Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn: Britain’s first X Factor leader?

Comments

• Options
    ‘Ba-dum-tish’ – someone’s in a playful mood.. :lol:
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

RE the Matt cartoon and the female barrister. she really is a charmer isn't she.. and Proudman isn't her "real " name

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/11243593/Matt-cartoons.html?frame=3437242

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11859971/Sexism-row-barrister-Charlotte-Proudman-wrote-vitriolic-email-to-her-elderly-grandmother-before-her-death.html

She should stand for the Labour Party, I am sure Harriet Harman would propose her.

If she changed her name by deedpoll then Proudman is her real name. Interesting that her PhD at Cambridge is in FGM. It would be useful to have some barristers who are versed in the subject.

She rather overreacted, and should have given the guy the brush off rather than spread it over Facebook, but doesn't deserve the twittermob lynching. Indeed does anyone deserve the twittermob?

Ok it is her real name.. I did put it in inverted commas.

Quite frankly I think you are far too sympathetic. The guy she slagged off didn't deserve what she did to him either It was deliberate and it was she who took to twitter IIRC.. If you put it out there, expect not everyone to agree with you.
    Twittermob lynchings are rarely edifying. Carter-Smith does seem to be a bit inappropriate, and one wonders how he treats women generally.
    You are missing the point. If she had not put it out on twitter she wouldn't have got what she received. Putting it on twitter, she hope to humiliate him. What she got back was entirely her own fault and no one else's.

He should not have said what he did, it was foolish in the modern world, but what she did was infinitely more deliberate and nasty., in fact really nasty.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Icarus said:

Speaking as an opinionated 66 year old, the prospect of a Corby victory is encouraging personally and politically..... For the Liberal Democrats.

You mean the Tory B team !
    No, that's UKIP. The LibDems are the Tory Z team...
  • Options
    Not long to go now ...

Can we have any guesses about who the BBC and Sky will have in their studios to give instant reactions? I assume Harman'll be there in person.

The words spoken in the first few minutes might help set the tone.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    surbiton said:

Icarus said:

Speaking as an opinionated 66 year old, the prospect of a Corby victory is encouraging personally and politically..... For the Liberal Democrats.

You mean the Tory B team !
    Ed, being so crap really hurt Labour, Jez, is going to eviscerate them. Who will you blame then? The 3 quidders?
  • Options
    Mr. Saddened, surely this is the Legacy of Miliband?

On the plus side for Labour, after Corbyn they must arrest the trend of getting successively more useless leaders.
  • Options
    notme said:

Alex: not only is he an unknown, the political historians will surely struggle to name somebody so unpopular within his party before he even starts. Some of the interviews/quotes/tweets today will be hilarious

Theres a wider problem as well for Corbyn. He just likes unsavoury muslims. He comes across as if he *really* likes them. Labour has acquired for itself a reputation for being far too soft, and too willing to cosy up to unpleasant people, predominantly muslim.

This is going to come more and more under scrutiny. The more of an issue it becomes the more none muslim minority groups, especially Jews, but sikhs and hindus as well are going to be questioning their long term support for Labour. A process that started well before JC.

Quite so. Either Labour becomes a neo-Islamic party or British Muslims will found one of their own. If he wasn't such an egoist, Galloway would stand aside for a Muslim to lead Respect.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    saddened said:

Roger said:

David Kendrick

"Last night, on Channel 4 news, Cameron was being mocked for his lack of support for the 'refugees' (not migrants). Nothing new there.

It was given a bizarre twist, when one of the guests was a Jewish woman, nearing 90, who came to this country on kindertransport in 1939. The not-so-subtle point was how differently refugees were treated then. She tried to emote with the best of them, but her 'virtue signalling' was really pretty ordinary.'

This is becoming the humanitarian crisis of our lifetime. The UK's reputation for humanitarianism is being trashed and I mean trashed. Last night I heard the UK being compared unfavourably with Hungary.

Meanwhile our fat f***ing blob of a Prime Minister is watching cricket......

Would you prefer it if he was helming a leaky rubber dinghy, off the coast of Turkey.
    Other Tories have been sighted in the Med ....

Eric Pickles was last seen mimicking a large inflatable, supposedly whilst on holiday. Indeed if he teamed up with Nicholas Soames they'd make an awesome flotilla and put the people smugglers out of business in a trice..

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited September 2015

Quite so. Either Labour becomes a neo-Islamic party or British Muslims will found one of their own. If he wasn't such an egoist, Galloway would stand aside for a Muslim to lead Respect.

• Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    http://news.sky.com/story/1551119/could-jeremy-corbyn-win-a-general-election

For those who think Corbyn might not win. Must be a shock to the Primposies.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Pauly said:

I really can't believe my eyes on how much renewable progress we have made without dooming ourselves with the energy protest group parties...
    http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
    The figures right now are pretty incredible.

"right now"

Do you post this when wind generation is near 0 GW?

And how do we generate power to meet demand and balance the transmission network when wind generation is low? Currently the answer is mostly stand-by CCGT which cost the consumer an absolute fortune.
    Thanks Pauly, it's an interesting site http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ . Currently Wind 20%,, coal 15%.
    Yes, it's a good site that's been linked to on here many times before.

Oddly, people mostly link to it when renewables are high as if to prove a point, and rarely when they are low.

Odd, that.
    I'm on the right, but I understand your intellectual cynicism. I linked it primarily because at the time of linking renewables/imports/nuclear combined were 75%+ which, as someone who regularly checks the site, I have never seen before.

