Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Only one PB Oldham competition entrant over-stated Labour i

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

justin124 said:

isam said:
    'I posted a link earlier, and am surprised no one has commented, to an interview last month, after the Paris atrocities, where Hilary Benn all but rules out air strikes on Syria... I don't get why more isn't made of this or at least an answer found as to why he changed his mind?'

I think the key change for Benn will have been the UN resolution.

How do the left generally rationalise outsourcing our foreign policy to the approval of Russia, China...and France?

That's effectively what the insistence on a security council resolution means (I've assumed they already believe the US has a decisive say).

This is a genuine question, btw: I just can't understand the rationale.
    Really. Are you saying that the UN has no part to play and that when it does sanction action then it is meaningless?

No, I'm not. Clearly the "international community" however badly represented by the UN is important & a broad coalition/international support for action is very helpful.

But to say that the UK *will not* act without a UN resolution is to hand control to a third party.
  • Options
    Malcolm G

This constituent of the Tory MP should make a complaint to Parliamentary standards. It looks pretty open and shut.

PB Posters should note, If this Lucy person was an SNP MP then she already would be oot on her ear such is the discipline enforced by Ms Sturgeon.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Malcolm G

This constituent of the Tory MP should make a complaint to Parliamentary standards. It looks pretty open and shut.

PB Posters should note, If this Lucy person was an SNP MP then she already would be oot on her ear such is the discipline enforced by Ms Sturgeon.

The SNP seems more forgiving of social media "mishaps" than you suggest:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3316442/SNP-forced-apologise-race-hate-row.html
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

OT. On the previous thread Foxinsox was claiming that most of the massacres of the Assyrians and other minorities between 1915 and 1923 was carried out by the Kurds. This is absolutely not true. Whilst the Turkish Government did encourage the militias of all the minorities to fight each other and massacres did occur, the vast majority of massacres and the genocide of the minorities including Kurds, Armenians and Assyrians was carried out by the regular Turkish army.

Indeed one of the greatest stories never told about the end of WW1 was the small detachment of volunteers from Dunsterforce who travelled north from Persia into Turkey to rescue the Assyrian population who were fleeing the regular Turkish army who were advancing around Lake Van and massacring the Assyrians. These few men armed with Lewis guns guarded the passes south and formed a rearguard against a division of Turkish troops allowing tens of thousands of Assyrians to escape to safety.

Kurds openly aknowledge their role in the Armenian Genocide:

https://www.beaconreader.com/frederike-geerdink/kurdish-apologies-for-armenian-genocide

There was some involvement in the Assyrian and Pontic Greek massacres too.

The Kurds are at least ahead of the Turks in admitting that it was a Genocide and apologising for their role.

The Ottoman empire was multicultural and there was not a distinction between Turkish or Kurdish troops under the control of the Ottomans, but the Kurdish irregular calalry was also involved in the 1895 Hamidian massacres that killed 250 000 Armenians and Assyrians.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2015

17th out of 310 - happy with that.
    148th , but I spy TSE at 310 ;-)

My £1 each way on Leicester City winning the league is looking good at 3000/1! I have Mahrez and Vardy ew for top prem goal scorer at good odds from August too. This is not a lucky run, this is a very good Leicester side under a great manager. Ranieri is now known as the Thinkerman rather than Tinkerman.

Chelsea up next at the King Power...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    EPG said:

PB comments areas of expertise: why Jeremy Corbyn is going to lose the next election
    PB comments areas of little expertise: forecasting election results

My ARSE begs to differ.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266

MG Effin pathetic..give up..

Fat chance of that.
    He is really upset at the buffers the SNP have run into. Plus the fraud and corruption.
    Two of the biggest dummies alive (sic) , what absolute plonkers. Fantasist nutjobs both.
  • Options
    Congrats to Michael Paterson!

Um, I predicted a very narrow Kipper victory...
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MG Which just proves my point .. thank you.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    just as well I didn't bet any actual money.......
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk - 148th , but I spy TSE at 310 ;-)

It’s because he’s young, they always fall for the hype….

Oops manners - Congratulations Michael Paterson!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Congrats to Michael Paterson!

Um, I predicted a very narrow Kipper victory...

Had you noted the two part BBC4 series tomorrow evening at 9:00pm on "The Golden Age Of Steam" ?

