Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Only one PB Oldham competition entrant over-stated Labour i

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Only one PB Oldham competition entrant over-stated Labour in the by-election and he wins by a huge margin

The sensational Oldham result took all but one of the 320 PB competition entrants by surprise. Michael Patterson wins the prize of the Cowley/Kavanagh book of the 2015 general election

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    edited December 2015
    Close, but no cigar...

Edit - at least I scored a first
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    Michael Paterson PB Prognosticator Extraordinaire!
  • Options
    Rather knocks on the head the 'at the beginning everyone expected a comfortable Labour hold and it's no surprise that's how it turned out' narrative.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Wisdom of the crowds ...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    FPT Mr Herdson, you may like an alternative suggestion for the derivation of 'I'll eat my hat if...':

"An alternative derivation has been put forward. This maintains that 'hattes' were mediaeval veal pies and hence the phrase derives from them. There is some evidence that 'hattes' were a form of pie. " http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/eat-my-hat.html

Many years ago I read a variation of this (source long since forgotten), that 'hatte' was a fermented milk concoction fed Dutch kids as a tonic. Thus it was a bargaining ploy by kids which evolved into the meaning of "I'm so confident this won't happen that I'll promise to do something really undesirable if it does."

If indeed it is a venison pie, eating your hat may be quite pleasurable, depending on the cook and the recipe.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936

Rather knocks on the head the 'at the beginning everyone expected a comfortable Labour hold and it's no surprise that's how it turned out' narrative.

I expected a very comfortable Labour win, had £75 on them at around 1-5 as my first bets on the contest. The later smoke signals sent me completely off kilter.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I'm trying to recall when the narrative became UKIP as a contender rather than the Labour walkover we all expected to begin with.

Anyone remember?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    RobD said:

Michael Paterson PB Prognosticator Extraordinaire!

Indeed.

Also:
    "p.s. I have a mea culpa to admit. Before the Oldham polling day, I confidently stated that Labour would not increase its vote share. Indeed, so categorical was I that I said I would eat Lord Ashdown’s hat it they did. Well, no-one gets it right all the time and I was probably tempting fate quoting that foolishly dismissive reference. I trust the honourable readers of politicalbetting will permit me to consume humble pie in lieu of the Lib Dem Lord’s headwear (which in any case, he should have already eaten)."

I think that's accepted, humble pie it is.
    But Lord Ashdown's hat is becoming more and more notorious in prediction circles.
    Something like Macbeth in acting circles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--HR7PWfp0

From now on it's best to never say that notorious phrase when making a prediction.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

You can find your entry here if you cannot remember what it was...

http://show.nojam.com/a2t7/search.php?b=0

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

I'm trying to recall when the narrative became UKIP as a contender rather than the Labour walkover we all expected to begin with.

Anyone remember?

I think it built gradually from anecdotal reports from journalists and Labour canvassers about how hostile many people in Oldham were towards Corbyn (talk of doors being slammed in faces, leaflets being handed back, etc.).

However, in light of the result, it may just have been that people who were already anti-Labour were more vocal than they would usually have been.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Plato Exactly..no one in their right mind expected Labour to lose Oldham..except a few fruitcakes in UKIP..that is why the resulting numbers are appalling.. and certainly not stupendous
  • Options
    Great trivia.
    MTimT said:

FPT Mr Herdson, you may like an alternative suggestion for the derivation of 'I'll eat my hat if...':

"An alternative derivation has been put forward. This maintains that 'hattes' were mediaeval veal pies and hence the phrase derives from them. There is some evidence that 'hattes' were a form of pie. " http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/eat-my-hat.html

Many years ago I read a variation of this (source long since forgotten), that 'hatte' was a fermented milk concoction fed Dutch kids as a tonic. Thus it was a bargaining ploy by kids which evolved into the meaning of "I'm so confident this won't happen that I'll promise to do something really undesirable if it does."

If indeed it is a venison pie, eating your hat may be quite pleasurable, depending on the cook and the recipe.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,880
    Here's a supposition

"Ultimately, we do not have a reliable indicator of election percentages. Polls, betting odds, modellers, wisdom indices, all have a undesirably large margin of error and are sometimes catastrophically wrong. Future research should concentrate on the one thing that we might be able to predict correctly: namely, who will come first. Predictions of ercentages or margins should be abandoned"

Any thoughts?
  • Options

Anyone remember?