Hopefully the issues of baseload will be fixed with european energy interconnectors and new tidal technology pioneered with the expensive Swansea project. Tidal/wave are quite predictable into the future which contrasts heavily with the crazy behaviour of wind.
    I'd like to think that the new schemes might help, but they're relatively unproven and, in the case of the European interconnnectors, many years away. Am I right in saying there's still only a 2GW connector between the UK and France, or has another one been added (Holland springs to mind, but I'm probably wrong).

In the meantime, all these green schemes do is make large businesses great sums and increase consumers' bills.

Energy storage should be part of the mix as well. We're pretty well maxed out for pump storage, and especially on the scales needed, so we need innovative solutions. This is not talked about enough.
  • Options
    Mr. Abroad, either would be a disturbing development.
  • Options
    Morning campers.

Has the Labour Party imploded yet?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    JackW said:

saddened said:

Roger said:

David Kendrick

"Last night, on Channel 4 news, Cameron was being mocked for his lack of support for the 'refugees' (not migrants). Nothing new there.

It was given a bizarre twist, when one of the guests was a Jewish woman, nearing 90, who came to this country on kindertransport in 1939. The not-so-subtle point was how differently refugees were treated then. She tried to emote with the best of them, but her 'virtue signalling' was really pretty ordinary.'

This is becoming the humanitarian crisis of our lifetime. The UK's reputation for humanitarianism is being trashed and I mean trashed. Last night I heard the UK being compared unfavourably with Hungary.

Would you prefer it if he was helming a leaky rubber dinghy, off the coast of Turkey.

Eric Pickles was last seen mimicking a large inflatable, supposedly whilst on holiday. Indeed if he teamed up with Nicholas Soames they'd make an awesome flotilla and put the people smugglers out of business in a trice..

Watch out for Norwegians with harpoons.
  • Options
    Betfair market has gone "in play", which is a bit annoying.

Quite a few cheeky so-and-sos trying to get money on/off various candidates at ridiculous odds.

Corbyn at 1.04
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Is there a book on what time the result will be leaked?

Was the last one leaked early? I don't remember it being leaked...
  • Options

I've missed the back discussion on this but judging by this comment the ignorance levels are high. A large proportion of British Muslims are moderate and will be very happy at Saddiq's inclusiveness.

Brits tend to think that Muslim = IS whereas they actually form less than 0.0001% of muslims.
  • Options

Not long to go now ...

Can we have any guesses about who the BBC and Sky will have in their studios to give instant reactions?

Owen Jones
    Owen Jones
    Owen Jones

Why this jumped-up sixth former debater is always on the telly, beats me. Still, epitomises the Labour party really. Carry on imploding.
  • Options
    Roger said:

David Kendrick

Agreed. The Tories have come out of this appallingly, dragging down Britain.
  • Options
    Corbyn is indeed Britain's first X Factor leader , but the Yanks beat us to it with the election of the ''American Idol'' and preening poseur , Barak Hussein Obama !...both are symptomatic of a virtual reality created by the entertainment industry , merely the intertwining of Hollywood and politics
    I think it was Lenin who first recognised the potential when he claimed that'' Cinema is the greatest propaganda device ever created ''
    The real problem for Corbyn is that the vacuous TV watchers have a fickle short attention span and that failed talent show contestants are quickly forgotten ...I expect a short honeymoon period for Corbyn before he is laughed and ridiculed off the stage
  • Options
    Mr. Estobar, polling shows a vast majority either agree with Cameron's migration stance or want him to take a harder line.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Jonathan said:

JackW said:

saddened said:

Roger said:

David Kendrick

Watch out for Norwegians with harpoons.
    Well quite.

I understand Eric Pickles also cancelled a Japanese coastal holiday over concerns that their whalers would be unable to differentiate a swimming former Cabinet minister from their normal catch.

• Options
    For the Tories on here still scratching their heads and confidently predicting the implosion of all things Labour I'd suggest you pause, reflect and just remember your majority in the HoC is 9.

Politics is about to become lively.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Estobar said:

Roger said:

David Kendrick

In who's eyes?
  • Options
    Estobar said:

For the Tories on here still scratching their heads and confidently predicting the implosion of all things Labour I'd suggest you pause, reflect and just remember your majority in the HoC is 9.

Might be a problem if Labour wasn't about to elect a leader who will instantly increase the majority to 29 (DUP/UUP), fracture the opposition, and bring a whole load of Labour seats into play at the next election...

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

RE the Matt cartoon and the female barrister. she really is a charmer isn't she.. and Proudman isn't her "real " name

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/11243593/Matt-cartoons.html?frame=3437242

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11859971/Sexism-row-barrister-Charlotte-Proudman-wrote-vitriolic-email-to-her-elderly-grandmother-before-her-death.html

She should stand for the Labour Party, I am sure Harriet Harman would propose her.

If she changed her name by deedpoll then Proudman is her real name. Interesting that her PhD at Cambridge is in FGM. It would be useful to have some barristers who are versed in the subject.

She rather overreacted, and should have given the guy the brush off rather than spread it over Facebook, but doesn't deserve the twittermob lynching. Indeed does anyone deserve the twittermob?

Quite frankly I think you are far too sympathetic. The guy she slagged off didn't deserve what she did to him either It was deliberate and it was she who took to twitter IIRC.. If you put it out there, expect not everyone to agree with you.
    Twittermob lynchings are rarely edifying. Carter-Smith does seem to be a bit inappropriate, and one wonders how he treats women generally.
    You are missing the point. If she had not put it out on twitter she wouldn't have got what she received. Putting it on twitter, she hope to humiliate him. What she got back was entirely her own fault and no one else's.

