Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Walrun Phil says the Syria vote could decide the LAB succes

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Walrun Phil says the Syria vote could decide the LAB succession

As the odds on Hilary Benn succeeding Jeremy Corbyn shorten, the political betting market is clear in its prediction – that the successor to Corbyn is very likely to be one of those who supported air strikes in yesterday’s vote. Almost all of those with the shortest odds come from that camp – Benn at 4/1, Jarvis 9/2 and Watson 9/1.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Welcome Phil.
  • Options
    Someone took £40 off me at 3.35 yesterday on Benn.

What's the line again? Rushed in?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    The caption for Corbyn's thoughts

"Chat shit, get banged"
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Has Corbyn name checking a Syrian family in his speech had any fallout yet?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936

Someone took £40 off me at 3.35 yesterday on Benn.

What's the line again? Rushed in?

The great part about that is you can now lay others :)

Betfair lays:
    Dan Jarvis 5.75 £14.25 £67.73
    David Miliband 14.74 £9.72 £133.58
    Hilary Benn 4.92 £29.61 £116.21
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    This is a very readable and seemingly extremely sensible post.
  • Options
    Keir voted against military action?
  • Options
    That's a great picture.

Interesting article, Mr. Phil. Starmer was right behind Alan Johnson when the latter attacked Corbyn, and Starmer had a very serious/humourless expression on his face. Not convinced Starmer would be a sensible option (less bonkers than Corbyn, but still very leftish, perhaps).
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    Yes, I agree with Wulfrun on this. I posted on Benn's position near the end of the last thread, so I won't repeat myself on that.

As regards Keir Starmer specifically, the logic is good.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    I don't get the Starmer appeal. The man has no political experience and there is the potential for a huge amount of baggage from his time as DPP. Every decision made in his name at that time will be gone over - looking for things to use as an attack against him.

I also can't see Labour being comfortable with a Knight as leader. Doesn't really resonate well with some of their core supporters.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    It's going to be academic - Labour is now in a positive feedback loop of left-wing extremism. One key fact is that the Corbyn supporters are now so radicalised that they will not recognise the slump in the polls for what it is - it will all be the negative effects of the Blairites, and if they can get rid of them then they will do so much better. I'm not a betting man but it will become apparent that for many MPs it is going to be better to jump than be pushed. Once they realise that there is no chance of them being re-selected for 2020 then they will have no alternative.
  • Options

Keir voted against military action?

He is an interesting one at 10/15.5, neither backing nor laying him.
  • Options
    If anything should kill Corbyn off it ought to be that photo (I commented on it last night).

It may well be Benn is not interested in becoming leader.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Moses_ said:

Has Corbyn name checking a Syrian family in his speech had any fallout yet?

They've fallen out of a window?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DPJHodges: SNP members trying to use memory of his late father to attack Hilary Benn are revealing more about themselves than their target.

Like this guy...

@AdamBienkov: Alex Salmond says Hilary Benn's dad "would have been birling in his grave" if he heard his son's speech last night #lbc
  • Options
    Regrding Oldham and expectation management FPT

When the by election was announced, no one on here, including Antifrank, Richard Nabavi, Tissue Price, Pong, Pulpstar, ie the well regarded betting thinkers, as well as myself, thought it would be anything other than an easy Labour win

As it stands the opinion poll (Westminster VI) ratings for Labour and UKIP are around the same level as they were when Labour won by 33% in May. There should be no real reason to ecpect anything other than a comfy Labour win

The problem is, in a fragile betting market the outsider has been backed and the favourite was unsteady, and people will use the fact that UKIP went 8/1>3/1 as an excuse to brand it a big failure if they don't almost win
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: SNP members trying to use memory of his late father to attack Hilary Benn are revealing more about themselves than their target.

Like this guy...

@AdamBienkov: Alex Salmond says Hilary Benn's dad "would have been birling in his grave" if he heard his son's speech last night #lbc

At Brighton Uni Humanities dept one of the lecturers, an SWP activist, said the same of Ralph Miliband re David and Ed..