I'm sure it's about the railways but it might concern the heady reaction of Nigel Farage to postal voting in Oldham West.

• Options

Surbiton..who gives a shit what some journo writes.. the only thing that matters is a massive 27% approx drop in the majority...if I were a Labour analyst..strategist..I would be crapping myself..by election or not...

You're still repeating the fact that the majority dropped in Oldham and ignoring the fact that their percentage share rose.
    I alter my previous comments, I guess you are innumerate.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Surbiton..who gives a shit what some journo writes.. the only thing that matters is a massive 27% approx drop in the majority...if I were a Labour analyst..strategist..I would be crapping myself..by election or not...

You're still repeating the fact that the majority dropped in Oldham and ignoring the fact that their percentage share rose.
    It was a damn good result for labour, it's a bit churlish to claim otherwise.
  • Options
    notme said:

It was a damn good result for labour, it's a bit churlish to claim otherwise.
    I didn't get round to entering the competition but would probably have gone for a sub 1000 majority for LAB. I was quite surprised on waking up Friday how well they had done.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited December 2015
    Jeremy Corbyn said that the murder of Alan Henning at the hands of Jihadi John is "the price we pay for war and jingoism" just a day after aid worker's death, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

The Labour leader said that Mr Henning’s execution by Isil terrorists was “the price of intervention” and “the price of war”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12034423/Jeremy-Corbyn-Execution-of-Brit-by-Jihadi-John-was-the-price-we-pay-for-war.html
  • Options
    FFS someone get a taxi for Mourinho.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited December 2015
    By-election alert:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3346220/Tory-MP-voted-bomb-Syria-Facebook-death-threat-row-adding-unless-die-constituent-s-email.html

Putting a constituent in danger of false arrest just to gain self publicity, by posting fraudulent evidence of death threats to generate sympathy.

Tory majority in Telford just 1.8%, both parties under 40% with a juicy 18% for UKIP, if it happens it will give us a much better clue of the overall national picture, it's one of the few seats Labour lost in the GE to the Tories.
  • Options

I don't think Jose will want to see his mobile ringing with the name Roman...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,975

Jeremy Corbyn said that the murder of Alan Henning at the hands of Jihadi John is "the price we pay for war and jingoism" just a day after aid worker's death, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

The Labour leader said that Mr Henning’s execution by Isil terrorists was “the price of intervention” and “the price of war”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12034423/Jeremy-Corbyn-Execution-of-Brit-by-Jihadi-John-was-the-price-we-pay-for-war.html

One wonders if he would say that about say... the Loughgall ambush. Which by killing off a chunk of the anti-any-kind-of-peace PIRA bought peace that bit closer.
  • Options
    The attackers have been called terrorists and their lives have been thrown bare, but an explicit motive remains elusive..

Whatever drove the couple to slaughter 14 people and injure 21 in San Bernardino, California, last week has continued to cast fear and suspicion across the US, reshape the presidential race and activate a global scramble by intelligence agencies.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/05/america-baffled-san-bernardino-shootings-syed-farook-tashfeen-malik

SeanT will self combust if he read this article...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Speedy said:

By-election alert:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3346220/Tory-MP-voted-bomb-Syria-Facebook-death-threat-row-adding-unless-die-constituent-s-email.html

Putting a constituent in danger of false arrest just to gain self publicity, by posting fraudulent evidence of death threats to generate sympathy.

Tory majority in Telford just 1.8%, both parties under 40% with a juicy 18% for UKIP, if it happens it will give us a much better clue of the overall national picture, it's one of the few seats Labour lost in the GE to the Tories.

Ah Telford... that would be a seat I'd expect UKIP to do well in.. I backed them at 25/1 in the GE, but they didn't really make a great showing
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

By-election alert:

Putting a constituent in danger of false arrest just to gain self publicity, by posting fraudulent evidence of death threats to generate sympathy

That isn't what the Mail article says, but don't let mere facts get in the way.

The main story here is not what the MP wrote, but the abusive and intimidating comments that were sent to her (and to other MPs, of course).

Chance of a by-election: Zero. Chance of this having the faintest impact in Telford at the next GE: Zero.
  • Options

The attackers have been called terrorists and their lives have been thrown bare, but an explicit motive remains elusive..

