Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After six weeks of CON leads or them level-pegging today Lo

Comments

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Ishmael_X said:

GIN1138 said:

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories tied: CON 32%, LAB 32%, LD 6%, UKIP 16%, GRN 8%

1. Con Lead

2. Lab Lead

1. Tie

It's still neck and neck basically isn't it?

#megapollingmonday
    1. Con Lead

2. Tie

If you discount the comedy pollster. Surely everyone was laughing at Ashcroft even before the Great Retraction?
    I take it Populus must be in your blind spot.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2015

Ed Balls and 11 other members of the shadow cabinet claimed expenses for cleaning, gardening or odd jobs without submitting receipts,

Mr Balls claimed £1,610 for cleaners and his wife Yvette Cooper claimed £2,640 for cleaning and gardening, out of a total of £37,881 claimed by the 12 Labour MPs.

...A spokesman for Mr Balls on Monday defended his cleaning claims, saying: “Ed’s cleaner was and continues to be employed on PAYE and paid by bank transfer. These claims were made fully in accordance with the Fees Office rules.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11416788/Ed-Balls-among-12-shadow-cabinet-members-who-claimed-expenses-without-receipts.html

Story or not, this is from 2006....I think more interesting is Eddie's and Yvette expenses that only got a very cursory glance from a friendly journo 5 years ago.

Troughing MPs should be playing by the same rules as those they claim to represent.

No paper proof. No payment.

The Cooper Balls house flipping shenanigans warrant a very special and in-depth investigation.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Even if they hadn't lost a wicket, Scotland are only on course for 130-140.
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories tied: CON 32%, LAB 32%, LD 6%, UKIP 16%, GRN 8%

I assume Cameron has a strategy to win over a third of those Kippers over the next 90 days to get the votes he needs to see him over the line.
    With ICM he is already there.

I'm wondering with the shenanigans in the Hellenic part of the world, the EU will ask the UK to contribute to a bail out.

Which Cameron will veto, so we get Vetogasm II.

We all remembered what happened with the polling during Vetogasm.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Weren't Cooper Balls expenses some of the highest possible "under the rules at the time" ??
  • Options

So averaging today's polls, the Tories are ahead.

Only 0.75%
  • Options
    An apt resolution for the Channel 4 issue would be to sell them to News International for a reasonable price!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,290
    Flightpath yes, when I was at Warwick I used to use the rifle range just by the Jaguar Factory, the university is in the suburban outskirts of Coventry on the way to Leamington
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    Ishmael_X said:

GIN1138 said:

1. Con Lead

2. Lab Lead

1. Tie

#megapollingmonday
    1. Con Lead

2. Tie

If you discount the comedy pollster. Surely everyone was laughing at Ashcroft even before the Great Retraction?
    If you discount the Good Lord Amen that leaves us with:

1. Lab Lead

1. Con Lead

1. Tie

So still looks neck and neck...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2015
    I wonder how Gordo's cleaner is getting on these days. At the rate they were being paid for seemingly doing very little, probably retired to the Algarve living in a mega mansion, having other people do the cleaning for them. Nobody has ever seen them though, the locals call them "sr e sra invisível"
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Lord Ashcroft the outlier.

The other pollsters aren't whining at the coverage of other pollsters.

Great Sun front cover.
  • Options

Roger said:

I think it's quaint that posters are still picking over the bones of the ICM poll so long after the dogs barked and the caravan moved on (to use an old Arab proverb)

I think it's hilarious that a bunch of Lefties who have spent the last few days frothing at the mouth over beastly Tory tax avoiders are now resting their hopes on a poll carried out by Lord Ashcroft.
    Really that would be very silly.

My view is LARGER will be the least accurate polls (Angus Reed of 2015) and are pretty worthless.
    Irony not your strongpoint?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Roger said:

I think it's quaint that posters are still picking over the bones of the ICM poll so long after the dogs barked and the caravan moved on (to use an old Arab proverb)

I think it's hilarious that a bunch of Lefties who have spent the last few days frothing at the mouth over beastly Tory tax avoiders are now resting their hopes on a poll carried out by Lord Ashcroft.

