Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A record-breaking 469,047 registered online to vote yesterd

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,013

Good afternoon, everyone.

I'm relieved to hear the bastion of Britishness which is morris dancing shall be untainted by the grubby business of partisan politics.

Whoever forms the next government, morris dancing shall flourish!

Britishness, er?

But nothing like a pint of good ale out in the evening sun with a dance going on in the yard of a Dorset pub.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Good afternoon, everyone.

I'm relieved to hear the bastion of Britishness which is morris dancing shall be untainted by the grubby business of partisan politics.

Whoever forms the next government, morris dancing shall flourish!

That is excellent news, but where are you getting it from?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

Dave has spent more time during this election talking about the S.N.P. than talking about the N.H.S.

Says it all really

Why on earth would he talk about the NHS - Labour home turf !!
  • Options

Based on the current rules, the next boundary commission will be using the December 2015 electoral registers. This is after the full effect of independent voter registration comes in, as this year as an interim measure there has been rollover of the previous register where people have not moved, etc.

You do wonder what odds you might get on MPs voting the boundary review down again, although as mentioned the SNP might vote for it if Scotland gets more MPs
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

I am no more a fan of the politics of English anger than the Scottish variety: both are marinaded in self-regard and grievance. But proportionality matters. Sturgeon told me in an interview for the Standard just before the campaign that she expected Scottish MPs, even after enhanced devolution, to have a vote on anything from education to the NHS which might have budgetary implications for Scotland. In other words, just about everything that is not about Morris dancing. This is plainly unstable and glaringly unfair. Cameron will spend the next two weeks telling us so. Miliband has an even more forbidding task: shaking off the pythonesque embrace of Nicola Sturgeon.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/anne-mcelvoy-ed-miliband-must-beware-the-pythonesque-squeeze-of-nicola-sturgeon-10192176.html

I asked last week and shall ask again; At what point does Ed not telling Nicola to get stuffed start to cost him more than it gains him?
    "which might have budgetary implications for Scotland", and then the author whines that it's unfair for MPs from Scotland to wish to influence that decision?

Pull the other leg, I'm a centipede (or in this context perhaps rather a Milipede).

Firstly, it should be a very straightforward and easy matter to ensure that English MPs priorities as to how they spend their money does not have a knock on effect on a fixed Scottish budget.

Secondly, the logic of the SNP's (and SLAB's) position is that the Commons should have this wedge of MPs who will always vote for more public spending on the basis that it brings additional and consequential pork to Scotland. Does anyone, even in the SNP, seriously think that is a sustainable position?
    I think you are perhaps confusing spending with budgetary decisions - the original Standard article is plainly exaggerating for panic effect. It's not - usually - a problem [edit] to deal with minutiae of English spending.

On the second issue, why not? All MPs do it within the UK context, as far as they can, and indeed so they should. That's part of what they are voted in for.

PS Sorry should have been clearer - my second issue para referred to the pork issue. Increasing public spending is a wider issue/restraint/policy implicit in 'as far as they can'.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    MikeK said:

Gains

Edinburgh North and Leith 4482
    East Devon 3.363
    Wellingborough 3.092
    Tonbridge and Malling 2.472
    Wantage 2.145
    Edinburgh South 2111
    Glasgow South 2052
    Northampton South 1.935
    Ashfield 1.858
    Glasgow East 1803
    North Cornwall 1.746
    Bognor Regis and Littlehampton 1.742
    Hendon 1.715
    Shrewsbury and Atcham 1.712
    Edinburgh West 1665
    Mansfield 1.610
    Ludlow 1.575
    Taunton Deane 1.516
    Glasgow South West 1500
    Foyle 1.457

Suzanne Evans is the UKIP candidate for Shrewsbury and Atcham.

I thought it was a no-hoper, but she is a great candidate.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/shrewsburyandatcham/
    What a mush of a polling report. Not even a photo of Suzanne Evans who is now well known, or any other candidate except the giant. Phoowee!!
    UKpollingreport is behind the times

Politics: Dagenham is a safe Labour area, held by the party since it was given its own seat in 1945. It has also been an area of BNP strength, with the party winning 11% of the vote here in 2010.

https://yougov.co.uk/#/constituency/128/nowcast/
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's number 385 for Jimmy.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,427
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

I am no more a fan of the politics of English anger than the Scottish variety: both are marinaded in self-regard and grievance. But proportionality matters. Sturgeon told me in an interview for the Standard just before the campaign that she expected Scottish MPs, even after enhanced devolution, to have a vote on anything from education to the NHS which might have budgetary implications for Scotland. In other words, just about everything that is not about Morris dancing. This is plainly unstable and glaringly unfair. Cameron will spend the next two weeks telling us so. Miliband has an even more forbidding task: shaking off the pythonesque embrace of Nicola Sturgeon.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/anne-mcelvoy-ed-miliband-must-beware-the-pythonesque-squeeze-of-nicola-sturgeon-10192176.html

I asked last week and shall ask again; At what point does Ed not telling Nicola to get stuffed start to cost him more than it gains him?
    "which might have budgetary implications for Scotland", and then the author whines that it's unfair for MPs from Scotland to wish to influence that decision?