Whatever drove the couple to slaughter 14 people and injure 21 in San Bernardino, California, last week has continued to cast fear and suspicion across the US, reshape the presidential race and activate a global scramble by intelligence agencies.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/05/america-baffled-san-bernardino-shootings-syed-farook-tashfeen-malik

A wise old politician, who shall remain nameless, did predict that one of the conductors of the violence and unrest that mass immigration of different cultures would bring, was the establishment pretending nothing was happening
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Speedy said:

By-election alert:

Putting a constituent in danger of false arrest just to gain self publicity, by posting fraudulent evidence of death threats to generate sympathy

The main story here is not what the MP wrote, but the abusive and intimidating comments that were sent to her (and to other MPs, of course).

Chance of a by-election: Zero. Chance of this having the faintest impact in Telford at the next GE: Zero.
    The main story here is that the MP falsified an email sent to her by a constituent, in order to publish it as a death threat. That said innocent civilian would have been in danger of getting arrested for a crime that they never committed.
    Putting innocent people in harm's way is a big no-no for an MP.

Are you afraid of a by-election in Telford ?
  • Options
    284th :lol::lol:
  • Options

I don't think Jose will want to see his mobile ringing with the name Roman...
    He used to be a handsome, dapper man, now he looks like Coorbyn.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    More splendid news from the middle east (sarcasm there), Turkey has invaded Iraq to fight the Kurds and Iraq is threatening to bomb the invading turkish army if it doesn't withdraw:

Haidar Sumeri ‏@IraqiSecurity 23m23 minutes ago
    Iraqi MPs calling for #Turkey's troops to be given 24hrs to leave northern #Iraq or be bombed by the Iraqi Air Force.

Also Turkey is readying to invade northern Syria to fight the Kurds there as well:

Conflict News ‏@Conflicts 7h7 hours ago
    TURKEY: Turkish pro government media claims Turkey has "15,000 troops and tanks" ready to combat the PYD in Syria.

http://www.yenisafak.com/en/world/erdogan-15000-troops-on-border-2353250

Remind me whose idea was it to get involved again in the middle east?
  • Options
    Off Topic sport betting question:

I don't think Liverpool will win the League this season (I am a fan so am biased) but I do think it could be close like a couple of years ago. One reason is the bizarre fixture list - after just 14 games we have played Away every top 8 team from last season. Meaning not only is the December fixture list surprisingly easier than normal but the second half of the season will see all top opposition played at Anfield. Secondly no other club besides Leicester who likely won't last the distance are setting the league alight. Yesterday I put a small sum on at 11/1 based on the trading bet theory I often read about here thinking that if as I suspect the fixture list helps get us up into the top 4 then the odds will come in for, 11/1.

What do people think? Good value?

PS sorry if this were isn't appropriate. Often see people talk my about non politics betting here so hope you'll indulge me.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I don't think Liverpool will win the League this season (I am a fan so am biased) but I do think it could be close like a couple of years ago. One reason is the bizarre fixture list - after just 14 games we have played Away every top 8 team from last season. Meaning not only is the December fixture list surprisingly easier than normal but the second half of the season will see all top opposition played at Anfield. Secondly no other club besides Leicester who likely won't last the distance are setting the league alight. Yesterday I put a small sum on at 11/1 based on the trading bet theory I often read about here thinking that if as I suspect the fixture list helps get us up into the top 4 then the odds will come in for, 11/1.

PS sorry if this were isn't appropriate. Often see people talk my about non politics betting here so hope you'll indulge me.

The odds compilers base their prices on which games remain for each team, so I don't think that is much of an edge if I am honest

They price up every remaining game and use the expected points to make the odds
  • Options

Speedy said:

By-election alert:

Quite right. The idea that this MP would resign her seat is preposterous. It's actually a little tragic though - that the Kippers and Corbynites are now relying on phantom by-elections to shore up their leaders' dwindling popularity. They need something better to clutch at than this. (I'm reminded of Latvian homophobes.)
  • Options
    isam said:

The odds compilers base their prices on which games remain for each team, so I don't think that is much of an edge if I am honest
    That argument for Liverpool doesn't take into account that they are better away than at home.

Good start to my lay the away odds on favourite, with City and Spurs both not winning, however just layed Liverpool at 1.65 and not happy with that at all
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited December 2015
    SeanT said:

So THIS really happened

An Al Jazeera America journalist complained that showing the face of the female San Bernardino killer on media was "disrespectful", as she normally wore the burqa.