The hard left go to line
  • Options
    isam said:

When the by election was announced, no one on here, including Antifrank, Richard Nabavi, Tissue Price, Pong, Pulpstar, ie the well regarded betting thinkers, as well as myself, thought it would be anything other than an easy Labour win

I think the Paris attacks, and Corbyn's reaction to them, have somewhat changed things, but, yes, Labour should still win this IMO. (I am on UKIP, though, for a small amount).
  • Options
    isam said:

The caption for Corbyn's thoughts

"Chat shit, get banged"

The great Vardy SPOTY robbery.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    If he was called Gary Starmer, no one would be touting him.

I don't get the Starmer appeal. The man has no political experience and there is the potential for a huge amount of baggage from his time as DPP. Every decision made in his name at that time will be gone over - looking for things to use as an attack against him.

I also can't see Labour being comfortable with a Knight as leader. Doesn't really resonate well with some of their core supporters.

• Options
    Mr Eagles says .... ''Corbyn could not have been met with more messianic fervour than if he’d rode into Parliament on a donkey and people had laid out palm trees in front of him.''

Hmmm Yes. But its his supporters who are going round trying to nail opponents to a cross
  • Options
    @Pong I expect has the best Oldham book out of all of us here.

Well done to him.
  • Options

isam said:

I think the Paris attacks, and Corbyn's reaction to them, have somewhat changed things, but, yes, Labour should still win this IMO. (I am on UKIP, though, for a small amount).
    25% Muslim population meant that was less of a factor than it might have been I reckon

Did you see Newsnight yesterday? The piece on High Wycombe was quite astonishing
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Several Corbynitwits called his dad Toby Benn.
    Scott_P said:

Like this guy...

• Options
    weejonnie said:

It's going to be academic - Labour is now in a positive feedback loop of left-wing extremism. One key fact is that the Corbyn supporters are now so radicalised that they will not recognise the slump in the polls for what it is - it will all be the negative effects of the Blairites, and if they can get rid of them then they will do so much better. I'm not a betting man but it will become apparent that for many MPs it is going to be better to jump than be pushed. Once they realise that there is no chance of them being re-selected for 2020 then they will have no alternative.

And the more moderate members leave,the harder it will be for those remaining to regain control.
  • Options
    isam said:

As it stands the opinion poll (Westminster VI) ratings for Labour and UKIP are around the same level as they were when Labour won by 33% in May. There should be no real reason to ecpect anything other than a comfy Labour win

The problem is, in a fragile betting market the outsider has been backed and the favourite was unsteady, and people will use the fact that UKIP went 8/1>3/1 as an excuse to brand it a big failure if they don't almost win

During the by-election campaign a number of things have happened. Corbyn has made many mistakes, Labour has looked divided, the Tories have not made any impact in Oldham. UKIP came 2nd and has maintained their position as main challenger - that's a bit of a surprise to me.
    In a by-election voters tend 'make a statement' and here they have a chance to vote against Corbyn at no cost. In order to do so they'll need to vote UKIP. So the result will tell us how much Corbyn is disliked rather than how much UKIP is liked.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, Toby Nebb is my political hero.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856

Oscar Pistorius verdict changed to murder

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-34993002

Murdering scumbag......

Excellent decision. Obviously I am no legal expert, and certainly not a south african legal expert, but the original judge's explanation of the tests to be applied and her stated conclusions just did not seem logical.

On topic, at least this time when Starmer is mentioned it might be a bit more credible than when he was touted days after being elected!
  • Options
    On topic, a very good piece and hard to challenge the logic. It is striking just how many potential leaders were in the 66 - and consequently, how many may have ruled themselves out of the game.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

25% Muslim population meant that was less of a factor than it might have been I reckon

Did you see Newsnight yesterday? The piece on High Wycombe was quite astonishing
    I live near High Wycombe, what did it say?
  • Options
    I suppose it could be worse, Labour backbenchers could include a clutch named Hobsbawm, Marx and Che.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Kinder gentler politics.

https://twitter.com/farhia_x/status/672205483613229056

I hope that John McDonnell can show the police the details of that threat made to him as well.
  • Options

On topic, a very good piece and hard to challenge the logic. It is striking just how many potential leaders were in the 66 - and consequently, how many may have ruled themselves out of the game.

