Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Only one PB Oldham competition entrant over-stated Labour i

1235»

Comments

• Options

53?

"Hypocrite" SNP MP's Tax Dodge Exposed

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlanRoden/status/673277306018922496/photo/1
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sky News paper reviewer:

"Corbyn is nowhere near as left-wing as Michael Foot".
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    https://twitter.com/Mike_Blackley/status/673277879430574080?lang=en

SNP creative accounting for beginners 101 Fail.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

53?1

Independents For Scottish Nationalism.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Christ, Nicola really didn't vet some of these MPs enough.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

glw said:

AndyJS said:
    It's not just Hollande, Tim Farron's proving me wrong as well. You see you can be on the left and want to bury IS.
    Farron doesn't say exactly what is evil. Islam, Syria, not mentioned.
    Did this knife wielding lunatic mention islam?
    The pictures on SKY do not show a machete or anything like it as previously stated, and the hand holding what looks like a kitchen knife looks white to me.
    The man was tasered because he was not wearing a suicide vest or carying a rifle or a grenade. And pour police do not carry guns
    This does not look like an act of coherent planned and coordinated terrorism but more the act of a maniac.
    I seem to remember an MP being nearly killed by some one wielding a sword a few years ago.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

53?1

The unwhipped-SNP-independents are already the second-biggest Scottish party in the Commons.
  • Options

53?

Bugger, that means me doing the morning thread on why this is good news for the SNP and Scottish Independence doesn't it?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited December 2015
    The talking-head on the Sky couch made a pass at me on a dating site recently.

She made a sharp retreat when I told her I knew who she is, and didn't fancy becoming fodder for one of her lads' mags articles...

Pleading poverty, she was looking for a wealthy guy. It's all relative, I suppose...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    dr_spyn said:

McDonnell has had a good evening on Twitter. Now the media have seen his Tweet, he tries to clear things up.

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/673276732212948992

Corbyn and McDonnell could be described as bulls taking their own china shop with them
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

dr_spyn said:

53?1

The unwhipped-SNP-independents are already the second-biggest Scottish party in the Commons.
    I really did LOL at that. We live in amusing times, at least when it comes to the Commons.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Christ, Nicola really didn't vet some of these MPs enough.

@Aiden_Kerr1

Coatbridge SNP exec wrote to SNP HQ demanding Phil Boswell to be stripped of candidacy in early 2015 as they did not want him.

Candidate who won selection did not pass vetting. Boswell came poor second. Branch exec demanded a new election.

HQ refused a re-run.

Branch now split between pro-Boswell members (who got constituency office jobs) and the rest (who won the MSP selection battle).
  • Options
    Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill MP Phil Boswell has demanded the Treasury explains how it plans to tackle tax avoidance schemes.

“Tax avoidance costs the economy nearly four times as much as benefit fraud, yet this government blames the most vulnerable in society for the economic problems caused by a lack of regulation and enforcement in the financial industry.”

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/news/local-headlines/tax-avoidance-needs-tackled-1-3849248#ixzz3tUfu9jO4
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Cumbernauld, Kilsyth, Kirkintilloch East is one of the very safest SNP seats.
  • Options
    Or lol It is coatbridge.
  • Options

53?

Bugger, that means me doing the morning thread on why this is good news for the SNP and Scottish Independence doesn't it?
    You could include how the 'bonus' of '$20 oil is even better news......
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,410
    edited December 2015
    Oh FFS...somebody actually got there phone out and videoed the guy who was attacked slumped on the ground. Put your f##king phone away and f##king try and help them. And shame on you Daily Mail for posting it.

Imagine if one of the guys loved ones doesn't know yet and they click on the Daily Mail article to find what is a very disturbing picture.
  • Options

Oh FFS...somebody actually got there phone out and videoed the guy who was attacked slumped on the ground. Put your f##king phone away and f##king try and help them. And shame on you Daily Mail for posting it.

Imagine if one of the guys loved ones doesn't know yet and they click on the Daily Mail article to find what is a very disturbing picture.

