Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Marf cartoon at the start of what’ll be a busy polling ni

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,240
    edited April 2015
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

I seem to recall some critical talk from some pundits and politicians around the time of the Woolas case about judges deciding things rather than voters, which struck me as a peculiar position given the law, controlled by parliament, was just being enforced.
    Politicians failing to understand that they too are subject to the law and that if the voting process is subverted voters are not deciding anything.

The judgment deals with this point right at the start.

The Labour party will be grateful that it will likely be in charge of Tower Hamlets again but will, doubtless, do nothing at all about the underlying issues described by the judgment, namely, the sense of victimhood, grievance, isolation and misuse of accusations of racism and Islamophobia which allow

And then we wonder why young men and women from such communities run away to become murderers.
    I must say I was surprised the judge included a passage about being surprised Labour itself did not bring the petition. Given his afterword comments on the need to uphold the wider dangers of ignoring abuses of authority out of fear of accusations of racism and homophobia, and it feels like he really wanted to make sure people would get the message this time about everyone, parties included, not ignoring these things.
    Agreed. He made some suggestions which ought to be taken up.

Frankly - and I've said this before on here - the word "Islamophobia" is a stupid word which has been and is being used to stop people saying what needs to be said. We should stop using it. No religion is beyond criticism and no person following any religion is beyond criticism. Nor for that matter is anyone who is a member of an ethnic minority. No-one should use some characteristic they cannot change - or a belief which they can - as some sort of free pass to make themselves immune from criticism. That is the sorry pass that identity politics - identity bollocks - has brought us to and it is time, long past the time, frankly, that we say "enough is enough".

"Islamophobia" is a term that is ideal for bullies who see themselves as victims.
    And we've had an example today of bullies from other religious groups trying to stop something they don't like - http://hurryupharry.org/2015/04/23/protests-and-disruption-shut-down-nanak-shah-fakir/

If every religious and non-religious bully gets in on the act, very soon none of us will be able to say anything at all.

Edited: Sorry this is in response to Sean F.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883

Survation tweeting new polling out at 10pm.

Rush job after the Mirror didn't like the first poll? ;)

Hopefully a constituency poll
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    RobD said:

Survation. ‏@Survation 5m5 minutes ago
    POLL ALERT: We'll have new polling out at 10pm. Stay tuned.

Strange

I think the numbers earlier were supposed to be embargoed until now?
    Is that all

OK thanks
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    Carola said:

Just catching up - but Survation gave another poll out at 10pm?

Well well well. Surely a different outcome or why else do it? Was there anything unusual in the data for the other one?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    Due to the shear number of polls we are bound to have some 1 SD and 2 SD outliers. Which those are though we can never be sure of at any moment in time !
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    RobD said:

Survation tweeting new polling out at 10pm.

Rush job after the Mirror didn't like the first poll? ;)

May2015 will be happy......

*innocent face*
    South Thanet I reckon
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    It can't be a second poll, surely?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Indeed. But from what I remember of our last encounter on this I think in substance we don't really disagree that much. I do not abide by those who attack individual Muslims for being Muslims (anymore than I can abide those who attack a Scotsman for being Scottish).

But I make a distinction - important in my mind - between an individual and an idea. And I think there are those who unscrupulously - not you, I hasten to add - who have deliberately confused attacking an individual and attacking a religion by creating a word to make it seem as if criticism of the latter is the same as the former. It has been a largely successful attempt to shut people up. And I refuse to be told what I can and cannot say. I refuse - as Christopher Hitchens once so memorably put it - to be spoken to like that by the perennially offended cry-baby.

I'm afraid that there is too much evidence that the use of this word has been used maliciously and dishonourably to prevent people from saying and doing what needed and still needs saying and doing.

Indeed. The distinction between individuals and the ideas they espouse is fundamental. It is not an attack on Roman Catholics to condemn the doctrine that the pope of Rome has a plenitude of temporal and spiritual power, that he may depose emperors, that he may pardon any mortal sins, even before their commission etc...
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    JEO said:

taffys said:

Lessons won't be learned if that happens. Greece cannot be bailed out forever.

If the Greeks are stupid enough to elect a government that will sell their country down the river to a tyrant for a few pieces of gold, that is their look out.

That country has been indulged for far too long. It;s time it grew up.