Is it so surprising? Only raving idiots (ie Miliband) would have voted against the resolution. People of a quality to lead the nation would one would hope aim to display more rationality than say Donald Trump.
  • Options
    When did Wedgie become Tony?

Miss Plato, Toby Nebb is my political hero.

• Options
    I like Sir Keir, on a professional basis, but I'm not sure he has the ability to be a leader that appeals to the masses.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

@georgeeaton: Reliable Lib Dem source tells me Labour victory in Oldham will be far more comfortable than expected.

UKIP are generally useless at by-elections (and elections) so this wouldn't be surprising. Labour folk will vote for the party even if they dislike the leader.

Not all of them will.

So much of the focus has been on Labour, but what would a bad result for UKIP be? A failure to get a head of steam among white working class voters would surely be a significant setback. It does need to come a close second at least, doesn't it?

A very good question, Mr. Observer, and one I hope someone in UKIP has been asking those in charge of the Party. I said before the GE that is UKIP won less than 4 four seats it would be very disappointing result and should trigger some serious heart searching as to why. I don't know of any evidence that that analysis ever took place.

To be sure the Miliband in Salmond's pocket poster and meme cost UKIP a lot of votes and probably a few seats, but was that the only reason? Who knows, but UKIP don't seem to have even asked the question.

Then we have Farage's piece in the Telegraph yesterday. One can admire and maybe even agree with the ambition but no gentleman would have written that article - vulgar, in bad taste and creating a hostage for the future. Sometimes Farage seems like an old man in a hurry.

So what does UKIP need to achieve today. Well, I am not expecting them to win (I said on here weeks ago that I think Labour will hold on comfortably) but anything less than, say, a 30% vote share would have to be classed as a major disappointment regardless of turnout. Anything below 20% (i.e. approaching their polling figures nationally) would be a disaster. If UKIP can get to within a few percentage points of the Labour share then I think they will have done well and are on track to make some gains in 2020 - but only if they do a lot of that other work.
    RATS NEW THREAD, still I claim my LAST once more :)
    I did the little competition using vote transfer charts for each section of the electorate. As long as Labour vote holds up reasonably well and turnout doesn't reduce by more than about 25-30% within Asian and the smallish urban liberal voter subsets, then UKIP still need to outpoll Labour by somewhere around 2.5:1 amongst the WWC (whose turnout may reduce a little more) to get close. I had them getting to somewhere slightly over 2:1 (from 3:4 at GE15) in my transfers and that still resulted in a Labour majority approaching 10% or 3000+.

I'm not saying I'm right, but doing that work brought home again the scale of the UKIP task here (scale of Labour disaster needed). I was never really on the page of considering the 5/2 (?) as a UKIP value bet.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Showed a park with graffiti saying "Gaza" "Islam" and where a mural of Bin Laden had been painted next to one of Che Guevera.

The young Asian guy on Newsnight interviewed friends of the two men that had gone to fight for IS. In general the muslims there were against airstrikes and also against the ideology of IS to be fair. I was just shocked about the Bin Laden mural really
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

@georgeeaton: Reliable Lib Dem source tells me Labour victory in Oldham will be far more comfortable than expected.

UKIP are generally useless at by-elections (and elections) so this wouldn't be surprising. Labour folk will vote for the party even if they dislike the leader.

Not all of them will.

So what does UKIP need to achieve today. Well, I am not expecting them to win (I said on here weeks ago that I think Labour will hold on comfortably) but anything less than, say, a 30% vote share would have to be classed as a major disappointment regardless of turnout. Anything below 20% (i.e. approaching their polling figures nationally) would be a disaster. If UKIP can get to within a few percentage points of the Labour share then I think they will have done well and are on track to make some gains in 2020 - but only if they do a lot of that other work.
    RATS NEW THREAD, still I claim my LAST once more :)
    I did the little competition using vote transfer charts for each section of the electorate. As long as Labour vote holds up reasonably well and turnout doesn't reduce by more than about 25-30% within Asian and the smallish urban liberal voter subsets, then UKIP still need to outpoll Labour by somewhere around 2.5:1 amongst the WWC (whose turnout may reduce a little more) to get close. I had them getting to somewhere slightly over 2:1 (from 3:4 at GE15) in my transfers and that still resulted in a Labour majority approaching 10% or 3000+.

