Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Syria vote: Cameron looks set to win but how many LAB M

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031

179 - Blair's majority in 1997 :)

Ah, I miss the days of large Tory majorities in the house.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

Scott_P said:

@christopherhope: I am at the entrance to the Members' Lobby. One Tory MP tells me as many as 15 Labour MP waverers were swayed by Hilary Benn's speech.

It was a fantastic speech, but surely MPs should have the ability to form rational, coherent opinions and have enough courage in their convictions to not turn 180% at the last minute.
    That they might still be wavering after so much debate does not mean they don't have convictions, it is a balanced issue after all. Sometimes an excellent summary is what is needed to push people over one line or another, knowing they can prevaricate no further.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Scott_P said:

@christopherhope: I am at the entrance to the Members' Lobby. One Tory MP tells me as many as 15 Labour MP waverers were swayed by Hilary Benn's speech.

It was a fantastic speech, but surely MPs should have the ability to form rational, coherent opinions and have enough courage in their convictions to not turn 180% at the last minute.
    "waverers" by definition have not yet made up their mind, so are still open to persuasion.

And it's 180 degrees, not percent.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Crobyn must have got nearly 150. Shameful and sad.

They back him a lot more than some reports would have us believe, I think.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Labour peer Lord Rooker has really gone for it. (via @guardian liveblog)
    https://t.co/hrpfUGPOjs https://t.co/Amcau3EHGd

Wow!

I don't know why people use the epithet "Trot" when Trotskyites are hated by the Hard Left! Leon himself was murdered on Stalin's orders in Mexico in 1940.
    And this was a recent leaflet by the Communist Party of Great Britain:

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89

In the lexicon of the communists, Trotskyism counts as "Left Deviationist" (pretending to be left in appearance, but in effect being allied with the reactionaries) in contrast with the "Right Deviationists" (the social democrats, revisionists, opportunists, and adherents of parliamentary cretinism) who are right in form as well as content.
  • Options
    notme said:

DavidL said:

Chameleon said:

Gosh, Benn's speech was simply spine tingling, just on the basis of that, even as a Conservative card holder, I'd easily opt for him over Cameron.

Listening to it again. Just remarkable.
    Fortunately, now that he has made a case for war so well, the £3 members wont be voting for him any time soon. Stupendously good speech.
    I might vote for him!

Hillary for POTUS, I mean PM :)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @stellacreasy: Hilary benn’s speech has persuaded me that fascism must be defeated. I will hold public meeting on Sunday to discuss #syria
  • Options
    Betfred just rejected a bet from me on Benn at 6/1. Buggers.

£25 sitting in their account of mine now doing nothing at all.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,809
    Hilary's father would have applauded the speech - and then voted against!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited December 2015
    gov't majority on amendment, 179.

[edit: oops, just a bit late!]
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Alan Johnson, Dan Jarvis, Pat McFadden, Margaret Beckett, Hillary Benn, my word Hillary Benn, and others - you did the Labour party proud today. You'll get nothing but abuse for it, but you spoke for the history of the party and you spoke for the only way that could ever possibly secure its future. If that's the final, dying cry of defiance before NickP and co destroy it all, that's some way to go. I am proud of you all and sad for what is to come.

I hope this doesn't get your hopes up, but Benn's speech was the sort of speech that topples leaders.
    Do you think it will have swayed the people who voted for Mr Corbyn?
  • Options
    @LordAshcroft: You could have a good shadow cabinet from those who have voted tonight for action in Syria.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

211-56-1 green, 1 Lib Dem. Crobyn must have got nearly 150. Shameful and sad.

10 Tories and 5 SDLP/PC.

Corbyn will have got about 140.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@stellacreasy: Hilary benn’s speech has persuaded me that fascism must be defeated. I will hold public meeting on Sunday to discuss #syria

Hopefully the nutters leave her alone.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

211-56-1 green, 1 Lib Dem. Crobyn must have got nearly 150. Shameful and sad.

Out of 230-ish, so about a third "rebelling" (obviously not a rebellion as you can't rebel on a free vote).
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Alan Johnson, Dan Jarvis, Pat McFadden, Margaret Beckett, Hillary Benn, my word Hillary Benn, and others - you did the Labour party proud today. You'll get nothing but abuse for it, but you spoke for the history of the party and you spoke for the only way that could ever possibly secure its future. If that's the final, dying cry of defiance before NickP and co destroy it all, that's some way to go. I am proud of you all and sad for what is to come.

Superb speech by Benn. Actually gave me hope for Labour.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Daniel said:

Labour rebels now have a candidate. If ol' JC fires Hilary, all the MP's the mob bullied will rally to him.

