Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After six weeks of CON leads or them level-pegging today Lo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,827
edited February 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After six weeks of CON leads or them level-pegging today Lord Ashcroft poll has LAB 1% ahead

After such a day of polling it is very hard to draw any conclusions. I must say that I was expecting Ashcroft to be in the same ball-back as ICM given they are both phone polls using very similar approaches with fieldwork over the same period.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't there a thread the other day about February polling being predictive of the actual election result.
  • Options
    Tut tut

The Daily Express website has been censured by newspaper watchdog Ipso for publishing what it said was a “significantly distorted” story claiming Ukip was leading Labour in an opinion poll.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/16/daily-express-website-ipso-ukip-story-nigel-farage?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    What goes up must come down
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, but unless you think we're having an electoral system based on quantum mechanics the Conservatives can't be both ahead and behind.
  • Options
    To be fair, all three polls are consistent with it being neck and neck
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Non-MOE movement for the Cons in both the ANP and the ICM, they could both be outliers.
  • Options
    Not buying that if a GE today, Tories and Labour would only get ~30%...but can well believe that is basically neck and neck / small 1% Labour lead.

I think the real question is, can the Tories actually shift significant support their way, either via the budget or the campaign itself..or will Ed "35%"...scratch that "33%"...scratch that "31%" strategy get him over the line?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, but unless you think we're having an electoral system based on quantum mechanics the Conservatives can't be both ahead and behind.

Oh they can, they can be ahead on the popular vote, and behind on seats.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    edited February 2015
    Mr. Eagles, I was referring to the popular vote, clearly. I'm well aware of the handy nature of the electoral dividing lines, although if the SNP perform as well as they might that could significantly diminish the inherent advantage Labour has hitherto enjoyed.

Edited extra bit: apparently Gotham will be returning to Channel 5 fairly soon. No date, though.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    There's a real divide beginning to develop between phone polling and web polling.

Separate the two out and assess the trends and you see very different pictures.
  • Options

[rubs eyes in disbelief] Ashcroft's tables and spiral of silence adjustments actually make sense this week!! :)
  • Options
    For the life of me Mike I can't see how the Ashcroft poll is good for Labour.They are meant to have just had their best week for yonks and they are polling at 31%. ICM may well be an outlier but ICM has a very good reputation and if its anywhere near right then one surely has to conclude that Ed's rants about tax avoidance have fallen rather flat. the Ashcroft polls seem to vary wildly in one direction or the other anyway.
  • Options
    Can I have my ball-back please?

The spread-betting markets are largely unmoved by today's polls. Both Sporting and Spreadex have Labour on a mid spread of 278 seats with the Tories just ahead on 282 & 283 seats respectively.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    chestnut said:

There's a real divide beginning to develop between phone polling and web polling.

chestnut said:

The telephone pollsters have an average Conservative lead of 0.5%.
  • Options

Not buying that if a GE today, Tories and Labour would only get ~30%...but can well believe that is basically neck and neck / small 1% Labour lead.

I think the real question is, can the Tories actually shift significant support their way, either via the budget or the campaign itself..or will Ed "35%"...scratch that "33%"...scratch that "31%" strategy get him over the line?

The three polls so far today have the Conservatives and Labour on 32% each, slightly lower than last week. Perhaps several days of slinging mud at each other has taken its toll on both of them.
  • Options

Wasn't there a thread the other day about February polling being predictive of the actual election result.

Yes - and all the polls predict a Hung Parliament.
  • Options
    peterbuss said:

For the life of me Mike I can't see how the Ashcroft poll is good for Labour.They are meant to have just had their best week for yonks and they are polling at 31%. ICM may well be an outlier but ICM has a very good reputation and if its anywhere near right then one surely has to conclude that Ed's rants about tax avoidance have fallen rather flat. the Ashcroft polls seem to vary wildly in one direction or the other anyway.