Trying to buy Greece into your camp will just be an endless money pit. Let the Russians do that if they want: it'll bankrupt them too.
    The Greeks (most of them ) aren't stupid. They never expected tsiparas and his knobhead mate baroufakas to deliver everything they promised. It was a vote of despair, and the hope that if they pushed hard enough they might get something....after Pasok delivered only misery.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    MP_SE said:
    That is astonishing.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sounds like it's different stuff

@DamianSurvation: Two election poll releases in one day? Yes, we have some really cool stuff coming at 10pm, stay tuned. #pollercoaster
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    RobD said:

SURELY NOT !
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Damian Lyons Lowe ‏@DamianSurvation 3m3 minutes ago

Two election poll releases in one day? Yes, we have some really cool stuff coming at 10pm, stay tuned. #pollercoaster
  • Options
    I hope Farage does win in South Thanet. It'd be nice to see him speaking in the Commons as opposed to Brussels, and with as far as he has managed to take the party (how much down to him and how much circumstance obviously up for debate), a personal triumph like that would not be unwarranted.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Greece isn't so valuable for its location, the Russians can go elsewhere in the region Its valuable because its in NATO, and therefore has plenty to share. If it wasn't for that let the Russians bail them, Putin is sitting playing high stakes poker with a pair of twos in his hands. Its the West that needs to grow a set and call the bluff.

As regards UKIP. I'm not convinced at all they will play a part in a coalition because they will have next to bugger all seats to negotiate with.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It is.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,063
    kle4 said:

I hope Farage does win in South Thanet. It'd be nice to see him speaking in the Commons as opposed to Brussels, and with as far as he has managed to take the party (how much down to him and how much circumstance obviously up for debate), a personal triumph like that would not be unwarranted.

The brutal mathematical logic of the Commons is harsh on small parties. If Farage is leading one to three MPs out of 650, he will be seen about as often as Plaid Cymru.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    surbiton said:

Something that is worth looking as is the votes of the SLAB MPs in the 2010 Labour leadership election.

Did they vote primarily for Ed? I’d guess they did, as Ed presented himself as the most left wing candidate.

So, Ed’s position among his MPs will be further weakened once SLAB has been removed.

There is certainly a seat range when it is in Ed’s interest to enter a coalition, but not the Labour party’s.

Can you tell me when did the Labour Party last stab it's elected leader in the back ? I am not talking of circumstances like the putsch to get rid of Blair which was a Blair-Brown matter.

I mean when an election was called to depose a leader.

The Labour Party does not do such things. It may not always be a good idea but that's how we are.
    When did the Labour Party last stab an elected leader in the back ?

Andrew Robert McIntosh in 1981.

He was the democratically elected leader of the Labour Group on the Greater London Council.

The back-stabber was one Kenneth Robert Linvingstone.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    So at 10pm there is a ComRes, the daily Yougov and a second Survation of the day?
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Liking 'pollercoaster'.
  • Options

RobD said:

It is.
    A different national VI poll ?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Frankly - and I've said this before on here - the word "Islamophobia" is a stupid word which has been and is being used to stop people saying what needs to be said. We should stop using it. No religion is beyond criticism and no person following any religion is beyond criticism. Nor for that matter is anyone who is a member of an ethnic minority. No-one should use some characteristic they cannot change - or a belief which they can - as some sort of free pass to make themselves immune from criticism. That is the sorry pass that identity politics - identity bollocks - has brought us to and it is time, long past the time, frankly, that we say "enough is enough".

"I've said this before on here - the word "Islamophobia" is a stupid word "

You may have said it before: it doesn't make you right, though. But I fear this is one thing we will have to disagree on.
    Indeed. But from what I remember of our last encounter on this I think in substance we don't really disagree that much. I do not abide by those who attack individual Muslims for being Muslims (anymore than I can abide those who attack a Scotsman for being Scottish).

But I make a distinction - important in my mind - between an individual and an idea. And I think there are those who unscrupulously - not you, I hasten to add - who have deliberately confused attacking an individual and attacking a religion by creating a word to make it seem as if criticism of the latter is the same as the former. It has been a largely successful attempt to shut people up. And I refuse to be told what I can and cannot say. I refuse - as Christopher Hitchens once so memorably put it - to be spoken to like that by the perennially offended cry-baby.