Jezza should have sacked Benn before the vote and called his bluff so he did speak from the backbenchers.Ruthlessness is not one of JC's strongpoints and it could be a fatal error.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,321
    edited December 2015
    BBC jury on airstrikes exactly tied, after an early initial 'cloud' exercise on a board, a few who did not have a clue and one who said 'he wanted peace and harmony throughout the world'
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Informed Labour source: about 60 Labour MPs voted against the Baron amendment: good indication of MPs who will vote with PM
  • Options
    RobD said:

:lol:

Sgt. Sunil: Alright, sweethearts, you're a team and there's nothin' to worry about. We come here, and we're gonna conquer, and we're gonna kick some, is that understood? That's what we're gonna do, sweethearts, we are going to go and get some. All right, people, on the ready line! Are ya lean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: Are ya mean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU?

PB Tories: Lean and mean!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU? RobD! TSE! Get on the ready line, PB Tories, get some today! Get on the ready line! Move it out! Move it out, goddammit! Get hot! One, two, three, four! Get out, get out, get out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! One, two, three, four, five, six, seven! Aaarrrrr, absolutely badasses! Let's pack 'em in! Get in there!
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Scott_P said:

Hopefully the nutters leave her alone.
    They won't, the STW types are the only kind of people that have the time on their hands to go to these events at such short notice.
  • Options

Piers ‏@Its_Piers 3m3 minutes ago
    Hilary Benn should be de-selected. Tory in disguise. Entire Tory bench claps his speech. Disgusting excuse of a man.

Well that didn't take long...

I knew there would be some idiot on twitter who would think this. Some people are beyond help.
  • Options
    @christopherhope: One Labour MP tells me: "We are all Bennites now." #SyriaVote
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I watched 7 hours of the 10 hours of the debate, but I needed to have a nap for two hours. I missed Hilary Benn's speech because I was watching The Apprentice. Earlier, people were tweeting to say that Yvette Cooper's speech was also good, but I missed that because I needed to do a poo.

I have been agonising in indecision for several days but in the end, the debate persuaded me to support the motion. The most persuasive speeches were those who were in a minority on their own sides.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Informed Labour source: about 60 Labour MPs voted against the Baron amendment: good indication of MPs who will vote with PM

That adds up.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Scott_P said:

@KateEMcCann: Andy Burnham first to make a beeline for Benn to congratulate him (even though they don't agree) many Labour MPs patting Benn on the back

Does Burnham vote No to please his current leader, or yes to please his next?

His brain is probably going to overheat trying to work out what the best move for him is.
    What brain? Burnham is a cardboard cut-out.
  • Options

Hilary Benn should be de-selected. Tory in disguise. Entire Tory bench claps his speech. Disgusting excuse of a man.

I knew there would be some idiot on twitter who would think this. Some people are beyond help.
    At least we have Twitter to help identify them now.
  • Options
    BBC News at 10 selected an audience and loaded it .... guess what it voted 50/50 which is out of line with opinion polls. Mark "leftie" Easton of the BBC said "guess what that is in line with public opinion".....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    I'm not even watching it, just happily laying off Benn on Betfair :D
  • Options

Scott_P said:

My personal theory is that they need an excuse.

Benn is hardly likely to have made them change their rational judgment, one would suspect, but a cracking speech provides a get-out clause. If it had been a dud, it would have been harder to bet one's career on the back of it.
  • Options

BBC News at 10 selected an audience and loaded it .... guess what it voted 50/50 which is out of line with opinion polls. Mark "leftie" Easton of the BBC said "guess what that is in line with public opinion".....

Mr [mispresent] Stats at his best?
  • Options
    I assume these numbers have already been posted, but the 2003 Iraq war votes: amendment defeated 396-217 (maj 179), main question carried 412-149 (maj 263). So 16 vote swing plus 50-odd not bothering to vote against the main question.
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: Word is that the Labour chief whip Rosie Winterton is voting for strikes
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    Corbyn couldn't deselect 60 MPs without the risk of them all forming a new party (which would become the third largest in Parliament)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    AnneJGP said:

I hope this doesn't get your hopes up, but Benn's speech was the sort of speech that topples leaders.
    Do you think it will have swayed the people who voted for Mr Corbyn?
    That's the problem. Corbyn has a lot of supporters in the membership even if the sensible Labour MPs now have someone to gather around.
  • Options
    Daniel said:

Corbyn couldn't deselect 60 MPs without the risk of them all forming a new party (which would become the third largest in Parliament)

I can just hear the stamping of SNP feet right now.
  • Options
    Fooking Hell

@tnewtondunn: It appears Labour chief whip Rosie Winterton voted with the government. Very difficult for Corbyn #SyriaVote
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Farron's speech wasn't too bad.
  • Options