I'm not saying I'm right, but doing that work brought home again the scale of the UKIP task here (scale of Labour disaster needed). I was never really on the page of considering the 5/2 (?) as a UKIP value bet.
    I set out betting on this with the view that Labour would win by about 15-16% and I wanted to back 10-20% margin and lay UKIP

As it stands, the "middle" seems to be more like 0-10 and I lose unless UKIP win or Lab win by 16+ #shrewd

• Options
    Can you imagine the living hell that must be day to day life for a Syrian in an ISIS stronghold?

Watching the Daily Politics and talk of crowds of planes overhead really brings it home
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited December 2015
    I think Corbyn will step down of his own accord mid next year when he finds he can't support the conclusions of the Labour defence policy review group, finally realises that his powers of persuasion are not unlimited, and that the stress and hassle isn't worth it.

But I think he will nominate his successor to his member supporters who will thererfore have a big advantage. That person I think will be Lisa Nandy who voted against the government last night, is centre left, bright and a good media performer, no baggage. And I think her competition will be Hilary Benn.

I don't believe that the Corbyn party members supporters are all swayed by Corbyn's particular policies. I think there was a reaction against the milk and water centrist positioning of Corbyn's three opponents and the refreshing contrast that Corbyn provided. Benn could provide that too with his moral clarity and oratory and so appeal to some of his Corbyn's supporters as the gloss comes off Corbyn. So Benn could beat Nandy in spite of Corbyn's support for Nandy.

I'm on both. Having backed Benn at 31s and laid some at 4s I'm healthily green across the board.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Showed a park with graffiti saying "Gaza" "Islam" and where a mural of Bin Laden had been painted next to one of Che Guevera.

The young Asian guy on Newsnight interviewed friends of the two men that had gone to fight for IS. In general the muslims there were against airstrikes and also against the ideology of IS to be fair. I was just shocked about the Bin Laden mural really
    Parts of Wycombe are proper breeding grounds for this lot, but the surrounding areas are lovely
  • Options
    @georgeeaton: Emily Benn calls on Alex Salmond to apologise for saying Tony would be "birling in his grave" over Hilary. https://t.co/HDfYarsqlt
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Che Guevara was also a murdering scumbag.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited December 2015
    Barnesian said:

I think Corbyn will step down of his own accord mid next year when he finds he can't support the conclusions of the Labour defence policy review group, finally realises that his powers of persuasion are not unlimited, and that the stress and hassle isn't worth it.

But I think he will nominate his successor to his member supporters who will thererfore have a big advantage. That person I think will be Lisa Nandy who voted against the government last night, is centre left, bright and a good media performer, no baggage. And I think her competition will be Hilary Benn.

I don't believe that the Corbyn party members supporters are all swayed by Corbyn's particular policies. I think there was a reaction against the milk and water centrist positioning of Corbyn's three opponents and the refreshing contrast that Corbyn provided. Benn could provide that too with his moral clarity and oratory and so appeal to some of his Corbyn's supporters as the gloss comes off Corbyn. So Benn could beat Nandy in spite of Corbyn's support for Nandy.

I'm on both. Having backed Benn at 31s and laid some at 4s I'm healthily green across the board.

Corbyn will not step down because there is no one far left enough as a successor who would get enough nominations. The rules might be changed of course.

PS
    Where is the stress for Corbyn? He has massive support within the left dominated membership. What does he care for the parliamentary party?
  • Options
    Hilary Benn lost the chance of becoming Labour leader when he spoke against extending airstrikes into Syria and thus against the bulk of the Labour membership who will not vote for him in a leader contest.

