Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Walrun Phil says the Syria vote could decide the LAB succes

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Also some favourability numbers

Net Favorability w/ Millenials:
    Carson +3
    Rubio +2
    Cruz -6
    Kasich -11
    ROMNEY (2011) -15
    Chrisite -18
    Jeb -20
    Trump -33
    https://twitter.com/adrian_gray

What's a "millennial"? First time I've seen the term.
    Truly? It's 15-30 year olds, broadly. Every generation needs a name, and I guess after Gen X, Gen Y, people thought Gen Z would just be stupid.
    Speedy said:

90 minutes to go:

Daniel Hewitt ‏@DanielHewittITV 13m13 minutes ago
    The heavens have opened In Oldham, a downpour of biblical proportions. Turnout is going to be very, very low.

HYUFD said:

Carson +3
    Rubio +2
    Cruz -6
    Kasich -11
    ROMNEY (2011) -15
    Chrisite -18
    Jeb -20
    Trump -33

What's a "millennial"? First time I've seen the term.
    Those who are old enough to vote after 2000.
    Basically anyone born after 1982.
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,372
    edited December 2015
    Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

Let me guess, tax avoidance purposes?
    It is!
    Shock, multi-billionaire founding his own charity foundation and moving his entire fortune to it to avoid taxes.
    What bit of giving away most of his fortune do you not understand?

I'm increasingly thinking the insidious comments of the left about tax are just based on jealously....

Because he isn't, thats the point here. He has formed an LLC to put the money into.

I am sure he is going to do a lot for good causes, but it isn't a straight give away as the PR would suggest.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,164
    edited December 2015

The Windors? Before them the Hanoverians? You wouldn't Charles was a shining example, would you?

Edward III was a much better king than his Dad (unless you were French of course). Henry IV was a bit of a shit but his boy was very good (again unless you were French). Charles II was a better in the job that Charles I (but then so would Mad Jock McMad winner of Mr. Madman competition 1640 had he been given the chance). Winston Churchill was a rather more successful politician than his father (even if you were French - which makes a change).

One can always find examples of political dynasties when the son does better than the father or the reverse if you want.
    Hmmm. Always exceptions, I agree. Agree about Charles II on all counts. Could argue that George VI did a better job as the father of the next Monarch than his father.
    I am still trying to work that out, Mr. C. George IV was succeeded by his brother (who was only three years his junior) so he didn't father the next monarch. So by not producing an heir to the throne he did better than his father who produced him. I have a got that right?
    Er, No. George VI was the son of George V, who is alleged to have said that he was afraid of his father and he was going to make damn sure his sons were afraid of him. Which resulted in Edward's behaviour and George VI's stammer.
    George VI of course only had daughters and, one way and another seems to have instilled a sense of duty into them, although it went awry in the case of his younger daiughter.
    I do apologise, Mr. Cole. I read George IV not George VI in your original post. Sorry about that.

I quite take your point now and agree that George V was a bit of an odd cove (he last words were reputed to have been "Bugger Bognor") and who suffered under the lash of Queen Victoria's dysfunctional family (I am sure the old girl was off her head or, maybe, just a plain selfish old bitch).

I also think it a tragedy that George VI died so young.
    Mr Lama, I suspected that was the case, and in principle we are in agreement Charitably I would suggest that Victoria's untimely widowhood derailed her, and the fact that the future Edward VII was chronically unable to keep it in his trousers didn't help!
    George V's "Bugger Bognor" statement was allegedly in reponse to a suggestion that he go there for the sea air. Or so I understand!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2015
    @AnneJGP

"Going badly" could mean many things other than what you describe. Assads forces or the Russians downing RAF planes, ground troops going in and getting bogged down in scrappy house to house fighting, prisoners being held hostage, or simply the war weariness that comes on the public where there are deaths of UK forces being read out before PMQs each week.

