Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A record-breaking 469,047 registered online to vote yesterd

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,961

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Plato said:

Does anyone know how often 5th Day tickets end up being pointless? I've only seen a couple of Tests and they were great fun.

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Does anyone think England will have an attack that can take 20 wickets in less than 3 days this time?

Well the beard that is feared is back. Should help.
    I was hoping that Rashid might get a game but Tredwell bowled well and deserves his place too. Drop Broad or Jordon?
    I think Tredders won't be picked because of either a hand or elbow problem.
    If the latter, perhaps Sunil should be co-opted on to the ECB training team....

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Does anyone think England will have an attack that can take 20 wickets in less than 3 days this time?

I was hoping that Rashid might get a game but Tredwell bowled well and deserves his place too. Drop Broad or Jordon?

Sunil doesn't like cricket.
    Is Golf the only sport more boring than Test Cricket?

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Test Cricket is the finest, most civilized sport in the world.
    That's true. The funny thing is when I first noticed cricket on the TV when I was 10 years old and heard Richie Benaud commentating I instantly knew it to be the case.
    Probably about 50% of fifth days end up in a draw, but that isn't the same thing as them being a boring experience.
    Yawwwwwn!
    I've heard some people describe Test cricket as boring and then say they're fans of watching chess. Doesn't make sense to me. Test cricket is like chess except more active.
    I did play chess for my primary school, can't remember any of my matches lasting five days and ending in a pointless draw!
    Did you play chess with a clock? That's like 20/20 cricket, that is!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Tyson, Alistair Campbell is a despicable wretch. I doubt any of the vileness pouring forth from that creature will sway the electorate.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    I think I heard Al Campbell ranting away on the radio and then came Cleggy to insult our intelligence. Labour plus SNP is just the same as Tories plus Ukip. So the Tories will be held to ransom by three or four Kipper MPs? Really? In what child's universe?

Forty plus MPs with a grievance I can understand, So does Labour really think that Ukip will have forty MPs like the SNP?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    Scott_P said:

It’s currently very fashionable to rubbish the Conservative campaign, and Labour have tried to cite the use of the SNP card as evidence of mounting panic in the Tory camp. But the reality is posters depicting Ed Miliband dancing to the SNP’s tune first appeared at the beginning of March. Since then the Tories have been doggedly prodding away at the theme.
    @DPJHodges: It's taken 23 days, but the Tories have finally cut through > Telegraph > http://t.co/D4R4PB1p2B

As you are now re-tweeting and quoting Dan Hodges in the Telegraph, I think we can be confident that the Conservative campaign is in real trouble and they are getting ready to embrace Opposition.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Plato said:

Does anyone know how often 5th Day tickets end up being pointless? I've only seen a couple of Tests and they were great fun.

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    That's true. The funny thing is when I first noticed cricket on the TV when I was 10 years old and heard Richie Benaud commentating I instantly knew it to be the case.
    Probably about 50% of fifth days end up in a draw, but that isn't the same thing as them being a boring experience.
    Yawwwwwn!
    I've heard some people describe Test cricket as boring and then say they're fans of watching chess. Doesn't make sense to me. Test cricket is like chess except more active.
    I did play chess for my primary school, can't remember any of my matches lasting five days and ending in a pointless draw!
    Yeah, I remember the clocks!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007
    edited April 2015
    chestnut said:

You wouldn't want to rely on the student vote - biggest drops in absolute voter numbers

Cardiff 234,476 -28,462 -11%
    Durham 376,934 -26,808 -7%
    Liverpool 304,907 -20,218 -6%
    Bradford 331,494 -19,388 -6%
    Newcastle upon Tyne 184,401 -17,405 -9%
    Southampton 160,076 -17,119 -10%
    Cheshire East 272,909 -16,788 -6%
    Haringey 159,360 -15,851 -9%
    Brighton and Hove 192,325 -14,842 -7%
    Nottingham 191,363 -12,999 -6%
    Manchester 368,265 -12,665 -3%
    Kirklees 300,627 -12,606 -4%
    Leicester 224,750 -12,389 -5%
    Charnwood 123,786 -12,332 -9%
    Oxford 99,730 -12,093 -11%
    Wigan 234,261 -11,649 -5%
    Doncaster 210,826 -11,165 -5%
    Kingston upon Hull 180,740 -10,757 -6%
    Westminster 127,541 -10,659 -8%
    York 146,322 -10,494 -7%

Itchen in play ?

Hove; Brighton Kemptown
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    LOL @ Hodges observation on SLAB:

The second [straw to clutch at] is that Labour’s position in Scotland doesn’t prove to be as dire as everyone suspects. “The one thing I’m clinging to is the record of the Scottish Labour party in predicting election results”, one shadow cabinet member told me. “Every recent election they’ve predicted we’d do well, and every time they been shown to be totally and utterly wrong. This time they’re telling us 'we’re screwed up here'. And that gives me some hope.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11552484/The-SNP-threat-is-not-going-anywhere.-Conservative-campaign-chiefs-must-be-delighted.html
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited April 2015
    AndyJS said:

Is today's match in Grenada the first time England have played a Test there? I ought to know the answer but don't.