No, really, he did that.

http://www.weaselzippers.us/243668-al-jazeera-america-producer-objects-to-publishing-tashfeen-maliks-face-without-burka-its-disrepectful/

This is presumably a "liberal" Muslim here, yet one so full of entitlement and so demanding of respect, he cannot see how this appalling comment will appear to non-Muslims.

(He has since apologised, but too late, I suspect)

One can't help wondering if there is any future for Islam in the West.
    This is, of course, what ISIS wants: total division.

Just wondering, if she always wore a burka, why is there a picture available of her without one? I presume the media didn't hack her phone to get a selfie?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    edited December 2015

I'd noticed Liverpool's fixtures - I think that was similar to 2013-14 - so you might have a point. I'm an Arsenal fan and I don't think we're that good - in January we go to Anfield followed by Stoke away - I suspect those two games will be the end of Arsenal's challenge for another season.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,975

SeanT said:

So THIS really happened

An Al Jazeera America journalist complained that showing the face of the female San Bernardino killer on media was "disrespectful", as she normally wore the burqa.

No, really, he did that.

http://www.weaselzippers.us/243668-al-jazeera-america-producer-objects-to-publishing-tashfeen-maliks-face-without-burka-its-disrepectful/

This is presumably a "liberal" Muslim here, yet one so full of entitlement and so demanding of respect, he cannot see how this appalling comment will appear to non-Muslims.

Just wondering, if she always wore a burka, why is there a picture available of her without one? I presume the media didn't hack her phone to get a selfie?
    For her Muslim female friends to see. Probably shared with them on Facebook. Not for the Kuffar to see.
  • Options
    isam said:

My thinking was the odds were based on both expected remaining games and weight of money being placed. I was thinking if the weight of money was disproportionately affected by an out of kilter league table then it would give an edge.

Yes tlg IIRC all but one of the top 6 were played away in the first half. Though a few in December. Which no doubt helped our extraordinary run of victories. This time 100% of top 8 away games have already been played by end of November. I can't recall ever seeing that before.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,324
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

So THIS really happened

No, really, he did that.

For her Muslim female friends to see. Probably shared with them on Facebook. Not for the Kuffar to see.
    I guess the images come from visa applications or passport photos.
    Or they were pre-radicalisation photos.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

So THIS really happened

No, really, he did that.

'Burqas have "nothing to do with Islam"' :)
  • Options
    edited December 2015

isam said:

My thinking was the odds were based on both expected remaining games and weight of money being placed. I was thinking if the weight of money was disproportionately affected by an out of kilter league table then it would give an edge.

Yes tlg IIRC all but one of the top 6 were played away in the first half. Though a few in December. Which no doubt helped our extraordinary run of victories. This time 100% of top 8 away games have already been played by end of November. I can't recall ever seeing that before.
    The market is to tight for weight of money to be much of a factor

There is no edge in the angle you mention, it is already factored in
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited December 2015
    SeanT said:

The ICE TWINS, by mysterious Cornish authoress and notorious rightwing skag addict S K Tremayne, is right now the number 1 bestselling ebook in the UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Ice-Twins-S-Tremayne-ebook/dp/B00KA0USZC

I guessed some of the ending after chapter one.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Aw that's a shame. Thought I'd come up with something there. Thanks.
  • Options
    Logical song... I am definitely innumerate... dropping from from 14k to 10k is definitely a rise... how could i be so dumb... what is your excuse ..
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Sorry to be a spoilsport... Reading back, that comment was a bit terse!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The ICE TWINS, by mysterious Cornish authoress and notorious rightwing skag addict S K Tremayne, is right now the number 1 bestselling ebook in the UK

Honestly, I'm not a fiction person, but I had a brief browse in Tesco's in Birmingham city centre a couple of months back.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

isam said:

That argument for Liverpool doesn't take into account that they are better away than at home.

Good start to my lay the away odds on favourite, with City and Spurs both not winning, however just layed Liverpool at 1.65 and not happy with that at all
    Ahh, I was thinking of this earlier, I didn't think Spurs could be laid at odds on what price did you get?

Re Liverpool, most seasons I don't think they'd be good enough but it's clearly a very poor league. I'm not sure where they're going to get enough goals from.

My lot Spurs are being very unSpurs like, unbeaten since the opening day, a club record, defence surprisingly tight. No way they'll win the league but nobody would want to play them right now.

