Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Marf cartoon at the start of what’ll be a busy polling ni

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

Y0kel said:

Greece isn't so valuable for its location, the Russians can go elsewhere in the region Its valuable because its in NATO, and therefore has plenty to share. If it wasn't for that let the Russians bail them, Putin is sitting playing high stakes poker with a pair of twos in his hands. Its the West that needs to grow a set and call the bluff.

As regards UKIP. I'm not convinced at all they will play a part in a coalition because they will have next to bugger all seats to negotiate with.

As a Texas Hold'em poker player, I like your analogy but a pair of twos is not a bad hand to have pre-flop. The odds are a pair of twos heads up beats any other non-pocket pair, it has a better chance of winning even than Ace and King suited. However a pair of twos is worthless if there are multiple players who continue in the game as unless something goes your way, once more info is shown someone else now is almost guaranteed to be ahead.

It can make sense for the person with a low pocket pair to be aggressive from the start to remove as many players from the game as possible, if not take the victory straight away. This is what Russia is doing. If everyone calls Russia out and continues then they won't be strong, but nobody trusts every other player and is uncertain how to act.

The problem is that Greece holds 2 7 off suit (worst hand in the game), Germany has Ace King suited but has been burnt recently. The Netherlands holds some picture cards but doesn't have a very deep stack and isn't certain they want to go all in against Russia etc
    Russia is doing what the Spartans did to the Athenians. Vassal allies will eventually flip when an overbearing arrogant master forces them to act against their own interests.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,434
    currystar said:

One thing that's not been mentioned in this campaign is the preliminary first quarter GDP figures released on Tuesday. There were signs of slowdown in January, bet Osborne has his fingers crossed.

There is no slowdown in construction. It is as busy as it has ever been
    But the ONS estimates of construction generally make the general assessment of Ed on here look pretty excellent so anything could happen with the corrections only being made after the election.

I think the economy has been growing pretty steadily and would expect figures close to Q4 but they can be pretty random,
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I see many are getting overexcited with Greece again, calm down, we have been on the same level of doom with Greece many many times before over the past 6 years.

Although the EU's economic performance is worse than the Soviet one in the 1980's, even the Soviets lasted 13 years of economic crisis before they collapsed.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited April 2015
    TELEGRAPH: Labour minister attacks Miliband

Edit:- Headline doesn't live up to anything...it is Lord Jones...last seen doing a UKIP conference speech.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

TGOHF said:

Survation supplimentaries.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/general-election-2015-ed-miliband-5571079#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Labour still trails the Conservatives on the economy by 39% to 24%.

Excluding the economy, supplementary questions are quite good for Labour. Lead on NHS, immigration, education and Tories only for the rich and people worse off.

No wonder the Tories are going 100% on economic stability vs chaos wrapped up in Labour + SNP attack, because it doesn't seem the public think much of any of their other policies / their record.
    Which is quite frustrating, as the conservatives have a really good story to tell on welfare reform, education, taxation and employment.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,236

Cyclefree said:

Yes - and as someone who is also half-Irish I can remember a time when having any sort of Irish association was not a good thing to have.

Nonetheless, when people say horrible and outrageous things, you have a choice: you can choose to be offended and try and shut them up. The baby option. Or you can ignore. People who want to be rude and offensive generally want a reaction. There's no need to give them one. Or you can call them out on what they have said by having and winning the argument. It's those who are afraid of argument or afraid that they will lose it who try and prevent the argument even happening.

But this use of boo-words: "racist" - "Islamophobic" - "Fascist" - whatever, is the politics of the playground. It would be laughable were the consequences not so serious.

No, the racists, islamaphobes, and fascists are undertaking the politics of the playground. If they are not called out on it, then it will spread outside of the playground.