Yes, it is. They've also never won in Antigua, which was a good indicator, alongside the flat track, that they would fail in the last test (as a tidbit of hindsight)
    Now Jimmy has the record, expect him to go mental in this one, and back Cook to come good with the bat - he has a track record of starting golden runs on the back of disastrous ones.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2015
    CD13 said:

I think I heard Al Campbell ranting away on the radio and then came Cleggy to insult our intelligence. Labour plus SNP is just the same as Tories plus Ukip. So the Tories will be held to ransom by three or four Kipper MPs? Really? In what child's universe?

Forty plus MPs with a grievance I can understand, So does Labour really think that Ukip will have forty MPs like the SNP?

Do Labour really want ranting Campbell on the loose, serving as a reminder of the bad old days?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Plato said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Yawwwwwn!
    Yeah, I remember the clocks!
    Me too!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    edited April 2015
    Neighbourhood watch

Conservative leaflet received today

Slightly oddly it is a3 folded into 4... The front page is a big photo of 'ANGELA WATKINSON for Hornchurch & Upminster'

The back page 'ANGELA WATKINSON YOUR NEXT MP'

I say odd as it doesn't mention the Conservative party and also because she already is my MP

It opens up to A3 size and we have a lot of text about what Angela will do...and much is made of the EU referendum

Who should govern our country - BRUSSELS OR BRITAIN?
    Who should control our immigration - BRUSSELS OR BRITAIN?

Conservative brand mentioned two or three times and small logo in corner

Leads me to believe the Tories think Ukip are capable of taking the seat.. We've had a couple of surveys last year from 'angela' asking who we would vote for...

8/1 - 10/1 Ukip I think... Looking more likely than I had hoped for given the boards up etc

It was on my second tier of Ukip possibles for people who are interested... Ukip+BNP 2010 was 11.7%

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    I suspect this registration drive is as good for the Greens as anybody.....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Satire is indeed not dead, when we have the spectacle of Alastair Campbell, of all people on this earth, complaining about what he sees as negative campaigning.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Election Forecast have detected a Plaid surge as the electorate get Wood.

https://twitter.com/May2015NS/status/590507081087770624

On Yns Mon @ 12-5 in Wales. Seems OK off the back of this :) Electionforecast had Plaid dead for AGES.

Without knowing anything about Wales I logically expected a Plaid surge since everyone else was in government. But it's been very slow in coming, even with the debates to help.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Most of the places with a rise in registrations look UKIP - friendly to me.

I also see that Tower Hamlets is equal top in suffering an annual fall in additional names going on the register.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    isam said:

Neighbourhood watch

Slightly oddly it is a3 folded into 4... The front page is a big photo of 'ANGELA WATKINSON for Hornchurch & Upminster'

I say odd as it doesn't mention the Conservative party and also because she already is my MP

It opens up to A3 size and we have a lot of text about what Angeks will do...and much is made of the EU referendum

Leads me to believe the Tories think Ukip are capable of taking the seat.. We've had a couple of surveys last year from 'angela' asking who we would vote for...

8/1 - 10/1 Ukip I think... Looking more likely than I had hoped for given the boards up etc

Sounds like good targetting of a specific leaflet.
  • Options

LOL @ Hodges observation on SLAB:

The second [straw to clutch at] is that Labour’s position in Scotland doesn’t prove to be as dire as everyone suspects. “The one thing I’m clinging to is the record of the Scottish Labour party in predicting election results”, one shadow cabinet member told me. “Every recent election they’ve predicted we’d do well, and every time they been shown to be totally and utterly wrong. This time they’re telling us 'we’re screwed up here'. And that gives me some hope.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11552484/The-SNP-threat-is-not-going-anywhere.-Conservative-campaign-chiefs-must-be-delighted.html

Must be brown trouser time for Dougie and Jimbob.
  • Options

Satire is indeed not dead, when we have the spectacle of Alastair Campbell, of all people on this earth, complaining about what he sees as negative campaigning.

I can trump that: Damian McBride is complaining about bad taste jokes.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2015
    What do people think of the 9/1 on Labour coming 2nd in wyre forest?

2nd is going to be between NHA, UKIP & Lab - 20% might be enough to clinch it. Anyone with local knowledge?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,926

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I heard a bit of Alastair Campbell being interviewed on the radio whilst I was out buying a sarnie at lunchtime. He was quite stridently (as ever) arguing that the Tories should be sticking to selling the Tory line and Tory policies in the GE campaign and Labour should do the same for theirs, and it was pathetic and desperate for the Tories to be articulating nothing of their message or policies and instead negatively scaremongering people into what it would be like if the SNP won loads of seats and held a Labour government to ransom, and that it demeaned them to have given up so completely that this was their only message.