When does the inevitable Leicester slump start? About 2 months ago is my guess.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    edited December 2015

isam said:

isam said:

If you think Liverpool can do it go for it - I can certainly see them finishing above Arsenal.

EDIT: My only concern with Liverpool is that these players should have been doing the business for Rodgers - a manager I like a lot. New manager syndrome is a bit of a myth but Liverpool need to keep it up into the new year and not take the League Cup semi that seriously.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    SeanT said:

I never realised SK Tremayne was an authoress.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BTW the Observer has a magnificently angry article by Nick Cohen on the nastiness of the new Corbynite left.

He's quite right to observe that the Far Left are much angrier about the Moderate Left, than they are about the Tories
    There is certainly a similar element to ISIS and the Corbynite left.
    The biggest enemy are less virtuous individuals of the same faith rather than infidel opposition.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

isam said:

If you think Liverpool can do it go for it - I can certainly see them finishing above Arsenal.
    I don't think we will do it but I think it could happen and 11/1 feels like value. With the fixture list, players coming back from injury, new manager and a generally poor league it does feel like the stars are aligning lol.
  • Options
    The curse of 'c'

Chelsea
    Clarke
    Corbyn
    Cdernbach
  • Options

isam said:

Ahh, I was thinking of this earlier, I didn't think Spurs could be laid at odds on what price did you get?

Re Liverpool, most seasons I don't think they'd be good enough but it's clearly a very poor league. I'm not sure where they're going to get enough goals from.

My lot Spurs are being very unSpurs like, unbeaten since the opening day, a club record, defence surprisingly tight. No way they'll win the league but nobody would want to play them right now.

I layed Spurs at 1.92

Think you have uncovered the new Frank Lampard.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060
    edited December 2015

OT. On the previous thread Foxinsox was claiming that most of the massacres of the Assyrians and other minorities between 1915 and 1923 was carried out by the Kurds. This is absolutely not true. Whilst the Turkish Government did encourage the militias of all the minorities to fight each other and massacres did occur, the vast majority of massacres and the genocide of the minorities including Kurds, Armenians and Assyrians was carried out by the regular Turkish army.

Indeed one of the greatest stories never told about the end of WW1 was the small detachment of volunteers from Dunsterforce who travelled north from Persia into Turkey to rescue the Assyrian population who were fleeing the regular Turkish army who were advancing around Lake Van and massacring the Assyrians. These few men armed with Lewis guns guarded the passes south and formed a rearguard against a division of Turkish troops allowing tens of thousands of Assyrians to escape to safety.

Kurds openly aknowledge their role in the Armenian Genocide:

https://www.beaconreader.com/frederike-geerdink/kurdish-apologies-for-armenian-genocide

There was some involvement in the Assyrian and Pontic Greek massacres too.

The Kurds are at least ahead of the Turks in admitting that it was a Genocide and apologising for their role.

The Ottoman empire was multicultural and there was not a distinction between Turkish or Kurdish troops under the control of the Ottomans, but the Kurdish irregular calalry was also involved in the 1895 Hamidian massacres that killed 250 000 Armenians and Assyrians.
    The comment I was replying to was your specific claim at the end of the last thread that the Kurds were responsible for the majority of the genocide against the Assyrians between 1915 and 1923. This was complete garbage.
  • Options

isam said:

I layed Spurs at 1.92

We're at home to the geordies next weekend, being spursy would see our unbeaten run end at home to them!!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

You know The Times are giving it away for free, right?
  • Options

isam said:

I layed Spurs at 1.92

I just wrote a long post that disappeared, oh well.

As you know we discussed laying odds on away from home yesterday, so well done.

Alli has everything to be a top class player, I think he's more Gerrard than Lampard, he's quite aggressive that could easily boil over. He's 19 so let's not get carried away but he's at the right club under the right manager, for now anyway.

How long does Jose have?

• Options
    Apols if posted already.
    Birmingham are cracking down on thought crime.
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/dinner-lady-sacked-school-after-10553715
  • Options

tlg86 said:

isam said:

isam said:

I don't think we will do it but I think it could happen and 11/1 feels like value. With the fixture list, players coming back from injury, new manager and a generally poor league it does feel like the stars are aligning lol.
    One thing about Liverpool, no team wins the league without a top class keeper, I'm not sure Mignolet is quite good enough.
  • Options

Apols if posted already.
    http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/dinner-lady-sacked-school-after-10553715

Speechless

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I wonder how much trouble the Tory MP for Telford now faces? It would certainly be a very interesting by election.
  • Options

Apols if posted already.