Pull the other leg, I'm a centipede (or in this context perhaps rather a Milipede).

Firstly, it should be a very straightforward and easy matter to ensure that English MPs priorities as to how they spend their money does not have a knock on effect on a fixed Scottish budget.

Secondly, the logic of the SNP's (and SLAB's) position is that the Commons should have this wedge of MPs who will always vote for more public spending on the basis that it brings additional and consequential pork to Scotland. Does anyone, even in the SNP, seriously think that is a sustainable position?
    I think you are perhaps confusing spending with budgetary decisions - the original Standard article is plainly exaggerating for panic effect. It's not - usually - a problem [edit] to deal with minutiae of English spending.

On the second issue, why not? All MPs do it within the UK context, as far as they can, and indeed so they should. That's part of what they are voted in for.

No, it really isn't. They are elected to authorise affordable expenditure that is not ruinous to the country. This may not have been the practice in recent times but it remains the position.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. X, it's mentioned on this thread, and there is no source more authoritative than pb.com, surely?

Mr. Carnyx, I believe an exiled supporter of your cause, a Mr. Sven Dicksson, was meant to have performed an exciting Scottish morris dance, but trepidation got the better of him (I quite sympathise. Waving one's wiffle stick around in public is not for the faint of heart).
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    chestnut said:

You wouldn't want to rely on the student vote - biggest drops in absolute voter numbers

Cardiff 234,476 -28,462 -11%
    Durham 376,934 -26,808 -7%
    Liverpool 304,907 -20,218 -6%
    Bradford 331,494 -19,388 -6%
    Newcastle upon Tyne 184,401 -17,405 -9%
    Southampton 160,076 -17,119 -10%
    Cheshire East 272,909 -16,788 -6%
    Haringey 159,360 -15,851 -9%
    Brighton and Hove 192,325 -14,842 -7%
    Nottingham 191,363 -12,999 -6%
    Manchester 368,265 -12,665 -3%
    Kirklees 300,627 -12,606 -4%
    Leicester 224,750 -12,389 -5%
    Charnwood 123,786 -12,332 -9%
    Oxford 99,730 -12,093 -11%
    Wigan 234,261 -11,649 -5%
    Doncaster 210,826 -11,165 -5%
    Kingston upon Hull 180,740 -10,757 -6%
    Westminster 127,541 -10,659 -8%
    York 146,322 -10,494 -7%

I was in Bradford today talking to some political activists. They reckon that about 10,000 of the 'disappeared' are 'ghosts'. Classic example was one empty house that had 20 registered voters - now gone.
  • Options

Dave has spent more time during this election talking about the S.N.P. than talking about the N.H.S.

Says it all really

This week is labour's big NHS week but it is all being drowned out by the SNP controversy and with the terrible migrants problem in the Med rightly being subject to intense media scrunity on thursday by the European council meeting, and a possible royal baby, the week is likely to finish with no or very little, NHS coverage
    Unless anyone wants to have a serious debate about how the Health Service in the UK can be afforded in the long term, that is probably the best result. Politicians producing silly figures and willy-waving about how much more they will borrow to spend doesn't take us any further forward.
    Well we did have Ed's promise of 1,000 additional nurses. When the best that politicians can do is promise trivia like that and invent new ways to spend money when they cannot fund the NHS's own plan and budgetary requirements to maintain the existing service further debate becomes futile.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    JEO said:

Scott_P said:

SMukesh said:

Both TEBBIT AND FORSYTHE are old Conservative voices.

This is hilarious

TEBBIT AND FORSYTHE are throwbacks to a Thatcherite past, and remind voters of the Nasty Party, oh, wait the true voice of conservatism that Cameron should and must adhere to...

Spin any harder you'll throw up, lads.
    Tebbit and Forsythe were part of a party that won three majorities in a row, unlike the current party.
    Fortune favours the lucky. Foot and the SDP were the major causes of this.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

No, it really isn't. They are elected to authorise affordable expenditure that is not ruinous to the country. This may not have been the practice in recent times but it remains the position.

Thanks. I wasn't too clear as I have already admitted - the PS presumably covers this at least to some extent.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Is that down to *individual voter* registration this time?
    slade said:

chestnut said:

You wouldn't want to rely on the student vote - biggest drops in absolute voter numbers

York 146,322 -10,494 -7%

I was in Bradford today talking to some political activists. They reckon that about 10,000 of the 'disappeared' are 'ghosts'. Classic example was one empty house that had 20 registered voters - now gone.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Who decides what is "affordable" ? I don't think a budget surplus should not even be a goal. After all, how many years since the War have we had a budget surplus? The total debt, by historical standards and relative to other countries is no big deal.