One of the problems of a limited mandate as this is that there is plenty of time for support to slip before we do send in the ground troops. If we are to make war, then we should have decided to go to war using unlimited force .
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,319
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Net Favorability w/ Latino voters:
    Rubio +3
    Carson +2
    Cruz -7
    Jeb -8
    ROMNEY (2011) -11
    Christie -12
    Kasich -12
    Trump -46

Net Favorability w/ White voters:
    Carson +11
    Rubio +5
    ROMNEY (2011) +5
    Cruz -3
    Trump -6
    Kasich -14
    Chrisite -18
    Jeb -27

Net Favorability w/ Women:
    Carson +6
    Rubio +1
    ROMNEY (2011) -5
    Cruz -8
    Kasich -9
    Chrisite -15
    Jeb -24
    Trump -26

Carson +3
    Rubio +2
    Cruz -6
    Kasich -11
    ROMNEY (2011) -15
    Chrisite -18
    Jeb -20
    Trump -33

What matters though is how those minorities vote not their favourability ratings.

Romney might have had a -11 favourables with Latinos, but in the end only 1 in 4 voted for him, he lost them by 44 points.
    And Trump regularly gets more votes than Rubio with Latinos in the opinion polls, despite the huge gap.

It simply illustrates that having high favourables in a voting group that will never vote for you anyway is a waste of time.
    No he doesn't, Trump polls abysmally with Latinos, eg in that Quinnipiac poll I posted earlier he gets just 13% of Latinos vs Hillary's 76%, Rubio gets 18% to Hillary's 69%, still not great but better
    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2307
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If rain puts people off voting, as is accepted wisdom, people had best hope there isn't heavy rain during the PCC elections next year. Although suppose only the very dedicated did in any case, but if it impacts it further it might undermine the role. Which I would not mind in the least, but even so.

I remember the last PCC elections.
    When I voted around 6pm, I was the first voter they had seen for getting on for 90 minutes.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

It is!
    Shock, multi-billionaire founding his own charity foundation and moving his entire fortune to it to avoid taxes.

I'm increasingly thinking the insidious comments of the left about tax are just based on jealously....

Because he isn't, thats the point here. He has formed an LLC to put the money into.

I am sure he is going to do a lot for good causes, but it isn't a straight give away as the PR would suggest.
    Using an LLC structure he is able to engage in lobbying.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited December 2015
    Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

It is!

He's giving it to his own charity foundation which he controls, he can now own 99% of Facebook from his own charity but not paying any taxes on it.
    It's a very usual accounting trick.

I've been to a party once, held in a really luxurious giant villa full with marble columns, gold leaf and stuff and huge giant swimming pools in the countryside, that was the HQ of a charity foundation of the owner of a major accountancy firm.
    Of course he uses it as a front to avoid paying any taxes, after all if you own an accounting firm you can use all the tricks in the book.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Why don't they list Fiorina? She's still polling above Christie and Kasich.

She is not in the top tier though and has faded
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

kle4 said:

If rain puts people off voting, as is accepted wisdom, people had best hope there isn't heavy rain during the PCC elections next year. Although suppose only the very dedicated did in any case, but if it impacts it further it might undermine the role. Which I would not mind in the least, but even so.

When I voted around 6pm, I was the first voter they had seen for getting on for 90 minutes.

I think there were one or two polling stations in the country that saw literally no-one. I hope they allow poll clerks to bring books with them.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: BREAKING: Alex Salmond refuses to apologise for saying Tony Benn would be "birling in his grave" at his son Hilary's Syria speech.

Why should he apologise.

He's spot on the money. Tony Benn would be devastated to see his son vote to send British troops into harms way without any benefit from that action and the likely killing of plenty more civilians.

Hilary is a disgrace to his family name. He should be the first name on the Labour cull. They can't continue with a party filled with Red Tories. They know where that will take them, after all, Scotland will be fresh in their minds.
    On the other hand, here's the impartial judgement of someone writing more than a year ago:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2014/03/14/tony-benn-someones-friend-and-mentor/

"One of the attractive aspects of Tony

Who to believe, Alex Salmond or someone who knew him personally for many years?
    It is perfectly consistent for someone to offer their offspring completely free reign in their life choices but still be disappointed at some of the choices they might make. There is a considerable difference between telling and hoping.