Speechless

"This employee was warned on numerous occasions about the content of public Facebook posts and comments and was on a final warning.

“Despite this, she continued to make inappropriate posts and was therefore subject to a hearing at which she was dismissed."

Bit difficult to know whether the right decision has been reached without the previous context.

She can take it to the ET if nececsary.
  • Options

Apols if posted already.

Speechless

“This employee was warned on numerous occasions about the content of public Facebook posts and comments and was on a final warning."

As far as I can see the "joke" is neither offensive nor racist, but I wonder what she has posted before this?
  • Options

Apols if posted already.

End of the article states that the lady was already on a final warning after being warned multiple times. If true that puts a different slant on the story.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

SeanT said:

So THIS really happened

No, really, he did that.

'Burqas have "nothing to do with Islam"' :)
    You are right.

Islam requires that women dress "modestly"

Burqas are an Arab nationalist statement (specifically an anti-British statement dating back to the Egyptian protectorate)
  • Options

Apols if posted already.

End of the article states that the lady was already on a final warning after being warned multiple times. If true that puts a different slant on the story.
    If she was sharing FB jokes that mocked some of the branches of Christianity, would the reaction have been the same?
  • Options
    HP..Yep .. go after those dangerous dinner ladies in Birmingham...meanwhile..down the road at the local mosque..all is peace and serenity throughout the world..
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn’s close associates are secretly planning to purge the shadow cabinet of moderate MPs who disagree with his radical, anti-war policies, as he seeks to impose his will on the Labour Party.

In the aftermath of the Commons vote on bombing Syria last week, allies of the Labour leader warned that he would reshuffle his senior team to remove his enemies from positions of power.

The clear-out of the moderates could come as soon as next month, in a New Year reshuffle, as part of a four-pronged strategy to strengthen the Labour leader’s grip on his MPs

http://bit.ly/1TLX7NY
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited December 2015

isam said:

I layed Spurs at 1.92

I just wrote a long post that disappeared, oh well.

As you know we discussed laying odds on away from home yesterday, so well done.

Alli has everything to be a top class player, I think he's more Gerrard than Lampard, he's quite aggressive that could easily boil over. He's 19 so let's not get carried away but he's at the right club under the right manager, for now anyway.

How long does Jose have?

God knows, I can't believe he's still there now. Not sure what game the club are playing at, I'm wondering if they are waiting for the Eva tribunal and are hoping it goes against him, that way they could sack him for gross conduct with no pay off.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    edited December 2015

God knows, I can't believe he's still there now. Not sure what game the club are playing, I'm wondering if they are waiting for the Eva tribunal and are hoping it goes against him, that way they could sack him for gross conduct with no pay off.

It was said the reason Liverpool sacked Brendan Rodgers when they did was they were afraid Chelsea were making overtures to Jurgen Klopp.

So we might owe Jose a huge thank you
  • Options

God knows, I can't believe he's still there now. Not sure what game the club are playing, I'm wondering if they are waiting for the Eva tribunal and are hoping it goes against him, that way they could sack him for gross conduct with no pay off.

It was said the reason Liverpool sacked Brendan Rodgers when they did was they were afraid Chelsea were making overtures to Jurgen Klopp.

I heard that too, if true we made a big mistake.

Two off the wall predictions for next season, Mourinho will be Man Utd manager and John Terry will be Jamie Carraghers sidekick to replace Gary Neville.
  • Options
    @nigelforengland

I'm not sure Roman is concerned about money, more to do with a suitable replacement.

Anyone in mind?
  • Options
    Add the 66 rebels to the 8 Lib Dems and you have the makings of a proper party.
  • Options

Apols if posted already.

If she was sharing FB jokes that mocked some of the branches of Christianity, would the reaction have been the same?
    I have no idea but if she did so again after being repeatedly warned about doing so and put on a final warning for doing so then claiming surprise at the decision would be odd. If someone is repeatedly warned over any behaviour and put on a final warning for it then repeating that behaviour (whatever it is) is asking to be fired.

