Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Only one PB Oldham competition entrant over-stated Labour i

Comments

• Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Leytonstone tube is famous for its Hitchcock mosaics:

http://www.thejoyofshards.co.uk/london/hitch/

That's the 10'o'clock news over and nothing about Leytonstone.
    Not exactly in the interests of many (the government especially) to make it very public, especially with the Syrian angle of the story.
    Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

News 24 just spent two full minutes reporting the Islamist terrorism in Leytonstone.

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.
    No mention of "This is for Syria".

What a disgraceful and disgusting organisation the BBC have become.

As I said on the night of the Syrian vote, Cameron and Benn now own the Syrian issue and are very vulnerable on any ISIS moves.
    And?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

From the Met Police:

"One man has sustained serious knife injuries; these are not believed at this stage to be life-threatening. Two other people have sustained minor injuries.

Commander Richard Walton, who leads the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, said: "We are treating this as a terrorist incident. I would urge the public to remain calm, but alert and vigilant.

http://news.met.police.uk/news/counter-terrorism-command-now-investigating-incident-at-leytonstone-140905

It sounds like luckily everybody will live to tell the tale, albeit I am sure with live long injuries and mental trauma.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

From the Met Police:

"One man has sustained serious knife injuries; these are not believed at this stage to be life-threatening. Two other people have sustained minor injuries.

Commander Richard Walton, who leads the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, said: "We are treating this as a terrorist incident. I would urge the public to remain calm, but alert and vigilant.

http://news.met.police.uk/news/counter-terrorism-command-now-investigating-incident-at-leytonstone-140905

I was going to say my money would be on paranoid schizophrenia rather than organised terrorism, but maybe not then
    I always think you've got to be at least a little bit crazy to do something like this.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    AndyJS said:

From the Met Police:

Do the police still say things like "helping us with our enquiries?"

I remember sometime in the 70s a man was found in the boot of a car shot through the head and with his hands and legs bound. The initial police quote was that they couldn't rule out violence at this stage.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited December 2015

From what I gather the police had to taser the guy several times before he went down. Sounds like lucky there weren't more injuries.

I thought tasers were meant to immobilise?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

From the Met Police:

I was going to say my money would be on paranoid schizophrenia rather than organised terrorism, but maybe not then
    I always think you've got to be at least a little bit crazy to do something like this.
    Probably both.

Many attackers with mental health difficulties have causes to further; it is a not uncommon symptom of schizophrenia.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2015
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Twitter claiming there is at least one dead, beheaded guy.

Cav Empt.

My nine year old daughter lives in this city.

Hm.

The tame lefty at work likes to claim that The West is the most evil, violent empire ever etc.

I asked her what she thought the Romans would have done after 7/7. Or the Carthage... Everyone started joining in - apparently there were some quite interesting* characters in Korean history...

*interesting in the Tom Knox novel character sense
    I'm sooooo close to telling my lefty friends QUITE HOW MUCH I DESPISE EVERY STUPID FUCKING THING THEY BELIEVE.

There's a couple I am close to lamping.

They just don't understand. Their whole worldview is predicated on West = Rich = Bad, and Brown = Oppressed = Good. So Islamism just does not compute. They do not even begin to understand it. Every comment they make is laughably uninformed.

A great world religion has mutated. It is an existential threat to everyone on the planet.

I'm sorry but to mutate is to change. This is a major religion having elements who act as many of their religious compatriots did a thousand years ago. Islam needs to mutate to a modern peaceful religion. The unwillingness to accept religions have long standing nasty elements for fear of upsetting people is deep seated in the modern era. To point out problems with religions today is seen to be bigoted rather than enlightened.
    Bleeding heart liberals like you have already declares Islam as the "religion of peace" taking all the pressure off them to reform.
    I have never used that phrase! Never I challenge you to find a single post I have ever made saying that. I have long said that Islam is a medieval religion and this is barbaric medieval behaviour. In an ideal world I'd see people become agnostic or atheist rather than reform. Or at least get on with their day to day lives with only a token nod towards the religion. Like most Europeans.

We need Islamic Richard Dawkins taking the fight direct to this medieval bullshit. Clear enough for you?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    edited December 2015
    Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Dair said:

BBC just reported it. A single sentence.

No mention of Islam, no mention of "This is for Syria".