The day Meacher died.
    The original speculation started from anti-Corbynites that since Corbyn is so unpopular and an electoral disaster even UKIP can at least come close, many mentioning Heywood as an example.
    HYUFD in particular constantly mentioned that Corbyn would lose Oldham in order to lead to his replacement with a coronation of Hilary Benn, per his usual theory of historical repeats of the IDS situation.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Errr no it doesn't - the early 'PB wisdom' pre-dated the competition by some time.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    When is the result due in the Alistair Carmichael case?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Here's a supposition

"Ultimately, we do not have a reliable indicator of election percentages. Polls, betting odds, modellers, wisdom indices, all have a undesirably large margin of error and are sometimes catastrophically wrong. Future research should concentrate on the one thing that we might be able to predict correctly: namely, who will come first. Predictions of ercentages or margins should be abandoned"

Any thoughts?

I agree, however even that is a bit misleading as it is influenced by the environment of "polls, betting odds, modellers", also the media and party affiliation.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

isam said:
    'I posted a link earlier, and am surprised no one has commented, to an interview last month, after the Paris atrocities, where Hilary Benn all but rules out air strikes on Syria... I don't get why more isn't made of this or at least an answer found as to why he changed his mind?'

I think the key change for Benn will have been the UN resolution.
  • Options
    Is there a full ranking?
  • Options

felix said

'Indeed - so you're happy for all benefits and wages to be cut by around 1% immediately as prices are falling?'

That is a separate issue - though if the price level did fall by a third all Benefits - including Retirement Pensions - would have to be cut! It would be a deflationary environment of which we have no experience but if it came to pass all Government spending would have to fall in nominal terms. Employers would have to do likewise - otherwise few would survive!
  • Options
    felix said:

Errr no it doesn't - the early 'PB wisdom' pre-dated the competition by some time.
    I'm talking about several comments made after the by-election, not "early 'PB wisdom'", whatever that is.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

isam said:
    'I posted a link earlier, and am surprised no one has commented, to an interview last month, after the Paris atrocities, where Hilary Benn all but rules out air strikes on Syria... I don't get why more isn't made of this or at least an answer found as to why he changed his mind?'

That changed my mind too in favour of airstrikes, however the subsequent turkish-russian military incident changed my mind against once more.

Benn remained a step behind the curve, or simply that he calculated that Corbyn would take a big hit in the Oldham by-election and started believing that he could take the leadership, so he wanted to be on the right side of the narrative (or even worse he reads PB and believed all that HYUFD stuff about his coronation).
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT:
    notme said:

taffys said:

'In a centuries time people will be massovely more prosperous than today and fretting about the impact of the "truly remarkable" technology yet to come ...''

Some feminists are so worried about the impact of sex robots they are urging for them to be banned.

A scene in HG Wells Things to Come, always makes me chuckle:
    https://youtu.be/atwfWEKz00U?t=5m26s

Your browser should take you to the exact spot, but if it doesnt, start at 5m26s, listen to what the old man says....
    Marvellous Music though. Used to play the theme tune a lot when I was a youngster.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

justin124 said:

isam said:

That changed my mind too in favour of airstrikes, however the subsequent turkish-russian military incident changed my mind against once more.

Benn remained a step behind the curve, or simply that he calculated that Corbyn would take a big hit in the Oldham by-election and started believing that he could take the leadership, so he wanted to be on the right side of the narrative (or even worse he reads PB and believed all that HYUFD stuff about his coronation).
    I think you are wrong about Benn's motives. From what I have been told he does not actually want the leadership - in the same way that Alan Johnson has consistently turned it down. He is probably 'too nice' and would find the associated pressures very unwelcome. If he ever becomes Leader it will be as a result of it being effectively forced upon him - he will certainly never manoeuvre or campaign for it.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Whilst apparently not very cold, the constant wind/rain certainly makes it feel wintry. Ten inches of rain is expected to deluge the north-west, which sounds horrendous.

Congrats to Mr. Paterson.
  • Options
    F1: hmm. Apparently it's possible the Lotus drivers Maldonado and Palmer won't be retained by Renault. It'd be a shame for the Briton if, having secured the seat after a year as the third driver, he then had it snatched away before his first season even begun.
  • Options
    Missed the competition myself, which is a shame as I would have got it spot on. The northern vote-Labour-to-my-dying-day factor combined with UKIP's having a look of last year's fad about them made this result highly deducible. UKIP need to reinvent themselves. The media are getting bored with them after too many false dawns. I can see them fading away completely in the coming years, with perhaps Carswell lingering on in Clacton as a sort of artefact and curiosity.But who in UKIP can halt the decline?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

felix said

'Indeed - so you're happy for all benefits and wages to be cut by around 1% immediately as prices are falling?'