That is the real news from the various polls we have had over the past 2-3 days, both indirectly (and directly in one poll), Labour / Guardian / BBC have thrown the kitchen sink at the Tories for 5-6 days straight on an issue that the public say they are outraged about bankers + tax dodging, and the needle has basically remained unmoved.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2015
    Surely what we make of all this is that not much as changed and the two main parties remain very close? Admittedly, in a forced choice one would probably give more credence to ICM than to Ashcroft, but it's not a forced choice: we have other polls which don't seem to be picking up a big move to the Tories.
  • Options

Surely what we make of all this is that not much as changed and the two main parties remain very close? Admittedly, in a forced choice one would probably give more credence to ICM than to Ashcroft, but it's not a forced choice: we have other polls which don't seem to be picking up a big move to the Tories.

That's about how I see it, Richard.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Sean_F said:

The telephone pollsters have an average Conservative lead of 0.5%.

It's getting more and more noticeable that the Tory numbers are touching 34-35-36 on the phone, while Labour's can drop as low as 28 and rarely top 32-33.

The age split is also becoming more common.

Gigantic Labour leads among under 35s on the web.
  • Options
    Conservative voters hate UKIP as much as they hate Labour. Labour voters hate UKIP much more than they hate the Conservatives. And Lib Dem voters are far more hostile to UKIP than either Labour or the Conservatives. Still, I'm sure that UKIP supporters will remain confident that they can get tactical votes aplenty.
  • Options
    The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Sean_F said:

The three polls so far today have the Conservatives and Labour on 32% each, slightly lower than last week. Perhaps several days of slinging mud at each other has taken its toll on both of them.
    The only mud has come from Labour. ICM looks off, but maybe so was it's previous one the other way.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I think LA is in the huff that his poll-y woll-y has been overshadowed by ICM.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,289

peterbuss said:

That is the real news from the various polls we have had over the past 2-3 days, both indirectly (and directly in one poll), Labour / Guardian / BBC have thrown the kitchen sink at the Tories for 5-6 days straight on an issue that the public say they are outraged about bankers + tax dodging, and the needle has basically remained unmoved.
    Lab love unmoved needles
  • Options
    peterbuss said:

But remember, Ashcroft's polling is very, very highly rated by the powers that be on this site.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Conservative voters hate UKIP as much as they hate Labour. Labour voters hate UKIP much more than they hate the Conservatives. And Lib Dem voters are far more hostile to UKIP than either Labour or the Conservatives. Still, I'm sure that UKIP supporters will remain confident that they can get tactical votes aplenty.

People that vote tactically have no principles, the other parties are welcome to them.
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 9m9 minutes ago
    Still easy to see which political journalists are taking dictation from CCHQ #comfortpolling

This a week after he admits previous polls under his banner were a load of rubbish....

• Options

Never noticed you posting on here before, Frp, but if that's your usual standard, please, please keep posting!
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), not sure quite what Lord Ashcroft is getting at, given the ICM poll was commissioned by the Guardian.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Labour voters hate UKIP much more than they hate the Conservatives.

Any evidence for this? Rocherster suggested the opposite - that Labour voters were willing to vote UKIP to give the Tories a bloody nose.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Lord A's fun this week.

With the impending Oscars, he considers who should act as each of the Party leaders.

Mr Clegg = Tom Cruise or Kevin Bacon.

David Cameron = Hugh Grant or Colin Firth

Mr Miliband = Rowan Atkinson, in character as Mr Bean.

Mr Farage = Ray Winstone or Sid James.

• Options
    antifrank said:

They've proved that they can, in a string of by-elections.

• Options

antifrank said:

Labour voters hate UKIP much more than they hate the Conservatives.