WTF

Inexcusable really. Let's face it they have Sky news on in the background so they are more than aware.

Mind you they have to be impartial apparently and cannot show any bias to ISIS enemies. It's the charter n'stuff ... Innit.
    Hey, at least they refer to them as the 'so called Islamic State', which is more than people would expect, as I have no doubt people object to supposedly validating the group by calling them that.
    I think they were asked not to do that and refer to them a Daesh. That's where the we got the immortal line... can't give any favour to their enemies to remain balanced.
    Calling them IS seems better to me than Daesh. Leaving aside that the idea it really upsets IS to be called Daesh seems questionable (and who cares if it does), it reminds everyone what IS are claiming to be and, one would hope, enrages those who feel the name and message of is being perverted by these butchers. So whatever the motivation, I support that decision - going with Daesh seems pointless and ignoring the reality of what IS claim to be, which has to be directly challenged if it is to be refuted.
    I think the idea was that it has nothing to do with Islam and only gives them more credibility.
    Yes, and that's stupid, because it does have something to do with Islam, even if it is a minority practised, warped version of it. Millions of people, which is thankfully still a small percentage of the total, think they are great adherents of Islam. So by continuing to say the words 'Islamic State' the BBC, intentionally or not, undermines the attempts to pretend IS has nothing to do with Islam, while making clear with the 'so called' part that as an organisation they are not saying IS's claim to be Islamic is in any way credible.

Best of both worlds really - not pretending it has nothing to do with it, while denying its credibility as legitimate expression of the faith. That seems like it should please people upset at the denial of the Islamic link and those who feel the link is overemphasised.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Not exactly in the interests of many (the government especially) to make it very public, especially with the Syrian angle of the story.
    Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

News 24 just spent two full minutes reporting the Islamist terrorism in Leytonstone.

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

As I said on the night of the Syrian vote, Cameron and Benn now own the Syrian issue and are very vulnerable on any ISIS moves.
    And?
    The public is going to blame someone for this and since the islamic terrorist connected it straight to Syria the blame will be orientated on that direction towards Cameron and Benn, the public was already afraid that the bombing was going to make them less safe and now there is proof.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    The public is going to blame someone for this and since the islamic terrorist connected it straight to Syria the blame will be orientated on that direction towards Cameron and Benn, the public was already afraid that the bombing was going to make them less safe and now there is proof.
    The only person to blame in these cases are the nutters involved.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    We should always blame the victim when a crime is carried out. The woman was wearing too short a skirt....
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    The public will blame the nutjob who committed the crime.

And you really should stop using that lefty-Islingtonite dog whistle you have.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    They do sometimes, although perhaps not in London these days.
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

From the Met Police:

Do the police still say things like "helping us with our enquiries?"

I remember sometime in the 70s a man was found in the boot of a car shot through the head and with his hands and legs bound. The initial police quote was that they couldn't rule out violence at this stage.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    Looking at the political repercussions, the needle points straight to Cameron and Benn.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    You're a moron. I think most rational people will blame the perpetrator.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    Only by idiots like you
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    I think it's very very unlikely that people will react like that.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Speedy said:

Right, clearly there was no threat until Wednesday. You are trolling, because I doubt anyone who posts here is so stupid to think otherwise.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

nothing on BBC London webpage at 22.11.

Give them chance, I mean it is only 3hrs since it happened....the BBC are severely undermanned these days because of budget cuts...The fact it is all over twitter and the police have briefed media doesn't mean anything.

They will get there in the end I am sure.

Now on BBC news, all about that minor work disagreement in California.
    It is under travel incidents in London, as of 22.17.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/london/incidents/light-rail

No doubt sandwiched between signal failure at Clapham and train service delayed due to shortage of staff

Edit- just seen the Customer incident comment upthread. Beyond parody.
    Or badgers on the line at Hampton Wick

The guard of the FGW train I was on which had stopped for a period of time just outside Pewsey announced over the tannoy his apologies for the delay in the service and attributed it to an "agricultural incident."

We understood afterwards it was cows on the line.
    :lol:
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    The Tory partisans yes, but the people in the middle who where already afraid of something like this as a result of the Syrian vote will also blame Cameron and Benn.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    You remember we were already bombing IS, right? The Caliphate, which sees no distinction between Iraq and Syria, was already under attack by us. Big and small attacks were no doubt planned and foiled in response already. The specific catalyst for lone wolf (if that is what is was) attacks may differ, but given the underlying situation obviously the threat from such a source would have been there regardless.