It is the lesson of history. Those who are disloyal to their party leader may bring them down but they don't succeed them due to their disloyalty.
  • Options
    Imagine being @TwistedFireStopper - the FBU have just signed up to Corbyn's Labour - he mentioned getting offers to buy an FBU branded Che t-shirt... and not in an ironic way.
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Che Guevara was also a murdering scumbag.
  • Options
    I make Andy Jellyfish, McIRA and the Abbotess the most senior Corbyn backers in his shadow Gov't.

#Talent
  • Options
    Tom Harris on the UKIP threat http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/12030828/Even-if-it-holds-Oldham-Jeremy-Corbyns-Labour-has-no-answer-to-the-Ukip-squeeze.html
    ... It should worry Labour, nevertheless, that Ukip is about to (at the very least) run them a close second in Oldham and is already snapping at their heels as their main challenger across dozens of seats in the north.

And if there are major differences in the Scottish and English experiences, there are, ominously for Labour, parallels: whether justified or not, Scottish Labour was seen as arrogant and complacent as a result of the (unfair and inaccurate) observation that it could scoop 40 or 50 seats at each election without lifting a finger (or delivering a leaflet)...
  • Options

It is the lesson of history. Those who are disloyal to their party leader may bring them down but they don't succeed them due to their disloyalty.

Unless you're Corbyn.
  • Options
    Diane is never off our TV screens along with Ken - what a pair.
    Pulpstar said:

I make Andy Jellyfish, McIRA and the Abbotess the most senior Corbyn backers in his shadow Gov't.

#Talent

• Options
    Labour's line for keeping it's seats:

Immigration; immigration; immigration !
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Several of my leftie chums have invested their hopes in Keir Starmer. Haven't spoken to them since the vote, but I'm expecting that his voting against has only firmed their views on him.

Of the candidates likely to throw their hat into the ring to succeed Corbyn - Watson, Benn, Starmer, Jarvis, maybe Umunna* - Starmer looks to have a good shot at balancing out the competing factions.

*Where are the women?
  • Options
    Pub Quiz - without peeking, who can name the Tory or LD candidates in Oldham?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

#Talent

"Gave their lives" must have been the most disgusting bit of political TV I've ever heard. If I was a Londoner and ever voted for him, I'd be very embarrased by it.
  • Options
    The Daily Politics is hilarious right now
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Scott_P said:

@georgeeaton: Emily Benn calls on Alex Salmond to apologise for saying Tony would be "birling in his grave" over Hilary. https://t.co/HDfYarsqlt

Good for her. It's a disgusting comment.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

The Daily Politics is hilarious right now

Certainly is, this Socialist woman is nuts!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @NicoHines: How do people who aren't in the Labour Party think they can deselect Labour MPs? There's been a bit of a misunderstanding...

@daily_politics: Socialist Party will urge Labour Party members to demand mandatory re-selection, says @NancyTaaffe #bbcdp

@daily_politics: "We don’t want them in the Labour Party" says @JohnMannMP to @NancyTaaffe #bbcdp

@politicshome: Socialist party candidate: Stella Creasy threats "a warning to people like John Mann who are sitting comfortable on their nice MP salaries".
  • Options
    Mr. P, as an angrily inquisitive dalek might shriek: elaborate?
  • Options

Mr. P, as an angrily inquisitive dalek might shriek: elaborate?

The lunatics who want to take over the asylum are flinging 'mud' at each other on live TV
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Mental note to self: Don't post politics on facebook.

It is an extraordinary medium for people who wish to make an amaurotic cyclops look to be a binocular visionary. They will only look one way and countenance no other conceptual or factual position.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2015
    What is Red Ken banging on about now....He has gone completely bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFHHY34Mxno
  • Options
    @BenDylan: @daily_politics @STJamesl @NancyTaaffe she's always been calling for @stellacreasy's resignation. I hope Labour members tell her to piss off
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360

Pulpstar said:

#Talent

phnar phnar
  • Options

Tom Harris on the UKIP threat http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/12030828/Even-if-it-holds-Oldham-Jeremy-Corbyns-Labour-has-no-answer-to-the-Ukip-squeeze.html

... It should worry Labour, nevertheless, that Ukip is about to (at the very least) run them a close second in Oldham and is already snapping at their heels as their main challenger across dozens of seats in the north.