He should not have said what he did, it was foolish in the modern world, but what she did was infinitely more deliberate and nasty., in fact really nasty.
    We obviously are not going to agree on this. His behaviour was sleazy and inappropriate and needed to be called out. Turning a blind eye to such behaviour, whether sexist or racist just builds an atmosphere where such "banter" is accepted. It needs to be exposed so others can come forward who are less forthright.

Charlotte Proudman has published some interesting work:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/stop-honour-killing-murder-women-oppresive-patriarchy?CMP=fb_gu

We need such people to raise the banner of equal rights at home and abroad. She is not some feminist moaning over her coffee, she is out there fighting for the rights of women in far more misogynist cultures than our own. Clearly the old goat only ogled her picture and didn't read her CV on Linkedin
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Roger said:

David Kendrick

Not that I wish to be rude but, to be honest, I couldn't give a toss what a minority of hand-wringing, moral-halo polishing Lefties think.

You're unrepresentative - and, more importantly, wrong - and you shall be ignored. You've got many many more years of this, so get used to it.

Cameron is doing the right thing, and has overwhelming public support.
  • Options

Goodnight all.

The next five years of British political history will be one heck of an experience: we will live through it all day-by-day, and it will be exciting. One day we will look back upon it, and we'll hold those strong memories of it for the rest of our lives.

Future generations will read about it with curiosity and interest. And not a little bit of.. WTF?

FIVE YEARS ?....I doubt it , five months sounds about right ...the Tories are clearly going to present Corbyn as a ''Threat to national security'' with his dubious friends and associates , but also with his present world view ...his questioning of the recent Drone attack on those IS creeps is just merely a hint of what's to come .....I suspect that Corbyn will suffer a devastating expose and be forced to resign
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Mr. Estobar, polling shows a vast majority either agree with Cameron's migration stance or want him to take a harder line.

'Do you agree that it's right to take out evil terrorists who are hell bent on destroying The Queen?' Yes or No I'm a moron
    'Do you agree that it's right to prevent merciless migrant traffickers from exploiting the poor and helpless?' Yes or No I'm a moron
    'Do you think Jeremy Corbyn's appalling left wing Jihadist IRA loving propaganda will be very very bad for Britain and plunge us back to 3-day weeks and pie-eating miners in No.10?' Yes or No I'm a moron

Answers to be completed for the establishment residing in Primpose Hill
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

Goodnight all.

The next five years of British political history will be one heck of an experience: we will live through it all day-by-day, and it will be exciting. One day we will look back upon it, and we'll hold those strong memories of it for the rest of our lives.

Future generations will read about it with curiosity and interest. And not a little bit of.. WTF?

FIVE YEARS ?....I doubt it , five months sounds about right ...the Tories are clearly going to present Corbyn as a ''Threat to national security'' with his dubious friends and associates , but also with his present world view ...his questioning of the recent Drone attack on those IS creeps is just merely a hint of what's to come .....I suspect that Corbyn will suffer a devastating expose and be forced to resign
    I expect the Parliamentary Labour Party will be a rich source of Corbyn stories (current and past) for the press over the next few months.

• Options
    Cromwell said:

Goodnight all.

We have the EU referendum, Scottish parliament election next year, the ongoing migration crisis and all sorts of interesting geopolitics developing and changing all the time. And perhaps - although I hope not - a new monarch.

Some events will be entirely unpredictable that, when we look back in 2020, we'll realise no-one predicted at the time.

It is going to be a heck of a ride.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

Goodnight all.

Who would Labour elect then? Quite possibly they'd re-elect him. Would you arrest the entire Party membership as traitors?

• Options

Estobar said:

Roger said:

David Kendrick

Not that I wish to be rude but, to be honest, I couldn't give a toss what a minority of hand-wringing, moral-halo polishing Lefties think.

You're unrepresentative - and, more importantly, wrong - and you shall be ignored. You've got many many more years of this, so get used to it.

Cameron is doing the right thing, and has overwhelming public support.
    Hear hear.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

'Do you agree that it's right to take out evil terrorists who are hell bent on destroying The Queen?' Yes or No I'm a moron
    'Do you agree that it's right to prevent merciless migrant traffickers from exploiting the poor and helpless?' Yes or No I'm a moron
    'Do you think Jeremy Corbyn's appalling left wing Jihadist IRA loving propaganda will be very very bad for Britain and plunge us back to 3-day weeks and pie-eating miners in No.10?' Yes or No I'm a moron

Answers to be completed for the establishment residing in Primpose Hill
    Who gave you the right to set the exam paper?

• Options
    Estobar said:

I made a mistake in assuming - and saying on here - that we'd have a quiet period in politics until next year. I was wrong. Farage's ridiculous flip-flopping over the leadership, the SNP's antics and now the Labour leadership election have, if anything, eclipsed the GE in entertainment terms.

Now, if only the Lib Dems hadn't managed to run such a well-organised and sensible leadership election ...

I think you're right. Politics is about to become more lively. I fear your mistake is in assuming that the liveliness will be in any way in Labour's favour.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

If she eserve the twittermob lynching. Indeed does anyone deserve the twittermob?

We obviously are not going to agree on this. His behaviour was sleazy and inappropriate and needed to be called out. Turning a blind eye to such behaviour, whether sexist or racist just builds an atmosphere where such "banter" is accepted. It needs to be exposed so others can come forward who are less forthright.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/23/stop-honour-killing-murder-women-oppresive-patriarchy?CMP=fb_gu

We need such people to raise the banner of equal rights at home and abroad. She is not some feminist moaning over her coffee, she is out there fighting for the rights of women in far more misogynist cultures than our own. Clearly the old goat only ogled her picture and didn't read her CV on Linkedin
    He seems a bit sleazy but said nothing that he couldn't have said to another man. Complimenting someone on a photo they have chosen to display publicly is not sexist.