That is a separate issue - though if the price level did fall by a third all Benefits - including Retirement Pensions - would have to be cut! It would be a deflationary environment of which we have no experience but if it came to pass all Government spending would have to fall in nominal terms. Employers would have to do likewise - otherwise few would survive!

If the price level falls at all surely govts and employers are justified in reducing benefits and wages. Government spending would fall - yes but it should not affect services at all. I don't know if the Labour party in general accept this logic!
  • Options
    Mr. Dawning, Farage. By leaving.

However, as per Cameron leading the Leave campaign, I shall believe this when I see it.
  • Options

Missed the competition myself, which is a shame as I would have got it spot on. The northern vote-Labour-to-my-dying-day factor combined with UKIP's having a look of last year's fad about them made this result highly deducible. UKIP need to reinvent themselves. The media are getting bored with them after too many false dawns. I can see them fading away completely in the coming years, with perhaps Carswell lingering on in Clacton as a sort of artefact and curiosity.But who in UKIP can halt the decline?

As David Herdson said in the previous thread header, the EUref is a golden opportunity for a UKIP revival (especially since there's a high chance of more Tory MPs defecting if they feel the Tory leadership had "conned" their way to a Remain vote).
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

You think O & S are ready and waiting for Corbynism? :)
  • Options
    felix said:

Danny565 said:

I could see Labour soaring their way to a saved deposit in that by-election!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

Of course, any by-election would be a Tory gain......

Trying to keep a straight face...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

I could see them beating the LDs :)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited December 2015
    OT. On the previous thread Foxinsox was claiming that most of the massacres of the Assyrians and other minorities between 1915 and 1923 was carried out by the Kurds. This is absolutely not true. Whilst the Turkish Government did encourage the militias of all the minorities to fight each other and massacres did occur, the vast majority of massacres and the genocide of the minorities including Kurds, Armenians and Assyrians was carried out by the regular Turkish army.

Indeed one of the greatest stories never told about the end of WW1 was the small detachment of volunteers from Dunsterforce who travelled north from Persia into Turkey to rescue the Assyrian population who were fleeing the regular Turkish army who were advancing around Lake Van and massacring the Assyrians. These few men armed with Lewis guns guarded the passes south and formed a rearguard against a division of Turkish troops allowing tens of thousands of Assyrians to escape to safety.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

As David Herdson said in the previous thread header, the EUref is a golden opportunity for a UKIP revival (especially since there's a high chance of more Tory MPs defecting if they feel the Tory leadership had "conned" their way to a Remain vote).
    It is their big chance but they've not started well and Farage is increasingly a big negative - unfortunately for UKIP his ego is even bigger than his need to step down.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

I'm not sure the blue surge has got that far north yet.
  • Options
    felix said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

The blue dawn is inevitable. It's just that nights are longer up north! ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

felix said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

The blue dawn is inevitable. It's just that nights are longer up north! ;)
    That's true. Middlesbrough hasn't seen the sun since 1834.

• Options
    Mr. 565, after seeing what happened in 2015, and with Cameron going before 2020?

They'd be nuts to defect (unless Cameron's replacement was a raving EU-phile).
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Missed the competition myself, which is a shame as I would have got it spot on....

I can't think of anything to say to that. So I'll just leave it there.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Shows how dominated PB is from blues to nutters kippers.
  • Options
    felix said:

Danny565 said:

It is their big chance but they've not started well and Farage is increasingly a big negative - unfortunately for UKIP his ego is even bigger than his need to step down.
    What is UKIPs official position now, 36 hours later, regarding vote tampering in Oldham ?
  • Options
    felix said:

justin124 said:

felix said

If the price level falls at all surely govts and employers are justified in reducing benefits and wages. Government spending would fall - yes but it should not affect services at all. I don't know if the Labour party in general accept this logic!
    The last thing you would want to do in deflationary circumstances s to cut wages.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

What is UKIPs official position now, 36 hours later, regarding vote tampering in Oldham ?
    I think it's something along the lines of "Youze bastidz, you promised me, you bitzchzz, come back, COME BACK, I DINT'T MEAN IT, baztidz, never loved me anyway...." (collapses and throws up)

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited December 2015
    surbiton said:

The PB average still got the winner right, Labour, they just had a narrow Labour win rather than a comfortable Labour win, congratulations to Michael Paterson nonetheless
  • Options

Plato Exactly..no one in their right mind expected Labour to lose Oldham..except a few fruitcakes in UKIP..that is why the resulting numbers are appalling.. and certainly not stupendous

What about that "Observer" writing in Labourlist who could not meet a single Labour supporter having a good word for Corbyn ? Same with BBC news and Newsnight.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    surbiton said:

What about that "Observer" writing in Labourlist who could not meet a single Labour supporter having a good word for Corbyn ? Same with BBC news and Newsnight.