And if there are major differences in the Scottish and English experiences, there are, ominously for Labour, parallels: whether justified or not, Scottish Labour was seen as arrogant and complacent as a result of the (unfair and inaccurate) observation that it could scoop 40 or 50 seats at each election without lifting a finger (or delivering a leaflet)...
    Fingers crossed my hope is for a labour victory by 1 vote.

Oh and on the 'Wedgie' Benn front --- he became plain Tony Benn when he changed his Who's Who entry and his name in his desire to ditch his patrician side and become more proletarian if not plebian.
    Hence no more Anthony and Wedgewood ('Wedgie')
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

weejonnie said:

And the more moderate members leave,the harder it will be for those remaining to regain control.
    Hence why I called it "positive feedback". In engineering/ science positive feedback is a bad thing as it means that the results of a system leaving a state of equilibrium mean that the state is pushed further away from equilibrium. To give a simple example: if you pull a spring, then the restorative force pulls it back - that is -ve feedback. If you balance a book upright and push it over enough then the torque exerted by gravity exacerbates that falling over. (The status when the book is upright is known as unstable equilibrium).
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

@NicoHines: How do people who aren't in the Labour Party think they can deselect Labour MPs? There's been a bit of a misunderstanding...

@daily_politics: Socialist Party will urge Labour Party members to demand mandatory re-selection, says @NancyTaaffe #bbcdp

@daily_politics: "We don’t want them in the Labour Party" says @JohnMannMP to @NancyTaaffe #bbcdp

@politicshome: Socialist party candidate: Stella Creasy threats "a warning to people like John Mann who are sitting comfortable on their nice MP salaries".

Roughly speaking, Stella Creasy got 21k votes in May & beat this woman by about 21k votes
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856

Pulpstar said:

#Talent

That actually raises a point I'd like to raise with any Corbyn supporters - Abbott and Livingstone appear to be even more divisive figures than Corbyn himself, and can be downright nasty to boot. Why are they continually chosen or self selected to put forth the Corbynite case? There have to better options
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @isam:

General Election 2015: Walthamstow [7][8]
    Party Candidate Votes % ±%
    Labour Co-op Stella Creasy 28,779 68.9 +17.0
    TUSC Nancy Taaffe_______ 394 0.9 +0.3
  • Options
    @MShapland: Been blocked, but for prosterity someone who proports to be a Corbyn supporter saying a Labour MP is worse than ISIS https://t.co/kHRx2oSTyX
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2015
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

#Talent

That actually raises a point I'd like to raise with any Corbyn supporters - Abbott and Livingstone appear to be even more divisive figures than Corbyn himself, and can be downright nasty to boot. Why are they continually chosen or self selected to put forth the Corbynite case? There have to better options
    Jobs for the boys (and girls) is what it is. McMao as shadow chancellor is a classic example. Corbyn is busy stuffing the Labour party positions with similar people e.g. the guy who counted the dodgy votes in relation to "party consultation" on whether to bomb Syria.
  • Options
    Replacing the electorate - an old joke, but not quite so funny.
    Pulpstar said:

Labour's line for keeping it's seats:

Immigration; immigration; immigration !

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    philiph said:

It is an extraordinary medium for people who wish to make an amaurotic cyclops look to be a binocular visionary. They will only look one way and countenance no other conceptual or factual position.

