Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » First post EU deal referendum poll has REMAIN with 15% lead

Comments

• Options
    No one has previously won NH and SC and failed to win GOP nomination. It's Trump v Clinton. And Trump wins that handily.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "DAVID WASSERMAN 7:43 PM
    If I had to bet on second place, I’d put a very slight bet on Rubio over Cruz at the moment. Very early returns in Charleston County show him leading Cruz there 2-to-1, and very early returns in Greenville County show a virtual three-way tie between Trump, Rubio, and Cruz."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/nevada-caucus-south-carolina-primary-presidential-election-2016/
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited February 2016
    Rubio is now favourite to finish 2nd. Not much in it.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    HYUFD said:

CNN 5% in and projects Trump has won South Carolina as well
    32.2% Trump
    22.4% Rubio
    20.9% Cruz
    10.6% Bush
    8.0% Kasich
    6.0% Carson
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/primaries/states/sc/Rep

Not far off the polls. Late surge by Rubio picked up. No-where near enough...
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Ah. Might be a story there.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2016
    AndyJS said:

"DAVID WASSERMAN 7:43 PM
    If I had to bet on second place, I’d put a very slight bet on Rubio over Cruz at the moment. Very early returns in Charleston County show him leading Cruz there 2-to-1, and very early returns in Greenville County show a virtual three-way tie between Trump, Rubio, and Cruz."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/nevada-caucus-south-carolina-primary-presidential-election-2016/

Could be.
    Not entirely convinced but could be.

I say its still 50-50.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941

stjohn said:

Rubio's 3-5-3 strategy.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

No one has previously won NH and SC and failed to win GOP nomination. It's Trump v Clinton. And Trump wins that handily.

He has huge negative figures, even among his own party, without THAT much in the line of attacks from the Democrats
    Clinton has had all the attacks from the Republicans already; she wins if she is not subjected to criminal charges
  • Options

stjohn said:

Betfair have suspended the market (?!)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

CNN 5% in and projects Trump has won South Carolina as well
    32.2% Trump
    22.4% Rubio
    20.9% Cruz
    10.6% Bush
    8.0% Kasich
    6.0% Carson

Not far off the polls. Late surge by Rubio picked up. No-where near enough...
    Cruz back in second with 7% in

Trump 34.2%
    Cruz 21.5%
    Rubio 21.1%
    Bush 9.6%
    Kasich 7.4%
    Carson 6.1%
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    If Rubio makes it to 2nd I think he's going to get all the "momentum" media coverage, and a bunch of money from the establishment as they give up on Bush. Wouldn't like to bet much ainst him despite Trump's strength.
  • Options
    CHeerio Jeb.

FUCK OFF BACK TO DUBYA

CHEERIO
    CHEERIO
    CHEERIO
  • Options
    Betfair have suspended the SC GOP market.
  • Options
    Come on CRUUUZ
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    EPG said:

He has huge negative figures, even among his own party, without THAT much in the line of attacks from the Democrats
    Clinton has had all the attacks from the Republicans already; she wins if she is not subjected to criminal charges
    2 national polls this week showed Trump beating Hillary by 2 and losing to Hillary by 3, with Bloomberg in he wins convincingly.

And those where not Fox News polls that where the only ones previously that showed good numbers for Trump.

Look at favourabilities:

Hillary 37/57
    Trump 37/57

Hillary has fallen to Trump levels.
  • Options
    EPG said:

You could paint a face on my left testie and it would beat Hillary in the election.
  • Options
    Why does DecisionDesk have different figures to CNN? They have the race much closer.

http://www.decisiondeskhq.com/south-carolina-gop-primary/
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Betfair have suspended the SC GOP market.

But WHHHYYY
  • Options
    Speedy said:

EPG said:

2 national polls this week showed Trump beating Hillary by 2 and losing to Hillary by 3, with Bloomberg in he wins convincingly.