Any evidence for this? Rocherster suggested the opposite - that Labour voters were willing to vote UKIP to give the Tories a bloody nose.
    See the table in the header.
  • Options

How can it possibly be predictive with an election that is so complex and really has no precedents. I am still of the opinion that it will be the economy and by May with low inflation, wage increases at 4 times inflation, the spring weather and a feel good factor almost certainly being felt, the Conservatives have a real chance of having the largest votes and seats
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,235
    FPT:

Mr. Zims, Defence was one of the few departments not splurged on by Labour during their misrule. It's been stretched too thin for too long, and we must retain sufficient resources to protect or, if necessary, reclaim British territory overseas.

We should slash Aid, not Defence.

I agree, so why not ditch Trident and spend the money on conventional forces?

I wouldn't want to ditch Trident whilst Russia is playing the aggressive expansionist in eastern Europe atm, nor until we know the strategic position China adopts once it overtakes the USA in global economic clout.
    Let us take your reading of the Russia situation as accurate, and let us say that China wants to invade us into the bargain. There is simply no mechanism by which Trident is capable of warding either of them off. Trident can and will be used only when the US allows it. And frankly anyone who thinks the Americans will enter into a nuclear war to defend good old blighty from invasion needs a catscan. This article (which I post perrenially) needs reading: http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/45658/nonsense-heart-britains-independent-nuclear-defence

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Can they win a seat without a Con defector?
  • Options

Mr. Flashman (deceased), not sure quite what Lord Ashcroft is getting at, given the ICM poll was commissioned by the Guardian.

Sounds like he wants his polls to have the same public standing as ICM.

• Options
    It seems that UKIP's candidates are going to provide a lot of newspaper material in the coming campaign:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/the-dragon-welsh-flag-nothing-8638789
  • Options

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

We'll find out on May 7th,
  • Options

FPT:

Mr. Zims, Defence was one of the few departments not splurged on by Labour during their misrule. It's been stretched too thin for too long, and we must retain sufficient resources to protect or, if necessary, reclaim British territory overseas.

I wouldn't want to ditch Trident whilst Russia is playing the aggressive expansionist in eastern Europe atm, nor until we know the strategic position China adopts once it overtakes the USA in global economic clout.
    Trident can and will be used only when the US allows it.
    How, exactly, can they do that?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited February 2015
    antifrank said:

You're saying the votes UKIP have got in the last two years by elections and Euros are solid kipper and not protest? Nice!

I was worried they might be flaky

There was polling at the weekend that backed that up actually I think
  • Options

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Price it up?! I fancy a bet

What odds are you offering?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Lucky Guy..Having spent some time on a Trident submarine I can assure you that is not the case.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

ComRes found lots of pro-UKIP voters in other parties support.

"UKIP has some good ideas about how to run the country"
    Agree: Con 46%, Lab 33%, LD 44%.

p.75
    http://comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/SM-IoS-Political-Poll-15th-February-2015_456794.pdf
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Hardly surprising UKIP voter satisfaction is so low - with the other three parties being against them. It's simple mathematics, not politics.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

You're saying the votes UKIP have got in the last two years by elections and Euros are solid kipper and not protest? Nice!

I think the answer is that neither Conservative voters nor Labour voters are a monolith.

Conservative voters in Greater London, or the wealthier parts of the Home Counties. or core cities probably dislike UKIP far more than they dislike Labour. The reverse is true of Conservative voters in the urban North, the East Coast, or Devon and Cornwall. Ditto Labour voters.

• Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

The question is whether UKIP voters can be squeezed tactically. That table doesn't give any party great hopes. Kippers seem a bit less hostile to David Cameron and the Conservatives than to Labour and the Lib Dems, but they're still hardly friendly.

The remaining Lib Dems, however, seem to like David Cameron and Labour, but dislike the Conservatives and Ed Miliband. Try to work out how the tactical voting might work from that.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

What was the turnout in those elections and how confident are you that when the turnout rises to 65% the Kipper share won't take a tumble ?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

It seems that UKIP's candidates are going to provide a lot of newspaper material in the coming campaign:

I'd be tempted to reply only I'd be criticised for hurting the Tories.
    Ok... I give in
    The amazement surely is that he is being parachuted in. It's a conscious choice.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

p.75
    http://comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/SM-IoS-Political-Poll-15th-February-2015_456794.pdf
    Maximum potential UKIP support is 29% with MORI or 34% with Com Res. Those scores take you a long way, in a multi-party system.