Government should attempt to be in the 2% -4% band of the GDP as far as the deficit is concerned.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

Anecdote alert. On train into London from Kent. Some guy reading from the Metro tutting away. Realises he's being heard by the woman nearby says "sorry, it's the SNP stuff. It's outrageous." Woman: "It certainly is." Him:"That lunatic woman." Her: "Yes, she's got them wrapped around her finger." Him: "Yes, especially Miliband."

Sort of reinforces my musings yesterday lunchtime - this issue resonates quite well in Surrey or Kent.

But in Pendle, Rossendale, Bury North, Lancaster, Wirral West, Pudsey........ ???
    My thoughts exactly, what scares the horses in the Tory shires doesn't automatically do so in the rest of the country. Anyone gullible enough to buy the sort of stuff the Mail & Telegraph will come out with over the next couple of weeks was never likely to be voting Labour in the first place. As a counter anecdote I was sitting in a cafe in marginal Chester this morning and overheard 3 women all agreeing it would be refreshing to see Nicola Sturgeon involved in government after the election.
  • Options

Based on the current rules, the next boundary commission will be using the December 2015 electoral registers. This is after the full effect of independent voter registration comes in, as this year as an interim measure there has been rollover of the previous register where people have not moved, etc.

You do wonder what odds you might get on MPs voting the boundary review down again, although as mentioned the SNP might vote for it if Scotland gets more MPs
    With higher registrations they probably will.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2015
    TOPPING said:

surbiton said:

Tebbit said David Cameron’s decision to talk up the threat posed by the SNP was “puzzling”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/21/election-2015-live-labour-john-major-blackmail-snp-nicola-sturgeon-ed-miliband#block-55365de5e4b01211d17a1e0c

What I find puzzling now is the prime minister’s position that the SNP is far worse than Labour because, if so, as there are not many seats in Scotland where the Conservative Party has a chance to win, the logic would seem to be that Conservatives should vote tactically for Labour as the lesser of two evils.

I think it’s a huge scare tactic against Labour and whether the particular seat in the House of Commons is occupied by a Labour member or an SNP member perhaps it’s not a great difference.
    Tebbit accused Cameron of “irritating” the Scots for no good reason.

Having bungled the Scottish referendum it seems pointless to just irritate Scots by shouting at them from Westminster - the English are irritated into voting for Ukip, by being shouted at from Westminster - and the Scots are irritated similarly.

---

Tebbit gets it ! Cameron doesn't.

Cameron gets it.

From the Graun:
    "No matter that the SNP’s policies, as revealed on Monday, are copies of Labour’s, so with the sole exception of Trident they hardly drag the already leftwing Miliband any further left."
    theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/21/tories-election-2015-sturgeon-miliband-warning

The whole discussion, regardless of Forsyth, Tebbit, Major, is reminding the electorate how left wing Ed actually is (or rather, is reinforcing a perception that he is left wing).

That is where the damage is being done.

When polled, the public always place Miliband closer to the centre than Cameron.

People think Miliband is weird, out of his depth, weak, etc. But left-wing? LOL. If anything, when people are asked what his policies are, the common responses are still "he doesn't stand for anything" or "he just says what he thinks will win him votes".
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited April 2015
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Anyone want to give odds on whether there'll be a registration cock up/someone turning up to the poll who "didn't realise they had to register" ?

It will happen and the BBC will get very angry as they did in 2010.
    Ballot papers to "run out" in Dundee East :D
    Register and ballot papers vanish into the thin air at Glenrothes.

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/local-headlines/mystery-of-the-glenrothes-by-election-missing-papers-1-153322

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/571894/British-squash-champion-husband-refused-UK-visa

'Romanians can bring family to UK but I CAN'T' Brit squash champ fuming after visa refusal

A FORMER British squash champion is fuming after being told she CAN'T bring her family back home to the UK after her Australian husband was refused a visa.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Poll from December which ranked Cameron at +46 on the right-wing scale, while Miliband was ranked -35 on the left-wing scale:

http://labourlist.org/2014/12/red-ed-poll-shows-miliband-closer-to-the-centre-than-cameron/

Imo, that's the entire problem: that Cameron is throwing his core voters more policies they like, than Miliband is doing for his core vote.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

surbiton said:

Tebbit said David Cameron’s decision to talk up the threat posed by the SNP was “puzzling”.

---

Tebbit gets it ! Cameron doesn't.

Big boost for Labour that Tebbit keeps the Nat - Labour story rumbling on is it ?

I'm sure team Miliband want it to go on and on and on..
    It's lovely to see so many Labour supporters out and about today, trying to give the Tories a helping hand.
    Lab rampers on here appear to think it's in the bag - a rainbow coalition of the poor, progressive and public sector forming a human chain of kindness coalition from Brighton to Braemar let by the titan of politics - Ed Miliband.

Nailed on.