It was an utterly compelling point, obviously correct, and I agreed with every word.

Not very often you'll see my saying that about Campbell's utterances (unless they involve the Clarets), but he's spot on.

Why cannot Tory high command see how badly they are shooting themselves in the foot?

Why do I get the feeling Bad Al doesn't have the Tories best interest's at heart?????

Of course he doesn't. I can normally get all outraged and argumentative when I hear Ali C because he's usually talking Labour partisan gibberish.

But on this. Spot on. That was my point - it's a bit unusual for me to agree with him, which kind of makes me think he might be right....
    Given that a minority Labour government, held to ransom by the SNP, would be a disaster for the country, I think the Tory strategy of pointing that out is correct.

They should counter it with a little more "light" to go with all the "shade" but overall I think they are playing this week pretty well.

Ah, so majority Labour govt would be preferable?

:lol:
    There's very little little chance of a Labour majority with the losing most of their Scottish seats...

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pulpstar said:

Must be brown trouser time for Dougie and Jimbob.

Wee Dougie is on the DP right now. Andrew Neil opened with him losing his seat, and followed up with Ed not being able to stand up to Dianne Abbot

Entertaining stuff
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

You wouldn't want to rely on the student vote - biggest drops in absolute voter numbers

Cardiff 234,476 -28,462 -11%
    Durham 376,934 -26,808 -7%
    Liverpool 304,907 -20,218 -6%
    Bradford 331,494 -19,388 -6%
    Newcastle upon Tyne 184,401 -17,405 -9%
    Southampton 160,076 -17,119 -10%
    Cheshire East 272,909 -16,788 -6%
    Haringey 159,360 -15,851 -9%
    Brighton and Hove 192,325 -14,842 -7%
    Nottingham 191,363 -12,999 -6%
    Manchester 368,265 -12,665 -3%
    Kirklees 300,627 -12,606 -4%
    Leicester 224,750 -12,389 -5%
    Charnwood 123,786 -12,332 -9%
    Oxford 99,730 -12,093 -11%
    Wigan 234,261 -11,649 -5%
    Doncaster 210,826 -11,165 -5%
    Kingston upon Hull 180,740 -10,757 -6%
    Westminster 127,541 -10,659 -8%
    York 146,322 -10,494 -7%

Itchen in play ?

Hove; Brighton Kemptown
    Because students are no longer registered by their Hall of Residence, I wonder if those students who have bothered to register have done so at their parents home and thus moved their vote away from their university town.

Unless they have a postal vote they may also find they are not in the constituency on the day of voting and can not vote.

Also they should be concentrating on exams in May.

So expect the student vote to drop.
  • Options

isam said:

Neighbourhood watch

It opens up to A3 size and we have a lot of text about what Angeks will do...and much is made of the EU referendum

Sounds like good targetting of a specific leaflet.
    I think it will be pretty close... Haven't bet Ukip as thought Tories would win easily, but maybe not so sure now. Only seen Ukip boards, posters and billboards, nothing from anyone else and I live in the Tory part of town
  • Options
    Maxwell1Maxwell1 Posts: 4
    i would also point out to Mike smithson that higher numbers of young people voting could be good for SNP and the Green Party as they their voters tend to be younger.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    CD13 said:

You do know that Clegg is not in the Labour Party.
  • Options

Note Sunil's judicious use of "Test Cricket" rather than just "Cricket".

Smart guy ! Cricket means an insect !
  • Options

Anecdote alert. On train into London from Kent. Some guy reading from the Metro tutting away. Realises he's being heard by the woman nearby says "sorry, it's the SNP stuff. It's outrageous." Woman: "It certainly is." Him:"That lunatic woman." Her: "Yes, she's got them wrapped around her finger." Him: "Yes, especially Miliband."

Sort of reinforces my musings yesterday lunchtime - this issue resonates quite well in Surrey or Kent.

But in Pendle, Rossendale, Bury North, Lancaster, Wirral West, Pudsey........ ???
    Why would it not?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I heard a bit of Alastair Campbell being interviewed on the radio whilst I was out buying a sarnie at lunchtime. He was quite stridently (as ever) arguing that the Tories should be sticking to selling the Tory line and Tory policies in the GE campaign and Labour should do the same for theirs, and it was pathetic and desperate for the Tories to be articulating nothing of their message or policies and instead negatively scaremongering people into what it would be like if the SNP won loads of seats and held a Labour government to ransom, and that it demeaned them to have given up so completely that this was their only message.

It was an utterly compelling point, obviously correct, and I agreed with every word.

Not very often you'll see my saying that about Campbell's utterances (unless they involve the Clarets), but he's spot on.

