Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A record-breaking 469,047 registered online to vote yesterd

Comments

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    An interesting interview with Nicola Sturgeon on Sky:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/590482878414204928

I think it summarises the SNP's campaign into two very simple messages:

- For Scottish voters - return as many SNP MPs as possible to best protect Scottish interests. I think we can all agree that this message is getting through.

- For rUK voters - the SNP are only anti-austerity party and will keep the Labour party honest. I think this message is starting to get through.

The relentless scaremongering by the Daily Mail and the Telegraph cannot be sustained for the next 2 weeks at the same level of intensity. I think the right wing media and the Tories have unleashed Project Fear 2 to early this time around, plus they do not have Labour and the left wing press singing from the same hymn sheet. I guess as well as scaring themselves the Project Fear gang are trying to scare a few Kippers back into the fold, best of luck with that approach as the Kippers seem to be a pretty stubborn bunch.

By 7th May most Labour supporters in England will see SNP as primarily a force for anti-austerity. In terms of the Tory grandee debate I think Michael Forsyth has called it correctly, I think the damage has already been done though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Anyone want to give odds on whether there'll be a registration cock up/someone turning up to the poll who "didn't realise they had to register" ?

It will happen and the BBC will get very angry as they did in 2010.
    I remember the lady who oversaw the election last time though - she was USELESS.

Also had my longest ever queue to vote last GE... and yet turnout was 59.6% in Sheffield Central ?! Work that one out...
    Interesting. Watching on TV I just assumed that a load of students thought it would be funny to turn up late and cause a bit of a stir.
    That was Hallam I think, but the queues were long in Nether Edge ward of Central for sure for sub 60% turnout. Greens will comfortably out poll the Liberals there this time. Bloomfield is buying money if you're into that sort of bet.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Does anyone think England will have an attack that can take 20 wickets in less than 3 days this time?

Well the beard that is feared is back. Should help.
    I was hoping that Rashid might get a game but Tredwell bowled well and deserves his place too. Drop Broad or Jordon?
    I think Tredders won't be picked because of either a hand or elbow problem.
    If the latter, perhaps Sunil should be co-opted on to the ECB training team....

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Does anyone think England will have an attack that can take 20 wickets in less than 3 days this time?

I was hoping that Rashid might get a game but Tredwell bowled well and deserves his place too. Drop Broad or Jordon?

Sunil doesn't like cricket.
    Is Golf the only sport more boring than Test Cricket?

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Test Cricket is the finest, most civilized sport in the world.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,476
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Anyone want to give odds on whether there'll be a registration cock up/someone turning up to the poll who "didn't realise they had to register" ?

I know we shouldn't joke about odds but I'll give you 1/10,000 that SOMEONE turns up at a poling station and is turned away because they are not registered!!
    I'll have a Trillion pounds please :o
    Dr Evil is that you? :)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Lestuh said:

SMukesh said:

Good news for Labour

And also potentially for Ukip, since a good chunk of their vote in the polls comes from people who didn't vote in earlier elections.
    Do UKIP supporters know how to register online ?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    It's never been the same since they did away with timeless Tests...
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    This is sometime PB'er Mrs_B, isn't it?

Mark Pack ‏@markpack

The best canvassing story of the 2015 election http://bit.ly/1D9emxM
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    As I'm registered in two places, I guarantee that my personal turnout will not exceed 50%.
  • Options
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

Errrr... how do I check if I'm registered to vote?

You'll be registered to vote If you feature on a LibDem bar chart. :smile:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/588025567427043330
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

I know we shouldn't joke about odds but I'll give you 1/10,000 that SOMEONE turns up at a poling station and is turned away because they are not registered!!
    Agreed, subject to the trillion pounds being deposited in escrow before election day.

;)
    I'll handle the escrow if that's amenable to you both?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    It's never been the same since they did away with timeless Tests...
    Yep - bring back timeless Tests!