I'm afraid that there is too much evidence that the use of this word has been used maliciously and dishonourably to prevent people from saying and doing what needed and still needs saying and doing.
    Perennially offended cry baby? I shall have to remember that one, very good. The permanently offended and self-censorers due to fear of the former, are one of the things that cause me the most despair about the country. I hope the trend can be beaten back.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

It is.
    Yes
  • Options
    I forgot to note - as a EDM PM After NE backer - Cameron at 6/4 is starting to look like value. At the moment, the Coalition is looking likely for over 300 seats, and if it finishes 35-29 I would find it hard to gainsay his return as Prime Minister.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited April 2015

Something that is worth looking as is the votes of the SLAB MPs in the 2010 Labour leadership election.

Did they vote primarily for Ed? I’d guess they did, as Ed presented himself as the most left wing candidate.

So, Ed’s position among his MPs will be further weakened once SLAB has been removed.

There is certainly a seat range when it is in Ed’s interest to enter a coalition, but not the Labour party’s.

You can see the results here. A couple of points.

1. Although Ed was behind David in the MP and CLP sections he wasn't *that* far behind, otherwise David would have won overall despite losing the Union vote.

2. After the fall of Scotland the locus of power in the Labour party shifts decisively to London. I can see a number of prominent Ed backers among London Labour MPs.

3. I don't recognise enough Scottish Labour MPs to easily work out if they backed Ed over David, but it's interesting that the two most prominent Scottish Labour MPs in the current election campaign (Alexander and Murphy) both voted for David over Ed. While Scotland's voters is a bit to the left of England, I'm not certain the same is true of Labour MPs, who for some years have often been parachuted in by the party hierarchy - this is part of the problem that is seeing them being devoured by the SNP, of course - so your reasoning is probably a bit off anyway.

4. I can count.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

It is.
    Yes
    Different client - Labour lead of 4 will be interesting for their credibility.
  • Options
    EPG said:

kle4 said:

The brutal mathematical logic of the Commons is harsh on small parties. If Farage is leading one to three MPs out of 650, he will be seen about as often as Plaid Cymru.
    A fair point. And I don't think you can be an MP and an MEP at the same time anymore either. Still, he has seemed very worn out at times (he seemed less drained in his Davis interview), and he's been the face of the party for a long time, being one of a small group of MPs might be a bit of a reduction in duties for him. They could wheel him out to the local politics shows more often to compensate I guess.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Yes

LOL.

If its different from the first one, how on earth are we meant to rely on what Survation say!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,022
    Roger said:
    Undoubtedly a case of bad taste and thoughtlessness, but it was actually a reference to someone else's satirical website. There's an interesting analysis here

http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-serious-case-of-hypocrisy/

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. The distinction between individuals and the ideas they espouse is fundamental. It is not an attack on Roman Catholics to condemn the doctrine that the pope of Rome has a plenitude of temporal and spiritual power, that he may depose emperors, that he may pardon any mortal sins, even before their commission etc...
    Exactly so. I am a Catholic. Sometimes people say things about Catholics that I find surprising and perhaps unjustified. And quite often - especially in recent years - they say things which are justified, even though shaming (the Church has behaved disgracefully over child abuse).

But it would be absurd- and wrong- to shout "Catholicophobia" at every person who made any such criticism, particularly if the effect of this was to prevent any scrutiny of those committing awful crimes or, indeed, any bad behaviour of any type by any Catholic person at all. Or to claim that this was OK because actually the people making the criticisms were really criticising Irish people but using Catholic as a code when they meant Irish.

Let's leave the last word to the judge:-

"On past form, it appears inevitable that Mr Rahman will denounce this judgment as yet another example of the racism and Islamophobia that have hounded him throughout his political life. It is nothing of the sort. Mr Rahman has made a successful career by ignoring or flouting the law (as this Petition demonstrates) and has relied on silencing his critics by accusations of racism and Islamophobia. But his critics have not been silenced and neither has this court."
  • Options

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

It is.
    Yes
    My mind is literally blown.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

It is.
    Yes
    An empirical test of their MOE.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Y0kel said:

Greece isn't so valuable for its location, the Russians can go elsewhere in the region Its valuable because its in NATO, and therefore has plenty to share. If it wasn't for that let the Russians bail them, Putin is sitting playing high stakes poker with a pair of twos in his hands. Its the West that needs to grow a set and call the bluff.

As regards UKIP. I'm not convinced at all they will play a part in a coalition because they will have next to bugger all seats to negotiate with.

They have a heavy presence in Tartous. Syria. Forget warm water ports etc etc the med is a restricted area difficult for naval units to operate or even enter without detection.