Why cannot Tory high command see how badly they are shooting themselves in the foot?

Why do I get the feeling Bad Al doesn't have the Tories best interest's at heart?????

Of course he doesn't. I can normally get all outraged and argumentative when I hear Ali C because he's usually talking Labour partisan gibberish.

But on this. Spot on. That was my point - it's a bit unusual for me to agree with him, which kind of makes me think he might be right....
    Given that a minority Labour government, held to ransom by the SNP, would be a disaster for the country, I think the Tory strategy of pointing that out is correct.

They should counter it with a little more "light" to go with all the "shade" but overall I think they are playing this week pretty well.

There's very little little chance of a Labour majority with the losing most of their Scottish seats...

The chance is bigger than that suggested by Betfair odds mind, Labour's 326th seat - Aberconwy is 9-4 against for them.

4-9 Tories makes an attractive punt to my mind at any rate (Swing in Wales is lowish, and the new mini-Plaidgasm helps Con probably by eating Labour votes)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Maxwell, I hope not, I have a bet on the Greens losing a lot of their deposits.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    Just answered a YouGov Poll on voting intention (I've already voted).

The survey also had questions on Cameron's successor so look out for that.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    The Electoral Commission electorate data file is pretty confusing. Cross checking it with ONS electoral statistics file, it seems some of their 2014 electorate figures are actually December 2013 figures.

So the ONS file is more up to date.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

So you would advise the Scots to vote Labour to help Ed minimise his chances of letting the SNP hold him to ransom?

• Options

Just in the morning though?
  • Options
    In the past many Scottish people have tended to feel victims of the English.

The SNP have made the Scottish people feel it is the English who have become the victims of the Scots.

This is hard to counter if you are a UK wide party like Labour, Conservative or Lib Dem.
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin (@GoodwinMJ)
    21/04/2015 14:48
    Sebastian Payne who has been on ground in Thanet writes:
    bit.ly/1aOm9un
    Dan Hodges who has not writes:
    bit.ly/1IBYbxO
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Kipper comment from Hodges article, presented unedited in all it's batty glory for your enjoyment:

What the debate boiled down to was all the lefties against Nigel and had Cameron been there then it would have just been another lefty against Nigel.
    Dan misses the point that Everything Nigel said has been proven to be TRUE WITH SOME NOW AGREEING WITH HIM ON SOME POINTS and all of the hulabaloo of hissing like snakes in the grass at Nigel has proven to be totally unfounded and an attempt to hide the truth.
    Watch out for MASSIVE migration from AFRICA into the UK at the EU's orders and then the 250,000 Poles that are on the way during this next year, we have only seen the tip of immigration so far and if what the forecast for the future is holds true we can expect in excess of a million before next April. Watch how many BRITISH school kids aren't in school, watch crime levels EXPLODE. These Africans think of murder as a petty crime, rape and maiming as being normal, robbery as legal. True Brits won't be out after dark because the streets will belong to the criminals. ALL with Conbliblab's blessings.
    WE DESPERATELY NEED UKIP.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Is today's match in Grenada the first time England have played a Test there? I ought to know the answer but don't.

Yes, it is. They've also never won in Antigua, which was a good indicator, alongside the flat track, that they would fail in the last test (as a tidbit of hindsight)
    Now Jimmy has the record, expect him to go mental in this one, and back Cook to come good with the bat - he has a track record of starting golden runs on the back of disastrous ones.
    That's a fascinating fact about Antigua. Although I see from Wikipedia that the ground has only been used for Tests since 1981.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Anecdote alert. On train into London from Kent. Some guy reading from the Metro tutting away. Realises he's being heard by the woman nearby says "sorry, it's the SNP stuff. It's outrageous." Woman: "It certainly is." Him:"That lunatic woman." Her: "Yes, she's got them wrapped around her finger." Him: "Yes, especially Miliband."

Sort of reinforces my musings yesterday lunchtime - this issue resonates quite well in Surrey or Kent.

But in Pendle, Rossendale, Bury North, Lancaster, Wirral West, Pudsey........ ???
    Why not?

Anywhere in England the thought of Jimmy Krankie's irritating sister holding the UK govt to ransom is appalling.

Why would Northern Englanders not think this any more than people in Kent? Genuinely don't understand your post, even passing it through the usual filter accounting for your ceaselessly vast anti-tory negativity.
  • Options
    If individual registration has reduced the number of voters - as alleged - and so the size of the pot, then turn out is surely bound to increase as it will be a % of a smaller pot.

Isn't the question whether this (inevitable) late surge will make up the shortfall. It is probably just adding in people who are factored in already and so Labour will be down a net figure.