T20 will only be short-lived fad....
  • Options

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)
  • Options

Mark Pack ‏@markpack

Yes, she's a top egg.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Barnesian said:

FPT Message for Pulpstar

I've put in all the Ashcroft contituency polls and, for those constituencies, used Ashcroft rather than my mathematical calculations. The Ashcroft polls are likely to pick up local effects whereas my method doesn't.

The result is:

Con 268
    Lab 274
    LD 28
    SNP 57
    PC 3
    Grn 1
    UKIP 2

UKIP seems to harm Lab more than Con in some critical seats.

NB Clegg loses Sheffield Hallam and Farage doesn't win Thanet S according to Ashcroft.

I think Tories would end up higher. Labour probably stay the same or slightly fewer. They will lose a few more to the Tories but the SNP score will be around 45 - 50.

Liberals - close to 20.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    I've seen a voter turned away from the polling station - because he was at the wrong polling station. His street had been reallocated and he just turned up to the same place he always voted.
  • Options
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Shouldn't it be a poem or limerick?!

Mark Pack ‏@markpack

• Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

I hope to do three ELBOWs for the coming Sunday, back-dating to August. One is the normal standard "official" ELBOW, aggregating all the polls for a given week; then a YouGov-only one; and then a non-YouGov-only one.

Thanks Sunil. Perhaps I am paranoid about Yougov but it will be interesting to see the parallels.
  • Options
    O/T - AGW

Dons helmet (as a lot of folk here maybe even the majority don't buy into anthropogenic global warming), but March 2015 was the warmest March ever recorded globally according to NOAA.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2015/3
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

I'll have a tenner!!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2015
    Blackburn had 73.405 voters registered on December 1th. In 2010 they were 71.822. In 2014 they went over 74,000.

Compared to 2010 biggest increase in number of voters in Manchester Central, Lewisham Deptford and Poplar/Limehouse (Bethnal Green up too)
    Leeds NW, Workington, Leeds West, Nothampton South and Bath the biggest falls.
    FalseFlag said:

The postal ballot system Labour devised which a judge said would disgrace a banana republic. Can't imagine why these tireless campaigners for social justice and all that is good and pure about this world introduced it.

Wonder what will happen in Blackburn with the % of postal votes.

Surely Labour must worry about their vote being hit both in numbers as well as efficiency.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Pulpstar said:
    Pass the sick bag: "he’s got Westminster in his sights but Sheffield in his heart"
  • Options

I hope to do three ELBOWs for the coming Sunday, back-dating to August. One is the normal standard "official" ELBOW, aggregating all the polls for a given week; then a YouGov-only one; and then a non-YouGov-only one.

How easy would it be to introduce phone/online discrimination too?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Cricket mirrors real life more than most games. There are exciting bits and less exciting bits.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*

Well said Nige comrade. I am booked for Lords against new Zealand for the 3rd and fourth days, but sadly couldn't get tickets for the Ozzies.
    Test cricket is utterly sublime.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    Facebook voodoo uniLAD apparently

Ricky (@RickyJames94)
    20/04/2015 16:44
    Massive poll - 80,000+ replies. UKIP lead on 31%. VOTE #UKIP and you will GET #UKIP pic.twitter.com/TBQLuBhGQU
  • Options
    edited April 2015

NSFW

Who was Paddy ranting at - SNP I'm guessing ?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Mark Pack ‏@markpack

It's the practical examples that really bring home to you why someone might want a restraining order.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    antifrank said:

Mark Pack ‏@markpack

It's the practical examples that really bring home to you why someone might want a restraining order.
    The mind boggles as to what the game involves.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    antifrank said:

Mark Pack ‏@markpack

Well quite - I'd be freaked out if I heard that story on the doorstep.
  • Options
    Imagine it's like Monopoly with Chris Huhne in jail and shooting a dog = not collecting £200

antifrank said:

Mark Pack ‏@markpack

The mind boggles as to what the game involves.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,126
    surbiton said:

Lestuh said:

SMukesh said:

Good news for Labour

And also potentially for Ukip, since a good chunk of their vote in the polls comes from people who didn't vote in earlier elections.
    Their main problem is that the valves on their computers keep going pop. Although valves are more reliable if always left on, which might explain why they seem to be online 24/7. (*)

Although I'm not sure how they're using the Internet, considering Arpanet started in the late 1960s.