It's quite simply the Suez Canal.......along the same lines as the Gulf of Homuz
  • Options

If you were the Mirror you'd be spitting tacks at that!! ROFL
  • Options
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,144
    edited April 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

You may have said it before: it doesn't make you right, though. But I fear this is one thing we will have to disagree on.

I disagree fundamentally on this: everyone has the right to call others out when they are misusing the word. But to say the word is stupid can should not be used is rather dangerous in my mind.

Would you say the same about any other -phobia?
  • Options
    taffys said:

Yes

LOL.

If its different from the first one, how on earth are we meant to rely on what Survation say!

They have gone Euro....just keep asking the same question until they get the right result and then it's binding without hope of a rerun. This is why I loathe the apparatus of the EU.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Roger said:
    Undoubtedly a case of bad taste and thoughtlessness, but it was actually a reference to someone else's satirical website. There's an interesting analysis here

http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-serious-case-of-hypocrisy/

The only interesting thing to come from that hateful site would be a notice of closure.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    If I were sponsoring any of these polls I think I'd reserve the exclusive right to bang on about them on twitter; the pollsters are getting not just free publicity, they are getting it and getting paid for it. One can see why Lord A is cagey about who he is using (without condoning the resulting methodological howlers).
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

The Russians are using Greece in an attempt to weaken eu sanctions over Ukraine.
    The Greeks are using the Russians and the threat of trying to weaken sactions to get money out of the Troika. Oh and its also Greece returning to its traditional foreign relations role as a troublemaker.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The Survation poll at 10pm might be their monthly Scotland poll for the Daily Record - by my reckoning its already overdue.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Exactly so. I am a Catholic. Sometimes people say things about Catholics that I find surprising and perhaps unjustified. And quite often - especially in recent years - they say things which are justified, even though shaming (the Church has behaved disgracefully over child abuse).

But it would be absurd- and wrong- to shout "Catholicophobia" at every person who made any such criticism, particularly if the effect of this was to prevent any scrutiny of those committing awful crimes or, indeed, any bad behaviour of any type by any Catholic person at all. Or to claim that this was OK because actually the people making the criticisms were really criticising Irish people but using Catholic as a code when they meant Irish.

"On past form, it appears inevitable that Mr Rahman will denounce this judgment as yet another example of the racism and Islamophobia that have hounded him throughout his political life. It is nothing of the sort. Mr Rahman has made a successful career by ignoring or flouting the law (as this Petition demonstrates) and has relied on silencing his critics by accusations of racism and Islamophobia. But his critics have not been silenced and neither has this court."

Yes, and it must be said undoubtedly, Britain HAS had anti-Catholic, anti-Irish prejudice in its relatively-recent history. Particularly when that benighted minority was associated with the terrorist element of a minority. So I believe that further to that, it is not enough to dismiss outright the suffix of phobia, due to its inappropriate application in certain cases.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Perennially offended cry baby? I shall have to remember that one, very good. The permanently offended and self-censorers due to fear of the former, are one of the things that cause me the most despair about the country. I hope the trend can be beaten back.
    I find I slightly paraphrased - what Hitchens said was this: "The babyish rumor-fueled tantrums that erupt all the time, especially in the Islamic world, show yet again that faith belongs to the spoiled and selfish childhood of our species."

(I don't think all people of faith behave like that but I can quite understand why he wrote it. Too often religious people have behaved in such a way. It is infuriating.)

The full article - and well worth reading - can be found here - http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2006/02/cartoon_debate.html

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

You can see the results here. A couple of points.

1. Although Ed was behind David in the MP and CLP sections he wasn't *that* far behind, otherwise David would have won overall despite losing the Union vote.

2. After the fall of Scotland the locus of power in the Labour party shifts decisively to London. I can see a number of prominent Ed backers among London Labour MPs.

3. I don't recognise enough Scottish Labour MPs to easily work out if they backed Ed over David, but it's interesting that the two most prominent Scottish Labour MPs in the current election campaign (Alexander and Murphy) both voted for David over Ed. While Scotland's voters is a bit to the left of England, I'm not certain the same is true of Labour MPs, who for some years have often been parachuted in by the party hierarchy - this is part of the problem that is seeing them being devoured by the SNP, of course - so your reasoning is probably a bit off anyway.