On the up side, if you have rushed to register, you have made some sort of emotional commitment to vote on the day

Forgive if this has been tackled down thread, but anything more than 50-70 comments taxes my attention span

Oh, and on a separate matter of the day. Never under estimate how much your average English football fan detests the Scots. Detest is the wrong word, it is an understatement, they hate them. The feeling is reciprocated, so it is ok. This reflects a broad opinion among many. For all the hand-ringing by Lord Forsyth, the SNP rise is good for the Tories. If they are looking for 3-5% from a weakening UKIP, then it is a good card to play
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    isam said:

Only seen Ukip boards, posters and billboards, nothing from anyone else and I live in the Tory part of town

Never bet on the back of number of boards / posters - they are not great indicators of actual levels of support.
  • Options
    Therefore in terms of constituencies I've the following as biggest falls 2013-14

Cardiff Central
    Liverpool, Riverside
    Newcastle upon Tyne East
    Nottingham South
    Ceredigion
    City of Durham
    Loughborough
    York Central
    Brighton, Pavilion
    Leicester South
    Oxford East
    Reading East
    Coventry South
    Blackpool South
    Newcastle upon Tyne Central
    Swansea West8
    Cities of London and Westminster
    Tottenham
    Salford and Eccles
    Hornsey and Wood Green

and the top gainers were

Edinburgh North and Leith
    East Devon
    Wellingborough
    Tonbridge and Malling
    Edinburgh South
    Northampton South
    Glasgow South
    North Cornwall
    Glasgow East
    Wantage
    Bognor Regis and Littlehampton
    Ashfield
    Workington
    Ludlow
    Hendon
    Edinburgh West
    Glasgow South West
    Shrewsbury and Atcham
    Mansfield
    Foyle
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    Afternoon all :)

In the remote fastness of East Ham, we have now received leaflets (via Freepost) from the Conservatives, UKIP, Labour and the Communities United Party (worth looking up if you enjoy your obscure local politics). Nothing from the LDs, Greens or TUSC at this time.

Labour were leafletting at East Ham Station again yesterday but the Conservative campaign is much less visible than in 2010 when we had local elections at the same time. Haven't seen Labour out canvassing round here but I wonder if they are targetting areas like Ilford North.

Seven runners in East Ham, seven also in West Ham with the TUSC replaced by the Christian People's Alliance (remember them). Hard to see Lyn Brown having too many problems. There's also a Newham Council by-election in Stratford & New Town Ward - Labour won a narrow victory with 74% of the vote last year with the Conservatives on 21% so I'm not expecting much to change there though there have been some population changes up there and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Conservative vote move up a little.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Just in the morning though?
    Several posters on here would welcome Leanne at any time of day, it seems.
  • Options
    TNS Poll

LAB 34% (+2), CON 32% (-2), LIB DEM 8% (-1), UKIP 15% (+1), GREEN 5% (0), OTHER 6% (+1)

http://tnsglobal.com/uk/press-release/no-party-has-made-a-clear-break
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian has already voted?

Are postal votes already available ?
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

Only seen Ukip boards, posters and billboards, nothing from anyone else and I live in the Tory part of town

Never bet on the back of number of boards / posters - they are not great indicators of actual levels of support.
    Oh right cheers I didn't know

To be honest the Tory leaflet was the final straw for me to tiptoe from hope to mild anticipation
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

Almost as many Tory posters up in Hallam as yellow peril ones...
  • Options
    In absolute terms of voters lost, the biggest drops

Cardiff Central -11.536
    Liverpool, Riverside -11.338
    Newcastle upon Tyne East -9.388
    Nottingham South -8.903
    Loughborough -8.490
    City of Durham -8.422
    York Central -8.251
    Oxford East -8.080
    Leicester South -7.824
    Reading East -7.605
    Brighton, Pavilion -7.503
    Coventry South -7.029
    Ceredigion -6.735
    Salford and Eccles -6.339
    Hornsey and Wood Green -6.304
    Tottenham -5.712
    Holborn and St Pancras -5.700
    Blackpool South -5.645
    Crewe and Nantwich -5.556
    Manchester, Central -5.528

Gains

Edinburgh North and Leith 4482
    East Devon 3.363
    Wellingborough 3.092
    Tonbridge and Malling 2.472
    Wantage 2.145
    Edinburgh South 2111
    Glasgow South 2052
    Northampton South 1.935
    Ashfield 1.858
    Glasgow East 1803
    North Cornwall 1.746
    Bognor Regis and Littlehampton 1.742
    Hendon 1.715
    Shrewsbury and Atcham 1.712
    Edinburgh West 1665
    Mansfield 1.610
    Ludlow 1.575
    Taunton Deane 1.516
    Glasgow South West 1500
    Foyle 1.457
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2015

Why not?

Anywhere in England the thought of Jimmy Krankie's irritating sister holding the UK govt to ransom is appalling.