I'm glad we don't have American gun laws here.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn's allies accuse MPs of 'spreading lies' about Labour leader's health

and this bit

Labour’s Chief Whip Rosie Winterton is being singled out for fierce criticism over her influential role ensuring a free vote on bombing. She is also being targeted because she has the key role of co‑ordinating Labour’s response to the boundary review. One Corbyn‑supporting Labour shadow minister said: “Every constituency is going to be redrawn. This is a great opportunity to protect some people and get rid of others.”

http://ind.pn/1NAySNl
  • Options

I don't own a gun, though I am a good shot (I got my marksman's badge in the CCF at school) and practice at the range regularly. But the more of these pointless slaughters we have, it has crossed my mind more than once to buy one and get a concealed carry permit.
  • Options
    Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

These are the SCad who could be out a job soon.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Leytonstone tube is famous for its Hitchcock mosaics:

http://www.thejoyofshards.co.uk/london/hitch/

That's the 10'o'clock news over and nothing about Leytonstone.
    Not exactly in the interests of many (the government especially) to make it very public, especially with the Syrian angle of the story.
    Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

News 24 just spent two full minutes reporting the Islamist terrorism in Leytonstone.

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.
    No mention of "This is for Syria".

What a disgraceful and disgusting organisation the BBC have become.

As I said on the night of the Syrian vote, Cameron and Benn now own the Syrian issue and are very vulnerable on any ISIS moves.
    And?
    The public is going to blame someone for this and since the islamic terrorist connected it straight to Syria the blame will be orientated on that direction towards Cameron and Benn, the public was already afraid that the bombing was going to make them less safe and now there is proof.
    I think it's very very unlikely that people will react like that.
    Some will. The same sort who didn't want to face up against the Nazis in 1938/9 for fear of air raids.
    Now we are comparing a bunch of nutters to the Third Reich ! Brilliiant.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farron's stance was pretty surprising, I must say. Just because a decision was not easy does not mean it was the right one, but it is still impressive that in such a state as the LDs are in he did not take the easier option.

Not at all. They are the Tory "B" team.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

With a purge that large, he's going to have to make appointments from outside the Labour Party, Gerry Adams as Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

With a purge that large, he's going to have to make appointments from outside the Labour Party, Gerry Adams as Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary?
    He won't purge all of them, maybe one to four. Pour encourage les autres

Watson won't be going anywhere, he has probably more power than Corbyn tbh.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Not exactly in the interests of many (the government especially) to make it very public, especially with the Syrian angle of the story.
    Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

News 24 just spent two full minutes reporting the Islamist terrorism in Leytonstone.

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

As I said on the night of the Syrian vote, Cameron and Benn now own the Syrian issue and are very vulnerable on any ISIS moves.
    And?
    The public is going to blame someone for this and since the islamic terrorist connected it straight to Syria the blame will be orientated on that direction towards Cameron and Benn, the public was already afraid that the bombing was going to make them less safe and now there is proof.
    Some will. The same sort who didn't want to face up against the Nazis in 1938/9 for fear of air raids.
    So we could face up to the mighty Third Reich, but are too afraid to face up to "a bunch of nutters"? Is that what you're saying?

We really have become a pathetic country.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I thought the "Third Reich" were a bunch of nutters...
    surbiton said:

Wanderer said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Why not?
    This is why:
    Dair said:

No mention of terrorism,
    No mention of Islam.

And?
  • Options
    At a guess I'd go for Coaker being amongst the shufflees.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325
    Do we need to factor in that Corbyn may well deliberately allow the boundary review through even though it will damage the Labour Party as it will mean there will have to be a reselection contest in almost every seat (only a tiny number of seats will be unchanged and these will mainly be Con seats anyway)

ie In normal circumstances we could have expected Lab to team up with LD to defeat the Statutory Instrument in the Lords.

However, Corbyn may now prefer to let it through - ie his main concern is that his supporters completely take over the Parliamentary Labour Party, even if it costs Labour a few seats.