The northern and southern links joining together in Broxtowe, where Nick 'Shoo In' Palmer will bless them.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Tabman said:

JEO said:

Scott_P said:

SMukesh said:

Both TEBBIT AND FORSYTHE are old Conservative voices.

This is hilarious

TEBBIT AND FORSYTHE are throwbacks to a Thatcherite past, and remind voters of the Nasty Party, oh, wait the true voice of conservatism that Cameron should and must adhere to...

Spin any harder you'll throw up, lads.
    Tebbit and Forsythe were part of a party that won three majorities in a row, unlike the current party.
    Fortune favours the lucky. Foot and the SDP were the major causes of this.
    Fortune favours those that get the basics right, and put the effort in.

• Options
    Mr. K, that's madness.

Or UK immigration policy, as it's officially known.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It’s currently very fashionable to rubbish the Conservative campaign, and Labour have tried to cite the use of the SNP card as evidence of mounting panic in the Tory camp. But the reality is posters depicting Ed Miliband dancing to the SNP’s tune first appeared at the beginning of March. Since then the Tories have been doggedly prodding away at the theme.
    @DPJHodges: It's taken 23 days, but the Tories have finally cut through > Telegraph > http://t.co/D4R4PB1p2B
    Scott_P said:

It’s currently very fashionable to rubbish the Conservative campaign, and Labour have tried to cite the use of the SNP card as evidence of mounting panic in the Tory camp. But the reality is posters depicting Ed Miliband dancing to the SNP’s tune first appeared at the beginning of March. Since then the Tories have been doggedly prodding away at the theme.
    @DPJHodges: It's taken 23 days, but the Tories have finally cut through > Telegraph > http://t.co/D4R4PB1p2B

If the best the Tories can offer the country with 2 weeks to go is scare stories about the SNP then I think it is safe to say things are not going to plan. Citing Hodges as a source is beyond parody
  • Options
    slade said:

chestnut said:

York 146,322 -10,494 -7%

Wot no postal vote harvesting?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

But how can he tell her to get stuffed? He can't do anything to counter the dastardly, fiendish, underhand plan of the SNP that their MPs would vote for him in a vote of confidence.
    It destroys Labour's argument (Put forward here by Scottish Labour supporter John N, Murphy etc) that a vote for the SNP is a vote for the Tories...

Tremendously dastardly I agree.
    I think it's the funniest aspect of the whole campaign so far: "The SNP are going to help you become PM whether you like it or not!"
    You may laugh but on 8th May, it is EIC who maybe having the laugh !
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Says it all really

This week is labour's big NHS week but it is all being drowned out by the SNP controversy and with the terrible migrants problem in the Med rightly being subject to intense media scrunity on thursday by the European council meeting, and a possible royal baby, the week is likely to finish with no or very little, NHS coverage
    Unless anyone wants to have a serious debate about how the Health Service in the UK can be afforded in the long term, that is probably the best result. Politicians producing silly figures and willy-waving about how much more they will borrow to spend doesn't take us any further forward.
    Well we did have Ed's promise of 1,000 additional nurses. When the best that politicians can do is promise trivia like that and invent new ways to spend money when they cannot fund the NHS's own plan and budgetary requirements to maintain the existing service further debate becomes futile.
    Labour spokesmen have floundered on this very subject twice this morning, on both the Today Programme and Daily Politics. It's probably best avoided.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234
    Peter C said this on the previous thread:

"Just remember all the fashionable sycophancy directed to Blair and the approbrium heaped on Major from 1994 onwards. Yet look at their respective reputations now: one a money grubbing, dishonest charlatan - the other an elder statesman."

I agree. Unlike Blair and Thatcher and Heath, Sir John Major has demonstrated how an ex-PM should behave after leaving office.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Anecdote alert. On train into London from Kent. Some guy reading from the Metro tutting away. Realises he's being heard by the woman nearby says "sorry, it's the SNP stuff. It's outrageous." Woman: "It certainly is." Him:"That lunatic woman." Her: "Yes, she's got them wrapped around her finger." Him: "Yes, especially Miliband."

Sort of reinforces my musings yesterday lunchtime - this issue resonates quite well in Surrey or Kent.

But in Pendle, Rossendale, Bury North, Lancaster, Wirral West, Pudsey........ ???
    My thoughts exactly, what scares the horses in the Tory shires doesn't automatically do so in the rest of the country. Anyone gullible enough to buy the sort of stuff the Mail & Telegraph will come out with over the next couple of weeks was never likely to be voting Labour in the first place. As a counter anecdote I was sitting in a cafe in marginal Chester this morning and overheard 3 women all agreeing it would be refreshing to see Nicola Sturgeon involved in government after the election.
    Did you point out that she won't be, because she's not standing, but Salmond might?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I cannot believe that people would vote to put Miligeek into Number Ten..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    3plumloot said:

Amazes me how many on here will hunt for anything that props up there wishes and willfully ignore the only unbiased and science based evidence - the polls.