(*) Yes, I know, I can talk...
  • Options
    It was *played it frequently* that worried me most.

antifrank said:

Mark Pack ‏@markpack

Well quite - I'd be freaked out if I heard that story on the doorstep.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited April 2015
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*

Well said Nige comrade. I am booked for Lords against new Zealand for the 3rd and fourth days, but sadly couldn't get tickets for the Ozzies.
    Ashes tickets are impossible, I was hoping to get invited by Vitality Health but apparently the bods from head office have claimed the tickets.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Cricket mirrors real life more than most games. There are exciting bits and less exciting bits.
    AndyJS- are you Chancey Gardner?

• Options
    edited April 2015

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    That's true. The funny thing is when I first noticed cricket on the TV when I was 10 years old and heard Richie Benaud commentating I instantly knew it to be the case. This was the best game that existed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    surbiton said:

Lestuh said:

SMukesh said:

Good news for Labour

You went very, very quiet last time you tried sneering at the intelligence of Ukip supporters and I asked you for some intellectual credentials of your own.

Do some research about how well ukip do in online polling relative to telephone. The answer makes your post look a tiny bit stupid and ill-informed.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,012

surbiton said:

Lestuh said:

SMukesh said:

Good news for Labour

Their main problem is that the valves on their computers keep going pop. Although valves are more reliable if always left on, which might explain why they seem to be online 24/7. (*)

Although I'm not sure how they're using the Internet, considering Arpanet started in the late 1960s.

(*) Yes, I know, I can talk...
    I thought it was moths in the relay contacts?!

• Options
    murali_s said:

O/T - AGW

Dons helmet (as a lot of folk here maybe even the majority don't buy into anthropogenic global warming), but March 2015 was the warmest March ever recorded globally according to NOAA.

At the moment this month of April is on course to be the joint-15th warmest in the 350+ year long Central England Temperature record, a bit cooler than April last year. This is a bit disappointing compared to the warmest April on record (2011, wedding of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge) and the joint-10th warmest July on record, and warmest since the record July of 2006 (2013, birth of Prince George).

Perhaps the birth of the Royal baby will not occur until May?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    edited April 2015
    @Pulpstar - if you're in Sheffield Central - curious what you are seeing / hearing from the Pirate candidate - any chance of a held deposit?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Eagles, one suspects Ashdown's pining for attention. The Lib Dems are getting relatively little coverage this time.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how often 5th Day tickets end up being pointless? I've only seen a couple of Tests and they were great fun.
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    That's true. The funny thing is when I first noticed cricket on the TV when I was 10 years old and heard Richie Benaud commentating I instantly knew it to be the case.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,907
    Pulpstar said:
    I am still hopeful of converting TSE after 2015 when a defeated Tory party goes to out UKiP UKIP!
  • Options
    Lennon said:

@Pulpstar - if you're in Sheffield Central - curious what you are seeing / hearing from the Pirate candidate - any chance of a held deposit?