My view is LARGER will be the least accurate polls (Angus Reed of 2015) and are pretty worthless.
    That is a pity for Labour, as his marginal polls are the ones that give Labour most hope (in part by LibDem surviving against Tory and Labour outperforming UNS in Tory Labour marginals).
  • Options
    Dair said:

Better teams than Scotland might be 22/4 here - late swing and a top quality new-ball attack.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,557

Cyclefree said:

Grandiose said:

Wow... I didn't realise that the bankers' bonus tax was a one off, that Balls has now announced that they'll repeat just once.

How much are they planning to tax them to pay for all this stuff in just two years? How much is paid to bankers in bonuses each year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KeIvRNsARs

snip

I am kinda of skeptical full stop how effective anything like that is. High net worth criminals already do it on a massive scale and the whole proceeds of crime act really only manages to get money back of morons.
    snip.
    I answered this on a previous thread. Most bonuses above a certain level are paid in shares which don't vest i.e. belong to the employee for a period. At any point during that period, if the employee leaves or misbehaves those shares can be forfeited. In theory you could make the period 10 years. Though, usually, vesting is on a rolling basis e.g. if over 5 years you get 20% in year 1, the next 20% in year 2 and so on.

Of course if the bonus doesn't get paid it can't be taxed so that's your bonus tax fecked right there.
    I am sure Labour have thought all this through fully and it wasn't written on the back of a fag packet like todays announcements.

I had to laugh at Miliband giving the massive build up, we are going to totally change the whole economy, completely revamp the relationship of business and the employee, and here is the grand plan....Actually listening to the build up, I thought he was going to go nuclear and propose something major like maximum wages, x% of board must be front line workers, x% of profits must go to the workers in a mutual fund etc...nope some more apprenticeships...maybe...
    What is really pathetic is that
    1 --- the Tories have a perfectly acceptable policy which is increasing apprenticeships and
    2 --- Miliband was speaking at Jaguar Land Rover which has a long association with Warwick University (which is in Coventry I think!) and has IIRC just announced it was funding a new set of university engineering places, all without Mr Miliband's help.
    http://www.jaguarlandrover.com/gl/en/responsible-business/social-responsibility/advancing-knowledge/partnerships-with-universities/
    What is really pathetic is that speech was billed as demonstrating that Labour was not anti business and all he can come up with is more government interference, regulation and cost. Not since Michael Foot has Labour seemed so utterly indifferent as to how this country makes its money.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Cyclefree said:

Have you been anywhere interesting?

(Edited: sorry if it's private do tell me to mind my own business. But you often seem to travel to interesting places for work hence my question.)

Yes, Mauritius - see

http://www.lemauricien.com/article/macaques-exportation-danimaux-equipe-la-buav-rencontre-ministre-dayal

- they are a major primate exporter for this sort of thing

http://www.buav.org/undercover-investigations/a-living-nightmare

and have just changed government, so I went over to meet the new ministers and see if we could get them to curb the trade. They are open to a dialogue.

The island is interesting - certainly very beautiful and fabulously clear, unpolluted skies. The people were very friendly, if low-key (young people seemed to reckon a good night out is to stand around chatting in a shopping mall, then go home to dinner with their parents), and the island seems largely trilingual (English, French, Creole). On the downside it's clearly still pretty poor - some shiny new skyscrapers but lots of shantytown housing, and a lot of nervousness about the future when their deal to sell sugar at favourable rates to the EU runs out in 2017. It has a high rating for honesty (though the former PM is under investigation for alleged corruption) and business-friendliness, and recently had peaceful elections with a smooth change of party in power.