The polls aren't that varied and what they are saying is this: David Cameron will not be Prime Minister on May 8.

Taking the average, you're correct. OTOH, polls like Ashcroft, Opinium, and ICM could well see Cameron remain as PM, if they matched the outcome.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,478
    OllyT said:

As a counter anecdote I was sitting in a cafe in marginal Chester this morning and overheard 3 women all agreeing it would be refreshing to see Nicola Sturgeon involved in government after the election.

"She was a tigress surrounded by hamsters" :lol:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    OllyT said:

overheard 3 women all agreeing it would be refreshing to see Nicola Sturgeon involved in government after the election.

They do know she is not standing, right?
  • Options
    Would Dave or Ed be happier with Election Forecast's current forecast:

Con 283
    Lab 269
    SNP 47
    LD 26
    DUP 8
    PC 4
    SDLP 3
    UKIP 1
    Greens 1
    Speaker 1
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795

Step out of your dank cave and observe the real world.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I wonder if the Tory campaign might pivot at some point onto the NHS

In England, under coalition, best funded, best results

In Wales, under Labour, not so good

In Scotland, under SNP, dismal

Just imagine the English NHS in the hands of those who have jointly screwed up Wales and Scotland...

Tories won't bring up the NHS as I am sure all their own polling shows that the majority of voters don't believe a single word that comes out of their mouths on the subject
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

3plumloot said:

Amazes me how many on here will hunt for anything that props up there wishes and willfully ignore the only unbiased and science based evidence - the polls.

The polls aren't that varied and what they are saying is this: David Cameron will not be Prime Minister on May 8.

Taking the average, you're correct. OTOH, polls like Ashcroft, Opinium, and ICM could well see Cameron remain as PM, if they matched the outcome.
    Simple of average of this week's six polls so far = 33.3% each!

Patt-ELBOW says Lab 33.9, Con 33.4 :)

Take your pick!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

OllyT said:

overheard 3 women all agreeing it would be refreshing to see Nicola Sturgeon involved in government after the election.

No more do many a Tory, Labour or LD peer.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Laura Kuenssberg ✔ @bbclaurak

Tebbit suggests Cameron is unlike politicians of previous generations who were 'real men' ...OUCH!
  • Options
    As Pulpstar was saying last night, the Lib Dems had better be PRAYING that Ashcroft's (unproven) Q2 method is accurate, because if the Q1 responses are closer to the mark then they're going to do even worse than anyone thought.

Even Sutton & Cheam and Eastbourne, which people have assumed are rock-solid holds for the Lib Dems because they had huge leads on Q2, even they had the Tories leading on Q1.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

You're running a bit behind - people are liking Ed M more now.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694
    slade said:

chestnut said:

York 146,322 -10,494 -7%

That's interesting.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Class War chap standing in the lovely Forest of Dean. Top marks for optimism. Possibly the most hopeless candidate in the country? Good luck to him. I hope he comes canvassing. ...

We have had no fewer than 6 glossy ukip leaflets in our Kipper (local councillor) village and only one rather unimpressive Con delivery. Table dancing Tory Boy Mark Harper will still win FoD easily though.
  • Options
    Is Ed left wing? Not really.

He is delusional about the power of the State to do good; he is naïve about how regulation and bureaucracy can make things better; he leaps onto band wagons with almost no thought at all as to the consequences but left wing? I don't really see it.

In the past we had left wing politicians in this country. They had principles, beliefs and a vision of a future society which delusional or not they were clear that they had to work towards. I disagreed with their vision but I don't see anything like that kind of profound thinking on either side of the divide in the managerial era we now live in. Agree with them or not calling Ed left wing is frankly an insult to their memory and beliefs. He is an unconvincing managerial wannabe. He could still do a lot of damage though.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,134
    MikeK said:

Tebbit suggests Cameron is unlike politicians of previous generations who were 'real men' ...OUCH!

What is a 'real man'? Who defines it? What can be unexpected of an unreal man?
  • Options

MikeK said:

I look forward to Norman's thoughts on EdM.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    slade said:

chestnut said:

York 146,322 -10,494 -7%

Good to see the police were on top of the problem.
  • Options

murali_s said:

O/T - AGW

Dons helmet (as a lot of folk here maybe even the majority don't buy into anthropogenic global warming), but March 2015 was the warmest March ever recorded globally according to NOAA.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2015/3

Not according to the satellite data - not even close. Both the UAH and the RSS data show it a long way off the warmest.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/climatechange/march-2015-global-satellite-me/45194068
    Oh yeah - let's ignore what highly calibrated thermometers at ground level are telling us and point to machines testing colder parts of the upper atmosphere because some cherry picked data (for the moment) confomrs to our prejudices!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694

A few friends starting to talk about this on facebook today. Mostly soft-left but not all. All saying they're not enamoured of any of the choices, are embarrassed at any leader representing the UK on the world stage and don't know where to put their vote.