I don't see anything wrong with the joke and if it was gross misconduct without any warnings then that would be truly shocking. If she is already on a final warning it is less shocking. I wonder what she was warned over previously?
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Off topic, but we are getting hammered up here by the weather,without doubt the worst storm here I have ever witnessed, house leaking all over the place,
    Roads flooded etc, today has been terrible, seems to be abating now, I live on the Cumbria border,but I also often live in the Eden valley , which is getting a hammering.
    Hope for some calm in the morning.
  • Options

Two off the wall predictions for next season, Mourinho will be Man Utd manager and John Terry will be Jamie Carraghers sidekick to replace Gary Neville.
    I can't see him as Manchester United manager, they want Pep Guardiola and his brand of football. Klopp is awesome, I normally a bit pessimistic about Liverpool, he's got me dreaming..

I really am going to miss Gary Neville, sometimes I just watched the first hour of Monday night football and didn't watch the match just to see him and Carra.
  • Options

@nigelforengland

I'm not sure Roman is concerned about money, more to do with a suitable replacement.

Anyone in mind?

Klippitty would have been perfect, but in reality anyone who plays decent football and not a false number nine at home to Bournemouth, but most importantly can bring through the hugely talented kids Mourinho is wasting.

Ancelotti with Steve Clarke as assistant would be good, but I would like a young manager such as Eddie Howe or Paul Clement.
  • Options
    Guardian also have the reshuffle story too

The shadow cabinet is bracing itself for a “revenge reshuffle” in the aftermath of Labour’s victory in the Oldham byelection, with key senior figures voicing fears they will be sacrificed by Jeremy Corbyn to kill dissent.

Labour’s surprisingly emphatic win on Thursday has given Corbyn and his supporters renewed confidence, leaving some of his most high-ranking critics in the party uneasy about their futures. One shadow cabinet minister told friends: “I am expecting a busy Christmas, and a very quiet new year.”

Sources at the top of the party said there were fears that an emboldened Corbyn would now try to stamp his authority on the party and “pick off” dissenters. Frontbenchers have already been emailed with a reminder of their duty to respect the leadership’s wishes, it is understood. Corbyn’s office has also made it clear to the shadow cabinet that they “know who has been briefing” against the leader.

http://bit.ly/1IMaya9
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

Jeremy Corbyn’s close associates are secretly planning to purge the shadow cabinet of moderate MPs who disagree with his radical, anti-war policies, as he seeks to impose his will on the Labour Party.

In the aftermath of the Commons vote on bombing Syria last week, allies of the Labour leader warned that he would reshuffle his senior team to remove his enemies from positions of power.

The clear-out of the moderates could come as soon as next month, in a New Year reshuffle, as part of a four-pronged strategy to strengthen the Labour leader’s grip on his MPs

http://bit.ly/1TLX7NY

Sounds reasonable, and brings matters out into the open as opposed to the sometimes silly situation we have at present.
  • Options
    West Ham just above Liverpool - for now :)
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

The shadow cabinet is bracing itself for a “revenge reshuffle” in the aftermath of Labour’s victory in the Oldham byelection, with key senior figures voicing fears they will be sacrificed by Jeremy Corbyn to kill dissent.

Labour’s surprisingly emphatic win on Thursday has given Corbyn and his supporters renewed confidence, leaving some of his most high-ranking critics in the party uneasy about their futures. One shadow cabinet minister told friends: “I am expecting a busy Christmas, and a very quiet new year.”

Sources at the top of the party said there were fears that an emboldened Corbyn would now try to stamp his authority on the party and “pick off” dissenters. Frontbenchers have already been emailed with a reminder of their duty to respect the leadership’s wishes, it is understood. Corbyn’s office has also made it clear to the shadow cabinet that they “know who has been briefing” against the leader.

I find it very funny that holding a very safe labour seat has now emboldened him.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    jayfdee said:

Off topic, but we are getting hammered up here by the weather,without doubt the worst storm here I have ever witnessed, house leaking all over the place,
    Roads flooded etc, today has been terrible, seems to be abating now, I live on the Cumbria border,but I also often live in the Eden valley , which is getting a hammering.