I auto-unfriend anyone who posts political stuff on Facebook. Life is too short. I go by my Granny's adage - never discuss religion or politics in polite company. I scratch my political itch in the low company of pb regulars ;).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Scott_P said:

@MShapland: Been blocked, but for prosterity someone who proports to be a Corbyn supporter saying a Labour MP is worse than ISIS https://t.co/kHRx2oSTyX

Furries for Corbyn? That has to be a rather select group of a rather select group ...
  • Options
    Furries 4 corbyn. Oh my word.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Furries for Corbyn? That has to be a rather select group of a rather select group ...
    Either that, or the Furies can't spell....
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

#Talent

Has Ken enjoyed a tour of East Germany with Abbott?
  • Options
    Excellent article by Wulfrun Phil. In no particular order, my view is as follows:

1) The Labour electorate are decidedly against bombing in Syria and for a fair chunk of members this is a vote-changing matter in any leadership election.

2) The Labour electorate's hearts are on the left.

3) They are not all or even mainly Militant entryists. They are open to supporting any candidate with a clear and positive prospectus. They have not been offered one by any Labour politician other than Jeremy Corbyn since the election. Hilary Benn did so yesterday, so it is possible.

4) Most of the short-priced candidates are ridiculously short. That in turn means that there is value in longer priced candidates.

Keir Starmer has a good name for this electorate and a decent back story. Whether that's enough, time will tell. He's probably fair value at 16/1.

For myself, I still feel that the next leader will come from the decidedly left wing of the party. Jeremy Corbyn won't test the idea of a leftwing leader to destruction.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,778
    edited December 2015
    Ken, your comments don’t just make me extremely angry – they are a betrayal to the bravery of the station staff, the emergency services and the ordinary citizens who stepped forward on that day. I don’t think any of my fellow passengers were thinking that Tony Blair had done this. I don’t think anyone was thinking that this was understandable given we had decided to go to war in Iraq.
    http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2015/11/27/an-open-letter-to-ken-livingstone/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yeah, Stella Creasy throws gays off buildings. Rapes kids to death. Burns and crucifies and beheads. Of course she does....

Either this is a bizarre sense of humour at work that just passes me by. Or these people at the heart of Corbyn's Labour are deranged by hatred.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Legal challenge?? imagine a long run, snarling, bare knuckled battle through the courts between labour and UKIP.

Imagine evidence of dodgy election practices, mutual backscratching, shady deals emerging...

OOOhhh....
  • Options
    taffys said:

Legal challenge?? imagine a long run, snarling, bare knuckled battle through the courts between labour and UKIP.

Imagine evidence of dodgy election practices, mutual backscratching, shady deals emerging...

OOOhhh....

I've gone for a couple of recounts.....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@isam:

General Election 2015: Walthamstow [7][8]
    Party Candidate Votes % ±%
    Labour Co-op Stella Creasy 28,779 68.9 +17.0
    TUSC Nancy Taaffe_______ 394 0.9 +0.3

Oh sorry I was looking at 2010!

Even worse!!

Mind you Im not a fan of Creasy.. went on a date with a girl in the summer and didn't follow it up because she reminded me of her
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited December 2015
    ''Yeah, Stella Creasy throws gays off buildings. Rapes kids to death. Burns and crucifies and beheads. Of course she does....''

Has there ever been a political opposition, ever, where the shadow chancellor likens the shadow Foreign secretary unto a war criminal.

Labour aren;t just not fit to govern. They are not fit to oppose.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, one suspects they're two women short of a threesome.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Jeremy Corbyn's @PeoplesMomentum "deal every day in abuse, that’s the way they do politics" says labour MP Anne Coffey

Could Momentum be what undoes Corbyn? Can the PLP force him to publicly denounce them?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Perhaps she's a strict Muslim with a novel approach to being sharia-compliant. It would explain the tweet.
  • Options
  • Options
    More generally, we've got to stop taking seriously every mad tweet from every demented nutter on twitter. In aggregate twitter ravings have some meaning. Individually, they almost never do.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Oldham is highly likely to be a Labour win.

Turnout will be approx 40% so clearly if half of Labour GE voters won't vote Labour then that doesn't mean a loss.

Turnout down a third, voters down a third. Labour got 23,000 at GE.

Expect that to be halved - 12,000 at most.

GE turnout was approx 42,000. Expect 28,000 turnout.

Therefore likely Labour to poll 42%.

Everything I am hearing says UKIp can't get to 42%. That said, a third of people make their mind up on the day so who knows.