She wants a career in the media and this has raised her profile, that's about it
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Cromwell said:

Goodnight all.

Who would Labour elect then? Quite possibly they'd re-elect him. Would you arrest the entire Party membership as traitors?

Actually I imagine the concern is that, having established that they can win, the left find a genuinely attractive candidate who's only handicap is that they are "of the left". Not someone who doesn't want the job, has never had any inclination of wanting the job and does not have 30 years of baggage behind them.

Tsipras type character.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    I suppose..on reflection.. being compared to Hungary is infinitely better than being compared to the South of France..home to British layabouts and sleazy Russians...and nobody does sleaze as well as they do..
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Estobar,

Perhaps I move in the wrong circles? I've yet to meet anyone who ...

(a) isn't sympathetic to the drowned child's family,
    (b) is unhappy that the two IS Brits were marmalised,
    (c) thinks we should open our borders.

They may not be right but it's what normal people think.

Perhaps you live in Primrose Park or whatever?

• Options
    alex. said:

Cromwell said:

Goodnight all.

Actually I imagine the concern is that, having established that they can win, the left find a genuinely attractive candidate who's only handicap is that they are "of the left". Not someone who doesn't want the job, has never had any inclination of wanting the job and does not have 30 years of baggage behind them.

Tsipras type character.

Alex, do you think pacifists are traitors? (I ask because you dodged my last question.)

• Options
    A thoughtful colleague this evening (who like me still quite likes Blair) said he voted for Corbyn not because he expected him to become PM but because it was necessary to stop the party's drift to becoming an ersatz Tory party, a little milder and a little more generous but essentially the same thing. He sees it as a resetting exercise to redefine Labour as a left-wing party - not necessarily indefinitely under Corbyn if he proved unpopular. I suspect Corbyn would think that a perfectly reasonable attitude.
    ==============================

Yes , that's what they intend to do but what actually happens will be completely unscripted
    It reminds me in some ways of what Gorbachev wanted to do by reforming the Soviet Union but it all collapsed alike a house of cards
    The LP is a hollowed out shell of its former self , hopelessly anachronistic and unable to compete in a postmodern UK , the last thing it needs is a so called leader who will reinforce those failures ; indeed , Jeremy Corbyn is going to lead the LP into oblivion
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    edited September 2015
    Morning all.

After months of threatening, is this the day Labour finally jumps off the cliff?
  • Options

They were both out of order. Any good work she does is irrelevant to her actions, which seem to be rooted more in 'look at me!' than in any genuine grievance.

I also think her actions reflect negatively on her professionalism.
  • Options
    GIN1138..YES..YES..YES..
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    they may have voted against assisted suicide in the commons, but it has certainly been legalised in the Labour party, Jeremy Corbyn the man who killed Labour
  • Options

alex. said:

Cromwell said:

Goodnight all.

Tsipras type character.

Alex, do you think pacifists are traitors? (I ask because you dodged my last question.)

Not something I've particularly thought about, I don't think so. Although pacifism comes in different forms and for different motivations. Many "pacifists" aren't really pacifists anyway in a literal sense.

I would never want an (ideological) pacifist to be in a position to influence decisions about the deployment of military forces though.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

A thoughtful colleague this evening (who like me still quite likes Blair) said he voted for Corbyn not because he expected him to become PM but because it was necessary to stop the party's drift to becoming an ersatz Tory party, a little milder and a little more generous but essentially the same thing. He sees it as a resetting exercise to redefine Labour as a left-wing party - not necessarily indefinitely under Corbyn if he proved unpopular. I suspect Corbyn would think that a perfectly reasonable attitude.
    ==============================

Yes , that's what they intend to do but what actually happens will be completely unscripted
    It reminds me in some ways of what Gorbachev wanted to do by reforming the Soviet Union but it all collapsed alike a house of cards
    The LP is a hollowed out shell of its former self , hopelessly anachronistic and unable to compete in a postmodern UK , the last thing it needs is a so called leader who will reinforce those failures ; indeed , Jeremy Corbyn is going to lead the LP into oblivion

Yes. It is an idea whose time has gone. And I do like the analogy with Gorbachev.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241

Corbyn = Jedward.

Love it David.

Everybody - See you all tomorrow it should be a momentous day.

Just poor Tory mockery , well below David's normal standards.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Estobar said:

Roger said:

David Kendrick

You and Roger are representative of a fairly silly minority; countries are not in a popularity contest. We won't get ignored in the playground or cold shouldered during the lunch break.

Countries have interests; protecting its populace is one of them. Come up with a well costed proposal for managing a higher net population increase (over and above the current trend) and we can talk. That should include where we get the additional healthcare and education professionals and so forth.

PS you're not allowed to hand wave 'infrastructure' into existence.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,574
    edited September 2015
    alex. said:

Is there any precedent for a man so untested at the forefront of British politics to reach such a high position? He's just going to crack very quickly under the strain isn't he? I haven't thought in great detail, but i'm struggling off the top of my head. Even people who spring to mind as being inexperienced you usually find they have held some Govt position or shadow cabinet role. Even Pitt the Younger had had a year as Chancellor!

You might be able to make some allowances if he was young, and his untested nature was simply a consequence of a rapid rise from a young age...