Why would Northern Englanders not think this any more than people in Kent? Genuinely don't understand your post, even passing it through the usual filter accounting for your ceaselessly vast anti-tory negativity.
    Anecdata: my parents live in Cumbria. My mum, not normally one for politics, brought up the SNP as "in it for themselves" and "they don't care about England" without prompting.

Leaving aside the obvious point that almost all politicians are in it for themselves, it shows it remains an issue a few miles from the border. If anything, when kids are getting a free university education and everyone is getting free prescriptions just a 10 minute drive away, the issue resonates even more...
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited April 2015
    The stand out is:

Ceredigion -12% -6,988

If that is mainly students (the constituency has 2 universities Aber and Lampeter), then the LibDems may be in some trouble.

My travels around Ceredigion at the weekend did reveal lots of PC and LibDem activity -- and even a couple of billboards for "Tippex" Thomas, the Labour candidate who advocated spilling Tippex as simulated bird-sh1t on English cars.

If there is a Plaid-gasm (& surely even Plaid must have finally noticed what's going on in Scotland), then the vulnerable seats are Ynys Mon, Ceredigion and Llanelli (2 Lab, 1 LibDem).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Almost as many Tory posters up in Hallam as yellow peril ones...
    I felt sorry for the enthusiastic 'yes' supporters who convinced themselves they were going to win last September because "noone around here has a 'no' poster up".

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,755

TNS Poll

LAB 34% (+2), CON 32% (-2), LIB DEM 8% (-1), UKIP 15% (+1), GREEN 5% (0), OTHER 6% (+1)

They'll be dancing in the streets of TNS tonight.

Sunshine, blue skies and a Labour lead. Not a bad afternoon!
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    Neil said:

isam said:

Indeed... If you go on Billboards then the Tories are in danger of coming close / winning in Vauxhall.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Why not?

Anecdata: my parents live in Cumbria. My mum, not normally one for politics, brought up the SNP as "in it for themselves" and "they don't care about England" without prompting.

Leaving aside the obvious point that almost all politicians are in it for themselves, it shows it remains an issue a few miles from the border. If anything, when kids are getting a free university education and everyone is getting free prescriptions just a 10 minute drive away, the issue resonates even more...
    So why don't kids get free University education ? or even £3000 or £6000.

Bury the Austerity bullshit ! Go on, Nicola. Make sure Labour does their job !
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Surby,

"You do know that Clegg is not in the Labour Party."

Cleggy is doing his tight rope act. Only the LDs can form a proper coalition without blackmailing them. Cleggy is saying the same thing but from a different perspective to Bad Al.

I'll write slower in the future.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    In some seats with a big drop, the fall could potentially hit LDs as much as Labour with the other parties not competitive, therefore being neutral. Same Brighton Pavillion. Some other seats are too safe anyway.

Nottingham South, Loughborough, York Central, Coventry South, Blackpool South and Crewe is where it can have a partisan impact.

Labour had strong local results in Nottingham (South included) recently. I guess those who bother to vote in the locals are likely to remember to register individually.
    York Central is actually safish on paper but Labour run local council doesn't have a good reputation.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

TNS Poll

The day the polls turned
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Surby,

"You do know that Clegg is not in the Labour Party."

Cleggy is doing his tight rope act. Only the LDs can form a proper coalition without blackmailing them. Cleggy is saying the same thing but from a different perspective to Bad Al.

I'll write slower in the future.

The Yellows will not join any coalition. The party won't wear it. Cleggy won't be there anyway. He can do very little from the House of Lords.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

It's interesting to see what the reaction will be to all these old faces turning up.

I'm not too sure Ed will want Al "45 Minutes" Campbell all over the news, if only that some off-message journo will ask him about the delays to Chilcot and Blair. However it could also be said that he limited the damage somewhat in 2010, perhaps even prevented a Tory majority.

Major is the opposite, he strikes me as a genuine elder statesman but to some will remind only of 1990s Tory "Sleaze", of Mrs Currie, and the word used by Mr Ashdown earlier to describe troublesome backbenchers.
  • Options

TNS Poll

The day the polls turned
    Killer poll.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The day the polls turned

English public warming to prospect of Nicola calling the shots, clearly.
  • Options
    I think it would be interesting to know a little more about the psychology of those who put billboards up.

For example, from my own friends & colleagues, I have noticed that very affluent Labour voters often put billboards up.

For example, an acquaintance whose son is being expensively educated at Eton has his (Cambridge) front garden festooned in Labour posters.

I think it is actually a form of protective mimicry, familiar from the theory of evolution.
  • Options

TNS Poll

F*** YouGov - TNS is the new Gold Standard! :lol:
  • Options

In some seats with a big drop, the fall could potentially hit LDs as much as Labour with the other parties not competitive, therefore being neutral. Same Brighton Pavillion. Some other seats are too safe anyway.

Nottingham South, Loughborough, York Central, Coventry South, Blackpool South and Crewe is where it can have a partisan impact.

