Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Walrun Phil says the Syria vote could decide the LAB succes

Comments

• Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    MTimT said:

MikeK said:
    Moronic image. We don't have free movement with non EU nationals. Idiots.
    Deleted
    They are very odd arrows!
  • Options

BigRich said:

Interesting fact:

In Oldham West and Royton, Labour have a lead over UKIP of 14,738 Votes

Of the 232 labour seats:
    127 have leads less than this.
    104 have leads more than this.

(this includes seats were UKIP are 2nd, 3rd, 4th....)

So depending on how tonight goes, possibly more than half the Labour seats could be vulnerable to UKIP, if another By-election happens.

I have given quite a bit of thought to this over the summer. My conclusion is that swing required is not the best measure for UKIP to determine target seats. By my preferred measure, Oldham West & Royton is a relatively good prospect for UKIP (though it would still be a gigantic success for the kippers to take it).

I suppose that might be worth a thread header.
    Is interesting that seat isn't even in UKIP's top 150 target seats for 2020 says a lot about the way this by election has panned out.
    To be fair it's distorted, Ukip have limited resources which was a major issue at the GE and Bickley is a very good candidate which can't be said of them all. In fighting to one degree or other 600 seats Ukip are massively disadvantaged.

I think next May's locals will help UKIP immensely for 2020.

The seats being contested next May will be the ones that will be contested again in May 2020.

Should help with targeting the right parliamentary seats.
    Is that right? The locals don't map to constituencies most of the time and Cameron is cutting number of constituencies from 650 to 600.
  • Options

Mr. Thompson, there's that, but it's also worth noting that there is effective free movement since Mad Merkel decided even pretending to have borders was *so* last century.

Of course, as we're not in Schengen and only have a land border with the Republic of Ireland, we're not quite in the same kettle of monkeys.

Schengen was not Merkel's invention. Though either way we are not in it as you say.
  • Options
    Deselection?
    MPs would broadly follow party policy. Why would they not? And they would broadly follow collective responsibility drawn up as per meetings of the shadow cabinet and PLP.
    If there is a free vote then that is a free vote. So why would deselection be an issue over a free vote?
    I think we all know the answer to that but it hardly justifies the policy.
  • Options

BigRich said:

Interesting fact:

Of the 232 labour seats:

So depending on how tonight goes, possibly more than half the Labour seats could be vulnerable to UKIP, if another By-election happens.

I have given quite a bit of thought to this over the summer. My conclusion is that swing required is not the best measure for UKIP to determine target seats. By my preferred measure, Oldham West & Royton is a relatively good prospect for UKIP (though it would still be a gigantic success for the kippers to take it).

Is interesting that seat isn't even in UKIP's top 150 target seats for 2020 says a lot about the way this by election has panned out.
    To be fair it's distorted, Ukip have limited resources which was a major issue at the GE and Bickley is a very good candidate which can't be said of them all. In fighting to one degree or other 600 seats Ukip are massively disadvantaged.

The seats being contested next May will be the ones that will be contested again in May 2020.

How many locals are there next year? We did pretty well in those in May

131 councils in England and 21 out of 22 in Wales and all the Scottish ones.

I think over 3, 000 seats up for grab in England.

These are the 2012 English results. This was peak Miliband and UKIP were polling around 4% nationally

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/vote2012/council/england.stm
  • Options

BigRich said:

Interesting fact:

Of the 232 labour seats:

Is that right? The locals don't map to constituencies most of the time and Cameron is cutting number of constituencies from 650 to 600.
    It gives a rough indication of where parties should direct their attention in 2020.
  • Options
    Mr. PB, I just thought they were meant to rekindle memories of the start to Dad's Army.

Mr. Thompson, no, but the errant nonsense of a migration policy was.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Has this been mentioned. By Ian Warren

Run some late numbers, and get to Lab 40%, UKIP 37%, Con 16%, LD 5%, Grn 1% for #OldhamWest at 32% turnout. Hey, what do I know?