And if such words are misused, then the people misusing them - or worse, hiding by misusing them - should be called out. But as long as people who are genuinely racist, islamaphobic, or fascist exist, then people should be able to call them such.
    If people are genuinely racist or fascist by all means call them that. But you know as well as I do that that is not what is happening. And nor is it what is likely to happen. These words have been - like some sort of magic - vested with a power which means that people are afraid of being called it rather than willing to engage in argument. And I will not use the term "Islamophobia" because, to my mind, it is a meaningless term which varies in its meaning depending on the user, is almost invariably used in an ad hominem way and, frankly, because I think it perfectly OK for people to have an irrational fear of an idea, daft as it may be.

If someone unjustly insults a Muslim as an individual I will call them out on that. But I don't need made up words to do that.

Frankly when I see it used I'm inclined to think that the person is using it as a substitute for thought. Or as a way of shutting down the argument. (Again, I don't mean this to apply it to you.)

Anyway, am off now. Thanks - as always - for the debate.

• Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    NoEasyDay said:

JEO said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

Greece isn't so valuable for its location, the Russians can go elsewhere in the region Its valuable because its in NATO, and therefore has plenty to share. If it wasn't for that let the Russians bail them, Putin is sitting playing high stakes poker with a pair of twos in his hands. Its the West that needs to grow a set and call the bluff.

As regards UKIP. I'm not convinced at all they will play a part in a coalition because they will have next to bugger all seats to negotiate with.

The Russians are using Greece in an attempt to weaken eu sanctions over Ukraine.
    The Greeks are using the Russians and the threat of trying to weaken sactions to get money out of the Troika. Oh and its also Greece returning to its traditional foreign relations role as a troublemaker.
    Well yes maybe. The biggest threat is for the one Greece gave to theRU that if they are under that much threat they would issue EU passports to all and sundry. Given the problems in the Med at the moment that has to be a serious threat.

I think it was also discussed on here some weeks ago they have an Euro printing press as well. Oh what fun they could have with that !!
    Surely the euro zone would immediately issue a new series of notes, and only accept serial numbers printed before a certain date?
    And if Greece started giving out EU passports, other EU nations would issue an "emergency brake" and stop allowing Greek citizens to benefit from free movement of labour. Greece would be less with several million Syrian and Eritrean refugees as nationals.
    Greece made its IMF payment last month by passing an overnight law giving the central government access to local council funds and the state pensions fund.

I can see a mitary coup happening if the Syrizia government went ahead with its threats of handing out EU passports to ISIS terrorists.
    Hmmmm...i read nowhere about a law being passed and i read the greek newspapers and I saw no threat from anyone who counts about handing out passports. And a military coup no its not 1969.
    Although my history needs brushing up the coup was 67 to 74....not 69.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

And if Greece started giving out EU passports, other EU nations would issue an "emergency brake" and stop allowing Greek citizens to benefit from free movement of labour. Greece would be less with several million Syrian and Eritrean refugees as nationals.

Absolutely, ...".think of the havoc that would cause though under freedom of movement. It's easy to throw in preventive measures but most of not all would be against the ethos of the treaties signed.

They would be hung by their own petard.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,025
    Ukip 1.55 from 1.67 in S Thanet on Betfair this evening
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,031
    NoEasyDay said:

A euro printing press really !!! Where did you see that, not that i am doubting you

Each of the Euro nations has its own Euro printing press. Each nation is responsible for printing its own Euro notes and bearing the cost of the printing. The amounts printed are supposed to be approved by the ECB.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Cyclefree said:

Yes - and as someone who is also half-Irish I can remember a time when having any sort of Irish association was not a good thing to have.

Nonetheless, when people say horrible and outrageous things, you have a choice: you can choose to be offended and try and shut them up. The baby option. Or you can ignore. People who want to be rude and offensive generally want a reaction. There's no need to give them one. Or you can call them out on what they have said by having and winning the argument. It's those who are afraid of argument or afraid that they will lose it who try and prevent the argument even happening.

But this use of boo-words: "racist" - "Islamophobic" - "Fascist" - whatever, is the politics of the playground. It would be laughable were the consequences not so serious.

No, the racists, islamaphobes, and fascists are undertaking the politics of the playground. If they are not called out on it, then it will spread outside of the playground.

