Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Syria vote: Cameron looks set to win but how many LAB M

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Syria vote: Cameron looks set to win but how many LAB MPs will back him?

Voting takes place at 10pm and the result should be known within about 16 minutes. Then there’ll be the wait, not too long, for the division lists so we can see who has not followed their parties.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2015
    First!
  • Options
    Joe Oliver ‏@joe_oliver 10m10 minutes ago
    Would be a majority of circa 135 - larger than many are saying but based on expecting c.12 Tory rebels meaning Govt get.. 1/2 #SyriaVote

Joe Oliver ‏@joe_oliver 8m8 minutes ago
    ..c.317 Tory MP (-rebels/Deputy Speaker)+c.6 Lib Dems, 11 Unionists, and c.50 Labour MPs (maybe a few more) voting for #SyriaVote 2/2

Joe Oliver ‏@joe_oliver 7m7 minutes ago
    Of course could be wildly wrong as 90 minutes or so of debate still to go atmosphere during winding up speeches could be crucial #SyriaVote

(Oliver notes a couple of Labour "rebels" can't vote.)
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Third like the Tories in Oldham.
  • Options
    Hecklers on SKY news outside Westminster
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I had expected the Labour rebels to be around 40 so worse than that. The main point however in terms of politics is that they are in a gigantic mess as there seems to be no strategy to clear the decks and start again. I noted yesterday that they're starting to tank in the polls - but the story has a long way to run and I doubt they'll stay above 30 % soon.
  • Options
    Just starting on C4, third and final programme in focus on one murder. The Murder Detectives. Riveting stuff.
  • Options
    On a separate note the Tory rebels I heard - Davis, Baron, Lewis and I think Tyrie were deeply unimpressive and in at least 3 cases insincere.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    Only 12 Tories rebelling. Perhaps the shared testicle has been given the night off.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    edited December 2015
    The temptation to sit back and watch Labour self destruct must be almost irresistible to the Tories with Benn's closing still to come but having been at work all day and having skimmed through the previous thread it seems that we have the bizarre situation that many Labour MPs have put the Government's case better than they have themselves.

This really cannot go on. Either they get rid of the muppet or the sensible sane wing of Labour need to do something else. Really, who wants to be led by that?
  • Options
    ~ 50 Labour rebels... enough to get their candidate on the ballot...
  • Options
    felix said:

On a separate note the Tory rebels I heard - Davis, Baron, Lewis and I think Tyrie were deeply unimpressive and in at least 3 cases insincere.

Its really a pity Labour has given deselection such a bad name. The Conservative party could really do with candidates in some of those seats.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    When did David Davis turn into such an idiot?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,092
    MaxPB said:

When he first met Shami Chakrabarti?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

felix said:

Its really a pity Labour has given deselection such a bad name. The Conservative party could really do with candidates in some of those seats.
    Indeed - one of the results of the long-term Labour weakness in many parts of the south especially is too many Tories of dubious quality in ultra safe seats. To be fair this has long pre-dated the present Labour 'issues'.
  • Options
    It is going to come down to Benn. If he is to be the road back from perdition for Labour he needs to win some of the 130 allegedly backing Corbyn around and persuade them otherwise. At the moment Crobyn is winning more than half the PLP which consolidates his position.

This may prove to be the most important speech he ever makes.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MaxPB said:

6 December 2005
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

When he ' thankfully 'got rogered by cam for the leadership. Been sulking and increasingly barking ever since.
  • Options
    If only 50 Labour votes are FOR, whilst the majority will top 100, Cameron's stupid terrorist comment stopped a LAB majority voting against Corbyn IMHO.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

6 December 2005
    Nah, he was alright in the shadow cabinet for a while. Even after he had his election against himself he wasn't such a fool.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

23rd December 1948.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

That makes sense.
  • Options

If only 50 Labour votes are FOR, whilst the majority will top 100, Cameron's stupid terrorist comment stopped a LAB majority voting against Corbyn IMHO.

If so then it's terribly good politics and will further annoy the Cameron detractors so win win :)

Oh and the comment was neither stupid nor untrue.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Who would've thought 10 years ago that David Davis would end up consistently to the Left of Cameron.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

MaxPB said:

But who wouldn't get their head turned by that doe-eyed beauty!
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Plunge on Hilary Benn with WH,down to 3-1 fav.Misplaced IMHO.
    My guess for Labour MPs voting against 38-42.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    DavidL said:

It is going to come down to Benn. If he is to be the road back from perdition for Labour he needs to win some of the 130 allegedly backing Corbyn around and persuade them otherwise. At the moment Crobyn is winning more than half the PLP which consolidates his position.