Mr [mispresent] Stats at his best?
    Trained by PollyT...probably
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

That they might still be wavering after so much debate does not mean they don't have convictions, it is a balanced issue after all. Sometimes an excellent summary is what is needed to push people over one line or another, knowing they can prevaricate no further.
    Benn's speech was passionate and brilliantly delivered, this cannot be denied. However, he did not add any additional information to the debate that has not already been out there for days. It was a plea to emotions, these decisions should not be made on emotions alone.
  • Options

Agreed, I listened to it on the radio and I thought he made the most persuasive case for strikes of anyone, including Cameron
  • Options

RobD said:

:lol:

Sgt. Sunil: Alright, sweethearts, you're a team and there's nothin' to worry about. We come here, and we're gonna conquer, and we're gonna kick some, is that understood? That's what we're gonna do, sweethearts, we are going to go and get some. All right, people, on the ready line! Are ya lean?

snip..
    I feel honoured and ashamed (due to the amount of time I spend on PB) to be name-checked ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Daniel said:

I can just hear the stamping of SNP feet right now.
    it would be quite smart. two questions at PMQs. likely to tempt other MPs over.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Benn's speech was passionate and brilliantly delivered, this cannot be denied. However, he did not add any additional information to the debate that has not already been out there for days. It was a plea to emotions, these decisions should not be made on emotions alone.
    As it was the last speech before Hammond summing up, clearly it won't be made on emotions alone - why should he repeat information others have already provided?
  • Options
    Funny that only just earlier today I had commented about what a great orator Foot was in an era of great orators and how we do not have his like in Parliament anymore. Very pleased to have been proved wrong by Hilary Benn tonight.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Agreed, I listened to it on the radio and I thought he made the most persuasive case for strikes of anyone, including Cameron
    Absolutely agree, a remarkable speech.
  • Options

Fooking Hell

@tnewtondunn: It appears Labour chief whip Rosie Winterton voted with the government. Very difficult for Corbyn #SyriaVote

Err...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Scott_P said:

@KateEMcCann: Andy Burnham first to make a beeline for Benn to congratulate him (even though they don't agree) many Labour MPs patting Benn on the back

Does Burnham vote No to please his current leader, or yes to please his next?

His brain is probably going to overheat trying to work out what the best move for him is.
    What brain? Burnham is a cardboard cut-out.
    How many times did Burnham flip flop during the debate?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051

Fooking Hell

Err...
    Sack her.
  • Options
    Yep, people on Twitter already calling Benn a Tory.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2015

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I actually felt angry about all the fuss that came out when a pic came out of that drowned Syrian toddler.

There'd been drowning kids for months, hundreds of them, thousands of people overall... and no pics mean we didn't care, then one photograph and supposedly everything is different.

Do dead people not count if no camera is nearby?
  • Options
    67 LAB MP's voted with govt, apparently.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

At least we have Twitter to help identify them now.
    I genuinely cannot understand the minds of some of these Corbynites.
  • Options

Funny that only just earlier today I had commented about what a great orator Foot was in an era of great orators and how we do not have his like in Parliament anymore. Very pleased to have been proved wrong by Hilary Benn tonight.

Richard, ICYMI, that John Curtice analysis that we were discussing earlier

Summary here

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/analysis/britain-divided-who-supports-and-who-opposes-eu-membership/

Detailed report here

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Analysis-paper-1-Britain-divided.pdf
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,577
    Massive win for Cameron but hopefully a bigger win for Labour. There is hope.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

I watched 7 hours of the 10 hours of the debate, but I needed to have a nap for two hours. I missed Hilary Benn's speech because I was watching The Apprentice. Earlier, people were tweeting to say that Yvette Cooper's speech was also good, but I missed that because I needed to do a poo.

I have been agonising in indecision for several days but in the end, the debate persuaded me to support the motion. The most persuasive speeches were those who were in a minority on their own sides.

Thankyou for that concise description of the reason you missed Mrs Balls speech
  • Options
    AYE 397

NO 223
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Incidentally the reaction to Benn's speech on Twitter isn't remotely similar to the reaction on here.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    For airstrikes in Syria - 397 v 223

A bad night for the Terrorist Sympathisers.....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    ayes 397, noes 223
  • Options
    Yes 397 No 223
  • Options
    174 majority
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646
    edited December 2015
    174 majority for airstrikes
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

When all the information has been argued back & forth for ages, that's what it comes down to in the end.

We usually label emotions as not-level-headed, but where a finely-balanced decision is required, our emotions are what our deepest instincts are telling us. The voice of conscience, perhaps.