• Options
    Financier said:

Lord A's fun this week.

With the impending Oscars, he considers who should act as each of the Party leaders.

Lord A has a nice sense of humour.

Surprised nobody has suggested George Cole in his Arthur Daly guise for Nigel F.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Working on a few new markets for sporting index. Any markets that you would like us cover? Covered at past elections and would like us to do again?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

He stood in Barking - that's about right.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    I'm sure the true position is nothing like ICM.

But surely the big news from today's 3 polls is that the trend which appeared to be happening at the end of last week may well not in fact be happening.

ie At the end of last week (and in the Sunday polls) it appeared that the Lab lead had inched up to 2% or 2.5% from the 1.5% it had previously been at for some time.

Today's 3 polls average a Con lead of 0.3%. Of course that doesn't mean the true position is a Con lead of 0.3%. However if the true position was a Lab lead of 2% to 2.5% then it's pretty unlikely you would get 3 polls averaging approx 2.5% off that position.

I think the most likely answer is that the true position is a Lab lead of 1.5% - ie where we thought it was until a few days ago - ie that the polls at the end of last week and today are just a bit of random variation.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

p.75
    Maximum potential UKIP support is 29% with MORI or 34% with Com Res. Those scores take you a long way, in a multi-party system.

From the same poll:

UKIP would be dangerous if it had any power

Agree 55% (62% Conservative, 71% Labour, 66% Lib Dem)
    Disagree 26%

9% of UKIP supporters agree, which is quite revealing.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Big shout: I'm with ICM more than Ashcroft. As I believe both main Parties are closer to mid thirties than this.

My only comfort with the ICM poll is I think Lab are above 32%. But that could mean they're on just 33%. Which is still a 3 point deficit! Ha!

• Options
    Mr. Antifrank, that's only a useful question and set of answers if we have comparable stats for the other parties.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2015

Hey guys,

Working on a few new markets for sporting index. Any markets that you would like us cover? Covered at past elections and would like us to do again?

Great news that you're putting up some more markets. The 3-2-1 market was fascinating last time.

How about a spread on the UKIP vote share?

Also, are you going to un-suspend the Swingometer?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    '"But having come closest to predicting three of the last four general elections, ICM’s regular phone poll for the Guardian is seen as the gold standard, and so Monday’s result will bring the Tories particular cheer."

In terms of predicting party lead that claim is not accurate. In 1997 Gallup's final poll predicted a Labour lead of 13% which matched the actual outcome - ICM had given Labour a 10% lead. YouGov in 2001 predicted a 10% Labour lead compared with the outcome of 9% with ICM saying 11%..In 2005 NOP predicted the actual outcome of a 3% Labour lead compared with ICM's 6% lead.Finally in 2010 YouGov and MORI predicted a 7% Tory lead compared with the 7.3% outcome - ICM had predicted 8%.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

So can George Galloway
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

The question is whether UKIP voters can be squeezed tactically. That table doesn't give any party great hopes. Kippers seem a bit less hostile to David Cameron and the Conservatives than to Labour and the Lib Dems, but they're still hardly friendly.