True enough. But I'm not sure that those PLP members who vote against because of intimidation, fear for their seats etc will necessarily be more enamoured of Corbyn. Sullen acquiescence is not a great basis for good leadership. Of course, Corbyn may not care about that.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @AdamBienkov: Andy Burnham tells BBC he won't vote for Syrian air strikes today but may change his mind in the future. I give him a few minutes #syriavote
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Who would've thought 10 years ago that David Davis would end up consistently to the Left of Cameron.

Mad.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

True enough. But I'm not sure that those PLP members who vote against because of intimidation, fear for their seats etc will necessarily be more enamoured of Corbyn. Sullen acquiescence is not a great basis for good leadership. Of course, Corbyn may not care about that.

If they can get bullied on this they can get bullied on anything so they no longer count. This is their chance to get their party back but I think they are going to fluff it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    Scott_P said:

@AdamBienkov: Andy Burnham tells BBC he won't vote for Syrian air strikes today but may change his mind in the future. I give him a few minutes #syriavote

Didn't he say he would vote for it if there was a UN resolution?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The L/Dems are on board, or so Farron hopes.
    Possibly 90± Labour MP's will vote for bombing. Any more and Labour is truly split in half. Less than 40 will be a boost for Jezzabel.
  • Options
    Lynton Crosby was going to be my man of 2015.

Jürgen Klopp now has that accolade.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

If they can get bullied on this they can get bullied on anything so they no longer count. This is their chance to get their party back but I think they are going to fluff it.
    Any Labour MP who uses a vote on military action as a proxy for parochial internal Labour politics would be (rightly) treated with contempt by even moderate Labour members.
  • Options
    Norman Lamb voting against.
  • Options
    felix said:

If so then it's terribly good politics and will further annoy the Cameron detractors so win win :)

Oh and the comment was neither stupid nor untrue.
    Quite. He gets a majority and the Labour party gets tarred with the terrorists' sympathisers' moniker, including those who aren't but aren't man enough to step away from the pile of sh*t that Corbyn, McDonnell, Milne and Livingstone represent.

Labour members keep saying that Corbyn represents what they want, what they believe in, that he is better than all those Tories like Blair and Brown etc. So they own Corbyn and his sympathies too.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

The L/Dems are on board, or so Farron hopes.
    Possibly 90± Labour MP's will vote for bombing. Any more and Labour is truly split in half. Less than 40 will be a boost for Jezzabel.

The 90+ figure for Labour seems wildly optimistic imho
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936

Lol, money for old rope for the bookie.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

But who wouldn't get their head turned by that doe-eyed beauty!
    Oh dear Dr Fox! She is a nitwit.

• Options
    Benn on his feet
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Anyone who uses a vote on military action as a proxy for parochial internal Labour politics would be (rightly) treated with contempt by even moderate Labour members.
    Really? Cameron has won. There really are other fish to fry and the future of our main opposition party is not insignificant, not at all.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Anyone who uses a vote on military action as a proxy for parochial internal Labour politics would be (rightly) treated with contempt by even moderate Labour members.
    Isn't that just what some of the Corbynista MPs are doing?
  • Options
    Corbyn not in the chamber, but Benn says he is not a terrorist sympathiser
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Labour peer Lord Rooker has really gone for it. (via @guardian liveblog)
    https://t.co/hrpfUGPOjs https://t.co/Amcau3EHGd
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Worried about the Union David?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

And to think you can get 5 on BF!
  • Options

Liverpool won another game? Remarkable enough I suppose but not that extraordinary.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Then he is either monumentally stupid or a liar.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936
    edited December 2015

Pulpstar said:

I'm guessing that's your dosh heh

If you get matched don't forget to lay David Miliband a bit to improve yr effective interest rate :)
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Shadow foreign secretary @hilarybennmp up wrapping up for labour... "conditions are met" at that point @jeremycorbyn who disagrees arrives
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Liverpool won another game? Remarkable enough I suppose but not that extraordinary.
    We were one nil down after 40 secs. We're now 6-1 up away at Southampton in the Rumbelows cup
  • Options
    Watching Benn argue in favour of motion and Corbyn sitting behind him is surreal.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Shall I put him down as a maybe on Corbynism?
  • Options
    Two Labour members looking at cute kittens/sneezing pandas on a phone while Benn is speaking.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Worried about the Union David?
    Yes. SLAB are already making dodos look quite vivacious. They really don't need the party in Westminster looking as ridiculous as it does in Holyrood. This is too big a burden for Ruth to carry on her own.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

He's sitting behind him!
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Apparently Corbyn is eating dinner in terrace canteen while Hilary Benn speaks to the House re Syria...
  • Options

Watching Benn argue in favour of motion and Corbyn sitting behind him is surreal.