Francis U - thanks for the apology. No problem, easily done.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Ishmael_X said:

GIN1138 said:

1. Con Lead

2. Lab Lead

1. Tie

#megapollingmonday
    1. Con Lead

2. Tie

If you discount the Good Lord Amen that leaves us with:

1. Lab Lead

1. Con Lead

1. Tie

So still looks neck and neck...
    Yup, that's where we are, neck and neck between them.

There's probably only two things that can alter the VI between now and May 7th.

The budget and the campaign.

The largest and sustained change in voting was the 2012 Budget.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

Roger said:

Irony not your strongpoint?
    Ironing is my strongpoint
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Ed Balls and 11 other members of the shadow cabinet claimed expenses for cleaning, gardening or odd jobs without submitting receipts,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11416788/Ed-Balls-among-12-shadow-cabinet-members-who-claimed-expenses-without-receipts.html

Story or not, this is from 2006....I think more interesting is Eddie's and Yvette expenses that only got a very cursory glance from a friendly journo 5 years ago.

The Telegraph gave Balls a soft ride? No surprise there.
  • Options
    I notice JackW hasn't posted on here much since Fifty Shades Of Grey was released at the flicks...

#justsaying
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited February 2015
    DavidL said:

What is really pathetic is that speech was billed as demonstrating that Labour was not anti business and all he can come up with is more government interference, regulation and cost. Not since Michael Foot has Labour seemed so utterly indifferent as to how this country makes its money.

I hear that his advisors wanted him to do a photo op with a mobile sandwich van outside, but they didn't give receipts and left rather sharpishly when he started to lecture them on how they were probably a tax dodger. :-)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I notice JackW hasn't posted on here much since Fifty Shades Of Grey was released at the flicks...

#justsaying

Does anyone know how it finishes? I got asked to leave half-way through
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

GIN1138 said:

1. Con Lead

2. Lab Lead

1. Tie

#megapollingmonday
    1. Con Lead

2. Tie

Lord Ashcroft's polling is very, very highly regarded by the powers that be at PB.com, evidenced by the fact that the findings receive more coverage and analysis than those of any other pollster.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Have you been anywhere interesting?

(Edited: sorry if it's private do tell me to mind my own business. But you often seem to travel to interesting places for work hence my question.)

Yes, Mauritius - see

http://www.lemauricien.com/article/macaques-exportation-danimaux-equipe-la-buav-rencontre-ministre-dayal

- they are a major primate exporter for this sort of thing

http://www.buav.org/undercover-investigations/a-living-nightmare

and have just changed government, so I went over to meet the new ministers and see if we could get them to curb the trade. They are open to a dialogue.

The island is interesting - certainly very beautiful and fabulously clear, unpolluted skies. The people were very friendly, if low-key (young people seemed to reckon a good night out is to stand around chatting in a shopping mall, then go home to dinner with their parents), and the island seems largely trilingual (English, French, Creole). On the downside it's clearly still pretty poor - some shiny new skyscrapers but lots of shantytown housing, and a lot of nervousness about the future when their deal to sell sugar at favourable rates to the EU runs out in 2017. It has a high rating for honesty (though the former PM is under investigation for alleged corruption) and business-friendliness, and recently had peaceful elections with a smooth change of party in power.

Francis U - thanks for the apology. No problem, easily done.
    Out of interest Nick was the trip self funded?
  • Options
    That is amusing. But is it a tad too juvenile?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    More on Hillary's chances in 2016. A good read for any political modeling junkie, and for those of you who are betting:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/predictive-intelligence-20150213
  • Options

Remember when all the bad publicity wouldn't hurt UKIPs polling ?

Give it a month for this to start grinding Ed down.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Ishmael_X said:

GIN1138 said:

1. Con Lead

2. Lab Lead

1. Tie

#megapollingmonday
    1. Con Lead

2. Tie

Lord Ashcroft's polling is very, very highly regarded by the powers that be at PB.com, evidenced by the fact that the findings receive more coverage and analysis than those of any other pollster.
    Doesn't mean it's any good though?