Alex, the only one I can think of is Lord George Bentinck in 1846-47 - a natural backbencher who happened, by a series of coincidences, to end up leading the Protectionist movement. He had never held government office, never had a job, and spent most of his time at race meetings - indeed, the only practical form of work he had ever done was exposing a betting scandal, although he won fame by donating a large sum of money voted to him as a testimonial for this to found a charity. He was a bad debater (it is said, although I'm not quite convinced it is true, that he never spoke in Parliament before he became leader) had no government experience, was actually driven to consider hiring a lawyer to speak on his behalf in Parliament(!) and ultimately resigned after less than two years because he voted for Jewish emancipation on principle and his fellow Protectionists went ape.

Then of course there was Disraeli, who was about the third choice to succeed Bentinck (after Lord Granby and J. C. Herries) who had never held government office either, but was an experienced campaigner and journalist.

However, they both had advantages denied to Corbyn. Bentinck was supported by his party - probably more so in fact than he realised. Disraeli was intelligent and a brilliant debater. The overall leadership of the party was also invested in the very highly respected Earl of Derby, who had had a distinguished career of public service including a spell in the cabinet. Corbyn is hated by most of his colleagues (it's becoming rather obvious why) and he is neither intelligent nor a good speaker. Moreover, he will be in sole charge.

The only other parallel that might be suggested is George Lansbury - but that's a poor parallel. Lansbury was a hugely experienced local politician, had been in parliament for ages, had served in Cabinet and on a number of crucial committees, and was well-known in the country. He was also a dogmatic and not overly-bright socialist pacifist, but there the parallel ends.

This is a car crash that will not end well. I am still bewildered that people who are supposedly both adult and passionate about politics and helping ordinary people cannot see how big a disaster it will be.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,129
    GIN1138 said:

Morning all.

After months of threatening, is this the day Labour finally jumps off the cliff?

If so, it may not be apparent for awhile. Every leader gets a honeymoon period, surely, and his enthusiasts may mask any cracks for some time, particularly if he wins handily.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    LOL @ Ken Livingstone.

"Will you be in line for a job"?

"I'll be 75 when Jeremy forms his first government. Unless he wants a minister for zimmer frames I'll be looking for something else to do."

Jezza would be 71. ("but he's a lot fitter!")

Also repeating his line comparing him to Nigel Farage (!). "Somebody people would like to have a chat with in the pub"(although Jezza doesn't like him saying that, surprise, surprise!)

Is there anything people like less that having a chat in the pub with a teetotaller?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Morning all.

Good morning. Well, I'm torn. Part of me wants to see it, but I suspect that's my darker side. I think the issue is that even if they haven't jumped off the cliff, they will be lead by a Burnham/Cooper (Booper?). That's not great either.
  • Options

They were both out of order. Any good work she does is irrelevant to her actions, which seem to be rooted more in 'look at me!' than in any genuine grievance.

Proudman is just capitalising on the age-old saying "there's no such thing as bad publicity". Expect to hear more of her identity politics ad nauseam.
  • Options

Evening all. What a weekend for politics nerds. Watching a major political party commit suicide is a riveting if somewhat disconcerting sight.

I don't know whether this has already been noted, so apologies if so: there is a delicious snippet in the detailed mayoral selection figures: Diane Abbot beat Tessa Jowell amongst the three-quidders in every round until she was eliminated in the fourth round.

Yes , that's the X Factor £3ers at work , voting for a loon like Abbot and rejecting the sensible choice of Tessa Jowell ......this is merely symptomatic of a social phenomena that is eating away at the soul of the West .....the death of the grown-up ...anti austerity , lack of self discipline , vacuous pleasure seeking , refusing to face a harsh reality and personal responsibility
  • Options

Hosanna Heysanna Sanna Sanna Ho
    Sanna Hey Sanna Ho Sanna
    Hey J C, J C won't you smile at me?
    Sanna Ho Sanna Hey Superstar

Can't get those lyrics out of my head at the moment

Seek help
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,071
    Morning all. So today is the day. Finally.

Comfy sofa - Check
    Large TV - Check
    Popcorn - Check
    Champagne on ice - Check
    Conservative party membership form, filled in and ready to send - Check

This will be the day that our grandkids will ask us about, 50 years from now. The day that the once great Labour Party killed itself.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

From June:

"The dramatic first major poll of the 2016 Mayor of London battle today reveals that Tory golden boy Zac Goldsmith would lose to Dame Tessa Jowell - but would battle Sadiq Khan to a dead heat.
    Exclusive research by YouGov reveals that former Olympics Minister Dame Tessa is currently ahead of both her Labour and Tory rivals as the choice of Londoners to succeed Boris Johnson.
    In a Jowell v Goldsmith run-off, she would win by 57 per cent to 43 per cent after excluding voters who are unsure and therefore unlikely to vote.
    If the final was between Khan and Goldsmith, there would be a 50-50 draw. However, with a huge number of undecided voters - some four in 10 - everything is still to play for."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/zac-goldsmith-would-lose-mayoral-race-to-tessa-jowell-but-finish-neck-and-neck-with-sadiq-khan-poll-10322781.htm

It may well be a dead heat now but after 8 months of the madness of Corbyn's antics I suspect the voters in London will be well and truly fed up with the Labour Party
  • Options
    fitalass said:

'The Butchers Apron'
    Why bother trolling on a cross party political site for grown ups? Its time we left this negative crap behind us and moved on in Scotland!