Clearly they held their noses!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

viewcode said:

Here's a supposition

Any thoughts?

I agree, however even that is a bit misleading as it is influenced by the environment of "polls, betting odds, modellers", also the media and party affiliation.
    Well, yes, but the only thing we (PB.com) can consistently do is predict the winner (and arguably who will come second). Even then, there are exceptions (George Galloway). But at 11pm we're pretty good at predicting who will have the most votes when the results are announced at 1-3am. And if we stick to that, we may make some money. Because right now, we're not really doing that.
  • Options
    Guess the Man U score at half time ?

You all got it right this time.

0 - 0
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Who do they dislike more: Corbyn or UKIP?

Right now that's clearly UKIP.

Perhaps when Corbyn's true nature drives home more widely, that answer will change.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Surbiton..who gives a shit what some journo writes.. the only thing that matters is a massive 27% approx drop in the majority...if I were a Labour analyst..strategist..I would be crapping myself..by election or not...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Congratulations to Michael.
  • Options
    What a silly billy.

'Tory MP who voted to bomb Syria in Facebook death threat row after adding 'unless you die' to constituent's email'

http://tinyurl.com/j4otpww

Seems you're nobody nowadays unless you've had a death threat.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

The PB average still got the winner right, Labour, they just had a narrow Labour win rather than a comfortable Labour win, congratulations to Michael Paterson nonetheless
    To say that PB got the winner right, when Labour won by 40 points, is hardly a prediction.
  • Options
    Mr. Hopkins, more important, I'd argue, is that the vote was not one that would conceivably change who the PM was.

When it's Corbyn versus Someone Else, the Someone Else (hopefully...) will have the significant advantage of not being a total fruitcake.
  • Options

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Perhaps when Corbyn's true nature drives home more widely, that answer will change.

Who do they dislike more - Corbyn, UKIP or Manchester United?
  • Options

What a silly billy.

'Tory MP who voted to bomb Syria in Facebook death threat row after adding 'unless you die' to constituent's email'

Lucy Allan, 51, published a genuine email from a voter who branded her 'an empty shell of a human being' and 'detached from reality' but added the words 'unless you die' and put it on Facebook.

What a b1tch ! She spoilt her own case.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2015
    felix said:

justin124 said:

felix said

The Consumer Price Index is not a measure of the cost of living.

House prices and house rental have been increasing at between 5% and 10% for some years but not included in the CPI.

In the real world housing costs are a high proportion of spending and house price inflation is a killer for younger and/or less wealthy people.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    PB comments areas of expertise: why Jeremy Corbyn is going to lose the next election
    PB comments areas of little expertise: forecasting election results
  • Options
    Mr. EPG, hmm.

I'm sure the site would welcome your own Delphic predictions.
  • Options
    EPG said:

PB comments areas of expertise: why Jeremy Corbyn is going to lose the next election

I think PB, on average, was a more accurate forecaster of the general election result than most of the pollsters
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

To say that PB got the winner right, when Labour won by 40 points, is hardly a prediction.
    Still correct though and the winner elects the MP whether they win by 1 vote or 30,000
  • Options

Surbiton..who gives a shit what some journo writes.. the only thing that matters is a massive 27% approx drop in the majority...if I were a Labour analyst..strategist..I would be crapping myself..by election or not...