I can't say I blame them.
  • Options
    Totally OT..Just after six and the temp is still in the high twenties..bliss.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    More news from Bradford. In an earlier post I mentioned the David Ward posters on the ring rd. There has been a mass influx of Hussain and Ahmed posters. Indeed in Bradford Moor ward nearly all the houses on Killinghall Rd have stakeboards in the garden. However my spies tell me they were all put up during the night by 'community leaders' without the permission of the residents.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited April 2015

MikeK said:

I liked his spitting Image Hells Angel type image caricature. Leather jacket chains and boots a real hard case....
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited April 2015
    DavidL said:

Says it all really

Felt that Ed came across pretty badly in his interview with Evan Davis on a number of things, including the NHS. When is a top-down reorganisation not a top-down reorganisation?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Afternoon all. My thoughts on the constituency seat markets taken as a whole:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/when-april-turns-to-may-what-seat.html
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

It
    OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

If the best the Tories can offer the country with 2 weeks to go is scare stories about the SNP then I think it is safe to say things are not going to plan. Citing Hodges as a source is beyond parody

It's not very positive but it's top-drawer politics. The SNP/Labour thing is dominating the news agenda and if you were a Tory advisor you'd be advising them to keep pushing it.

• Options
    kle4.. Then the country will get the geek it deserves..I wish it well.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    BenM said:

murali_s said:

O/T - AGW

Dons helmet (as a lot of folk here maybe even the majority don't buy into anthropogenic global warming), but March 2015 was the warmest March ever recorded globally according to NOAA.

Not according to the satellite data - not even close. Both the UAH and the RSS data show it a long way off the warmest.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/climatechange/march-2015-global-satellite-me/45194068
    Oh yeah - let's ignore what highly calibrated thermometers at ground level are telling us and point to machines testing colder parts of the upper atmosphere because some cherry picked data (for the moment) confomrs to our prejudices!
    Do you not understand how satellites can measure ground and sea temperatures?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

MikeK said:

As I recall: Real Men Don't Eat Quiche; Dave is a quiche eater for sure.

Incidentally your suggestion of burning AGW heretics is quite irresponsible. Too much CO2 produced. They should be burried alive as worm food.
  • Options

kle4.. Then the country will get the geek it deserves..I wish it well.

Racism against Geeks!!!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

DavidL said:

Says it all really

Felt that Ed came across pretty badly in his interview with Evan Davis on a number of things, including the NHS. When is a top-down reorganisation not a top-down reorganisation?
    That interview was actually the first time in a long time I thought he came across pretty badly, he was petulant and evasive. It's weird it seemed he handled Paxman better than Davis, and Cameron did the reverse. My suspicion though is that while I preferred Miliband's super reasonable persona of the debates, for the Davis interview he deliberately tried to be more passionate and argumentative because less undecideds and more of his base would be watching.
  • Options

BenM said:

murali_s said:

O/T - AGW

Do you not understand how satellites can measure ground temperatures?
    Doesn't answer why we should ignore ground temperature readings from, er, the ground.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

But how can he tell her to get stuffed? He can't do anything to counter the dastardly, fiendish, underhand plan of the SNP that their MPs would vote for him in a vote of confidence.
    It destroys Labour's argument (Put forward here by Scottish Labour supporter John N, Murphy etc) that a vote for the SNP is a vote for the Tories...

I think it's the funniest aspect of the whole campaign so far: "The SNP are going to help you become PM whether you like it or not!"
    I doubt it. Any Labour supporter who's not a complete idiot will be absolutely terrified on May 8th if Ed does look like becoming PM, even more so if he does so at the beck and call of Nicola.

Politics doesn't end on May 8th. People will be expecting stuff to be, you know, delivered. God only knows what will happen, but it won't be pleasant, that's for sure.
  • Options

MikeK said:

"In Politics, if you want anything said, ask a man; if you want anything done, ask a woman." - MHT, 1965.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

MikeK said:

Incidentally your suggestion of burning AGW heretics is quite irresponsible. Too much CO2 produced. They should be burried alive as worm food.
    No, you still get the Co2 via the worms. Lindow Man is the way to go ...

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Pulpstar said:

Would Dave or Ed be happier with Election Forecast's current forecast:

Con 283
    Lab 269
    SNP 47
    LD 26
    DUP 8
    PC 4
    SDLP 3
    UKIP 1
    Greens 1
    Speaker 1

Given Lab plus SNP is not a majority, Cameron. There is fundamentally a status quo bias, as the queen has supposedly made clear (don't come to me until you can propose a government).

• Options
    edited April 2015
    LD losses to Labour according to Election forecast.

Bradford East
    Brent Central
    Manchester, Withington
    Norwich South
    Redcar
    Burnley
    Cardiff Central
    Hornsey and Wood Green
    Leeds North West
    Bristol West

Orkney is the 1 LD Hold against SNP

Con losses to Lab.