That said, people were always eventually going to blame Cameron and the government should something like this, big or small, happen. Support for action was already dropping, and the instant there was or is any human threat or cost here or to our forces, it would drop further over time. That's just what happens in a messy situation we are involved in. It might be the least worst option, but people will think the worse the longer it goes on and the greater the cost there is.
  • Options
    Maybe I am weird, but I didn't agree with Blair on Iraq, thought we were wrong to go to war there, thought he massively messed up the aftermath, but when 7/7 happened it never entered my head to blame him for the actions of those warped f##kers who blew up 100's of people.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    I think it's very very unlikely that people will react like that.
    Some will. The same sort who didn't want to face up against the Nazis in 1938/9 for fear of air raids.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Looking at the political repercussions, the needle points straight to Cameron and Benn.

I don't know, personally I'm more interested in what Corbyn thinks the police should do, he seems to think that if we see a Paris style attack here that the police should go softly on the mass murderers.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    The Tory partisans yes, but the people in the middle who where already afraid of something like this as a result of the Syrian vote will also blame Cameron and Benn.
    I hope Corbyn and Ken say this because we know that's what they think.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I don't think this was a parody, unless Shadow CoE has had his account hacked.

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/673268676859142146
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

John McDonnell MP ‏@johnmcdonnellMP 4h4 hours ago
    People talk about threats and intimidation in politics.i am retweeting just one example of the stuff I get and have received over the years
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    Only Tory partisans would blame the perpetrators of a crime? Right got you. Though since people like you consider everyone to the right of Stalin to be a Tory that doesn't narrow it down.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    You remember we were already bombing IS, right? The Caliphate, which sees no distinction between Iraq and Syria, was already under attack by us. Big and small attacks were no doubt planned and foiled in response already. The specific catalyst for lone wolf (if that is what is was) attacks may differ, but given the underlying situation obviously the threat from such a source would have been there regardless.
    Indeed that's why it was pointless for the government to say that bombing Syria would get rid of the terror threat.
    It was a false promise that the government could never keep, and I said that night that if there is a terror attack after those false promises, the political blame will fall on Cameron and Benn for failing.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    So those who were around at the time of the Blitz should have blamed Churchill, and not Hitler, for the bombs raining down on London, Coventry and Liverpool, among others?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?

That said, people were always eventually going to blame Cameron and the government should something like this, big or small, happen. Support for action was already dropping, and the instant there was or is any human threat or cost here or to our forces, it would drop further over time.
    This is Britain, remember. Our sinews stiffen. And only fools think like Speedy.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015
    MikeK said:

glw said:

Wonder what the point of 24hr news is if you don't report breaking news? So I will have to watch Sky, who tell me 1 serious injured and 3 others also injured.

The BBC are always slow with stories.
    Being played down on the Sky website. Sounds like an isolated nutter.
    I remember 7/7 when the BBC didn't believe news of bombs going off on tube trains. and tried hard for the first hour to say it was electrical problems on the line. The blind shits!
    Just like the Police and Underground staff then, who when asked what the reason was for the station evacuations were also blaming major power problems across the network. Certainly the ones I spoke to within an hour of the explosions.

By all means have a go at the wretched BBC but not for that.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    Indeed that's why it was pointless for the government to say that bombing Syria would get rid of the terror threat.
    It was a false promise that the government could never keep, and I said that night that if there is a terror attack after those false promises, the political blame will fall on Cameron and Benn for failing.
    No claim that bombing Syria would get rid of the terror threat.

Why don't you put away that disgusting dog-whistle, now?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    The needle points straight at people like you.

People who played the race card whenever immigration was mentioned, who used the race card to shut down any mention of multiculturalism, people who hate the West, people who wanted to rub the rights' noses in diversity just to score political points.

When the loathsome Griffin made you aware of what was happening in the NW you banged him up rather than take note. People like you who regard the FOURTEEN HUNDRED victims of Rotherham as collateral damage.