PB was quite closely associated with Angus Reid back in the day, as I'm sure you remember... ;)

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    The Sun says that ICM has Con 6% ahead of Lab.

But I thought ICM was 36/32?

Any explanation?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

No Tissue allowed?
  • Options

Nah,it will be a disaster for Ed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Roger said:

Luckily I'm not one of the frothing ones so I am looking at 21 out of the last 28 showing Labour in the lead.
    All that matters is eve of poll. If Labour are behind in those, it won't matter how often they were ahead in the past.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

It is the worst film ever, and I'm someone who has watched every Twilight film.
  • Options
    Well done to (ancien) Nick and his work to protect animals.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Remember when all the bad publicity wouldn't hurt UKIPs polling ?

Give it a month for this to start grinding Ed down.
    Oh I'm sure it will, but isn't pity a better play than mockery? Still, time for that later I guess.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @MikeL
    Journalists too drunk to count? :)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,557

DavidL said:

I hear that his advisors wanted him to do a photo op with a mobile sandwich van outside, but they didn't give receipts and left rather sharpishly when he started to lecture them on how they were probably a tax dodger. :-)
    You're sure it wasn't a whelk stall?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Any explanation?

Yup. It's The Sun
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited February 2015
    Tut, Tut, Tut the people Channel 4 mix with:

Director of UKIP Smear ‘Mockumentary’ In Court For Tax Fraud

The director of a controversial spoof documentary on Nigel Farage and UKIP will be appearing in Southwark Crown Court on Friday of this week, charged with cheating the public revenue.

Chris Atkins, a journalist and film-maker who gave evidence to the Leveson Inquiry, is accused of perpetrating a £2.5 million tax fraud plot along with twelve others. The Crown Prosecution Service say he was involved in a complex five-year scam to cheat the taxman, including seven investment bankers, the Ham and High reported at the time.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/02/16/exclusive-director-of-ukip-smear-mockumentary-in-court-for-tax-fraud/

I trust Ed Miliband will be very very angry about this!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

Even worse than Titanic?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    TimT I have always believed it will be very close, but I think it will be a Clinton v Christie battle which Clinton will eke out by about 1%, shades of Nixon v Humphrey in 1968 when Nixon was also running his second presidential election campaign 8 years after he narrowly lost his first
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

Better teams than Scotland might be 22/4 here - late swing and a top quality new-ball attack.
    Perhaps but there are fundamental problems with Scottish cricket. It has gone backwards since independence in 1992. The contrast with Ireland, which as far as I understand has had a lot less investment, is quite marked.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

And suggests that Labour may possibly have been hurt as much by the row over tax avoidance as the Tories. The public don't consider that either party has clean hands.
    It honestly doesn't look like they Tories have been hurt at all by it, they have remained on about 31-33, it's Labour who have taken all of the damage.
    The default assumption is that Conservatives are rich and sleezy albeit good at making money whilst Labour are poor but honest albeit crap at making money.

So things that have negative effects are the Conservatives being shown to be crap at making money and Labour being shown to be rich and sleezy.
  • Options
    @petercardwell: The Mail has an exclusive interview with @edballsmp and @YvetteCooperMP's window cleaner on page 6 tomorrow.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

@petercardwell: The Mail has an exclusive interview with @edballsmp and @YvetteCooperMP's window cleaner on page 6 tomorrow.

Scooptastic
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

And suggests that Labour may possibly have been hurt as much by the row over tax avoidance as the Tories. The public don't consider that either party has clean hands.
    It honestly doesn't look like they Tories have been hurt at all by it, they have remained on about 31-33, it's Labour who have taken all of the damage.
    The default assumption is that Conservatives are rich and sleezy albeit good at making money whilst Labour are poor but honest albeit crap at making money.

So things that have negative effects are the Conservatives being shown to be crap at making money and Labour being shown to be rich and sleezy.
    Which is why this government should have brought in a maximum earnings limit for the public sector.