In NE Derbyshire this time I'm afraid !
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,730
    murali_s said:

O/T - AGW

April showers? Seems more like summer. Of course one month's data, one set of floods or droughts doesn't actually prove anything, they're just indications.
    It's always puzzled me how intelligent people seem to think that their opinions on AGW really amount to much. The scientific evidence is convincing and is being refined all the time, scientists try to get ever closer to the facts in this field as in any other.
    You may be right about the majority opinion on PB, luckily they're not running the country.
    To those who deny (sorry are sceptical about) AGW, just swap to LED bulbs because they'll save you 80% of your electricity bill. This in turn is 20% of your energy bill, which averages around £1,200/yr, so you'd save £240/year, every year. Don't do it for the planet, do it for your pocket.
  • Options
    O/T:

Betting on Germany in this U20 game might be value. They're behind at the moment vs Italy but the odds suggest they still have a good chance of winning:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/football/event?id=27425809
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,012
    calum said:

An interesting interview with Nicola Sturgeon on Sky:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/590482878414204928

I think it summarises the SNP's campaign into two very simple messages:

- For Scottish voters - return as many SNP MPs as possible to best protect Scottish interests. I think we can all agree that this message is getting through.

- For rUK voters - the SNP are only anti-austerity party and will keep the Labour party honest. I think this message is starting to get through.

The relentless scaremongering by the Daily Mail and the Telegraph cannot be sustained for the next 2 weeks at the same level of intensity. I think the right wing media and the Tories have unleashed Project Fear 2 to early this time around, plus they do not have Labour and the left wing press singing from the same hymn sheet. I guess as well as scaring themselves the Project Fear gang are trying to scare a few Kippers back into the fold, best of luck with that approach as the Kippers seem to be a pretty stubborn bunch.

By 7th May most Labour supporters in England will see SNP as primarily a force for anti-austerity. In terms of the Tory grandee debate I think Michael Forsyth has called it correctly, I think the damage has already been done though.

This sort of stuff? The DM and the DT might try to keep it up for another two weeks, easy. (But there was that astonishingly calm, for the rUK media, and indeed much of the Scottish media, and positive appraisal in the Mirror money section about the SNP implications for family finances.)

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/590496785006747648

• Options
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :lol:
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*

Ashes tickets are impossible, I was hoping to get invited by Vitality Health but apparently the bods from head office have claimed the tickets.
    If you can afford the money/time to watch domestic cricket, then becoming a Surrey Member is something I'd highly recommend. Tickets to the Ashes and watching the likes of Pieterson and Sangakarra slay Div 2 bowlers to all parts of the Oval this summer... ;-)
  • Options
    Anyone making that calculation is liable to be summarily executed by the ECB marketing department.
    Plato said:

Does anyone know how often 5th Day tickets end up being pointless? I've only seen a couple of Tests and they were great fun.

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    That's true. The funny thing is when I first noticed cricket on the TV when I was 10 years old and heard Richie Benaud commentating I instantly knew it to be the case.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Anecdote alert. On train into London from Kent. Some guy reading from the Metro tutting away. Realises he's being heard by the woman nearby says "sorry, it's the SNP stuff. It's outrageous." Woman: "It certainly is." Him:"That lunatic woman." Her: "Yes, she's got them wrapped around her finger." Him: "Yes, especially Miliband."
  • Options
    Anyway I am pleased that Labour has finally got it's act together to counter the Tory scaremongering of the SNP as the grubby, opportunistic, calculated, divisive, politics it actually is.

And rolling out Sir John. I think most people are still scarred by the appalling mental images of him banging Edwina rather than saying anything of note. No amount of mind bleach has managed to erase that from my head, and I've tried.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    I heard a bit of Alastair Campbell being interviewed on the radio whilst I was out buying a sarnie at lunchtime. He was quite stridently (as ever) arguing that the Tories should be sticking to selling the Tory line and Tory policies in the GE campaign and Labour should do the same for theirs, and it was pathetic and desperate for the Tories to be articulating nothing of their message or policies and instead negatively scaremongering people into what it would be like if the SNP won loads of seats and held a Labour government to ransom, and that it demeaned them to have given up so completely that this was their only message.

It was an utterly compelling point, obviously correct, and I agreed with every word.

Not very often you'll see my saying that about Campbell's utterances (unless they involve the Clarets), but he's spot on.