4. I can count.
    Thank you.

I had not realised point 2, but it is an important point worthy of further thought.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

EPG said:

kle4 said:

A fair point. And I don't think you can be an MP and an MEP at the same time anymore either. Still, he has seemed very worn out at times (he seemed less drained in his Davis interview), and he's been the face of the party for a long time, being one of a small group of MPs might be a bit of a reduction in duties for him. They could wheel him out to the local politics shows more often to compensate I guess.
    Yes; I'm willing to give him large leeway on his appearance and demeanour. He's had his share of health worries. Not that I have any time for his policies. I suppose he couldn't credibly stay out of the Commons brawl, but to be leader of two to four MPs is unambiguously a demotion in stature from his current position.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    Turning into #megapollingthursday
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    calum said:

The Survation poll at 10pm might be their monthly Scotland poll for the Daily Record - by my reckoning its already overdue.

You could be right. Last one was 47% SNP, 26% Labour, 2% swing to SNP from previous.

Would be funny if both Labour party fanrags the Mirror and Record both had bad news for their editorial staff with different polls on the same day.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I'm wondering who else would employ Survation.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

If I were sponsoring any of these polls I think I'd reserve the exclusive right to bang on about them on twitter; the pollsters are getting not just free publicity, they are getting it and getting paid for it. One can see why Lord A is cagey about who he is using (without condoning the resulting methodological howlers).

If i were one of the sponsors of these polls I would be looking for the clause saying "hideously wrong refund" cos some are hideously wrong.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

Ishmael_X said:

If i were one of the sponsors of these polls I would be looking for the clause saying "hideously wrong refund" cos some are hideously wrong.
    "Satisfaction guaranteed"?
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

Ishmael_X said:

Lab on 29% still too high you think ?
  • Options
    calum said:

From what Damian has said, it is a GB wide Westminster VI poll
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I have found myself wondering about this recently.

Is there room for three unionist parties in Scotland?
  • Options
    If it is Scottish polling, many have thought before the SNP position could not possible get any better, and have been proven wrong, but surely - surely - it cannot get any better for them? Even a few percentage points returned to SLAB could save quite a few seats and make Ed M's job a lot easier.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2015
    The National Cricket Stadium in Grenada holds 20,000 people; the population of the country is 110,000. There aren't many grounds in the UK that hold that many spectators.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Survation supplimentaries.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/general-election-2015-ed-miliband-5571079#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Labour still trails the Conservatives on the economy by 39% to 24%.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    chestnut said:

Maybe not, even if the difference between them on domestic policy is indeed wide. The swiftness of the SNP rise has caught everyone offguard I think, and so by the time of the campaign it's too late for traditional foes to widely and openly call for cooperation against the larger enemy (for one thing, not all of them can even agree the SNP are the larger enemy), but next time?

IDK - Lab will surely try to regain their heartlands, and the Tory share has been pretty steady for some time now, so the only party looking like its reputation is too shattered to easily recover is the LDs.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

The Russians are using Greece in an attempt to weaken eu sanctions over Ukraine.
    The Greeks are using the Russians and the threat of trying to weaken sactions to get money out of the Troika. Oh and its also Greece returning to its traditional foreign relations role as a troublemaker.
    Well yes maybe. Greece stated that if they are under that much threat they would issue EU passports to all and sundry. Given the problems in the Med at the moment that has to be a serious threat.

I think it was also discussed on here some weeks ago they have an Euro printing press as well. Oh what fun they could have with that !!
  • Options
    Survation supplimentaries

The tories were merrily tweeting some the findings from that poll.

An absolute stinker for labour.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, and it must be said undoubtedly, Britain HAS had anti-Catholic, anti-Irish prejudice in its relatively-recent history. Particularly when that benighted minority was associated with the terrorist element of a minority. So I believe that further to that, it is not enough to dismiss outright the suffix of phobia, due to its inappropriate application in certain cases.
    Yes - and as someone who is also half-Irish I can remember a time when having any sort of Irish association was not a good thing to have.

Nonetheless, when people say horrible and outrageous things, you have a choice: you can choose to be offended and try and shut them up. The baby option. Or you can ignore. People who want to be rude and offensive generally want a reaction. There's no need to give them one. Or you can call them out on what they have said by having and winning the argument. It's those who are afraid of argument or afraid that they will lose it who try and prevent the argument even happening.

But this use of boo-words: "racist" - "Islamophobic" - "Fascist" - whatever, is the politics of the playground. It would be laughable were the consequences not so serious.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

Well yes maybe. The biggest threat is for the one Greece gave to theRU that if they are under that much threat they would issue EU passports to all and sundry. Given the problems in the Med at the moment that has to be a serious threat.