And if such words are misused, then the people misusing them - or worse, hiding by misusing them - should be called out. But as long as people who are genuinely racist, islamaphobic, or fascist exist, then people should be able to call them such.
    That is three such different things - race, religion and a joke political philosophy no one has taken remotely seriously for three generations - that you just come across as someone who, like Henry Root in his letter to the Evening Standard, wishes to protest most strongly about everything.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

The Russians are using Greece in an attempt to weaken eu sanctions over Ukraine.
    The Greeks are using the Russians and the threat of trying to weaken sactions to get money out of the Troika. Oh and its also Greece returning to its traditional foreign relations role as a troublemaker.
    Well yes maybe. Greece stated that if they are under that much threat they would issue EU passports to all and sundry. Given the problems in the Med at the moment that has to be a serious threat.

I think it was also discussed on here some weeks ago they have an Euro printing press as well. Oh what fun they could have with that !!
    Greek threats will be real if they start using their vetoes on EU & NATO matters if they don't get payed, that's the most valuable thing they have, the Americans might be nervous that they might but it up for sale to the highest bidder, after all they are desperate for hard currency to pay off the euro-bailout.
    Good point!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    NoEasyDay said:

JEO said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

Well yes maybe. The biggest threat is for the one Greece gave to theRU that if they are under that much threat they would issue EU passports to all and sundry. Given the problems in the Med at the moment that has to be a serious threat.

Surely the euro zone would immediately issue a new series of notes, and only accept serial numbers printed before a certain date?
    Greece made its IMF payment last month by passing an overnight law giving the central government access to local council funds and the state pensions fund.

I can see a mitary coup happening if the Syrizia government went ahead with its threats of handing out EU passports to ISIS terrorists.
    Hmmmm...i read nowhere about a law being passed and i read the greek newspapers and I saw no threat from anyone who counts about handing out passports. And a military coup no its not 1969.
    I have just come back from dinner with 3 of my Greek colleagues. That is how the IMF payment was made. There is not much left even in these kitties so council workers and pensioners are getting worried how they will be paid.

The "Defence" ministers comments can be seen here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/greece-threatens-to-unleash-wave-of-migrants-on-the-rest-of-europe-including-isis-jihadists-10097432.html

That sounds like a government on the brink of collapse to me, the military may be the only people who can keep order if it kicks off.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    FalseFlag said:

Y0kel said:

As a Texas Hold'em poker player, I like your analogy but a pair of twos is not a bad hand to have pre-flop. The odds are a pair of twos heads up beats any other non-pocket pair, it has a better chance of winning even than Ace and King suited. However a pair of twos is worthless if there are multiple players who continue in the game as unless something goes your way, once more info is shown someone else now is almost guaranteed to be ahead.

It can make sense for the person with a low pocket pair to be aggressive from the start to remove as many players from the game as possible, if not take the victory straight away. This is what Russia is doing. If everyone calls Russia out and continues then they won't be strong, but nobody trusts every other player and is uncertain how to act.

The problem is that Greece holds 2 7 off suit (worst hand in the game), Germany has Ace King suited but has been burnt recently. The Netherlands holds some picture cards but doesn't have a very deep stack and isn't certain they want to go all in against Russia etc
    Russia is doing what the Spartans did to the Athenians. Vassal allies will eventually flip when an overbearing arrogant master forces them to act against their own interests.
    You touched a Cold War analogy there.
    It is true that the Pelloponesian War and the Cold War share many similarities even down to political & economic systems, diplomatic treaties and length.

But communist Sparta won over democratic Athens because there were no nuclear weapons to freeze the war until the Spartans became greedy for money and goods that the capitalist system provided.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

I noticed that. Some of the other bookies have shortened their odds on UKIP and lengthened on Con and Lab.

NoEasyDay said:

A euro printing press really !!! Where did you see that, not that i am doubting you

Each of the Euro nations has its own Euro printing press. Each nation is responsible for printing its own Euro notes and bearing the cost of the printing. The amounts printed are supposed to be approved by the ECB.
    Greece has it's own printing press for Euros.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    currystar said:

One thing that's not been mentioned in this campaign is the preliminary first quarter GDP figures released on Tuesday. There were signs of slowdown in January, bet Osborne has his fingers crossed.

