of NuLabour, the Tree - as Liam Byrne wrote - was fragile/knackered.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Good morning.
    More importantly this morning, the EU is prepared to lick Turkeys bum on the migrant deal, according to the BBC and the PM of that great dutchy, Luxembourg.

All those wanting to remain in this god cursed union will have to continue to obey the likes of Luxembourg and co, on any idiot action they dream up. And if anyone talks of veto I'll laugh even more till he tears run down my face.

Do you not think it would be quite a good idea to try to do a deal with Turkey re the migrants?
  • Options
    Allowing people to keep more of their OWN income (whether earned or UNearned) is not Magic Money Tree stuff ....
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Danny565 said:

I can only assume Osborne is on a mission to make Ed Miliband look normal and socially-competent.

This is the sort of socially inept freak we have governing us. We should sneer at people like Osborne treat him with contempt. Unbelievably there are people, this site is a perfect example, who still hold politicians in some esteem simply because they wear the right colour rosette.

Alternatively there are people who think politicians are doing a good job because they're doing what they believe in which is why they support that colour rosette in the first place.

I care more about what the Chancellor is doing for the economy and taxes than I do how awkward he is when being filmed wish schoolchildren. If you think the latter is more important then more fool you and bring back Blair.
    Bring back Blair? What an extraordinary thing to say, another example of tribalism.

If I honestly believed that, as you opine, they're doing what they believe in I wouldn't be so critical, most of them simply follow the whip for the good of their career, it has nothing to do with principles.
    Not tribalism, just pointing out the dichotomy between being unawkward but not necessarily competent versus potentially competent but awkward. To be perfectly frank if I was interviewed trying to hold a conversation with a group of young schoolchildren I'd probably feel pretty awkward too.
    So why on earth was Osborne filmed eating cereal with children?

The bloke is a weirdo, the epitome of the out of touch elite. I heard him being skewered by Humphries on R4 yesterday, it was cringeworthy.
  • Options
    Congratulations Mr Herdson!
    chestnut said:

And presently;

Congratulations, David.

Direct swing from LD to UKIP.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

The bloke is a weirdo, the epitome of the out of touch elite. I heard him being skewered by Humphries on R4 yesterday, it was cringeworthy.
    Probably was filmed because that's the cringeworthy thing the public and media have come to demand from our politicians. I don't think he invented the idea of a politician going to a school, do you?
  • Options
    btw I see Meeks is now calling those who vote Leave "infantile fantasists".

So, wanting to stand on your own two feet, be accountable, pass your own laws, vote for those who govern you is an infantile fantasy.

I do hope Meeks is invited onto the BBC to express his views.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

MikeK said:

Good morning.

Do you not think it would be quite a good idea to try to do a deal with Turkey re the migrants?
    If we were outside of the EU, would we be involved in any way?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,028

Danny565 said:

Morning all,

Reading some of the analysis in today's papers, it looks like Osborne has done it again and managed to create a budget disaster. Key message, we taking money from people who are so disabled they struggle to feed themselves or use the loo, and given it to middle class professionals who earn around £40K+ a year. A total disaster, as predicted by many of us on PB.

Here's Ian Birrell in DT:

"Regardless, George Osborne managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with a cut disturbing even many loyal supporters in Westminster. “This is the most angry I have seen people since I was elected,” said one backbencher from the 2010 intake."

I presume that Dave, who reliably vetoes attacks on the disabled, was away with work at the EU when this was discussed.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited March 2016
    There is a lot of bed-wetting (on the right) and triumphalism (on the left) on the basis of a few polls. To put it in perspective:

1) We're not even 1 year into a 5-year term
    2) The EU ref is 3 months away, and (IMHO) will be a firm Remain
    3) Even if not, there are still almost 4 years for the Cons to return to a cohesive whole
    4) Osborne has shoved through a load of small-business-friendly changes in this budget, and has started tackling multinational tax-dodging jiggery-pokery. This will bear fruit.
    5) Personal taxation has fallen, and the state continues to recede (in general)
    6) "Corbyn is Crap" is no longer news, but will return to the front of the electorate's minds in an election. And be in no doubt: Corbyn and Co are still Very Crap.
    7) See point 1.

So you should grow a spine (on the right) and calm-down-dear (on the left).

EDIT: The disabled thing was still a dumb rookie move.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Probably was filmed because that's the cringeworthy thing the public and media have come to demand from our politicians. I don't think he invented the idea of a politician going to a school, do you?
    Nope, but he's a fool if he thought it was a good idea, which he clearly did.
  • Options
    The EU and Whose Army - how on earth do Merkel and the Sprouts imagine they're going to actually implement the One Out in their One In, One Out plan for migrants held in Greece ... or is it just all Typical EU B*llsh*t? An easier implementation, though, is visa-free travel for 75 million Turks plus whoever can forge a Turkish identity.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

MikeK said:

Good morning.

No. Turkey, if allowed any grace within the EU will use all it's power under Erdogan to try and islamise great parts of the EU.
  • Options
    Great name for a band

The EU and Whose Army - how on earth do Merkel and the Sprouts imagine they're going to actually implement the One Out in their One In, One Out plan for migrants held in Greece ... or is it just all Typical EU B*llsh*t? An easier implementation, though, is visa-free travel for 75 million Turks plus whoever can forge a Turkish identity.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

It's hilarious for those of us watching from the sidelines. They've even forgotten it's YouGov :)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning.

No. Turkey, if allowed any grace within the EU will use all it's power under Erdogan to try and islamise great parts of the EU.
    NURSE !
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,088
    Jezza is saved !!!!!!!