Either Benn's entire political life was one of hypocrisy and ideas he did not believe in or he would be disappointed that. while trying to persuade the public in general, he failed to even persuade his own son.
    Long walk from '[Tony Benn] would be disappointed' to 'Hilary is a disgrace to his family name', but entirely expected.
    I think he'd be quite pleased that his son was his own man.
    Benn was alive when his son voted for the Iraq War and did not disown him
    I am a bit surprised that people from the Corbyn wing have not thrown that at Benn rather more forcefully in the context of everything else that has been happening. How did he justify supporting a war of British and American aggression given the lack of UN support? Many would argue that the 2003 attack rather mirrored the Fascist dictators he spent time condemning in his speech. Perhaps this is yet to come.
    Indeed, in retrospect that was the wrong call but it was Cabinet Collective Responsibility at the time which was why Cook and Short resigned
    Clare Short only resigned later - had she done so at the same time as Cook it is likely that Blair would have been much more damaged at the time - and the Labour rebellion even greater.
    That is true
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Exit polls suggest that Danish voters have voted against adopting EU rules strengthening cross-border policing.

Who would vote to give the EU more power over their affairs?
    Of course they voted NO.
    According to Alan Johnson the EU keeps us safe and prevents terrorism.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    What exactly did Cameron say? I thought he said words along the lines of:

"Don't vote "No" with terrorist sympathisers"

But that does not mean he implied everyone voting "No" was a terrorist sympathiser - just that SOME of the people voting "No" were terrorist sympathisers.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:

watford30 said:

SeanT said:

If it is proven to be terrorism, I wonder if this might push Trump over the line.

It would be the biggest terror attack on the US homeland since 9/11

It's a very odd target for a terrorist attack, though.
    Perhaps they were planning on staging an attack somewhere else, but the red mist of anger descended and the office party became a new target?
    Possibly, yes. Or maybe they were freelancers acting on their own initiative rather than directly controlled by some organisation. That is one of the most difficult scenarios for the security services.
    Last night ISIS or whatever we are meant to call them said they were not responsible but welcomed the attack

I didn't post it as it was late and I didn't want to argue / isn't in my interests to cause trouble with the people saying it was white supremacists

These kind of attacks are the ones I fear now we are bombing Syria or at least the anger it stokes up within parts of the muslim population. Obviously ISIS we're going to try and bomb us anyway

Let me see if I have this straight. They attack us, but the West shouldn't retaliate in case we get attacked.

Well, its a view ......
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: BREAKING: Alex Salmond refuses to apologise for saying Tony Benn would be "birling in his grave" at his son Hilary's Syria speech.

Why should he apologise.

He's spot on the money. Tony Benn would be devastated to see his son vote to send British troops into harms way without any benefit from that action and the likely killing of plenty more civilians.

Hilary is a disgrace to his family name. He should be the first name on the Labour cull. They can't continue with a party filled with Red Tories. They know where that will take them, after all, Scotland will be fresh in their minds.
    On the other hand, here's the impartial judgement of someone writing more than a year ago:

It is perfectly consistent for someone to offer their offspring completely free reign in their life choices but still be disappointed at some of the choices they might make. There is a considerable difference between telling and hoping.

Either Benn's entire political life was one of hypocrisy and ideas he did not believe in or he would be disappointed that. while trying to persuade the public in general, he failed to even persuade his own son.
    Long walk from '[Tony Benn] would be disappointed' to 'Hilary is a disgrace to his family name', but entirely expected.
    I am a bit surprised that people from the Corbyn wing have not thrown that at Benn rather more forcefully in the context of everything else that has been happening. How did he justify supporting a war of British and American aggression given the lack of UN support? Many would argue that the 2003 attack rather mirrored the Fascist dictators he spent time condemning in his speech. Perhaps this is yet to come.
    Indeed, in retrospect that was the wrong call but it was Cabinet Collective Responsibility at the time which was why Cook and Short resigned
    Ah, the days of Labour collective responsibility!
    Corbyn should have perhaps held the line
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    Speedy said:

Of course he uses it as a front to avoid paying any taxes, after all if you own an accounting firm you can use all the tricks in the book.

You've got farmers and accountancy firms mixed up Speedy :)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited December 2015
    Floater said:

isam said:

watford30 said:

SeanT said:

If it is proven to be terrorism, I wonder if this might push Trump over the line.