There is no slowdown in construction. It is as busy as it has ever been
    I will be surprised if there isn't a small dip in Manufacturing. However, I don't think the rate will drop much even if it does drop.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,133
    Just regarding Greece and turning on "The Euro Printing Press". Greece is allowed to print Euros according to very strict rules, and all their notes are prefixed to show who it was that did the printing.

However, Greece only has a license (and the plates) to print €10 banknotes. This makes it quite difficult for them to flood the system with high value notes.

Furthermore, I suspect that new plates would rapidly be distributed for a new €10 design (and such work may already be in progress), and there would be a rapid switch over.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    surbiton said:
    I'm pretty sure he hasn't done a poll. He'll have crunched existing numbers from other polls and made a prediction.

He's not got a good record in the UK.

Not worthy of any attention
  • Options
    isam said:

What are Con and Labour ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2015
    Ugh at ComRes!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

Why is Ali coming in before Stokes?

Stokes is a much better bat than Ali and a genuine six, Ali cannot play fast bowling and won't last more than two tests against the Aussies. Another poor decision from captain and management.

A shambolic last 15 minutes for England.

As for the Ashes, unless England can find a genuine pace bowler whose stock delivery is 90mph+ and an opener of aggressive intent they will get blown away.
    I'm watching Fiorentina make their way to the semis- go the Viola. I can hear the stadium from my apartment and wished I had gone.
    England has to play aggressive cricket. Times have changed, and if they flap around at 2 for fifty overs or so, we will be all out for 150 in the summer.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    GET IN SURVATION/ COMRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    Squirrel down...I repeat squirrel down....
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    We'll take more care of you
    Cameron!
    Cameron!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,133

NoEasyDay said:

True and not true: not every country gets to print every denomination. See the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_banknotes) to see who gets to print which. Intriguingly, only the Germans and Austrians ever get to print the high value (€200+) banknotes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,013
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

I noticed that. Some of the other bookies have shortened their odds on UKIP and lengthened on Con and Lab.

NoEasyDay said:

Greece has it's own printing press for Euros.
    Cash is a small part of the total money supply these days. And what can you do with €10 notes
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    The day the polls turned (again)
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

The day the polls turned (again)

Lol
  • Options
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,140
    Cyclefree said:

Yes - see my post about "Catholicophobia".

Islamophobia means an irrational fear of Islam a religion. Now setting aside the argument about whether a fear of Islam is irrational (given what it says about Jews, women, gays and non-Muslims, such a fear might justifiably be described as rational), it is a word which is used to stop criticism of a religion and also criticism of individuals. So it is a marvellously malleable word which, much as in Alice in Wonderland, means whatever the user wants it to mean.

And it has become - much like Fascism - in the words of George Orwell: "“The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies "something not desirable"...

So someone like Rahman used it - and the accusation of racism - to protect himself from criticism and to attack others in a wholly unscrupulous and malicious way.

I fear the confusion is coming from your definition in the first sentence. The dictionary seems to cover fear of individuals, culture (in some defs) as well as religion.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Islamophobia
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/islamophobia
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/islamophobia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia
    ... and more.

Rahman's use of the word was stupid. That does not make the word itself stupid.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    New thread
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Squirrel down...I repeat squirrel down....

Basil after a bad start to the day is buzzing. Only Yougov can spoil it for him now.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

Well yes maybe. Greece stated that if they are under that much threat they would issue EU passports to all and sundry. Given the problems in the Med at the moment that has to be a serious threat.

It was discussed on a thread here a few weeks ago.... I have no idea if it's true but the statement was generally accepted by the PB forum who if they detect Bs normally go for the exposed jugular.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Good polls.