From a Tory prospective, we are looking for a 3.5% swing minimum. That would continue the average since GE across all election. And if continued, that would ensure a Tory London Mayor, More London Assembly Members, parity with Labour in Scotland and Labour to lose majority in Wales Assembly. If Labour share of vote is more than 27% higher than Tory then reds have done well. if lower, Tories happy.
  • Options
    John_M said:

philiph said:

I auto-unfriend anyone who posts political stuff on Facebook. Life is too short. I go by my Granny's adage - never discuss religion or politics in polite company. I scratch my political itch in the low company of pb regulars ;).
    I just unfollow so I don't have to see their bs. Less controversial than unfriending.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited December 2015
    From The Times
    ''Nissan alliance with Renault under threat
    The future of Britain’s largest car plant, Nissan in Sunderland, is under threat in an increasingly toxic row between the Japanese company and the French government.
    More than 7,000 jobs are at risk, as well as hundreds more at Nissan’s design facilities in Paddington, central London, and its engineering centre in Cranfield, Bedfordshire, should Paris go ahead with plans to take control of more than 30 per cent of Renault.''
  • Options

More generally, we've got to stop taking seriously every mad tweet from every demented nutter on twitter. In aggregate twitter ravings have some meaning. Individually, they almost never do.

Quite. And those doing it here are doing it for purely partisan and rather transparent reasons. Imagine if this suicide scandal had been about Labour or UKIP - the feasting on every drop of information here would have filled pages.
  • Options
    That required a new keyboard.
    Pulpstar said:

Furries 4 corbyn. Oh my word.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Keir Starmer down to 12-1 from 16s I got a few weeks ago with WH and posted here.The OLBG traing manual states it is compulsory to state publicly the 3 reasons for the bet before any money is parted.Here are my 3.1.He has already had lengthy experience of leadership in a public service role.In his speech yesterday,he revealed how slanderous Cameron's claim he was a "terrorist sympathiser" was.As boss of the CPS he had helped stop terrorist plots and made sure the terrorists were properly legally banged up.No-one could ever accuse him of being a threat to national security when his work proves he,in fact,did the opposite.2.He has no political baggage from the past Labour governments.3.He voted against bombing Syria yesterday in a very nunaced speech which ended with his assurance that if the vote went against him,he would do everything possible to back our military personnel.His vote represented a majority of Labour members-a centrist without the baggage of Progress from the right,or Momentum from the left.Overall,he has a lot going for him.Of course,in any bet things can go tits-up but at double figure prices this is priced in.
    Seema Malhotra may be worth a few pennies at 66-1 Lads but as yet she only has a Timeform "P".May well end up in the Shadow Chancellor role should John McDonnell go the same way as Jeremy Corbyn,their futures are very much entwined.
    My preferred bet in such ante-post markets is a dutch to reduce risk to capital.It is not compulsory to back only one horse in a race.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Quite. And those doing it here are doing it for purely partisan and rather transparent reasons. Imagine if this suicide scandal had been about Labour or UKIP - the feasting on every drop of information here would have filled pages.
    Very, very true

Or maybe there just haven't been any tweets about it worth reproducing here?
  • Options
    AN independent Scotland would not have rejected the prospect of military intervention in Syria like the UK has done, Alex Salmond said today.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/syria-action-backed-under-independence-salmond-1-3071423#ixzz3tGLA2r28

To clarify - 'today' was 2/9/13......
  • Options
    :smiley:

Scott_P said:

Perhaps she's a strict Muslim with a novel approach to being sharia-compliant. It would explain the tweet.
  • Options

AN independent Scotland would not have rejected the prospect of military intervention in Syria like the UK has done, Alex Salmond said today.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/syria-action-backed-under-independence-salmond-1-3071423#ixzz3tGLA2r28

To clarify - 'today' was 2/9/13......

@neiledwardlovat: 2 YouGov sub samples in a row which have Scotland approving of air strikes in Syria.

https://t.co/GxBZUNcvHp

Yet the SNP say we don't.
This discussion has been closed.