Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So it’s on. In just four months Britain will vote whether t

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

viewcode said:

Yorkcity said:

Is there any chance now that a narrow leave vote, could be reversed by another referendum ?
    I know this has happened in the EU before.

For that to happen, the Prime Minister would have to refuse to initiate the leave process[1] and sit on his hands whilst simultaneously restarting negotiations with 27 other countries. If he tried that, the Conservative party would remove him as Prime Minister.

So no, basically.

I now refer you to other posters who will insist that this can be handwaviumed away because reasons.

[1] either by utilising the exit procedure as specified in Lisbon, or by repealing the relevantUK act

It'd be via Article 50. To go down any unilateral route would severely prejudice talks on EEA entry or a bilateral trade deal.
    Yep. Anything other than article 50 puts us in direct breach of our treaty obligations. Something we work very hard not to do for fairly obvious reasons.
    I also don't see any mileage in not using Article 50 in the event of a Leave vote. It will give businesses time to adjust to the changes for a couple of years and the government could hold negotiations for a trade deal at the same time. Leaving unilaterally by repealing all of the relevant legislation would be a disaster, I think a few bad losers (Osborne) in the remain camp might want to look at it so the ensuing disaster can be blamed on the leave side to strengthen their case for re-entry or leadership ambitions having been on the losing side.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, worked in the General Election.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

One of the things that I don't think I will ever really get to grips with instantly about betting, despite doing it for a living and having worked in the game 20 odd years, is that a 9/4 shot has a 30.77% chance of winning no matter what

So if you backed Tiger Woods at his pomp for a major at 9/4 you'd think it was a likely winner

If you backed a horse in the Grand National at 9/4 it would be the most likely winner ever in the race (I think)

On the other hand, you back a cricket team in a t20 at 1/4 in running, they lose a couple of wickets and go 9/4, you think you are certain to lose

But they all have the same chance of winning whether they are favourite in a big field or outsider of two

LEAVE is 9/4.. but it seems less likely to win than Tiger Woods or that mythical Horse

For reference, Marco Rubio is best-priced at 9/4 for the GOP nomination. Is that better or worse than Leave?
    The same!
    I meant is it better or worse value than Leave!!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

Mr. Viceroy, indeed. Not only that, but he's thrown away leverage, so even if we get someone with some backbone, they'll have a much harder time of it.

Unless Cameron's still there in 2020, and Labour's led by Corbyn, I'm not sure I'll vote Conservative again whilst he's leader.

Since you like classical allusions, the fight over the EU on the right is like the Social War between the Romans and the Italian Allies.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Does anyone have the relevant excerpt for the non-EMU protections to hand? I'm seriously hung over and don't want to comb through pages of bullshit to find it!

Still hung over at 4pm! I'm impressed
    I didn't get in until 7am! When work are paying for a night out it tends to end up this way. D:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

LOL

just listening to Cameron's speech. He's really laying on the scare the voters theme

Surprised he didn't go the whole hog and wear a Ghostface mask....
  • Options
    Mr. F, must admit, that's a bit of a blind spot for me. The Social War was before the Catiline Conspiracy, and after the Jugurthine War, right?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

LOL

just listening to Cameron's speech. He's really laying on the scare the voters theme

The more bizarre bit is his repeated claim of a reformed EU. He's reformed nothing but sounds as if he believes his own propaganda.
  • Options
    Philip Hammond ‏@PHammondMP 10m10 minutes ago
    #EUreform deal tilts the balance firmly in favour of the UK remaining in. We're stronger, safer, better off in EU on these terms than out

Tory members out in the country must be besides themselves with anger this afternoon listening to these so-called euro-sceptics suddenly finding reasons why all the issues have been sorted out.

There'll be reckoning over all this at some point.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mr. Viceroy, indeed. Not only that, but he's thrown away leverage, so even if we get someone with some backbone, they'll have a much harder time of it.

Unless Cameron's still there in 2020, and Labour's led by Corbyn, I'm not sure I'll vote Conservative again whilst he's leader.

Since you like classical allusions, the fight over the EU on the right is like the Social War between the Romans and the Italian Allies.
    Do you mean the Roman establishment won the war but had to give the despised provincials the thing they wanted in any case ?
  • Options
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited February 2016

Looks like the Quite Nasty Party vs the Very Nasty Party doesn’t it!

That's quite a harsh assessment of the different LEAVE factions who seem to me to be a rather colourful group, adding much to the gaiety of the nation.