It would be the biggest terror attack on the US homeland since 9/11

It's a very odd target for a terrorist attack, though.
    Perhaps they were planning on staging an attack somewhere else, but the red mist of anger descended and the office party became a new target?
    Possibly, yes. Or maybe they were freelancers acting on their own initiative rather than directly controlled by some organisation. That is one of the most difficult scenarios for the security services.
    Last night ISIS or whatever we are meant to call them said they were not responsible but welcomed the attack

I didn't post it as it was late and I didn't want to argue / isn't in my interests to cause trouble with the people saying it was white supremacists

These kind of attacks are the ones I fear now we are bombing Syria or at least the anger it stokes up within parts of the muslim population. Obviously ISIS we're going to try and bomb us anyway

Let me see if I have this straight. They attack us, but the West shouldn't retaliate in case we get attacked.

Well, its a view ......
    "Well it's a view..." The top trump of smuggery, well played

Did I say we shouldn't attack in case we get attacked there? I don't think I did actually
  • Options
    edited December 2015

kle4 said:

They are being held on the same day as the local elections next year in May rather than on their own in November like last time, so expect a higher turnout for the second PCC elections
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I see Labour is now 7/1 on now with Betfred and Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I put some money on Labour @1.22 for the by-election about 3 hours ago. They are now in to 1.14 - has there been news as to why?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Rubio +3
    Carson +2
    Cruz -7
    Jeb -8
    ROMNEY (2011) -11
    Christie -12
    Kasich -12
    Trump -46

Carson +11
    Rubio +5
    ROMNEY (2011) +5
    Cruz -3
    Trump -6
    Kasich -14
    Chrisite -18
    Jeb -27

Carson +6
    Rubio +1
    ROMNEY (2011) -5
    Cruz -8
    Kasich -9
    Chrisite -15
    Jeb -24
    Trump -26

Carson +3
    Rubio +2
    Cruz -6
    Kasich -11
    ROMNEY (2011) -15
    Chrisite -18
    Jeb -20
    Trump -33

What matters though is how those minorities vote not their favourability ratings.

Romney might have had a -11 favourables with Latinos, but in the end only 1 in 4 voted for him, he lost them by 44 points.
    And Trump regularly gets more votes than Rubio with Latinos in the opinion polls, despite the huge gap.

It simply illustrates that having high favourables in a voting group that will never vote for you anyway is a waste of time.
    No he doesn't, Trump polls abysmally with Latinos, eg in that Quinnipiac poll I posted earlier he gets just 13% of Latinos vs Hillary's 76%, Rubio gets 18% to Hillary's 69%, still not great but better
    http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2307
    I said regularly, not in all of them, but you prove my point.
    Rubio is doing 49 points better than Trump in favourability with Latinos, but only 5 points better with the votes of Latinos than Trump.
    Being more favorable doesn't translate into votes.
  • Options
    Could you imagine if Twitter had been around in 1939 ?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

It is!

Indeed, it is very generous, though Zuckerberg is worth $35 billion so will still have $350 million to play with even if he gives away 99% of his fortune to philanthropy and his daughter will still be a multi millionaire
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,302
    Speedy said:

Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

It is!

He's giving it to his own charity foundation which he controls, he can now own 99% of Facebook from his own charity but not paying any taxes on it.

I've been to a party once, held in a really luxurious giant villa full with marble columns, gold leaf and stuff and huge giant swimming pools in the countryside, that was the HQ of a charity foundation of the owner of a major accountancy firm.
    If I own shares and the shares don't pay a dividend, then what tax do I pay?
  • Options
    Have these hats suddenly become hugely popular or is it a Kipper thing?

https://twitter.com/GawainTowler/status/672437705268178945
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ken livingstone has morphed from an engaging cheeky chappie to something quite sinister. He's almost unrecognizable from the popular ex mayor of London

Then Roger you were not paying attention.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DMcCaffreySKY: BREAK: Labour MP @CoyleNeil calls in the Met Police over threatening tweet which threatens him being stab. https://t.co/RmtkvYgUZh
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

It is!

Indeed, it is very generous, though Zuckerberg is worth $35 billion so will still have $350 million to play with even if he gives away 99% of his fortune to philanthropy and his daughter will still be a multi millionaire
    He isn't giving the 99% away anytime soon. It is slowly over his lifetime and then his daughter also gets control of the LLC with the shares in.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,302

We've lost a few good people through untimely death. If Iain Macleod, Robin Cook and perhaps David Penhaligon had survived maybe British politics would be in a better state.