5 London
    8 NW
    3 East
    2 Yorkshire Humber
    3 West Mids
    2 SW
    2 SE
    6 East Mids

Notable CON Holds according to their model:

Pudsey, Brighton Kemptown, Thurrock (They have a caveat on UKIP modelling mind), Stockton South, DCT, Rossendale and Darwen.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, a real man watches F1 and reads fantasy and classical history. It is known.

Local news: got a large (one of those faux newspaper things) piece of electoral literature from the Greens today. Surprised, given this should be a hotly contested Lab-Con battle. Greens putting in some effort may cost Balls a little.
  • Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

murali_s said:

O/T - AGW

Do you not understand how satellites can measure ground temperatures?
    Doesn't answer why we should ignore ground temperature readings from, er, the ground.
    Ah yes, all the well documented cases of weather stations in tarmac surfaced car parks, and next to air conditioning units.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

I doubt it. Any Labour supporter who's not a complete idiot will be absolutely terrified on May 8th if Ed does look like becoming PM, even more so if he does so at the beck and call of Nicola.

Politics doesn't end on May 8th. People will be expecting stuff to be, you know, delivered. God only knows what will happen, but it won't be pleasant, that's for sure.
    Look, if Ed is PM on 8th May I will be cheering very loudly at the demise of Cameron, Osborne and the post crash Tory junta that has done and is doing so much damage to the country.

If Cameron is PM then I will be properly terrified. Then it really will be 1992 all over again - we'd be months away from a post Tory election victory, Osborne inspired, economic crash.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, a real man watches F1 and reads fantasy and classical history. It is known.

Local news: got a large (one of those faux newspaper things) piece of electoral literature from the Greens today. Surprised, given this should be a hotly contested Lab-Con battle. Greens putting in some effort may cost Balls a little.

Well, I get two of the three. Can I squeak in if it is pre-twentieth century history? Or does that make me a real man who is afraid of mice?
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    kingbongo said:

Tabman said:

Neil said:

Tabman said:

Grandiose said:

Tabman said:

Anybody have any PB wisdom to dispense on Oxford East? Will voter registration have an effect? I'm assuming a Labour win of 5-8000.

Is it the margin of victory you're after? Or are you contemplating the odds on a n other party?
    I'm also thinking of doing my bit to hasten the end of one of Ed's footsoldiers, and I'm wondering how much a waste of effort it will be :)
    There must be many more worthwhile constituencies for a Lib Dem activist to put some effort into. They have zero chance of winning here.
    Its more fun fighting the left.

I see there's a Green, Socialist, TUSC and UKIP vote to fracture the Labour core.

I live in Oxford East too! would love to think the LD could take it but it's not going to happen - I did get a leaflet though from the Socialist Party of GB - which is more than I've had from the Lib Dems - nothing nada zilch
    Labour will romp home in Oxford East. Lib Dems will be lucky to come third, and all their remaining activists are in Oxford West. The local and long-standing Labour MP hoovers up votes from across the political spectrum. He's off the campaign trail because of a sad personal situation but if anything that (widely reported locally) will get him more votes than knocking on a few more doors. I'm sure he'd rather not have the votes or the situation, but there we are.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

I've coached a few hard-as-nails young rugby players this past few years who use sun-beds, wear moisturiser and ear-rings and drink green tea.

Back in my day - and I'm only 37 - the hardest players in the side would be sat in the changing rooms naked, with DIY tattoos, handle-bar moustaches and smoking a pre-game fag.

It's bonkers how much times have changed.
  • Options

MikeK said:

I'm not sure I suggested burning anyone, or would: not even the madder segments of Kippers.

It might be a good idea though. ;-)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MikeK said:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/571894/British-squash-champion-husband-refused-UK-visa

'Romanians can bring family to UK but I CAN'T' Brit squash champ fuming after visa refusal

A FORMER British squash champion is fuming after being told she CAN'T bring her family back home to the UK after her Australian husband was refused a visa.

There is a fairly easy get around. They need to live for 3 months in another EU country to establish residents, then both can enter as EU residents. It worked for one of my Australian Doctors married to an EU citizen.
  • Options
    Are Geeks a race..who'd a thunk it..
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

MikeK said:

Norman tebbit lives in norman tebbit's own little world, surrounded by other norman tebbit-type people who think norman tebbit-like thoughts.

The problem, at least for norman tebbit, is that his world no longer exists.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

DavidL said:

Says it all really

Back in the early 90's I had a boss who always quoted an American business Guru who stated that if you ever wanted to change anything in an organisation you first have to fire a minimum of 50% of the existing management.