Will the fraternal LEAVE brothers of Nigel Farage and George Galloway be supping from each others cream dish ... I'm agog in anticipation.

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    rcs1000 said:

Cameron is going to spend a lot of time these next few months alongside Lib Dems, Labour, Greens

We all gravitate to where we're comfortable

Is there something about you and George Galloway you wish to tell us?
    Yeah I can't abide the man. No idea what he thinks of me
  • Options

LOL

The more bizarre bit is his repeated claim of a reformed EU. He's reformed nothing but sounds as if he believes his own propaganda.
    When performing karaoke there's no point sounding hesitant about the quality of your offering. Regardless of the merits, you've got to belt it out.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

#EUreform deal tilts the balance firmly in favour of the UK remaining in. We're stronger, safer, better off in EU on these terms than out

Tory members out in the country must be besides themselves with anger this afternoon listening to these so-called euro-sceptics suddenly finding reasons why all the issues have been sorted out.

This Tory member of 40 years standing is beside hmself with tolerance, emolience and tenderness. Philip is my next door MP and he won't suffer any backlash, neither will Dom Raab whichever side he chooses.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'Any thoughts on this assertion from StrongerIn?

For every £1 we put into the EU, we get almost £10 back through trade, investment, jobs and lower prices'

Yes - it's rubbish
  • Options

Mr. F, must admit, that's a bit of a blind spot for me. The Social War was before the Catiline Conspiracy, and after the Jugurthine War, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_War_(90–88_BC)

This is a very good fictional account of the events before, during and after:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Grass-Crown-Masters-Rome/dp/0099462494

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited February 2016

Perhaps not the smartest time to be dropping to 600 constituencies and causing lots of reselections to happen, a number of Constituency Associations are going to be deeply pissed off with their candidate who suddenly turned out to be a careerist and not a eurosceptic. The CAs were all ready pissed off with Cameron for telling their MP to ignore the association. The results might be unfortunate.. or even regrettable :D

If there are 100+ Leave Tory MPs one wonders how many letters are being written to the 1922 tonight ;)
  • Options

LOL

When performing karaoke there's no point sounding hesitant about the quality of your offering. Regardless of the merits, you've got to belt it out.
    yes its back to politics is show biz for ugly people.
  • Options
    Mr. Richard, interesting article, particularly the roles of Sulla, Marius and Caepio (whose father appears to be the chief imbecile responsible for the Roman defeat at Arausio, one of the worst in Roman history).
  • Options
    'When performing karaoke there's no point sounding hesitant about the quality of your offering. Regardless of the merits, you've got to belt it out.'

That's just a nice way of rewriting Goebbel's famous dictum isn't it?

'The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it.'

Perhaps Cameron & co. might want to beware the follow up though

'They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous'
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Do you mean the Roman establishment won the war but had to give the despised provincials the thing they wanted in any case ?
    That's a good point.

I was thinking more of equally-matched adversaries who'd vanquished all potential rivals going to war with each other.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    I think Boris is damaging his credibilty by his faffing about.

It is clear to everyone that his delay is purely a personal calculation of his leadership chances and nothing to do with his view of the advantages and disadvantages of being in the EU.

I don't think it will help the LEAVE campaign very much if he joins them, particularly if he leads the campaign. It is too serious an issue.

Can you imagine Boris being grilled by Andrew Neil on the consequences of a LEAVE victory?

Neil: So Mr Johnson, if the UK votes LEAVE, what do you believe is the best trading arrangment for the UK - the Norway model, or the Swiss model or something else?

Johnson: (Ruffling his hair) We will be free to make our own decision! We will be free ..

Neil: Yes - but which what do you believe is the best trading arrangment for the UK - the Norway model, or the Swiss or something else?

Johnson: You and i have been friends for a long time Andrew .. waffle, waffle

Neil: Yes - but what do you believe is the best trading arrangment for the UK - the Norway model, or the Swiss or something else?

Johnson: Nescio propter Deum Andrew

Boris is just not going to be able to hack the detailed grilling he will get as leader of the LEAVE campaign. I suspect he knows this. I suspect he will back REMAIN and not be found out.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Perhaps not the smartest time to be dropping to 600 constituencies and causing lots of reselections to happen, a number of Constituency Associations are going to be deeply pissed off with their candidate who suddenly turned out to be a careerist and not a eurosceptic. The CAs were all ready pissed off with Cameron for telling their MP to ignore the association. The results might be unfortunate.. or even regrettable :D

If there are 100+ Leave Tory MPs one wonders how many letters are being written to the 1922 tonight ;)
    None.