Certainly plausible enough, although I'd be surprised if turnout is quite as low as that. He might have access to canvassing data, though, whereas I'm just guessing.
    Is Ian Warren working for a political party at the moment?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    DearPB said:

MTimT said:

MikeK said:
    Moronic image. We don't have free movement with non EU nationals. Idiots.
    Deleted
    They are very odd arrows!
    My first impression was that it read as I originally posted. On closer inspection it does not, and although it gives the impression of Arabic text disguised, I cannot make out anything that really makes sense, except the first two do spell Laa.
  • Options
    Mike

My understanding is that Oldham turnout very much on low side. Postal voter ‰age points to below 30-40%
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,170

Deselection?
    MPs would broadly follow party policy. Why would they not? And they would broadly follow collective responsibility drawn up as per meetings of the shadow cabinet and PLP.
    If there is a free vote then that is a free vote. So why would deselection be an issue over a free vote?
    I think we all know the answer to that but it hardly justifies the policy.

The MPs are free to vote as they wish, and the constituency parties are free to decide who their candidate will be at the next election. It's the new kinder and gentler politics in action. Or something.
  • Options
    How many times did Corbyn fail to follow party policy without being deselected? Why should his MPs not follow his own footsteps?
  • Options

@BBCBenWright: In call with Merkel David Cameron accepts he will not get EU renegotiation deal at December European Council.

Lol. Didn't he say he will campaign to leave if he doesn't get a deal this month?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Run some late numbers, and get to Lab 40%, UKIP 37%, Con 16%, LD 5%, Grn 1% for #OldhamWest at 32% turnout. Hey, what do I know?

Certainly plausible enough, although I'd be surprised if turnout is quite as low as that. He might have access to canvassing data, though, whereas I'm just guessing.
    Is Ian Warren working for a political party at the moment?
    I'm not sure. I believe he was working for Labour in Oldham, and maybe he still is. However, he's left the Labour Party.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

BigRich said:

Interesting fact:

Of the 232 labour seats:

How many locals are there next year? We did pretty well in those in May

I think over 3, 000 seats up for grab in England.

These are the 2012 English results. This was peak Miliband and UKIP were polling around 4% nationally

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/vote2012/council/england.stm
    Thanks, interesting.

• Options
    MTimT said:

Oliver_PB said:

FWIW, I'm still not convinced by the sincerity of Trump's candidacy. It feels too much like he's playing a character, a caricature. It feels like a joke that has gone too far.

I am with you there. There are many here who are convinced that this is all just a protracted publicity stunt to further build the Trump brand. And why not? It's all free advertising.

The danger is that his polling lead holds up and he starts to take his candidacy seriously. FWIW I think we have passed that point, alas.
    I agree: we are past that point. It's two months until the first real votes are cast in the election, and we can write at least half a month off for Christmas and New Year. He's led in the polls for well over three months. Why *wouldn't* he take himself seriously when so many others do?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: Momentum are " an organsied mob" who shd be disbanded if abusing Labour MPs - says Labour's Stephen Kinnock
  • Options

Mr. PB, I just thought they were meant to rekindle memories of the start to Dad's Army.

Indeed but since we have our own migration policy, aren't part of Schengen and don't have free movement with these migrants then it's a red herring.

With very odd looking arrows I agree in the other chat going on. Not so subtle arrows.
  • Options

How many times did Corbyn fail to follow party policy without being deselected? Why should his MPs not follow his own footsteps?

Well quite, he wants open debate and democracy unless you disagree with him.

That said, deselection can be misleading, in reality it means the incumbent has to apply for (re)selection.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    IIRC, he's said Leave if we don't get 4yrs exemption for benefit payments.
    MP_SE said:

@BBCBenWright: In call with Merkel David Cameron accepts he will not get EU renegotiation deal at December European Council.

Lol. Didn't he say he will campaign to leave if he doesn't get a deal this month?
  • Options
    Mr. SE, well, we'll see if that happens.