Why cannot Tory high command see how badly they are shooting themselves in the foot?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: .@afneil puts to Douglas Alexander that @HackneyAbbott had more power than Obama ahead of Syria vote.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    ITV News (@itvnews)
    21/04/2015 12:00
    100 small companies hail Ukip as party launches business manifesto #GE2015 itv.com/news/2015-04-2… pic.twitter.com/R8XBBNiz3s
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Tyson, how has Labour got it's act together?

Apart from denying there'd be a coalition (which Sturgeon has already ruled out...) they haven't said much.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    Plato said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Being there on day 5 is usually fantastic, assuming there's not 1 wicket or 20 runs to get.

The problem is always tickets. either:

1. Sold at the gate only - in which case you have to get the day off on Monday at no notice and make your way to the ground early enough that they're not all sold when you arrive.

Or

2. they sell them out in advance, with booking fees, postage etc added, you book a day off work, maybe trains and hotels etc but 9 times out of 10 the match finishes early and you then have to apply for a refund!

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I heard a bit of Alastair Campbell being interviewed on the radio whilst I was out buying a sarnie at lunchtime. He was quite stridently (as ever) arguing that the Tories should be sticking to selling the Tory line and Tory policies in the GE campaign and Labour should do the same for theirs, and it was pathetic and desperate for the Tories to be articulating nothing of their message or policies and instead negatively scaremongering people into what it would be like if the SNP won loads of seats and held a Labour government to ransom, and that it demeaned them to have given up so completely that this was their only message.

It was an utterly compelling point, obviously correct, and I agreed with every word.

Not very often you'll see my saying that about Campbell's utterances (unless they involve the Clarets), but he's spot on.

Why cannot Tory high command see how badly they are shooting themselves in the foot?

So Alastair Campbell doesn't like what the Tories are doing, and you think that means it is bad for the Tories.

Seriously?

• Options

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*

Listen Sunil- I do want to racially stereotype you, but the love of cricket must be in your DNA. You must be a white teenager from Ramsgate masquerading as an Indian.
  • Options

SNIP

Sorry, Bob. Phil Roberts retains his crown as 'most convincing sock puppet"
  • Options
    Yay! Germany have scored.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,126
    edited April 2015
    tyson said:

Anyway I am pleased that Labour has finally got it's act together to counter the Tory scaremongering of the SNP as the grubby, opportunistic, calculated, divisive, politics it actually is.

And rolling out Sir John. I think most people are still scarred by the appalling mental images of him banging Edwina rather than saying anything of note. No amount of mind bleach has managed to erase that from my head, and I've tried.

How much mind bleach is needed for Prescott and all the other Labour MPs and ministers who had affairs?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927

Why do I get the feeling Bad Al doesn't have the Tories best interest's at heart?????

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I wonder what will happen to the SNP if they don't end up in coalition or in some sort of arrangement with Labour. Some of their younger MPs might get fed up sitting on the opposition benches doing nothing very much, except rubbing shoulders with Labour MPs who detest them. We could have a few by-elections after a couple of years.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Seriously?

No.

Bob is pretending to be a disgruntled tory.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    Alistair said:

Barnesian said:

FPT Message for Pulpstar

I've put in all the Ashcroft contituency polls and, for those constituencies, used Ashcroft rather than my mathematical calculations. The Ashcroft polls are likely to pick up local effects whereas my method doesn't.

The result is:

Con 268
    Lab 274
    LD 28
    SNP 57
    PC 3
    Grn 1
    UKIP 2

UKIP seems to harm Lab more than Con in some critical seats.

NB Clegg loses Sheffield Hallam and Farage doesn't win Thanet S according to Ashcroft.