Sound the 12 gun salute
  • Options
    test
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,088
    Four more years of Corbyn
    Four more years of Corbyn
    La la la la
    La la la la
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The PM used some of the worst kind of language to pre-empt Osborne's attack on the blind and sick.He re-used the phrase of IDS,that disability is a "lifestyle choice".There is nothing more untrue.Most of us "cripples" have worked all our lives and have in no way chosen our various disabilities.It is an insult disabled people understand as part of the propaganda process in order to increase the cull of disabled people comparable with the nazis softening up the public in the 1930s.This government wants us dead.
  • Options

chestnut said:

And presently;

Congratulations, David.

Excuse me, but why are we congratulating Mr Herdson this morning?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    MikeK said:

chestnut said:

And presently;

Congratulations, David.

He managed to get someone knocked-up, it appears.
  • Options
    To be fair I think that any adult of Osborne's age would feel a bit awkward conversing in the public eye with very small children. The only politician I've seen do it convincingly was Ed Balls.

I wonder if there is a fundamental problem in Britain and some other countries that ineffective deficit reduction coupled with sops to party supporters is gradually undermining the consensus (whether right or wrong) that did exist that debt is a serious issue and bringing it down is a priority. A widespread perception in Britain is that Osborne has been flailing away for 6 years, missing all the targets and bashing various more or less innocent civilians, and some more years of the same fails to appeal. People don't follow the details, but they notice that the world hasn't collapsed under the current deficit burden and that the assault on the deficit doesn't seem to be obviously successful. It's that which undermines support for individual elements - people will buy a harsh package with short-term effects, but they don't like it dragging on.

I'm not a believer in magic money trees myself, so I don't think this is altogether healthy for the public discourse. We might disagree on what needs to be done but the consent to do anything very much is ebbing away.
  • Options

Great name for a band

That band will never be fit to tie the laces of these Sprouts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T6e3GJCjow
  • Options
    MikeK said:

chestnut said:

And presently;

Congratulations, David.

Going to be a father. :)
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning.

NURSE !
    DOCTOR!!
  • Options
    David H

"Do you have any evidence for the assertion I've italicised? Cough - 80s - cough."

(Congratulations)

Looking at the recent history of the Tory Party

1990-Tories boot out Thatcher because she was going to lose so replaced her with Major a moderate.

Replaced him with '100 days to save the £' crackpot Hague-humiliation
    Replaced him with bonkers IDS-humiliation
    Replaced him with 'Kick out the Gypos' Howard-humiliation
    Replace him with moderate Cameron-A Hamlet moment

Since Thatcher the electorate never want to see another right wing nutter again!

• Options
    ONS
    #Houseprices rose £309,500 in St Albans but by just £46,500 in Burnley between 1995 and 2015 https://t.co/TKHlzPsQdi https://t.co/jWv3h2gvRW
  • Options

MikeK said:

chestnut said:

And presently;

Congratulations, David.

Going to be a father. :)
    Oh, ho! Many congrats for that Mr Herdson. :)
  • Options
    Roger said:

David H

"Do you have any evidence for the assertion I've italicised? Cough - 80s - cough."

(Congratulations)

Looking at the recent history of the Tory Party

1990-Tories boot out Thatcher because she was going to lose so replaced her with Major a moderate.

Replaced him with '100 days to save the £' crackpot Hague-humiliation
    Replaced him with bonkers IDS-humiliation
    Replaced him with 'Kick out the Gypos' Howard-humiliation
    Replace him with moderate Cameron-A Hamlet moment

Since Thatcher the electorate never want to see another right wing nutter again!

Except that Hague, IDS and Howard all lost to Blair - a moderate and not a Corbyn/Foot style hard left nutter.

Where is the evidence that "hard left" nutters beat "hard right" nutters? Not that Gove and Boris are nutters.
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268
    Problem with Osborne is that he don't learn from his mistakes. In first Omnishambles he cut the upper rate for the wealthy while inflicting big cuts on the rest of us. This budget he has given big tax rises for the upper middle class while hammering the disabled. The British people are prudent lot, and are willing to suffer while deficit is closed, but not when Chancellor is handing away the money saved in big tax cuts to Tory supporters.
  • Options
    According to people familiar with the discussions, unions could be given as long as three years to ensure that all existing members have opted in to their political funds.

For new members there could be a 12-month transition towards an opt-in system.

Meanwhile, members would not have to opt back in every five years, which was the government’s original demand. Instead renewal could occur less frequently, for example every eight years.
    https://next.ft.com/content/387713bc-ec5c-11e5-888e-2eadd5fbc4a4
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning.

NURSE !
    DOCTOR!!
    I am in need of a doctor, but not due to that post. ;)

But seriously: talk about Project Fear ...
  • Options
    F1: perusing the F1 markets now. Baffled as to why there's no to reach Q3 market on Ladbrokes, but there we are.
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268

Also, Turks have an incentive for secretly letting more through so they can then swap existing refugees later. And get paid for the pleasure.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,860
    Tory splits on this issue are a total myth. The Tories are not and have never been a split party, they are a broadly europskeptic party being run by a cadre of statist europhiles. They have frequently overthrown this leadership, but often to elect candidates with deep flaws, especially in presentation, and usually during 'low points' for the party (Thatcher being the diamond amongst the ashes). This invariably leads to an 'establishment' backed candidate recovering the leadership. If and when the Tories find someone with grit and determination, powerful backing within the parliamentary party, and good presentational skills, who is also in accordance with the prevailing party view, another Thatcher era beckons.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    I've started to see Boris-fronted Zac adverts on Youtube. Not sure what this signifies. Back to Cheltenham and congratulations to the Herdson clan. Quite a clear picture, too.
This discussion has been closed.