One does not live in fear of low-flying pigs, however.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

No I don't think he did. I think he said he was hopeful of a deal this month but it will be difficult. We have a deadline of two more years for the referendum.

If he said what you think then I'd love to see a source for that.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

I was getting 42/33/16/4 (LD)/3 (Grn). Sky Kippers then?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053
    Dixie said:

What are you basing these numbers off ?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935
    chestnut said:

Oldham usually gives an apathetic but bearable Labour government 50%, or a reasonably motivated Labour opposition low 50s.

40% - nearly 5% lower than a Foot led Labour.
    65 Lab MPs voted for war yesterday.

I would not turn out to vote Lab today.

• Options

Indeed but since we have our own migration policy, aren't part of Schengen and don't have free movement with these migrants then it's a red herring.

With very odd looking arrows I agree in the other chat going on. Not so subtle arrows.
    I'm curious to know what "our own migration policy" constitutes.

• Options
    Paddy 1/5 from 1/8 labour, how odd
  • Options

chestnut said:

Oldham usually gives an apathetic but bearable Labour government 50%, or a reasonably motivated Labour opposition low 50s.

40% - nearly 5% lower than a Foot led Labour.

I would not turn out to vote Lab today.

How did your local MP vote ?

Proud that Natascha indicated she would vote for the airstrikes myself, even though she couldn't as she is "Ways and means"
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Pulpstar said:

Dixie said:

What are you basing these numbers off ?
    Talking to political parties asking about their canvass returns. My Labour source is normally most spot on. He likes to brag and is a know all so he gives me good stuff. I find Labour are better at giving right numbers (GE they were right, they couldn't admit it - they told me Tory 312 seats on election morning). Main point is those saying they are UKIP voters are not high enough. But if turnout is low, they might win. Certainly all canvass returns, all election have said Labour, but!!
  • Options

Just bookies using the opportunity to balance their books
  • Options

In respect of the people represented by those arrows, it comprises taking 20,000 asylum seekers over 5 years, but mostly direct from refugee camps in the region of origin.

What's UKIP's policy?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Still far fewer than voted for Dubya's war in 2003.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

To be fair no. He had said he will campaign to leave us he doesn't get a deal but he didn't put a time limit on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

MP_SE said:

No I don't think he did. I think he said he was hopeful of a deal this month but it will be difficult. We have a deadline of two more years for the referendum.

If he said what you think then I'd love to see a source for that.
    Miss Plato has the answer. He said he would campaign to leave if he was unable to restrict benefits for migrants. I have switched off from all things EU so not fully up to speed.
  • Options

In respect of the people represented by those arrows, it comprises taking 20,000 asylum seekers over 5 years, but mostly direct from refugee camps in the region of origin.

What's UKIP's policy?
    Approx 300000 came from outside the EU last year which is why I queried what our migration policy is. If you don't know, just say "I don't know".

• Options
    Sounds like the Lib Dem deposit bet will be a squeaker.
  • Options
    Anyone even remotely sane will accept that there have been some events recently which will have meant that our EU renegotiations haven't exactly been the highest priority of key leaders such as François Hollande.
  • Options

Maybe if you paid less attention to hysterical propaganda and more to the news you'd be aware. 20k over five years.
  • Options

Scottish council elections not till 2017.
  • Options

Which suggests money for Ukip, odd

• Options
    taffys said:

War? We are not at war.
  • Options
    I severly doubt bookies have taken much on the Labour side tbh - casual punters don't really go for that and no tales of "serious money" (£10,000 placed on Labour @ 1-8 e.g.) that you normally get from a by-election.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015

What's UKIP's policy?
    Approx 300000 came from outside the EU last year which is why I queried what our migration policy is. If you don't know, just say "I don't know".

I know exactly what the government's policy is, indeed I wrote a paper on the subject recently. I'll send you a copy if you like.