Interestingly, both Iain Macleod and David Penhaligon were on the Eurosceptic wings of their parties.

Is there a secret pro-EU death squad out there?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DMcCaffreySKY: BREAK: Labour MP @CoyleNeil calls in the Met Police over threatening tweet which threatens him being stab. https://t.co/RmtkvYgUZh

Charming.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Why should he apologise.

Your posts are very amusing at times, Dair.
    He is a troll.

He gets fed a hell of a lot on here.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    MikeL said:

What exactly did Cameron say? I thought he said words along the lines of:

"Don't vote "No" with terrorist sympathisers"

But that does not mean he implied everyone voting "No" was a terrorist sympathiser - just that SOME of the people voting "No" were terrorist sympathisers.

He reported to have said "bunch of terrorist sympathisers". I think Isabel Hardman was right that what he should have said was "pair of terrorist sympathisers" http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/12/jeremy-corbyn-gives-his-half-of-the-labour-response-to-syria/
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Speedy said:

Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

It is!

Compared to all those embassies and government buildings - they're always dumps....

Oh, wait....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Why should he apologise.

It is perfectly consistent for someone to offer

I am a bit surprised that people from the Corbyn wing have not thrown that at .
    We've lost a few good people through untimely death. If Iain Macleod, Robin Cook and perhaps David Penhaligon had survived maybe British politics would be in a better state.
    Perhaps a more interesting one would have been if Bryan Gould had won over John Smith in 1992 for Labour leadership. No leadership contest for Blair to win, no Granita pact with Brown, no "New Labour", a eurosceptic Labour government and no UK involvement in Gulf War 2. A very interesting alternative history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Gould
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

It's called Faragefasion.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Why should he apologise.

It is perfectly consistent for someone to offer

I am a bit surprised that people from the Corbyn wing have not thrown that at .
    Perhaps a more interesting one would have been if Bryan Gould had won over John Smith in 1992 for Labour leadership. No leadership contest for Blair to win, no Granita pact with Brown, no "New Labour", a eurosceptic Labour government and no UK involvement in Gulf War 2. A very interesting alternative history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Gould
    Or even if John Smith himself hadn't died in 1994.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

It is!

That's one of those tricks.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    MP_SE said:

I see a lot of kids (late teens/early 20s) wearing such hats at Arsenal games.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I put some money on Labour @1.22 for the by-election about 3 hours ago. They are now in to 1.14 - has there been news as to why?

Farage has been getting his excuses in early.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"Don't bomb Nazi Germany!"
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,372
    edited December 2015
    Who says BBC employees are all cut from the same cloth...

Kamal Ahmed named as Robert Peston replacement

Formerly business editor of the Sunday Telegraph, Ahmed has also worked for The Guardian, The Observer and the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35000003
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MP_SE said:

Looks a bit of a jolly jape at the Lancs working class. Did they bring their whippets out to canvass too?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

"Don't bomb Nazi Germany!"
    Those scumbags, if they ever come around my way I will kill them...What the Nazi's...No...Those bast##d MPs who voted to bomb the Nazi's.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,774
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

The Norway Debate would have been a hoot.

God knows how Operation Neptune would have panned out with twitter and social media tweeting/posting all the details.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Even Patrick O'Flynn is getting in on the action:

https://twitter.com/GawainTowler/status/672368485809446912
  • Options
    Roger said:

Dair

"Hilary is a disgrace to his family name"

What a childish thing to say. Sort of comment I'd expect from a Tory..

Oh, the lack of self awareness is truly something to behold.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Eight quid for a coat?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Deleted
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267
    justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

@SimonMoores: Tweeting photos of dead babies to #Labour MPs 'Is a new kind of correspondence' Bianca Todd #Momentum @Channel4News https://t.co/mnidgWlRKC

It is not exactly threatening them though is it - merely seeking to remind them of the potential consequences of their actions.
    Can we also send them pictures of young Yazidi girls raped to death and gay men after they've been thrown off a tall building and a man having his head sliced off by a knife - merelyseeking to remind them of the actual consequences of their inactions?