Labour had strong local results in Nottingham (South included) recently. I guess those who bother to vote in the locals are likely to remember to register individually.
    York Central is actually safish on paper but Labour run local council doesn't have a good reputation.

Coventry South ?!

Dave is on for about 400 seats if that drops !
  • Options

TNS Poll

UKIP up to 15%. Another 5 Tory seats gone. I think the electorate has taken a settled view.

Cameron did the Labour Party a huge favour by getting Sturgeon in the debates. Apart from the Tory types, most people agrees with her.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2015

I think the drop in numbers would help Labour in Nottingham South and Loughborough, due to the demographics of the students that populate those two Universities.
  • Options
    I apologise in advance for any future posts of mine quoting totally underwhelming/uninteresting polls and saying "the day the polls turned". For some reason I find it much funnier than it actually is
  • Options
    Plaid must have noticed...but it depends if Cymru have!

If they vote by political parties, Ynys Mon should go Plaid as they put up strong performances in Assembly by-election and local elections. However it's a particular place where personalities can play a role...it depends on how much personal vote the Labour MP has. If he wins, I think it will be because of him rather than the Labour label.

If there is a Plaid-gasm (& surely even Plaid must have finally noticed what's going on in Scotland), then the vulnerable seats are Ynys Mon, Ceredigion and Llanelli (2 Lab, 1 LibDem).

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited April 2015
    Ishmael_X said:

murali_s said:

O/T - AGW

Dons helmet (as a lot of folk here maybe even the majority don't buy into anthropogenic global warming), but March 2015 was the warmest March ever recorded globally according to NOAA.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2015/3

April showers? Seems more like summer. Of course one month's data, one set of floods or droughts doesn't actually prove anything, they're just indications.
    It's always puzzled me how intelligent people seem to think that their opinions on AGW really amount to much. The scientific evidence is convincing and is being refined all the time, scientists try to get ever closer to the facts in this field as in any other.
    You may be right about the majority opinion on PB, luckily they're not running the country.
    To those who deny (sorry are sceptical about) AGW, just swap to LED bulbs because they'll save you 80% of your electricity bill. This in turn is 20% of your energy bill, which averages around £1,200/yr, so you'd save £240/year, every year. Don't do it for the planet, do it for your pocket.
    The scientific evidence for what? That human activity has some effect on climate? I don't know of anyone who disputes that.

The debate is about whether modelling of a system as complex and chaotic as the climate can produce predictions more accurate than a coin-flip. If you think it can, please name just one other complex and chaotic system where it can.
    @logical_song Oh look, you have had nearly an hour to answer a very straightforward question and come up blank. And now you look like a patronising twit.

Keep studying Ther Science.
  • Options

As Loughborough students are a load of Tory Engineers, the drop could be good news for Labour.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

TNS Poll

Best scottish sub sample for Labour in years.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Updated SPUD after five polls
    The best test of the way the political wind is blowing

Cons -6
    Lab -3
    UKIP +6
    LD+2
    Green -4

• Options

Barnesian said:

My postal vote arrived on Saturday. Posted it back yesterday. Can't change my mind now!
  • Options

In absolute terms of voters lost, the biggest drops

Cardiff Central -11.536
    Liverpool, Riverside -11.338
    Newcastle upon Tyne East -9.388
    Nottingham South -8.903
    Loughborough -8.490
    City of Durham -8.422
    York Central -8.251
    Oxford East -8.080
    Leicester South -7.824
    Reading East -7.605
    Brighton, Pavilion -7.503
    Coventry South -7.029
    Ceredigion -6.735
    Salford and Eccles -6.339
    Hornsey and Wood Green -6.304
    Tottenham -5.712
    Holborn and St Pancras -5.700
    Blackpool South -5.645
    Crewe and Nantwich -5.556
    Manchester, Central -5.528

Gains

Edinburgh North and Leith 4482
    East Devon 3.363
    Wellingborough 3.092
    Tonbridge and Malling 2.472
    Wantage 2.145
    Edinburgh South 2111
    Glasgow South 2052
    Northampton South 1.935
    Ashfield 1.858
    Glasgow East 1803
    North Cornwall 1.746
    Bognor Regis and Littlehampton 1.742
    Hendon 1.715
    Shrewsbury and Atcham 1.712
    Edinburgh West 1665
    Mansfield 1.610
    Ludlow 1.575
    Taunton Deane 1.516
    Glasgow South West 1500
    Foyle 1.457

6 of the gains are in Scotland !
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

My postal vote arrived on Saturday. Posted it back yesterday. Can't change my mind now!
    I posted my ballot paper today. One vote for Labour [ important in 2020 ]. I think Davey will lose to the Tories.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I have had a thought about vote efficiency.