I know Cameron might get it through the Lords anyway if he appoints enough Peers by Oct 2018.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

Difficult to sack Watson as he has his own mandate from the Selectorate......
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MikeL said:

Do we need to factor in that Corbyn may well deliberately allow the boundary review through even though it will damage the Labour Party as it will mean there will have to be a reselection contest in almost every seat (only a tiny number of seats will be unchanged and these will mainly be Con seats anyway)

ie In normal circumstances we could have expected Lab to team up with LD to defeat the Statutory Instrument in the Lords.

However, Corbyn may now prefer to let it through - ie his main concern is that his supporters completely take over the Parliamentary Labour Party, even if it costs Labour a few seats.

I know Cameron might get it through the Lords anyway if he appoints enough Peers by Oct 2018.

"I know Cameron might get it through the Lords anyway if he appoints enough Peers by Oct 2018. "

It is called gerrymandering type-2.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

Yes this is why he is crossed through. He has an almighty position of power.
  • Options
    "Jeremy Corbyn will deepen his bitter rift with Labour MPs by attending a fundraising dinner for Stop the War, the campaign group that has blamed the Paris terror attacks on French military action in the Middle East."

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1641943.ece
  • Options

I wonder if Obama will draw that comparison -

- nutters in California - 14 dead, multiple injuries + 2 dead nutters
    - nutter in London - one seriously (but not life threatening) injured, two minor injuries + 1 nutter in custody

I thought the hostile & robust response of the crowd encouragingly British...."You're just a f*cking muppet mate'
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

Ah of course! - Sorry, misunderstood your post - I thought you meant Watson & Benn out, not unsackable.....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

Ah of course! - Sorry, misunderstood your post - I thought you meant Watson & Benn out, not unsackable.....
    Why is Benn crossed out ? He has no mandate. He spoke against bombing Syria even after Paris.
  • Options
    Corbyn should sack Maria Eagle and appoint Michael Portillo instead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

His opinion on Trident is very sound.
  • Options
    OWR Postal Votes:

"One Conservative councillor oversaw the counting of one box of postal votes and found 29 were for Labour, six for Ukip, three for the Tories and one for the Liberal Democrats. "

OK, I understand. That is proof. There were no votes for the Greens !!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/parliamentary-constituencies/oldham-west-and-royton/12031040/oldham-west-royton-by-election-results.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

Why is Benn crossed out ? He has no mandate. He spoke against bombing Syria even after Paris.
    Wouldn't be very 'new politics' would it?

Unless this 'new politics' is a load of horsefeathers.......
  • Options
    The NYT draws the comparison between the reactions to Dunblane and American massacres....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/07/nyregion/in-scotland-unlike-america-mass-shooting-led-to-stricter-gun-laws.html
  • Options
    Focus group "poll":

As Cameron marks 10 years as Tory leader, our poll reveals that he is seen as decisive and as having the courage to see his decisions through. His communication skills are admired and his judgment is trusted on crucial policy areas such as the economy, national security and the EU. Of the UK party leaders, Corbyn, almost 100 days into his leadership, is the one most closely associated with having integrity. He is also thought most likely to put the interests of working people first and is ahead (just) on protecting public services. Less positively, however, he is seen to be less able to take the necessary tough decisions and, overall, is seen as a less effective leader than Cameron (and, indeed, Ed Miliband when we conducted this survey in 2012).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/06/britainthinks-political-leaders-shadow-winston-churchill
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

He should be sacked immediately. He spoke against the wishes of the Party. If anyone talks about that he represents his constituents, then did he consult them and, in any event, he can resign and stand as an independent to "prove" how much his constituents are in agreement with him.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325

Focus group "poll":

As Cameron marks 10 years as Tory leader, our poll reveals that he is seen as decisive and as having the courage to see his decisions through. His communication skills are admired and his judgment is trusted on crucial policy areas such as the economy, national security and the EU. Of the UK party leaders, Corbyn, almost 100 days into his leadership, is the one most closely associated with having integrity. He is also thought most likely to put the interests of working people first and is ahead (just) on protecting public services. Less positively, however, he is seen to be less able to take the necessary tough decisions and, overall, is seen as a less effective leader than Cameron (and, indeed, Ed Miliband when we conducted this survey in 2012).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/06/britainthinks-political-leaders-shadow-winston-churchill

And that confirms that if Cameron stays for GE 2020 it's a slam dunk.