Having Labour support public sector fatcats would have been damaging for its image.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

We are not far off journos rooting through MP's bins. The tit for tat amongst the papers will be something to behold.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

We are not far off journos rooting through MP's bins. The tit for tat amongst the papers will be something to behold.
    You think journos don't rake through bins now?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2015
    HYUFD said:

TimT I have always believed it will be very close, but I think it will be a Clinton v Christie battle which Clinton will eke out by about 1%, shades of Nixon v Humphrey in 1968 when Nixon was also running his second presidential election campaign 8 years after he narrowly lost his first

?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/christie-faces-growing-doubts-within-gop-about-his-2016-campaign-n305406

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/atlantic-city-meltdown-chris-christie-115204.html

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/poll-chris-christie-approval-ratings-115173.html

Not to mention polls which show Christie doing badly in all early states and nationwide.
    Currently there is a much much larger chance of Christie ending in jail than getting the GOP nomination.

As for Hillary, it's either a landslide victory for her like 1996 or 1988, no one is going to beat her next year.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Of course they do, but they will be showing you pictures of them doing it soon.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    edited February 2015

I assume Cameron has a strategy to win over a third of those Kippers over the next 90 days to get the votes he needs to see him over the line.

I'm wondering with the shenanigans in the Hellenic part of the world, the EU will ask the UK to contribute to a bail out.

To be honest, he could do worse than use his super-duper voter software to find out the UKIP defectors, and groups of voters that might have defected from Conservative to UKIP and personally email them - or better still, write a letter:

"Dear <<UKIP supporter>>, I understand that you might have felt let down by me as your Prime Minister over the last 5 years. I also recognise that perhaps you might not always feel like you've been treated with respect you deserve by myself, or members of my team, at times.

If that is so, let me start with an apology: I'm sorry. I recognise that we haven't always got it right. I also realise that you might once have been a loyal Conservative supporter, who supported the party through thick and thin. If that is so, I'd like to appeal to you today and ask if you'd please consider giving me 3 minutes of your time. Because I think a re-elected Conservative government would have a lot to offer you.

> Immigration (explain progress, apologise for cap not being reached, explain additional measures and explain how Tory government will still fight for more)
    > Europe (set out red-lines and concrete proposals for renegotiation
    > Defence (maintain 2% GDP NATO target)
    > Family (expand on further support in tax system during next parliament)
    > English votes for English laws (explain initiatives and make pledges)
    > Fighting for Conservative values (go for the heart; explain how a Conservative PM will fight for Conservative principles and lead the public debate)

>Contrast all above policies with labour. Explain what will *not* be negotiated away in a coalition, this time.

>End the letter respectfully, do not ask for money or donations.

Yours Sincerely,

David Cameron"

Keep up the civil and cordial contact until election day. And beyond.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

Even worse than Titanic?
    Titanic had the redeeming feature of Kate Winslet in it
  • Options

TGOHF said:

The mirror a few years ago went through Cameron's bins.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Should have stuck to the real world outcomes, the real impact of 5 million lay offs, the financial sector leaving London, UDI from Scotland being entirely justified by a UDBrexit, massive inflation and currency devaluation.

You mean all the things we were told would happen if the UK left the ERM ?

And all those things we were told would happen if the UK didn't join the Euro ?

• Options

TGOHF said:

The mirror a few years ago went through Cameron's bins.
    Damn the leftards.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

Even worse than Titanic?
    Didn't save it for me... Terrible film. Possibly the worst film ever and certainly worst film to have won Oscars IMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

TGOHF said:

Probably in The Mirror.