• Options

Fooking Hell

Foreign Secretary and Chief Whip - Awkward…
  • Options
    397-223 (174).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,577
    223!!
    With the SNP that is surely a worse result for Corbyn.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

AYE 397

NO 223

That's very good.
  • Options
    174 majority.
  • Options
    glw said:

Incidentally the reaction to Benn's speech on Twitter isn't remotely similar to the reaction on here.

Yes well labour supporters of air strikes are not going to say David Cameron is wonderful and I want to have his babies
  • Options
    And Labour have Emily Thornberry responding on the BBC...and this is why Labour still have huge issues.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    We need the Labour figures.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    174 maj....I think.
  • Options
    glw said:

If I can be blunt, fuck twitter.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Time for Corbyn to clear the Augean Stables of his shadow cabinet.
    Starting with the sacking of Benn.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm not even watching it, just happily laying off Benn on Betfair :D

The speech was excellent. But I'm not seeing a reason to back it at 2/1.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267

Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Hilary Benn doesn't just look like the leader of the opposition at the moment. He looks like the prime minister.

Can't help but agree with that. That was Churchillian.

And he turned around and personally addressed the Labour benches himself, appealing to them to support their sister socialist party, as if he really *was* the leader.

Simply astonishing.
    I have just watched it. A fantastic speech. The ending was very good indeed. Passionate and right. That's a leader's speech. That is Labour - real Labour - at its very best. Good to see.

• Options
    glw said:

Incidentally most of the forecasts of the election result on Twitter were not remotely similar to the voting intentions of the electorate either!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Just watched Lord Coe's testimony today. A VP of the IAAF for 8 years, and also initial chairman of the FIFA Ethics Committee. Add that to the Nike contract that he canceled too late. Given the state of FIFA and the IAAF he doesn't need to be in either one. He's a disgrace.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,372
    edited December 2015
    Thornberry says 57 Labour MPs.

LOL...Thornberry doing a terrible job spinning.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,958
    Is that a bigger majority for air strikes than expected?
  • Options

Fooking Hell

Foreign Secretary and Chief Whip - Awkward…
    Well, it was a free vote.
  • Options
    Just seen that speech. Who would have thought he had it in him? Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
  • Options

About midway between the best and worst predictions of how many it seems.
  • Options
    Emily Thornberry on BBC news - good cue to switch off.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,809
    If Cameron hadn't been such a knob over 100 Labour MPs might have voted in favour after Benn's speech.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Ok well thats done.

On another note the mass shooting incident in California is best described as 'unconventional'.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Is that a bigger majority for air strikes than expected?

Bang in the middle of expectations. So excellent speech by Benn or not, it hasn't resulted in a mass anti-Corbyn vote from Labour side.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: sKy sources: 67 labour MPs voted for airstrikes with the PM against @jeremycorbyn

@BBCJLandale: Key point: government would have won tonight with Lib Dem and DUP votes alone. It did not matter how Labour MPs voted.
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely agree, a remarkable speech.
    Indeed, very strong
  • Options
    Rumour Harman voted in favour
  • Options
    What does this do for the Labour vote tomorrow?
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Ok well thats done.

On another note the mass shooting incident in California is best described as 'unconventional'.

Not a lone-wolf?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Speedy said:

Time for Corbyn to clear the Augean Stables of his shadow cabinet.
    Starting with the sacking of Benn.

I don't think he can sack him.

Benn might walk about, but he is now untouchable.
  • Options
    @chrisshipitv: Labour chief whip Rosie Winterton voted with Govt on that 1st amendment. I'm told HarrietHarman & MargaretBeckett too <both acting leaders
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

So 25 out 57 where shadow cabinet members if the chattering is correct, I know of the notion keep your friends close but your enemies closer but this is ridiculous, Corbyn has managed to appoint half of all his sworn enemies in the shadow cabinet.

Corbyn should do a reshuffle and get rid of them, there are many more Labour MP's who are more loyal and would cause less trouble to replace the troublemakers.
  • Options
    @nicholaswatt: Labour chief whip Rosie Winterton abstained. She could have done nothing else in circs one @UKLabour source said
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    So...orf we jolly well go....
  • Options

If Cameron hadn't been such a knob over 100 Labour MPs might have voted in favour after Benn's speech.

Rather petty reason for so many not to side with him if they supported it otherwise, even accepting his remarks were unhelpful. I'd hope it swayed only a few.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Just seen that speech. Who would have thought he had it in him? Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Foot and Kinnock (and Benn Sr!) were accomplished orators. It didn't win them any elections.
This discussion has been closed.