Out of I interest are the two non SNP seats Orkney and Shetland and Dumfries and GallowAy?
    No. Berwickshire Con, and Glasgow NE Lab.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*

Listen Sunil- I do want to racially stereotype you, but the love of cricket must be in your DNA. You must be a white teenager from Ramsgate masquerading as an Indian.
    Tyson,

I'm not terribly keen on Crappywood Bollywood either :lol:
  • Options

Anecdote alert. On train into London from Kent. Some guy reading from the Metro tutting away. Realises he's being heard by the woman nearby says "sorry, it's the SNP stuff. It's outrageous." Woman: "It certainly is." Him:"That lunatic woman." Her: "Yes, she's got them wrapped around her finger." Him: "Yes, especially Miliband."

Sort of reinforces my musings yesterday lunchtime - this issue resonates quite well in Surrey or Kent.

But in Pendle, Rossendale, Bury North, Lancaster, Wirral West, Pudsey........ ???
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Electoral roll Dec 2010: 41.78m
    Electoral roll Dec 2014: 41.41m

Given that the England/Wales population has risen around 1.5m in that time, that's a big hole.

I note that Ceredigion and Cardiff are two areas where the electoral roll has declined most notably.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

murali_s said:

O/T - AGW

April showers? Seems more like summer. Of course one month's data, one set of floods or droughts doesn't actually prove anything, they're just indications.
    It's always puzzled me how intelligent people seem to think that their opinions on AGW really amount to much. The scientific evidence is convincing and is being refined all the time, scientists try to get ever closer to the facts in this field as in any other.
    You may be right about the majority opinion on PB, luckily they're not running the country.
    To those who deny (sorry are sceptical about) AGW, just swap to LED bulbs because they'll save you 80% of your electricity bill. This in turn is 20% of your energy bill, which averages around £1,200/yr, so you'd save £240/year, every year. Don't do it for the planet, do it for your pocket.
    The scientific evidence for what? That human activity has some effect on climate? I don't know of anyone who disputes that.

The debate is about whether modelling of a system as complex and chaotic as the climate can produce predictions more accurate than a coin-flip. If you think it can, please name just one other complex and chaotic system where it can.
  • Options
    Despite what Bad Al says, this Tory Rag loves it...
    Have the Tories hit the jackpot? Judging by the media coverage of the past five days they have. They have managed to combine their warnings of economic chaos after 8 May – the threat of excessive borrowing, leftwing influence and instability – with the threat posed by Scottish nationalism. By uniting Nicola Sturgeon and Ed Miliband in the nation’s mind, the Tories have injected a badly needed new ingredient into their warnings about Miliband. Previously, those warnings were not gaining sufficient traction because Miliband had been outperforming expectations.

It is a brilliant strategy, and bears the hallmark of George Osborne, a keen reader of Scottish politics. And it has left Labour fighting hard to get a hearing for its warnings about the NHS.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/21/tories-election-2015-sturgeon-miliband-warning

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Given that the England/Wales population has risen around 1.5m in that time, that's a big hole.

I note that Ceredigion and Cardiff are two areas where the electoral roll has declined most notably.

Cardigan.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

University seats. Probably students registered in more than one place.
  • Options
    Attainers (those hitting 18) on the roll:

Dec 2010: 434,732
    Dec 2014: 266,348
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Being there on day 5 is usually fantastic, assuming there's not 1 wicket or 20 runs to get.

1. Sold at the gate only - in which case you have to get the day off on Monday at no notice and make your way to the ground early enough that they're not all sold when you arrive.

Or

2. they sell them out in advance, with booking fees, postage etc added, you book a day off work, maybe trains and hotels etc but 9 times out of 10 the match finishes early and you then have to apply for a refund!

@Sandpit
    unless the weather plays a part, the type of cricket now played by New Zealand and Australia means 5th day tickets are pointless. I am nervous about my fourth day against New Zealand to be honest.

When I was a kid I used to buy all five days for the Old Trafford Test Matches, and everytime there was fifth day cricket. But it rained alot, and Dikkie Bird always liked taking everyone off with the light, and there was always the odd IRA bomb scare to boot when the ground was evacuated.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,115
    I know we're all obsessed with UK politics here, but I thought I'd do a little polling round up from Spain, the Netherlands and France.