And those where not Fox News polls that where the only ones previously that showed good numbers for Trump.

Look at favourabilities:

Hillary 37/57
    Trump 37/57

Precisely my point is not that Clinton is currently ahead, but that Trump has further to fall and not just in favourable numbers - for one thing, 100 per cent of Democrats will be behind Clinton
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,097
    EPG said:

She's never had to face someone with Trump's gift for trolling. She backed off very quickly when he showed he was willing to bring up the details of her past as a fixer for her husband.
  • Options
    Just possible someone other than Trump wins a CD.

Wouldn't surprise me either if it's 50-0 to Trump.
  • Options
    Kasich now ahead of Bush.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2016

If Rubio makes it to 2nd I think he's going to get all the "momentum" media coverage, and a bunch of money from the establishment as they give up on Bush. Wouldn't like to bet much ainst him despite Trump's strength.

Rubio would still theoretically have a chance of winning the nomination if he could consolidate the anti-Trump vote (obviously Kasich and Bush's voters should be his targets, but also I still think he has a chance of picking off some of Cruz's less-hardcore Christians) -- but the problem is it's getting very late in the day for that consolidation to take place in time. By this time in two weeks, nearly 50% of states will have voted already.

On paper his path to the nomination is there, but he needs all the stars to align, and QUICKLY.
  • Options
    Decision desk and CNN numbers are totally out of whack
  • Options

EPG said:

She's never had to face someone with Trump's gift for trolling. She backed off very quickly when he showed he was willing to bring up the details of her past as a fixer for her husband.
    That is one way to look at it - another way is that she insulted him, he insulted her, scores even - I don't think that it will be a surfeit of negatives from Democrats but a deficit of positives among Republicans that will defeat Trump qua nominee
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Decision Desk has Rubio much higher than CNN.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Rubio would still theoretically have a chance of winning the nomination if he could consolidate the anti-Trump vote (obviously Kasich and Bush's voters should be his targets, but also I still think he has a chance of picking off some of Cruz's less-hardcore Christians) -- but the problem is it's getting very late in the day for that consolidation to take place in time. By this time in two weeks, nearly 50% of states will have voted already.

On paper his path to the nomination is there, but he needs all the stars to align, and QUICKLY.
    Some of Kasich and Bush's voters will go to Trump and Cruz and most of Carson's. No candidate, GOP or Democrat, has lost Iowa, NH and SC and gone on to win their party's nomination, the odds very much do not favour Rubio at this point
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

I think he will get all 50 delegates, so much for the myth states being proportional before March 15th, the reality is that most states are still winner take all under certain conditions.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Decision Desk has Rubio much higher than CNN.
    CNN moves into line with DD
  • Options
    Trump has the same 34% strategy as the Labour party - except it is a winning strategy for Trump.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

I think he will get all 50 delegates, so much for the myth states being proportional before March 15th, the reality is that most states are still winner take all under certain conditions.
    Well this one was WTA under quite explicit conditions, moderated only (perhaps) by the cube rule...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Speedy said:

EPG said:

Look at favourabilities:

Hillary 37/57
    Trump 37/57

Fox news this week had Hillary beating Trump by 5% and Bloomberg will likely not run against Hillary. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/18/fox-news-poll-trump-still-leads-national-race-for-gop-nomination.html

It will be close but I think Hillary beats Trump by about 1% or less
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

That is one way to look at it - another way is that she insulted him, he insulted her, scores even - I don't think that it will be a surfeit of negatives from Democrats but a deficit of positives among Republicans that will defeat Trump qua nominee
    It's a geographic election. Trump will win over enough Reagan democrats in the flyover states to swing the election. It won't matter if some Republicans aren't willing to hold their nose and vote Trump because they'll all be in the places where Clinton will pile up votes anyway.
  • Options
    I'm not sure Jeb -> Rubio is a 1:1 transfer, Rubio comes across as way more right wing.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Pulpstar said:

I'm not sure Jeb -> Rubio is a 1:1 transfer, Rubio comes across as way more right wing.