The remaining Lib Dems, however, seem to like David Cameron and Labour, but dislike the Conservatives and Ed Miliband. Try to work out how the tactical voting might work from that.
    I think that amount of tactical voting is wildly exaggerated.. it implies a level of understanding of the nuances of the voting system that is way beyond the interest let alone understanding of 90% of voters
  • Options

FPT:

Let us take your reading of the Russia situation as accurate, and let us say that China wants to invade us into the bargain. There is simply no mechanism by which Trident is capable of warding either of them off. Trident can and will be used only when the US allows it. And frankly anyone who thinks the Americans will enter into a nuclear war to defend good old blighty from invasion needs a catscan. This article (which I post perrenially) needs reading: http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/45658/nonsense-heart-britains-independent-nuclear-defence
    How does non nuclear Europe ward off nuclear blackmail from China or Russia? How does non nuclear Europe influence anything or decide anything for itself in a world where the biggest countries in the world have nuclear weapons. Mr Black is entitled to his opinion. He is as wrong as ever. To be honest he is not only not right, it is not even wrong.
  • Options

Mr. Antifrank, that's only a useful question and set of answers if we have comparable stats for the other parties.

I take your point, but even taken on its own, it's hardly exactly a promising statistic for UKIP. Two out of three people who expressed a preference think that UKIP would be dangerous if it had any power.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,412

Agreed - it's what I said yesterday when we were looking at Labour +3. I doubt if the underlying position has changed significantly.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

What was the turnout in those elections and how confident are you that when the turnout rises to 65% the Kipper share won't take a tumble ?
    The turnouts are easily found if you want to and I am almost certain that the Kipper share will take a tumble

You worked out what odds you want to offer on UKIP winning a seat other than from a defector yet? I wont try and be sneaky and have you over on the fact that Carswell and Reckless are no longer defectors but UKIP incumbents

What price UKIP win a seat that isn't Clacton or Rochester (any future defectors don't count)?

C'mon lets do it!!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

p.75

From the same poll:

Disagree 26%

If there were one anti-UKIP party, that would be a problem for UKIP. But, we now have six parties with substantial levels of electoral support.

• Options

Financier said:

Lord A's fun this week.

Lord A has a nice sense of humour.

Surprised nobody has suggested George Cole in his Arthur Daly guise for Nigel F.
    David Cameron is surely Neil Dudgeon from Midsomer?
  • Options
    What happened to all those extra MP defectors to UKIP?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

p.75

From the same poll:

Disagree 26%

You seem a clever-ish guy, you must see that those numbers are good for a party that got 3% at the least GE?
  • Options

Hey guys,

UKIP second place finishes?
  • Options
    If Labour get in and start cracking down on tax "planning", I presume we wont see any of this kind of thing again....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2787307/Labour-donor-Lord-Sainsbury-avoids-27m-capital-gains-tax.html
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

p.75

From the same poll:

Disagree 26%

If there were one anti-UKIP party, that would be a problem for UKIP. But, we now have six parties with substantial levels of electoral support.

So you simultaneously believe that UKIP will benefit from tactical voting at the general election despite recording by far the worst favourability ratings of any party in the table above and that there will be no tactical voting against UKIP in any seat where UKIP are in contention despite voters believing by 2:1 that UKIP would be dangerous if it had any power?
  • Options
    ICM and Populus both on record lows for Labour this parliament?
  • Options

If Labour get in and start cracking down on tax "planning", I presume we wont see any of this kind of thing again....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2787307/Labour-donor-Lord-Sainsbury-avoids-27m-capital-gains-tax.html

That's 'good' avoidance. Totally different.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I take your point, but even taken on its own, it's hardly exactly a promising statistic for UKIP. Two out of three people who expressed a preference think that UKIP would be dangerous if it had any power.
    Why??? 97% of people voted for a different party at the last election
  • Options

Hey guys,

Multi-Minors. UKIP Seats x Green Seats x SNP seats x PC seats
  • Options
    Interesting that this poll suggest the Tories are on target for a 1997 level of success and Labour are barely ahead of their 2010 level of success. Could we see the leader of a party that polled less than 30% of those who voted (therefore likely less than 20% of those registered to vote) attempt to form the government?

Some mandate that will be. I do increasingly think (especially with the SNP dynamic) that this might be an excellent election to lose.
  • Options

Hey guys,

Good to hear from you, Jungle.