The needle points straight at people likeyou, no-one else.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

John McDonnell MP ‏@johnmcdonnellMP 4h4 hours ago
    People talk about threats and intimidation in politics.i am retweeting just one example of the stuff I get and have received over the years
    I'm sure he does receive such threats. He has publicly expressed support for Irish terrorists at the very least after all. But as far as I know he has broken no laws, hell you can be an MP and sympathise with Irish terrorists (beyond merely wishing there to be peace), so he should not be threatened. Condemned, yes. But that's it.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    Only Tory partisans would blame the perpetrators of a crime? Right got you. Though since people like you consider everyone to the right of Stalin to be a Tory that doesn't narrow it down.
    I do blame the perpetrator of the crime for the actual crime, politically the blame will now fall on Cameron and Benn for their failure.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?

That said, people were always eventually going to blame Cameron and the government should something like this, big or small, happen. Support for action was already dropping, and the instant there was or is any human threat or cost here or to our forces, it would drop further over time.
    This is Britain, remember. Our sinews stiffen. And only fools think like Speedy.
    Speedy doesn't think, he gets his dog whistle out and blows hard. Toot toot toot.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    We were bombing Isil in Iraq already. Logically we do both Syria and Iraq or neither. Either way these medieval nutters hold us and all we are in total contempt ( see H Benn for a better expression of this) and we were targets anyway. Anything else is appeasement of barbarity and naïve.
  • Options

Maybe I am weird, but I didn't agree with Blair on Iraq, thought we were wrong to go to war there, thought he massively messed up the aftermath, but when 7/7 happened it never entered my head to blame him for the actions of those warped f##kers who blew up 100's of people.

Nor me, but plenty of people do think that, if not straight away then afterwards. I live in deep blue Tory country and have been surprised to hear very little support for action in Syria, and a lot of people echoing comments about it making us less safe.

Much of it is framed around the idea we should either do nothing, or a lot lot more, but not something in between though.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    "Indeed that's why it was pointless for the government to say that bombing Syria would get rid of the terror threat"

To be fair I think Cameron said the direct opposite in the debate insofar he could never guarantee absolute safety here given the continual threat........but have it your way if you will.
  • Options
    SKY just showed a couple of segments of video.

I passed through Leytonstone on the way back home a couple of hours earlier, albeit without changing trains.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    I do blame the perpetrator of the crime for the actual crime, politically the blame will now fall on Cameron and Benn for their failure.
    Unlikely; even mass terror attacks strengthen and not weaken support for the government and its policies.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nor me, but plenty of people do think that, if not straight away then afterwards. I live in deep blue Tory country and have been surprised to hear very little support for action in Syria, and a lot of people echoing comments about it making us less safe.

Much of it is framed around the idea we should either do nothing, or a lot lot more, but not something in between though.
    What I don't understand with Syria is, why weren't these oil pipelines being bombed by the US and/or France?
  • Options
    It's not hard to figure out what sort of crap Speedy would have been saying in 1939.
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    It would be political suicide to take advantage of this and attempt to blame it on Cameron.
  • Options
    Seriously, there is of course huge political risk for Corbyn as he will be asked if he sympathises with the perpetrator and, being Corbyn, he won't give an unequivocal no.
  • Options
    Back to the other news of the night for a minute. If Benn, Eagles, Winterton etc are going to be sacked - they might as well resign now and embarrass their fool of a leader.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35018789

Were you near Leytonstone?

Did you see any incident?

Do you know the person who allegedly attacked the passenger?

Did you see how the passenger provoked his alleged assailant?

We would really like to put the correct spin on this story.

Contact the BBC on .........
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,410
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said:

Seriously, there is of course huge political risk for Corbyn as he will be asked if he sympathises with the perpetrator and, being Corbyn, he won't give an unequivocal no.

Lets see if he and his idiot spin doctor can manage to put out a statement that makes it sound like he is happy that the terrorist is alive as well as the victims.
  • Options
    glw said:

It's not hard to figure out what sort of crap Speedy would have been saying in 1939.

I've got flat feet?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?

People who played the race card whenever immigration was mentioned, who used the race card to shut down any mention of multiculturalism, people who hate the West, people who wanted to rub the rights' noses in diversity just to score political points.

When the loathsome Griffin made you aware of what was happening in the NW you banged him up rather than take note. People like you who regard the FOURTEEN HUNDRED victims of Rotherham as collateral damage.