There's a reason for that - he is way more right wing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Never in the history of politics has there been a 1:1 transfer. Not even where you get multiple votes.
  • Options

EPG said:

EPG said:

It's a geographic election. Trump will win over enough Reagan democrats in the flyover states to swing the election. It won't matter if some Republicans aren't willing to hold their nose and vote Trump because they'll all be in the places where Clinton will pile up votes anyway.
    The pendulum, aka regressive component, favours the GOP massively in 2016.

my first long-range 2016 forecast...

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

• Options
    Kasich close to leapfrogging Bush.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Rubio will probably get 80% of Bush votes, Kasich the other 20, maybe Trump will get some crumbs.

But Bush doesn't have many votes, apart from Florida he is usually at 2,3,4%.
  • Options
    Donald Trump is an implied 3.3 right now for Pres !!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Kasich has barely bothered to turn up.

Also why oh why is betfair down?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Kasich just tweeted he is staying in at least until Super Tuesday, bad news for Rubio

'We're hitting up four states over the next four days. In VA, GA, MS or LA? Check out our events page to RSVP! '
    https://twitter.com/JohnKasich?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    The media narrative might be all Rubio and the GOP establishment will be cheering him on but what states does he actually win on Super Tuesday? Not as many as Trump or Cruz thats for sure. The race for the nomination is over. Trump's won.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

If Kasich or Rubio were the GOP candidate it would favour them, but if it is Trump and Cruz then it does not and Hillary must be favourite to narrowly win
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Kasich just tweeted he is staying in at least until Super Tuesday, bad news for Rubio

'We're hitting up four states over the next four days. In VA, GA, MS or LA? Check out our events page to RSVP! '
    The Others just continue to cancel each other out...
  • Options

EPG said:

EPG said:

Hispanics, minorities and women will win it for Hillary
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

If Kasich or Rubio were the GOP candidate it would favour them, but if it is Trump and Cruz then it does not and Hillary must be favourite to narrowly win
    Says who?
  • Options
    Arf Rubio and Cruz identical
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

The Others just continue to cancel each other out...
    Christie said his trip to SC was already booked.

Basically you're in until you aren't.

Having said that Kasich has barely tried here, so that's different from Christie who poured everything into NH
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

Says who?
    Punters judging by their implied odds.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Arf Rubio and Cruz identical

DD keeps showing Rubio ahead...

I'm cashing out at a small loss so my win on Trump can stand.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Looking at Super Tuesday, Kasich could maybe win Vermont? Left-wing state with a primary open to all voters. Doesn't seem like great territory for the "Big 3".

He ain't winning the nomination obviously, but I guess he may as well stay in to make a pitch for the VP spot / a future presidential run.
  • Options
    It's confirmed Trump will get all 50 delegates.
  • Options
    0.2% separating Cruz and Rubio.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Speedy said:

Confirmed by who?
  • Options
    Trump is going to CRUSH Nevada. He's a massive employer there for one./
  • Options
    It seems the endorsement by all elected officials, except Sanford and Graham, and every local media for Rubio got him an extra 7 points.

So endorsements matter, but only in close races.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

It might be difficult for Hillary to maintain the same level of turnout among minorities that Obama did.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Speedy said:

Confirmed by who?
    MSNBC.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Looking at Super Tuesday, Kasich could maybe win Vermont? Left-wing state with a primary open to all voters. Doesn't seem like great territory for the "Big 3".

He ain't winning the nomination obviously, but I guess he may as well stay in to make a pitch for the VP spot / a future presidential run.

Trump is leading in Vermont by a lot.

The only state that Trump is losing in the polls is Texas, and that one to Cruz.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

Nothing like taking your voters for granted. Without Obama on the ticket Dem turnout will be lower. Ohio and Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Florida all go Trump he wins.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

Says who?
    Ignore them. The last DEM to win an election after 2 (or more) previous terms was almost 70 years ago, and he was a new incumbent...