The MPs will be well aware of the likelihood of Cameron resigning if Leave wins and of their much better mandate to move against him then if he doesn't. If they try to depose him now, when he's delivered on his promise then they'd look ridiculous.
  • Options

LOL

Don't miss the morning thread. You're going to love it.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

"A big problem for Cameron was seen in this morning’s newspapers. generally the Tory press is hostile and wants Britain to leave. This means that effectively the campaign could be Cameron vs the Tory press – the same media that played such a part in getting him elected last May."

That is indeed a problem, although it was noticeable and notable that The Sun didn't have a splash front page kicking Cameron's backside.

All the same, Cameron is going to spend a lot of time these next few months alongside Lib Dems, Labour, Greens and SNP politicians, while many of his activists, members, MPs and cabinet campaign, as well as - as you rightly say - the Tory-supporting media go against him.

Good job he doesn't really need that media again!

David I can not believe any Labour politicians with ambitions of leadership will share any platform with Cameron during this period.
    They will not as before be travelling up to Scotland on the same day to save the Union, they now know how that one played out.
    Cameron Blair Straw Blunkett Mandelson maybe.
    All new Labour together as that is what Cameron and Osborne are new Labour disciples.
    Sturgeon has already said that the SNP won't campaign alongside the Tories, and the sight and smell of SLab's decomposing corpse will have done nothing to change that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,076
    BBC reporting the DUP will back Leave which will boost the Out campaign in Northern Ireland
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

That's a good point.

I was thinking more of equally-matched adversaries who'd vanquished all potential rivals going to war with each other.
    Octavian v Antony is more of a 'last men standing' conflict.

• Options

LOL

Is it "Tory party splits as Osborne is outed as spawn of Jimmy Saville"?
  • Options
    runnymede said:

'When performing karaoke there's no point sounding hesitant about the quality of your offering. Regardless of the merits, you've got to belt it out.'

'The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it.'

Leavers sure do love their Nazi references.
  • Options
    Cameron will have the Guardian, the Mirror, the Independent online, the FT and the BBC behind him in the Remain camp, the Sun, the Mail, the Express, the Telegraph and probably the Times will back Leave
  • Options

runnymede said:

That's another 1/100 shot landed.

A serious question Mr Meeks, what % of those who vote Leave do you consider to be Nazi sympathisers?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy: what time do we get the results of the Nevada Democrat caucuses and the SC Republican primary?

The Nevada caucuses start at 11am US Pacific Mountain time and results are due from mid-afternoon ie about 10pm or 11pm GMT. Polls close in South Carolina at 7pm Eastern time ie midnight GMT
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    HYUFD said:

Cameron will have the Guardian, the Mirror, the Independent online, the FT and the BBC behind him in the Remain camp, the Sun, the Mail, the Express, the Telegraph and probably the Times will back Leave

The Murdoch papers will back whatever result is more likely. They need to be able to say "It was the Sun What Won It"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

so it will be all the dying newspapers versus the ones that still have a readership ?
  • Options

LOL

Tiz most strange. How they must be laughing in Brussels.

"Us? Reformed? Mwahahahahahahahahahaaaa....."

• Options

runnymede said:

A serious question Mr Meeks, what % of those who vote Leave do you consider to be Nazi sympathisers?
    Serious answer, constantly refighting the Second World War isn't going to allay any concerns that Leavers are backward-looking Little Englanders. Leavers need to start reaching for less confrontational metaphors.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

isam said:

isam said:

One of the things that I don't think I will ever really get to grips with instantly about betting, despite doing it for a living and having worked in the game 20 odd years, is that a 9/4 shot has a 30.77% chance of winning no matter what

So if you backed Tiger Woods at his pomp for a major at 9/4 you'd think it was a likely winner

If you backed a horse in the Grand National at 9/4 it would be the most likely winner ever in the race (I think)

On the other hand, you back a cricket team in a t20 at 1/4 in running, they lose a couple of wickets and go 9/4, you think you are certain to lose

But they all have the same chance of winning whether they are favourite in a big field or outsider of two

LEAVE is 9/4.. but it seems less likely to win than Tiger Woods or that mythical Horse

For reference, Marco Rubio is best-priced at 9/4 for the GOP nomination. Is that better or worse than Leave?
    The same!
    I meant is it better or worse value than Leave!!
    Oh sorry... I haven't a clue, I don't really even know who Rubio is!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

BBC reporting the DUP will back Leave which will boost the Out campaign in Northern Ireland

I expect that in the end, a very large majority of Unionists will vote Leave.
  • Options

LOL

Well I'm gushing in praise of Osborne in this piece but the conclusion may surprise you.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Will Rupert Murdoch back LEAVE? I am ignorant in this matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

LOL

Nah - Osborne has Richard Nixon's nose.....