Dair said:

welshowl said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Astonishing footage of Corbyn minder pushing away a C4 news camera and Corbyn aggressively shouting 'get out of my way'
    https://twitter.com/Channel4News?lang=en-gb

He's got an appalling temper. Hates being challenged or scrutnized as he's never been challenged or scrutinized.

So, to add to the terrorist supporting, ISIS loving, IRA hugging, Bin Laden adoring, Chavez worshipping, quasi-Trotskyism... plus the chronic disloyalty, weird family life, hypocrite spouse and voodoo economics... he is actually not even that nice as a person, despite the claims, indeed he'd a bit of a ticking eggshell-personality time bomb.

Bravo, Labour. Bravo. They found possibly the single worst man to lead the party out of the entire male population of Great Britain.
    I wonder if Cameron should simply cut to the chase and call him out as a traitor.

He is.
    Well you can put me in the Leave camp tonight.

From the Times

George Osborne will be told that the European Union treaty change he wants to protect the City of London from eurozone interference will not be ready before a British referendum.

Mr Osborne is concerned that the eurozone’s in-built majority in the EU can jeopardise the economic interests of the City, Britain and other non-euro countries, which are sometimes absent when important decisions are taken.
    Yes I'm leaning leave now for sure. They're going to have to have renegotiated something pretty whizz bang to convince me. I think Merkel's antics have pushed me right to the edge with one foot over.
    I really don't get much of an impression that Merkel and most of the EU really cares if the UK leaves, in fact might even want it to happen.

Certainly I can't see them offering anything, there won't be a scurried rush to raise the Butchers Apron over Brussels should the polls swing again from In.
    Nothing negative about it, we have moved on.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    News all talking of a Corbyn win with the expectations from Labour he will but if he dosent I just have a feeling that's going to be worse than if he actually does. I mean how on earth does a century old party manage all by themselves to get into a position like this?

The fall out is Corbyn looses will be formidable.

The fallout of he actually wins will be equally formidable.

Snowflake just door stepped by Sky news on her way to London. She seriously does not look happy one little bit or as one shall we say, smiling and bubbly knowing indicators have gone her way.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Dair said:

MaxPB said:

I also find it hard to believe the Europeans will want a massive financial centre like the City on their doorstep without being able to have some level of governance so I expect special status will be endowed and in return for some level of regulatory oversight the City (or UK financial services in general) will get full trading rights (EU passport). It makes sense for the EU to have the City in the tent pissing out than have it outside the tent pissing into it.

The EU has pretty strong governance over every one of its non-EU neighbours. They will and do tell those countries exactly what to do and Iceland, Norway and Switzerland dutifully comply.

When they do step out of line - as Switzerland recently did in trying to stop Free Movement of People - they are quickly told to change and they do.
    The difference is we can nuke Brussels.
    Only if the US let us
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

Evening all. What a weekend for politics nerds. Watching a major political party commit suicide is a riveting if somewhat disconcerting sight.

I don't know whether this has already been noted, so apologies if so: there is a delicious snippet in the detailed mayoral selection figures: Diane Abbot beat Tessa Jowell amongst the three-quidders in every round until she was eliminated in the fourth round.

Yes , that's the X Factor £3ers at work , voting for a loon like Abbot and rejecting the sensible choice of Tessa Jowell ......this is merely symptomatic of a social phenomena that is eating away at the soul of the West .....the death of the grown-up ...anti austerity , lack of self discipline , vacuous pleasure seeking , refusing to face a harsh reality and personal responsibility
    The NHS has sapped our moral fibre for nearly 70 years, eh?

• Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    The prospect of a Jeremy Corbyn win this morning is like....

Nope. There is nothing I can liken it to. It is quite unique.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

True.

But its a trend encouraged by governments as they attempt to buy votes.

Take a look at the UK's current account deficit for one piece of evidence.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

A new day has dawned , has it not ....

It's still dark Jack. Apparently on May 2, 1997 Campbell had Blair being driven round the block to kill time to allow it to get light.
  • Options
    What's Corbyn going to be wearing at the result? Bear in mind this is probably the first time via news reports) a large chunk of the country will have ever capped eyes on him.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Cromwell said:

Khan won convincingly across all sections of the electorate, nothing to do with 3 quidders or x factor. I suspect Jez, will do the same.
  • Options

Unbelievably I agree with Root Vegetable
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Sixteen, I believe? 329 seats out of 642 (excluding SF, Speaker and deputies)
  • Options
    saddened said:

Cromwell said:

Khan won convincingly across all sections of the electorate, nothing to do with 3 quidders or x factor. I suspect Jez, will do the same.
    He was behind with the members at every round until the last?
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Good piece.

Dreadful for the country and for Labour if he wins. Even Cooper's whining about 'white men' would be preferable.

It is all over MD he has skooshed it.
  • Options
    YouGov/The Times North Britain Independence Poll

Yes 48 No 52
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Incidentally, on skimming previous threads there was a lot of talk comparing Khan and Livingstone. To get the Star Trek reference in early, let's play this out logically.

Ken Livingstone was elected mayor twice, in four attempts. He was elected once because he was the outsider, and Londoners genuinely believed he was somebody who passionately loved the city (that's the city of London, not 'The City' - nobody thought that!) and would do his best for them. He then rejoined Labour and won because he was their official candidate at a time when they were still riding high. He then stood again and lost to Boris Johnson by quite a wide margin, largely because people were put off by his left win message. I can't imagine his casual racism or his ravings about Cuba and Venezuela helped either. Johnson then had what I understand from my friends in London was a distinctly underwhelming four years as mayor, and stood for reelection at a moment when his party was very unpopular. Yet he won again.