I mean, sauce for the goose and all that, no?

• Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Rubio +3
    Carson +2
    Cruz -7
    Jeb -8
    ROMNEY (2011) -11
    Christie -12
    Kasich -12
    Trump -46

Carson +11
    Rubio +5
    ROMNEY (2011) +5
    Cruz -3
    Trump -6
    Kasich -14
    Chrisite -18
    Jeb -27

Carson +6
    Rubio +1
    ROMNEY (2011) -5
    Cruz -8
    Kasich -9
    Chrisite -15
    Jeb -24
    Trump -26

Carson +3
    Rubio +2
    Cruz -6
    Kasich -11
    ROMNEY (2011) -15
    Chrisite -18
    Jeb -20
    Trump -33

Rubio is doing 49 points better than Trump in favourability with Latinos, but only 5 points better with the votes of Latinos than Trump.
    Well you are correct on that but then George W Bush won 44% of Hispanics in 2004 and won Romney won the highest share of the white vote since Bush Snr but only 25% of Hispanics and lost which gives the GOP's problem in a nutshell
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

18:18 - Nigel Farage isn't too confident about the postal votes, Laura Hughes reports.

Speaking in UKIP's Royton headquarters, Nigel Farage told journalists: "If this was taking place today in one of dozens of other constituencies in the north of England we would have won it comfortably.

"The reason it's close and the reason I can't be confident about the postal votes is because in this constituency there is a particular block vote that is a very difficult demographic for UKIP."

Asked on where he he was referring to Asians voters as this "block vote", he said: "I'm going to say nothing because otherwise you'll all scream at me."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/parliamentary-constituencies/oldham-west-and-royton/12031040/oldham-west-royton-by-election-results.html#update-20151203-1511

Farage getting his excuses in early.
    What is he wrong about? (other than assuming they'd have won comfortably in any other northern constituency)
    Maybe just maybe if he was a tad less xenophobic that demographic wouldn't be so difficult for him.
    Rubbish, Muslims are solid Labour territory. The Tories can't even make inroads let alone UKIP.
    Segregated meetings? no problem to Labour just hand over the postal vote forms.
  • Options

Who says BBC employees are all cut from the same cloth...

Kamal Ahmed named as Robert Peston replacement

Formerly business editor of the Sunday Telegraph, Ahmed has also worked for The Guardian, The Observer and the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35000003

He was formerly the Political Editor of The Observer newspaper..... So he must be a Thatcherite then?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

@SimonMoores: Tweeting photos of dead babies to #Labour MPs 'Is a new kind of correspondence' Bianca Todd #Momentum @Channel4News https://t.co/mnidgWlRKC

It is not exactly threatening them though is it - merely seeking to remind them of the potential consequences of their actions.
    Can we also send them pictures of young Yazidi girls raped to death and gay men after they've been thrown off a tall building and a man having his head sliced off by a knife - merelyseeking to remind them of the actual consequences of their inactions?

I mean, sauce for the goose and all that, no?

I totally agree.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

MP_SE said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Eight quid for a coat?
    How is that even possible.

Interestingly one of those Corbyn is a risk leaflets is in the shop window.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

It is!

Capital gains tax & stamp duty when you buy them ?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

18:18 - Nigel Farage isn't too confident about the postal votes, Laura Hughes reports.

Speaking in UKIP's Royton headquarters, Nigel Farage told journalists: "If this was taking place today in one of dozens of other constituencies in the north of England we would have won it comfortably.

"The reason it's close and the reason I can't be confident about the postal votes is because in this constituency there is a particular block vote that is a very difficult demographic for UKIP."

Asked on where he he was referring to Asians voters as this "block vote", he said: "I'm going to say nothing because otherwise you'll all scream at me."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/parliamentary-constituencies/oldham-west-and-royton/12031040/oldham-west-royton-by-election-results.html#update-20151203-1511

What is he wrong about? (other than assuming they'd have won comfortably in any other northern constituency)
    Maybe just maybe if he was a tad less xenophobic that demographic wouldn't be so difficult for him.
    Rubbish, Muslims are solid Labour territory. The Tories can't even make inroads let alone UKIP.
    Segregated meetings? no problem to Labour just hand over the postal vote forms.
    For ease, hand them all over to one person, he'll make sure they are completed correctly.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Del Boy in UKIP. Lovely Jubbly, you know it makes sense.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Eight quid for a coat?
    It's the DelBoy look

http://dailyfeed.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Langmead-delboy-promo-43.jpg
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

It is!