If he doesn't, who knows.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

He should be sacked immediately. He spoke against the wishes of the Party.
    It was a 'Free Vote'.

If it had been a 3-line whip different story - but Corbyn caved in and agreed to a Free Vote.

Looks like the 'new politics' is HorseFeathers......
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MikeL said:

Focus group "poll":

And that confirms that if Cameron stays for GE 2020 it's a slam dunk.

If he doesn't, who knows.
    The possible Tory successors do not come out of that particularly well:

The Tory contenders were better known but less popular. There was little warmth towards May, who was seen as “cut-throat” and “annoying”, while Osborne was “sly” and “unpopular” (with none of his colleagues’ belief in his strategic brilliance acknowledged by voters). Johnson scores well on likeability, but, ironically, this author of a book about Churchill’s greatness is too easily dismissed as a joker to come close to matching his idol.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

He should be sacked immediately. He spoke against the wishes of the Party. If anyone talks about that he represents his constituents, then did he consult them and, in any event, he can resign and stand as an independent to "prove" how much his constituents are in agreement with him.
    It was a free vote though wasn't it? How could he go against the wishes of the Party on a free vote?
  • Options

Jahadi Jez has been back at his favourite weekend retreat...

It does not resolve all the world's problems by sending the RAF and the bombers in,' said Corbyn

Who claimed that sending in the RAF would 'resolve all the world's problems'?

No one has even claimed it would resolve Syria's problems.....
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    Corbyn does have high quality people waiting in the wings. Emily thornberry, Clive Lewis and graham allen. Be still my beating heart.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

It was a 'Free Vote'.

If it had been a 3-line whip different story - but Corbyn caved in and agreed to a Free Vote.

Interesting you should use the term "horse feathers" which is of course a euphinisim for bull.

Theodor Roosevelt use to use the term "bull feathers" instead for bullshit as his wife did not like him swearing. If you are ever in Washington DC there is a large bar and restaurant on the hill called " Bull feathers" named after that saying and is well worth a visit and a very good menu.

http://bullfeathersdc.net/
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Angela eagle
    Tom Watson
    Gloria de Peiro
    Michael dugher
    Maria eagle
    Lucy Powell
    Hilary benn
    Heid Alexander
    Luciana Berger
    Chris Bryant
    Vernon coaker

It was a 'Free Vote'.

Interesting you should use the term "horse feathers" which is of course a euphinisim for bull.

Theodor Roosevelt use to use the term "bull feathers" instead for bullshit as his wife did not like him swearing. If you are ever in Washington DC there is a large bar and restaurant on the hill called " Bull feathers" named after that saying and is well worth a visit and a very good menu.

http://bullfeathersdc.net/
    It's also the name of a 1932 Marx Brothers film - where they discuss SNP policy:

I don't care what they have to say
    It makes no difference anyway;
    Whatever it is, I'm against it!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    A piece of Americana for you. The college football season is coming to a climax. Today was the conference championship day.

After winning last week in their final regular season game, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney promised the team a pizza party if they won the ACC Conference game, in a rather rash statement in an on-field interview with a sideline reporter.

ESPN has just published the details -

It is Sunday at Memorial Stadium aka Death Valley.

They are expecting to feed 20,000 fans - if it's not at least double that I'll be amazed

They have just pre-ordered 2,500 pizzas. That means 340 feet of stacked pizza boxes (Statue of Liberty is 305 feet)

The team will need to do 7.6 million push ups to burn off the calories

There will be 156 Gatorade coolers of sauce. (That one just blows my mind. Those coolers are huge)

It's less than an hour up the road, so the fans might include me. Depends on the weather.

Clemson are 13-0. They will learn who they are playing at noon tomorrow when the committee announces their final rankings. They are the only unbeaten team and the only team to have defeated three top ten teams.

I'm hoping for a Clemson - Alabama final, except I like both teams.
This discussion has been closed.