If you remember accurately I was one of the few here that constantly supported those who tried to keep the Rotherham issue in the public, even if there were banned by the moderators on PB.
    And I have always stood with SeanT on PB denouncing the same nonsence about immigration or multiculturalism.
    I have much more credibility on talking about those issues as I'm not a UKIP party partisan (as some others are).
  • Options
    watford30 said:

MikeK said:

glw said:

Wonder what the point of 24hr news is if you don't report breaking news? So I will have to watch Sky, who tell me 1 serious injured and 3 others also injured.

The BBC are always slow with stories.
    Being played down on the Sky website. Sounds like an isolated nutter.
    I remember 7/7 when the BBC didn't believe news of bombs going off on tube trains. and tried hard for the first hour to say it was electrical problems on the line. The blind shits!
    Just like the Police and Underground staff then, who when asked what the reason was for the station evacuations were also blaming major power problems across the network. Certainly the ones I spoke to within an hour of the explosions.

By all means have a go at the wretched BBC but not for that.
    The electrical engineering team had seen a number of spikes in the supply and assumed a problem with the traction current. The fluctuations had actually been caused by electrical shorts as the bombs went off, and the trains stopped drawing power.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Has their twitter machine gone down? They are normally dead keen to pull any out crap off there.
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    Mortimer said:

Back to the other news of the night for a minute. If Benn, Eagles, Winterton etc are going to be sacked - they might as well resign now and embarrass their fool of a leader.

So, he will send Benn to the backbenchers to become a leader for the rebels? Smart move, JC *slow hand clap*

Next week will be another bad one for Labour....
  • Options
    Looking at Hansard, gods, a lot of people whinged about that terrorist sympathiser remark, didn't they? I didn't think Cameron should have said it either, and unlike others i don't think it will be effective, I think it will dilute the potency of the claim against those who actually deserve the label, but once 3-4 have already taken him to task for it, just move on people. Other speakers got the chance to upbraid him for it, you won't get any better press for adding to it.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?

If you remember accurately I was one of the few here that constantly supported those who tried to keep the Rotherham issue in the public, even if there were banned by the moderators on PB.
    And I have always stood with SeanT on PB denouncing the same nonsence about immigration or multiculturalism.
    I have much more credibility on talking about those issues as I'm not a UKIP party partisan (as some others are).
    Nor am I, I have roundly criticized Farage and am tired of Ukip, we have a referendum and I hope Farage is nowhere near the campaign.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

What I don't understand with Syria is, why weren't these oil pipelines being bombed by the US and/or France?
    The White House would not allow the oil installations to be bombed because they didn't want to risk environmental damage. Before they bombed the oil trucks they dropped leaflets telling the drivers to get away.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The operation to take out oil infrastructure ramped up in October, our attacks are a small part of that overall operation. Before that there was a reluctance to attack tankers and so on because of the risk of civilian casualties.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    Unlikely; even mass terror attacks strengthen and not weaken support for the government and its policies.
    Well Hollande is on course for a massive defeat tomorrow in the local french elections, the constant terror attacks haven't done miracles for him. It didn't do Blair much either.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

tlg86 said:

The White House would not allow the oil installations to be bombed because they didn't want to risk environmental damage. Before they bombed the oil trucks they dropped leaflets telling the drivers to get away.
    So does that mean the British are taking unilateral action?
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Has their twitter machine gone down? They are normally dead keen to pull any out crap off there.
    BBC news ( 2 minutes ago)
    A stabbing at a Tube station in east London is being treated as a "terrorist incident", the Met Police has said.

Better late than never......
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Come on, he's going to lose to the National Front.
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    Well Hollande is on course for a massive defeat tomorrow in the local french elections, the constant terror attacks haven't done miracles for him.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Environmental damage. You have to be joking?

• Options
    Maybe it is just me, but faced with a nutter with a knife going around randomly stabbing people, the last thing I would do is stand around, get my mobile phone out and film it.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    Well Hollande is on course for a massive defeat tomorrow in the local french elections, the constant terror attacks haven't done miracles for him. It didn't do Blair much either.
    Didn't Blair win the 2005 election?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited December 2015
    Fancy letting cops use tasers... Benn and Cameron have questions to answer.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Tim_B said:

tlg86 said:

So does that mean the British are taking unilateral action?
    I believe the US did the truck bombing and leafleting.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,973
    Tim_B said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

A serious worry (apparently) was the collateral damage effects of a 500lb bomb going off inside an oil tanker. Worst case is the contents turn to a fine mist then detonate, taking out anything for about half a mile in all directions. Think FAE to the max.