As Top Phone Hackers, they're likely to be the best at Bin Foraging too.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Probably in The Mirror. As Top Phone Hackers, they're probably the best at bin hunting too.
    Damn the leftards again.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

TGOHF said:

Probably in The Mirror. As Top Phone Hackers, they're probably the best at bin hunting too.
    Damn the leftards again.
    Is leftard another word for 'scumbag journalist'?
  • Options

No - it's my job for a global NGO, and we're funded by donations from people who like animals. I've been in about 20 countries over the last few years, talking to Ministers and companies to try to whittle away animal testing - the EU ban on testing cosmetics with painful experiments on rabbits in 2013 was partly our doing, as is the forthcoming legislation in Brazil. We're expected to be restrained in spending (travel tourist class, stay in cheapish hotels, etc.) but I couldn't afford to do it self-funded.

• Options
    Journo to MP: "Where's ya bin?".
    MP to journo: "I've bin to the House of Commons."
    Journo: "No. where's ya wheely Bin?"
    MP: "I've wheely bin to the House of Commons".
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.
    Is leftard another word for 'scumbag journalist'?
    Leftward? Is that like forward, but with left leanings?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.
    Leftard. Is that a portmanteau of lefty and bastard or something else? Seems too close to retard to be acceptable IMO
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2015

Mauritius

Amazing blend of Africa, Asia, France and England.

You can feel like you're in the Caribbean, then like you're in Kent, in the space of an hour.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.
    Leftard. Is that a portmanteau of lefty and bastard or something else? Seems too close to retard to be acceptable IMO
    It is actually what some people on here have called left wing posters.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Ed Balls window cleaner will stay stchum. He won't want Ed Miliband trawling over his books to see if he saved a few quid ahem...(avoided tax)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.
    Who? I only ask as I've only seen you use it.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

No - it's my job for a global NGO, and we're funded by donations from people who like animals. I've been in about 20 countries over the last few years, talking to Ministers and companies to try to whittle away animal testing - the EU ban on testing cosmetics with painful experiments on rabbits in 2013 was partly our doing, as is the forthcoming legislation in Brazil. We're expected to be restrained in spending (travel tourist class, stay in cheapish hotels, etc.) but I couldn't afford to do it self-funded.

Flying to 20 countries! What about the polar bears?

Just teasing, I actually, genuinely, appreciate the work you do for animal welfare.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/christie-faces-growing-doubts-within-gop-about-his-2016-campaign-n305406

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/atlantic-city-meltdown-chris-christie-115204.html

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/poll-chris-christie-approval-ratings-115173.html

Not to mention polls which show Christie doing badly in all early states and nationwide.
    Currently there is a much much larger chance of Christie ending in jail than getting the GOP nomination.

As for Hillary, it's either a landslide victory for her like 1996 or 1988, no one is going to beat her next year.
    The US is so evenly divided along partisan lines now, that I doubt if anyone will get a landslide, save in exceptional circumstances.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Roger said:

Luckily I'm not one of the frothing ones so I am looking at 21 out of the last 28 showing Labour in the lead.
    Those 21 though are just SO last year....
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.
    It's a bit like 'Hodges'. No one else ever bothers referring to him.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.

TGOHF said:

Damn the leftards again.
    It's a bit like 'Hodges'. No one else ever bothers referring to him.
    Thought so. Those PB Tories and Hodges eh? What cards... Real characters.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@ HYUFD: Think the Christie bubble has well and truly burst (thoughts of Mr Creosote - need mental bleach). As I said upthread, I think there will effectively be a two-tiered GOP primary: Bush vs Rubio followed by winner vs Walker.

@ Speedy "no one is going to beat her next year". I admire your confidence. She may win (I don't think she will), but it will not be a landslide.
  • Options

To be honest, he could do worse than use his super-duper voter software to find out the UKIP defectors, and groups of voters that might have defected from Conservative to UKIP and personally email them - or better still, write a letter:

"Dear <<UKIP supporter>>, I understand that you might have felt let down by me as your Prime Minister over the last 5 years. I also recognise that perhaps you might not always feel like you've been treated with respect you deserve by myself, or members of my team, at times.