I think it was also discussed on here some weeks ago they have an Euro printing press as well. Oh what fun they could have with that !!
    Surely the euro zone would immediately issue a new series of notes, and only accept serial numbers printed before a certain date?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges ·
    I receive an e-mail from the Labour party. "Without you, Dan Hodges, we won't win". How to break it to them

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

Well yes maybe. The biggest threat is for the one Greece gave to theRU that if they are under that much threat they would issue EU passports to all and sundry. Given the problems in the Med at the moment that has to be a serious threat.

Surely the euro zone would immediately issue a new series of notes, and only accept serial numbers printed before a certain date?
    A little difficult to ask consumers and businesses to check all the time if the cash they have has a specific serial number or not.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

Of course they would but there is one tiny tiny flaw in that valid point

When was the last time you yourself looked at the number of an Sterling bank note you were given in change let alone a Euro note?
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

calum said:

From what Damian has said, it is a GB wide Westminster VI poll
    Two national polls in one night?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

A little difficult to ask consumers and businesses to check all the time if the cash they have has a specific serial number or not.
    A fair point. still, a rapid new issue would mitigate the problem for the most part, with existing notes ceasing to be legal tender after a short period.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited April 2015
    TGOHF said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/general-election-2015-ed-miliband-5571079#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Excluding the economy, supplementary questions are quite good for Labour. Lead on NHS, immigration, education and Tories only for the rich and people worse off.

No wonder the Tories are going 100% on economic stability vs chaos wrapped up in Labour + SNP attack, because it doesn't seem the public think much of any of their other policies / their record.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

Well yes maybe. Greece stated that if they are under that much threat they would issue EU passports to all and sundry. Given the problems in the Med at the moment that has to be a serious threat.

Greek threats will be real if they start using their vetoes on EU & NATO matters if they don't get payed, that's the most valuable thing they have, the Americans might be nervous that they might but it up for sale to the highest bidder, after all they are desperate for hard currency to pay off the euro-bailout.
  • Options
    From the panelbase tables, of the 156 who voted LibDem in 2010, only 33 intend to vote LibDem in 2015. 34 intend to vote UKIP.

In the unlikely event that UKIP might be in a position to enter a coalition, they should be warned how quickly a NOTA party can become a OOTA party.

• Options
    'Nigel Farage emerged the ratings winner in BBC1’s series of leader interviews with Evan Davis, watched by more viewers than tuned into David Cameron, Ed Miliband or Nick Clegg.

The Ukip leader’s encounter with Davis, in which he accused the Newsnight presenter of being a member of the “liberal metropolitan elite”, pulled in 2.5 million viewers, a 14% share, from 7.30pm on Wednesday.

Farage was up against ITV’s Coronation Street, which attracted 6.4 million viewers, a 33.7% share.

The Ukip leader drew half a million more viewers than watched any of the other leader interviews, with just over 2 million tuning into Davis’s head to head with the Lib Dems’ Nick Clegg on 13 April and just under 2 million watching his grilling of Labour leader Ed Miliband on 20 April.

David Cameron trailed in last place in the overnight ratings, with an audience of 1.8 million for his BBC1 leader interview on 15 April.'

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/apr/23/nigel-farage-bbc-leader-interviews-ukip-evan-davis?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    I love this vote swopping thingy. I've just managed to get another Greenie to flip to Labour in a Labour marginal. Really easy to do, if you have some time on your hands. Unbelievable, living out in Italy as I am, I am managing to get some real votes going into tight Labour marginals.
    I have some other friends I can work on tomorrow and the coming days.
    All good fun comrades.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

And if Greece started giving out EU passports, other EU nations would issue an "emergency brake" and stop allowing Greek citizens to benefit from free movement of labour. Greece would be less with several million Syrian and Eritrean refugees as nationals.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    chestnut said:

I would have thought that a Unionist slate of candidates for the constituencies and the individual parties for the regional lists would be the best hope for stopping the SNP juggernaut at the 2016 Holyrood elections.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    isam said:

'Nigel Farage emerged the ratings winner in BBC1’s series of leader interviews with Evan Davis, watched by more viewers than tuned into David Cameron, Ed Miliband or Nick Clegg.

The Ukip leader’s encounter with Davis, in which he accused the Newsnight presenter of being a member of the “liberal metropolitan elite”, pulled in 2.5 million viewers, a 14% share, from 7.30pm on Wednesday.