Has anyone computed a minimum vote score for each party - assuming parties in 2nd place and below get the same vote but the winning party gets 1 more vote than 2nd place what would the party vote totals be on both an absolute and percentage basis.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It's interesting to see what the reaction will be to all these old faces turning up.

I'm not too sure Ed will want Al "45 Minutes" Campbell all over the news, if only that some off-message journo will ask him about the delays to Chilcot and Blair. However it could also be said that he limited the damage somewhat in 2010, perhaps even prevented a Tory majority.

Major is the opposite, he strikes me as a genuine elder statesman but to some will remind only of 1990s Tory "Sleaze", of Mrs Currie, and the word used by Mr Ashdown earlier to describe troublesome backbenchers.
    Alistair Campbell was cracking in 2010, he wound up Adam Boulton a treat ;).
  • Options
    I see TNS have eliminated from their sample those who reported that they were not registered to vote.
  • Options
    Artist said:

I think the drop in numbers would help Labour in Nottingham South and Loughborough, due to the demographics of the students that populate those two Universities.
    There are two universities in Nottingham -- I believe that it is Nottingham Trent (the former Trent Poly) who have a large chunk of their campus in Nottingham South
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    surbiton said:

TNS Poll

UKIP up to 15%. Another 5 Tory seats gone. I think the electorate has taken a settled view.

Cameron did the Labour Party a huge favour by getting Sturgeon in the debates. Apart from the Tory types, most people agrees with her.
    I'm sure Scottlish labour agrees with you....
  • Options
    isam said:

Cons -6
    Lab -3
    UKIP +6
    LD+2
    Green -4

13 minuses and 8 plusses.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

Cons -6
    Lab -3
    UKIP +6
    LD+2
    Green -4

+5 for PC?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,099
    surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

I posted my ballot paper today. One vote for Labour [ important in 2020 ]. I think Davey will lose to the Tories.
    I think he'll be 5,000 votes behind.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "TNS Poll

... UKIP 15% (+1) ..."

*Waves at FoxInSox*
  • Options
    York Central has to be the nicest Labour constituency
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

tyson said:

Anyway I am pleased that Labour has finally got it's act together to counter the Tory scaremongering of the SNP as the grubby, opportunistic, calculated, divisive, politics it actually is.

And rolling out Sir John. I think most people are still scarred by the appalling mental images of him banging Edwina rather than saying anything of note. No amount of mind bleach has managed to erase that from my head, and I've tried.

How much mind bleach is needed for Prescott and all the other Labour MPs and ministers who had affairs?
    nowhere near as much as Major and Edwina
  • Options

surbiton said:

TNS Poll

I'm sure Scottlish labour agrees with you....
    SLAB was doomed long before the debates. You are probably new to politics
  • Options

I suspect Lincoln will take that crown in May. Less than half the tourists of York and a far superior cathedral IMHO.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Vote swap.....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

Cons -6
    Lab -3
    UKIP +6
    LD+2
    Green -4

So what?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    AndyJS said:

I wonder what will happen to the SNP if they don't end up in coalition or in some sort of arrangement with Labour. Some of their younger MPs might get fed up sitting on the opposition benches doing nothing very much, except rubbing shoulders with Labour MPs who detest them. We could have a few by-elections after a couple of years.

You are joking , only ones that ever leave Westminster are either dying , caught at it , or senile. Once they get at the trough they cannot be dragged away ,, sure the SNP will be no different. Especially if young , free subsidised booze and food , easy hours , only need to run up and vote when the bell rings and pots and pots of free money with 5 years salary straight into your bank account minimum.
  • Options

I suspect Lincoln will take that crown in May. Less than half the tourists of York and a far superior cathedral IMHO.
    The Gower?
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

I hate Nottingham the denizens keep voting Labour every election year in year out and the place becomes more and more of a shithole. Broxtowe Estate must be up there with anything Liverpool can offer now and that couldn't be less of a compliment.

• Options
    It'll be interesting to see if Labour is able to turn the nature of the campaign to their advantage in England and Wales in the same way that the SNP did during the indy ref. Surely everyone's going to be bored of the Tories gabbing on about the SNP from now until the election, so a "look at how negative their campaigning is/they've got nothing to say" line might actually work.

Then again, Labour aren't nearly as good at that kind of thing as the SNP proved themselves.
  • Options
    macisback said:

I hate Nottingham the denizens keep voting Labour every election year in year out
    The people are such b@stards.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

I think he'll be 5,000 votes behind.
    I would like Davey to just win [ but not enough to actually vote for him ]. If he loses, then I would like a big margin like your 5000.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    Neil said:

macisback said:

I hate Nottingham the denizens keep voting Labour every election year in year out
    The people are such b@stards.
    As a Derby lad I agree fully.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Lincoln Cathedral is indeed magnificent, but superior to York? Nah. Though I grant you it does beat it into third place.
This discussion has been closed.