I've no idea what UKIP's policy is, though. Some people in UKIP seem to think that the UK leaving the EU would somehow make a difference in respect of the migration crisis, but I haven't the faintest idea how they arrive at that bizarre conclusion. Perhaps you can explain?
  • Options

Anyone even remotely sane will accept that there have been some events recently which will have meant that our EU renegotiations haven't exactly been the highest priority of key leaders such as François Hollande.

Totally agree
  • Options
    Mr Salmond must have missed the tweet sent last night by Stewart McDonald, a younger but evidently more mature SNP colleague.

“I voted differently to Hilary Benn,” wrote Mr McDonald, the MP for Glasgow South. “Using his father’s death to make a political point – ‘spinning in his grave’ – is repulsive.”

Well, well. We have a Commons first: an SNP MP, expressing a different view from his superiors.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/12031546/Hilary-Benns-speech-and-an-insult-that-shames-Alex-Salmond.html
  • Options

MP_SE said:

To be fair no. He had said he will campaign to leave us he doesn't get a deal but he didn't put a time limit on it.
    There's an effective 18 month deadline on a deal I believe. Since there is a 2 year deadline on the referendum and I believe the Electoral Commission demands a six month period for the run up to the referendum.
  • Options

Most people back the outsiders in contests like this. That's not always correct (I think it is here), but it is human nature.
  • Options

What's UKIP's policy?

I know exactly what the government's policy is, indeed I wrote a paper on the subject recently. I'll send you a copy if you like.

I've no idea what UKIP's policy is, though. Some people in UKIP seem to think that the UK leaving the EU would somehow make a difference in respect of the migration crisis, but I haven't the faintest idea how they arrive at that bizarre conclusion. Perhaps you can explain?
    Thanks, I'd like to see a copy of that document.

Does it pledge to admit 600000 to the UK with a net figure of 300000?

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465
    edited December 2015

Mike

My understanding is that Oldham turnout very much on low side. Postal voter ‰age points to below 30-40%

Any reason you've gone for per mille rather than per cent?

If PV turnout is low, that could be bad for Labour. That said, is it still raining in Oldham? (no Pope catholic comments please!)
  • Options

Scottish council elections not till 2017.
    Ah right thanks.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    MTimT said:

philiph said:

Just seen a Facebook message, Earthquake in Taiwan - a one word message. Hope it isn't a big one.

Apparently a 5.1 at 33km ESE of Taitung City.
    Thanks. Not a reassuring pattern with three in quick succession.
  • Options

It doesn't pledge or advocate anything, but explores the figures and the choices. If you VanillaMail me your email address, I'll happily send you a copy.
  • Options

It doesn't pledge or advocate anything, but explores the figures and the choices. If you VanillaMail me your email address, I'll happily send you a copy.
    What's vanilla mail?

We're going round in circles here, I simply want you to tell me what govt migration policy is, you've written a paper on it. If the policy is to admit 600000 a year I'd say they're doing very well and on target.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
    edited December 2015
    Heywood and Middleton by-election in 2014 was

Lab 40.9
    UKIP 38.7
    Con 12.3
    LD 5.1
    Grn 3.1

Majority 617 votes
    turnout 36%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heywood_and_Middleton_by-election,_2014
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Mr Kirkup agrees with many here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12031274/Calm-down.-Hilary-Benn-isnt-going-to-be-Labour-leader-its-still-Jeremy-Corbyns-party.html
    Hilary Benn isn’t going to become Labour leader. His speech backing war in Syria does not mark a turning point in Labour history or the moment that the party wakes up to the idiocy of Corbynism and starts the long painful march back to the centre ground. It was a good speech, easily the best of the day. But really, it wasn’t much more than that.
  • Options

Lab 40.9
    UKIP 38.7
    Con 12.3
    LD 5.1
    Grn 3.1

Majority 617 votes
    turnout 36%

"Keep your mitts off our NHS !"
  • Options
    Miss Plato, you are cruel. Labour's been crying out for some hope since Corbyn's shocking victory.
  • Options
    Very quiet on the Oldham West and Royton front – too quiet…..!
  • Options

Miss Plato, you are cruel. Labour's been crying out for some hope since Corbyn's shocking victory.