Farage was up against ITV’s Coronation Street, which attracted 6.4 million viewers, a 33.7% share.

The Ukip leader drew half a million more viewers than watched any of the other leader interviews, with just over 2 million tuning into Davis’s head to head with the Lib Dems’ Nick Clegg on 13 April and just under 2 million watching his grilling of Labour leader Ed Miliband on 20 April.

David Cameron trailed in last place in the overnight ratings, with an audience of 1.8 million for his BBC1 leader interview on 15 April.'

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/apr/23/nigel-farage-bbc-leader-interviews-ukip-evan-davis?CMP=share_btn_tw

Good for Nige. UKIP surge!
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Why is Ali coming in before Stokes?

Stokes is a much better bat than Ali and a genuine six, Ali cannot play fast bowling and won't last more than two tests against the Aussies. Another poor decision from captain and management.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I disagree fundamentally on this: everyone has the right to call others out when they are misusing the word. But to say the word is stupid can should not be used is rather dangerous in my mind.

Would you say the same about any other -phobia?
    Yes - see my post about "Catholicophobia".

Islamophobia means an irrational fear of Islam a religion. Now setting aside the argument about whether a fear of Islam is irrational (given what it says about Jews, women, gays and non-Muslims, such a fear might justifiably be described as rational), it is a word which is used to stop criticism of a religion and also criticism of individuals. So it is a marvellously malleable word which, much as in Alice in Wonderland, means whatever the user wants it to mean.

And it has become - much like Fascism - in the words of George Orwell: "“The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies "something not desirable"...

So someone like Rahman used it - and the accusation of racism - to protect himself from criticism and to attack others in a wholly unscrupulous and malicious way.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2015
    http://news.ladbrokes.com/politics/find-labour-landmine_232466.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sports&utm_campaign=politics_CZ48323/4/15&hootPostID=10d2148d4a087e4dee9f2c7320c46219

If anyone wants 16/1 on labour winning Kettering, Shadsy will oblige.

Enfield Southgate would be my pick. I'm not betting on this though!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

A euro printing press really !!! Where did you see that, not that i am doubting you
  • Options
    tyson said:

I love this vote swopping thingy. I've just managed to get another Greenie to flip to Labour in a Labour marginal. Really easy to do, if you have some time on your hands. Unbelievable, living out in Italy as I am, I am managing to get some real votes going into tight Labour marginals.
    All good fun comrades.

More subversion of democracy underway.... I at least hope you are duping them into swapping their votes without any intention of voting the way they asked. That'd teach them for being such cads.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,144
    Cyclefree said:

Yes - and as someone who is also half-Irish I can remember a time when having any sort of Irish association was not a good thing to have.

Nonetheless, when people say horrible and outrageous things, you have a choice: you can choose to be offended and try and shut them up. The baby option. Or you can ignore. People who want to be rude and offensive generally want a reaction. There's no need to give them one. Or you can call them out on what they have said by having and winning the argument. It's those who are afraid of argument or afraid that they will lose it who try and prevent the argument even happening.

But this use of boo-words: "racist" - "Islamophobic" - "Fascist" - whatever, is the politics of the playground. It would be laughable were the consequences not so serious.

No, the racists, islamaphobes, and fascists are undertaking the politics of the playground. If they are not called out on it, then it will spread outside of the playground.

And if such words are misused, then the people misusing them - or worse, hiding by misusing them - should be called out. But as long as people who are genuinely racist, islamaphobic, or fascist exist, then people should be able to call them such.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The National Cricket Stadium in Grenada holds 20,000 people; the population of the country is 110,000.

Built by the People's Republic of China.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    tyson said:

All good fun comrades.

Only one person is changing their voting intention in this arrangement.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    tyson said:

All good fun comrades.

Good example of Chumming the water, nicely done.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JEO said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

And if Greece started giving out EU passports, other EU nations would issue an "emergency brake" and stop allowing Greek citizens to benefit from free movement of labour. Greece would be less with several million Syrian and Eritrean refugees as nationals.
    Greece made its IMF payment last month by passing an overnight law giving the central government access to local council funds and the state pensions fund.

I can see a mitary coup happening if the Syrizia government went ahead with its threats of handing out EU passports to ISIS terrorists.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Y0kel said:

As a Texas Hold'em poker player, I like your analogy but a pair of twos is not a bad hand to have pre-flop. The odds are a pair of twos heads up beats any other non-pocket pair, it has a better chance of winning even than Ace and King suited. However a pair of twos is worthless if there are multiple players who continue in the game as unless something goes your way, once more info is shown someone else now is almost guaranteed to be ahead.