EDIT:

Nixon: http://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embedded_full/public/2014/10/06/1010deepthroat07.jpg

Osborne:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/626832022061875200/rAK0SMIW.jpg
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The Murdoch papers will back whatever result is more likely. They need to be able to say "It was the Sun What Won It"
    Fraid so Robert, there will be a lot of disappointed outers if they're betting the house on Murdoch favouring any side but himself.
  • Options

runnymede said:

Yes the left, the BBC, the gays.. they're all so pure when it comes to this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/for-the-record/alex-wood-an-apology-6209529

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/unfortunate-bbc-moustache-for-nigel-farage-8829452.html

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/05/26/sandi-toksvig-compares-nigel-farage-to-adolf-hitler/

• Options
    Serious answer, constantly refighting the Second World War isn't going to allay any concerns that Leavers are backward-looking Little Englanders. Leavers need to start reaching for less confrontational metaphors.

like referring to our opponents as 'the mob' perhaps?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

LOL

Actually, the ugliest person I have ever seen was at a PB drink, so there might be something in it
  • Options
    isam said:

LOL

Actually, the ugliest person I have ever seen was at a PB drink, so there might be something in it
    remember beauty is on the inside :-)
  • Options

runnymede said:

Refighting the Second World War? Where on earth are you getting this bollox from?

You've gone from a measured, sensible pollster to a rabid fool over this issue.

Your "serious answer" was nothing of the sort, simply more of the infantile name calling you allegedly disapprove of.
  • Options

LOL

Well I'm gushing in praise of Osborne in this piece but the conclusion may surprise you.
    I suspect your gushing maybe be premature and could damage your keyboard.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

yes it is quite Irish. The Unionists vote to leave the Union while the separatists demand it should be ever closer. That's why I love my homeland.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The DUP will back Leave, the UUP Remain
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is no way on earth the Sun will back Remain while Murdoch owns it, he despises the EU, after all the Sun backed Yes in Scotland and lost
  • Options
    CBS South Carolina GOP Final

Trump 42%
    Cruz 20%
    Rubio 15%
    Kasich 9%
    Bush 6%
    Carson 6%

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-south-carolina-still-solidly-for-donald-trump-hillary-clinton/
  • Options

LOL

When you read it, remember I did this thread for you.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2016
    HYUFD said:

Trump 42%
    Cruz 20%
    Rubio 15%
    Kasich 9%
    Bush 6%
    Carson 6%

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-south-carolina-still-solidly-for-donald-trump-hillary-clinton/

That's the old one.

If Google Trends is right Trump is battling for third place with Kasich.
  • Options

LOL

When you read it, remember I did this thread for you.
    No you did it for our great nation and to repudiate Conservative special interest groups like School Snitches for Osborne.
  • Options
    Spineless, careerist scum,

Yes it's nauseating. It really is the Big Lie.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

There is no way on earth the Sun will back Remain while Murdoch owns it, he despises the EU, after all the Sun backed Yes in Scotland and lost
    They can say: with reluctance, and although there is much that is wrong with the EU, it is for Leave to make the case. The Sun, therefore, recommends - with a heavy heart - that we stay in.

But he'll only do it if:
    (a) Remain is going to win anyway
    and
    (b) He's got assurances from the EU that they won't block the creation of Sky Europe
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scum. I am surprised how angered I am. But I am. Spineless, careerist scum,
    I had a theory (no more than a theory) that people only really ever get angry at themselves... ie angry at someone lying because you trusted them, angry at someone letting you down because you had faith in them etc
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

When the dust settles we might just get the Conservative Corbyn moment where the activists are disconnected from the MPs and elect the unelectable.

2020 might yet be a damned close thing.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    runnymede said:

Accusing Cameron and Co of telling lies requires some proof of you statement. If that's all that Leavers can say they will lose. Posted by a possible Leaver.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 42%
    Cruz 20%
    Rubio 15%
    Kasich 9%
    Bush 6%
    Carson 6%

That's the old one.

Actually from 9am this morning SC time Trump was back im front on Google trends there is a new CBS poll out but CBS still only have the old one up apologies
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    ST calling someone spineless.. hilarious.. ST ..also known as old jelly knees
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 42%
    Cruz 20%
    Rubio 15%
    Kasich 9%
    Bush 6%
    Carson 6%

That's the old one.