The candidate for the party led by David Cameron up against Corbyn-led Labour dropped around a 'massive' 5.5k/70% of their GE vote. Would you say that's down to a crappy party, leader or candidate?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    Just had the pleasures of the Dundee Conservative Christmas lunch. Guest speaker Ian Duncan MEP. Quite an interesting speech but the most interesting point is his opinion that the EU referendum is going to be in that week of September 2016. Anyone know where you can get the best odds on the date?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    EPG said:

PB generally overestimated how Labour would perform in the general election (I plead guilty too).
  • Options

The candidate for the party led by David Cameron up against Corbyn-led Labour dropped around a 'massive' 5.5k/70% of their GE vote. Would you say that's down to a crappy party, leader or candidate?
    Did the Tories even try?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    justin124 said:

isam said:

It's also possible that he was briefed on Privy Council terms on intelligence briefings.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

I think PB, on average, was a more accurate forecaster of the general election result than most of the pollsters
    No, we weren't. We massively predicted a hung parliament. Just like everybody else. Arguably we were better at predicting who would have the most votes/seats, but then again, so did the pollsters. We were as gobsmacked at the exit poll as anybody else. We were even more gobsmacked at the actual result (narrow blue majority). We should not take refuge in false recall nor "if I had predicted I would have got it right"

If you'll excuse me reiterating what I said below: we should give up predicting margins, percentages, number of seats, and limit ourselves to saying who will have the most votes/seats. Collectively, PB is quite good at that.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

In the Uxbridge by-election in July 1997 the Tory vote rose by 7.6% while Blair's Labour saw a 2.5% fall in their GE vote despite being up against the Hague-led Tories, Blair still won the 2001 election by a landslide
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uxbridge_by-election,_1997
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    DavidL said:

Just had the pleasures of the Dundee Conservative Christmas lunch. Guest speaker Ian Duncan MEP. Quite an interesting speech but the most interesting point is his opinion that the EU referendum is going to be in that week of September 2016. Anyone know where you can get the best odds on the date?

Is that compatible with an agreement with the Council of Ministers in Feb 2016? Especially with respect to the need to add 16-17 yr olds to the register?

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Danny565 said:

The referendum is indeed a chance for UKIP to revive itself, but I'm sorry to say there'll be no further defections while Nigel is around. I hope a dignified end can be brought to his leadership, without him UKIP would be nowhere, he's a very good man but it's time for a change.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

That's because of the partisan bias which coincided negatively with the poll bias, rather than any particular Delphic (nice word, credit to Morris_Dancer) ability
  • Options
    Man United under LVG: lots of foreplay , very little penetration !
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    edited December 2015

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Who do they dislike more - Corbyn, UKIP or Manchester United?
    You mean more than Spurs or Leeds?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

No, we weren't. We massively predicted a hung parliament. Just like everybody else. Arguably we were better at predicting who would have the most votes/seats, but then again, so did the pollsters. We were as gobsmacked at the exit poll as anybody else. We were even more gobsmacked at the actual result (narrow blue majority). We should not take refuge in false recall nor "if I had predicted I would have got it right"

If you'll excuse me reiterating what I said below: we should give up predicting margins, percentages, number of seats, and limit ourselves to saying who will have the most votes/seats. Collectively, PB is quite good at that.
    In 2010 there was a majority government and PB comments predicted another majority government
    In 2015 there was a hung parliament and PB comments predicted another hung parliament
    With 2020 in mind, there is currently a majority government and PB comments predicts another majority government

As for 2020 Common(s) sense says that Corbyn will be a vote repellent, that is not coming from any deep political knowledge only found here though
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Is that compatible with an agreement with the Council of Ministers in Feb 2016? Especially with respect to the need to add 16-17 yr olds to the register?

Don't know but he is very well connected and seemed very sure. Well worth a punt if decent odds available.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

PB got the largest party right in 2010 and 2015 and also predicted Obama would be re-elected in 2012 amongst others (OGH indeed predicted he would be elected prior to 2008) and overall thought No would win indyref, that may not be spot on on margins but that is much more difficult to predict, however PB generally calls the winner right
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

PB got the largest party right in 2010 and 2015 and also predicted Obama would be re-elected in 2012 amongst others (OGH indeed predicted he would be elected prior to 2008) and overall thought No would win indyref, that may not be spot on on margins but that is much more difficult to predict, however PB generally calls the winner right
    IIRC PB got the Conservatives spot on in 2010, but overestimated the Lib Dems and underestimated Labour by 20 or so.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    justin124 said:

isam said:

How do the left generally rationalise outsourcing our foreign policy to the approval of Russia, China...and France?

That's effectively what the insistence on a security council resolution means (I've assumed they already believe the US has a decisive say).

This is a genuine question, btw: I just can't understand the rationale.
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, it seems barking mad to me as well.

But then, so does the concept of a legal war. Will Daesh sue us if we have an illegal one?
  • Options
    felix said:

justin124 said:

felix said

It is not about the Labour party but the electorate at large - the problem of 'money illusion'!
  • Options

felix said:

justin124 said:

felix said

The Consumer Price Index is not a measure of the cost of living.