Any chance of some sort of market on number of second places? It could perhaps be done as a sort of Performance Index.
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

The turnouts are easily found if you want to and I am almost certain that the Kipper share will take a tumble

You worked out what odds you want to offer on UKIP winning a seat other than from a defector yet? I wont try and be sneaky and have you over on the fact that Carswell and Reckless are no longer defectors but UKIP incumbents

What price UKIP win a seat that isn't Clacton or Rochester (any future defectors don't count)?

C'mon lets do it!!
    We have a little bet on whether LDs will get more votes than the Kippers - more than happy with that especially as the downward purple worm trend continues.

• Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

p.75

From the same poll:

Disagree 26%

So you simultaneously believe that UKIP will benefit from tactical voting at the general election despite recording by far the worst favourability ratings of any party in the table above and that there will be no tactical voting against UKIP in any seat where UKIP are in contention despite voters believing by 2:1 that UKIP would be dangerous if it had any power?
    If UKIP were competing for power nationally against one anti-UKIP party, those would be bad numbers. They'd be in much the same position as the Conservatives were under William Hague.

But, at the moment, they're still expanding their support. What matters is what voters think of them in the areas where they're in contention. So far as one can tell, voters down the East Coast and South West are pretty receptive to UKIP's message. It doesn't matter if voters in Scotland or Greater London are very hostile.

• Options

I'm not sure the budget can shift anything much. Osborne ought to do what he can to help the self employed ie Ed Balls' hedge cutter, and more particularly small businesses. He can make a point of helping the North Sea oil industry. It would help define the point of the Union and in the process define a moderate anti left tory party in Scotland.
    With large numbers of public sector jobs being lost, the growth is self employment and the job creating abilities of small businesses seems to me where it is politic to give help.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and like most if not all of you I have no idea what to make of the polls. What is to say that today's Ashcroft with Tories down 4 isn't the outlier? Maybe next week we will have a better idea and certainly by 8th May we will know for sure.

One thing which seems more beyond doubt is the utter despair being felt in SLAB. With little encouragement a great many Labour figures admit they are staring down the barrel of a gun and face a mauling.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    philiph said:

What goes up must come down

---or go into orbit.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

C'mon lets do it!!
    We have a little bet on whether LDs will get more votes than the Kippers - more than happy with that especially as the downward purple worm trend continues.

You've laid a 2/7 shot at 10/11 and are more than happy?! Haha explains a lot

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-votes-ukip-v-lib-dem

Want to treble the stakes then? I'd be more than happy to oblige...
  • Options

Hey guys,

That would be agonising to bet on. There would be a substantial risk of zero, given the Greens' precarious position. Yet if they get just one, the final total could be over 1,000.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,355
    Isam.

I'm willing to lose my virginity on a political bet.

I'll take your wager that Ukip win only the two current seats or fewer. But I'd like 10/1 please. I'll bet a nice shiny one pound coin to win ten?

A bet?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,081
    edited February 2015
    chestnut said:

ICM and Populus both on record lows for Labour this parliament?

Not quite - 33% in Populus/The Times on 23rd June 2010
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    antifrank said:

Hey guys,

That would be agonising to bet on. There would be a substantial risk of zero, given the Greens' precarious position. Yet if they get just one, the final total could be over 1,000.

Could be done if zero seats are removed if they occur, otherwise it would be hugely volatile.

• Options
    CD13 said:

Isam.

I'm willing to lose my virginity on a political bet.

I'll take your wager that Ukip win only the two current seats or fewer. But I'd like 10/1 please. I'll bet a nice shiny one pound coin to win ten?

A bet?

If you want that kind of margin I am not surprised you have never had a political bet...

But seeing as it's just a pound I will lay it... I take 1/10 for a tenner, UKIP win a seat other than Rochester or Clacton
  • Options

antifrank said:

Hey guys,

Could be done if zero seats are removed if they occur, otherwise it would be hugely volatile.

That's the point of the bet
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,300
    So ICM have feet of clay.