I'm happy to offer evens that Kasich won't beat Trump...

Not expecting many takers, mind.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Trump narrowly back in front as 2nd fav for President (versus Clinton) after Rubio snatched the position overnight...
  • Options
    If Turkey gets into even a moderate shooting war with Russia the refugee movements will make Syria look like a tea party, not to mention that Turkey will also lose all interest in stopping the existing flows, especially if the EU refuses to help.
  • Options

SeanT said:

When the dust settles we might just get the Conservative Corbyn moment where the activists are disconnected from the MPs and elect the unelectable.

Corbyn vs Farage vs Patel

A plague on all our houses.
  • Options

ST calling someone spineless.. hilarious.. ST ..also known as old jelly knees

Ah the Daily Doddy Dribbles.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    What price democracy in the EU? What significant non parliamentary rights do we have compared to Malta? I have no idea. Can anyone enlighten me whilst maintaining my will to live?

The total population of the 14 least populated EU member states is less than the individual populations of UK and France (Sweden being no.14). You need the addition of Hungary (no.15) to net Germany.

If the democratic bit of the EU is just the parliamentary bit then Cameron’s deal is surely not democratic without EU parliamentary approval, so can we complain if that’s how it turns out?
  • Options
    If the Tories split then we get Corbyn in 2020...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Corbyn vs Farage vs Patel

A plague on all our houses.
    And yet could be the most interesting election in quite some time.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

I had a theory (no more than a theory) that people only really ever get angry at themselves... ie angry at someone lying because you trusted them, angry at someone letting you down because you had faith in them etc
    Quite possibly true, in my case. I am probably a dupe and a halfwit. And a knob.

Nonetheless this is what I feel, and I am not even a Tory.

I can't imagine how a loyal eurosceptic Tory member or activist is feeling right about now (and "loyal eurosceptic" describes 60% of them at a guess). I don't think it will be pretty. I do think they will have their revenge.
    The danger for the Conservative Party is if Remain wins 60:40, and then they elect a hardcore "Out-ter", who moves the party in a direction that has just been fairly roundly rejected by the electorate.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Trump 42%
    Cruz 20%
    Rubio 15%
    Kasich 9%
    Bush 6%
    Carson 6%

That's the old one.

Actually from 9am this morning SC time Trump was back im front on Google trends there is a new CBS poll out but CBS still only have the old one up apologies
    Don't mix it up with the national CBS poll that came out 2 days ago.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    It does occur to me that the right leaning euro sceptics might have been better off with a minority labour government. Cameron would have gone with a probable more 'sound' successor ready to hold a referendum with an out recommendation when a lab/snp/rump lib government collapsed.

Instead we are faced with the possible cosmic irony of cam making the world safe for european social/Christian democracy. Nick clegg's last laugh?
  • Options
    perdix said:

runnymede said:

Accusing Cameron and Co of telling lies requires some proof of you statement. If that's all that Leavers can say they will lose. Posted by a possible Leaver.

Not quite sure how someone deals with this. Cameron has made a series of Statements today which are directly contradicted by the document he has agreed. I assume that he has actually read and understood the document so he must know that what he is saying is not born out by the facts. How would you define that?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

If Turkey gets into even a moderate shooting war with Russia the refugee movements will make Syria look like a tea party, not to mention that Turkey will also lose all interest in stopping the existing flows, especially if the EU refuses to help.
    Aren't the areas where there are likely to be shooting matches the bits with lots of Kurds in?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Quite possibly true, in my case. I am probably a dupe and a halfwit. And a knob.

I can't imagine how a loyal eurosceptic Tory member or activist is feeling right about now (and "loyal eurosceptic" describes 60% of them at a guess). I don't think it will be pretty. I do think they will have their revenge.
    Quite. Imagine you pounded the streets for a 'eurosceptic' MP, especially in a marginal, enduring all sorts of insults. And you find out that 'eurosceptic' is nothing of the sort.

The bitterness will be enormous.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

They can say: with reluctance, and although there is much that is wrong with the EU, it is for Leave to make the case. The Sun, therefore, recommends - with a heavy heart - that we stay in.

But he'll only do it if:
    and
    (b) He's got assurances from the EU that they won't block the creation of Sky Europe
    Given Remain will only win narrowly Murdoch will not risk it especially as most Sum readers will vote Leave he does not want to lose them to the Star or Mail
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy: what time do we get the results of the Nevada Democrat caucuses and the SC Republican primary?