Either we must therefore assume that Livingstone is personally toxic, or that his political message is (or both). While he is divisive and controversial, it is clear he can, when he wishes, command widespread personal support. Quite a large number of non-Labour people still say they believe he is someone who will put the city first. As it happens, I think they're wrong, but that's irrelevant. Therefore, the first seems implausible. That leaves the second. And Khan has none of the first - and far more of the second. He's also not got Livingstone's track record in local politics (which, whether you admire the man or not, was undoubtedly impressive in career terms).

If Livingstone couldn't take London on a left wing message against the egregious Johnson, the suggestion that Khan could on a more left wing message against a more centrist and serious candidate is one for the fairies. Even if he does, it will be by a narrow margin when under current circumstances even a man in a monkey suit, or for that matter a monkey on a stick, ought to be able to win London for Labour by a landslide.
  • Options

Not long to go now ...

Can we have any guesses about who the BBC and Sky will have in their studios to give instant reactions? I assume Harman'll be there in person.

It will not be instant , if anything like the recent Scottish dirge , few will be left listening by the time it gets to the result, an interminable serving of merde before even the deputy announced. Five minutes of torture was more than enough , just get it an hour later on the news without all the dross.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

Despite not being a particularly religious man myself, I see all the things you list as a result of the downturn of religious belief in the west. I would guess that religions were formed in the first place to deal with those issues the last time around

In many ways, the tensions between Islam and the west are a result of the downturn. It would probably have been easier for Muslims to integrate into a country that was robustly Christian than agnostic. It must be hard for a Muslim to feel part of a country that is blase about so many things that he is forbidden.
  • Options
    59% of Scots say the Scottish Government should get Westminster's permission to hold a second referendum. 26% think it should be held without Westminster's permission.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    John_M said:

Proudman is just capitalising on the age-old saying "there's no such thing as bad publicity". Expect to hear more of her identity politics ad nauseam.
    I believe it's called " performance rage."
  • Options
    Pauly said:

I really can't believe my eyes on how much renewable progress we have made without dooming ourselves with the energy protest group parties...
    http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
    The figures right now are pretty incredible.

And do you think 6am on a Saturday morning is anything like normal electricity usage ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Not long to go now ...

It will not be instant , if anything like the recent Scottish dirge , few will be left listening by the time it gets to the result, an interminable serving of merde before even the deputy announced. Five minutes of torture was more than enough , just get it an hour later on the news without all the dross.
    Malc, you're not being your usual sympathetic self. Think of those poor people, sitting on their fat wallets in a hot studio as they get paid to talk. Usually there's nothing to talk about, so they invent something that'll sell their next book or get people reading their column in the Daily Sunian TellyIndy Times. That requires real effort.

But today, just for once, they will have something important to talk about! It is your job as a proper EnglishmanScotsman to watch and listen to their fine words. Nay, it is your duty!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    edited September 2015
    Higher than the GE, Corbyn bringing out the non voters?

@theousherwood: Labour source has just told me - turnout at 76.3 per cent.
  • Options

doesn't deserve the twittermob lynching. Indeed does anyone deserve the twittermob?

More like an attention seeking ambitious feminist idiot trying to get up the greasy pole at any cost. Any normal person would just have sent him back a suitable "F**** O*** you sad git" message and left it at that.
    You should not give it out if you are not prepared to get it back.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cromwell said:

Despite not being a particularly religious man myself, I see all the things you list as a result of the downturn of religious belief in the west. I would guess that religions were formed in the first place to deal with those issues the last time around

In many ways, the tensions between Islam and the west are a result of the downturn. It would probably have been easier for Muslims to integrate into a country that was robustly Christian than agnostic. It must be hard for a Muslim to feel part of a country that is blase about so many things that he is forbidden.
    I think it was G. K. Chesterton who said that a people who do not believe in God do not believe in nothing, they believe in anything. I don't think the internet, with all its nutty conspiracy theories (Elvis and aliens, Kennedy and the CIA, Holocaust Denial etc.) is helping matters any either. Where you can escape into a dangerous fantasy at the click of a button, it becomes frighteningly easy to stay there.
  • Options

Turnout is a pretty meaningless statistic in a self-selectorate.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cromwell said:

Do you have any evidence that people who identify as "religious" are any less hedonistic than those who don't? Perhaps people become "religious" because hedonism has failed to deliver for them.

As for your view of Islam, the Crusades and the Reconquista in Spain suggest otherwise.

• Options

Estobar said:

Sixteen, I believe? 329 seats out of 642 (excluding SF, Speaker and deputies)
    Quite. A workable majority.

And once boundary changes occur and when either EVEL is enacted in a strengthened form/Scotland consigns itself to being a Eurozone fief, the Tories will be in a strong position.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Theo Usherwood
    @theousherwood
    Labour source has just told me - turnout at 76.3 per cent.
  • Options
    Years since the Conservatives won a working majority: 0
    Years since New Labour won a working majority: 10
    Years since Old Labour won a working majority: 49
  • Options
    edited September 2015

malcolmg said:

Not long to go now ...

Malc, you're not being your usual sympathetic self. Think of those poor people, sitting on their fat wallets in a hot studio as they get paid to talk. Usually there's nothing to talk about, so they invent something that'll sell their next book or get people reading their column in the Daily Sunian TellyIndy Times. That requires real effort.

But today, just for once, they will have something important to talk about! It is your job as a proper EnglishmanScotsman to watch and listen to their fine words. Nay, it is your duty!
    JJ , for certain I will not be listening to an hour's worth of their verbal you know what. Given result is a foregone conclusion makes it even more unlikely. Mind you given it is lashing it down I will have to find plenty to keep me busy indoors. Could be driven to drink early today.