Capital gains tax & stamp duty when you buy them ?
    Only apply if you buy or sell. I think the Facebook shares have not changed hands.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited December 2015
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Eight quid for a coat?

Looks like a campaign office.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Alistair said:

Tory source on the ground, not even close..... Labour comfortable hold.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Del Boy in UKIP. Lovely Jubbly, you know it makes sense.
    http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/12/19/1419003585323/Nigel-Farage-arrives-at-t-010.jpg

Nige likes the old Del Boy style jacket...plus the drinking and smoking of course.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Looks a bit of a jolly jape at the Lancs working class. Did they bring their whippets out to canvass too?

Dr Sox: I saw your request too late last night so you may have missed my response. The link to the paper is here: http://www.nature.com/news/biological-research-rethink-biosafety-1.18747
  • Options

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Do you think Nigel xenophobic and if so why?
    Yes I do and because of some of his remarks. I think when he's on top of his game he puts a veneer on it but I think he is. I think his party much more so. He is a more Middle Class and much more polished xenophobe than others so I wouldn't compare him to many other politicians. Puts the polite face on it.
    So you provide no evidence why you just say he is. Of the ukip MEPs perhaps you can list the xenophobes too, seeing as the party is more xenophobic still.

Perhaps you mean Suzanne Evans

This isn't a court room so no "evidence". You asked if I think he is and yes I do. As for why by what he has said.
  • Options
    notme said:

Alistair said:

Corbynism sweeping the nation...
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Rubio +3
    Carson +2
    Cruz -7
    Jeb -8
    ROMNEY (2011) -11
    Christie -12
    Kasich -12
    Trump -46

Carson +11
    Rubio +5
    ROMNEY (2011) +5
    Cruz -3
    Trump -6
    Kasich -14
    Chrisite -18
    Jeb -27

Carson +6
    Rubio +1
    ROMNEY (2011) -5
    Cruz -8
    Kasich -9
    Chrisite -15
    Jeb -24
    Trump -26

Carson +3
    Rubio +2
    Cruz -6
    Kasich -11
    ROMNEY (2011) -15
    Chrisite -18
    Jeb -20
    Trump -33

Well you are correct on that but then George W Bush won 44% of Hispanics in 2004 and won Romney won the highest share of the white vote since Bush Snr but only 25% of Hispanics and lost which gives the GOP's problem in a nutshell
    True, but look at the states that matter, and the percentage of Latinos:
    Colorado 21.2
    Iowa: 5.6
    Ohio: 3.5
    Nevada: 27.8
    Pennsylvania: 6.6
    Michigan: 4.8
    Virginia: 8.9
    N.Carolina: 9
    Minnesota: 5.1
    Florida: 24.1 (special case, those Latinos are Cuban not Mexican, Cuban's vote differently)

As you can see only Colorado and Nevada have high numbers of latino votes and they only have 6 and 9 Electoral Votes.
    The problem for the republicans is getting the white working class to vote for them again after the crash of 2008, not the minorities.
    Example look at Ohio, the drop in Latinos voting for the GOP only cost them max 0.7%, the GOP lost Ohio by much larger percentages than that.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Kangol caps were huge in the US about 7 years ago. Still see them around quite often, but not so cool as they were back then: http://www.kangolstore.com/wool-504.html
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Dr Sox: I saw your request too late last night so you may have missed my response. The link to the paper is here: http://www.nature.com/news/biological-research-rethink-biosafety-1.18747
    Thanks. I shall work my way through it.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    A little light entertainment while we wait for the polling stations to close: The Treaty of Westpahalia 1648:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5WcHbA8kjY
  • Options

MTimT said:

Thanks. I shall work my way through it.
    It's not a hard read. Nature editors made sure of that. :)
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015

notme said:

Alistair said:

UKIP are probably more loathed than Labour in Oldham.