In 2 hours time for Nevada, and 7 hours from now for S.C.

In Nevada they do an entrance poll not an exit poll since it's a caucus.
    They start in the morning and finish an hour later.
  • Options

perdix said:

runnymede said:

Not quite sure how someone deals with this. Cameron has made a series of Statements today which are directly contradicted by the document he has agreed. I assume that he has actually read and understood the document so he must know that what he is saying is not born out by the facts. How would you define that?
    Being a politician?
  • Options
    taffys said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Quite. Imagine you pounded the streets for a 'eurosceptic' MP, especially in a marginal, enduring all sorts of insults. And you find out that 'eurosceptic' is nothing of the sort.

The bitterness will be enormous.
    I might just join the conservatives now so I can vote against the reslection of my MP :-)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

The danger for the Conservative Party is if Remain wins 60:40, and then they elect a hardcore "Out-ter", who moves the party in a direction that has just been fairly roundly rejected by the electorate.
    A lot of ifs in there, mate.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290

LOL

Yep - and it'll be very effective.

Reminds me of Gordon Brown just before the Scottish referendum when he started talking about the State pension.

How many people would have even thought of that being raised as an issue?

But it was very clever - designed to make all those reliant on it think "Oh no, I never dreamt there might even be a chance I might lose some of my pension. That's enough - forget this - we have to stay in the UK".

Very effective tactic indeed.

Now Cameron will do the same this time - it's very noticeable how much he is talking about "safety" - designed to frighten people as much as possible - just like Brown with the State pension.

And the same tactic will be used yet again in GE 2020 against Labour re defence.
  • Options

runnymede said:

Outside the metropolitan areas and the dinner party circuit quite a lot of people might take being called a little Englander as some sort of compliment. The metro liberals seem to feel that patriotism and believing in your country is a little jejune, if not rather embarrassing (see Lady Nugee) . Something they have in common with the Corbynistas ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

But he'll only do it if:
    and
    Given Remain will only win narrowly Murdoch will not risk it especially as most Sum readers will vote Leave he does not want to lose them to the Star or Mail
    We'll see; but don't forget that Murdoch's business interests come ahead of any political principles he may (or may not) have.
  • Options
    AHhh.. Tyndal..I wondered how long it would take for your asinine comments to appear ..you never fail to disappoint.. well done..
  • Options
    MikeL said:

LOL

Yep - and it'll be very effective.

Reminds me of Gordon Brown just before the Scottish referendum when he started talking about the State pension.

How many people would have even thought of that being raised as an issue?

But it was very clever - designed to make all those reliant on it think "Oh no, I never dreamt there might even be a chance I might lose some of my pension. That's enough - forget this - we have to stay in the UK".

Very effective tactic indeed.

Now Cameron will do the same this time - it's very noticeable how much he is talking about "safety" - designed to frighten people as much as possible - just like Brown with the State pension.

And the same tactic will be used yet again in GE 2020 against Labour re defence.
    Yes Osborne could threaten to remove our pensions .... oh wait

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

runnymede said:

Doesn't one of the centre piece arguments for remaining in the EU revolve around it preventing WW3 and the importance of avoiding the horrors of WW1 and WW2?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

rcs1000 said:

In 2 hours time for Nevada, and 7 hours from now for S.C.

In Nevada they do an entrance poll not an exit poll since it's a caucus.
    They start in the morning and finish an hour later.
    Entrance polls for caucuses are rubbish see Iowa results from Nevada will actually come in about 9 to 10 pm GMT for SC from midnight
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Aren't the areas where there are likely to be shooting matches the bits with lots of Kurds in?
    That's one of the reasons why Obama is working the phones trying to stop Turkey.

Right now you already have the embarassment of CIA backed rebels fighting Pentagon backed rebels, you don't need Turkey fighting a shooting war with Russia and Iraq on top of the Kurds and the Syrians.
  • Options
    taffys said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A lot of ifs in there, mate.
    Only two, really:
    1. A biggish win for In (30% probability)
    then
    2. Electing a hardcore Out-er (50%)

• Options

perdix said:

runnymede said:

Maybe he didn't read it, or didn't understand it.
  • Options

perdix said:

runnymede said:

Cameron has lied openly on various issues before.

Whether he realises he is lying or is capable of Orwellian doublethink I can't say.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The DUP will back Leave, the UUP Remain
    They are a handful of MPs, the real question is how will their electorate vote, which might be a completely different matter.
This discussion has been closed.