It can make sense for the person with a low pocket pair to be aggressive from the start to remove as many players from the game as possible, if not take the victory straight away. This is what Russia is doing. If everyone calls Russia out and continues then they won't be strong, but nobody trusts every other player and is uncertain how to act.

The problem is that Greece holds 2 7 off suit (worst hand in the game), Germany has Ace King suited but has been burnt recently. The Netherlands holds some picture cards but doesn't have a very deep stack and isn't certain they want to go all in against Russia etc
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

No, the racists, islamaphobes, and fascists are undertaking the politics of the playground. If they are not called out on it, then it will spread outside of the playground.

And if such words are misused, then the people misusing them - or worse, hiding by misusing them - should be called out. But as long as people who are genuinely racist, islamaphobic, or fascist exist, then people should be able to call them such.
    That sounds great, except by and large people are not called out on it, and it just festers. It took 4 private citizens to bring a petition against Rahman for things to be properly exposed, and there are still people will will claim it is all down to islamophobia. It is already outside the playground, and the societal trend seems more toward not saying challenging things in case of offending, rather than calling things out.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    One thing that's not been mentioned in this campaign is the preliminary first quarter GDP figures released on Tuesday. There were signs of slowdown in January, bet Osborne has his fingers crossed.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,434

Stokes is a much better bat than Ali and a genuine six, Ali cannot play fast bowling and won't last more than two tests against the Aussies. Another poor decision from captain and management.

It has not held up Stokes long. That was suicidal.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

TGOHF said:

Excluding the economy, supplementary questions are quite good for Labour. Lead on NHS, immigration, education and Tories only for the rich and people worse off.

No wonder the Tories are going 100% on economic stability vs chaos wrapped up in Labour + SNP attack, because it doesn't seem the public think much of any of their other policies / their record.
    Labour lead the Conservatives on immigration. But they both trail UKIP.

"Which party do you trust most on each of the following issues? Base: All Respondents
    Immigration"

Con: 15%
    Lab: 18%
    UKIP: 37.5%

p.22
    http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Final-Mirror-VII-Tables-2304.pdf
  • Options

A shambolic last 15 minutes for England.

As for the Ashes, unless England can find a genuine pace bowler whose stock delivery is 90mph+ and an opener of aggressive intent they will get blown away.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    edited April 2015
    Y0kel said:

Conflating the interests of elements in the US establishment with that of the West in general.

The useful idiots live on serving a foreign master for a perverted ideology.

Some day British interests will be put first.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

One thing that's not been mentioned in this campaign is the preliminary first quarter GDP figures released on Tuesday. There were signs of slowdown in January, bet Osborne has his fingers crossed.

There is no slowdown in construction. It is as busy as it has ever been
  • Options

A shambolic last 15 minutes for England.

As for the Ashes, unless England can find a genuine pace bowler whose stock delivery is 90mph+ and an opener of aggressive intent they will get blown away.
    Must say I was surprised that Ali averaged only 31.8 on his say in

Sub 30 now maybe

Compare the way he is feted against Ballance who has made in of the best starts to any England career of all time

Although not English...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Artist said:

tyson said:

All good fun comrades.

Only one person is changing their voting intention in this arrangement.
    http://voteswap.org/about/how

That is right. One at a time- but you can work on friends to use the vote swapping site, and ensure they get the right marginals. Really simple. I've already got two, with more to work on.

Anyway pbTories, do your own research and go searching for the kippers who'll swop in the marginals (snigger)
  • Options

His luck has to run out eventually. He should still be able to point to overall progress - with Tories still having a lead on trust on the economy, they've more leeway in the face of anything slightly disappointing happening, so I doubt it would cost them any more votes or change the narrative significantly.
  • Options

JEO said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

NoEasyDay said:

Y0kel said:

Greece made its IMF payment last month by passing an overnight law giving the central government access to local council funds and the state pensions fund.

I can see a mitary coup happening if the Syrizia government went ahead with its threats of handing out EU passports to ISIS terrorists.
    Hmmmm...i read nowhere about a law being passed and i read the greek newspapers and I saw no threat from anyone who counts about handing out passports. And a military coup no its not 1969.
This discussion has been closed.