Spain
    The rise of Citizen's continues with the last three opinion polls all putting them between 17 and 19%. They are slightly behind the Socialists (19-22%), who are pretty much level-pegging with Podemos (20-22%). The governing PP retains its lead with all but one of the pollsters, and they look like they're 4-5% ahead of the pack. The most likely outcome for Spain in 2015 looks to be a PP-Citizen's coalition, assuming the former gets 25% and the latter 20%. However, my Spanish friends in Madrid are convinced that Citizen's will top the polls (not bad for a party getting 3% of the vote in the polls nine months ago). We shall see.

The Netherlands
    The latest polls show the governing VVD in the lead, garnering a high 20s number of seats (in a 150 seat parliament), which is down sharply from the 41 achieved in 2012. The PVV has faded somewhat and now looks likely to get around 20 seats, up from 15 in the last election, pretty much the same level as the SP, the CDA and D66. If current numbers are right, it's going to be very messy putting a coalition together after the next Dutch election.

France
    For the first time, Marine Le Pen is not leading in the first round Presidential voting question - she lags either Sarkozy or Juppe. (Although she's still at twice the level of Francois Hollande, a man who manages just 15% in the first round.) On the run-offs, Le Pen runs Hollande very close, but continues to lose 70:30 to Juppe, and only slightly less against Sarkozy.
  • Options
    Plato said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Probably about 50% of fifth days end up in a draw, but that isn't the same thing as them being a boring experience.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Why do I get the feeling Bad Al doesn't have the Tories best interest's at heart?????

Of course he doesn't. I can normally get all outraged and argumentative when I hear Ali C because he's usually talking Labour partisan gibberish.

But on this. Spot on. That was my point - it's a bit unusual for me to agree with him, which kind of makes me think he might be right....
  • Options
    Is today's match in Grenada the first time England have played a Test there? I ought to know the answer but don't.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Plato said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Probably about 50% of fifth days end up in a draw, but that isn't the same thing as them being a boring experience.
    Yawwwwwn!
  • Options
    Election Forecast have detected a Plaid surge as the electorate get Wood.

https://twitter.com/May2015NS/status/590507081087770624
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,463

GIN1138 said:

Of course he doesn't. I can normally get all outraged and argumentative when I hear Ali C because he's usually talking Labour partisan gibberish.

But on this. Spot on. That was my point - it's a bit unusual for me to agree with him, which kind of makes me think he might be right....
    All's fair in love and war.
  • Options

Tyson,

Sunil

Now I know you are a 18 year old white malcontent living in Ramsgate.
    Or, perhaps you should do a DNA test and check who your parents are.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Plato said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Yawwwwwn!
    I've heard some people describe Test cricket as boring and then say they're fans of watching chess. Doesn't make sense to me. Test cricket is like chess except more active.
  • Options
    Dec 2014 - annual increase in electoral roll - UK Top 10

Wellingborough 7% +3,420
    East Devon 5% +4,665
    Tonbridge and Malling 4% +3,825
    Allerdale 3% +1,787
    Arun 3% +2,970
    Ashfield 3% +2,724
    Cornwall 2% +6,625
    Shropshire 2% +5,303
    Barnet 2% +4,671
    Northampton 2% +3,007

Dec 2014 - annual decrease in electoral roll - UK Top 10

Ceredigion -12% -6,988
    Cardiff -11% -28,462
    Oxford -11% -12,093
    Southampton -10% -17,119
    Newcastle upon Tyne -9% -17,405
    Haringey -9% -15,851
    Charnwood -9% -12,332
    Westminster -8% -10,659
    Blackpool -8% -9,396
    Reading -8% -9,226
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

GIN1138 said:

Has he given us 45 mins to save the Tory election campaign?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    tyson said:

Tyson,

Sunil

Now I know you are a 18 year old white malcontent living in Ramsgate.