I have always believed that Labour will get 32/33 but I have always thought there is a chance that Labour voters just don't turnout and they get 28/29. Scaremongering motivated last time but has lost its potency.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Moses_ said:

Speedy said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

Greek threats will be real if they start using their vetoes on EU & NATO matters if they don't get payed, that's the most valuable thing they have, the Americans might be nervous that they might but it up for sale to the highest bidder, after all they are desperate for hard currency to pay off the euro-bailout.
    Good point!
    If they put their vote in NATO up for sale to the highest bidder, including Russia, then they are not a reliable ally and should be kicked out, period. It will be a strategic loss, but having them on the outside is far less of a danger than having them on the inside in those circumstances.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,031
    rcs1000 said:

Just regarding Greece and turning on "The Euro Printing Press". Greece is allowed to print Euros according to very strict rules, and all their notes are prefixed to show who it was that did the printing.

However, Greece only has a license (and the plates) to print €10 banknotes. This makes it quite difficult for them to flood the system with high value notes.

Furthermore, I suspect that new plates would rapidly be distributed for a new €10 design (and such work may already be in progress), and there would be a rapid switch over.

Um. Not so Robert. Although your basic point is probably correct about the difficulty in flooding the market, Greece also has plates for the 20 Euro note as well. It is just that they were not assigned to print them this year or last. But they did print them in 2013.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cyclefree said:

In response to Sean Fear who said this:

"Ken Livingstone was still defending Lutfur Rahman on LBC."

I have no polite word to describe Livingstone.

It is quite simply shameful for the Labour party that a man such as him should still be a member let alone its official candidate at the last London Mayoral election.

The Labour party were quite willing to tolerate Rahman when he was a Labour man. Their conduct when they deselected himin favour of some other ethnic minority councillor was severely criticised by the judge. If you think of voters as members of communities to be patronised and appeased and engaged with only through leaders who can harvest votes for you; if you think that some sort of identity is the only significant fact about a person (their race / skin colour / sex etc) why wouldn't you behave in the way Rahman has done?

If having people living here, whose parents were born here not speaking English makes it easier to get their votes why would you bother with the whole integration malarkey. It makes my blood boil that there are places within walking distance of where I'm sitting right now where we have communities who have so little connection with this country that they cannot be bothered to learn its language but are entitled to vote - and that we have allowed this state of affairs to develop because it either benefited some of us or because we were too scared to challenge it and too feeble to insist that British law should apply in Britain.

Shame on Rahman, Livingstone and all those who facilitated and turned a blind eye to this debasement of our politics and our country.

I know I keep saying it to you - but well said
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,140
    Ishmael_X said:

Cyclefree said:

That is three such different things - race, religion and a joke political philosophy no one has taken remotely seriously for three generations - that you just come across as someone who, like Henry Root in his letter to the Evening Standard, wishes to protest most strongly about everything.
    Urrrrm, they were Ms Free's examples from her previous post ...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes · 58 secs58 seconds ago  London, England
    Hearing Survation poll in Thanet South giving 9% lead for @Nigel_Farage . Checking.

• Options
    initforthemoneyinitforthemoney Posts: 736
    edited April 2015
    Jim Murphy on Scotland 2015 at the moment. I'm racking my brain, but in the nine years I've been living in Scotland I can't remember a SLABber sounding positive. There must be plenty of examples but none spring to mind. The message always seems to be that you're least doomed with SLAB.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Just rejoice at that news!!
  • Options
    Now he is accusing the interviewer of displaying a politics of pessimism!
  • Options

Why is Ali coming in before Stokes?

Stokes is a much better bat than Ali and a genuine six, Ali cannot play fast bowling and won't last more than two tests against the Aussies. Another poor decision from captain and management.

Given we don't have a decent spinner, he must be one of the first on the teamsheet and his first class batting average is considerably higher than that of Stokes.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Survation. ‏@Survation 26m26 minutes ago
    NEW POLL:
    South Thanet. Fieldwork April 22
    Farage/UKIP 39%
    Mackinlay/CON 30%
    Scobie/LAB 26%
    Driver/GRE 2%
    Timpson/LD 2%
    Others 1%

And now good night. :)