Only one non-incumbent DEM has achieved it. Van Buren in 1836, and he at least was Veep.

It's the GOP's to lose.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

It seems the endorsement by all elected officials, except Sanford and Graham, and every local media for Rubio got him an extra 7 points.

Haley's approval rating is almost 90%. Sen. Tim Scott also has sky high approval ratings. I think it depends who and where it is. The dream endorsements used to be local papers, but no more.
  • Options
    Trump defended planned parenthood in the last debate, and he's winning amongst evangelicals in South Carolina.

THAT is astounding
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Speedy said:

Pong said:

Speedy said:

Confirmed by who?
    MSNBC.
    Oh dear. That's hardly even a news outfit.

But the winner takes all in SC
  • Options
    Cruz back to 2nd.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trump defended planned parenthood in the last debate, and he's winning amongst evangelicals in South Carolina.

THAT is astounding

Though he has now said he is pro life and has threatened to sue Cruz for suggesting otherwise
  • Options
    Bush less than 5,000 votes ahead of Carson in sixth place.
  • Options
    @Tim_B Decided who you're voting for, and where if I may ask. TimT was Georgia/Rubio iirc..
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

THAT is astounding

Though he has now said he is pro life and has threatened to sue Cruz for suggesting otherwise
    Sounds reasonable to me.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

Nothing like taking your voters for granted. Without Obama on the ticket Dem turnout will be lower. Ohio and Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Florida all go Trump he wins.
    No, wrong. Hispanics despise Trump and would vote for Satan if he was on the ballot against him, women will also vote for Hillary over Trump, though Trump will win white men by a large margin. North Carolina and Florida go to Trump, maybe New Hampshire, Colorado and Iowa too but Hillary wins Nevada, Ohio and Pennsylvania and Virginia, enough for a narrow Clinton win
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

No, wrong. Hispanics despise Trump and would vote for Satan if he was on the ballot against him, women will also vote for Hillary over Trump, though Trump will win white men by a large margin. North Carolina and Florida go to Trump, maybe New Hampshire, Colorado and Iowa too but Hillary wins Nevada, Ohio and Pennsylvania and Virginia, enough for a narrow Clinton win
    Florida?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

Says who?
    Ignore them. The last DEM to win an election after 2 (or more) previous terms was almost 70 years ago, and he was a new incumbent...

Only one non-incumbent DEM has achieved it. Van Buren in 1836, and he at least was Veep.

It's the GOP's to lose.
    Yes, well looks like they are quite willing to lose it!!! If Rubio or Kascih were GOP nominee the GOP would almost certainly win, Trump or Cruz offers the Dems a get out of jail free card! Bush Snr also managed it for the GOP in 1988
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

Not true.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/12/breaking-poll-40-of-blacks-line-behind-trump-45-of-hispanics/

Trump will not do worse than Romney with these groups.
  • Options
    With the (currently) Six Cabinet Ministers lined up with Vote Leave does that increase their chance of being the 'official' Electoral Commission body? Instead of 'Barking' or 'Whining' ('Moaning' - the Nats already have 'Whining' - ed)
  • Options
    Jeb's votes will split to Kasich, Rubio and Trump methinks.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

Says who?

It's the GOP's to lose.
    Yes, well looks like they are quite willing to lose it!!! If Rubio or Kascih were GOP nominee the GOP would almost certainly win, Trump or Cruz offers the Dems a get out of jail free card! Bush Snr also managed it for the GOP in 1988
    You forget Clinton, who cancels any toxicity in the GOP candidate.

She trumps Trump in that department!