Brutal but how true I am not sure

( sorry cannot remember the name of the Guru)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    MikeK said:

Gains

Edinburgh North and Leith 4482
    East Devon 3.363
    Wellingborough 3.092
    Tonbridge and Malling 2.472
    Wantage 2.145
    Edinburgh South 2111
    Glasgow South 2052
    Northampton South 1.935
    Ashfield 1.858
    Glasgow East 1803
    North Cornwall 1.746
    Bognor Regis and Littlehampton 1.742
    Hendon 1.715
    Shrewsbury and Atcham 1.712
    Edinburgh West 1665
    Mansfield 1.610
    Ludlow 1.575
    Taunton Deane 1.516
    Glasgow South West 1500
    Foyle 1.457

Suzanne Evans is the UKIP candidate for Shrewsbury and Atcham.

I thought it was a no-hoper, but she is a great candidate.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/shrewsburyandatcham/
    What a mush of a polling report. Not even a photo of Suzanne Evans who is now well known, or any other candidate except the giant. Phoowee!!
    Anecdote. Was talking to a Shropshire visitor to Torbay on Saturday. He said that he - and a good number of his friends - had toyed with going UKIP, but were all now firmly back in the blue camp. FWIW.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Says it all really

That interview was actually the first time in a long time I thought he came across pretty badly, he was petulant and evasive. It's weird it seemed he handled Paxman better than Davis, and Cameron did the reverse. My suspicion though is that while I preferred Miliband's super reasonable persona of the debates, for the Davis interview he deliberately tried to be more passionate and argumentative because less undecideds and more of his base would be watching.
    I thought Tinsel-T1ts gave him an easy ride compared to Clegg and Cameron.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    BenM said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Look, if Ed is PM on 8th May I will be cheering very loudly at the demise of Cameron, Osborne and the post crash Tory junta that has done and is doing so much damage to the country.

If Cameron is PM then I will be properly terrified. Then it really will be 1992 all over again - we'd be months away from a post Tory election victory, Osborne inspired, economic crash.
    If Ed Miliband were to win, what do you expect him to do to avert the impending Osborne inspired economic crash?
  • Options
    NEW THREAD DAMMIT :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    BenM said:

murali_s said:

O/T - AGW

Where to start, Ben?

Not "let's ignore" some of the evidence, but let's consider all of it.

Highly calibrated - you think people go to the trouble of launching instruments on satellites without having at least a stab at calibrating them?

colder parts of the upper atmosphere - you do realise they are taking a series of measurements and measuring changes in coldness? Not just saying "AGW? it's bloody freezing up there, mate, don't know what you're on about"?

I hope that either you understand politics better than this stuff, or you don't bet on politics.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

I wonder what will happen to the SNP if they don't end up in coalition or in some sort of arrangement with Labour. Some of their younger MPs might get fed up sitting on the opposition benches doing nothing very much, except rubbing shoulders with Labour MPs who detest them. We could have a few by-elections after a couple of years.

You are joking , only ones that ever leave Westminster are either dying , caught at it , or senile. Once they get at the trough they cannot be dragged away ,, sure the SNP will be no different. Especially if young , free subsidised booze and food , easy hours , only need to run up and vote when the bell rings and pots and pots of free money with 5 years salary straight into your bank account minimum.
    Hey, Mr. G., glad you are still around. Following your post on the last thread I read up on Full Fiscal Responsibility. It is it would seem the same as Full Fiscal Autonomy but with a cuddlier name. Most importantly it still falls over on fiscal transfers and debt. Independence is still the way to go, accept no substitutes.
    Hurst , yes it is indeed , looks like they are taking the cuddly route nowadays, going to sort out the UK deficiencies and then gradual move to FFR.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Is that why the Tories are borrowing £2B a week then.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

OllyT said:

But will be involved big time
  • Options
    MikeK said:

City A.M. ‏@CityAM 22m22 minutes ago
    Paddy Ashdown uses the b-word seven times in four minutes http://dlvr.it/9V0jn6

...and guess who he's calling bastards. tee - hee ;)
    I think he's gone a bit senile.

Ah tee hee. Some of those labelled as bar stewards became kippers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He is delusional about the power of the State to do good; he is naïve about how regulation and bureaucracy can make things better; he leaps onto band wagons with almost no thought at all as to the consequences but left wing? I don't really see it.

In the past we had left wing politicians in this country. They had principles, beliefs and a vision of a future society which delusional or not they were clear that they had to work towards. I disagreed with their vision but I don't see anything like that kind of profound thinking on either side of the divide in the managerial era we now live in. Agree with them or not calling Ed left wing is frankly an insult to their memory and beliefs. He is an unconvincing managerial wannabe. He could still do a lot of damage though.

Even Hillary Clinton's rhetoric in her campaign so far has in some ways been more left-wing than anything Ed's said

http://uk.businessinsider.com/report-hillary-clinton-called-for-toppling-the-1-2015-4?r=US -- Hillary called for 'toppling' of top 1%
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Even Hillary Clinton's rhetoric in her campaign so far has in some ways been more left-wing than anything Ed's said

http://uk.businessinsider.com/report-hillary-clinton-called-for-toppling-the-1-2015-4?r=US -- Hillary called for 'toppling' of top 1%
This discussion has been closed.