Let YouGov decide
  • Options

Afternoon all and like most if not all of you I have no idea what to make of the polls. What is to say that today's Ashcroft with Tories down 4 isn't the outlier? Maybe next week we will have a better idea and certainly by 8th May we will know for sure.

One thing which seems more beyond doubt is the utter despair being felt in SLAB. With little encouragement a great many Labour figures admit they are staring down the barrel of a gun and face a mauling.

The loony left have been happy to be part of Labour previously to parrot their beliefs not least their anti nuclear ideas - but all their other left wing ideas as well. Nationally they could use their seats to keep Labour in power and at that time there was no serious alternative. They would have stayed with Labour if they had supported independence since independence would have enabled them to remove Trident and at the same time scupper the deterrent for rUK. But with Labour helping defeat independence there is no point them staying with Labour. A newly far left SNP - made more far left by them all joining it - is a suitable home for them. They feel they can form as good a blocking vote in the UK as they would with Labour. A better one in fact.
    There is no reason for left wingers to vote Labour anymore - certainly not the present Labour.
    This of course means that people whom are not left inclined will be voting SNP at their peril. There may not be many seats that suit the Tories but were there are they should be exposing the modern SNP for what they are.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Hey guys,

The correct move is usually to sell on these sorts of things, but it takes balls of steel!

7 UKIP * 2 Green * 50 SNP * 5 PC = 3500...
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    It's not so much what Osborne says here that's dodgy, it's his eyebrows while he says it (30 secs in) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20958315
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited February 2015
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

p.75

From the same poll:

Disagree 26%

The primary focus of tactical voting will be to deny/assist either Labour or the Tories in the battle for Downing Street. Now why would Labour voters vote against UKIP and help the Tories? Why would Tory voters vote against UKIP to help Labour. These are not rational choices to make from their perspective. Libdems and Greens are likely to decide their decision more on denying Labour or Tory dependent on their viewpoint. Which means the only people who will likely vote tactically against UKIP potentially are in the two seats they hold or are doing so based on irrational emotions and not political calculation and if its based on irrationality its certainly not tactical.

A more reasonable premise is that people in seats where their preferred government party are unlikely to/ cannot win could hold their nose and turn to UKIP (who will likely hold little influence in the next government) to try and stop the party they oppose from winning. How big those numbers might be depends on the sort of campaign UKIP have and whether they use such tactics in seats they have a chance of winning.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,355
    Isam,

Agreed.

As you're honest, I propose we give the winnings to Charity. Cafod for me, please.

I'm not being too unreasonable; I visit Boston on a regular basis and if they don't go Kipper, you'll know they've been taken over by aliens.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Hey guys,

The correct move is usually to sell on these sorts of things, but it takes balls of steel!

7 UKIP * 2 Green * 50 SNP * 5 PC = 3500...
    Alternatively you buy for 10p. Can still come to quite a bit.
  • Options

Never noticed you posting on here before, Frp, but if that's your usual standard, please, please keep posting!
    Sorry to disappoint but I've been posting (as fr) since about 2008. I used to "stalk" roger, nick and some Scots bloke but decided to take a Parliament off after the last election.
  • Options

Hey guys,

Great news that you're putting up some more markets. The 3-2-1 market was fascinating last time.

How about a spread on the UKIP vote share?

Also, are you going to un-suspend the Swingometer?
    Hey Richard,

I wasnt working at spin for the last election, but i have been going over the markets we offered for the last election and the business we took, and just looking at markets that would be worthwhile.

I know alot of you on here like spread betting and hold us in high regard but it seems we are not offering you enough from reading the comments over the last few months, so hoping to put that right in the next month.

Will definitely be looking at putting party % vote shares, il look into that for you this week. The Swingometer will be going back up, again will look to address that in the next week or so. I agree the 3-2-1 market was a great market looking back. However, it was a hell of alot of work and it would be especially more so in this election. We didn't take alot of bets on it too, so we wont be offering this, apologies.
This discussion has been closed.