Besides, candidates are shown to have negligible impact on the fundamentals of the cycle...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Pulpstar said:

Mostly to Kasich and Rubio, in that order. Don't think there'll be many going to Trump or Cruz.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

Says who?
    The polls. Rubio leads Clinton by 4.7% in the RCP poll average, Clinton leads Trump by 2.8%. Rubio and Sanders are tied, Sanders leads Trump by 7.8%
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Speedy said:

Haley's approval rating is almost 90%. Sen. Tim Scott also has sky high approval ratings. I think it depends who and where it is. The dream endorsements used to be local papers, but no more.
    And that was worth only 7%.
    I told you that the Haley endorsement isn't worth much, it didn't give victory to Romney in 2012 and it didn't for Rubio in 2016.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Pulpstar said:

@Tim_B Decided who you're voting for, and where if I may ask. TimT was Georgia/Rubio iirc..

I'm the one who lives in GA. TimT lives in the DC suburbs. He - I think, but he can speak for himself - is a Rubio / Kasich supporter.

I haven't decided yet. I'll be spending next week going to a lot of meetings.

I wish I could find my post comparing TimB and TimT to remove any confusion.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

Ohio and Pennsylvania blue-collar W/C voters will give them to Trump (no matter how often they wheel out Bill and Biden. Virginia trending GOP, Nevada - Trump casinos - it goes Trump. Trump wins (and he doesnt need to try particularly hard)
  • Options
    Looks like Bush has spent around $230 per vote won. $14 million for about 60,000 votes.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Mostly to Kasich and Rubio, in that order. Don't think there'll be many going to Trump or Cruz.
    Bush doesn't have many votes, he has 3% in Nevada, 5% nationally.
    That's why those who drop out dont matter a lot since they already have very few votes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

Says who?
    The polls. Rubio leads Clinton by 4.7% in the RCP poll average, Clinton leads Trump by 2.8%. Rubio and Sanders are tied, Sanders leads Trump by 7.8%
    National polls based on hypothetical match-ups this far out are even more meaningless than usual; its state polls that matter.
  • Options
    The CNN anchor is great.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

Says who?
    If all you needed was the polls, you wouldn't need PB and its successful contrarian pundits now, would you?

• Options
    edited February 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

Not true.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/12/breaking-poll-40-of-blacks-line-behind-trump-45-of-hispanics/

Trump will not do worse than Romney with these groups.
    No, the statement was correct. The Quinnipiac general election poll last week had Trump winning just 17% of Hispanics against Hillary, Rubio won 30% of Hispanics. Romney won 27% of the Hispanic vote in 2012 so Trump does 10% worse than he did!
    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/polling/us/us02182016_Urpfd42.pdf
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm the one who lives in GA. TimT lives in the DC suburbs. He - I think, but he can speak for himself - is a Rubio / Kasich supporter.

I haven't decided yet. I'll be spending next week going to a lot of meetings.
    Ah my apologies !
  • Options
    Greenville and Spartanburg will decide who comes second.
  • Options
    JEB BUSH DROPPING OUT.
  • Options
    Bush drops out.
  • Options
    If you've got the capital, lay Jeb Bush at any price about to suspend
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Bush drops out.

As I predicted a couple of hours ago.
  • Options
    Wow. Bush gone.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

Says who?
    If all you needed was the polls, you wouldn't need PB and its successful contrarian pundits now, would you?

Indeed but until the evidence changes I will go on the evidence we have, delightful though these arguments are
  • Options
    CNN: 60 votes separating Rubio and Cruz.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

Says who?
    National polls based on hypothetical match-ups this far out are even more meaningless than usual; its state polls that matter.
    Only once has the loser of the popular vote won the EC vote in the last 50 years, George W Bush and he lost the popular vote by less than 1%
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    I like Jeb Bush.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

REP 53.4% 353
    DEM 46.6% 185

Says who?

Indeed but until the evidence changes I will go on the evidence we have, delightful though these arguments are
    Polls at this stage are not evidence of anything - except perhaps too many polls...
This discussion has been closed.