If that is so, let me start with an apology: I'm sorry. I recognise that we haven't always got it right. I also realise that you might once have been a loyal Conservative supporter, who supported the party through thick and thin. If that is so, I'd like to appeal to you today and ask if you'd please consider giving me 3 minutes of your time. Because I think a re-elected Conservative government would have a lot to offer you.

> Immigration (explain progress, apologise for cap not being reached, explain additional measures and explain how Tory government will still fight for more)
    > Europe (set out red-lines and concrete proposals for renegotiation
    > Defence (maintain 2% GDP NATO target)
    > Family (expand on further support in tax system during next parliament)
    > English votes for English laws (explain initiatives and make pledges)
    > Fighting for Conservative values (go for the heart; explain how a Conservative PM will fight for Conservative principles and lead the public debate)

>Contrast all above policies with labour. Explain what will *not* be negotiated away in a coalition, this time.

>End the letter respectfully, do not ask for money or donations.

Yours Sincerely,

David Cameron"

Keep up the civil and cordial contact until election day. And beyond.
    Good idea, I need some more paper for the fire!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    edited February 2015
    MikeL said:

Any explanation?

mixed up with Con increase of 6%?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

@ HYUFD: Think the Christie bubble has well and truly burst (thoughts of Mr Creosote - need mental bleach). As I said upthread, I think there will effectively be a two-tiered GOP primary: Bush vs Rubio followed by winner vs Walker.

@ Speedy "no one is going to beat her next year". I admire your confidence. She may win (I don't think she will), but it will not be a landslide.
    Interesting times.

Who will deal with a post Putin Russia. Assume he get cancer or is under a bus. Whatever follows is likely to be worse.

How will USA cope with Russia and China working in harmony to rid the globe of the Americanisation that they resent from the last 60 years?
  • Options

Roger said:

SO this month and last month actually.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

I'm pretty sure he said previously it was related to his day job; not being an mp he has to work for a living like anyone else
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

?

The US is so evenly divided along partisan lines now, that I doubt if anyone will get a landslide, save in exceptional circumstances.
    Snap!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fifty_shades_of_grey/
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Speedy SeanF Wrong on both counts. Jeb Bush in the end won't run as he will not be certain of beating Hillary and he will not want to damage the brand for his son George P, the Bushes real presidential hopeful, leaving the way clear for Christie to be the establishment choice and win New Hampshire.

In the general election after 8 years of the Democrats it will be no landslide, and Obama is no Reagan for Clinton to latch onto as Bush Snr did in 1988. Nixon saw his poll lead gradually eroded in 1968 until polling day, indeed reporters quipped that if there had been another week Humphrey would have won, to which Nixon responded 'I knew when the election was!'

Like 1968 which saw Wallace running and getting a significant voteshare, 2016 is ripe for a third party candidate, maybe Trump as well as a Green candidate to Hillary's left, Sanders?
  • Options
    Lab most seats lead narrows with these

http://electionforecast.co.uk/
  • Options

Roger said:

And about 20 of them were statistical ties......
  • Options

Lab most seats lead narrows with these

http://electionforecast.co.uk/

They won't be able to afford as many criminal convictions as they had in this parliament.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    "Those 21 though are just SO last year...."

....Do you remember that ICM poll in 2014 or was it '15. The one that had the Tories on 37 or was it 36....I think it was 37 and Labour were trailing on 31? ..... I remember it like yesterday. Dave or was it George Cameron was leader and it looked like he was going to win. ICM was the Gold Standard then you know. Unravelled pretty fast after that but it was a glorious few days. Heads held high chests out...we talked about little else right up to the election three months later..........Sorry where did I leave my slippers
  • Options
    And about 20 of them were statistical ties.....

That would all result in EICIPM
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Mauritius

You can feel like you're in the Caribbean, then like you're in Kent, in the space of an hour.
    Amazing island off the coast of Africa in the Indian Ocean; former French Colony captured by the British.
    :-)
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Mauritius

Yes, what a good description. Singapore is a bit like that too, I thought - partly very much in Asia, partly in a time warp of England ca. 1955.