So they've been testing out at one of the ranges in the US. Only found that out today.....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Looking at Hansard, gods, a lot of people whinged about that terrorist sympathiser remark, didn't they? I didn't think Cameron should have said it either, and unlike others i don't think it will be effective, I think it will dilute the potency of the claim against those who actually deserve the label, but once 3-4 have already taken him to task for it, just move on people. Other speakers got the chance to upbraid him for it, you won't get any better press for adding to it.

So Corbyn doesn't deserve the label? McDonell? If not them then who?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    Well Hollande is on course for a massive defeat tomorrow in the local french elections, the constant terror attacks haven't done miracles for him.
    He's going to lose to everyone actually, and that's the point, terror attacks don't provide a boost to the government these days.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Tim_B said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Environmental damage. You have to be joking?
    Deadly serious. It's no way to fight a war.

• Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    The 7/7 attacks where after the election, not before.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes, despite Hollande* being about 1000 times as forthright about the need to wage war on IS as the average Labour politician is, there's a big chunk of French opinion who thinks he's not being tough enough.

* My own opinion of Hollande has gone up a lot. He gets it, and there's no fannying around.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Twitter claiming there is at least one dead, beheaded guy.

Cav Empt.

My nine year old daughter lives in this city.

Hm.

The tame lefty at work likes to claim that The West is the most evil, violent empire ever etc.

I asked her what she thought the Romans would have done after 7/7. Or the Carthage... Everyone started joining in - apparently there were some quite interesting* characters in Korean history...

*interesting in the Tom Knox novel character sense
    I'm sooooo close to telling my lefty friends QUITE HOW MUCH I DESPISE EVERY STUPID FUCKING THING THEY BELIEVE.

There's a couple I am close to lamping.

They just don't understand. Their whole worldview is predicated on West = Rich = Bad, and Brown = Oppressed = Good. So Islamism just does not compute. They do not even begin to understand it. Every comment they make is laughably uninformed.

An irony being that the lifestyle of the metropolitan leftist is dependent upon the exploitation of people from poorer countries.

Either via sweatshop labour for goods - see the feminist and Corbyn T-shirts as examples - or via importing migrant serfs for services - the "locals aren't willing to work hard enough" mentality.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    But he went to war in Iraq in 2003.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited December 2015
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

No point in moaning over spilt milk.

Stop paying the licence fee and take whatever (non-violent) action that may hasten its destruction.

Oh, and stop watching the British Brainwashing Corporation altogether...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    It's not just Hollande, Tim Farron's proving me wrong as well. You see you can be on the left and want to bury IS.
  • Options

kle4 said:

So Corbyn doesn't deserve the label? McDonell? If not them then who?
    They probably do. That's why the perception Cameron was talking about anyone who voted against the motion (whether that was his intention or not) risks diluting that point, because most are not as extreme as those two. Perhaps they will rub off on the others, or the less problematic nature of the others will be seen as what Corbyn and McDonnell are like too, regardless of past statements.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    The public is going to blame someone for this and since the islamic terrorist connected it s... was already afraid that the bombing was going to make them less safe and now there is proof.
    The To...ou consider everyone to the right of Stalin to be a Tory that doesn't narrow it down.
    He's going to lose to everyone actually, and that's the point, terror attacks don't provide a boost to the government these days.
    So in the UK instead they'll boost the party who can't decide what they should be doing, are split down the middle and with a leadership who have a history of not standing square behind Britain? Do me a favour.

• Options
    edited December 2015

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?

But he went to war in Iraq in 2003.

Well that wasn't very successful for his public perception, to say the least.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited December 2015

Fancy letting cops use tasers... Benn and Cameron have questions to answer.

Are you bonkers?

Ah ... or sarcastic?
  • Options
    Farron's stance was pretty surprising, I must say. Just because a decision was not easy does not mean it was the right one, but it is still impressive that in such a state as the LDs are in he did not take the easier option.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farron's stance was pretty surprising, I must say. Just because a decision was not easy does not mean it was the right one, but it is still impressive that in such a state as the LDs are in he did not take the easier option.