PS : Interesting thing will be seeing all the losers who were slagging him off start the ar** licking to try and get jobs.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

Cromwell said:

I think it was G. K. Chesterton who said that a people who do not believe in God do not believe in nothing, they believe in anything. I don't think the internet, with all its nutty conspiracy theories (Elvis and aliens, Kennedy and the CIA, Holocaust Denial etc.) is helping matters any either. Where you can escape into a dangerous fantasy at the click of a button, it becomes frighteningly easy to stay there.
    I guess this thought process of mine is leading to the idea that if we were a fairly strict Christian country, then the choice for young muslims would be "be a strict muslim" or "adopt Christianity"... What we have instead is the option to be vaguely defined as muslim due to background, but in reality be part of a westernised X factor entitlement generation no different to any other, nothing to do with Islam, and this leads to religion being no more than a badge similar to those used in gang culture.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cromwell said:

------------

YES I AGREE , the problem with secularism and the death of Christendom is that the values and morality associated with it that has shaped the West for a millennium are also dying
    With the communications revolution , time and events have speeded up , like a documentary of the ''History of the world '' on fast forward and we are now hurtling into the future at an increasingly rapid pace ...the old certainties of religion and the wisdom of the past are gone , the foundations undermined and our borders are being GATE CRASHED by millions of Moslem migrants ; all in all , it seems like a perfect storm to me !

''By the pricking of my thumbs something wicked this way comes ''

• Options

Do you have any evidence that people who identify as "religious" are any less hedonistic than those who don't? Perhaps people become "religious" because hedonism has failed to deliver for them.

As for your view of Islam, the Crusades and the Reconquista in Spain suggest otherwise.

Those were land struggles, not migrations. Moreover, the rather large number of indigenous Muslims in the Crusader states were treated better under the Franks than they were under their previous colonial masters, an awkward fact for those who seek to condemn the Crusades as a long war of Christian aggression against Islam (e.g. Terry Jones) and something that is therefore frequently ignored. For example, Muslims did not have to pay a dhimmi tax to the Kings of Jerusalem, and were granted full access to legal proceedings including the right to swear on the Koran in court. It's not a complete coincidence that Salah ad-Din was a Kurd who reconquered them from outside rather than inside.

If you are interested, I would recommend Ousamah ibn-Munqidh's Memoirs of an Arab-Syrian Gentlemen, where he discusses a case he brought against a knight who had seized one of his ships (the court gave him full redress) and his discussion of the way a Crusader knight kept strict order in his township, including clamping down on an anti-Muslim riot. He also some very funny anecdotes about the lives of the Crusaders among themselves. I think it's mostly available online - try Fordham University's Internet Medieval Sourcebook.

With regard to the Reconquista, I don't know enough either way to say for definite.
  • Options
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Cromwell said:

I guess this thought process of mine is leading to the idea that if we were a fairly strict Christian country, then the choice for young muslims would be "be a strict muslim" or "adopt Christianity"... What we have instead is the option to be vaguely defined as muslim due to background, but in reality be part of a westernised X factor entitlement generation no different to any other, nothing to do with Islam, and this leads to religion being no more than a badge similar to those used in gang culture.
    A classic example to endorse your point would be this charming person, whom I don't think many Muslims would consider a good example of piety and devotion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4686410.stm
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good Morning all.

Well the decision having already been made, we must call today; results day.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Estobar said:

http://news.sky.com/story/1551119/could-jeremy-corbyn-win-a-general-election

For those who think Corbyn might not win. Must be a shock to the Primposies.

That is an interesting snapshot. I think it indicates that it will be really tough for any Labour leader to win in 2020 whichever shade of left they happen to identify with. But it doesn't look totally impossible. I have a feeling it will be tougher for Corbyn than it would be for a more moderate one with better communication skills. But given that Labour doesn't have one of those.....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    edited September 2015

When the Committee that was supposed to be scrutinising for "entryists" stopped meeting - that to me said it was futile. "What is the effing point in even bothering? We could throw out tens of thousands. Corbyn's still won this at a canter...."

EDIT: And who says they were non-voters at the General Election? FIrst, there's all those amongst who voted Tory in May.... Because it was the politically engaged anyway, you would expect turnout to be higher than at the General.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited September 2015
    I presume Ed M as the previous winner will be there to hand over the levers of Lab leadership to JC - a lecturn, keys to a pink bus and a large stone tablet? These might work well for JC.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If you are interested, I would recommend Ousamah ibn-Munqidh's Memoirs of an Arab-Syrian Gentlemen, where he discusses a case he brought against a knight who had seized one of his ships (the court gave him full redress) and his discussion of the way a Crusader knight kept strict order in his township, including clamping down on an anti-Muslim riot. He also some very funny anecdotes about the lives of the Crusaders among themselves. I think it's mostly available online - try Fordham University's Internet Medieval Sourcebook.

With regard to the Reconquista, I don't know enough either way to say for definite.
    The Reconquista was as complex as you can imagine. El Cid fought both for and against Moslems. Christians became more militant later.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Cromwell said:

A classic example to endorse your point would be this charming person, whom I don't think many Muslims would consider a good example of piety and devotion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4686410.stm
    Yes, though to be fair, his apology seemed thoughtful & sincere, rather than "I apologise IF I HAVE OFFENDED ANYONE"
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Talk on Sky that Corbyn has won 2/3rds of the vote...