Just down the road near Clapham, flooding along the Wenning and Lune valley is horrendous... had to abandon my own car as river rose... Pushed out by a Land Rover but the engine is buggered... Not good but even worse for the farmers
  • Options
    BREAKING: Man with 'machete' shouts 'this is for Syria' as he stabs Londoner

A 'MACHETE-WIELDING' man has slashed a man's throat at a station in London as he shouted "this is for Syria", reports claim.

http://bit.ly/1OG5f2x
  • Options

@nigelforengland

Anyone in mind?

Klippitty would have been perfect, but in reality anyone who plays decent football and not a false number nine at home to Bournemouth, but most importantly can bring through the hugely talented kids Mourinho is wasting.

Ancelotti with Steve Clarke as assistant would be good, but I would like a young manager such as Eddie Howe or Paul Clement.
    Hands off Poch!

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    One out all out, what would Corbyn do if they all walk together?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053

I find it very funny that holding a very safe labour seat has now emboldened him.
    Corbyn can point to the foremost political betting blog "wisdom index" to show the result was an excellent one for Labour.
    Labour's expectation management was certainly world class there, and like a stock that has beaten analyst expectations it gives him political capital to do what is necessary.
  • Options
    Corbyn has an extremely weak front bench right now.. who TF can he appoint to make it stronger..
  • Options

I can't see him as Manchester United manager, they want Pep Guardiola and his brand of football. Klopp is awesome, I normally a bit pessimistic about Liverpool, he's got me dreaming..

I really am going to miss Gary Neville, sometimes I just watched the first hour of Monday night football and didn't watch the match just to see him and Carra.
    Me too! Remember when all those Scousers said they would cancel their Sky subscriptions, now he is everyone's favourite pundit.

Not sure where Guardiola will end up, but not certain Utd will get him, I reckon he is perfect for Arsenal. Utd are more dominated by money and shareholders than anyone else, they know Mourinho would win them the title within two years and that's all that matters.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

BREAKING: Man with 'machete' shouts 'this is for Syria' as he stabs Londoner

A 'MACHETE-WIELDING' man has slashed a man's throat at a station in London as he shouted "this is for Syria", reports claim.

http://bit.ly/1OG5f2x

FFS.
  • Options
    Fu*k TSE :'(
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053
    I expect Benn will stay in the reshuffle, actually.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    And he that sows the wind by voting umpteen times over three decades against his leadership will reap the whirlwind of disloyalty now he's poacher turned gamekeeper. What else can he expect?
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Rexel56 said:

jayfdee said:

Just down the road near Clapham, flooding along the Wenning and Lune valley is horrendous... had to abandon my own car as river rose... Pushed out by a Land Rover but the engine is buggered... Not good but even worse for the farmers
    Yes, seen pics of the Lune, and Wenning, and it is very bad,worst storm in this area I have ever seen.
    Hope you are OK,obviously a buggered engine is not good news.
  • Options

Me too! Remember when all those Scousers said they would cancel their Sky subscriptions, now he is everyone's favourite pundit.

Not sure where Guardiola will end up, but not certain Utd will get him, I reckon he is perfect for Arsenal. Utd are more dominated by money and shareholders than anyone else, they know Mourinho would win them the title within two years and that's all that matters.
    I hope he is a success at Valencia, I hope he becomes England manager.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

And he that sows the wind by voting umpteen times over three decades against his leadership will reap the whirlwind of disloyalty now he's poacher turned gamekeeper. What else can he expect?
    To be fair he rebelled from the backbenches not the Shadow Cabinet. If critics won't respect him they can and should do the same. To be part of his shadow cabinet and disloyal is rather trying to have your cake and eat it too ...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    edited December 2015
    There's a story going round that will appear in the papers tomorrow that Corbyn passed out because of the stress of the Syria vote

Edit: Here it is

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVfgLs7WcAEDdbP.jpg
  • Options

If he's a success at Valencia no way will he become England manager. I'm a big fan of Neville but it's a bad move, managing a Spanish team without speaking Spanish is ridiculous.

• Options
    Andy Burnham might get 4 cabinet posts, super brain Burgon could be foreign secretary but might not have time to meet foreigners as he is V busy don't you know. Lord Palmer xmp will surely be able to get a role too before long...
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited December 2015

If he's a success at Valencia no way will he become England manager. I'm a big fan of Neville but it's a bad move, managing a Spanish team without speaking Spanish is ridiculous.

True. But in fairness says he's going to learn and is moving the family out post Xmas to show commitment.
This discussion has been closed.