Norman Lamb's decision to oppose was equally surprising.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    glw said:

AndyJS said:
    It's not just Hollande, Tim Farron's proving me wrong as well. You see you can be on the left and want to bury IS.
    Farron doesn't say exactly what is evil. Islam, Syria, not mentioned.
  • Options
    If anyone is interested Ben Kingsleys documentary on Islam is just staring on PBS America in three back to back parts.
    Alternatively you may have had enough of it already.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    On a slightly lighter note...the guy who first reported the horrific incident, started his message, "So as I was going to Leytonstone station was dressed to go to Christmas dinner,,,"

Making sure he gets the important details to start...that he remembered to get dressed for his Xmas do. Obviously last time he went out he forgot.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    I hate to sound like a member of the liberal metropolitan elite, but I don't think we can be sure this one is an Islamic attack a la Paris, Tunisia etc... I reckon it's a mentally ill nutter like the Edmonton beheader
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    isam said:

I hate to sound like a member of the liberal metropolitan elite, but I don't think we can be sure this one is an Islamic attack a la Paris, Tunisia etc... I reckon it's a mentally ill nutter like the Edmonton beheader

I think that is most likely...inspired by, not directed by. ISIS MO isn't "one and done" attacks, it is mass murder.
  • Options
    isam said:

It seems less...well planned, to be sure
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

If anyone is interested Ben Kingsleys documentary on Islam is just staring on PBS America in three back to back parts.
    Alternatively you may have had enough of it already.

Not on either my PBS stations it isn't.

I get to choose between Rosemary and Thyme, or Pasquale Esposito celebrates Enrico Caruso.

As I'm watching the SEC Championship I don't care.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    McDonnell has had a good evening on Twitter. Now the media have seen his Tweet, he tries to clear things up.

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/673276732212948992
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    dr_spyn said:

McDonnell has had a good evening on Twitter. Now the media have seen his Tweet, he tries to clear things up.

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/673276732212948992

Twitter really isn't the medium for that stuff. Why not write a blog entry and then link to it via twitter, where you can make the context 100% clear.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Speedy said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
    "Indeed that's why it was pointless for the government to say that bombing Syria would get rid of the terror threat"

To be fair I think Cameron said the direct opposite in the debate insofar he could never guarantee absolute safety here given the continual threat........but have it your way if you will.
    Correct and of course he did not say that. He said we were already under maximum threat. We were not bombing ISIS in Syria when Trooper Rigby was murdered. They do not need excuses.
    I would even argue the remarks of Corbyn and stop the war and their vitriol are an incitement to those nutters who need little encouragement to start with.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    isam said:

It's obviously not a mass attack by a jihadist group, Isam. It seems to be a lone man unless his confederates are still hiding in the tube tunnels or outside in a nearby car park. Nutter? Perhaps, but will prove to be connected to Islam and Syria; of that I have no doubt.

In passing @isam, are you sure that didn't leave an "L" out of your name?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    MikeK said:

glw said:

AndyJS said:
    Farron is a gurning, gabbling, God-botherer who will lead the remnant of LDs precisely nowhere...
  • Options
    Well good night all. Off to bed with a good book, and will rise with Marr tomorrow morning.
  • Options

Correct and of course he did not say that. He said we were already under maximum threat. We were not bombing ISIS in Syria when Trooper Rigby was murdered. They do not need excuses.
    I would even argue the remarks of Corbyn and stop the war and their vitriol are an incitement to those nutters who need little encouragement to start with.

Exactly.

300 people arrested on terrorism offences up to March 2015, and it is apparently going up.
    Brits killed by IS in Syria.
    Brits killed in Sousse.
    IS claim that the original target for the Sharm el-Sheikh attack was a British airliner.
    A brit killed in Paris.
    7 attacks in the UK disrupted this year including a Paris style attack.

The threat did not begin after the Syria vote, the Syria vote was a consequence of a large and growing existing threat.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    MikeK said:

isam said:

It's obviously not a mass attack by a jihadist group, Isam. It seems to be a lone man unless his confederates are still hiding in the tube tunnels or outside in a nearby car park. Nutter? Perhaps, but will prove to be connected to Islam and Syria; of that I have no doubt.

In passing @isam, are you sure that didn't leave an "L" out of your name?
    Haha there is an L in my name!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

MikeK said:

glw said:

AndyJS said:
    Farron is a gurning, gabbling, God-botherer who will lead the remnant of LDs precisely nowhere...
    Succinctly put
This discussion has been closed.