Probably some of those "hopefuls" piling into him at 5-2 on Betfair last night.
  • Options

Mr nabavi this is what you said a little while ago:

I know exactly what the government's policy is

Therefore please confirm that it involves net migration figures of 300000+ per year. I'd like to judge how successful the govt has been on one of it's key pledges, as somebody who has written a paper on the subject I assume you can help me out.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    taffys said:

The Tory non-bombers would have been a lot higher had there been a free vote.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I see that Farhia in Walthamstow has removed her bottling tweet.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Most people back the outsiders in contests like this. That's not always correct (I think it is here), but it is human nature.
    It could mean bloody anything. It could be one overenthusiastic UKIP supporter who has put £500 on and would have taken any odds.

It's not worth speculating on.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Because he had the support of his constituency party, maybe ? Geddit ?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Mike

If PV turnout is low, that could be bad for Labour. That said, is it still raining in Oldham? (no Pope catholic comments please!)
    as of 4pm heavy rain according to met office
  • Options
    Apparently there is a call doing the rounds on social media for a minute of noise at 7pm tonight against bombing ISIL. Go out of the house and bang a pan. I think the Icelandic people did something like this over banking scandals a few years back.
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB: I'm getting more info about the very poor turnout in Oldham. Could be sub 30%. Question is who that favours
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015

Therefore please confirm that it involves net migration figures of 300000+ per year. I'd like to judge how successful the govt has been on one of it's key pledges, as somebody who has written a paper on the subject I assume you can help me out.

The government failed to meet its targets. Is that all you are saying? Everyone knows that, and the reasons have been well explored. The question is: what policies should be adopted. In particular, were we to leave the EU, what difference would it make? Obviously, zero difference to non-EEA migration, a point which the Kippers seem oddly incapable of getting their heads round. And quite probably very little difference to EU migration, depending on the nature the trade deal we negotiated with our EU friends (you know, the same ones whom Cameron is negotiating with).
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB · 15s16 seconds ago
    I'm getting more info about the very poor turnout in Oldham. Could be sub 30%. Question is who that favours

Those turnout bets are looking handy.
  • Options

Apparently there is a call doing the rounds on social media for a minute of noise at 7pm tonight against bombing ISIL. Go out of the house and bang a pan. I think the Icelandic people did something like this over banking scandals a few years back.

Will report back if I hear anything.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Probably some of those "hopefuls" piling into him at 5-2 on Betfair last night.
    If anyone wants to take 3.35 I suspect my second batch is still available :)
  • Options

I'm getting more info about the very poor turnout in Oldham. Could be sub 30%. Question is who that favours

If you got <45% yes.

Mostly things look quiet until the post-work rush.

Hard to gauge until then, when, or course, things will mostly be over.

Not clear who low turnout favours.

The LibDems saving their deposit?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Will report back if I hear anything.
    Not really the weather for it frankly. Still it is a better idea than 100s of people standing outside a single, female MPs house at night shouting abuse and death threats. Maybe progress is being made.
  • Options

Apparently there is a call doing the rounds on Socialist media for a minute of noise at 7pm tonight against bombing ISIL. Go out of the house and bang a pan. I think the Icelandic people did something like this over banking scandals a few years back.

:lol:
  • Options

The government failed to meet its targets. Is that all you are saying? Everyone knows that, and the reasons have been well explored. The question is: what policies should be adopted. In particular, were we to leave the EU, what difference would it make? Obviously, zero difference to non-EEA migration, a point which the Kippers seem oddly incapable of getting their heads round. And quite probably very little difference to EU migration, depending on the nature the trade deal we negotiated with our EU friends (you know, the same ones whom Cameon is negotiating with).
    Lame Mr Nabavi, you stated quite clearly that

now you're prevaricating and obfuscating. Anyway, thanks for your help.

• Options

Mike

Blame Mike.

I can confirm from my vantage point in Central Manchester it is pissing it down all over here and the Pennines.