How many of those are vegetarian? :)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Perhaps because they are not targeting pretend Tories like you who have consistently rubbished your 'party for the last fortnight. You're actually worse than the Labour trolls. The very fact that you can agree with Campbell is very telling.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    edited April 2015
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Or

@Sandpit
    unless the weather plays a part, the type of cricket now played by New Zealand and Australia means 5th day tickets are pointless. I am nervous about my fourth day against New Zealand to be honest.

When I was a kid I used to buy all five days for the Old Trafford Test Matches, and everytime there was fifth day cricket. But it rained alot, and Dikkie Bird always liked taking everyone off with the light, and there was always the odd IRA bomb scare to boot when the ground was evacuated.
    That's true, not a lot of 5 day matches any more unless rain-affected. The old PB maxim of laying the draw is usually a good strategy. It doesn't help that our bowlers are sh1t at the moment either!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927

GIN1138 said:

Given that a minority Labour government, held to ransom by the SNP, would be a disaster for the country, I think the Tory strategy of pointing that out is correct.

They should counter it with a little more "light" to go with all the "shade" but overall I think they are playing this week pretty well.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

I wonder what will happen to the SNP if they don't end up in coalition or in some sort of arrangement with Labour. Some of their younger MPs might get fed up sitting on the opposition benches doing nothing very much, except rubbing shoulders with Labour MPs who detest them. We could have a few by-elections after a couple of years.

I imagine they will only be down in London if there is the potential to do something interesting by way of voting against the Tories and generally causing a ruckus, and when back in Scotland they will have large and enthusiastic local parties to support them.

Plus, of course, the money is good.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Plato said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Yawwwwwn!
    I've heard some people describe Test cricket as boring and then say they're fans of watching chess. Doesn't make sense to me. Test cricket is like chess except more active.
    I did play chess for my primary school, can't remember any of my matches lasting five days and ending in a pointless draw!
  • Options

Apart from denying there'd be a coalition (which Sturgeon has already ruled out...) they haven't said much.

See Bob_Sykes posts on the Alistair Campbell interview.

• Options
    It’s currently very fashionable to rubbish the Conservative campaign, and Labour have tried to cite the use of the SNP card as evidence of mounting panic in the Tory camp. But the reality is posters depicting Ed Miliband dancing to the SNP’s tune first appeared at the beginning of March. Since then the Tories have been doggedly prodding away at the theme.
    @DPJHodges: It's taken 23 days, but the Tories have finally cut through > Telegraph > http://t.co/D4R4PB1p2B
  • Options
    Note Sunil's judicious use of "Test Cricket" rather than just "Cricket".
  • Options

Election Forecast have detected a Plaid surge as the electorate get Wood.

https://twitter.com/May2015NS/status/590507081087770624

On Yns Mon @ 12-5 in Wales. Seems OK off the back of this :) Electionforecast had Plaid dead for AGES.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Given that a minority Labour government, held to ransom by the SNP, would be a disaster for the country, I think the Tory strategy of pointing that out is correct.

They should counter it with a little more "light" to go with all the "shade" but overall I think they are playing this week pretty well.

Ah, so majority Labour govt would be preferable?

:lol:
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You wouldn't want to rely on the student vote - biggest drops in absolute voter numbers

Cardiff 234,476 -28,462 -11%
    Durham 376,934 -26,808 -7%
    Liverpool 304,907 -20,218 -6%
    Bradford 331,494 -19,388 -6%
    Newcastle upon Tyne 184,401 -17,405 -9%
    Southampton 160,076 -17,119 -10%
    Cheshire East 272,909 -16,788 -6%
    Haringey 159,360 -15,851 -9%
    Brighton and Hove 192,325 -14,842 -7%
    Nottingham 191,363 -12,999 -6%
    Manchester 368,265 -12,665 -3%
    Kirklees 300,627 -12,606 -4%