Still, it doesn't stop Farage getting his excuses in early, and blaming the 'foreigners' and their 'dodgy voting'.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The problem for the republicans is getting the white working class to vote for them again after the crash of 2008, not the minorities.''

Correct.

The repubs want to scare all whites into voting for them, whatever class. It might work.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    watford30 said:

notme said:

Alistair said:

Still, it doesn't stop Farage getting his excuses in early, and blaming the 'foreigners' and their 'dodgy voting'.
    Great stuff! He hasn't 'said' any of 'those things'

We can assume you don't think that the muslim vote has won it for Labour as the Times reports? It's the reason anyone half shrewd didn't think UKIP could win

Or not a factor?
  • Options
    watford30 said:

notme said:

Alistair said:

Are you denying the existence of block voting? No doubt Lutfur Rahman was the victim of a racist smear campaign...
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

True, but look at the states that matter, and the percentage of Latinos:
    Colorado 21.2
    Iowa: 5.6
    Ohio: 3.5
    Nevada: 27.8
    Pennsylvania: 6.6
    Michigan: 4.8
    Virginia: 8.9
    N.Carolina: 9
    Minnesota: 5.1
    Florida: 24.1 (special case, those Latinos are Cuban not Mexican, Cuban's vote differently)

As you can see only Colorado and Nevada have high numbers of latino votes and they only have 6 and 9 Electoral Votes.
    The problem for the republicans is getting the white working class to vote for them again after the crash of 2008, not the minorities.
    Example look at Ohio, the drop in Latinos voting for the GOP only cost them max 0.7%, the GOP lost Ohio by much larger percentages than that.

One hundred percent agree. Romney failed not because he lost the Latino vote (he did and it is significant), nor because Obama maintained historically high levels of black voter turn out (he did) but because the GOP failed to get the white voter turnout needed. 1 million lost votes would have changed the outcome.
  • Options
    notme said:

Alistair said:

A Lib Dem source also had Labour winning it comfortably.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

watford30 said:

notme said:

Alistair said:

Are you denying the existence of block voting? No doubt Lutfur Rahman was the victim of a racist smear campaign...
    Seems there are lots of PC lefties in Watford...
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Eight quid for a coat?
    How is that even possible.

Not surprising. Considering there is a swarm of UKIP people there it could have been put in the window 5 minutes earlier.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

notme said:

Alistair said:

A Lib Dem source also had Labour winning it comfortably.
    They're probably cleaning up on Ukip!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Pulpstar said:

Comrade Stalin is liberating Poland from tyranny. #Don'tbombPoland.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,322
    isam said:
    I'm not saying you are wrong in this case, but nutjobs of all descriptions collect weapons:
    David Tovey, 37, was found guilty yesterday of two charges of racially aggravated criminal damage. He had hoarded pipe bombs, a Second World War Sten sub-machine gun, two shotguns, a silenced pistol and dum-dum bullets at his home in Oxfordshire.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/white-supremacist-hoarded-arsenal-of-guns-for-race-war-138876.html

Or this guy:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/richard-schmidt-detroit-hit-list_n_2765665.html

+ many more

I would hazard a guess that Mr Tovey might have gone a very different route if he had met a few different people, or read different websites. And that's the issue that concerns me: there are a small number of obsessive people who are looking for a cause, and will blindly give everything to that cause once they find it. In some cases it's religion; in others far-left or far-right politics. Or any other 'cause' you can think of.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015
    MP_SE said:

watford30 said:

notme said:

Alistair said:

'Oh woe', says Kipper. 'It's all the fault of dem Asians and their iffy voting of which we have no proof'.

Of course it's nothing to do with the voter repelling Farage, and Team Kip parading around Oldham all day in flat caps, taking the piss with a parody act of 'Northern Types'.
  • Options
    I would disagree with the assesment that the next leader will be someone who voted FOR airstrikes this week. The bitterness to the 66 who voted for Airstrikes is significant and the reaction to the Benn speech in my local party is VERY different to the press and media. A lot of Labour Party members in my CLP speak with bitterness about the Benn speech because he impugned the motives and values of Labour party members who disagreed with him. All i can say is that in my locality ( South Wales) i cant see any of the 66 for action winning an election for anything inside the Labour party for a very long time.
This discussion has been closed.