This does not bold well for Labour and turnout.

My Kipper and turnout bets could be winners tonight.
  • Options

Certainly looking the pick of the bunch right now.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MSmithsonPB: I'm getting more info about the very poor turnout in Oldham. Could be sub 30%. Question is who that favours

Must favour labour, postal votes win it for them which is hardly breaking news.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Lab 40.9
    UKIP 38.7
    Con 12.3
    LD 5.1
    Grn 3.1

Majority 617 votes
    turnout 36%

"Keep your mitts off our NHS !"
    5.5 hours to save Oldham West!
  • Options

Mike

Blame Mike.

I can confirm from my vantage point in Central Manchester it is pissing it down all over here and the Pennines.

Tories should have got the postal vote out too I'm guessing ?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, but Labour can count on the probably helpful postal votes.

Hmm.

As rain thwarted Zhuge Liang's plan to incinerate Sima Yi, could rain thwart Corbyn?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Nice. Wasn't Ladbrokes originally offering over/under 40-odd?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I am sure your paper is jolly erudite and worth reading. Politically though the issue is quite simple and doesn't require too much study. Cameron said his government will reduce net immigration to below 100,000 pa. it is currently running at above 300,000 and the last set of figures showed an increase not a decrease.

There is performance and there are excuses. Cameron has failed and is failing to perform to the criteria he himself set.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

Probably, although it's unfortunate that is the case. Even the most loyal should be willing to rebel on matters like that. My MP, namechecked in Benn's speech, stated in the debate he has only rebelled against his party literally once, in the 2003 vote.
  • Options

A wonderful insight into the Kipperish mind: explaining that life is not as simplistic as the Kippers think is 'prevaricating and obfuscating'.

What one actually needs to do is to analyse the problem in some detail - immigration is not a simple matter at all, with different groups of people coming here (and leaving here) in varying numbers for different reasons, and driven by different factors. But of course, you're not interested in any of that.
  • Options

Good luck with that, - there’ll be a hell of a racket in Islington North – but that’s about it...
  • Options

FFS I doubled down on my Labour bet. I am due a huge loss as I have been far too lucky.
  • Options

I believe that's a common form of protest in south america isn't it?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mike

Blame Mike.

Yup. Postal voting benefits the Tories the most as a whole.

That's why they haven't reduced the availability of postal voting.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,170
    Do we know what %age of the electorate have postal votes?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Nice. Wasn't Ladbrokes originally offering over/under 40-odd?
    They had the line at 45 !
  • Options

Politically though the issue is quite simple and doesn't require too much study. Cameron said his government will reduce net immigration to below 100,000 pa. it is currently running at above 300,000 and the last set of figures showed an increase not a decrease.

There is performance and there are excuses. Cameron has failed and is failing to perform to the criteria he himself set.

True enough. However, the question is: does any other party have a better idea of what to do? One which is feasible and makes sense, I mean.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Do we know what %age of the electorate have postal votes?

The Tories :D
  • Options
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Mike

Blame Mike.

Really? I had wondered, given it's potentially problematic and definitely overused nature.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Not sure this does favour Labour to be honest - looks like no reaction to Hilary in terms of turnout.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

Probably. That's why they use a whip for matters of importance and weight. Tricky to govern effectively if you're constantly trying to herd (geddit) 330-odd cats.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Mike

Blame Mike.

Really? I had wondered, given it's potentially problematic and definitely overused nature.
    Old dears forget to vote. Postal voting ensures they don't forget.
  • Options

A wonderful insight into the Kipperish mind: explaining that life is not as simplistic as the Kippers think is 'prevaricating and obfuscating'.

What one actually needs to do is to analyse the problem in some detail - immigration is not a simple matter at all, with different groups of people coming here (and leaving here) in varying numbers for different reasons, and driven by different factors. But of course, you're not interested in any of that.
    While net migration is doubly complicated. Under the perverse logic of wanting low net migration more people enjoying life in the UK so deciding against emigrating is a failure.
This discussion has been closed.