Thanks, Sadddened. I think I got the job back in 2011 partly because animal welfare people are seen to be a bit fringey, and a former MP and pharma executive is mainstream (dull) enough for the most nervous Minister or CEO to be willing to meet. When I was an MP I spent a year chairing a working group between the BUAV, RSPCA and ABPI (pharma industry): we agreed on about 20 points where the animal side felt there could be genuine reductions in suffering and the industry side felt they were only doing the experiments because of outdated legislation. As at that stage nobody had thought about my working for them and I didn't make a public fuss to get votes, the BUAV put it down to my being genuinely interested, and when I was job-hunting that weighed with them too.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

Even worse than Titanic?
    Didn't save it for me... Terrible film. Possibly the worst film ever and certainly worst film to have won Oscars IMO.
    Braveheart was the worst film ever to win the Oscars.

So historically inaccurate.

That said, people at the time, Mel Gibson was the wrong person to play a Scot, but look at him now, an alcoholic racist, he's the perfect person to play a Scot.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

Even worse than Titanic?

That said, people at the time, Mel Gibson was the wrong person to play a Scot, but look at him now, an alcoholic racist, he's the perfect person to play a Scot.
    On behalf of absent friends I have to say

"Turnip"
  • Options
    philiph said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting times.

Who will deal with a post Putin Russia. Assume he get cancer or is under a bus. Whatever follows is likely to be worse.

How will USA cope with Russia and China working in harmony to rid the globe of the Americanisation that they resent from the last 60 years?
    The only saving grace is that it is nigh on impossible to think of China and Russia working in harmony and they will be very unequal partners if they do. China's interests are so different from Putin's now. I only see China picking and choosing moments of cooperation when it suits it, and usually to Russia's disadvantage.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

Even worse than Titanic?

"Worst" as in absurd. But, it was a hugely entertaining film.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

philiph said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting times.

The only saving grace is that it is nigh on impossible to think of China and Russia working in harmony and they will be very unequal partners if they do. China's interests are so different from Putin's now. I only see China picking and choosing moments of cooperation when it suits it, and usually to Russia's disadvantage.
    What was the response of China in the UN to Russia entering Ukraine? For the first time, no condemnation.

They have a galvanising common goal and will work together to achieve it.
  • Options
    TimT Disagree, think it will end up Christie v Paul and Cruz, and Jeb Bush won't even run. The ticket will then be Christie-Rubio against maybe Clinton-Castro
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

Even worse than Titanic?
    Fearures, plural.
    Perhaps we should have a mockudrama where the Titanic missed the iceberg and arrived safely and somebody got off and immediately ran their car over and killed somebody of future importance, thereby changing the course of history.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

Even worse than Titanic?
    Fearures, plural.
    Perhaps we should have a mockudrama where the Titanic missed the iceberg and arrived safely and somebody got off and immediately ran their car over and killed somebody of future importance, thereby changing the course of history.
    Wouldn't that change the course of the future?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited February 2015
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

#justsaying

Terribly.

Even worse than Titanic?

"Worst" as in absurd. But, it was a hugely entertaining film.
    Well you know me, I'm a stickler for historical accuracy.

I remember in an old Empire Magazine, they listed 173 historical inaccuracies in the film.
  • Options
    philiph said:

MTimT said:

philiph said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting times.

What was the response of China in the UN to Russia entering Ukraine? For the first time, no condemnation.

They have a galvanising common goal and will work together to achieve it.
    China's entire history in the UN Security Council since taking the seat from Taiwan has been not to condemn others and to oppose meddling in the internal affairs of other nations (worried about its own human rights record etc...) It is only recently becoming more vocal at the UN, now it has overseas interests and access to raw materials to protect.
  • Options
    I know, I'm the last person to critcise other people's typos, but this one by Alan Rusbridger is a humdinger.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-AMOFVIcAAWIQ4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.