Corbyn, Watson, Burnham all behind him...what a sight.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Shadsy goes;

2/9 Lab
    10/3 UKIP
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Labour peer Lord Rooker has really gone for it. (via @guardian liveblog)

Wow!

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Apparently Corbyn is eating dinner in terrace canteen while Hilary Benn speaks to the House re Syria...

Really...I didn't know his twin was also an MP?
  • Options

He's sitting behind him!

He arrived late
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

He's got a twin then.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Hilary Benn doesn't just look like the leader of the opposition at the moment. He looks like the prime minister.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

He's sitting behind him!

He arrived late
    Well thats just standard.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    Good stuff from Benn
  • Options
    Hilary Benn is making the speech of the day (well the ones I've watched anyway)
  • Options
    @thequentinletts: Hilary Benn making the speech of his life. Make him Labour leader.
  • Options
    Benn better than the PM on the case in favour of bombing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm guessing that's your dosh heh

If you get matched don't forget to lay David Miliband a bit to improve yr effective interest rate :)
    You know what, I might let that run...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    This is very good from Benn
  • Options
    @Tony_McNulty: Whether you agree with him or not, superb speech from Hilary Benn - well thought out, razor sharp and delivered with impeccable courtesy
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    That's way more incendiary than anything Cameron has said. A Labour peer has explicitly compared Corbyn and the Trots to Daesh.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Wow!

I don't know why people use the epithet "Trot" when Trotskyites are hated by the Hard Left! Leon himself was murdered on Stalin's orders in Mexico in 1940.
    And this was a recent leaflet by the Communist Party of Great Britain:

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
    I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
    The evil that men do lives after them;
    The good is oft interred with their bones;
    So let it be with Caesar.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Wanderer said:

Has he called Corbyn and Milne "honourable men" yet?

• Options
    Anyone called Hilary Benn a Tory yet?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

This is the end of Corbyn - Benn has just traduced him by his arguments
  • Options
    Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum behind Benn look lost.
  • Options
    I have to say it's surreal watching Benn putting his case forward (very passionately), whilst his leader sits next to him, who believes the total opposite to Benn.
  • Options
    Make this guy leader of the opposition.
  • Options

Anyone called Hilary Benn a Tory yet?

Why doesn't he just pi$$ off to the Tories ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Drama on The Apprentice...

(Moving onto the serious matters of the day)
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Has he called Corbyn and Milne "honourable men" yet?

Or perhaps a Howe quote - "The time has come for others to consider their own response to the tragic conflict of loyalties, with which I myself have wrestled for perhaps too long."
  • Options
    Benn lecturing his own side now...kinda of how you expect a leader to do.
  • Options
    One has to wonder what is going through Andy Burnham's head, assuming it isn't just empty.
  • Options
    @VickiYoung01: "We never have and we never should walk by on the other side of the road" says Benn to his Labour colleagues #syriavote
  • Options
    Benn could be PM tonight.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

One has to wonder what is going through Andy Burnham's head, assuming it isn't just empty.

You are giving him too much credit.
  • Options
    This is astonishing stuff by Hilary Benn. A full throated leadership pitch.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Incredible moment. Hilary Benn destroying Jeremy Corbyn's "mandate" with the moral force of 100 years of Labour history.
  • Options
    Hillary for POTUS, I mean PM :)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Benn. Wow.

• Options
    Hillary Benn applauded by all sides of the House.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Make this guy leader of the opposition.

Labour need to follow Benn tonight and give a large vote for the motion thereby destroying Corbyn
  • Options
    The Labour front bench were seriously dumbstruck by that.
  • Options
    Corbyn looks absolutely pissed off.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    Are we watching Hilary Benn's resignation speech from the front bench..?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Jonathan said:

Benn. Wow.

It's a magnificent speech
  • Options
    Clear the benches, no clapping allowed you tory bastards.
This discussion has been closed.