House prices and house rental have been increasing at between 5% and 10% for some years but not included in the CPI.

In the real world housing costs are a high proportion of spending and house price inflation is a killer for younger and/or less wealthy people.
    Yes but in many parts of the UK house prices are still below or barely above 2008 levels while mortgage rates are very low. It's not all about Londonand the SE.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936
    edited December 2015
    There is some 37-1 available on Mahrez for Prem top scorer on betfair btw, he'll be on 10, in 2nd place 4 behind Vardy after today's match.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/football/market/1.118280153
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

The govt will probably reject this and the Parlt act can only delay for a year from the date of the introduction of a bill..(assuming the H/L tries to push their luck.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

IIRC PB got the Conservatives spot on in 2010, but overestimated the Lib Dems and underestimated Labour by 20 or so.
    Indeed, predicting the margin is more difficult
  • Options
    Charles said:

justin124 said:

isam said:

How do the left generally rationalise outsourcing our foreign policy to the approval of Russia, China...and France?

That's effectively what the insistence on a security council resolution means (I've assumed they already believe the US has a decisive say).

Really. Are you saying that the UN has no part to play and that when it does sanction action then it is meaningless?

• Options
    Charles said:

justin124 said:

isam said:

It has nothing to do with the Left or the Right. We have signed treaties - indeed we instigated many of the treaties - that say we will abide by an international code of conduct and the arbiter of that code will be the United Nations. We spend a great deal of time using that leverage to try and make other countries behave in what we consider to be a reasonable manner. That has a price and that price is that if we want to go and kill people in another part of the world we get the agreement, willingly given of not, from the other major powers.

It is a system which I believe has a great deal of merit, based as it is on a shared set of values - a set which, as it happens, we were able to have a great deal of influence over when it might so easily have been other countries who have a different cultural outlook to ours.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,472
    justin124 said:

isam said:

Yes - this

Did you see in the Spectator article, how the momentum types are now saying that it is foolish to use the UN as a measure of whether military action is justified - when those Tory bar stewards the Chinese and Russians can't be relied on to vote no?

Almost as if they were using the UN as an excuse....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

isam said:

It's also possible that he was briefed on Privy Council terms on intelligence briefings.

When was the last time all 5 permanent members of security council of the UN voted in favour of military action - no abstentions?
  • Options
    Wow http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/colombia/12035173/Colombia-says-it-has-found-San-Jose-treasure-ship.html
    Colombia has found a Spanish treasure galleon that sank three hundred years ago off the coast of Cartagena, reputedly loaded with emeralds, gold and silver coins.

President Juan Manuel Santos made the announcement on Twitter.

“Great news! We have found the San Jose galleon. Tomorrow we will provide details at a press conference from Cartagena,” he said.

It could reveal one of the great lost treasure chests, with valuables worth as much as $17 billion (£11 billion).
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

isam said:

When was the last time all 5 permanent members of security council of the UN voted in favour of military action - no abstentions?
    So why no Chapter 7 resolution ?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    He was way off on the Greens prediction - no good!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030
    surbiton said:

What a silly billy.

Lucy Allan, 51, published a genuine email from a voter who branded her 'an empty shell of a human being' and 'detached from reality' but added the words 'unless you die' and put it on Facebook.

What a b1tch ! She spoilt her own case.
    Average actions for a Tory, they are not the NASTY party for nothing.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MG Effin pathetic..give up..you are making yourself look an even bigger prat..
  • Options

MG Effin pathetic..give up..

Fat chance of that.
    He is really upset at the buffers the SNP have run into. Plus the fraud and corruption.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

isam said:

So why no Chapter 7 resolution ?
    Always another level - an interesting approach....
  • Options
    17th out of 310 - happy with that.
  • Options

Wow http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/colombia/12035173/Colombia-says-it-has-found-San-Jose-treasure-ship.html

Colombia has found a Spanish treasure galleon that sank three hundred years ago off the coast of Cartagena, reputedly loaded with emeralds, gold and silver coins.

President Juan Manuel Santos made the announcement on Twitter.

“Great news! We have found the San Jose galleon. Tomorrow we will provide details at a press conference from Cartagena,” he said.

It could reveal one of the great lost treasure chests, with valuables worth as much as $17 billion (£11 billion).
    The Royal Navy should get a cut for putting it there for the Columbians to find ;)
This discussion has been closed.